PDA

View Full Version : Duncan, Ginobili and Parker will play against Cavs (Update: Splitter in, Jackson out)

jeebus
02-13-2013, 11:03 AM
are all playing tonight

capek
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Awwwww Shiiiiiiitt!

JMac with the scoop on something? :wow

benefactor
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Cue the "meaningless game" meltdown.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Surprising. I was certain that Tim and Manu weren't going to play until after the break.

jeebus
02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Awwwww Shiiiiiiitt!

JMac with the scoop on something? :wow
Yes, if by scoop you mean he heard it from Pop :lol

jon123spurs
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh shit things about to go down tonight.

look_at_g_shred
02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Oh shit things about to go down tonight.

Hopefully not one of the big three...

bklynspursfan
02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Surprising. I was certain that Tim and Manu weren't going to play until after the break.

+1... It'll be good to get them some run. Guess it means Timmy will be in the all star game, I was certain someone would be replacing him.

Bong
02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
any news if SJax going to play or still out because of personal reasons? or maybe his personal reason is his going to be traded before the deadline that was why he left team before the bulls game hehehehe just doing some conspiracy theory:downspin:

Dex
02-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Tim, I'm not so surprised. Indications were that he "wants" to participate in the All-Star Game. Pretty sure there is no formal rule about it, but would be weird to sit the game before the ASG, then play in it.

Manu, on the other hand, could've gotten another week of rest by sitting tonight, and doesn't have to worry about participating in any of the All-Star activities. They must be pretty confident that his hamstring is fine if they are willing to give him some run tonight.

benefactor
02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
+1... It'll be good to get them some run. Guess it means Timmy will be in the all star game, I was certain someone would be replacing him.
That's the only thing that seems to make sense. To make the injury charade look legit, Pop is going to let them play tonight to show that they are healthy enough to participate in All-Star activities.

timtonymanu
02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Surprising but good news!

Now all we need is Amused to start the game thread and the greys will start hyperventilating.

rmt
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Why vs a team like Cleveland? Why not wait until after the ASB and get more rest/make sure they're healed.

Dex

Now all we need is Amused to start the game thread and the greys will start hyperventilating.

:lol

freetiago
inb4 ginobili breaks his arm going through a thompson screen

Mel_13
Tim, I'm not so surprised. Indications were that he "wants" to participate in the All-Star Game. Pretty sure there is no formal rule about it, but would be weird to sit the game before the ASG, then play in it.

Manu, on the other hand, could've gotten another week of rest by sitting tonight, and doesn't have to worry about participating in any of the All-Star activities. They must be pretty confident that his hamstring is fine if they are willing to give him some run tonight.

That all makes sense.

Mugen
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Meh, I would have rather Tim/Manu had an additional week off. I'm guessing Tim/Manu lobbied hard to play tonight and Pop conceded.

Hopefully, there's no injuries. It's not exactly a "meaningless" game but a road game against the lowly Cavs right before All Start Weekend is pretty f'n close IMO.

capek
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Yes, if by scoop you mean he heard it from Pop :lol

For JMac that counts as a scoop. :lol

Glad to see everyone (SJax?) back. Curious to see what kind of touches Kawhi gets tonight.

jeebus
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
For JMac that counts as a scoop. :lol

Glad to see everyone (SJax?) back. Curious to see what kind of touches Kawhi gets tonight.
Jack still out with personal reasons. Elliott gonna play instead.

timtonymanu
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Jack is still out. Guess he really had personal business.

capek
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Jack still out with personal reasons. Elliott gonna play instead.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Fireball
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Great news ... hopefully only limited minutes are necessary ... injuries can happen in any game ... meaningless or not

Mugen
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Sucks for the Cavs tbh :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
02-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Do you think it's possible Pop is playing TD so he can play in the AS game? I assume if Duncan missed tonight's game he wouldn't be eligible for the all star game.

ontheraise
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
fck Why doesn't he wait until after the allstar break

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Do you think it's possible Pop is playing TD so he can play in the AS game? I assume if Duncan missed tonight's game he wouldn't be eligible for the all star game.

bklynspursfan and Dex both suggested that earlier. It certainly would be strange to have Tim make his first appearance since the injury in an exhibition game.

Russ
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Jack is still out. Guess he really had personal business.

Maybe they just don't want him to be injured.

Maybe that might risk something.

loveforthegame
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Surprising but most welcomed news. :tu

Bruno
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Good news. :tu

I guess if they were even the slightest risk of a re-injury, Pop would have waited after the all star game.

The way overused cliche of "it's a trap game" will really apply for this game. Cavs have some talent and Spurs could take it easy with everybody back.

Bruno
02-13-2013, 11:35 AM
And regarding Jack, there is likely something wrong in his family when you see his instagram:
http://instagram.com/p/VpAz6LRf0B/

I hope it isn't too bad.

Mugen
02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Hope everything is okay w/ Jack.

loveforthegame
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Prayers for Jack. Hope all turns out well.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Meh, I would have rather Tim/Manu had an additional week off. I'm guessing Tim/Manu lobbied hard to play tonight and Pop conceded.

Hopefully, there's no injuries. It's not exactly a "meaningless" game but a road game against the lowly Cavs right before All Start Weekend is pretty f'n close IMO.

I'm in the same boat, I was hoping Tim rested until after the ASB, but if he thinks he's fine oh well..

spurraider21
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
fck Why doesn't he wait until after the allstar break
seriously. because its physically impossible to get injured AFTER the all star break!
ugh i hate how our team is NEVER cautious with injuries its a complete joke

Amuseddaysleeper
02-13-2013, 11:45 AM

:lol

Did the past two game blogs and we were 2-0. Cleveland sounds good to me!

Andthentherewas21
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't really get the reasoning behind people wanting to sit Duncan and Manu so they can get more rest, with the caveat that both are completely healthy. At this point it has been close, if not more, than 3 weeks since Duncan played a full game. Its not like another week of rest is going to be beneficial. In fact his conditioning is going to start to suffer if it hasn't already. Better to give him limited minutes in a game the Spurs should be able to win without him to give him some burn, try out his ankle and knee to make sure everything is 100%, and then if there are lingering effects he has the ASB to rest up and proceed with caution (not like he is going to be playing major minutes in it with Pop as the WC coach). Same thing with Manu sans the ASG.

There's a point when sitting guys out for rest has diminishing returns, and given Pop is probably going to do something similar at the end of the season unless the Spurs are fighting for playoff seeding, it doesn't make sense to just keep them on the bench for fear of injury. Freak shit happens, ask the Celtics who can't seem to find a guard that can keep their ACLs intact.

NASpurs
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't really get the reasoning behind people wanting to sit Duncan and Manu so they can get more rest, with the caveat that both are completely healthy. At this point it has been close, if not more, than 3 weeks since Duncan played a full game. Its not like another week of rest is going to be beneficial. In fact his conditioning is going to start to suffer if it hasn't already. Better to give him limited minutes in a game the Spurs should be able to win without him to give him some burn, try out his ankle and knee to make sure everything is 100%, and then if there are lingering effects he has the ASB to rest up and proceed with caution (not like he is going to be playing major minutes in it with Pop as the WC coach). Same thing with Manu sans the ASG.

There's a point when sitting guys out for rest has diminishing returns, and given Pop is probably going to do something similar at the end of the season unless the Spurs are fighting for playoff seeding, it doesn't make sense to just keep them on the bench for fear of injury. Freak shit happens, ask the Celtics who can't seem to find a guard that can keep their ACLs intact.

I think it's some weird superstition some people have assuming that they'll get hurt tonight in a meaningless game before the break. They have their "I told you so" already typed out if something like that happens.

Mayhem321
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Will Splitter play? He had that ankle injury in the Bulls game.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Will Splitter play? He had that ankle injury in the Bulls game.

He said he would play.

PingPong
02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
So, the big three are back and they lose to the f*n Cavs. Just kidding...

Fabbs
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't really get the reasoning behind people wanting to sit Duncan and Manu so they can get more rest, with the caveat that both are completely healthy. Its not like another week of rest is going to be beneficial. In fact his conditioning is going to start to suffer if it hasn't already. Better to give him limited minutes in a game the Spurs should be able to win without him to give him some burn, try out his ankle and knee to make sure everything is 100%, and then if there are lingering effects he has the ASB to rest up and proceed with caution (not like he is going to be playing major minutes in it with Pop as the WC coach). Same thing with Manu sans the ASG.

Exercise bikes, ellipticals, swimming pools.
How in the _ _ _ _ can you lose conditioning? As if basketball is the only way to condition?

CIA Poops uber foolishly fighting for best record in the NBA when the Spurs already had #1 in the West locked up was moronic.
82nd game of the regular season and GNob gets his elbow rejacked.
Out vs Memphis in the playoff opener.
Spurs worked in Game 1 as Pop tried to counter Lionel Hollins with Matty Bonner and soft ass (at that time) Parker.

crc21209
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
It'll be great to see the Big 3 back on the court all at the same time. :tu Prayers go out to Jack, hope everything turns out OK..

jjktkk
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Exercise bikes, ellipticals, swimming pools.
How in the _ _ _ _ can you lose conditioning? As if basketball is the only way to condition?

CIA Poops uber foolishly fighting for best record in the NBA when the Spurs already had #1 in the West locked up was moronic.
82nd game of the regular season and GNob gets his elbow rejacked.
Out vs Memphis in the playoff opener.
Spurs worked in Game 1 as Pop tried to counter Lionel Hollins with Matty Bonner and soft ass (at that time) Parker.

Vaginal cramping can lead to thoughtless posting. Try posting in one of your trolls instead.

loveforthegame
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Pop wouldn't fool around with the health of the big 3. No way they would play unless they were all healthy.

Fabbs
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Vaginal cramping can lead to my Midol purchases. Try posting in one of your trolls instead.
:rollin That's right. The Memphis Round 1 ouster led to your helping organize one of the spiciest PollyAnna Poppers parties eva.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM

I guess you didn't see the Tim Duncan injury - if you don't want him to get as much rest as possible after that you're nuts and a little selfish.

Embedded
02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I was worried about rust, etc. Almost seems cruel if they are healthy enough to play to make them wait another week. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, that kind of thing.

ace3g
02-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Parker and Pop shootaround vids:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/02/13/130213parkershootmov-2385153

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/02/13/130213popshootmov-2385149

jjktkk
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
:rollin That's right. The Memphis Round 1 ouster led to your helping organize one of the spiciest PollyAnna Poppers parties eva.

Post more please. Your a true gem.

Russ
02-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Pop tuning Duncan up for a big performance in the ASG?

Fabbs
02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Post more please. Your a true gem.
I've got schtikk on the line.

timvp
02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't disagree with the move. Ginobili has been begging to play since the start of the Rodeo Road Trip. Duncan has said he's been ready since after the first game. Parker could have played last game. It's not like Pop is rushing his guys back; he has already sat the three more than any other coach in the NBA would have done in the exact situation. At this point, it's probably worth it to play them just to regain some sharpness, conditioning and confidence before the break.

I know some Spurs fans want the Big 3 encased in bubble wrap until the playoffs arrive but it just doesn't work like that. As it is, Pop takes care of his players more than any coach in NBA history, AFIAK. Tough to hold him to a higher standard than that.

atoyotagaspedal
02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Stern gave them a warning obviously, so they have to play.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't even remember what Manu looks like anymore

Fabbs
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
April 14th, 2011

PHOENIX -- Manu Ginobili hyperextended his right elbow early in San Antonio's regular season finale against the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night.
Ginobili was hurt with 9:46 left in the first quarter when he slid to the floor near the free throw line and the Suns' Grant Hill fell on top of him.
He went to the locker room holding the arm and grimacing in pain. The Spurs said X-rays were negative for a more serious injury.

He is scheduled to have an MRI on Thursday in San Antonio.

Ginobili missed two games this season, only one with an injury. With San Antonio already clinching the best record in the West, Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker sat out the Spurs' 102-93 loss to the Lakers in Los Angeles on Tuesday night.

All three were back in the lineup against Phoenix.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6349705

boutons_deux
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
So, the big three are back and they lose to the f*n Cavs. Just kidding...

yep, sure thing. or seriously struggle and win by a (Ginobili) nose

Brunodf
02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
:danceclub:chestbump:tu

txstr1986
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Isn't he the big Australian guy?

capek
02-13-2013, 01:44 PM

I remember he's bald and has a giant nose, but other than that it's all indistinct in my mind as well. :blah

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Really, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili shouldn't play any regular season games ever again.

Just save them up for the playoffs and tell them to keep up their conditioning on the side.

That's a time-tested formula for winning titles.

Whisky Dog
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Obviously Pop thinks they've been out for enough time, and you definitely don't want to make them sit another week and lose game shape if you don't have to. There's also the role players like Kawhi and Splitter who have been logging more time and been leaned on more for production than they're used to. Don't want to over exert them and put them on the shelf.

I don't think anyone plays a ton of minutes tonight. Just enough to keep some form.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Dirk's play this season is probably the clearest proof that aging players pick up right where they left off after long breaks and that playing shape can be maintained with time on the elliptical and in swimming pools.

Then again, maybe Dirk's problem is an aversion to exercise bikes.

Dex
02-13-2013, 01:56 PM

http://www.lyric.ie/dynamicdata/ProductImages/small/Cue%20Ball%20400.JPG

jjktkk
02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
April 14th, 2011

PHOENIX -- Manu Ginobili hyperextended his right elbow early in San Antonio's regular season finale against the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night.
Ginobili was hurt with 9:46 left in the first quarter when he slid to the floor near the free throw line and the Suns' Grant Hill fell on top of him.
He went to the locker room holding the arm and grimacing in pain. The Spurs said X-rays were negative for a more serious injury.

He is scheduled to have an MRI on Thursday in San Antonio.

Ginobili missed two games this season, only one with an injury. With San Antonio already clinching the best record in the West, Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker sat out the Spurs' 102-93 loss to the Lakers in Los Angeles on Tuesday night.

All three were back in the lineup against Phoenix.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6349705

99.03.05.07. :pop:

Andthentherewas21
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
I guess you didn't see the Tim Duncan injury - if you don't want him to get as much rest as possible after that you're nuts and a little selfish.

You mean the one where a 76er fell on him.

Your right to avoid these future types of injuries we should sit Duncan out whenever there is the possibility of an opposing player falling on him. Well crap it looks like there are going to be opposing players on the court for every game the rest of the season. Shit! and the playoffs. Well maybe next season.

If he's 100% right now, which he claims and has claimed for the past few games, then there is no point in resting him. Its taking him out of rhythm and game shape. And I don't know how it would be selfish of me to want him to play. I'm not going to the game, and chances are I won't be able to watch it.

Dex
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Wow, pretty sure that font color just gave me an aneurism.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 02:11 PM
You mean the one where a 76er fell on him.

Your right to avoid these future types of injuries we should sit Duncan out whenever there is the possibility of an opposing player falling on him. Well crap it looks like there are going to be opposing players on the court for every game the rest of the season. Shit! and the playoffs. Well maybe next season.

If he's 100% right now, which he claims and has claimed for the past few games, then there is no point in resting him. Its taking him out of rhythm and game shape. And I don't know how it would be selfish of me to want him to play. I'm not going to the game, and chances are I won't be able to watch it.

Are you serious? Cause you used the wrong shade of sarcastic blue.. The point of my comment was not to say we need him to sit so he avoids injury; the purpose of him sitting longer would be to heal the knee. How did you not understand that?

Can you please post the link(s) to the quote(s) where he said he was 100% the last few games? Thanks :tu

TampaDude
02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
And regarding Jack, there is likely something wrong in his family when you see his instagram:
http://instagram.com/p/VpAz6LRf0B/

I hope it isn't too bad.

Death of a family member or close friend?

Andthentherewas21
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Are you serious? Cause you used the wrong shade of sarcastic blue.. The point of my comment was not to say we need him to sit so he avoids injury; the purpose of him sitting longer would be to heal the knee. How did you not understand that?

Can you please post the link(s) to the quote(s) where he said he was 100% the last few games? Thanks :tu

In my original post I said with the caveat they are completely health. How do you not understand that? I'm not saying rush them back if they aren't healthy. His knee didn't have any structural damage meaning it was a 1st degree sprain.

"A first-degree injury stretches the ligament or muscle tendon unit, but does not cause significant structural damage or weakness. First-degree sprains are characterized by minimal swelling (edema), localized pain and tenderness, and no marked instability. The individual with first-degree sprains may perform activities within the limits of pain tolerance without causing further damage to the knee."http://www.mdguidelines.com/sprains-and-strains-knee

Check McDonald's twitter feed, the shoot-arounds, and everything else with Tim and Manu trying to get back on the court the last few games.

Its not like I'm calling for them to force Duncan out there while hes on crutches. If he feels like he can play, let him try it out and if it feels like something isn't right he can tell Pop and head to the bench.

buttsR4rebounding
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Why on Earth would you make that assumption. The NBA wants to showcase their best. Do you think if Harden wasn't able to come back in the game after he sprained his ankle last night that the NBA wouldn't open their arms to him for the ASG?

Andthentherewas21
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow, pretty sure that font color just gave me an aneurism.

Generally I do the blue font by the ridiculousness of the sarcasm, but for the sake of your health I've switched it.

Dex
02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Generally I do the blue font by the ridiculousness of the sarcasm, but for the sake of your health I've switched it.

My brain thanks you.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't disagree with the move. Ginobili has been begging to play since the start of the Rodeo Road Trip. Duncan has said he's been ready since after the first game. Parker could have played last game. It's not like Pop is rushing his guys back; he has already sat the three more than any other coach in the NBA would have done in the exact situation. At this point, it's probably worth it to play them just to regain some sharpness, conditioning and confidence before the break.

I know some Spurs fans want the Big 3 encased in bubble wrap until the playoffs arrive but it just doesn't work like that. As it is, Pop takes care of his players more than any coach in NBA history, AFIAK. Tough to hold him to a higher standard than that.

I'm not sure there was anyone wanting them to sit more than I was wanting them to, and it's worked out so that they almost got as much rest as I'd hoped. This is enough rest. Timmy's going to Houston, and having a game to play is a good idea, and Pop deserves a medal for being able to hide Manu's shoes for this long.

dbreiden83080
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Maybe Tim really feels he needs to get the minutes in. They can't treat him with kid gloves forever and he has had loads of time off..

Mal
02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
any news if SJax going to play or still out because of personal reasons? or maybe his personal reason is his going to be traded before the deadline that was why he left team before the bulls game hehehehe just doing some conspiracy theory:downspin:

But Jackson as a player has no value. He is an fat expiring contract. It doesnt matter if he is healthy or on wheelchair.

Reasoning after him being away must be true, whatever it is.

ontheraise
02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
seriously. because its physically impossible to get injured AFTER the all star break!

Are you dumb?? seriously, Where in my sentence can you find anything implying what's you just said. I said let rest them until we are 200% sure they are 120% ready. and we don't need tim and manu to beat clevland no need to take risk against this shitty team.

EVAY
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Ginobil, more than Tim or Tony, needs playing time to establish his rhythm. Having said that, I have no clue what one game before another week off is supposed to do to help his rhythm, but I guess he is really getting pissy with Pop. He is reported to have been super-sarcastic about not being able to play in the last game.

ThePop
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/01/Manu-Ginobili-20120104-306x337.jpg

spurraider21
02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Are you dumb?? seriously, Where in my sentence can you find anything implying what's you just said. I said let rest them until we are 200% sure they are 120% ready. and we don't need tim and manu to beat clevland no need to take risk against this shitty team.
The point I made in the next sentence is that our staff is notorious for being overly cautious with injuries, often times going overboard with the bubble wrap treatment. With that in mind, if they're letting the big 3 play, I'm going to trust that they truly ARE 110% ready to go.

DPG21920
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I am fine with the decision but what's really funny to me is that regardless of the decision, most everyone would have said "I agree with it, and here's why" :lol

TMTTRIO
02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I would rest Timmy and let him get prepared for the AS game. Manu needs to play. As we know it takes him about a month to get his conditioning and rhythm back in order. At this point he'll be getting into some rhythm by the time the playoffs comes around. You can't bubble wrap him anymore. Fortunately if he gets injured again (knock on wood) we have enough talent to continue to win without him.

Fabbs
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Andthentherewas21
Check McDonald's twitter feed, the shoot-arounds, and everything else with Tim and Manu trying to get back on the court the last few games.
Was this supposed to be your providing posted links?

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Andthentherewas21
Was this supposed to be your providing posted links?

Apparently so.. :downspin:

Arcadian
02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Great news. Those guys need to play.

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/01/Manu-Ginobili-20120104-306x337.jpg

that's clearly Gary Neal

skulls138
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Why vs a team like Cleveland? Why not wait until after the ASB and get more rest/make sure they're healed.I agree. Theres a slew of easy games coming up after the break they can get their rhythm back with. Except the Clippers.