PDA

View Full Version : How should the Spurs utilize Kawhi Leonard's ability?..

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
He's progressively gaining confidence in his overall game..

He has a subtle smoothness to his game, a versatile scoring repertoire consisting of pull-up jump shots, mid-post drives, post ups in the box, a nice finishing game with the double pump, the spot-up 3..

The Spurs will not be able to guard Kevin Durant, the only person in the world that has concocted a plan to limit Durant's impact is Russell Westbrook, his teammate..other than relying on Westbrook, the Spurs optimal strategy should be to utilize a feature that is exclusively available to them, and not the other contenders in the NBA: the 4th legit scoring option..

The Spurs don't have a Lebron or Durant-level player, but they have a 4th scoring option that plays the same position, forcing them to exert a different type of energy on the defensive end, against an option that isn't one of the big 3..

Relegating Kawhi to a spot-up shooting role would be a waste of a key feature that the Spurs haven't had in a long time, the feature they envisioned when trading for Dick Jefferson..

hooperflash
02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
:tu

Brazil
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I think pop is managing Leonard the right way for the moment IMHO. When everybody is healthy what we need is Defense. Now compared to last year when they focus on tp and Tim and/or Manu had a so so night it's nice for the spurs to have Kawi weapon so as a whole give him a bit more touches on O but keep it simple and ask to think first on D.

Brunodf
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I have been saying for months that Kawhi CAN play the Ginobili role.

Bill_Brasky
02-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Right now Leonard is the Spurs 3rd best player....

tim_duncan_fan
02-11-2013, 10:22 PM
He can fucking iso! I'm stoked!

All we need to do is keep building him up. Once he knows he can go one-on-one sometimes, we won't have to ask him to go get his own shot. He'll just do it.

Paranoid Pop
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Better question : when will he pass Manu and officially become the third banana :huh?

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
like i said...3 tosb needs to retire now...the sooner pop hands over the keys to KL, the better we are prepared for the future start building around KL

Mugen
He needs to be playing 36-40 mins per game tbh. I understand Jack's a proven playoff performer but he can get extra mins at the 4.

Kawhi is 20yo and is proving to be our 4th best scorer/player. There's no reason he shouldn't be playing KD/LeBron minutes.

As far as utilizing him better, I'd like to see them run that quick flash to the post they sometimes run w/ Jack. Kawhi's got good enough footwork and is a fast enough leaper to get some easy hoops around the basket.

dbreiden83080
We love Manu but his health is an ongoing concern and we know he is not the force he used to be.. If the Spurs have a chance to win the title this year Leonard has to be a huge factor on offense..

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I agree in theory, but at this point in his career, Leonard is capable of playing on both ends at a high level, his stamina is at peak level..

Tonight, for example, he scored at a high level, but also completely annihilated Luol Deng(granted, Deng hasn't been great as of late) on the defensive end..

Manu is still a viable option, he can still dominate in stretches, but he's unable to play at a high level on a consistent basis IMO..the Spurs of the past lived and died by Manu's ability, they did not have an alternative..this year, they have a versatile athlete that can create his own shot..

Pop is the best coach in the NBA, but he can't stubbornly depend on the old formula without an alternative IMO..Kawhi is not Bruce Bowen, he should be a key component of this offense, not just a role player..

tim_duncan_fan
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
like i said...3 tosb needs to retire now...the sooner pop hands over the keys to KL, the better we are prepared for the future start building around KL

He's not quite good enough for us to crown him just yet.

freetiago
02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Jack should take the rest of the season off for "personal reasons" and let Leonard play 36 minutes a night
Leonard plays more with the bench and gets some iso/post up and run pick and roll with the bench
he looked like the summer league Kawhi tonight when he had the chance
also beasted last season vs portland when the big 3 were out
Leonard is a mid range scorer not a spot up 3 shooter
its good that he can knock it down and space the floor for Tony/Tim but Pop needs to take advantage of Leonards full abilities

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
the only chance of utilizing KL offensive game...havin gary neal go back to his spot up role, and having a real passing pg distributing, thats the only chance of KL gettin more touches

dbreiden83080
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Pop is the best coach in the NBA, but he can't stubbornly depend on the old formula without an alternative IMO..Kawhi is not Bruce Bowen, he should be a key component of this offense, not just a role player..

Agreed and nights like tonight should be enough to make Pop change his approach.. Spurs need Manu for the playoffs but they also need this kid confident he can take on a larger role and really chip in offensively..

Arc
02-11-2013, 10:31 PM
leonard wow'd the shit out of me tonight. he was damn impressive.

Tuddy
There's no ceiling for him, seriously

capek
Better question : when will he pass Manu and officially become the third banana :huh?

If that happens this year it would be in the playoffs and that would equal a Championship. Legitimately, if Kawhi puts to together to that degree this year, I believe we win the 'ship.

I (think I) get how Pop has decided to manage Kawhi this season. Quell the potential big expectations Kawhi might have put on himself for his second year by reigning him in and forcing him to play a role. Kawhi seems to have passed that "test" well, as evidenced by a game like this. So I think it is time to start letting Kawhi loose and take a large role in the offense. At least I hope that will start from this game out and continue when Duncan and Manu get back. Kawhi is ready to bust out imo! :tu

dbestpro
02-11-2013, 10:32 PM
He needs to learn to put a little junk in his game.

Floyd Pacquiao
02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Cut jacks min back a bit, let him run some pick and rolls where he can pull up for the jumper or drive to the basket. Also wont hurt to let him iso every once and a while with that silky smooth pull up.

Richie
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Durant is too long for Leonard to score on him regularly. Durants defensive weakness is lack of strength, so I'll take Jackson backing him down in the post over Kawhi taking him off the dribble.

Regardless, when it comes to OKC, it's all about Manu. Ginobili needs to torch Kevin Martin every minute they are going up against each other on the floor, and force Brooks to put Sefelosha on him, leaving Tony to kill Westbrook ala Games 1 and 2.

timvp
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
The place to start is to call more post-ups for Kawhi. Pop can easily do that within the offense ... and he has a little bit. But it needs to be a lot more. Even two or three post-ups a game is a great way to get Kawhi involved and it forces the opposition to think twice before going small.

But, damn, tonight Kawhi was an absolute beast on the defensive end. He's been overrated to date in his career defensively but tonight he was GREAT. I mean, if he played like this on a consistent basis, he'd legitimately but a top three perimeter defender in the NBA.

crc21209
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I think Kawhi showed tonight that he can be a key option on the offensive end. When one or two of the Big 3 may be having an off night, the Spurs should run more plays for Kawhi. He showed alot of the tools he has, from mid-range to posting up on the block to shooting the 3 ball. :tu

Chinook
02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Cut jacks min back a bit, let him run some pick and rolls where he can pull up for the jumper or drive to the basket. Also wont hurt to let him iso every once and a while with that silky smooth pull up.

This, and let him set some of the screens and have some Durant/Westbrook type of action with Leonard and Parker. Leonard on the pick-and-roll/pop would be an interesting wrinkle.

TD 21
02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Harlem, I don't disagree, but it's difficult to have three perimeter players who play with the ball in their hands. The only example I can think of was the Thunder last season, but they didn't have a big who required touches on top of that. Having a legit fourth option sounds great in theory, but in reality it's more difficult to properly incorporate.

As far as playing him more minutes, I've been beating that drum as long as anyone. Players like him (Marion, Wallace, Iguodala, etc.) traditionally play 38-40 mpg when they're young, despite most carrying a heavier load offensively. On this team, they don't need him to play nearly that much, but there's no reason he shouldn't at least be challenging Parker for the team lead. Pop has finally taken the reigns off of Splitter minutes wise and it's time he do so with him.

jesterbobman
02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
In general, they're using him fine. When it's a choice between Parker running an individual pick and roll or Leonard running it, it's an easy choice. He should be playing more minutes, and might play more later depending on trade deadline stuff.

I'd want to see a little more use, mainly in running a PnR with Splitter and a bench unit of shooters a few times a game, but in general, thinking that the system works and going with a Parker led offense is a good plan.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
real quick question, what is KL vertical? it seems like he doesnt jump that high to dunk the ball, even when his going to poster some clown, he doesnt lift off that high due to his wing spand already hitting the ring....

Drachen
02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
leonard wow'd the shit out of me tonight. he was damn impressive.

Agreed I was just watching him go to work and I was like

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=23162&dateline=1301800585

EricB
02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
He admitted his knees are bothering him, and that's why you don't run him out there for 36 mins a night.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
luol deng was in fetus position tonight

Russ
02-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Relegating Kawhi to a spot-up shooting role would be a waste of a key feature that the Spurs haven't had in a long time, the feature they envisioned when trading for Dick Jefferson..

You just committed a cardinal sin. (I think it caused the Pope to resign.)

Ice009
02-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Harlem, I don't disagree, but it's difficult to have three perimeter players who play with the ball in their hands. The only example I can think of was the Thunder last season, but they didn't have a big who required touches on top of that. Having a legit fourth option sounds great in theory, but in reality it's more difficult to properly incorporate.

As far as playing him more minutes, I've been beating that drum as long as anyone. Players like him (Marion, Wallace, Iguodala, etc.) traditionally play 38-40 mpg when they're young, despite most carrying a heavier load offensively. On this team, they don't need him to play nearly that much, but there's no reason he shouldn't at least be challenging Parker for the team lead. Pop has finally taken the reigns off of Splitter minutes wise and it's time he do so with him.

I'm pretty sure one reason that Kawhi is not playing big minutes is because the tendinitis hasn't gone away. He said it a couple of weeks ago, and another poster said that Kawhi said it's still bothering him tonight. Two weeks ago he said it wasn't as bad as it was at the start of the season, but it is still bothering him. Not sure how it tonight though as I didn't hear the interview. Based on that, I don't think the Spurs should be playing him big minutes.

I hope he is OK. I didn't really want to hear him say that he is still bothered by it.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 11:07 PM
kl could be another legit option on offense that they can utilize when there is mismatches...but no we have to live watchin neal hoist up stupid shots and KL relegated to being a spot up shooter

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Fully agree that Parker/Duncan should be the primary options and most plays should run through them..

I meant it more in regards to the minutes where Duncan/Parker sit, which is when the Spurs generally rely on Ginobili to do the heavy lifting..Durant/Westbrook will be playing 42-44 MPG in the playoffs, Duncan/Ginobili will not be able to play more than 35 at an elite level IMO..

Preparing Kawhi to run some offense for a few minutes in the playoffs, alongside Manu, is going to be essential for the Spurs IMO..I prefer Leonard running some versatile offense, rather than Gary Neal chucking..

Spurs need a to prepare themselves for the potential of Parker being worn down by Sefolosha and Duncan losing the battle to Father Time during stretches..it would help having another viable option, instead of relying on the spot-up 3 on every other play..

Truckules
02-11-2013, 11:09 PM
He needs to touch the ball on every possession. My biggest problem with him is that sometimes he just disappears because he doesn't call for the ball. He showed tonight that if he gets the ball, he's dangerous. He might be the only player in the NBA who needs to become more egotistical.

Brunodf
02-11-2013, 11:16 PM
He needs to touch the ball on every possession. My biggest problem with him is that sometimes he just disappears because he doesn't call for the ball. He showed tonight that if he gets the ball, he's dangerous. He might be the only player in the NBA who needs to become more egotistical.

Splitter too, 16 points on just 7 shots.:wtf

DesertSpur50
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
On an unrelated note (sorta) George Hill goes for 22/6 ast/4 reb/1 stl in the loss to Brooklyn. Not bad.

Richie
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Fully agree that Parker/Duncan should be the primary options and most plays should run through them..

I meant it more in regards to the minutes where Duncan/Parker sit, which is when the Spurs generally rely on Ginobili to do the heavy lifting..Durant/Westbrook will be playing 42-44 MPG in the playoffs, Duncan/Ginobili will not be able to play more than 35 at an elite level IMO..

Preparing Kawhi to run some offense for a few minutes in the playoffs, alongside Manu, is going to be essential for the Spurs IMO..I prefer Leonard running some versatile offense, rather than Gary Neal chucking..

Spurs need a to prepare themselves for the potential of Parker being worn down by Sefolosha and Duncan losing the battle to Father Time during stretches..it would help having another viable option, instead of relying on the spot-up 3 on every other play..

If either of these happen, we can't beat the Thunder. Nothing we do with Kawhi can change that.

HarlemHeat37
02-11-2013, 11:20 PM
If either of these happen, we can't beat the Thunder. Nothing we do with Kawhi can change that.

I agree..IMO, having another option for occasional offense could help prevent wearing them down..

It's certainly not a lock, but it would be a change from last year's failure..

TheSkeptic
02-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Splitter too, 16 points on just 7 shots.:wtf

I think KL should take some of Jax's shots and Splitter should take some of Neal's shots. That way they can each get a decent number of shot attempts even when the Big 3 are back and playing.

I agree with you. It definitely can't hurt to develop guys like Leonard, but if Parker/TD/Manu run out of gas it's pretty much a done deal.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2013, 11:27 PM
I agree..IMO, having another option for occasional offense could help prevent wearing them down..

It's certainly not a lock, but it would be a change from last year's failure..

basically same team, nothing new...just a matter of bench showing up and hero being able to adjust to the defense adjustments on him, if he cant figure that shit out...he deserves to be hated

i dont think okc has improved much at all after the trade....kmart is not a guy who draws alot of fouls or makes a living doing layups...he can be contained

KaiRMD1
02-12-2013, 12:17 AM
If De Colo can really come into his own consistently, this team can become truly dangerous.

cjw
02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
On an unrelated note (sorta) George Hill goes for 22/6 ast/4 reb/1 stl in the loss to Brooklyn. Not bad.

Hill's developed into a nice player, but at his peak will never consistently be anything more than a mid-tier PG - in the same ballpark as the Mike Conley, Greivis Vasquez or Jarrett Jack types. Hill at $8 million per, Conley averaging $8.5 million per for the rest of his contract, Jack (as I've mentioned before) due for a raise from $5.4 million and some team like Toronto will give Vasquez a stupid contract when he comes off his rookie deal. Our PG is making 50% more than that and is a top 5 MVP candidate this year. Hill was a nice player and the fans liked him, but not worth the kind of money that was coming to him when we already had the starting gig filled at a bargain rate.

Back to the story at hand - we got a guy who was five years younger at a position of significant need on a rookie scale deal. Pop knew he needed a counter to Durant and he found the guy they are comparing the #2 pick in the last draft (MKG) to if he continues to improve. He made Deng (an all star, not that the East deserves any) look like a fool tonight. Not to mention the upside of a young guy stashed in Europe plus an older big's rights, though it looks like he's staying put there.

Don't let anybody fool you, we hosed the Pacers on this trade even if Kawhi were to stop improving after this season. Instead of losing Hill for nothing or overpaying him, the money they're saving will pay dividends in trying to hold onto Splitter after this season ... not to mention Golden State taking that guy named Dick off our hands.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Hill-Leonard trade was actually a trade that benefited both teams, a rarity in the NBA..

chapnis
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Hill-Leonard trade was actually a trade that benefited both teams, a rarity in the NBA..

this, pacers don't need Leonard

cjw
02-12-2013, 01:13 AM
this, pacers don't need Leonard

Both teams are better off from the deal, but my reasoning is that Hill's contract makes him a dime a dozen type guy. I'm by no means comparing this to a Gerald Wallace for a pick that turned into Damian Lillard deal.

Kawhi on a rookie deal is a steal. The Pacers were free to draft anyone they wanted at that point (Vucecic, Faried). I'd take either of them or Kawhi over Hill at $8 million anyday. Could have drafted any of those guys and dealt Granger to Toronto for someone like Calderon once George emerged like he did.

freetiago
02-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Pacers weakness is not having any elite playmakers/shot creators which is why theyre basically the worst offense in the nba
Hills best role in the nba is probably a sixth man
good scorer and defender but his vision isnt good enough to be a starting point guard on an elite team
he could possibly be a 2 now though and an elite combo guard at the 2
the nba is getting smaller all around and the top SG prospects are around 6'4 so Hill with his elite wingspan could defend them

a starting backcourt of Bledsoe/Hill could be pretty nice

MR-Clutch
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/11/leonard-takes-star-turn-as-spurs-blast-bulls/

“He’s a guy we’re trying to expand his game, but we don’t know what direction to go in,” Popovich said. “He’s a really talented kid. He really wants to be a great player. Tonight, you saw some of that.”

MR-Clutch
02-12-2013, 01:38 AM
They gotta find some direction pretty quick. They can't keep Leonard in the 3pt shooter/defense role, he's much too talented for that.

letmk
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM

If situation requires, I might even put Kawhi ahead of Manu in handling the ball (just behind Tony). Manu can be very creative, hence breaking down the defense; but sometimes he creates equally havoc to Spurs' offense.

racm
02-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Manu should be the X factor in the second unit as usual. Tony should still handle the ball the most while Timmy and KL get the secondary touches. Tiago's the efficient finisher while Green's the 3 point specialist.

Solid D
02-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Continue to push the notion of creating havoc defensively. Kawhi would be ranked 6th in the league in steals if he had enough games to qualify (injury set-back). Before the Chicago game Kawhi was averaging 1.88 steals/game and he ranks #1 in the NBA in steals/TO. He drastically changes games when he turns it up and hawks the ball. He made a big difference at one point in the Nets game. He's contageous.

rascal
02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Leonard should be the 3rd scoring option.

Phenomanul
02-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Would your vile disdain for No. 20 have anything to do with that statement? Leonard is great, but Ginóbili has faced every defense possible; Manu can facilitate the game, and provide better looks for others... Leonard's skillset does not include exceptional court vision...

spurraider21
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
to answer the thread title, like this tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXemx5E9t20&fmt=18

EricB
02-12-2013, 06:50 PM

God, get this guy a freaking straight jacket.

timvp
02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
to answer the thread title, like this tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXemx5E9t20&fmt=18

The most impressive aspects:

1. He was defended a lot by Luol Deng. Deng is one of the top three best defensive small forwards in the NBA.

2. Almost all his buckets were off the dribble. Players Leonard's size who can consistently score off the bounce are few and far between. Out of everything Leonard does, his ability to create and then pull-up and knock down the mid-range shot is what gives him a really high ceiling. He's been compared to Marion and GWallace but neither of them could ever do that.

3. He has improved leaps and bounds in terms of finishing at the basket. Earlier this season, he was committing a ton of offensive fouls when trying to score in the paint. He has slowed his game a little bit and that has allowed him to be much more precise and under control.

spurraider21
02-12-2013, 07:14 PM
The most impressive aspects:

1. He was defended a lot by Luol Deng. Deng is one of the top three best defensive small forwards in the NBA.

2. Almost all his buckets were off the dribble. Players Leonard's size who can consistently score off the bounce are few and far between. Out of everything Leonard does, his ability to create and then pull-up and knock down the mid-range shot is what gives him a really high ceiling. He's been compared to Marion and GWallace but neither of them could ever do that.

3. He has improved leaps and bounds in terms of finishing at the basket. Earlier this season, he was committing a ton of offensive fouls when trying to score in the paint. He has slowed his game a little bit and that has allowed him to be much more precise and under control.
To add to point 3 he could definitely take lessons from TP and Manu if he wants to further improve in that category. Manu has truly made the "euro-step" famous here, and now its being used all the time by other elite wing players. D-Wade has really mastered it and you even see Kobe, Harden, and sometimes even Durant using it to avoid charging fouls. I actually saw a bit of that from Kawhi during his brief summer league stint this year. Could you imagine how nasty Kawhi could be if he can incorporate TP's floater into his game? With Rondo esque arms/hands its very conceivable that he could improve the way Rondo has with his intermediate finishing.

That would actually further complement his apparently flourishing mid range game. Paired with his ability to spot up from range, it could truly be something special. If somebody tries to aggressively close-out on his 3 point attempt he can blow by and hit mid range or take it all the way to the rack.

I think the most impressive aspect was the fact that he got a lot of buckets off isolation or via the pick and roll. As teams stat to respect his ability to score off the dribble its up to him to develop as a passer to essentially be the Manu/Harden of the team... but paired with amazing defensive ability.

therealtruth
02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
One thing we need to do to beat the Thunder is be able to attack Durant on defense.

skulls138
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I love how Kawhi is being aggresive. Right now it still looks like he's finding what will work and what wont. Hope he continues to improve.

rascal
02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Would your vile disdain for No. 20 have anything to do with that statement? Leonard is great, but Ginóbili has faced every defense possible; Manu can facilitate the game, and provide better looks for others... Leonard's skillset does not include exceptional court vision...

Leonard is a rising star, Manu is a fading one. You get Leonard playing like the rising star that he is more consistently you will have a better team going into the playoffs as this guys confidence grows. Give him more looks as the 3rd option and watch his game take off. Manu needs to be phased back some.

ace3g
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think Pop might try some point forward with both Diaw and Kawhi especially if we run into another Parker vs Sefolosha situation during the playoffs; use TP as the SG in the offense. See how teams adjust to it, both of them can bring the ball up the court and then initiate the offense or back down their defender especially if there is a mismatch.

racm
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think Pop might try some point forward with both Diaw and Kawhi especially if we run into another Parker vs Sefolosha situation during the playoffs; use TP as the SG in the offense. See how teams adjust to it, both of them can bring the ball up the court and then initiate the offense or back down their defender especially if there is a mismatch.

Especially if KL ends up being defended by Kevin Martin. TP has no 3 point range but this year I see him running more off-ball especially when TD's on the court.

HI-FI
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM
i love watching those kawhi highlights from last night. there's so much potential for how we can utilize him in the playoffs, especially if TP has a bad night or series. couple this with OKC losing Harden, things might get really interesting.

however, the only caution I feel is his tendonitis from earlier. if Kawhi says it still hurts, how much of this can fixed or maintained towards playoffs? Do we have to worry about it sidelining him? I was so excited about last night's game but hearing Sean bring up his knee tempered my mood.

jesterbobman
02-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Another point to note with Leonard, he's been dramatically better in mid range shooting so far this season.

He's avoiding mid range shots(Which is good, they're referred to as shit shots for a reason), and it's only a few attempts(So could be fluke) but his % from 16-23 feet is dramatically better this season. From hoopdata, http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kawhi+Leonard

Shot Locations
At Rim
3-9 Feet
10-15 Feet
16-23 Feet
Threes

Player Name
Yr
Tm
Pos
GP
Min
M
A
FG%
%As
M
A
FG%
%As
M
A
FG%
%As
M
A
FG%
%As
M
A
eFG%
%As

Kawhi Leonard
SAS
SF

Kawhi Leonard
SAS
SF

Promising that he's developing in ways that we don't see often, that only really have value if the offense breaks down.

Southwest Texas Fan
02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
To add to point 3 he could definitely take lessons from TP and Manu if he wants to further improve in that category. Manu has truly made the "euro-step" famous here, and now its being used all the time by other elite wing players. D-Wade has really mastered it and you even see Kobe, Harden, and sometimes even Durant using it to avoid charging fouls. I actually saw a bit of that from Kawhi during his brief summer league stint this year. Could you imagine how nasty Kawhi could be if he can incorporate TP's floater into his game? With Rondo esque arms/hands its very conceivable that he could improve the way Rondo has with his intermediate finishing.

That would actually further complement his apparently flourishing mid range game. Paired with his ability to spot up from range, it could truly be something special. If somebody tries to aggressively close-out on his 3 point attempt he can blow by and hit mid range or take it all the way to the rack.

I think the most impressive aspect was the fact that he got a lot of buckets off isolation or via the pick and roll. As teams stat to respect his ability to score off the dribble its up to him to develop as a passer to essentially be the Manu/Harden of the team... but paired with amazing defensive ability.

That and the guy can rebound!

Southwest Texas Fan
02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
i love watching those kawhi highlights from last night. there's so much potential for how we can utilize him in the playoffs, especially if TP has a bad night or series. couple this with OKC losing Harden, things might get really interesting.

however, the only caution I feel is his tendonitis from earlier. if Kawhi says it still hurts, how much of this can fixed or maintained towards playoffs? Do we have to worry about it sidelining him? I was so excited about last night's game but hearing Sean bring up his knee tempered my mood.

Kawhi did mention that the rigors of the NBA makes it impossible for something not to hurt. I'm sure Pop is on it and may even give him a couple of games off before the end of the season. At this point it seems that limiting his minutes is working best.

ace3g
02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
I believe someone wrote in an article that the coaches are working with him on a floater as well.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
An informative article by McDonald which traces KL's offensive development back to the summer league and daily sessions with the coaching staff:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/12/notebook-leonards-summer-sweat-pays/

bklynspursfan
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
There was a stat that showed since Kawhi came back the Spurs have been the best defensive team. Anyone by any chance have those #'s or know where I'd be able to find them?

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
It would have been nice to run some plays for him down th stretch when Parker/Manu/Duncan all looked shitty and tired, tbh..

TrainOfThought5
02-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Leonard is a rising star, Manu is a fading one. You get Leonard playing like the rising star that he is more consistently you will have a better team going into the playoffs as this guys confidence grows. Give him more looks as the 3rd option and watch his game take off. Manu needs to be phased back some.

youre ahead of your time.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2013, 12:05 AM
The Spurs' playoffs hopes may hinge on the acceptance that Leonard has possibly surpassed Gino on the priority list, tbh..

Darius McCrary
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Well Manu did look depressingly horrible out there after his 20th minute.

Ice009
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
I think Kawhi needs to move up the depth chart as an offensive option.

Budkin
02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
It was a good thing Kawhi didn't get a touch in OT or we might have won that game. Whew.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
His confidence is clearly rising, too..unlike other potential options in the past, he doesn't seem afraid of the moment and he is constantly looking to attack..

This isn't a "big 3" team anymore, tbh..

siraulo23
02-28-2013, 12:17 AM
They were looking for him early in the game then dunno what happened I guess pop doesn't trust him in late game situations

MR-Clutch
02-28-2013, 12:28 AM
They were looking for him early in the game then dunno what happened I guess pop doesn't trust him in late game situations

It would have been nice to run some plays for him down th stretch when Parker/Manu/Duncan all looked shitty and tired, tbh..

QFT.

I would've also liked to see a play get drawn up for Leonard rather than a cold, off the bench, Danny Green. Obviously maybe not the same play, but like a corner 3 or something, considering he would've been the only one to score in OT if not for the foul on parker right before that dish.

HarlemHeat37
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Durant is too long for Leonard to score on him regularly. Durants defensive weakness is lack of strength, so I'll take Jackson backing him down in the post over Kawhi taking him off the dribble.

Regardless, when it comes to OKC, it's all about Manu. Ginobili needs to torch Kevin Martin every minute they are going up against each other on the floor, and force Brooks to put Sefelosha on him, leaving Tony to kill Westbrook ala Games 1 and 2.

Kawhi had no problems scoring vs. Durant tonight, tbh..

Brazil
03-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Trade Parker for a big and a second folder pg and play Kawi pg

spurraider21
03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Like this, tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLnwDEZFdc

ace3g
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/482002_10151280698056981_470869323_n.jpg

03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
great thing about leonard is that he already has a pretty decent all around game. he can attack the rim, shoot mid range jumpers, make 3's, and post up. once he works on his ballhandling, he can definitely create shots for himself.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Still not sure how they will fully utilize his abilities at the moment, tbh..

ElNono
03-23-2013, 01:31 AM
If you re-watch OT, they actually ISO'ed him against Mo Williams in a corner and cleared out... he drove and pulled back for a nice jumper... I thought it stood out because all of Manu, TP and TD were there. It might even have been out of a timeout, but I don't quite recall.

Spurs Brazil
03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
@danmccarneysaen
Twelve Spurs, including Nando De Colo, have a higher usage percentage than Kawhi Leonard.

hater
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I know pop probably doesn't want to tinker too much this late in the season, but sorry, we are not going anywhere with Manu as the 3rd banana

siraulo23
03-25-2013, 04:20 PM
lols

im guessing its a bit higher if its based on just the last 3-4 weeks

phxspurfan
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Play to him like they play to Manu right now. Iso at the top of the arc and send a bunch of screens his way. That way he can use that underrated court vision to find shooters, or draw contact and get to the line, or just beat guys off the dribble and dunk on em.

hater
03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Play to him like they play to Manu right now. Iso at the top of the arc and send a bunch of screens his way. That way he can use that underrated court vision to find shooters, or draw contact and get to the line, or just beat guys off the dribble and dunk on em.

that might work in NBA 2k13 but this is real life. Tbh, Kawhi hasn't exhibited much of those things you describe...

Pop
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Having him play the PnR with TP or post up his man sounds good enough.

MR-Clutch
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
It shouldn't be hard to incorporate some post ups or pin down jumpers at the free throw line.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Leonard is starting to get overrated for where he is right now in his development. He shows flashes on offense, and defense for that matter, but still disappears too much. His offense is still open jumpers, random scraps around the basket, and a few lateral dribble moves for a pullup jumper. Nothing wrong with that. As much as I would like for him to pick up the slack for Manu's regression, it doesn't mean it's likely.

To utilize him better, in my opinion, they should play to his strengths, which is to play him closer to the basket. Play him at 2 guard and let him overwhelm smaller players down low. He played some post in college from what I read, so I think he should be more at home in that setting.

Uriel
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
:wow

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
As Jester said in the game thread, Kawhi needs to run more pick&roll, especially on this team that thrives on pick&roll execution..

They are running more post ups for Leonard, which is a good start, although Kawhi needs to take care of the ball better in the post, tbh..

vander
04-06-2013, 10:09 PM
kawhi always looks poor when called upon to shoulder the load IMO, he's an opportunist, needs to be 2nd fiddle to thrive... if an NBA playoff level D were to focus on him as a main threat, he would be as worthless as

Tony Parker?

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
kawhi always looks poor when called upon to shoulder the load IMO, he's an opportunist, needs to be 2nd fiddle to thrive... if an NBA playoff level D were to focus on him as a main threat, he would be as worthless as

Tony Parker?

(If you weren't being sarcastic)Who said he should be a main threat?..

There are only 15-20 successful "main threats" in the NBA, tbh..

Brunodf
04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I have been saying for months that Kawhi CAN play the Ginobili role.
02-11-2013

vander
04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
(If you weren't being sarcastic)Who said he should be a main threat?..

There are only 15-20 successful "main threats" in the NBA, tbh..

yeah I don't know, maybe that was a backhanded compliment, but IMO we shouldn't be drawing up too many plays for him

apalisoc_9
04-14-2013, 11:02 PM
5 shots in 33 minutes.

6 straight points in the third to boost his total to 8. Groce. Neal 14 shots in 26 minutes...

Brunodf
04-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Pop and his love for hero/Bonner:bang We were so much better when Neal was injured

superjames1992
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
5 shots in 33 minutes.

6 straight points in the third to boost his total to 8. Groce. Neal 14 shots in 26 minutes...
He also shot 1/5 from the floor and was bothered by taller defenders.

stephen jackson
its on kawhi tbh he just wasnt aggressive today i dont think anyone would be mad if he jacked up 18 shots

TheGoldStandard
Pop is overrated, doesn't coach anyone up and sticks with a broken system. Green Light for Gary Neal = fuck you San Antonio

apalisoc_9
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
He also shot 1/5 from the floor and was bothered by taller defenders.

If you actually watched the game three of those five were bail out shots.

BatManu20
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
5 shots in 33 minutes.

Clark's length gave him fits all night. You could see it every time he touched the ball. He was passive the whole game. Clark's 6'10 with a 7-foot+ wingspan, and he shadowed him all night. That's tough for a 6'7 guy.

superjames1992
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
If you actually watched the game three of those five were bail out shots.
Yeah, I know, and Leonard didn't get many open looks. Clark had him under wraps all game long.

Some of you all need to realize that when a player doesn't get a lot of shots, it can be because they simply aren't open or they aren't being assertive enough. It's not always a conspiratorial plot by the rest of the team to not pass them the ball.

apalisoc_9
04-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I know, and Leonard didn't get many open looks. Clark had him under wraps all game long.

Some of you all need to realize that when a player doesn't get a lot of shots, it can be because they simply aren't open or they aren't being assertive enough. It's not always a conspiratorial plot by the rest of the team to not pass them the ball.

It's called making an effort of putting the ball to the right person. Kawhi has been aggressive enough, he just needs the green light from pop.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2013, 04:52 PM
:lol the doubters, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Have the Spurs finally realized how to utilize Kawhi, tbh?..

He has been straight filthy since his return from injury:wow..

Chinook
04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Have the Spurs finally realized how to utilize Kawhi, tbh?..

He has been straight filthy since his return from injury:wow..

For the most part, no. He's just gotten more comfortable doing what the team wants him to. The biggest change is that his three-ball is back.

ginobilized
04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I got a fever and the only prescription is more Kawhi

Betchya we see more sets run for him during the playoffs.

ducks
04-06-2014, 11:11 PM
like sean on another team he averages way more

Malik Hairston
06-13-2014, 12:54 AM
:lol the doubters..the many doubters..

spurraider21
06-13-2014, 12:55 AM
:lol the doubters..the many doubters..
its also no coincidence that he's blown up in the finals since they put Diaw in the lineup instead of Splitter

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2014, 01:00 AM
its also no coincidence that he's blown up in the finals since they put Diaw in the lineup instead of Splitter

He's got the space to operate.. Quick decisions and playing within himself. It's a testament to how good of a player he is to accept his role and blow up when he was asked to.

Malik Hairston
06-13-2014, 01:03 AM
That's part of the hilarity, though..

Half this forum kills Leonard when he has bad games and begs him to "attack the paint", expecting him to magically drive in the lane when he's playing with both Duncan and Splitter on the floor:lol..

This leads to moronic comments like "Leonard can't create his own offense" that was echoed by a large portion of this forum, all season long..

Chinook
06-13-2014, 01:08 AM
I will say, though, that Kawhi isn't playing the basketball you or I expected him to, Harlem. Instead, he's been able to develop the type of game Pop wants him to. If he can merge these new perimeter talents with his innate post skills, he'll be one of the most-complete scoring wings in the league.

Top-five SF offensively and top-three SF defensively in 2014. That'd be a hell of an accomplishment for a 23-year-old.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Lol @ the doubters. Eat shit

Malik Hairston
06-13-2014, 01:20 AM
I will say, though, that Kawhi isn't playing the basketball you or I expected him to, Harlem. Instead, he's been able to develop the type of game Pop wants him to. If he can merge these new perimeter talents with his innate post skills, he'll be one of the most-complete scoring wings in the league.

Top-five SF offensively and top-three SF defensively in 2014. That'd be a hell of an accomplishment for a 23-year-old.

I agree, but this was more of a response to the many posters here that thought he couldn't even create a shot for himself(and there was an abundance of them):lol..

I like that he's learning system basketball, but we'll see more touches and looks for him once they no longer have to force-feed Duncan/Parker/Ginobili, hopefully..