PDA

View Full Version : Pantech Discover

benefactor
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
So I'm moving from the not so smart smartphone(BB Torch) into the actual smartphone era. I talked to the guy at ATT and we looked at a couple of phones that I knew about. I told him I didn't have a huge list of needs as far as a smartphone goes and he said that if I wanted something good for cheap to go with the Pantech Discover. I've read a few reviews and most seem to be positive. Anyone own one/have owned one? 50 bucks sounds great but I don't want to get something I'm going to hate a week later.

Drachen
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
So I'm moving from the not so smart smartphone(BB Torch) into the actual smartphone era. I talked to the guy at ATT and we looked at a couple of phones that I knew about. I told him I didn't have a huge list of needs as far as a smartphone goes and he said that if I wanted something good for cheap to go with the Pantech Discover. I've read a few reviews and most seem to be positive. Anyone own one/have owned one? 50 bucks sounds great but I don't want to get something I'm going to hate a week later.

What did you think about the BB torch when you got it? That it satisfied your short list of needs?
Are you ever likely to root it? what are your short list of needs?

benefactor
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I've liked it for my basic needs and it has been a nice start as far as smartphones go. That said, the camera sucks and so does the video...and from what I've read Android offers much better apps. Screen is small for a smartphone too.

I don't really need much. Some decent speed for web browsing, social networks, a few games to kill time, sports/weather apps, good phone clarity, etc. Nothing really over the top. The Discover is not bulky and has a nice display. I'll miss the Qwerty board but I'll get over it.

Drachen
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
What did you think about the BB torch when you got it? That it satisfied your short list of needs?
Are you ever likely to root it? what are your short list of needs?

I will say this, I like the speakers.
My main concern with this phone is that it will likely not have much development support so once pantech and att quit supporting it you won't have much past that. Other than that, it seems relatively solid. (from my brief and admittedly superficial search)

Drachen
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I've liked it for my basic needs and it has been a nice start as far as smartphones go. That said, the camera sucks and so does the video...and from what I've read Android offers much better apps. Screen is small for a smartphone too.

I don't really need much. Some decent speed for web browsing, social networks, a few games to kill time, sports/weather apps, good phone clarity, etc. Nothing really over the top. The Discover is not bulky and has a nice display. I'll miss the Qwerty board but I'll get over it.

You will likely see a better camera from the pantech, probably not great, but better than you have now. You will get all the apps you could possibly want, so that isn't really a concern. I don't know about clarity, but the one review I read seems to say that it is good.

anakha
02-11-2013, 05:45 PM
What is your maximum budget for a phone and plan? How many minutes and texts do you use up in a month? Are there any specific needs you have with regard to smartphones, like LTE?

We could probably recommend you something better if you let us know your phone habits.

benefactor
02-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I will go pretty basic. I don't need a lot of data as I will use wifi most of the time(free at work and at home). I don't travel much. I just need something that's fast, reliable, user friendly and cheap. I'm due for an upgrade through ATT and I don't want to go north of 50 bucks as I think I can get my needs pretty well met for that.

anakha
02-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Ah, if you want to stick with your existing AT&T plan, then yeah, the Discover's a pretty good bang for the buck choice.

The reason I was asking is that several friends of mine discovered that they could end up saving more money over 24 months by switching to either T-Mobile's $30/mo prepaid plan with 5GB data and 100 minutes, or Straight Talk's $45/mo (using AT&T towers) prepaid plan with unlimited minutes and around 2GB data, then getting the Nexus 4 for $350 straight up. They kept their old numbers by porting them into Google Voice.

Just tossing that out there as an option.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
same situation as you, i was going to make the jump to a smart phone, but im still on the nokia n97 symbian system, does enough for my needs which is basic shit and listen to music, dont need all those extra bullshit like apps and stuff u see on smart phones

Nathan Explosion
02-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Too bad you're not talking Sprint. My son just broke the screen on my S3 so I'm having it replaced for free. I have the Galaxy Victory as a loaner for now. 4" screen. LTE. Dual core. Not too bad for what you say you want.

If you live in SA, then I say HEB Plus. Get a HTC One X for $80.

benefactor
02-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Picked the phone up yesterday. Still digging into it but Spurstalk is fast as hell...so that's a nice start.

benefactor
02-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Quick question...how do you save images on Chrome for Android?

leemajors
02-15-2013, 07:29 AM
a long press on the image should bring up a save dialogue.

benefactor
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
:tu

Thank you sir.

benefactor
08-05-2013, 05:45 PM
So I just got an air update to 4.1.2...and now my Bluetooth is cutting in and out in my car. It stays connected it just cuts in and out like it's a bad connection. Is anyone else using this version and having the same problem?

Heath Ledger
08-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Pantech lol and you are wondering why you are having issues?

benefactor
08-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Been working great since I bought it in February. It only had problems when the 4.1.2 update happened. I've read on Google that other brands of phones have had similar Bluetooth issues with Android updates. Just wanted to know if anyone here had the same problems with it. Thanks for the lack of help.

ElNono
08-06-2013, 08:09 PM
was gonna say Google admitted to some bluetooth problems they finally fixed by 4.2.2... that's what I found looking online, but not an Android dude here..

Drachen
08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
I did not have these problems, sorry I can't help. Root?

benefactor
08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Nope. I've looked into it but I'm still skittish about doing it. I read too that 4.2.2 fixed it, but I don't know when they will send that over...since they just sent 4.1.2. I was just wondering if there were any other fixes out there I could do in the mean time...as I am an admitted Android rookie.

I rebooted today and paired the connections again and it worked this evening. We'll see if it holds up.