PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Do you see any of these franchise players bringing a championship ring

StrengthAndHonor
02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
to their respective teams within the next 5 years? I'm talking about them being the 1st option on their team btw.

Dwight-Lakers
Melo- Knicks
Rose-Bulls
D. Williams- Nets
Durant- OKC
CP3 or Griffin- Clippers
Love- Minnesota
Bynum-76ers
Rondo-Celtics
S.Curry or David Lee/ GSW
Andrew Wiggins-Insert team

From this list, I can only see CP3 and perhaps Durant as the only players guaranteed to bring a title within the next 5 years. Maybe Rose too but Lebron really owns that conference for the next 4-5 years barring injury and he may not even be the same player anymore once he comes back. I don't see Dwight being able to lead a team to a title or even Melo tbh.

Clipper Nation
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Brook Lopez is the Nets' franchise player, tbh....

StrengthAndHonor
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
This year I agree but the Nets need Deron Williams to be his old self if they want a chance. I do believe he'll be back to form next year. This year has been just bad for him.

Clipper Nation
02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Also, CP3 could very well deliver a ring soon but it'll be easier for prime Griffin to do so.... it's not easy for a point guard to lead a team to a ring, but CP3 has by far the best chance to do it....

SpursIndonesia
02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Even a player as great as LBJ still needs the superfriends to get him the champ ring, so it's quite hard to judge & analyze teams chance for championship based on one or two individuals. But i can see where the OP's thread coming from, quite understandable.

Outside of the apparent answers, i'm very intrigued by Andrew Bynum. IMHO, he's the only player in that list that if fully healthy (so fuckin big IF) and get matured + having leadership, can turn a franchise into a true contender. A dominant low post scorer is rare, especially when he's also skilled while strong & athletic enough at the same time. And defensively, i see so much potential in him to be a defensive anchor down low.

Many things outside himself will also need to be adressed correctly if Philly would ever be discussed as champ contender (like the maturity & development of other young role players/side kicks such as Turner & Holiday, getting shooters, etc), but IF that super slim chance can ever get through, EVERYTHING falls in place and goes their way, the Sixers can be a contender within the next 5 years.

stretch
02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
to their respective teams within the next 5 years? I'm talking about them being the 1st option on their team btw.

Dwight-Lakers
Melo- Knicks
Rose-Bulls
D. Williams- Nets
Durant- OKC
CP3 or Griffin- Clippers
Love- Minnesota
Bynum-76ers
Rondo-Celtics
S.Curry or David Lee/ GSW
Andrew Wiggins-Insert team

From this list, I can only see CP3 and perhaps Durant as the only players guaranteed to bring a title within the next 5 years. Maybe Rose too but Lebron really owns that conference for the next 4-5 years barring injury and he may not even be the same player anymore once he comes back. I don't see Dwight being able to lead a team to a title or even Melo tbh.

I don't think any of them have any sort of guarantee, because they have the misfortune of playing in the Lebron era, much like Barkley, Ewing, Malone, and others had the misfortune of playing in the MJ era.

One of them could certainly win a ring, but a guarantee? Certainly not.

AaronY
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't think any of them have any sort of guarantee, because they have the misfortune of playing in the Lebron era, much like Barkley, Ewing, Malone, and others had the misfortune of playing in the MJ era.

Troof bomb

Durant obv has the best chance as he is far and away the best player on the list

SpursIndonesia
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Yeah, i agree with this. LBJ alone is hard enough, but teamed up with superfriends ?? That's truly an everest like mountain top to climb for any other superstars. That's why i'm still so very puzzled by OKC decision to scuttle their big three so damn early in their reign. I think the trio of Durant, Harden, and Westbrook is the only legit big three challenger that can be realistically fielded in the next 2-3 years to really compete with Miami's three amigos. Those all have come to naught with Harden departure.

Jodelo
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Rondo :lmao

stretch
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Troof bomb

Durant obv has the best chance as he is far and away the best player on the list

Yeah, i agree with this. LBJ alone is hard enough, but teamed up with superfriends ?? That's truly an everest like mountain top to climb for any other superstars. That's why i'm still so very puzzled by OKC decision to scuttle their big three so damn early in their reign. I think the trio of Durant, Harden, and Westbrook is the only legit big three challenger that can be realistically fielded in the next 2-3 years to really compete with Miami's three amigos. Those all have come to naught with Harden departure.

I don't get it either. Because when they have to max out Westbrook and Durant here soon, either they are going to lose one of them (Westbrook) or they are going to not be able to afford other guys like Ibaka and Perkins because you can bet they (especially Ibaka) will be demanding quite a bit of money. Their window is already small and losing Harden made things tougher.

StrengthAndHonor
02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Perkins is expiring soon. I think the Westbrook/Durant will break up soon unless they win a chip this year or the following.

JamStone
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
A lot of times, it's all about the team around that franchise player. For example, take either Chris Paul or Blake Griffin off of the Clippers roster, and how good are the chances for either leading the Clippers to a title compared to when each had the other on the team? Compare LeBron's title chances on the Cavaliers versus the Heat. While the superstar franchise player often gets the bulk of the accolades after a championship, it's rarely just about that franchise player. There are instances when it's mostly about them, such as in the case of Michael Jordan or Hakeem Olajuwon. But it's tough enough as it is to win without much help.

Of the players listed, I'd have to say Durant because he's already gotten his team close. And then after him, Chris Paul because I think he has the game and IQ and competitiveness to be that guy to will his team to a title run. But when he was the undisputed man on the Hornets, team success wasn't as easy as it is now for him with the Clippers. After Durant and CP3, I actually like Carmelo's chance with the Knicks. They're an unpredictable team. When they are playing well, they can roll through any team in the league. But they are also the type of team that can implode at a moment's notice, even to an average or below average team.

1. Durant
2. CP3
3. Melo

In that order.

stretch
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Perkins is expiring soon. I think the Westbrook/Durant will break up soon unless they win a chip this year or the following.

This.

stretch
02-11-2013, 12:58 PM
A lot of times, it's all about the team around that franchise player. For example, take either Chris Paul or Blake Griffin off of the Clippers roster, and how good are the chances for either leading the Clippers to a title compared to when each had the other on the team? Compare LeBron's title chances on the Cavaliers versus the Heat. While the superstar franchise player often gets the bulk of the accolades after a championship, it's rarely just about that franchise player. There are instances when it's mostly about them, such as in the case of Michael Jordan or Hakeem Olajuwon. But it's tough enough as it is to win without much help.

Of the players listed, I'd have to say Durant because he's already gotten his team close. And then after him, Chris Paul because I think he has the game and IQ and competitiveness to be that guy to will his team to a title run. But when he was the undisputed man on the Hornets, team success wasn't as easy as it is now for him with the Clippers. After Durant and CP3, I actually like Carmelo's chance with the Knicks. They're an unpredictable team. When they are playing well, they can roll through any team in the league. But they are also the type of team that can implode at a moment's notice, even to an average or below average team.

1. Durant
2. CP3
3. Melo

In that order.

:clap

Rummpd
02-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Tony Parker who has been playing at or a higher level than the title-less CP3, has as good or better chance than CP3 to get in his case another ring.

Pelicans78
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I would Durant is the only realistic option. He's the only guy who can consistently create his own shot over anyone. I don't see anyone else on this list winning a ring.

JamStone
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Tony Parker who has been playing at or a higher level than the title-less CP3, has as good or better chance than CP3 to get in his case another ring.

Perhaps you just wanted to talk about Tony Parker just to talk about Tony Parker. But he's not even listed in the OP. I was assuming that the OP was talking about players who hadn't won championships as the main guy yet. The only players on the list who even won a title before are Andrew Bynum and Rondo, and both were complimentary players on those title teams. Parker already has a Finals MVP, so there's already a case he can do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the OP was talking about players who hadn't led their teams to titles yet.

stretch
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM

you are such a fucking idiot

dunkman
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I see the Knicks winning something if Phil joins them. The Lakers should win a championship or two within 10 seasons that's for sure. Not sure is Howard is gonna be a Lakers after this season, though.

Latarian Milton
02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
durant, curry and rose will probably get their chances when lebron becomes old and starts to decline.