PDA

View Full Version : 2012 European player

romain.star
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
1. Andrei Kirilenko (RUS, CSKA Moscou/Minnesota)
2. Pau Gasol (ESP, LA Lakers)
3. Vassilis Spanoulis (GRE, Olympiakos)
4. Tony Parker (FRA, San Antonio)
5. Marc Gasol (ESP, Memphis)
6. Danilo Gallinari (ITA, Denver)
7. Goran Dragic (SLO, Houston/Phoenix)
8. Marcin Gortat (POL, Phoenix)
9. Nikola Pekovic (MON, Minnesota)
10. Ömer Asik (TUR, Chicago/Houston)

Dirk, Noah and Deng are missing tbh

phxspurfan
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
lol AK47 at #1. This poll should be 2002 not 2012

SpurSpurSpurs
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
AK47? Gasoft at #2? TP9 at #4 still behind Vassilis Spanoulis who's playing for a Euro team and not the #1 NBA team at the moment. Next joke please.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Spurs obviously missed the boat:

Spanoulis > Parker

SpurSpurSpurs
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Should trade Tony now while his value is still high then buy out Spanoulis and win a ring this year.

PATFO too dumb not to make this happen ASAP.

SpursRock20
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
1. Andrei Kirilenko (RUS, CSKA Moscou/Minnesota)
2. Pau Gasol (ESP, LA Lakers)
3. Vassilis Spanoulis (GRE, Olympiakos)
4. Tony Parker (FRA, San Antonio)
5. Marc Gasol (ESP, Memphis)
6. Danilo Gallinari (ITA, Denver)
7. Goran Dragic (SLO, Houston/Phoenix)
8. Marcin Gortat (POL, Phoenix)
10. Ömer Asik (TUR, Chicago/Houston)

Dirk, Noah and Deng are missing tbh

Here is how the list should look (when healthy):
1. Tony Parker (FRA, San Antonio)
2. Dirk Nowitzki (GER, Dallas)
3. Pau Gasol (ESP, LA Lakers)
4. Marc Gasol (ESP, Memphis)
5. Joakim Noah (FRA, Chicago)
6. Ömer Asik (TUR, Chicago/Houston)
7. Andrei Kirilenko (RUS, CSKA Moscou/Minnesota)
8. Luol Deng (GBR, Chicago)
10. Marcin Gortat (POL, Phoenix)

Sorry Spanoulis, Gallinari, and Dragic.

Bruno
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
It's a FIBA award so it's biased towards accomplishments made in FIBA competitions.

Genjuro
02-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Well, this award weighs FIBA basketball a lot, which is logic considering who is giving it. I don't like him, but Spanoulis' Olympiakos put on a shocker by winning the Euroleague title this year, with the guy earning Final Four MVP honours. I guess Parker chances were severely hurt by his poor performance at the Olympics. Kirilenko was the Euroleague MVP and led Russia to an Olympic medal. Gasol led Spain to the Olympic final.

This is all very tricky of course, but I can see the reasoning, even if I don't share it. When you pick the NBA awards it's pretty easy to compare players because they play the same competition, with the same rules, and share the same opponents. But take into account that a guy who looks head-and-shoulders above everybody else on an NBA court (Tony Parker), might not be as effective on FIBA basketball as other guys (Gasol or Kirilenko). Parker has historically underperformed on FIBA basketball (probably except for his impressive outing in 2011), which makes sense considering his game style. And again, this is a FIBA award.

Previous winners:
- 2011: Dirk Nowitzki: NBA champion and Finals MVP
- 2010: Milos Teodosic: Euroleague MVP and finalist, and FIBA World Championships all-tournament team
- 2009: Pau Gasol: NBA champion, FIBA Eurobasket champion and MVP
- 2008: Pau Gasol: NBA champion, Olympic Games finalist
- 2007: Andrei Kirilenko: FIBA Eurobasket champion and MVP
- 2006: Theodoros Papaloukas: Euroleague champion and Final Four MVP, FIBA World Championships finalist and all-tournament team
- 2005: Dirk Nowitzki: FIBA Eurobasket finalist and MVP

I mean, unless you get some international accolades, it takes to lead your team to the NBA title to get this award. Just check how Nowitzki was snubbed in 2007 after winning the NBA MVP award.

romain.star
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
It's a FIBA award so it's biased towards accomplishments made in FIBA competitions.

Correct.

Regardless of the competitions played, my Euro Top 10 would be:
1/ Parker
2/ Nowiztki
3/ P. Gasol
4/ Noah
5/ M. Gasol
6/ Deng
7/ Batum
8/ Asik
9/ Kirilenko
10/ Navarro

Darkwaters
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Kill Bill Pana cameo in 5....4....3....2....

TrueSpursFan
02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Parker, in my opinion, is the most underrated player, whom I consider the best point guard in the world. Just see San Antonio Spurs: their stars Duncan and Ginobili are injured, but he continues leading his team to easy wins. And the silver medal France won in the previous Eurobasket was entirely thanks to him. So, comparing to other super-stars, Tony Parker gets much less coverage. Even when he won the NBA Finals MVP award, FIBA Europe decided to ignore him for some reason. - Kirilenko

http://www.talkbasket.net/7568-kirilenko-i-d-give-the-award-to-spanoulis-parker-and-gasol.html