PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are interested in Josh Smith

Pages : [1] 2

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
"The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-power-rankings--spurs-still-the-best-162422963.html

PBEEZY
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.

Spur|n|Austin
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't read into it to much, just Smiths agent trying to raise interest for his client.

Is that what his agent told you?

PBEEZY
02-12-2013, 01:15 PM
No but it's common practise. How would the Spurs even be able to trade for him?

*Waits for bonner, blair & 1 st rounder * :rolleyes

celldweller
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Smith for Blair, Jackson & Mills. Why would Atlanta do it? they wouldn't. Move along everyone.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=auzjqtn

Texas_Ranger
02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Smith will want a max contract, he's a no go. He will probably end up in Brooklyn or Phoenix.

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Smith will want a max contract, he's a no go. He will probably end up in Brooklyn or Phoenix.

Your exactly right. Spurs don't have enough money to pay a player like Smith who demands big money. He would have to leave a substantial amount on the table, and you know that is not going to happen. It is however very interesting that the Spurs obviously know this and still show interest.

celldweller
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Maybe there interested for just a one-year rental.

Spur|n|Austin
02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Maybe there interested for just a one-year rental.

All or nothing for a championship type move?

celldweller
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
All or nothing for a championship type move?

In a way it makes sense.

senorglory
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe they get I know him now, for later.

raybies
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
This is how the fantasy slowly starts...

But... they are rumored to want a young center...
If Brooklyn s offer is Kris humphries marshin Brooks and first rounder than a spurs offer of splutter and Jackson would be in the lead. Flexible for the off season and yet a leg up on the comp for splutter.

If Smith wasn't asking for Max or had a year on his deal I would say good move but is he worth the risk short term and long term?

Also on paper we would be serious contender. Probably best frontcourt in the league.

Tony, manu, ky, Smith,and Duncan, closing games...

Mal
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Since Smith is exprining Spurs should trade something valueable, something more than Jax expiring. I cant see it happening

Raven
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
so splitter+jax+filler for josh?

Texas_Ranger
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
It was said that the Nets offered Humphries and Brooks but that the Haws don't want that. Danny Ferry wants something better in return and he won't just trade him cause he won't sign with them after this season. So for the Nets, I don't know what can they really give them. Probably some 1st rouders.

The same thing is with Al Jefferson. Today I listened to the Jazz GM and he won't really trade for some players that they don't really help them. So I bet they wont want Jax, Blair and Neal for Al. We would have to give Tiago and Kawhi most likely.

Spur|n|Austin
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
It was said that the Nets offered Humphries and Brooks but that the Haws don't want that. Danny Ferry wants something better in return and he won't just trade him cause he won't sign with them after this season. So for the Nets, I don't know what can they really give them. Probably some 1st rouders.

The same thing is with Al Jefferson. Today I listened to the Jazz GM and he won't really trade for some players that they don't really help them. So I bet they wont want Jax, Blair and Neal for Al. We would have to give Tiago and Kawhi most likely.

Well then F that...

elemento
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
I call this BS

02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
spurs will definitely have to give up splitter. is the risk worth the potential upgrade? probably. smith's defense is pretty good and he fits into the spurs' running offense with the exception of isos that end in long jump shots. he can score around the rim just as well as splitter and run with parker on the break.

but knowing the FO's personality, the spurs won't pull the trigger even if the hawks are willing to deal.

dbestpro
02-12-2013, 01:57 PM
This is a poker move. First the Spurs want Jefferson, but don't offer enough so Utah bluffs and says we are keeping Jefferson and offering up Milsap. So, now the Spurs have to show their attention elsewhere. In the end who knows what they want. They may just want to stand pat and drive the price up for everyone else.

NASpurs
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Not going to lie, a front court of Leonard, Smith and Duncan would be pretty crazy...

ajballer4
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
If this move gives us number five then you give up some future (Splitter) for it. If this move involves kawhi at all, you can't do it. Setting us back five years to improve our title chances by a slight percentage isn't worth it

GB20
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
here we go again :lol

Bruno
02-12-2013, 02:03 PM
An article about Josh Smith from 10 days ago:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline

The truth about J-Smoove

The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.

However ...

Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to a Carmelo Anthony-style extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.

Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.

The huge edge Spurs have other some other teams is that they can offer Altanta exactly what they want with Jackson big expiring contract. A Spurs offer around Jackson would be 10 times more appealing for hawks than a Nets offer around Humphries.

raybies
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah... if its between ky and Josh then the answers ky.

According to that article kawhi and Jackson would get a deal done.

Seventyniner
02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
The huge edge Spurs have other some other teams is that they can offer Altanta exactly what they want with Jackson big expiring contract. A Spurs offer around Jackson would be 10 times more appealing for hawks than a Nets offer around Humphries.

The Hawks will have to want more than that. Downgrading from Smith to Jax alone would knock them down to #7 or 8 at best, and maybe out of the playoffs. I know the Spurs could give up any of Blair, Bonner, Neal, Mills, De Colo, Joseph, and 2 first-rounders to make it happen, but none of that outside of the picks is enough. The Spurs probably won't be willing to part with two picks because Smith wants max money and the Spurs are highly, highly unlikely to give it to him.

rayray2k8
02-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Are they just making shit up with rumors now? :lol
Its pure bullshit. Like someone said earlier, they're using the "spurs have interests in (insert player here)" card to
pressure certain teams to make a move.
The problem is, it usually works....

TJastal
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
An article about Josh Smith from 10 days ago:
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline

What edge are you talking about? What motivation would the hawks have to make this trade, unless the spurs threw in other assets? Smith's deal expires at the end of the year and they'll probably just let him walk. Some team is going to have to offer an attractive package to get the hawks to do anything.

Brunodf
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM
If we can get him without giving TD/TP/MG/TS/KY...

Texas_Ranger
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
well he is a Spur material... Shooting 50% from the FT line. :rollin

Bruno
02-12-2013, 02:23 PM
This is a poker move. First the Spurs want Jefferson, but don't offer enough so Utah bluffs and says we are keeping Jefferson and offering up Milsap. So, now the Spurs have to show their attention elsewhere. In the end who knows what they want. They may just want to stand pat and drive the price up for everyone else.

Yep, there are likely some negotiation tactics behind some of these rumors. And regarding this rumor, I wouldn't be shocked that the leak comes from Spurs and has arrived to Marc J. Spears ears through Ludden.

timvp
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
My guess is that Buford is just doing Ferry a solid by trying to up Smith's trade value.

Honestly, I just don't like Josh Smith's fit on this team. He's a ball-stopper who takes horribly inefficient shots at inopportune times. He'd be great on the defensive end but I'd guess that the Spurs would give it back on the offensive end with Smith in the game. It'd also be a big gamble and would cause the Spurs to have to rework their offense because Smith standing out on the perimeter playing off the Big 3 would lead to an epic failure. It could work but that's an awfully big risk.

Texas_Ranger
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Josh loves to have the ball on his hands and in the Spurs system he would be just another Richard Jefferson. I do like Smith's game, he can be very useful, specially on defense, but the fact that he wants a max contract and that the Spurs wont give him one, ends the discussion about him being traded here. Also if it was him or Al, I'd rather make a trade for Al.

SenorSpur
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
No way there is any truth to this. Sounds like agent talk to me.

DJB
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM

This.

DPG21920
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
What edge are you talking about? What motivation would the hawks have to make this trade, unless the spurs threw in other assets? Smith's deal expires at the end of the year and they'll probably just let him walk. Some team is going to have to offer an attractive package to get the hawks to do anything.

The edge he is referring to is financial. Since Jackson comes completely off the books next year, that would allow ATL to maximize their cap space. A player like Humphries, which is still owed 12M next year, eats into their ability to chase max-level free agents.

I think ATL knows they are not going to get a top flight talent for a guy like Smith. Their goal is to get some assets while opening up as much cap space as possible it appears. That could change and someone might offer them a great player, but unless it's a player they love, they would likely rather have cap space, draft picks and maybe a good young player on a cheap contract instead of a better overall player since their eyes are on free ageny. Hence the "edge".

DPG21920
02-12-2013, 02:34 PM
My guess is that Buford is just doing Ferry a solid by trying to up Smith's trade value.

Honestly, I just don't like Josh Smith's fit on this team. He's a ball-stopper who takes horribly inefficient shots at inopportune times. He'd be great on the defensive end but I'd guess that the Spurs would give it back on the offensive end with Smith in the game. It'd also be a big gamble and would cause the Spurs to have to rework their offense because Smith standing out on the perimeter playing off the Big 3 would lead to an epic failure. It could work but that's an awfully big risk.

I am not saying you're wrong, but is it common practice for teams to just help out other teams like you describe? Even with the relationship there, why would teams do that? It's not like Ferry is going to allow them to pillage ATL down the road bc of it.

IMO, I don't see the Spurs doing anything that has absolutely no motive behind it to help them in some form or fashion.

Buddy Holly
02-12-2013, 02:34 PM
well he is a Spur material... Shooting 50% from the FT line. :rollin

This is back?

crc21209
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Meh...I don't like Smith's game and I doubt it would even have a slim chance of happening because the guy wants to get paid like crazy...

TJastal
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
The edge he is referring to is financial. Since Jackson comes completely off the books next year, that would allow ATL to maximize their cap space. A player like Humphries, which is still owed 12M next year, eats into their ability to chase max-level free agents.

I think ATL knows they are not going to get a top flight talent for a guy like Smith. Their goal is to get some assets while opening up as much cap space as possible it appears. That could change and someone might offer them a great player, but unless it's a player they love, they would likely rather have cap space, draft picks and maybe a good young player on a cheap contract instead of a better overall player since their eyes are on free ageny. Hence the "edge".

Since Smith's deal also expires at the end of the year I hardly call that an "edge" lmfao..

DrunkTXLabrat
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
splitter and jackson might get it done. but it wouldn't be worth it.

cap space doesn't do much for san antonio, so a big name rental isn't good. maybe smith would stay once he tastes the spurs winning mentality flavored kool-aid, but why risk that? losing splitter would be mess for the offense. even with smith starting to fit in, we would lose a lot of games. we'd still be stuck with blair. i shutter to think of the spurs offense, without jackson and splitter.

smith is the right kinda player. unfortunately he's the wrong kinda cost, and the wrong kinda contract.

Bruno
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
And like a lot of posters have said, it's far from sure Josh Smith will be a good fit with Spurs. It's the same situation than with Al Jefferson: talented but questionable fit.

timvp
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I am not saying you're wrong, but is it common practice for teams to just help out other teams like you describe? Even with the relationship there, why would teams do that? It's not like Ferry is going to allow them to pillage ATL down the road bc of it.

IMO, I don't see the Spurs doing anything that has absolutely no motive behind it to help them in some form or fashion.

It'd help both teams. The Hawks potentially see Smith's stock rise. The Spurs potentially see the asking price of other targets go down if teams thinks the Spurs are legitimately after Smith.

loveforthegame
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I'll be happy when the trade deadline is over and these rumors go away for a while.

Just not that interested in Smith as a Spur.

TJastal
02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
splitter and jackson might get it done. but it wouldn't be worth it.

cap space doesn't do much for san antonio, so a big name rental isn't good. maybe smith would stay once he tastes the spurs winning mentality flavored kool-aid, but why risk that? losing splitter would be mess for the offense. even with smith starting to fit in, we would lose a lot of games. we'd still be stuck with blair. i shutter to think of the spurs offense, without jackson and splitter.

smith is the right kinda player. unfortunately he's the wrong kinda cost, and the wrong kinda contract.

Right now Smith is not even the right kind of player. If he could be molded into a more efficient offensive player I could see him fitting well with Splitter, Parker & Leonard as a potential post Duncan era foundation. Until then, he is not worth even considering at more than 10-12m a year, much less a max contract.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Right now Smith is not even the right kind of player. If he could be molded into a more efficient offensive player I could see him fitting well with Splitter, Parker & Leonard as a potential post Duncan era foundation. Until then, he is not worth even considering at more than 10-12m a year, much less a max contract.

he's not perfect right now, but he's not rj. he'll fit in much better. i'm going off fantasy league stats, i haven't seen much of him on the court. i'm pretty sure the spurs would have him killin' it on the 3 point line. defensively he's a no brainer. my concern is he might look like baynes on the pick and roll for a bit? not good for the guy that would cost us splitter.

DPG21920
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Since Smith's deal also expires at the end of the year I hardly call that an "edge" lmfao..

It's an edge when considering getting something in return for an asset that can leave without compensating you. So, if Josh can leave as a FA, while they may still have the same cap space as a Spurs offer, they may not have the first round pick or any other assets that go along with it. When considering trades, ATL will look to keep their cap space unharmed (so an expiring contract) plus a little something in addition to just letting him walk (draft pick(s) and/or young players on cheap contracts).

ChumpDumper
02-12-2013, 03:05 PM
It's tantalizing for sure. If Smith can be reined in, he could be what Diaw teases us with from time to time. I wouldn't feel comfortable risking more than the players whose minutes/roles he would replace though (Diaw/Bonner/Blair/Jack), therefore it's probably not a go.

NASpurs
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM

ChumpDumper
02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Right, so Ferry would need a reasonably priced player he really wants and or draft picks in return. Doesn't make much sense for him unless the Spurs sent out someone like Leonard in the deal.

letmk
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM

I would not trade Splitter straight with Smith, let alone shipping out more players.

Raven
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Right, so Ferry would need a reasonably priced player he really wants and or draft picks in return. Doesn't make much sense for him unless the Spurs sent out someone like Leonard in the deal.

splitter is a good fit alongside horford and he would resign for a lot less giving them some flexibility

ChumpDumper
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
splitter is a good fit alongside horford and he would resign for a lot less giving them some flexibilityYeah, I didn't see exactly how few players they had signed next season until a few minutes ago. It would be tough to see Splitter's not getting a max deal from Atlanta with their cap situation

Clipper Nation
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
As a Clipperfan, I would love it if the Spurs got J-Smoove... his soft chucking ways would boost our chances against SAS in the playoffs...

As a basketball fan, though, the Spurs wrecking that well-oiled machine of a team by adding a certified dumbass like Smith would be depressing, tbh..

DesignatedT
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Smith doesn't really fit in here but the guy is still a damn good player. He could really help on the glass and defensively. Offensively, he would pretty much have to play the 4 to be effective but he still hasn't gotten open shots in ATL that he would get here. Plus, letting him work with Chip in that area and he might be able to turn into a decent shooter.

Wouldn't give up any combo of TP.TD.Manu,KL, Splitter though.

spurraider21
02-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Smith to the spurs could only work if they can get him to play disciplined. If he utilizes the post more the same way Lebron has transformed, or if he could play like a Blair-Diaw hybrid minus the long jump shot, he would be monster. Plus he's somebody we can throw at Lebron/Durant. A lineup with Tim, Smoove, Kawhi would absolutely smother teams on D. Not sure if I'd sell Tiago though. Odds are we wouldn't resign smith but we would have better than 50/50 shot at resigning Tiago.

said7
02-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Stephen Jackson missed last night game for "personal reasons"? Something is def going down. Al Jefferson only played 20 mins in his last game if that means anything.

waisman
02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Josh Smith !?
NO !!!!!!!!!!
not need !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR-Clutch
02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Its been said that they want a young center to pair with Horford. Splitter certainly fits the bill, but I'm not sure thats a risk you take between Smith's attitude and Splitters Emergence.

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Stephen Jackson missed last night game for "personal reasons"? Something is def going down. Al Jefferson only played 20 mins in his last game if that means anything.

LOL

Duncan2177
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
We may need a Josh Smith in order to get past OKC and beat Miami. Not sold yet on Splitter being able to defend the paint and rebound against the likes of Ibaka, LeBron, and all these other athletic freaks.

chazley
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
A coach like Pop is exactly what Josh Smith needs, and he fits the needs of this team defensively extraordinarily well. Offensively, he's got issues but he also is a capable scorer with a very good inside game. I really don't think giving J-Smith a max deal is such a bad move for this team, as it gives us a good young core of Parker/Kawhi/Smith.

We would have to give up Splitter and Stephen Jackson. The Hawks have literally zero bad contracts, so they have nothing they would want to throw in unless they value a guy like Danny Green enough to give up Anthony Morrow to make salaries work

So: Josh Smith and Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green. If push comes to shove, throw in the first rounder as it's likely to be a pick around 30 anyway. It's a move that is championship-or-bust, and considering Tiago is likely playing himself into a 12m/yr contract, giving Smith 16m/yr doesnt sound too bad.

spurspokesman
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
His plane will be landing in NY soon.

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
A coach like Pop is exactly what Josh Smith needs, and he fits the needs of this team defensively extraordinarily well. Offensively, he's got issues but he also is a capable scorer with a very good inside game. I really don't think giving J-Smith a max deal is such a bad move for this team, as it gives us a good young core of Parker/Kawhi/Smith.

We would have to give up Splitter and Stephen Jackson. The Hawks have literally zero bad contracts, so they have nothing they would want to throw in unless they value a guy like Danny Green enough to give up Anthony Morrow to make salaries work

So: Josh Smith and Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter, Stephen Jackson, and Danny Green. If push comes to shove, throw in the first rounder as it's likely to be a pick around 30 anyway. It's a move that is championship-or-bust, and considering Tiago is likely playing himself into a 12m/yr contract, giving Smith 16m/yr doesnt sound too bad.

NIce way to see things...

DapDaGenius
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM

The only trade for Smith, that makes sense.

Hoops Czar
02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
The only way Josh Smith becomes a Spurs is if he agrees to an extention on the spot. R.C. isn't giving up Splitter for a half year rental. And a third team would have to be involved because Splitter isn't good enough to pry away Smith by himself.

DesignatedT
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
That's also a huge question. Do you pay Tiago 10-12M per year this summer? That's the question that needs to be answered.

MaNu4Tres
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
And like a lot of posters have said, it's far from sure Josh Smith will be a good fit with Spurs. It's the same situation than with Al Jefferson: talented but questionable fit.

I think bringing him off the bench would be the best situation if he hypothetically did get traded to the Spurs. There he wouldn't feel so handcuffed mentally or physically and could just naturally play his game with Manu.

DesignatedT
02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
If the Spurs elect to hold onto Splitter after the deadline they have to resign him this summer. Even if he lays another dud in the playoffs. Letting him walk would be a huge fail.

Mugen
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
i can't emphasize enough how bad of a trade this would be for the Spurs. You pretty much torpedo this year's chance at a ring while simultaneously f'n up whatever plans you have for the post TD/Manu future.

Paying Tiago whatever he will make this summer is infinitely better than giving Smith a max contract. He's barely a year younger than Splitter and relies much more on his athleticism and a lot more inefficient. He's a decent defender but so is Tiago tbh. I don't see much of a difference in that regard.

A core of TP/Kawhi/Smith is a perennial 2nd round exit tbh. TP/Kawhi/Tiago isn't much better but you'll have more wiggle room financially minus all the headaches that come with acquiring a perennial loser like J-Smoove.

Mel_13
02-12-2013, 06:01 PM
i can't emphasize enough how bad of a trade this would be for the Spurs. You pretty much torpedo this year's chance at a ring while simultaneously f'n up whatever plans you have for the post TD/Manu future.

Paying Tiago whatever he will make this summer is infinitely better than giving Smith a max contract. He's barely a year younger than Splitter and relies much more on his athleticism and a lot more inefficient. He's a decent defender but so is Tiago tbh. I don't see much of a difference in that regard.

A core of TP/Kawhi/Smith is a perennial 2nd round exit tbh. TP/Kawhi/Tiago isn't much better but you'll have more wiggle room financially minus all the headaches that come with acquiring a perennial loser like J-Smoove.

:tu

Juan
02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Splitter is a solid defender but he is no way a better or equal defender then Smith. Come on now. Smith is as versatile defender as they come. Smith being put in the right system could be very scary IMO. Playing 1 on 1 in Atlanta obviously isn't it.

chazley
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM

To say that trading, basically, Tiago Splitter for Josh Smith 'torpedos' our chances at a ring, you have zero clue about basketball. Josh Smith is a rare defensive talent. Having a defensive frontcourt of Kawhi/Josh Smith/Duncan would be, bar none, the BEST starting defensive frontcourt in the league. Tiago is an excellent talent, but he will never reach the upside that a Josh Smith has.

td4mvp2k
02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
:lol This is BS the Spurs dont have the $ for him.

td4mvp2k
02-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Could be.

Juggity
02-12-2013, 06:26 PM
As far as big men go, I'd much rather have Smith than Jefferson. Not that it will ever happen.

EricB
02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Josh Smith is Drew Gooden and Ron Mercer. I'm praying this is all smoke...

chazley
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Josh Smith is Drew Gooden and Ron Mercer. I'm praying this is all smoke...

:rolleyes

waisman
I know Smith has High physical strength .
But, Can we expect Smih ? ,,,

Mugen
To say that trading, basically, Tiago Splitter for Josh Smith 'torpedos' our chances at a ring, you have zero clue about basketball. Josh Smith is a rare defensive talent. Having a defensive frontcourt of Kawhi/Josh Smith/Duncan would be, bar none, the BEST starting defensive frontcourt in the league. Tiago is an excellent talent, but he will never reach the upside that a Josh Smith has.

You'd have to give up Jack to make the trade happen. So, in addition to losing the best bigman next to Duncan since Robinson, you lose depth at the 3, another defender to throw at KD, and a proven playoff performer for a guy who shoots 42% in the playoffs (15% from the 3).

Spurs are currently top 5 in Offensive/Defensive rating. They're pretty damn dominant offensively/defensively when Tiago/TD start together. Yet, you want to risk all that for a proven loser like Josh Smith.

For having a "very good inside game", Smith has shot over 50% exactly once in his 9 seasons and has career averages of 15 & 8. Yet you want to trade Green, Jack, Tiago + a 1st rounder and throw max level money at this guy? :lol

Bong
02-12-2013, 06:38 PM
IMO i dont want splitter to be added in the deal, but if PATFO work their magic and have a deal like this to get josh smith http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=af2y93j ---->:rollineven it will just resulted for a half year rental

i think JS play SF/PF - he could provide a back up for KL or play with KL as a 4, this combination could jack up our defensive efficiency and also help in our rebounding woes (which for me is our kryptonite) - we our always being killed by top teams who have bigmen in the boards leading to 2nd chance points that resulted to our demise

for tiago splitter - give the man what he's due, he deserve to have a good contract maybe around +/- $10m per year, he provide a good PnR offense and also provide good defense and his FT really improved i think his averaging 75%+ in the FT area and some games he is perfect the FT area, not like last year when his FT shots were just awful sometimes airballing the damn FT. in rebounding, IMO he really provide a good effort to the spurs to get the possession not in rebounding stat as an individual player per se (cause his just averaging about 5-7 rebounds a game). if you watch closely during games when his on the floor were not being outrebounded by our opponents eventhough splitter does not get the rebound his effort on box outting the opponents big really provide as the space for other spurs player to get the rebound, and when his out or being replaced by bonner or blair, the opponents big really killing us at the boards sometimes having more 2 offensive rebounds in one possession

but IMHO this al jefferson and josh smith to spurs are just simply rumors or maybe strategies used by GM or client's manager to increase a player's trading value, my guess is that PATFO were going to just stand pat at the trade deadline, and also i think blair wouldnt be traded at the deadline cause his trading values is not that good even for a 1st round pick, and its hard for our FO to part with blair for a 2nd round pick, cause he still provide a good solid playing time for 5-7minutes.

EricB
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
:rolleyes

Well written response.

TD 21
02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't think this is just the Spurs trying to help Ferry (and Lindsay, in the case of Jefferson) drum up interest. That type of thing isn't necessary in the case of players the caliber of Smith and Jefferson.

What I think this is, is the Spurs doing their due diligence and seeing if they can get an All-Star caliber talent on the cheap (Jackson, Blair, Joseph, a 1st and maybe one other minor piece). There's virtually no chance of this happening, of course, but it can't hurt to try.

dunkman
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
The Spurs could give him an near max contract if they let Splitter go, ship Jax in a trade to Atlanta and let Manu retire or re-sign for cheap. The Spurs would lose some of the deep and flexibility to sign FA's until Duncan retires.

It's a risk and not 100% sure to function.

CGD
02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Smith must have the same agent as Jefferson...
Dont like this idea and would actually prefer big Al.
If there is any truth to these rumors however, it's interesting to see the spurs so willing to move Jax.

timvp
02-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Between Al Jefferson and Josh Smith, I'd go with Al Jefferson. Al Jefferson at worst is an awkward/redundant fit. Smith at worst is a horrible fit. Plus Al Jefferson is about 10 times the human being, tbh.

(I can't write Al Jefferson without his first name. Good thing it's short.)

palangi
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Your exactly right. Spurs don't have enough money to pay a player like Smith who demands big money. He would have to leave a substantial amount on the table, and you know that is not going to happen. It is however very interesting that the Spurs obviously know this and still show interest.
unless manu retires?

spurraider21
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM

This. I'd rather have Tiago for 12 mil than have Smith for 18 mil

mercos
02-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Bad idea, IMO. Defensively, Smith would be a great pickup. Offensively, I think he would be the second coming of Richard Jefferson. He just doesn't fit the Spurs style of play. Honestly, I feel fine with the bigs we have now. With the way Kawhi has been rounding into form, I'm perfectly satisfied with Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw mixed with the occasional small ball tandem of Leonard and Jackson. If the Spurs need anything right now, it is a better backup point guard in case Manu gets injured in the playoffs. That is more want than need though, as Neal can do the job.

racm
02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I think most of you should know by now that "Spurs want him" is shorthand for "we're trying to raise his trade value".

jesterbobman
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't think there's a scenario where we're trading in a 2 team deal for any of the good bigs mentioned, as they're on Expiring contracts anyway so our expirings have no value to them. Al, Smith and Millsap are all expiring, so the other team gets no savings from taking on Jackson et al, they can just let contracts expire.

It means in general that we'll be looking at 3 team deals, where the 3rd team wants to trim payroll and has some decent long term deals, either as a replacement big (For the Hawks to pair with Horford) or guards(For the Jazz, as they'll have Kanter/Favors/Whoever of Millsap/Jefferson they keep).

Quickly scrolling through, I'd look at
Detroit: Stuckey to Utah (1 year left at ~8.5, option in Utah trade)
Toronto: Amir Johnson(2 years after this, 6.1 this year, option to Utah(or as a 4th big for us)
Dallas: Shawn Marion(1 year left, could be option in S-Jax swap)
Orlando(Nelson, Afflalo as main guys)
Sacramento(Thornton to Jazz)

Not an exhaustive list, and you'd have to evaluate whether those teams would give up more to get the players off their payroll(Going to Utah/Atlanta), or want assets to give them up(In which case it depends on how much the other teams wants them)

rascal
02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
If this move gives us number five then you give up some future (Splitter) for it. If this move involves kawhi at all, you can't do it. Setting us back five years to improve our title chances by a slight percentage isn't worth it

Agree. You move Splitter but not Leonard.

Brazil
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I'd prefer al rather than smith.

i'd love to land horford tough dude would be a great fit for the spurs. His passing skills are amazing

exstatic
02-12-2013, 10:47 PM

It's a HUGE red flag when you're still talking about upside regarding a player who is 27 and in his 9th season in the league. It's not upside, it's potential that was never and will never be reached. He is what he is. He's a premier weak side shot blocker, but the rest of his defense is sketchy. He's often caught out of position or ball watching, and he almost never blocks out to get a rebound. Kawhi is already a FAR better defender than Josh Smith will ever be.

look_at_g_shred
02-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Millsap > Smith

chazley
02-12-2013, 11:44 PM
It's a HUGE red flag when you're still talking about upside regarding a player who is 27 and in his 9th season in the league. It's not upside, it's potential that was never and will never be reached. He is what he is. He's a premier weak side shot blocker, but the rest of his defense is sketchy. He's often caught out of position or ball watching, and he almost never blocks out to get a rebound. Kawhi is already a FAR better defender than Josh Smith will ever be.

Sorry, but at this point Kawhi is not better than Josh Smith defensively. That's not a slight towards Kawhi as much as it is a compliment to Josh Smith. The guy is 6'9 and can guard 3 different positions, and can switch out as good as any big man in the league on pick and rolls, which is exactly what this Spurs team needs defensively.

Also, to say a guy is 27 and has upside is absolutely not a bad thing. The guy is a year younger than Tiago, and I honestly think that playing under Pop he could have career best seasons.

TJastal
02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Smith would defenitely be a risk, and the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion an unnecessary one.. 50% at the line this year. Can you say, "major liability in close games?".. he's really a project at this point, same as Splitter was when he started, worth no more than 8-10m per year if that.

BatManu20
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Will likely never happen. As much as I'd love J-Smoove on the Spurs, it'd cost way too much to get him. Probably Splitter or Leonard and a couple other players and a pick. He'd be great to have defensively and could guard athletic bigs which would be a huge plus when playing teams like OKC, LAC, and Miami. But too much of a price tag for us, and he'd just be a rental. No way we'd give him a max deal in the offseason. I really want this team to make a trade before the deadline but the closer it gets, the more it seams like we're just going to try and ride this group again, for better or worse.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Millsap > Smith

On the Spurs? If your speaking common greater than, no.

SpursIndonesia
02-13-2013, 04:12 AM
For a post season run rental, i'll take Paul Millsap >>>>>>>>>>>> Josh Smith, his rebounding will help a lot, toughness is certified, and can shoot from the outside & decent from the line. And i think Millsap is more cerebral, fact that he plays in the better structured offense in Utah, than the iso heaven of the Hawks, he will absorb Spurs game plan & plays on the fly MUCH BETTER. We know for sh!t that Smith wants a max deal in which the Spurs will NEVER agreed upon (what do you think TP's feeling gonna like if an underachiever like this getting much bigger salary than him, as a franchise player ?).

Bruno
02-13-2013, 04:13 AM
http://sulia.com/ricbucher/f/e8d120ef-5d5e-4f4c-8964-a131bb6dec27/

Ric Bucher
Source: Atlanta Hawks are looking to move Josh Smith, but Brooklyn Nets don't have the necessary pieces to make a deal without including a third team. The Spurs have also been rumored to be interested and, aside from having a built-in level of trust with Hawks GM Danny Ferry, have the kind of assets that would allow them to make a more "interesting" deal, according to the source. It also makes far more sense for the Hawks to move Smith to the Western Conference rather than put him where he would serve as competition.

Bruno
02-13-2013, 04:16 AM
I think bringing him off the bench would be the best situation if he hypothetically did get traded to the Spurs. There he wouldn't feel so handcuffed mentally or physically and could just naturally play his game with Manu.

If you want to re-sign him this summer, starting him might be a better idea. I'm not sure he would like to be a bench player. A Parker/Green/Leonard/Smith/Duncan lineup sounds fine.

Bruno
02-13-2013, 04:30 AM
My stance about a Josh Smith trade is that I would do it under certain circumstances.

First, Pop talked to Smith before the trade to see if he is fine with playing for a contender where he will get less touches and see what kind of contract he wants for this summer.
Second, Spurs keep both Splitter and Kahwi. Spurs offer should for Smith should be Jackson + Bonner + 2 first round picks. If Hawks want more, they can keep Smith.

Next summer, in the worst case scenario (Diaw and Mills picking their options), Spurs would have about $34M below the tax to re-sign Smith, Splitter and Ginobili. It could/should be enough to keep all 3.

Mal
02-13-2013, 05:58 AM
My stance about a Josh Smith trade is that I would do it under certain circumstances.

First, Pop talked to Smith before the trade to see if he is fine with playing for a contender where he will get less touches and see what kind of contract he wants for this summer.
Second, Spurs keep both Splitter and Kahwi. Spurs offer should for Smith should be Jackson + Bonner + 2 first round picks. If Hawks want more, they can keep Smith.

Next summer, in the worst case scenario (Diaw and Mills picking their options), Spurs would have about $34M below the tax to re-sign Smith, Splitter and Ginobili. It could/should be enough to keep all 3.

Bruno, you should sent your CV to become assistant GM somewhere in the NBA.

spurraider21
02-13-2013, 06:10 AM
If we are serious about Smith... I see it like the Al trade. its fine as long as we aren't giving up Tiago or Kawhi. But Smith would have to agree to play a certain role. Like I said in an earlier comment, his outside shooting is intolerable. He needs to limit his game/shots to what LeBron is pretty much doing... almost exclusively in the post. If he wants to face up from the high post, thats ok, as long as he isn't jacking up 18 footers. With his passing ability he could definitely be an asset to our offense, kind of like Diaw but with less range. I see him as a Diaw-Blair hybrid on offense with more athleticism. The question is, what are the odds he would actually agree to that role.

His defense I will never question, though. I only want him playing the 4 though. Smoove at the 3 is ugly. Way too many outside shots for my liking. The one thing that intrigues me quite a bit about Smith is if OKC or Miami are intent on playing Durant/LeBron at the 4, Smoove is definitely a guy we can throw at them, and he wouldn't be a liability on either side of the floor against those guys

NASpurs
02-13-2013, 06:23 AM
http://sulia.com/ricbucher/f/e8d120ef-5d5e-4f4c-8964-a131bb6dec27/

Ric Bucher
Source: Atlanta Hawks are looking to move Josh Smith, but Brooklyn Nets don't have the necessary pieces to make a deal without including a third team. The Spurs have also been rumored to be interested and, aside from having a built-in level of trust with Hawks GM Danny Ferry, have the kind of assets that would allow them to make a more "interesting" deal, according to the source. It also makes far more sense for the Hawks to move Smith to the Western Conference rather than put him where he would serve as competition.

He's talking about Splitter and/or Leonard right? I would throw up if either of those two were involved.

temujin
02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Bruno, you should sent your CV to become assistant GM somewhere in the NBA.

Not to Toronto though.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't trade Kawhi. But Splitter is like 50/50 for me. If we can get Smith for Splitter, Jax and Neal or Mills then I'd probably do it. But Ferry would really have to be a good friend not to want Kawhi in a deal for Smith. We'll also have to give them a first rounder. But our deal looks better then the Nets one. Tiago would pair much better with Horford than Humphries, who is in my opinion not even as good as Tiago. Then they were giving Brooks which is a younger version of Neal. Also with Jax they would just get more cap space next year. The problem is that Josh will want a max contract, so I'd probably have to ask Bruno if can even give him that.... I see a bigger chance us getting Smith than Al Jefferson.

callo1
02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Millsap > Smith

Been wanting Milsap for quite some time. Wouldn't have to lose Tiago to get hopefully. Would be great when teams go small, can play the 3, 4, or 5 in situations.

Look at the Utah stat line from last night against OKC

Captivus
02-13-2013, 08:38 AM
I wouldnt even trade Tiago for Smith. I just dont see it. His poor FT% (50%) is gonna make spurs fan go crazy.
There has to be a way of keeping Tiago and Kiwi and using other assets to get someone. I like Smith, but I wouldnt give up Tiago or Kiwi.
I mean, per 36, both players are almost the same. Smith is better at D, but thats not enough for me.

Strategic
02-13-2013, 08:56 AM
I think Tiago's confidence has been bolstered by being a starter. Putting him back as a rotation player may be too risky. For this reason I think any deal for Smith should include Splitter. Even though it would mean going a couple of inches smaller it should be a good trade. Similiar to what Bruno and others have stated, Smith and Popovich would have to be on the same page concerning key issues prior to any deal.

Bruno
02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
He's talking about Splitter and/or Leonard right?

Yeah, likely but it's also a matter of having expiring contracts. Nets don't have enough expiring contract to match Smith contract. Nets will have to send Humphries to Atlanta to match salaries and it's quite a deal breaker because it will force Atlanta to spend $12M in 2013-2014 on Humphries, a player they likely have zero interest in.

I guess Atlanta would be way more interested in Kawhi than in Tiago. Tiago is still 28 years old and will get a big contract this summer, he isn't such a great piece for a rebuilding team. Kawhi with his youth, his upside and his rookie contract is the perfect target for Atlanta. If Spurs offer him, Ferry will trade away Smith in the blink of an eye.

I would throw up if either of those two were involved.

Agree.

The problem is that Josh will want a max contract, so I'd probably have to ask Bruno if can even give him that.... I see a bigger chance us getting Smith than Al Jefferson.

Well, there are a lot of factors: Will Splitter be traded to get Smith? What kind of money will Manu ask? Will Diaw pick his option? SI Spurs ownership fine with paying some luxury tax?

Regardless of all that, a max contract for Smith will pay him between $95M and $100M over 5 years. Do you really want tot give Smith that kind of money?

eDizzle20
02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I personally haven't watched Josh Smith enough to know if this would be a good deal, but his numbers speak volumes. However, I agree with the majority of posters in that he is not worth it since the Spurs would have to give up Splitter (Kawhi is untouchable) and try to sign Smith to a max deal. I would much rather go for Big Al or Milsap as long as Splitter was not part of the deal. Splitter fits in too nicely into the pick n roll offense and is a smart defender. He also has done an amazing job with his free throws this year, a big reason why he rode the pine in the OKC series last year.

rascal
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
I wouldnt even trade Tiago for Smith. I just dont see it. His poor FT% (50%) is gonna make spurs fan go crazy.
There has to be a way of keeping Tiago and Kiwi and using other assets to get someone. I like Smith, but I wouldnt give up Tiago or Kiwi.
I mean, per 36, both players are almost the same. Smith is better at D, but thats not enough for me.

If your not willing to trade anyone who has value then don't expect to get a player back that will make any type of difference.

Strategic
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
It's easy for me to get smug with this current Spurs' team. The winning seems to do it to me every year. The only Spur that seems tradeable at the moment is Blair. Splitter's game to game improvement lately helps the team seem an odds on favorite for whatever comes, of course that is, if the other stars regain health. So why trade Tiago if he appears to be rounding into the inside presence that we think will have us resting easy and celebrating after the finals? The problem with this comfort zone is that it seems like it's been ages since the Spurs have played the Heat, Thunder or Clippers, which are the most athletic teams in the league(inside and out), and not coincidentally, the biggest threat to the Spurs winning the finals. As you know, comfort zones are like assholes; everyone has one, but at any time they can have the shit blown out of 'em.

rascal
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Looks like most are willing to stand pat with the current team as is. Will imporvements in Leonard and Splitter be enough because it is the same team as last year.

Whisky Dog
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Yeah, likely but it's also a matter of having expiring contracts. Nets don't have enough expiring contract to match Smith contract. Nets will have to send Humphries to Atlanta to match salaries and it's quite a deal breaker because it will force Atlanta to spend $12M in 2013-2014 on Humphries, a player they likely have zero interest in.

I guess Atlanta would be way more interested in Kawhi than in Tiago. Tiago is still 28 years old and will get a big contract this summer, he isn't such a great piece for a rebuilding team. Kawhi with his youth, his upside and his rookie contract is the perfect target for Atlanta. If Spurs offer him, Ferry will trade away Smith in the blink of an eye.

Agree.

Well, there are a lot of factors: Will Splitter be traded to get Smith? What kind of money will Manu ask? Will Diaw pick his option? SI Spurs ownership fine with paying some luxury tax?

Regardless of all that, a max contract for Smith will pay him between $95M and $100M over 5 years. Do you really want tot give Smith that kind of money?

No. I don't know why any team would consider giving a 9 yr guy who's extremely limited in offensive game and has never made an all star team a max deal. He's a slightly above average player.

eDizzle20
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
It's easy for me to get smug with this current Spurs' team. The winning seems to do it to me every year. The only Spur that seems tradeable at the moment is Blair. Splitter's game to game improvement lately helps the team seem an odds on favorite for whatever comes, of course that is, if the other stars regain health. So why trade Tiago if he appears to be rounding into the inside presence that we think will have us resting easy and celebrating after the finals? The problem with this comfort zone is that it seems like it's been ages since the Spurs have played the Heat, Thunder or Clippers, which are the most athletic teams in the league(inside and out), and not coincidentally, the biggest threat to the Spurs winning the finals. As you know, comfort zones are like assholes; everyone has one, but at any time they can have the shit blown out of 'em.

I agree with this. The level of competition lately has not been that of elite teams. The same thing happened last year in which the Spurs were riding a 20-game win streak only for OKC to turn it on and take 4 straight. The last 2 years the Spurs have finished with the best record only to be bounced in the playoffs. I believe that the Spurs do so well in the regular season because they're so deep, but that doesn't matter come playoff time.

SpursIndonesia
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
I think we can all agree that if opportunity presents itself and we have the chance to trade for the right guy without sacrificing too much, we should take that avenue and run to the bank. Problem is, i don't think Josh Smith IS that right guy, AT ALL, especially at his asking price of the max salary. His offensive stats is an empty number in the Spurs offensive grand of scheme, and while his defensive acumen is quite good, not exactly a difference maker or an anchor ala TD or Tyson daddy. Beggar can't be chooser, but certainly shouldn't just accept garbage for its dinner.

jjktkk
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Looks like most are willing to stand pat with the current team as is. Will imporvements in Leonard and Splitter be enough because it is the same team as last year.

Yes. Better defensively. Splitter and Leonard are further integrated into the offense and overall offense and defensive sets. I'm perfectly happy rolling with this Spur's squad as is.

raybies
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
If your not willing to trade anyone who has value then don't expect to get a player back that will make any type of difference.

Jefferson trade... we thought we ...

look_at_g_shred
02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
On the Spurs? If your speaking common greater than, no.

I was speaking in terms of who would be a better fit for our system.

Bong
02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
if this trade really happens and we lost TS and worst kawhi and some other role players just to get josh smith, i hope it will result in a championship, not like the fool's gold when we got richard jefferson in 2009 they have almost the same stat's before we got RJ averaging 20+ points per game during his career in nets and short stint with bucks, but when got traded with us, RJ did not really fit with the system (2009-half season of 2012), performing way below compared with his rookie season. parting with bruce bowen, oberto and thomas destroyed our team chemistry that time, we got the championship in 2007 and at 2008 we lost the western conference finals to the lakers, IMO we lost because manu got injured that time, 2009 we suffered a 1st round exit, 2010 2nd round exit, 2011 1st round exit, 2012 were just 2 games short of making the NBA finals the almost same team we have now. presently our team really have a good chemistry that really works TS great improvement & PnR, Dverde 3pt threat, KL lockdown defense, TP penetration, TD consistency, Manu playmaking if one this player got traded we will lost our team chemistry which we have developed for years. if RC still pursue this gamble for JS i think he will have a very good reason for it that is why his a great GM and im just a blogger, FWIW to trade or not to trade im still a 100% spursfan with 100% support all the way, as we always say as a spursfan during offseason and trade deadline trades "to PATFO we trust" :toast

pad300
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
My take on this is that I absolutely agree with Bruno regarding any trade we currently make - we should not move any current core asset: Tim, Manu, Parker, Kawhi, Tiago, Green. I would be very hesitant about moving Diaw, NDC, or Neal. Disrupting our chemistry (and lack of system familiarity) could easily negate any gain in player ability.
Jackson would be among the second group, except for the fact that his expiring contract might just be our best trade asset.
Regarding Josh Smith in particular, I think he would be a bottom tier trade option for the spurs. He might be a better fit than Al Jefferson, but I am in no way convinced either of them would actually improve the squad. Clearly, our biggest potential problem in the post-season are hyper-athletic stars - in particular I suspect we will have to go through Durant and then Lebron. We have one defender (Kawhi) who is a decent match-up with those athletes. Josh Smith has the physical profile, but he's never had the defensive focus/brains to play that role... I would be looking at other options - AK47 and Marion - before I even thought about Smith.
For a Smith rental (because we are not paying him the max this offseason), there is very little I would be willing to give up - expiring contracts (excluding Tiago), prospects (including Euros), and a 2013 pick, but not more than that.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2013, 11:43 AM

yea, I know we'll have a busy offseason, with Manu's and Tiago's new deals and Diaw, Mills player options. There's also Neal and Blair.... I also don't think the Spurs are willing to pay 20M/year for 5 seasons, the same goes for me. He is a great player, but not wort that kind of money.

moisaenz
02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
If we get smith, what are the odds of resigning him? Besides is there actually a team out there willing to give him a max contract?

NASpurs
02-13-2013, 11:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-thinking-big-trade-deadline-looms-article-1.1262038

Josh Smith, Ben Gordon unlikely to end up with Brooklyn Nets, who shift focus on Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap

The Nets offered Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks for Smith, but the Hawks are seeking a better package for one of their most popular players.

Smith is one of the top players on the trading block because he wants a max-salary contract this coming summer when he becomes a free agent. After talking to the Hawks, the Nets don't believe they have the assets needed to get Smith. The Nets offered Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks, but the Hawks are seeking a better package for an Atlanta product and one of their most popular players.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Nets really have a lot of money. Next year they'll be paying Joe Johnson 21,5 M, Williams 18,5 M, Lopez 14,7 M, Humphries, 12 M and Wallace 10 M. Also lol at them paying amnestied Travis Outlaw 4 M for the next 3 years.

BlackSilver
02-13-2013, 12:46 PM
My take on this is that I absolutely agree with Bruno regarding any trade we currently make - we should not move any current core asset: Tim, Manu, Parker, Kawhi, Tiago, Green. I would be very hesitant about moving Diaw, NDC, or Neal. Disrupting our chemistry (and lack of system familiarity) could easily negate any gain in player ability.
Jackson would be among the second group, except for the fact that his expiring contract might just be our best trade asset.
Regarding Josh Smith in particular, I think he would be a bottom tier trade option for the spurs. He might be a better fit than Al Jefferson, but I am in no way convinced either of them would actually improve the squad. Clearly, our biggest potential problem in the post-season are hyper-athletic stars - in particular I suspect we will have to go through Durant and then Lebron. We have one defender (Kawhi) who is a decent match-up with those athletes. Josh Smith has the physical profile, but he's never had the defensive focus/brains to play that role... I would be looking at other options - AK47 and Marion - before I even thought about Smith.
For a Smith rental (because we are not paying him the max this offseason), there is very little I would be willing to give up - expiring contracts (excluding Tiago), prospects (including Euros), and a 2013 pick, but not more than that.

Well said, sir. My God, I can't believe I'm saying this, but Marion would actually be the perfect addition if you're going to trade at this point in the season. Adding Josh Smith is a fantasy basketball type of move instead of reality.

Jumi
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Defense win NBA championships! Offense wins regular season championships! Josh Smith plays great defense!

Where do you guys get the "Josh Smith doesn't play defense or Al Jefferson is a better player" nonsense from? If we knew we could resign him, I'd let Splitter go in a heartbeat! Basketball is still a business and the Spurs should be in the business of winning. Smith provides that now and for the future.

Captivus
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM

The Spurs have players like Blair, Mills, Jacksons contract, CoJo, Bonner, NDC, Diaw, Neal (?), Green (?)...I mean, not including the Big 3 +Kiwi +Tiago. These players can play, regardless of what the spurs fans say.
Theres gotta be a way of getting better without trading your starters, dont tell me no teams needs any of these players?
Maybe a 3 team trade, like in many trade scenarios, where the Spurs trade 4 players and get 1.

I see your point, but Smith for Tiago...not good enough...IMO.

I just hope the Spurs know what they are doing...dont surprise me with: We didnt trade for anybody...Tiago is leaving...we have money to spend but there are no good players available...Im assuming that wont happen....right?

Whisky Dog
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Defense win NBA championships! Offense wins regular season championships! Josh Smith plays great defense!

Where do you guys get the "Josh Smith doesn't play defense or Al Jefferson is a better player" nonsense from? If we knew we could resign him, I'd let Splitter go in a heartbeat! Basketball is still a business and the Spurs should be in the business of winning. Smith provides that now and for the future.

Oh yes because Josh Smith led Hawks teams are the epitome of winning playoff basketball.

Fact is he can't win in the playoffs in the weaker conference. He's a 3rd or 4th option kin did player and you don't pay that guy max dollars. Max dollars are for guys who make their teams contenders

hooperflash
02-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Spurs Nation Ariticle: Why Josh Smith makes no sense for Spurs
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/13/why-josh-smith-makes-no-sense-for-spurs/

spurraider21
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
If the front office isn't willing to give smoove the contract he wants it makes very little sense to deal for him unless they really want to push their chips all in, or were looking to make a run at Dwight

eDizzle20
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Here's an article from ESPN Insider...

FEB 13
2:07
PM ET

By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

RECOMMEND (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fbl og%2fnba%2frumors%2fpost%3Fid%3D2164&t=Why+Smith%2dto%2dSan+Antonio+won%27t+happen)
COMMENTS (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=2164#comment)
EMAIL (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http%3A%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com% 2fblog%2fnba%2frumors%2fpost%3Fid%3D2164&title=Why+Smith%2dto%2dSan+Antonio+won%27t+happen)
PRINT (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/print?id=2164)

While San Antonio has more to offer Atlanta in a trade for Josh Smith (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2411/josh-smith) than a team like Brooklyn, there are numerous reasons to believe a deal involving Smith and the Spurs is unlikely.

Spurs beat writer Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/13/why-josh-smith-makes-no-sense-for-spurs/) details his top three in a story today:

The Hawks are primarily interested in acquiring picks. Lottery picks.
The Spurs have little to no interest in adding big payroll after this season.
Leonard is borderline untouchable at this point.

All great points by McDonald, and we touched on some of them (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=2096) yesterday when word of the Spurs' interest in Smith was first reported by Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. In our estimation, the biggest issue here is Leonard. If San Antonio really thinks so highly of him that they'd be unwilling to move the second-year pro for a borderline star in Josh Smith, than this deal probably doesn't happen.

"Look, you never say never about trading anybody (except maybe Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan))," McDonald writes. "But thanks to the rookie scale contract system, the Spurs have Leonard — aka “Bruce Bowen with skills” (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/02/11/leonard-takes-star-turn-as-spurs-blast-bulls/) — for two more seasons at a total of $3.1 million. That’s chump change, and quite a value for a player who is becoming increasingly important to what the Spurs do at both ends of the floor. For the budget-conscious Spurs, a player so vastly over-performing his contract is worth holding onto for dear life."

KL2
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
I really can't see the Spurs giving up Kawhi, they've been after a SF like him for years. Not only that but the salaries don't match up between Kawhi, Splitter and Smith. Jack must be inserted for everything to work out, if they trade Kawhi and Jack that leaves 0 SF's on the roster. Even if they do find a way to keep Jack, it's still Jack starting and he's been playing very poorly this whole season.

MR-Clutch
02-13-2013, 02:43 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-thinking-big-trade-deadline-looms-article-1.1262038

Josh Smith, Ben Gordon unlikely to end up with Brooklyn Nets, who shift focus on Utah Jazz forward Paul Millsap

The Nets offered Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks for Smith, but the Hawks are seeking a better package for one of their most popular players.

Smith is one of the top players on the trading block because he wants a max-salary contract this coming summer when he becomes a free agent. After talking to the Hawks, the Nets don't believe they have the assets needed to get Smith. The Nets offered Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks, but the Hawks are seeking a better package for an Atlanta product and one of their most popular players.

According to chad ford, the humpries brooks is the best deal they're being offered. I'd imagine the spurs could put together a better deal that didn't involve TS or KL. Some combo of Neal Blair jax picks and oversea stashes sounds more appealing then that nets package.

SenorSpur
02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
McDonald listed 3 reasons why this Smith trade makes no sense for the Spurs.

- The Hawks are primarily interested in acquiring picks. Lottery picks.
- The Spurs have little to no interest in adding big payroll after this season.
- Leonard is borderline untouchable at this point.

He's absolutely correct on each and every one.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Someone hasn't been watching the games. Splitter is starting next to Duncan now. Wasn't happening last year. Or the year before.

Oh, by the way: Splitter and Duncan are hitting free throws. Why the fuck would the Spurs give up Leonard or Splitter for Josh Smith, especially when he's going to ask for a max contract? :lmao

slick'81
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
dont c this move happening more probably to do with ferry being the gm.

just glad to hear spurs r being active looking to improve the team per usual

BatManu20
02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
2 trades:

Spurs trade JAX, Splitter, the rights to Lorbek, and a 1st round pick to the Hawks for Josh Smith and Anthony Morrow.

Spurs trade Dejuan Blair, Nando de Colo, and Matt Bonner to the Phoenix Suns for Marcin Gortat.

Spurs get 2 athletic big men that we need, including a great defensive presence in Smith who would help tremendously against teams like OKC, LAC, and MIA. Just the type of big splash we need to make it go all in on this season. Do it R.C.!

Mal
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I`ve been thinking on it, and it doesnt make any sense. Those 3 points, that McDonald listed are core of my thinking. Spurs could use Smith, badly, but they cant give any thinking valueable. Imagine Leonard + Smith running after Durant/LeBron - this couldnt be better.

I mean package like Jax + Green + Neal +/- Blair +/- Mills + 1st rounder + rights to Lorbek is weak as shit, and this is the best package Spurs could afford. Ferry could do it only on last minute before trade deadline, and this still would be a huge favor. It will only help Atlanta to get better draft number, nothing more.

Spurs couldnt even flip Bonner`s contract for bad one from Atlanta, because they dont have bad contracts. Stevenson for 2,2 mil/3yrs with 2 year TO and Williams for 5mil are pretty darn good contracts.

MR-Clutch
02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Don't forget about Bertans. The only organization I see giving up lottery picks for Smith is Phoenix and that's because they're morons and a mess of an organization. Maybe it makes sense for Cleveland or Dallas as well, but Cleveland is apparently saving its cap-space for LBJ, and besides a late lottery pick dallas doesn't have much to offer either. Giving J smooth a max contract would be condemning your organization to mediocrity if you're a lottery team. That's why they're getting BS packages like Humpries and Brooks. If they get desperate enough maybe they accept a package that doesn't include Splitter.

Bruno
02-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Ferry might also like Cory Joseph. He has done nothing significant but he has shown some flashes and is still very young.

MR-Clutch
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Ferry might also like Cory Joseph. He has done nothing significant but he has shown some flashes and is still very young.

True. I though about mentioning him or De Colo but they have teague, and I'm not sure if they're in the market for PGs, although I guess assets are assets.

Texas_Ranger
02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Smith is raising his trade value. Last three games he's beasting. Tonight 30, 10 reb, 5 ast, 2 blk and 0 TO in 30 minutes with a +30 +/-

DPG21920
02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Do the Spurs need to make a move? I mean, is it really worth it to blow up the chemistry that is going on? Sure Josh Smith is overall more talented than Tiago, but what's his downside? We know his upside is clearly higher, but his downside is a serious issue while Tiago's is not. It's a very tough call and I have to say that I don't think the Spurs need to make a move that involves Big 5.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Josh Smith will never fit on a potential title team, tbh..his style of play doesn't translate to winning basketball..

He can't shoot, he can't post up..he can create off the dribble in ISO situations, but that wouldn't be effective against good playoff defense..his only redeeming offensive quality is his passing ability, he's a very good passing big..

His offensive flaws negate his defensive impact, tbh..

ace3g
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Do the Spurs need to make a move? I mean, is it really worth it to blow up the chemistry that is going on? Sure Josh Smith is overall more talented than Tiago, but what's his downside? We know his upside is clearly higher, but his downside is a serious issue while Tiago's is not. It's a very tough call and I have to say that I don't think the Spurs need to make a move that involves Big 5.

+1 I don't really even want a trade involving SJAX. See what they can get for Blair/Bonner/Neal, etc; those type of trades and that is about it. Just to eliminate some of the depth clog, so Pop can define roles for the playoffs.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 10:30 PM

It may be a tough call on trading Jax/filler/picks for Smith, but I don't think it's a tough decision at all for the FO to decline any trade for Smith that involves Splitter.

crc21209
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
+1 I don't really even want a trade involving SJAX. See what they can get for Blair/Bonner/Neal, etc; those type of trades and that is about it. Just to eliminate some of the depth clog, so Pop can define roles for the playoffs.

I wouldn't trade Jack for Smith either. I just don't see how Smith fits on this team. Like others have said, he's not a great mid range player, he's not a great 3 point shooter. He's average or maybe above average at everything, definitely not worth a max contract.

crc21209
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't trade Jack for Smith either. I just don't see how Smith fits on this team. Like others have said, he's not a great mid range player, he's not a great 3 point shooter. He's average or maybe above average at everything, definitely not worth a max contract.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
The Spurs don't need a trade, tbh..it's not worth the risk IMO..

OKC is worse, they lost Harden and there hasn't been any internal improvement..the Spurs have seen improvement from Leonard and Splitter..it's not as if they got dominated in last year's series, they simply choked and OKC stepped up in a long series..

The Spurs improvements should suffice in closing the gap IMO..at this point, if the Spurs and Thunder are going to meet in the WCFs, it will be a toss-up that will be decided by execution, shooting/luck, etc..

DAF86
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Jackson is the biggest trade asset and tbh it makes a lot of sense to trade him. Let's face it, he's not playing very well right now and his departure would help acomodate the rotation (making Manu and Neal the wings off the bench and De Colo de backup PG).

crc21209
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Jackson is the biggest trade asset and tbh it makes a lot of sense to trade him. Let's face it, he's not playing very well right now and his departure would help acomodate the rotation (making Manu and Neal the wings off the bench and De Colo de backup PG).

Do you really want Manu or Neal defending Durant when Kawhi needs a break to rest? I don't. That is why Jack is important. He's a gritty, tough, long defender who steps up his game in the Playoffs...

DAF86
I would do Smith for Jack, tbh.

crc21209

OKC is worse, they lost Harden and there hasn't been any internal improvement..the Spurs have seen improvement from Leonard and Splitter..it's not as if they got dominated in last year's series, they simply choked and OKC stepped up in a long series..

The Spurs improvements should suffice in closing the gap IMO..at this point, if the Spurs and Thunder are going to meet in the WCFs, it will be a toss-up that will be decided by execution, shooting/luck, etc..

+1. Agreed all around...:tu

DAF86
02-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Do you really want Manu or Neal defending Durant when Kawhi needs a break to rest? I don't. That is why Jack is important. He's a gritty, tough, long defender who steps up his game in the Playoffs...

I don't think having Manu/Green guard Durant for 10/15 minutes per game would make much of a difference. Either way, if we trade for Smith, he can pretty well do that job.

Bruno
02-14-2013, 05:21 AM
If Spurs get Smith without trading Splitter or Kawhi, Smith will be Spurs best option to play at SF when Kawhi is on the bench. A Smith/Splitter/Duncan combo would have some spacing issues but Smith at SF, with Diaw at PF and one of Splitter/Duncan in the middle should just work fine.

mingus
02-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Bonner + Blair + Stack for Smith.

Mal
02-14-2013, 06:42 AM

Ok, Espn trade machine says yes- you can do it and it works. What is there for Hawks ? Smith is gone, Jax and Blair could be, and Bonner is not. They will spend additional money, do not get any talented player, any draft pick.

pgardn
02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
In the middle of the season for a bonehead...

Pop has a problem integrating boneheads. There is a good chance Pop would dress him down, pouting or failure to bow to the Master would ensue, and Smith would have to die. Pop with Smith... Broccoli with ice cream... It's difficult to stomach.

exstatic
02-14-2013, 08:01 AM

ESPN's trade machine should be banned.

pad300
02-14-2013, 12:59 PM
The key question about trading Sjax for Smith (assuming we are sane and do not agree to move core players - Leonard, Tiago, even Green) is the opportunity cost. Any big trade we make will center on Sjax's expiring. If we trade that for Smith, obviously we can't use it in a trade for AK47 or Shawn Marion, or whoever. Given how bad a fit Smith could be with Pop, I would look at other opportunities (ie AK47, Marion ) first...

mo7888
02-14-2013, 02:34 PM

I agree with that but, If I were looking to trade for a PF to fit in I would target Milsap over Smith....better fit offensively, althought Smith is a much better defender.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
ESPN's trade machine should be banned.
It's quite a useful tool. What should be banned is people who use it continuously to suggest crappy trades! Not every idea needs to be "shared"

spurraider21
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
It's quite a useful tool. What should be banned is people who use it continuously to suggest crappy trades! Not every idea needs to be "shared"

they should just ban lebron, durant, irving, etc from the trade machine tbh

HarlemHeat37
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm not opposed to trading Jackson for a quality player to come off the bench, I just don't believe Josh Smith is that guy, nor do I think he would be willing to come off the bench, tbh..

DesignatedT
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I've seen it mentioned a couple times before but how would most feel about swapping Jack for Marion type of deal?

Seventyniner
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
they should just ban lebron, durant, irving, etc from the trade machine tbh

But then I wouldn't have my cool avatar.

spurraider21
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
But then I wouldn't have my cool avatar.

This is true. What was in that proposed deal, anyway?

pad300
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I've seen it mentioned a couple times before but how would most feel about swapping Jack for Marion type of deal?

I think that Marion would be a much better fit for us. He can take over Jackson's minutes at SF, and he is a defender who has had success (ie not getting utterly crushed) against both Durant and Lebron before. The deal might even be doable without throwing in other assets - IMO, Cuban's strategy is to open up enough room for 2 max contracts this summer - which means moving Marion for an expiring(s) contract (and then of course dropping the rights that come with that contract). $10 Million in Expirings is hard to come by in the current NBA economy...

My only quibble is that I think that I would prefer AK47 even more; but he would cost us at least a pick.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM

I'm not sure it would make that big a difference. Defensively, he'd probably be better, but it wouldn't be that drastic. Shooting wise, in the playoffs, I'd feel more comfy with Jack taking the shot. Jackson is definitely a more creative playmaker though.

Bruno
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8947304/nba-trade-whispers-josh-smith-eric-gordon-paul-millsap-al-jefferson

The Josh Smith saga

Many executives around the league believe Atlanta GM Danny Ferry is intent on moving Josh Smith before the deadline. On Wednesday, three opposing GMs told me definitively that Ferry has decided not to re-sign Smith in free agency this summer and is trying hard to move him within the next week.

The Nets remain one of the most interested teams and with Smith's recent statement that he wants a max deal, some clubs believe Brooklyn's offer of Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks might be the best Atlanta gets. If that's the case, Ferry, who has interest in Brooks but not necessarily Humphries, may not budge and instead might keep Smith for the rest of the season.“

Danny's a Spur. So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone.”-- unnamed rival executive

"Danny's a Spur,'' one rival executive said, referring to Ferry's past work in San Antonio's front office. "So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone. I don't think Danny takes the Nets' deal. I think someone has to do better than that.''

edgar
02-14-2013, 04:10 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8947304/nba-trade-whispers-josh-smith-eric-gordon-paul-millsap-al-jefferson

Does this mean that tiago is whats keeping the spurs from aquiring smith..?

intlspurshk
02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote: The Josh Smith saga

Many executives around the league believe Atlanta GM Danny Ferry is intent on moving Josh Smith before the deadline. On Wednesday, three opposing GMs told me definitively that Ferry has decided not to re-sign Smith in free agency this summer and is trying hard to move him within the next week.

The Nets remain one of the most interested teams and with Smith's recent statement that he wants a max deal, some clubs believe Brooklyn's offer of Kris Humphries and MarShon Brooks might be the best Atlanta gets. If that's the case, Ferry, who has interest in Brooks but not necessarily Humphries, may not budge and instead might keep Smith for the rest of the season.“

Danny's a Spur. So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone.”-- unnamed rival executive

"Danny's a Spur,'' one rival executive said, referring to Ferry's past work in San Antonio's front office. "So he won't give him away, but if someone comes with a good offer, Josh Smith is gone. I don't think Danny takes the Nets' deal. I think someone has to do better than that.''

There must be better offer. Bad teams like Bobcat can trade for Smith with a pick+fillers and absorb his salary and resign him next year. They can't do anything better in draft and in free agency, can they?

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Does this mean that tiago is whats keeping the spurs from aquiring smith..?

It's not happening. Ferry wants cap space/cheap talent/picks. Spurs don't have anything but a way to clean off more cap space (Jackson).

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
It's funny how a rumor gets started all because Ferry is a former Spur, I can almost guarantee that's how this whole thing started.

mingus
02-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Ok, Espn trade machine says yes- you can do it and it works. What is there for Hawks ? Smith is gone, Jax and Blair could be, and Bonner is not. They will spend additional money, do not get any talented player, any draft pick.

I should have clarified: other than adding a future 1st and or2nd rounder, I wouldn't touch any of our core guys. So basically, I dont advocate a practical trade. Just another way of me saying I don't think a trade will go down nor do I think it should because it would likely mean adding kawhi or Splitter.

Bruno
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM
There must be better offer. Bad teams like Bobcat can trade for Smith with a pick+fillers and absorb his salary and resign him next year. They can't do anything better in draft and in free agency, can they?

It's damn difficult for a team to give true assets for Smith, a player that will be an unrestricted free agent this summer and is asking about $100M for his new contract.

A team will only do such a trade if either they are fine with giving these $100M to Smith of if they are quite confident they will be able to re-sign him for a more reasonable contract like $60M or $70M over 5 years.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:23 PM
It's not happening. Ferry wants cap space/cheap talent/picks. Spurs don't have anything but a way to clean off more cap space (Jackson).

Spurs do meet your requirements...
#45 and Bonner=Cheap Talent
Jackosn=Cap Space
Draft Picks.. Done!!

waisman
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Other team wants NEAL or TIAGO or COLO (Cheap player),Draft Picks.
JAX is Salary (10M,end this year)
AL & Smith are end this year too .

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Spurs do meet your requirements...
#45 and Bonner=Cheap Talent
Jackosn=Cap Space
Draft Picks.. Done!!

When I say cheap talent, Blair and Bonner are not that. They are situational players who can help. Blair is really bad if you care about defense and I'm sure Ferry does.
Draft picks = Spurs don't have many to give, and not very high. Not worth Smith.

Ferry might be really good friends with Pop and RC, but he's not just going to hand them Smith for next to nothing.

TheCerebral1
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Why give up Tiago for another expiring contract. I would rather keep Tiago and Colo and trade Bonner/Blair/Neal/Joseph/draft picks for whatever that can bring.

Embedded
02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Are they just making shit up with rumors now? :lol
Its pure bullshit. Like someone said earlier, they're using the "spurs have interests in (insert player here)" card to
pressure certain teams to make a move.
The problem is, it usually works.... RayRay2K8, LMBAO @ T-Mac photo, man, that's just wrong!!! hahahahahahaha!

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Why give up Tiago for another expiring contract. I would rather keep Tiago and Colo and trade Bonner/Blair/Neal/Joseph/draft picks for whatever that can bring.

They can do better than that.

Seventyniner
02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
This is true. What was in that proposed deal, anyway?

I wish I could remember. It was last year or the year before. I think it involved the Bobcats or Wizards trading their whole roster for every All-Star you could fit under the tax. IIRC they had a decent-sized payroll then.

BatManu20
02-14-2013, 10:06 PM
As I'm sitting here watching the Heat pound the Thunder in OKC, and watching Lebron's complete domination over the competition, I'm realizing that I don't think anyone can beat the Heat right now if Lebron plays like this. They just have too many options and too many 3-point shooters, and Lebron gets to the rim at will; Literally whenever he wants to. I think we could make it interesting, but in a 7 game series, I really don't think anyone can beat the Heat right now. We need to add a player tha can help protect the rim cause Duncan alone will be match for Lebron and Wade's penetration. But, if the Heat role players are knocking down open shots like they have been lately, it likely won't even matter.

BatManu20
02-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Unlikely trade scenario: JAX, Bonner, Blair, and NDC for: Pau Gasol, Devin Ebanks, and Robert Sacre (Lakers also receive two 1st-round draft picks)

I'm just talking out of my ass here, but this would be awesome tbh. Take a chance on a guy who could be a huge pickup come playoff time. We need another big, he'd be a perfect fit in this system with his passing ability and his mid range jump shot. Plus, he'd give us offense in the post other than Duncan. Lakers have been shopping him for 2 years now and you add in the fact that he's injured right now which gives them all the more reason to trade him. He's expected to be back in 6-8 weeks though so that shouldn't be an issue. Lakers realize they're done this season and want to trade Pau, and they traded all their draft picks for the next couple years acquiring Nash and Howard so they'd want to replenish. Spurs could get a real steal. Again, almost guaranteed not to happen but the Spurs should be trying to make it happen.

OR

JAX, NDC, Blair, and a 1st-round pick to PHX for: Marcin Gortat, Sebastian Telfair, and Wesley Johnson. Spurs get another athletic big that we desperately need, a serviceable backup PG, and a guy who I think could be a steal in the Spurs system. Johnson can shoots 3's lights out at time, he just can't create his own shot. Enter Spurs. This would be a good trade. Phoenix might bite.

Pop
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
As I'm sitting here watching the Heat pound the Thunder in OKC, and watching Lebron's complete domination over the competition, I'm realizing that I don't think anyone can beat the Heat right now if Lebron plays like this.

That's why we need Smith if there's any way to get him.

Duncan Smith backed up by Baynes Diaw could be incredible.

The backup SF becomes a question mark if we include SJax in the trade, so maybe do Blair for Casspi as well.

Sjax + Tiago + as many first rounders as it takes for Smith
&
Blair for Casspi

TheCerebral1
02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Unlikely trade scenario: JAX, Bonner, Blair, and NDC for: Pau Gasol, Devin Ebanks, and Robert Sacre (Lakers also receive two 1st-round draft picks)

I'm just talking out of my ass here, but this would be awesome tbh. Take a chance on a guy who could be a huge pickup come playoff time. We need another big, he'd be a perfect fit in this system with his passing ability and his mid range jump shot. Plus, he'd give us offense in the post other than Duncan. Lakers have been shopping him for 2 years now and you add in the fact that he's injured right now which gives them all the more reason to trade him. He's expected to be back in 6-8 weeks though so that shouldn't be an issue. Lakers realize they're done this season and want to trade Pau, and they traded all their draft picks for the next couple years acquiring Nash and Howard so they'd want to replenish. Spurs could get a real steal. Again, almost guaranteed not to happen but the Spurs should be trying to make it happen.

OR

JAX, NDC, Blair, and a 1st-round pick to PHX for: Marcin Gortat, Sebastian Telfair, and Wesley Johnson. Spurs get another athletic big that we desperately need, a serviceable backup PG, and a guy who I think could be a steal in the Spurs system. Johnson can shoots 3's lights out at time, he just can't create his own shot. Enter Spurs. This would be a good trade. Phoenix might bite.

I like this a bit. Gortat would be a perfect fit. He has size is mobile enough to fit in great and we don't give up too much on the back end. I would still prefer to shed Neal than Colo, but all in all a great trade proposal.

ace3g
02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Pacers have shown that that height can work against the Heat as well.

DPG21920
02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
PHX would be in no hurry to just dump Gortat. Spurs first rounders (at least the very short-term) don't hold a ton of value and PHX has 0 salary issues with Gortat on the books. If he is going to be moved it will be for a player they really like and/or picks that are more appealing.

chazley
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Don't see why Spurs would feel the need mid-season to get a guy like Gortat who isn't as good a fit for the Spurs as Tiago is. If the Spurs make a trade that involves someone good, it'll be combining assets, including Tiago, and trying to bring back a star big next to Tim. Otherwise, this team is too strong to break up.

exstatic
02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
As I'm sitting here watching the Heat pound the Thunder in OKC, and watching Lebron's complete domination over the competition, I'm realizing that I don't think anyone can beat the Heat right now if Lebron plays like this. They just have too many options and too many 3-point shooters, and Lebron gets to the rim at will; Literally whenever he wants to. I think we could make it interesting, but in a 7 game series, I really don't think anyone can beat the Heat right now. We need to add a player tha can help protect the rim cause Duncan alone will be match for Lebron and Wade's penetration. But, if the Heat role players are knocking down open shots like they have been lately, it likely won't even matter.

A team can beat them. We have the post scoring they can't stop, and enough shooters and penetrators to bedevil their donut defense. That's right. There's a great big hole right in the middle of it.

Steve Kerr said on the OKC/MIA telecast that Miami caught a break last year by OKC eliminating us.

stxspurs
02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
radio was saying atlanta was talking, jax and first round pick for josh

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM

if thats it then do it

capek
02-15-2013, 10:31 PM

SA radio or ATL radio? Either way probably just rehashed speculation.

stxspurs
02-15-2013, 11:49 PM
SA radio or ATL radio? Either way probably just rehashed speculation.

Radio here said they read atl report. Yeah but who knows

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 11:54 PM

Sounds great...

chapnis
02-15-2013, 11:59 PM
I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Sean Cagney
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
I'd do that in a heartbeat.

LOL that would be a steal! Our first round picks are like second round picks anyways lol.

BatManu20
02-16-2013, 12:11 AM

Pipe dream. If ATL won't trade him to Brooklyn for Kris Humphries and Marshon Brooks, why would they basically give him away for a late 1st round pick? Would never happen.

jesterbobman
02-16-2013, 12:30 AM
I know this will seem homerish, but I'd rather have a #30 pick and an expiring than Brooks and Humphries. Humphries and Brooks are not worth close to their combined salaries next year. While a #30 pick is not that valuable, it's also a chance to sign someone for 1m a year, and you can expect to get someone who can outperform that deal.

moisaenz
02-16-2013, 12:40 AM
is ferry the new jerry west?

Texas_Ranger
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Pipe dream. If ATL won't trade him to Brooklyn for Kris Humphries and Marshon Brooks, why would they basically give him away for a late 1st round pick? Would never happen.

Perhaps cause with Jax contract ending they would have more cap space. Humphries's got a 12M contract for 2 years, so it would be a bad move for the Haws. Only if they think Hump is a quality PF they need, but I dont think so.

dunkman
02-16-2013, 01:55 AM

Unless Jack has a 20% trade kicker in his contract, that trade won't work without another player(s) being shipped.

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
is ferry the new jerry west?

If you are referring to the Gasol (Marc/Pau) deal, Chris Wallace was the GM. West had retired from those duties by then.

Kidd K
02-16-2013, 02:49 AM

You don't need to be in contact with agents to know it's true. MANY agents will throw San Antonio's name into the mix to drum up how "good" a player must be. Hey, if the Spurs want him, he must be good!

It's mostly done with free agents, but since Smith is shopping for a max deal destination, he might's well be a mid-season free agent.

The Spurs' name is frequently thrown out there to drum up additional interest lately.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-16-2013, 02:52 AM
I know this will seem homerish, but I'd rather have a #30 pick and an expiring than Brooks and Humphries. Humphries and Brooks are not worth close to their combined salaries next year. While a #30 pick is not that valuable, it's also a chance to sign someone for 1m a year, and you can expect to get someone who can outperform that deal.

crazy as it seems. i agree with you. sjax and 30 overall is better than humphries and brooks.

i base my nba theories on fantasy league stats and personal huntches. so i'd like to see a fan of the association respond to this.

humphries aint terrible, but he's a bit overpaid. sjax is clearly overpaid, but at least he's expiring. sjax ftw!

brooks on the other hand, was a 25 overall last year. he was putting up some impressive stats his rookie year, until he got hurt. this year, the nets are just being dumb. i don't know why they're playing bogans, stackhouse, or evans more than brooks. brooks would kill if they put him on the floor. brooks is exactly the late 1st value player the spurs are offering. except brooks is 2 years into his value rookie contract. spurs 1st ftw!

chapnis
02-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Unless Jack has a 20% trade kicker in his contract, that trade won't work without another player(s) being shipped.

Bonner/Blair?

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 03:02 AM
humphries aint terrible, but he's a bit overpaid. sjax is clearly overpaid, but at least he's expiring. sjax ftw!

Humphries D is pretty damn bad though.

exstatic
02-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Even if it worked, the Spurs wouldn't take a $3M overburden that would throw them immediately into tax territory. At the very least, they'd insist on Bonner being included and throw the $1M he's due next year into the trade so ATL can buy him out after the season.

Bruno
02-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Yeah, if Spurs can do a trade with Jack expiring, without including Kawhi and Tiago, either Bonner will need to be included or Spurs will go into the tax territory.

I'm not sure how reluctant Hawks would be to take Bonner contract. He isn't an expiring but it's only $1M. If Hawks don't want Bonner and even if Pop said earlier this season that Spurs won't pay the tax, he might be able to sold Spurs ownership that it's worth it for Smith.

dunkman
02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Even if it worked, the Spurs wouldn't take a $3M overburden that would throw them immediately into tax territory. At the very least, they'd insist on Bonner being included and throw the $1M he's due next year into the trade so ATL can buy him out after the season.

I guess Bonner would be expandable, as he doesn't play much this season and I doubt pop gives him another chance in the PO's. Josh Smith is a PF-SF, so he could replace both, Jack and Bonner. While he can't shot like Bonner, he was a dunk champ and all-defensive. The Spurs could go small without sacrificing shot blocking or rebounding. He would definitely be a terrific fit, probably the player the Spurs need to win it all.

Bruno
02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/15/13/NBA-trade-buzz-Nets-get-set-for-deadline/msn_landing.html?blockID=864873&feedID=3725

• FOX Sports Ohio sources all but guarantee Atlanta forward Josh Smith will be moved. No one is quite sure where he might go, although Brooklyn, Dallas and Phoenix are mentioned most as possible destinations.

• San Antonio could emerge as a potential landing spot for Smith, according to an Eastern Conference GM. With Smith’s expiring contract, it is believed the Spurs wouldn’t have to surrender much in return — and that coach Gregg Popovich and stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili would be able to keep the sometimes-difficult Smith in line.

• One source said he believes Smith could be retained by Hawks general manager Danny Ferry past the deadline, provided the offers aren’t to Ferry’s liking. “They won’t just give the guy away,” the source said. “(Smith) is practically an All-Star. You can deal with the contract situation later.”

Pop
02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Get him tbh!!!

I'd be ready to send one of Green who was drafted by Ferry or Tiago, 2 first rounders, SJax to make salaries match even tho I think someone like SJax is good to connect with headcases and keep them in check but there's no choice basically.

CIA Pop
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Get him tbh!!!

I'd be ready to send one of Green who was drafted by Ferry or Tiago, 2 first rounders, SJax to make salaries match even tho I think someone like SJax is good to connect with headcases and keep them in check but there's no choice basically.

You're a disgrace to My name. Never post here again.

capek
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Certainly wouldn't send out Tiago, but Jax and filler would be a no brainer. Don't expect Spurs to actually make any big moves though. So rarely happens.

TheCerebral1
02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Certainly wouldn't send out Tiago, but Jax and filler would be a no brainer. Don't expect Spurs to actually make any big moves though. So rarely happens.

Exactly, he's an expiring contract. While the Hawks should get something for him, to that end is debatable. Jackson, Blair and pick one of De Colo, Neal, Joseph.

callo1
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Is Ferry going to go Jerry West for Pop?

Some signs are on the wall.

I was thinking this had zero chance at first, but things that I am hearing now give it more credibility...one player may be getting in the way, and it isn't Splitter or Leonard.

Still not going to hold my breath

CGD
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Well if the Spurs feel they have to move Jax please move him the hell away from the West. If the spurs were going to trade for Big Al I can just see a Spurs-jazz first round series and Jax lighting us up. Same goes for Neal tbh.

BatManu20
02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Trade rumors like this are such a tease. It gives us hope, only to be let down again tbh. I'd welcome it with open arms but I'm 90% sure the Spurs will stand pat as usual.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-16-2013, 03:16 PM

i'm sitting here comparing green to ray allen in another thread. but i'd rather the spurs send green and blair with sjax and the 1st. we know ferry likes green. bonner is serviceable. he doesn't mind sitting on the bench. he knows the system. he can still be amnestied this summer? or at least cut for pretty cheap.

i'm not like everybody else in here, i actually believe in decolo and mills. shipping green means more pt for both. neal and cojo can split 3rd string.

this summer. jackson and green won't be a cap issue = +13 mill. no guaranteed contract 1st = +1 mill. neal not re-signed = +1 mill. options with bonner = +3-2 mill. manu at half this years deal = +7 mill. if splitter is happy enough here to give the spurs a discount -7-10 mill. = 12-14 mill this summer to offer smith.

i think smith would re-sign here. and i'm not a nay sayer about smith. he'd be worth it. the spurs would turn him into timmy. tp, kl, js, td, and ts with the bench core of manu, decolo, diaw = back to back champhionships! timmy one ups big dave again, with an option to do what michael friggin jordan did. go out as 3 peat champion.

i think this is the move we all don't see coming. we all know ferry has a boner for green, i think he'd risk unleashing a 2 or 3 year reign of spurs dominance. ivan johnson and pachulia make for good blair insurance. except for johnson, they're all just stand ins. the hawks will have a big 3 of teague, horford, and green. add 3 1st rounders and crazy cap space, probably for howard? who knows?

set at guard, quality big, and young as hell. ferry is trying to make the 13-14 hawks, into the 12-13 rockets. i think that's his motivation.

exstatic
02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
i'm sitting here comparing green to ray allen in another thread. but i'd rather the spurs send green and blair with sjax and the 1st. we know ferry likes green. bonner is serviceable. he doesn't mind sitting on the bench. he knows the system. he can still be amnestied this summer? or at least cut for pretty cheap.

i'm not like everybody else in here, i actually believe in decolo and mills. shipping green means more pt for both. neal and cojo can split 3rd string.

this summer. jackson and green won't be a cap issue = +13 mill. no guaranteed contract 1st = +1 mill. neal not re-signed = +1 mill. options with bonner = +3-2 mill. manu at half this years deal = +7 mill. if splitter is happy enough here to give the spurs a discount -7-10 mill. = 12-14 mill this summer to offer smith.

i think smith would re-sign here. and i'm not a nay sayer about smith. he'd be worth it. the spurs would turn him into timmy. tp, kl, js, td, and ts with the bench core of manu, decolo, diaw = back to back champhionships! timmy one ups big dave again, with an option to do what michael friggin jordan did. go out as 3 peat champion.

i think this is the move we all don't see coming. we all know ferry has a boner for green, i think he'd risk unleashing a 2 or 3 year reign of spurs dominance. ivan johnson and pachulia make for good blair insurance. except for johnson, they're all just stand ins. the hawks will have a big 3 of teague, horford, and green. add 3 1st rounders and crazy cap space, probably for howard? who knows?

set at guard, quality big, and young as hell. ferry is trying to make the 13-14 hawks, into the 12-13 rockets. i think that's his motivation.

I don't think you can give them Green. The wing defense is already taking a hit by sending out Jack. That leaves good defenders in Kawhi and Manu, who can only play limited minutes, and the detritus: DeColo, Mills, and Neal. None of them can really defend worth a shit.

DAF86
02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
If the Spurs can get Smith without trading Tim, Manu, Tony, Leonard and Splitter they have to do it. Would also be nice not to trade Green and Diaw.

palangi
02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
if we could get smith for jax, bonner, mills, and a first round pick i would be all for it.

then trade blair for fab melo in boston. we would be set with some size and athleticism.

we could be really good.

Spurious
02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
The problem with Josh Smith is that he's...Josh Smith. We see a young, big body that can run and jump and do a lot of other things that are hard to find in a single package. But Josh looks in the mirror and sees a blend of the best of Barkley, Olajuwon and Reggie Miller. He's so spotty from outside, but that doesn't stop him from bombing away at inappropriate times. He'll keep both teams in it. He all but single-handedly gave the Knicks a win a few weeks back by making three numbskull plays in the last 30 seconds. How do we know he'd suddenly qualify for Mensa membership by joining the Spurs? I love the physical talent but am scared of just how scattered he is at random times on the court.

palangi
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
i think smith would have a different makeup joining the spurs. he would be joining a winning team. vet leadership. a strong willed successful coach. and a true chance to win

letmk
02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't think you can give them Green. The wing defense is already taking a hit by sending out Jack. That leaves good defenders in Kawhi and Manu, who can only play limited minutes, and the detritus: DeColo, Mills, and Neal. None of them can really defend worth a shit.

Totally agreed. Any potential big trade has to involve Jack's expiring contract. So you can't trade away Green as well since that leaves us with enormous defense holes. For as much as Spurs fans hate Green for his weakness at defense, he is leaps and bounds better than other wings outside Kawhi and a limited Manu.

I was wondering for a while what it takes to get Dudley from the Suns.

BatManu20
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Talk about a defensive liability.. Dudley can shoot the 3, but his defense is awful. His foot speed is about on par with Spitters, only he has to guard SF's. It's bad news tbh.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Totally agreed. Any potential big trade has to involve Jack's expiring contract. So you can't trade away Green as well since that leaves us with enormous defense holes. For as much as Spurs fans hate Green for his weakness at defense, he is leaps and bounds better than other wings outside Kawhi and a limited Manu.

Not to pull a Paranoid Pop here, but I would imagine that Leonard would play a fair share of minutes at the two after this trade. Smith would start at the four, but once the subs come in, he'd probably move down to small-forward. The only way to Splitter, Diaw, Smith and Leonard to each play as much as they need to is for that to happen.

jesterbobman
02-16-2013, 06:24 PM
OFF TOPIC RANT: Do people get that we've been really good with the TP-Green-Kawhi-TD-Spliiter lineup? With all the trade Green threads and desire to trade him, it seems that people are completely ignoring that. He isn't the main cause, but the Advanced +/- models normally put him as a small positive or neutral, Which makes him comfortably worth his contract. I just don't see how it makes sense to trade that when Manu is limited in minutes and Green is so superior to other options. It seems like the fact he's not Bruce Bowen makes him a terrible defensive player to some, while those same people want to move him and have Gary Neal play more.

If we can get Smith(or Millsap) without sacrificing starting lineup+Manu/Diaw then anything else is worthwhile. A trade basically has to involve S-Jax, and keeping options to cover SF minutes is smart.

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Not to pull a Paranoid Pop (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29467) here, but I would imagine that Leonard would play a fair share of minutes at the two after this trade. Smith would start at the four, but once the subs come in, he'd probably move down to small-forward. The only way to Splitter, Diaw, Smith and Leonard to each play as much as they need to is for that to happen.

So if they started it would be Parker/Leonard/Smith/Duncan/Splitter? That weakens the offense as Smith plays a position that depends on 3pt shooting. Since he would be a Spur so late into the season it would be better if he came off the bench. He should play a 4 role, not a 3 role (where it gives him more opportunity to shoot 3s).

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 06:37 PM
OFF TOPIC RANT: Do people get that we've been really good with the TP-Green-Kawhi-TD-Spliiter lineup? With all the trade Green threads and desire to trade him, it seems that people are completely ignoring that. He isn't the main cause, but the Advanced +/- models normally put him as a small positive or neutral, Which makes him comfortably worth his contract. I just don't see how it makes sense to trade that when Manu is limited in minutes and Green is so superior to other options. It seems like the fact he's not Bruce Bowen makes him a terrible defensive player to some, while those same people want to move him and have Gary Neal play more.

If we can get Smith(or Millsap) without sacrificing starting lineup+Manu/Diaw then anything else is worthwhile. A trade basically has to involve S-Jax, and keeping options to cover SF minutes is smart.

Shit, people were crapping on Bowen in his last years, saying his offense was so bad, he shouldn't start... Oh how fun it is.

Chomag
02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
I know people here are usually against moves as they are very change phobic, but spurs landing Smith without giving up any of the big 3 would give them a competing chance against the heat for the championship. Not saying this is going to happen but if there is a chance this deal should get done.

Brunodf
02-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Advanced stats show that Green is the weakest link of the starting 5.

AFBlue
02-16-2013, 08:04 PM
During Pop's interview he basically stated that the Spurs don't bring in players who haven't gotten over themselves. Something tells me Josh "I'm a max player" Smith doesn't end up a Spur, no matter how much of an upgrade he represents.

callo1
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
So if they started it would be Parker/Leonard/Smith/Duncan/Splitter? That weakens the offense as Smith plays a position that depends on 3pt shooting. Since he would be a Spur so late into the season it would be better if he came off the bench. He should play a 4 role, not a 3 role (where it gives him more opportunity to shoot 3s).

While I understand your point of making a late trade acquisition, you need to keep in mind that after the RRT, the Spurs play a ton of home games with more time than normal to practice, thus being able to integrate new talent into the fold.

therealtruth
02-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced stats show that Green is the weakest link of the starting 5.

I would like to see the defensive havoc you would get by playing Manu and Kawhi in the starting lineup.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 08:26 PM

I think Diaw might start in that case. His range and play-making ability would be an asset. It's just not possible to play Smith enough minutes, Leonard enough minutes, and Diaw, Duncan and Splitter enough if Smith comes off the bench. He's making too much money to do that, and the Spurs have to make a decision on a contract offer before the end of the season. If the Spurs acquired him, he would be starting.

Also, keeping Smith at the four full time still leaves the three weak. Leonard, Jack, Green and Ginobili are the only players who can really play the small-forward spot. Trading Danny and Jack would force Manu to play the three more than he should. It just makes more sense if Smith gets a large share of those minutes and for Leonard to split his between the wing spots.

I agree spacing may be an issue with that proposed line up, but on defense, Smith is actually a really good small-forward. Having him start on Durant and Lebron would be a huge plus.

Richie
02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Seriously, we won't get Smith for trash. The Hawks would rather keep him and lose him as a free agent. We would need to at least give up Green and a pick, and that might not even be enough.

If Pop thought he would be able to thrive in the Spurs atmosphere then it'd be a good move. Smith has been no more a problem than Jackson has been on other teams. Of course, I'm not sure why Pop would have any reason to feel he could control Smith, it's not like they would have ever spent any time together.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
smith would have to be the starting sf. he could see plenty post minutes though. timmy needs to rest those knees.

TrainOfThought5
02-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Seriously, we won't get Smith for trash. The Hawks would rather keep him and lose him as a free agent. We would need to at least give up Green and a pick, and that might not even be enough.

If Pop thought he would be able to thrive in the Spurs atmosphere then it'd be a good move. Smith has been no more a problem than Jackson has been on other teams. Of course, I'm not sure why Pop would have any reason to feel he could control Smith, it's not like they would have ever spent any time together.

........ that would be getting him for trash, tbh.

Seventyniner
02-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Yeah, this definitely belongs here.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49283/courtvision-the-worst-shooters-so-far, along with the companion article about the best shooters (check the Best Shooters link at the bottom of that column) is a great read. Josh Smith is the worst shooter in the league from two of the four midrange areas of those with enough attempts.

Basically, Josh Smith is elite at scoring at the rim (62% FG on attempts less than 7.5 feet) while being a terrible mid to long-range jumpshooter (27% FG on attempts more than 7.5 feet).

This brings up two questions for the Spurs:
1) Where does he fit in the lineup?
2) Can Pop get him to stop taking any jumpers ever?

So the best fit is starting 4, ideally, alternating on the block with Duncan. He can't play the 3, though, unless Diaw or Bonner is next to him at the 4 to at least provide some semblance of spacing. Duncan/Splitter/Smith is a terrible offensive frontcourt because neither Splitter nor Smith is any sort of effective more than a few feet from the hoop.

capek
02-16-2013, 11:23 PM
That's a real problem. Also, what would be off season plan be? Resign Splitter and let Smith walk? Or try to convince Smith he's not worth the max and do the reverse? Can't imagine we'd be able to sign them both, so the whole idea doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. It's been nice having an actual center to play next to Duncan this season.

palangi
02-16-2013, 11:24 PM
if we did have to trade green here how about a starting line up of leonard at the 2 and smith at the 3. we get long and athletic. and both are athletic and quick enough to guard those positions.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-17-2013, 12:40 AM
smith would be at 3. the spurs aren't interested in him for his offense. they want 2 kawhi's.

smiths primary offensive focus will be fast breaks off forced turnovers. sprinkle in the occasional pull up jumpers and easy 3's. and a touch of pick and roll or high post minutes, while timmy or tiago rest. please believe in pop and chip. smith WOULD NOT jack up garbage shots or shoot a low percentage here.

splitter would continue to start, he's too important. parker, high post duncan, and the wings all drink on the well water of the splitter pick and roll. splitter has emerged, a demotion would kill the spurs offense.

Poolboy5623
02-17-2013, 01:00 AM
How about this scenario...would you trade kawhi if you knew it would get #5...and smith still walks for bigger $$ next year?...I'd definitely be on board.

BatManu20
02-17-2013, 01:04 AM
How about this scenario...would you trade kawhi if you knew it would get #5...and smith still walks for bigger $$ next year?...I'd definitely be on board.

Umm... no.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-17-2013, 01:05 AM

come on man, the idea is to trade sjax and a 1st. my speculation is based on adding green and blair.