PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Alex Garcia

ChumpDumper
07-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Where is this guy?

Is he healthy?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Excellent question. He'd be worthy of the 2nd backup point spot and a stint in the NDBL to work on his game.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2005, 12:33 PM
isnt he a shooting guard in a point guards body
we have two of those already

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Where is this guy?

Is he healthy?

I know that he hung out in San Antonio on and off all year because Dr. Schmidt did his surgery, etc. But I don't know how healthy he is.

Maybe Grande David has some news on him from Brazil.

timvp
07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
He's a favorite of Pop and a lot of players and coaches on the team. The Spurs were sad when the Hornets "stole" him last summer.

As a third point guard, the Spurs could do a lot worse.

timvp
07-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Garcia makes a lot of sense. He tore his ACL in December, so he probably needs a couple more months to heal. By training camp, he should be ready.

He's a favorite with the players and the coaches. When the Hornets stole him, Pop said something along the lines of that they'd find a way to bring him back.

Now is their chance.

I don't see any other third point guards that would fit as well as Garcia. The only three names that I like that have been mentioned are Wilks, Barrett and Garcia ... and I probably like Garcia better than Barrett.

timvp
07-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Spurs, Alamo City still close to Garcia
Web Posted: 02/17/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — Former Spurs point guard Alex Garcia stopped by the team's locker room Wednesday to visit with his old teammates.

Garcia was waived by the New Orleans Hornets two months ago, two weeks after he tore his left anterior cruciate ligament. He has remained in New Orleans to rehab the injury.

Prior to getting hurt, Garcia had earned a consistent role with the Hornets, averaging 18.3 minutes in eight games. New Orleans liked Garcia but waived him because it needed his roster spot after trading David Wesley to Houston for Bostjan Nachbar and Jim Jackson.

"I was playing well and I was comfortable here," Garcia said. "It just happened. Like last year."

Garcia fractured his left foot last preseason in the same game he solidified a roster spot with the Spurs. He missed more than half of the season.

The Spurs waived Garcia after the season for salary-cap reasons but intended to re-sign him if he cleared waivers. New Orleans scuttled those plans.

Garcia had Spurs physician David Schmidt perform his ACL surgery because he was pleased with how well he recovered after Schmidt repaired his foot. He also remains good friends with James Borrego, the Spurs' video coordinator.

Borrego served as an interpreter of sorts for Garcia, because he spoke only Portuguese and a little Spanish. The Spurs also enrolled him in English lessons last season.

Garcia, who was plucked off Brazil's national team by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, still speaks with Borrego weekly and travels to San Antonio whenever he can.

"I really like San Antonio," Garcia said. "If my English is no good, I can speak Spanish there."

Some rest for the weary: The Spurs don't play again until Wednesday, although not everybody will get that much time to rest.

Beno Udrih, who is playing in Friday's Rookie Challenge, and the Spurs assistant coaches will fly to Denver today. Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Popovich, who is coaching the West All-Star team, will arrive Friday.

The team will practice late Monday afternoon to give its All-Star participants a little more time to rest. The Spurs will hold a normal workout Tuesday morning.

As for those on the team who aren't going to Denver? Popovich doesn't want them to spend all four days off their feet, either.

"We want them to relax but probably try to do something that involves aerobics and a little bit of sweat," Popovich said, "so they stay in some modicum of shape."

Mr Furley
07-24-2005, 05:42 PM
No thanks.

been there.

Done that.

:)

SequSpur
07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Alex Garcia is terrible.

Sonia_TX
07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
I'd like to see him play for the Spurs again...a woman could never have too much eye candy. ;) I don't care if he's injured...he can sit on the bench for all I care. haha (yea I know, that won't help the Spurs...yada yada)

Spurologist
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
There's a reason why he's not in the NBA.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
There's a reason why he's not in the NBA.

True -- he tore his ACL.

Pop was disappointed when the Hornets picked him up off waivers (the Spurs were planning on waiving him and then picking him right back up after the grace period ended). So if he's healthy, I'm sure the Spurs will give him another look.

wildbill2u
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Can't we find/afford anyone who's not recently injured or a 'reclamation' project?

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Can't we find/afford anyone who's not recently injured or a 'reclamation' project?

For a third point guard?

Yeah, I'm sure they could find another young PG for the minimum somewhere. But we are just noting that the Spurs already liked Garcia and wanted him back at one point.