PDA

View Full Version : Championship-level mettle against the Nets and other random thoughts

timvp
02-11-2013, 01:55 AM
It's unwise to take too much from regular season action outside of wins, losses, point differential and a few select major statistical measures. By the time the playoffs roll around, the emotional highs and lows of the 82 tuneup games are mostly -- if not entirely -- forgotten. However, there are common traits that championship teams share. One such universal trait is the ability to self-correct during the midst of a game while exhibiting uncommon calmness in stormy waters.

I think that trait was present for the Spurs during their game tonight against the Nets. I'm uncomfortable throwing the C-word around but that was a very C-ish performance.

The Spurs were shorthanded going into the game. The feel-good, overachieving stage of playing without two of their three star players is over and the team is now faced with the harsh reality of having less weapons than the opposition. Winning with less while on the road is a daunting task, no matter the circumstances. In tonight's second quarter, Brooklyn had a double-digit lead in the second quarter and nothing was going right for San Antonio. The defense was faltering, the Nets were hitting improbable shots, the refs were allowing for a very physical game and the offense was strained to the limits trying to keep it close. It would have been easy for the Spurs to fold up their tents and go through the motions. Being shorthanded not only makes it more difficult to win, it offers a simple, reasonable excuse.

But instead of succumbing to the their own tale of woe, the Spurs righted the ship the way C teams have always done it: diagnosing midstream what is wrong, finding a solution and then imposing their will on the proceedings by playing to their strengths. In San Antonio's case on Sunday night, that meant becoming more physical in the paint, sending quicker help defense, crashing the boards with more ferocity, spacing the court on offense, and utilizing their superior speed, cohesion and passing to create open shots. The Spurs did just that. Turning the knob 180 degrees within a game illustrated a special type of conviction and awareness mortal teams usually don't possess.

I'm not saying the Spurs should be the favorites. I'm not saying a C is in their future. But if you were on the lookout for a promising sign, tonight's game offered a glimpse.

-One area that killed the Spurs last year in the postseason was the lack of interior defense when Tim Duncan was on the bench. Early on against the Nets, that same soft underbelly reared its gooey head. However, the Spurs worked through it and found ways to compensate. Tiago Splitter's improvements were the most notable as the contest progressed but most everyone else also chipped in. The bigs became more physical and the perimeter players defended with more determination and allowed only obstructed ventures into the paint. That's the recipe the Spurs will have to use in the playoffs when Duncan is on the bench.

-We've all made it a point to appreciate what Tim Duncan has done this season. What he's done is truly amazing for someone his age. But we need to be using that same verbiage with regards to Tony Parker. The level he's playing on right now is truly special. I don't even need to rattle off the numbers; if you've watched the games, it's obvious. It's not only the best basketball Parker has ever played, it's the best any Spur has played since Duncan's prime. That is in no way an overstatement. Parker has been as good or better than anyone south of LeBron James for the last 20-25 games.

-San Antonio's small forward position really clicked against the Nets. Kawhi Leonard fit in offensively. He made a difference on D with his activity. Stephen Jackson stayed within his strengths on offense. Defensively, he played a bulldog brand of ball that disrupted Brooklyn's flow repeatedly. When the Spurs get that type of one-two punch from their SFs, they are much more difficult to defeat.

-I have to give my daughter credit for her craftiness. Her new method to con her way out of going to bed is to sobbingly tell me how much she wants to watch basketball. No, you have to go to bed. But I want to watch baaaaasketball. Please, daddy, please. No you have to go to bed. But I like basketball. Sorry you can't.

-She watches intently but doesn't say much other than to point out when a player falls down or gives a high-five. She doesn't seem to mind when I replay the same possession three or four times to see exactly what happened. Her coaxing ability at that young of age scares me, to be honest. Well played, Lala, well played. Your mother is going to be mad if she sees you in here with me past midnight ... but well played.

-I get a little queasy thinking how this season could ride on whether Danny Green is randomly hot or randomly cold at the right time. The good news is that I don't think Green choked against the Thunder. The bad news is that I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to his shooting streaks. It could come down to pure, unadulterated luck.

-If the Spurs can win one of these final two games before the All-Star break, I think they'll be in great shape. They'll be on pace to win 62 games -- and that's not factoring in their home-heaving closing stretch. But, of course, being healthy for the playoffs is priority No. 1.

-Another promising sign: The Spurs are doing great so far this season but it's logical to ascertain that the best may be yet to come. Pop hasn't settled on a rotation. Many role players have underachieved and can be expected to play better between today and the end of the season. The offense hasn't revved up to the level it reached last season. The more Splitter, Duncan and Leonard learn to play with each other, the better the defense should become. Exciting -- healthy permitting -- times could lie ahead.

-It's 2013 and we're still talking about Cs. That's shocking in and of itself.

200 miles
02-11-2013, 02:06 AM
It's unwise to take too much from regular season action outside of wins, losses, point differential and a few select major statistical measures. By the time the playoffs roll around, the emotional highs and lows of the 82 tuneup games are mostly -- if not entirely -- forgotten. However, there are common traits that championship teams share. One such universal trait is the ability to self-correct during the midst of a game while exhibiting uncommon calmness in stormy waters.

I think that trait was present for the Spurs during their game tonight against the Nets. I'm uncomfortable throwing the C-word around but that was a very C-ish performance.

The Spurs were shorthanded going into the game. The feel-good, overachieving stage of playing without two of their three star players is over and the team is now faced with the harsh reality of having less weapons than the opposition. Winning with less while on the road is a daunting task, no matter the circumstances. In tonight's second quarter, Brooklyn had a double-digit lead in the second quarter and nothing was going right for San Antonio. The defense was faltering, the Nets were hitting improbable shots, the refs were allowing for a very physical game and the offense was strained to the limits trying to keep it close. It would have been easy for the Spurs to fold up their tents and go through the motions. Being shorthanded not only makes it more difficult to win, it offers a simple, reasonable excuse.

But instead of succumbing to the their own tale of woe, the Spurs righted the ship the way C teams have always done it: diagnosing midstream what is wrong, finding a solution and then imposing their will on the proceedings by playing to their strengths. In San Antonio's case on Sunday night, that meant becoming more physical in the paint, sending quicker help defense, crashing the boards with more ferocity, spacing the court on offense, and utilizing their superior speed, cohesion and passing to create open shots. The Spurs did just that. Turning the knob 180 degrees within a game illustrated a special type of conviction and awareness mortal teams usually don't possess.

I'm not saying the Spurs should be the favorites. I'm not saying a C is in their future. But if you were on the lookout for a promising sign, tonight's game offered a glimpse.

-One area that killed the Spurs last year in the postseason was the lack of interior defense when Tim Duncan was on the bench. Early on against the Nets, that same soft underbelly reared its gooey head. However, the Spurs worked through it and found ways to compensate. Tiago Splitter's improvements were the most notable as the contest progressed but most everyone else also chipped in. The bigs became more physical and the perimeter players defended with more determination and allowed only obstructed ventures into the paint. That's the recipe the Spurs will have to use in the playoffs when Duncan is on the bench.

-We've all made it a point to appreciate what Tim Duncan has done this season. What he's done is truly amazing for someone his age. But we need to be using that same verbiage with regards to Tony Parker. The level he's playing on right now is truly special. I don't even need to rattle off the numbers; if you've watched the games, it's obvious. It's not only the best basketball Parker has ever played, it's the best any Spur has played since Duncan's prime. That is in no way an overstatement. Parker has been as good or better than anyone south of LeBron James for the last 20-25 games.

-San Antonio's small forward position really clicked against the Nets. Kawhi Leonard fit in offensively. He made a difference on D with his activity. Stephen Jackson stayed within his strengths on offense. Defensively, he played a bulldog brand of ball that disrupted Brooklyn's flow repeatedly. When the Spurs get that type of one-two punch from their SFs, they are much more difficult to defeat.

-I have to give my daughter credit for her craftiness. Her new method to con her way out of going to bed is to sobbingly tell me how much she wants to watch basketball. No, you have to go to bed. But I want to watch baaaaasketball. Please, daddy, please. No you have to go to bed. But I like basketball. Sorry you can't.

-She watches intently but doesn't say much other than to point out when a player falls down or gives a high-five. She doesn't seem to mind when I replay the same possession three or four times to see exactly what happened. Her coaxing ability at that young of age scares me, to be honest. Well played, Lala, well played. Your mother is going to be mad if she sees you in here with me past midnight ... but well played.

-I get a little queasy thinking how this season could ride on whether Danny Green is randomly hot or randomly cold at the right time. The good news is that I don't think Green choked against the Thunder. The bad news is that I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to his shooting streaks. It could come down to pure, unadulterated luck.

-If the Spurs can win one of these final two games before the All-Star break, I think they'll be in great shape. They'll be on pace to win 62 games -- and that's not factoring in their home-heaving closing stretch. But, of course, being healthy for the playoffs is priority No. 1.

-Another promising sign: The Spurs are doing great so far this season but it's logical to ascertain that the best may be yet to come. Pop hasn't settled on a rotation. Many role players have underachieved and can be expected to play better between today and the end of the season. The offense hasn't revved up to the level it reached last season. The more Splitter, Duncan and Leonard learn to play with each other, the better the defense should become. Exciting -- healthy permitting -- times could lie ahead.

Good take. :tu

Brunodf
02-11-2013, 02:10 AM
:toast

Spursfanfromafar
Nice post. Thanks.

- Over the past few months, Stephen Jackson's play is what has been mildly worrying. Spurs fans love him for his competitiveness & edginess, but the steep fall in his shooting %s, his slowness on lateral movement and general underwhelming performances have raised questions even among his evangelical supporters. It is good to see that he has undone a bit of his inconsistency and mediocrity to show that he can still dominate on defense, even if only in a game against the woeful Nets.

-- TP has been the best player for the Spurs not just this season the but one prior as well. He has been a true leader who has carried this team and not just on the court. From the limited that I get to read, he has chaperoned Boris Diaw last year, done something close to it this year with Nando de Colo. Has been a fountain of encouragement for Dejuan Blair.. he has helped players around him (and of his age group relative to Manu's and Tim's) to gel better and play better. Thats pretty much CP3 territory and in line with the latter's prowess. All this after taking a pay cut as well. His $12 mil / yr contract in hindsight is a steal for the Spurs relative his past achievements.

--- Yes. the Spurs are right there in the Championship conversation. One hopes that all the other stuff - health, referee luck etc also falls into the right place this time around. I seriously believe that the Spurs can come out of the WCF relatively unscathed and will then face a challenge of their lifetime against Heat; who by the way IMO are beatable.

Hoops Czar
The Spurs looked good in the second half but the Nets are dreadful... 9-18 vs + .500 teams. I think that helped a little.

ElNono
02-11-2013, 02:11 AM
thanks for the writeup, LJ... we won with defense. That's the bottom line for me. Against Detroit and the 1st quarter tonight, I saw ugly ghosts of the past. This team cannot afford to trade baskets for long stretches or be lazy on D.

Going forward I'm still uncomfortable with the Blair/Bonner situation behind our top 3 bigs. Blair is junk. Matty just isn't very good if his shot isn't falling. The other area of concern is SG, on the defensive end specifically. Neither Neal or Green are very good (with Neal being really bad overall). And given they have a fairly important role on the team, that's somewhat worrying. It was crazy tonight that a much slower Jack did a better job on Joe Johnson than Danny. I've been saying the problem with Green is mental, and he's still behind where he needs to be on the defensive end.

But yeah, Tony has been phenomenal, tbh. Kawhi also, IMO, is way above expectations for a sophomore. He can be really special. And Tiago has developed pretty well, even though I wish he would be more assertive around the glass.

At this stage I feel much more comfortable with this team than last season. The defense is where it needs to be to have a shot, IMO. We need to make sure we don't pull a Pistons and bring it every night.

spurraider21
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
thanks for the writeup, LJ... we won with defense. That's the bottom line for me. Against Detroit and the 1st quarter tonight, I saw ugly ghosts of the past. This team cannot afford to trade baskets for long stretches or be lazy on D.

Going forward I'm still uncomfortable with the Blair/Bonner situation behind our top 3 bigs. Blair is junk. Matty just isn't very good if his shot isn't falling. The other area of concern is SG, on the defensive end specifically. Neither Neal or Green are very good (with Neal being really bad overall). And given they have a fairly important role on the team, that's somewhat worrying. It was crazy tonight that a much slower Jack did a better job on Joe Johnson than Danny. I've been saying the problem with Green is mental, and he's still behind where he needs to be on the defensive end.

But yeah, Tony has been phenomenal, tbh. Kawhi also, IMO, is way above expectations for a sophomore. He can be really special. And Tiago has developed pretty well, even though I wish he would be more assertive around the glass.

At this stage I feel much more comfortable with this team than last season. The defense is where it needs to be to have a shot, IMO. We need to make sure we don't pull a Pistons and bring it every night.

Keep in mind that when Tim comes back thats about 30 minutes less of Bonner/Blair, so that should be reassuring :lol

Green's defense has been really on and off. He'll get scorched by Joe Johnson, but has dominated OJ Mayo. Fortunately he's not going to have to play too much on the ball defense against OKC. His toughest matchup will be Kevin Martin, and its not like OKC is going to give him iso's. If Green can do a decent job chasing around screens, his defensive inconsistency won't be too huge a factor against OKC. Miami is a different animal.

ElNono
02-11-2013, 02:27 AM
Green's defense has been really on and off. He'll get scorched by Joe Johnson, but has dominated OJ Mayo. Fortunately he's not going to have to play too much on the ball defense against OKC. His toughest matchup will be Kevin Martin, and its not like OKC is going to give him iso's. If Green can do a decent job chasing around screens, his defensive inconsistency won't be too huge a factor against OKC. Miami is a different animal.

I'm not as relieved as you are about KMart vs Green. Kevin Martin has to be top 3 in the league flopping for contact when driving to the rack, and Danny is a guy that loves to go for the boneheaded block attempt. Danny also seemingly has a lot of trouble going around screens. Maybe my memory is deceiving me, but I didn't think he was as bad last season. Kawhi, on the other hand, has been superb.

Mel_13
02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
From the time that Blair lost his spot as a starter until the time Tim got injured, the Blair/Bonner combo had all but disappeared outside of garbage time. I expect that pair to be relegated back to that role once Tim returns.

Mel_13
02-11-2013, 02:33 AM

Enjoy the journey for as long as it lasts.

FkLA
02-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Youve got a talent for writing, nigga. Great read but I do have to disagree with Parker being better than 05' Ginobili tbh...love the way Tony is playing but I just think Manu was better.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm not as relieved as you are about KMart vs Green. Kevin Martin has to be top 3 in the league flopping for contact when driving to the rack, and Danny is a guy that loves to go for the boneheaded block attempt. Danny also seemingly has a lot of trouble going around screens. Maybe my memory is deceiving me, but I didn't think he was as bad last season. Kawhi, on the other hand, has been superb.

His defense against screens was just as bad last year IIRC..it's troublesome in a league that heavily promotes usage of screens, especially against OKC, a team that executes the screen game as well as any team in the NBA..

I would feel more comfortable having Green guard Westbrook, tbh..Green's defense is seemingly good vs. PGs, regardless of their style, while it is just average or worse against other positions IMO..

ElNono
02-11-2013, 02:48 AM
His defense against screens was just as bad last year IIRC..it's troublesome in a league that heavily promotes usage of screens, especially against OKC, a team that executes the screen game as well as any team in the NBA..

I would feel more comfortable having Green guard Westbrook, tbh..Green's defense is seemingly good vs. PGs, regardless of their style, while it is just average or worse against other positions IMO..

I like that, tbh. Tony on KMart also doubles to both rest Tony, since KMart isn't as involved when KD and Chuck are out there, and I don't mind if KMart feels he can shoot over Tony and wants to go on a chucking spree.

Floyd Pacquiao
02-11-2013, 02:52 AM

One of our main worries, frightening tbh.

siraulo23
02-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Tony Parker is playing the best basketball since 08 09, his jump shot is working and he's got he's floater tear drops going as well

Is he peaking too early? Will he slow down in the POs? I hope not

^ I agree, green on Westbrook and tony on k mart might work in the POs, tp is good going around screens

timvp
02-11-2013, 03:13 AM
The Spurs looked good in the second half but the Nets are dreadful... 9-18 vs + .500 teams. I think that helped a little.The quality of the opposition is typically overblown in the regular season when judging individual games. I'd argue a team like the Spurs can make as much progress against a bad team than against a great team. Hell, the two most vital regular season wins in recent Spurs history were probably those back-to-back wins over the Clippers and Warriors back in 2005. Those two teams sucked but it didn't make those games any less important.

Great read but I do have to disagree with Parker being better than 05' Ginobili tbh...love the way Tony is playing but I just think Manu was better.Duncan's prime went to 2007 so I wasn't comparing current Parker to 2005 Playoff Manu. That's apples and oranges, tbh. Ginobili painted that masterpiece in the playoffs, so that's a different animal. He also had a prime Duncan next to him -- that has to be factored in. Parker is doing this in the regular season but he's also doing it with sporadic (at best) help.

I'd take 2005 Playoff Manu's run since that alone made Manu immortal but TP is balling something fierce right now.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-11-2013, 03:21 AM
The way Parker and Leonard played the 2nd half was awesome.... Leonard seemed to be everywhere on defense, and Parker single handedly dominated every possession on the offensive side.

I really am underwhelmed with decolo... I love the way he passes and his d, but I think unless he can become somewhat of a scoring threat, he's gonna be a liability against the clippers or thunder.

FkLA
02-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Duncan's prime went to 2007 so I wasn't comparing current Parker to 2005 Playoff Manu. That's apples and oranges, tbh. Ginobili painted that masterpiece in the playoffs, so that's a different animal. He also had a prime Duncan next to him -- that has to be factored in. Parker is doing this in the regular season but he's also doing it with sporadic (at best) help.

I'd take 2005 Playoff Manu's run since that alone made Manu immortal but TP is balling something fierce right now.

I got you, for whatever reason I took it as this is the best peak by any Spurs player since Duncan peaked. Hopefully Parker can keep it up in the playoffs this time tbh. :tu

Kori Ellis
02-11-2013, 03:42 AM
Wait a minute... Our 3-year-old daughter was up at midnight watching replays of a Nets game? A Nets game?

boutons_deux
02-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Lala? Los Angeles? :)

polandprzem
02-11-2013, 06:19 AM
If she is not waking up b4 8am why not Kori? :)

'If' - of course

Hmm LJ spurs played Nets a team that is struggling lately

Spurs Brazil
02-11-2013, 08:05 AM

:tu

SpursRock20
02-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Wait a minute... Our 3-year-old daughter was up at midnight watching replays of a Nets game? A Nets game?

Bonner got some playing time last night. Don't you know that the kids love Bon-Bon? :hat

Capt Bringdown
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
I thought the Spurs were done and was surprised to them lift their game. It looked like one of those nights.
Not impressed with Diaw or Bonner, however. Diaw appears to have the physical gifts of a banger but the heart and head of a ballet dancer. We do not need another finesse big. And Bonner couldn't stay in front of a fire hydrant.

benefactor
02-11-2013, 08:18 AM
:tu

jmard5
02-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Wow. Nice read timvp. Cheers!

diego
02-11-2013, 08:34 AM
It's not only the best basketball Parker has ever played, it's the best any Spur has played since Duncan's prime. That is in no way an overstatement.

I've been on vacations so I've only seen box scores of the past couple weeks games...
has TP been better than manu in feb/march of 09/10? IIRC he carried the team while parker was out and was getting some MVP votes that year, not sure if I'm mixing up who was out or what year it was. Between bogans, mason, RJ and the turd towers I've tried to erase 09-11 from memory

Gagnrath
02-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Outch busted, told on yourself even.

jjktkk
02-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Nice job Tim. Essentially, this is same Spurs team from last year, but the Spurs are better overall defensively. The "C" discussion is legit.

kjhip1
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Normally don't write up on the board but gotta say its good to be deployed and catch all the updates from here about the Spurs! Most of the time, games don't come on till very early morning but the first spot I check when I get into work is spurstalk! Great write up timvp, btw I know this looking very far ahead but in a potential matchup with the heat, how the heck do we account for leron James? I mean I can't stand how arrogant he can be but do u play Him straight up? He owned the lakers last night. Gotta believe we get another big before the trade deadline to at least be physical with him when he comes into the paint unless baynes can fill the role! Just my .02! Go Spurs Go

Obstructed_View
02-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Forgot to mention Jack in the game thoughts thread. For those who have been bagging on him over the last few weeks, last night is why some of us have been defending him. He stepped in when the whole team was unable to prevent the Nets from scoring and just started to disrupt. I don't remember any amazing plays off the top of my head, but he knocked the ball around, pushed people out of position and drew fouls. He was the guy putting his oar in the water and getting the boat back on course. It's the same thing he did against OKC when everyone else was fading. Every C run for the Spurs had that kind of intervention from a vet off the bench.

rascal
02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
The Nets are not a championship level team. I saw Miami toy with them then blow them out on their home court a week ago.

manufan10
02-11-2013, 11:08 AM

And it's been quite a journey.

dbestpro
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice read. My question is how do we handle Sefolosha on Parker come playoff time? Brooks won't make this play during the regular season so there is little time to figure it out.

Mel_13
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice read. My question is how do we handle Sefolosha on Parker come playoff time? Brooks won't make this play during the regular season so there is little time to figure it out.

The shooters will have to make their shots. Tony won't be able to defeat a defense specifically designed to contain him unless he gets help from his teammates.

silverblk mystix
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Good read, good writing. :toast

This season has been fun to watch. Last season - was very hard to watch. I didn't even feel upset last night watching Blair/Bonner because it is very different from last year-where Blair/Bonner was actually Pop's first and only option. It became a torturous endeavor watching the Spurs.

If DeColo or Mills could be assigned the back-up pg role - it would really solidify the team a little more IMO.

Nice win on the road.

Paranoid Pop
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't see a championship team, getting outrebounded that badly doesn't make me hopeful and thinking about a championship tbh.

I do see players worthy of being part of a championship core with TP, Tim, Manu, KY, Boris, Sjax but it's such a long shot. There's too much softness, too little size, and tbh I don't really trust Pop to get it done, he's still playing Blair in February, still playing 3 backup PGs, still going microball every chance he gets...

Paranoid Pop
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
One thing that I loved is that KY got involved a lot and was very aggressive even during halfcourt possessions, I loved that, I'm not sure how good he will get but they have to free him minute wise but also free him from the Bowen/Danny Green mold, he can do so much more, I feel confident that if they involve him like that more, he will eventually become a potential 2nd or third banana on a championship team, probably more of a third banana but who knows.

capek
02-11-2013, 11:50 AM

BUSTED! :wow :lol

Thanks for the writeup. :tu

I'm most curious to see how Tony's new found leadership ability will translate in the playoffs this year. Spurs fans know better than almost any NBA fan what it takes for C-ish team to become a C team. A lot of things have to go right, and having a player play like the leader Tony is showing this season would be huge. Because of health issues and nagging injuries, Timmy and Manu have not been able to bring that to the playoffs since '07. This is the first year where Tony has really showed the potential to bring that kind of play consistently. It's not a given that he'll be able to do that in the playoffs, but it's never looked more promising.

GlobalSpur
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM

TimVP - I've been coming to this forum for years. I know you get plenty of praise already but i wanted to jump on the bandwagon and say that I truly enjoy reading your posts. The way you write and articulate your thoughts truly is a gift.

I'm a huge Spurs fan so that keeps me coming back. But reading your posts makes it much more enjoyable.

Keep up the good work!

phxspurfan
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
-She watches intently but doesn't say much other than to point out when a player falls down or gives a high-five.

I'd bet she loves the coyote scenes. Or the World Car Kia Hamster commercials if you're watching it live.

That's how it always is, isn't it? Winners always have a ton of luck. Harden with all those BS shots against us in the WCFs. The Heat slithering past the Celtics and Pacers, even though they hardly looked like champions in either series. And going back to '94, my beloved John Starks going absolutely bone chillingly cold in game 7 against the Rockettes

:*(

I also thought about this and the greatness of TD the other day. I'm so lucky to be a fan of one of the longest lasting great teams in bball history. It's been 14 years since I started watching and I'm still excited to go home and watch TD play. Amazing...and thanks TD.

mvparker
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi Spurs fans... In case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhe9g6uA8g

dylankerouac
02-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the read Timvp, enjoyable as always.

spursmartyr
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

That's why you close games with Parker/Manu/Kawhi/Jax/Duncan or Parker/Manu/Kawhi/Duncan/Splitter vs. OKC.

dbreiden83080
02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Nice job Tim. Essentially, this is same Spurs team from last year, but the Spurs are better overall defensively. The "C" discussion is legit.

When is see this team play i think "Man if only Tim was a little closer to his prime the Chip would be almost a lock" But it will have to be a total team effort to get it done. Manu being healthy for the payoffs is a huge concern since he just seems so fragile these days.. Tony looks like he will hit the playoffs with something to prove after last years WCF..

Mugen
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Spurs fans... In case you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhe9g6uA8g

Patty rubbing off on Jack @ 3:04

benefactor
02-11-2013, 01:44 PM
The shooters will have to make their shots. Tony won't be able to defeat a defense specifically designed to contain him unless he gets help from his teammates.
This...and Duncan will have to play at the elite level we have been seeing this season.

There is a lot of truth to the theory that elite PG's can't carry a team to a title, mostly because of the reason you have stated. They are easier to game plan for over a dominant SG or SF because they work better playing within the offense and when they face a team that can disrupt it via pick and roll defense or cutting off passing lanes they struggle. This is where the shooters and Duncan have to take up the slack so that they can be accounted for.

wildbill2u
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
TimVP isn't wrong about the level of play that TP is bringing to this season. I watch NBA=TV a lot and respect the level of commentary by veteran retired players who know what they are talking about. Regarding the Nets game, Steve Smith, (a 13 year NBA player, All-star, and Spur in our 2003 Championship season.) basically said:

TP is having a year that puts him south of only LeBron. He imposed his will on the Nets. He did whatever he wanted to and he is the leader of the Spurs now.

No question that TP is playing at that level. He is a coaches designated ALL-Star. He makes everyone else better, but if they can't help carry the load because of a slump or a bad game, or aging skills, he puts the team on his back. BRAVO!

I'd like to comment on TIMVPs analysis of the intangible asset of a team that MAY or MIGHT be a legitimate Championship contender. That intangible might be characterized as the "HEART and BRAINS of a CHAMPION." In other words, the never say die attitude that can maintain their composure when behind in the score and the skills to correct and overcome that adversity.

It is not something that every team has. It takes a tremendous amount of trust in each other and trust in their coach.

I always remember the 1999 championship team as having that intangible in spades. I can't begin to tell you about how many games they were behind in the 4th quarter, but I wasn't worried. I was confident that they had that intangible "Heart and Mind of a Champion" and would persevere and come out on top. Most times they did. Sometimes the time just ran out on them but they never quit.

If the current team is developing that "Heart and Mind of a Champion" they can't be counted out.

Embedded
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I had thought last night was going to be one of those nights - in Brooklyn's house, no answer to Lopez's offense, I was stunned when we came back and blew them out. Wow. I think Stephen Jackson coasts a lot during regular season, but I think he has the heart, snot, and boogers of a champion, DON'T underestimate that guy. I don't have a problem with that, and I am glad to see Tiago staying grounded around the rim, I would like him 100% for these playoffs, don't need him playing risky ball now and stepping on somebody's foot. Look how durable he's turned out to be - amazing!!!

Old School 44
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I missed the second half. Quite honestly, I wasn't sure if they were going to come back. I was pleasantly surprised they came back, and then some.

To me the biggest difference overall in this run for the championship is Splitter. His play this year changes so much directly and indirectly for everyone from last year to this year.

- mobile, long defensive help for Duncan
- great hands, footwork and decisions around the basket
- one of the best pick and rollers iin the league, someone the opposing defense has to account for with Tony/Manu slashing
- vastly improved free throw shooting
- no significant minutes for Blair/Bonner

ffadicted
02-11-2013, 02:57 PM

LJ plz ;-;

crc21209
02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Forgot to mention Jack in the game thoughts thread. For those who have been bagging on him over the last few weeks, last night is why some of us have been defending him. He stepped in when the whole team was unable to prevent the Nets from scoring and just started to disrupt. I don't remember any amazing plays off the top of my head, but he knocked the ball around, pushed people out of position and drew fouls. He was the guy putting his oar in the water and getting the boat back on course. It's the same thing he did against OKC when everyone else was fading. Every C run for the Spurs had that kind of intervention from a vet off the bench.

Bingo. Jack is a very smart basketball player. He knows his role and knows what is needed at times when the team needs help the most. Not only was he disruptive on the defensive end, but I think he got the Spurs out of a little offensive funk in the 2nd quarter when it looked like the game may get away from them. Jack scored on an ISO jumper from the left block, and on the very next play he had a nice assist to Blair that led to a layup...

Obstructed_View
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Bingo. Jack is a very smart basketball player. He knows his role and knows what is needed at times when the team needs help the most. Not only was he disruptive on the defensive end, but I think he got the Spurs out of a little offensive funk in the 2nd quarter when it looked like the game may get away from them. Jack scored on an ISO jumper from the left block, and on the very next play he had a nice assist to Blair that led to a layup...

Yep. I think people forget that Jack could be scoring 20 a night for a bad team right now. I trust him to pick his spots. Tonight he's going to get some minutes at the 2. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do well. I think yesterday was his first game without two fingers taped together.

rascal
02-11-2013, 06:11 PM

She could do the late nights, she doesn't go to school and can nap at any time.

Arcadian
02-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Not really. We still have Tim Duncan with very good pieces around him. That's always a C-formula, if you will.

But I agree, there are reasons to be optimistic about our chances this year. Mainly Tiago Splitter coming into his own and helping Tim with big-man responsibilities.

DPG21920
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I just don't get why timvp somewhat acts like it's a big surprise the Spurs win games without Tim and/or Manu. At least as of late, the team has shown to be very competitive no matter who is healthy (see MIA game). While I am not saying it's easy, saying things like the Spurs will likely go 4-5 on this RRT (when looking at who they play), I am not surprised they are able to win at all.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Bonner got some playing time last night. Don't you know that the kids love Bon-Bon? :hat

True! They love that redhead. Bonner was our older (4 year old) son's fave player the last two years, but now he's on the TP bandwagon.

All our kids watch basketball, obviously, but the daughter he is referencing watches it very intently -- like she's going to have an exam later about the game. :lol

TD 21
02-11-2013, 07:32 PM

It doesn't ride on any one thing specifically. I also don't think he choked against the Thunder, either. He was so obscenely hot for so long that he was bound to hit a dry spell (I was practically hoping that it happened at some point during the first two rounds, so that he could resume being on fire during the WCF). Jackson basically did the reverse of what Green did, but because of his playoff exploits in '03 and '07, we were (myself included) more apt to describe his performance as clutch.

Disagree that Pop hasn't settled on a rotation. He's just messing around, getting guys experience, rationing minutes, etc. Barring injury (or trade), I think it's pretty clear we're looking at a Splitter, Leonard, Duncan, Green, Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, Jackson, Neal, playoff rotation.

Agree that many role players have underachieved. If Duncan and Parker hadn't played out of their minds and Splitter weren't finally playing a roll commensurate with his production, where would this team be?

As far as the offense goes, I'm skeptical they can get back to that level with their current rotation. But I guess with the defense much improved, it might not have to. Still, slight improvement is probably necessary.

team-work
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Parker seemed to have overcome a rough start offensively to finish at 12-21. That in itself also demonstrated a C-trait.

rascal
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
True! They love that redhead. Bonner was our older (4 year old) son's fave player the last two years, but now he's on the TP bandwagon.

All our kids watch basketball, obviously, but the daughter he is referencing watches it very intently -- like she's going to have an exam later about the game. :lol

Liking Bonner is liking the clown. Your son is getting older and wants to see a good player now.

You should buy a small hoop and they can play small ball.

team-work
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Great write-up as usual. Enjoying the analysis as well as the team's performance.

spurs10
02-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Had to go back and re-read this thread. Damn good writing. Damn good journalism to be honest. :toast