PDA

View Full Version : If Nando..

look_at_g_shred
02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Plays the way he played against the Bulls, I think he should be the permanent back up PG. He controlled the tempo very well, and made everyone esentially better by making the right pass. When he was on the court, our offense looked so smooth. The passing was contagious. This allowed Neal to play his normal position, and we saw the Gary that we've come to know and love (well, some of us at least). What do you guys think?

bigfan
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree with you on this.

Bong
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Plays the way he played against the Bulls, I think he should be the permanent back up PG. He controlled the tempo very well, and made everyone esentially better by making the right pass. When he was on the court, our offense looked so smooth. The passing was contagious. This allowed Neal to play his normal position, and we saw the Gary that we've come to know and love (well, some of us at least). What do you guys think?

:toast

Dex
02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
I think Gary Neal should never play the backup point again (barring injuries or extreme circumstances), that's what I think.

I'm not sure how many times Pop needs to watch that experiment fail before he realizes this.

capek
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Been arguing for De Colo to be given the full back up PG spot since early December. Glad that it looks like it's finally happening.

Fireball
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Hopefully he gets constant minutes as the 2nd PG ... but I do not think that it is a coincedence that he had his best games playing together with the starters who are not part of the Big 3.

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM

1. If we're talking about backup PG without adult supervision (Manu), then Nando has shown himself to be the best choice for the job.

2. If we're talking about the playoffs with a healthy team, then it's not so clear. Tony will play about 38 minutes; so now we're talking about which guy works best paired with Manu for the 5 minutes each half that Tony sits. The case for Neal or Mills is much more persuasive in that scenario. Personally, I like Mills in that role, especially against a quick backup PG for the opposition.

Brazil
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
1. If we're talking about backup PG without adult supervision (Manu), then Nando has shown himself to be the best choice for the job.

2. If we're talking about the playoffs with a healthy team, then it's not so clear. Tony will play about 38 minutes; so now we're talking about which guy works best paired with Manu for the 5 minutes each half that Tony sits. The case for Neal or Mills is much more persuasive in that scenario. Personally, I like Mills in that role, especially against a quick backup PG for the opposition.

I agree with that. Problem with Nando is that he is not the kind of guy giving you instant production in limited minutes. He is so much more comfortable starting or with significant minutes and in POs it won't happen.

MR-Clutch
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
If he could hit the spot up 3 consistently, I would feel more comfortable with him playing with Manu off the bench.

Spur|n|Austin
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
If he could hit the spot up 3 consistently, I would feel more comfortable with him playing with Manu off the bench.

I don't even think we need that much from him, we simply need him to play like he did against the Bulls; with confidence, poise, and control. The scoring is just a bonus.

romain.star
02-13-2013, 01:08 PM

same has been said after the Heat game... de Colo needs to deliver with limited minutes from the Bench, a thing he has not done so far

spurraider21
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I sill think in the end it's best to have Neal out there alongside Manu, who is the de facto backup point guard

maverick1948
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I like de Colo's game. What Pop needs to do is keep the rotation he has set for the bigs. Bringing in Diaw for Splitter about 5 to 6 minutes in the 1st and bringing him back for Timmy at the 2 min mark. What I would hope Pop would do is in De Colo with Splitter and have him on the court with Manu, Diaw, Splitter and either Kawhi or Green. That would give him a comfort level he could enjoy and would allow TP to have a LONG rest before 2nd quarter.

DapDaGenius
02-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I agree. I wasn't really liking De Colo until that game. He really made the team shine. He showed he belongs here. He was aggressive as well. He'll get used to being aggressive without drawing as many fouls, eventually.

Captivus
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
I like Nando, but he has to be more Parker and less Rondo...(Im not explaining that...).
I dont think the scoring is a bonus, he has to attack the basket more, like they say, keep the defense honest.

Brunodf
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Decolo needs good players around him, not Bonner/Blair.

txstr1986
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I like Nando, but he has to be more Parker and less Rondo...(Im not explaining that...).
I dont think the scoring is a bonus, he has to attack the basket more, like they say, keep the defense honest.

This.

I don't think Nando has to score to be effective, but if he can at least hit the spot up 3 or finish a layup with some regularity it will help keep defenses honest and allow his distribution skills to shine. It's like watching Rubio - that kid would be really good if he could just knock down an open shot every now and then instead of letting defenses sag off him and play passing lanes.

capek
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM

It's hard not to agree about Neal because he's proven he can come in and start hitting shots right away. But Mills has had his opportunities and he's basically been a big O'fer with his shot this season. Unless/until Mills is able to figure out how to come in and start hitting shots right away, his usefulness on this team is very limited, as long as Neal is here.

On the other hand, De Colo's court vision makes him very useful in running the multiple sets per play that is the hallmark of this Spur's offense. The question with him will be, can he develop his confidence enough from games like against Chicago where he gets big minutes, so that he can carry over that confidence for when our full roster is back and his minutes get cut. He played well against Chicago, but he can play better. So will he be able to play well in ~15 minutes a game? I think a confident NDC can do that. And I actually think a confident NDC can help Ginobili with the second unit, as his court vision and general trickiness will force the opposing team to take some focus off of Manu, freeing him up a little to be the wrecking ball he so excels at being.

hooperflash
02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I hope NDC continues to play well when he gets minutes so that Pop can feel more comfortable in giving NDC permanent backup duties.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think his preference of scoring/passing is relevant to his success, it's simply a matter of remaining aggressive..his aggression level has been noticeably different when he is forced to play an increased role, he needs to translate that aggression to his bench role..

superbigtime
02-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Nando looked really good vs Bulls.

Whisky Dog
02-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Of course he's be the full time backup if he played that way on an even somewhat consistent basis. He'd be a damn starter somewhere else if he did it consistently.

The problem is he hasn't been consistent. So your scenario includes a huge "if" that hasn't happened yet.

Embedded
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I agree, I liked his game. Mr. de Colo seems to be a player that needs minutes to find a rhythm, unlike Mr. Ginobili that can just turn it on at will.

benstanfield
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
1. Start Green on opposing team's SG.

2. Sub in Manu for the end of the 1st, much of the second.

3. When Manu needs a break, if the team needs defense, sub in Green. If the team needs offense, sub in Neal.

4. Repeat step 3 until about 4:00 to go in the fourth, then sub Manu in.

Gary Neal's role on this team should be to give us flexibility when Manu is out. I'm all for giving De Colo Gary's minutes at PG, or giving Mills a shot that lasts longer than one or two games. Anyone who can consistently not be Gary Neal at PG.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't want Neal at the point ever again. He dominates the ball as it is. Against the Bulls in the fourth he tried to 'take over' but instead 'chucked over.' I was vociferous and oh so pleased when Popovich yanked him.

What Nando has going for him over both Mills and Neal is his defense. That more than anything is why I think he will see minutes in the playoffs. Mills cannot fight through picks and Neal cannot stay in front of good NBA point guards. De Colo has show the ability to do a little of both.

playblair
02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
cojo provides better defense ....................

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
... is consistently given 8th man rotation minutes. the spurs will have a well tested playoff rotation.

some of us in here already know. nando is the dream backup guard. he's manu 2.0. he plays great as, or with, manu. it's just taking time for all of us to finally see it. too bad we don't have a timmy 2.0. although splitter/leonard as a combo is pretty close.

nando, manu, boris = beautiful bench basketball. they complete a contender level 8 man rotation. kawhi, splitter, and green can share extra minutes filling them out. they're the youngest starters and they improve beautiful bench basketball in it's weakest categories... defense and rebounding.

btw i'm not sweating rebounding as a major problem for this team. timmy is hurt. diaw is serviceable. the bonner/blair problem is addressed, by the addition of baynes. and fixed once baynes catches on. i'd bet manu and kawhi average high rebs for guards. the offense shoots well. and the defends forces low %s. so like they say in poker, the spurs have plenty outs.

i love nando. that bulls game was fun to watch. was anybody at the pre-season hawks game? that was an incredible nando night.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
my three dots picks up from the thread title not from playblair.

therealtruth
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Give the DeColo the backup PG spot and start Manu.

waisman
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Colo is more PG than neal & mils .
But , ...

If ginobili came back , Buckup PG is neal