PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Devin Brown

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 10:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/brown_140_050621.jpghttp://www.nba.com/spurs/images/spurs_logo.gif

Devin Brown | 23
Position: G
Born: Dec 30, 1978
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College : Texas-San Antonio '02

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/devin_brown/index.html?nav=page)

The Spurs must keep Devin Brown. Prior to his late season injury he was on track for heavy playoff minutes as well as gaining some serious notoriety around the league for his play, as well as a rather lucrative free agency stint this summer. If you had to design an ideal backup swingman for the Spurs, Brown would come out of that mold. He's athletic, strong, is willing to defend, has a solid jumper, is willing to attack the basket, etc... Also, he wants to play for his hometown Spurs.

scott
07-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Outside of the Spurs, who are teams likely to pursue Mr. Brown? The Cavs seem like an obvious one...

Brown's a guy we want to have back for both on the court and off the court reasons, but I fear he may get bid up.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Pop's enamored with him so it'd take a pretty good offer for the Spurs to let him go. I think his back injury, his desire to remain in SA as well as his Early Bird and restricted free agent status should be enough to scare away any other potential suitors...

scott
07-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I think that is what makes the Cavs the real threat though, with Mike Brown and now Danny Ferry calling shots. They could potentially be just as enamoured with him. With the Cav's cap situation, they may be willing to sweeten the pot just enough to pry him away.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 11:17 AM
The only teams I've heard with interest in Devin are the Hawks and the Hornets.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
They'd have to throw the MLE at him for 3 seasons or so, unless they decided to offer a higher salary for a couple seasons in an attempt to lure him away from SA. That seems unlikely, but you never know, I guess.

King
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I agree, I think/hope the back injury was a blessing in disguise as far as contract negotiations go. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a team throw lucrative money at him before the injury. Hopefully his price has been driven down. He could easily be a 15ppg guy in the near future. Possibly a SF replacement for Bruce. He's got the athleticism to be a great defender, especially in Pop's system.

I hope he's priority 1 or 1a, with Horry.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the Spurs will offer him a 2 year deal with team option on the second year, starting at about 1.5-2M. And I think he'll take it.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:19 AM
The Spurs got away without a true prototypical backup small forward for most of the season in part because of Devin.

King
07-03-2005, 11:21 AM
It seems like a lot of their backups, save for Beno, don't really have a true position.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Also, I think the Cavs know that they have a nice opportunity to surround King James with some serious help this season and that they aren't going to have many opportunities like this in future offseasons. Maybe they would project Devin as an eventual starter. But there is much more attractive talent in free agency for them, IMO. Brown would be like a Plan D or F for them...

JUUOT
07-03-2005, 11:42 AM
the competition for swing spot would be betwwen barry and brown leaving only few minutes for a prototype SF to learn.
Maybee a possible scena rio considering devin woul be re-signed for 2 years... Devin would be the solution with barry for the next two years. Than in 2 years bowen and barry would play veteran minutes. It would push brown as SG behing manu and make room for a prototype SF like sanikidze

in two years the line-up would be
manu - devin
bowen - sanikidze
barry (steve kerr role)

the off season could change this with a big trade or devin not re signed.
sanikidze is agressive on rebound and defense. he is showing good sign in a poor team. his only bad luck was the player at his position was the only good one so his minutes were limited but this guy left so he should play more next season and join the spurs in one or 2 years

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2005, 12:32 PM
barry at backup pg, brown at backup sg, keep udrih under the radar or get rid of him

i like brown much better than udrih

ObiwanGinobili
07-03-2005, 12:44 PM
The only teams I've heard with interest in Devin are the Hawks and the Hornets

ewwwww.

I think the Spurs will offer him a 2 year deal with team option on the second year, starting at about 1.5-2M. And I think he'll take it.
:tu
that's believable. And it's what I hope happens.

sickdsm
07-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I think he's worth more than that. If he signs for that it has more to do with people knowing san antonio will match so they don't waste there time.

timvp
07-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Devin seems like the next player that needs to fall in place for the Spurs.

Questions:

1) How vital is he to the future of the team?
2) How high do you go to keep him in SA? Full MLE? Half MLE? Only the minimum?

Streakyshooter08
07-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Devin seems like the next player that needs to fall in place for the Spurs.

Questions:

1) How vital is he to the future of the team?
2) How high do you go to keep him in SA? Full MLE? Half MLE? Only the minimum?

I think that depends on his health. If he can get back to 100% the Spurs will pay him more. But do they really need the MLE? I thought they have the EBR. I would use the MLE for Scola/ Rahim or Marhsall instead.

timvp
07-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeah I didn't mean using the MLE. I meant since the Spurs can go as high as the MLE using their EB rights, would you go that high to keep him a Spur.

TheTruth
07-06-2005, 02:49 AM
1) I don't know that he is extremely vital to the future of the team. Players of his size and skill set are not very hard to find. BUT I love the energey he gives us off the bench, and the fact that he can play two positions. I don't think he is the long term answer at SF. He is too short to handle the new generation of long 3's.

2) I wouldn't give him more than 1.7 mil a year.

Tek_XX
07-06-2005, 02:49 AM
Devin will take whatever SA gives him and like it. I doubt there's any other team that is seriously going after him.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 02:50 AM
I think the Spurs will offer him a 2 year deal with team option on the second year, starting at about 1.5-2M. And I think he'll take it.I think it may be a player option, as Devin does have a bit to prove with his back and might stand to get more if he has a good year.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2005, 02:52 AM
OTOH, if Devin wants a "long and low" contract that would be hard to deny him.

Horry For 3!
07-06-2005, 03:19 AM
I believe that Devin will be around next year. Atleast I hope he is still with the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 07:38 AM
It's not hard to find young athletic 2s but it is hard to find one who has his commitment to team, his offensive skill set, his willingness to play D, his willingness to attack the basket, play hard, etc...he's the perfect Spur role player.

Plus, he seems to want to stay in SA. To me, you give him a new contract for 2 to 3 years starting at $2.75 mil to 3 mil. He's as worthy of the same type of contract that the Spurs have given other strong role players like Rose and Bowen in the past after their initial minimum deals expired.

fraga
07-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I could have sworn I heard Channel 12 saying that Chicago was a team that was very interested in Devin...

IX_Equilibrium
07-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Hopefully he can stop slipping/tripping and stay upright.

SpursFanInAustin
07-06-2005, 09:56 AM
If we somehow re-sign Devin, I hope he can become our #1 backup swingman to spell Manu and Bruce over Brent Barry. While Barry hit some big shots in the Suns series, and played well in Game 7 of the Finals, I would like for Devin to get minutes because he's younger and is a better defender than Barry. Also, with the possibility of Scola coming over, I would like to see our two main bench players, Horry and Barry, have somewhat of reduced roles next year, to stay fresh and be ready for the postseason when the young'ns go through struggles. Kinda like Kerr, Ferry, Willis, and Steve Smith did in 2003.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 09:57 AM
If Devin hadn't been injured he would've been the primary swing backup.

GopherSA
07-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Devin Brown is full of potential. I'd hate to see him go. Seeing a hometown guy play for his hometown team evokes memories of Kent Hrbek. The "Herbie" became a major Minnesota hero and a major contributor to two world champion teams.

Brown has the potential to have a long, storied and -- sadly -- unusual in this day -- career with one club. I'd love to see him be able to stay.

wildbill2u
07-06-2005, 10:37 AM
We all like Devin because of his story (hometown boy makes good on hometown team) and his energy/work ethic.

But let's not get too carried away by emotion. Swingmen with Devin's size and skills are not rare--and most of them don't get hired because they don't quite fill the niche at either position. He'll be nice to have at a very modest increase in salary.

SpursFanInAustin
07-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Devin Brown is full of potential. I'd hate to see him go. Seeing a hometown guy play for his hometown team evokes memories of Kent Hrbek. The "Herbie" became a major Minnesota hero and a major contributor to two world champion teams.

Brown has the potential to have a long, storied and -- sadly -- unusual in this day -- career with one club. I'd love to see him be able to stay.

Hrbek became a Minnesota hero thanks to his "tag" of Ron Gant in game 2 of the 1991 world series.

Chris
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Devin Brown won't leave San Antonio for any kind of bid. He's happy with his ring and will be here for a long time. He was born in San Antonio, went to high school in San Antonio, college in S.A...Unless we want to get rid of him I don't see him making any moves for money.

csw225
07-07-2005, 03:09 AM
dev isnt going anywhere

1. no team is going 2 go after him more seriously than the spurs

2. i'm a ball boy for the spurs and after being around in 04-05, i discovered that robert horry likes devin brown more than his own kids

ace3g
07-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I think the spurs should go after Jon Barry for added depth to the PG position. I am sure he wouldnt mind coming to a team having the chance win a ring and play with his bro, just imagine having both Barry's on the court at the same time

team-work
07-07-2005, 06:17 AM
If Devin returns to Spurs next season, another old debate probably continues : Brown vs Brent Barry, who should have more minutes? I prefers Brown as always, the reasons of which have been cited by many other fans in this thread, eg. youth, atheleticism, energy guy, story as hometown boy making hometown team. His major shortcoming must be his lack of length (6 feet 5 to be a SF), and he will probably never be a starting 3, as a replacement for Bowen, or the starting SG as long as Ginobili is healthy. But he definitely deserves to be the first swingman off the bench.

The reasons which he is not doing so are :
1. his injury
2. he is paid less than Brent Barry, and it would seem like a fool for the coaches and the management to let him have many minutes than Barry (please forgive me if I am wrong).

BigVee
07-07-2005, 09:03 AM
What is the prognosis on his back? To me, the whole thing hinges on that. Anyone really know?

Chris
07-09-2005, 10:11 PM
If Devin returns to Spurs next season, another old debate probably continues : Brown vs Brent Barry, who should have more minutes? I prefers Brown as always, the reasons of which have been cited by many other fans in this thread, eg. youth, atheleticism, energy guy, story as hometown boy making hometown team. His major shortcoming must be his lack of length (6 feet 5 to be a SF), and he will probably never be a starting 3, as a replacement for Bowen, or the starting SG as long as Ginobili is healthy. But he definitely deserves to be the first swingman off the bench.

The reasons which he is not doing so are :
1. his injury
2. he is paid less than Brent Barry, and it would seem like a fool for the coaches and the management to let him have many minutes than Barry (please forgive me if I am wrong).

DB is capable of playing multiple positions including SG,SF,and PG. More often than not he will come in for Bowen. I don't think DB's minutes will be limited by Brent Barry who is definitely a better option as backup SG.

nacho estrada
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Sleepin on bringing back DBROWN 23, are we????

marcus
08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Devin Brown - Restricted
Interested teams - San Antonio and Utah

Utah is over the cap so i guess they would offer him a part of the MLE.
I believe that if they do offer Brown a contract it will cost more than what San Antonio would prefer.

I believe Utah doesn't care too much about salary cap. I am thinking of Okur contract. :lol

marcus
08-15-2005, 05:46 PM
A player i really like from Utah is Gordan Giricek who was originally picked by San Antonio.

I had a trade possibility in mind.

Involving Nesterovic, Brown and a 2nd round pick for
Giricek and:
1. a re-signed McLeod for one year deal with money enough to match contracts.
2. Ostertag who is expiring
3. Someone like Jarron Collins and trade exception to match contracts.
4. Harpring, that i think would never happen.

Mark in Austin
08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
You think Jerry hardass Sloan has any desire to bring Rasho onto his squad? No way. And Brown > Giricek by himself. Giricek can't spell defense, much less play it.

I agree with Marcus Bryant's first post. Devin is an ideal fit for a backup here, with the possibility of playing significant minutes as Bowen gets longer in the tooth. He's strong, athletic, committed to San Antonio and defense, and already has more of an offensive game than Bowen does. If he continues to improve his 3 point shooting consistency, he should see significant floor time during the season to keep Manu and Bowen fresh. Maybe Chip has some time to do some intensive work with Devin while Tony is in France. In fact, I'd love to see another player development coach fill the role Mario Ellie did in 03-04. From all accounts I have seen/heard, he had a real positive impact on Devin and helped him develop as a professional on and off the court. At any rate,

Ginobili
Bowen
Barry
Brown

is a damn good swing rotation. The only thing missing is a little height to help with some of the longer threes. Bowen seems to be able to handle them effectively (see Marion, Shawn and Anthony, Carmello; 04-05 playoffs), but he's the tallest of the bunch. In a perfect world, I'd like to see his eventual replacement have some length. Especially with the undersized frontcourt the Spurs will likely be sporting over the next few seasons. If Rasho is indeed outta here, after Duncan at 6'11", Nazr, Oberto and Horry are at 6'9"-6'10". If Nazr isn't re-signed after next year and Scola is brought in, then they get even smaller. I don't think you can realistically pencil in help from any of the other overseas bigman prospects yet (Mahinmi, Karalov, Sanidkze, etc.) since nobody aside from Scola has developed to the point that they are ready to come over. So height concerns me a little if we were to look at Devin as a long term Bowen replacement.

But as a key cog in the rotation, and as the long term primary swing backup once Barry retires/is traded, I think he's ideal. I hope things work out for Devin.