PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need to pull a Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed trade again

spursmartyr
02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Problem is the turd's salary is too low this time around... :(

crc21209
02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
The big difference is that Malik might be 10X's the player that Blair is......

racm
02-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Like being great at FTs... Didn't he shoot technical FTs at one point?

That said who'd be the Nazr? The real one is so bad in Chicago

letmk
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Malik can defend Shaq for a while, while Blair can't guard nobody. That alone says a lot.

Shifty
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
That said who'd be the Nazr? The real one is so bad in Chicago
Almost any of the Bucks' bigs would fit.

freetiago
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Ekpe Udoh tbh
fallen out of the rotation
if they deal Dalmerbert then Udoh probably gets bigger but still not much minutes
they like Sanders/ilyasova/Henson and i do too
beastly frontline once they start gelling and improving their game

spursmartyr
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I just want to trade Turd for a decent big who can guard the paint, I don't care if said big can score outside of 5 feet.

also, I lol'd at the memories of Malik guarding Shaq. The Lakers' biggest comebacks against the Spurs in the early century era were with Rose or Samaki Walker on Shaq. Once the Spurs lost the lead for good Pop finally got smart enough to put Tim/David back on Shaq but it was always too late.

spursmartyr
02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Heck, I'll take Samuel Dalembert as long as we don't have to include our 2nd most cold blooded playoff shooter in the deal. Dalembert led the league in shot blocking a few years ago.

racm
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Almost any of the Bucks' bigs would fit.

Even Drew Gooden?

spursmartyr
02-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Even Drew Gooden?

although I slept through the 2009 season, I do recall him not being able to guard a brick

LittleCriminal
02-13-2013, 10:08 PM
#45 for Blatche works!!

Shifty
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Even Drew Gooden?
I said ALMOST... :rolleyes

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Duncan/Splitter/Diaw will receive virtually all of the minutes at the big positions, complimented by Kawhi/Jackson playing small ball..

The 4th big is largely irrelevant for the playoffs, tbh..

Mel_13
02-13-2013, 10:27 PM
50 yr old Nazr might be the best they'll get for Blair.

crc21209
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Duncan/Splitter/Diaw will receive virtually all of the minutes at the big positions, complimented by Kawhi/Jackson playing small ball..

This ^^^. Although it would be nice to have a quality 4th big just in case...

freetiago
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Diaw isnt a big
hes a small forward
plays his best at small forward and you never know what you get with him
rather have a big who has a bigman game

ChumpDumper
02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
More quality takes.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 11:24 PM
i like the claver rumor

timvp
02-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Rose was a damn good defender. He could defend everyone from Dirk to Shaq, plus he was great at defending pick-and-rolls.

Outside of Robinson, Prime Rose is probably the best big Duncan ever played with, tbh.

DJR210
02-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I thought the Baynes signing was the same type of move Pop made in bringing in Nazr that year? Of course Nazr stepped right in and got some PT, but wasn't he supposed to be the last big on the depth chart that year?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 11:29 PM
tobias harris would be my idea of a good target from the bucks.

DJR210
02-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Rose was a damn good defender. He could defend everyone from Dirk to Shaq, plus he was great at defending pick-and-rolls.

Outside of Robinson, Prime Rose is probably the best big Duncan ever played with, tbh. This. His midrange jumper was deadly in his final year with us also. It's the same spot Blair has been shooting from lately..

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 11:36 PM
This. His midrange jumper was deadly in his final year with us also. It's the same spot Blair has been shooting from lately..

i don't think that's true. splitter is darn good. robert horry was really good. i think it's sad that there isn't a clearer answer. i've always been frustrated at the spurs about that.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-13-2013, 11:36 PM
oops i meant to quote timvp

baseline bum
02-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Problem is the turd's salary is too low this time around... :(

Then throw Ginger in too.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2013, 11:40 PM
i don't think that's true. splitter is darn good. robert horry was really good. i think it's sad that there isn't a clearer answer. i've always been frustrated at the spurs about that.There have definitely been good defenders (those you mentioned, also Thomas and Nesterovic against the big boys), but I think Malik was the most versatile of the bunch which might give him the edge..

baseline bum
02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
50 yr old Nazr might be the best they'll get for Blair.

Truth. Kahn is the closest thing the league has to prime Isiah, but I don't think even he would make one of those moves.

letmk
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
I just want to trade Turd for a decent big who can guard the paint, I don't care if said big can score outside of 5 feet.

also, I lol'd at the memories of Malik guarding Shaq. The Lakers' biggest comebacks against the Spurs in the early century era were with Rose or Samaki Walker on Shaq. Once the Spurs lost the lead for good Pop finally got smart enough to put Tim/David back on Shaq but it was always too late.

When Shaq was in his prime, even Dream and Mutombo could not guard him well. For example, everybody knows that Shaq's Magic got swept by the Rockets in 1995 Finals, but Shaq's individual performance is not bad at all.

What Malik did against Shaq defensively is more than decent. Can you imagine Blair does it for even one second?

baseline bum
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Outside of Robinson, Prime Rose is probably the best big Duncan ever played with, tbh.

Too bad that prime had to end so early though, thanks to the 6'5 PF not named Barkley curse.

DAF86
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM

If you have the chance to get Smith for let's say Jackson, Blair and a draft pick? Wouldn't you do it?

Capt Bringdown
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM
This. His midrange jumper was deadly in his final year with us also. It's the same spot Blair has been shooting from lately..

??? I seem to recall that Rose bricked his way off the team, and it was this propensity to be a black hole on offense that made him expendable. After Rose got the big-money he forgot what we loved him for and imagined himself the second-coming of Bernard King.

Both Rose and Blair never met a shot or pump fake they didn't like.

DJR210
02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
??? I seem to recall that Rose bricked his way off the team, and it was this propensity to be a black hole on offense that made him expendable. After Rose got the big-money he forgot what we loved him for and imagined himself the second-coming of Bernard King.

Both Rose and Blair never met a shot or pump fake they didn't like.

I don't recall the bricks that year honestly. I remember getting pissed at Nazr because his hands were so bad if anything.

TwoHandJam
02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't know. I have mixed emotions about Rose - a real love/hate relationship. You had to love his heart and grit as he truly was a blue collar player. He also tried hard to improve at least one part of his game year after year. I'll never forget his dunk on Mutombo. Classic.

What bugged me most about him was his relatively low bball iq. He could commit turnovers that were just maddening. At times he could look like a genius and other times it was as if he'd never played before. Overall though he was a good role player.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2013, 11:57 PM
If you have the chance to get Smith for let's say Jackson, Blair and a draft pick? Wouldn't you do it?Well sure, but he wouldn't be the fourth big. He'd probably be replacing Jackson and maybe Diaw.

DJR210
02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't know. I have mixed emotions about Rose - a real love/hate relationship. You had to love his heart and grit as he truly was a blue collar player. He also tried hard to improve at least one part of his game year after year. I'll never forget his dunk on Mutombo. Classic.

What bugged me most about him was his relatively low bball iq. He could commit turnovers that were just maddening. At times he could look like a genius and other times it was as if he'd never played before. Overall though he was a good role player.

That was one ugly sum' bitch in 97-98, that's for damn sure.

spursmartyr
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM

If anything, Tiago/Robert >> Leaky, although Rose had a solid year in 2003 (I'll never forget his 34 point game @ Milwaukee in a wild comeback win to end their multi-year curse on us) he always tended to get outshined in the playoffs. The dunk over Mutombo was pretty nasty, though, I'll admit.

spursmartyr
02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
If you have the chance to get Smith for let's say Jackson, Blair and a draft pick? Wouldn't you do it?

Josh Smith would make Terri Schiavo look like a basketball genius. And he isn't a big. So no.

When Shaq was in his prime, even Dream and Mutombo could not guard him well. For example, everybody knows that Shaq's Magic got swept by the Rockets in 1995 Finals, but Shaq's individual performance is not bad at all.

What Malik did against Shaq defensively is more than decent. Can you imagine Blair does it for even one second?
Dream was like 40 when Shaq was in his prime... Mutombo nearly so. Of course Blair would get squashed, but it might actually be funny.

DAF86
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Josh Smith would make Terri Schiavo look like a basketball genius. And he isn't a big. So no.

A 6'9'' guy averaging 8.6 rbds and 2.1 blks per game is bigger than anything we have besides Duncan and Splitter.

letmk
02-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Dream was like 40 when Shaq was in his prime... Mutombo nearly so. Of course Blair would get squashed, but it might actually be funny.

Exactly you prove my point. Shaq was not yet in his prime in 1995, and Dream was in his own prime, still Shaq got 28.5 pts/22.5 rbs/59.5% FG in that Finals.
^^^

Edit: 12.5 rbs

I'm not saying Malik was a Shaq stopper or whatever, but that he can let Tim/David take a breath off Shaq is quite valuable to the team.

timvp
02-14-2013, 12:18 AM
If anything, Tiago/Robert >> Leaky, although Rose had a solid year in 2003 (I'll never forget his 34 point game @ Milwaukee in a wild comeback win to end their multi-year curse on us) he always tended to get outshined in the playoffs. The dunk over Mutombo was pretty nasty, though, I'll admit.

He had some huge games in the playoffs, tbh. Off the top of my head:

-Game 2 against the Lakers in 1999. I'm not sure the Spurs win that without him.

-Basically the entire series against the Suns in 2003. It was especially important because Robinson missed part of the series due to injury and Willis got suspended for a game. In the must-win Game 5, Rose was the best player on the court.

-Game 2 against Dallas he was great. He got KO'ed in Game 1, literally, comes back with a monster performance including amazing D on Dirk.

-In the famous Game 6 against the Mavs, he was a big part of the comeback.

-The Mutombo game in the Finals. That dunk and his overall performance changed the game.

Horry obviously had his great games but he spent so much of his Spurs career coasting that it's difficult to rate him too high. Splitter is on track and has a chance to pass Rose but it's not an easy task.

Russ
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
-Game 2 against the Lakers in 1999. I'm not sure the Spurs win that without him.

I'l never forget Rose fronting Shaq down low, leaning into him, grabbing him, and harassing the hell outta him.

One of the greatest gutsy peformances by a physically overmatched player ever. :flag:

timtonymanu
02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
This thread just reminded me about Malik Rose's exit interview in 05. It was so hard to watch. I felt so bad for him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
IIRC, Rose also had some big defensive performances against Shaq in the losing campaigns in 2001 and 2002. You had to see it to believe it, but he gave Shaq fits in many games.

Floyd Pacquiao
02-14-2013, 01:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83cWEZkVzk&feature=youtube_gdata_player:(

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2013, 01:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83cWEZkVzk&feature=youtube_gdata_player:(

"Keep pounding on that Rock."

hater
02-14-2013, 01:52 AM
How about we bring a malik back. What would it take to bring big baby

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 02:01 AM
Is Isiah Thomas back in the league?

Sean Cagney
02-14-2013, 03:24 AM

Yep, plus his grit and attitude! He was always playing all out when I saw him! I was glad he was with us during that 03 run, he was HUGE in most series then!

Sean Cagney
02-14-2013, 03:29 AM

-Basically the entire series against the Suns in 2003. It was especially important because Robinson missed part of the series due to injury and Willis got suspended for a game. In the must-win Game 5, Rose was the best player on the court.

-Game 2 against Dallas he was great. He got KO'ed in Game 1, literally, comes back with a monster performance including amazing D on Dirk.

-The Mutombo game in the Finals. That dunk and his overall performance changed the game.

Horry obviously had his great games but he spent so much of his Spurs career coasting that it's difficult to rate him too high. Splitter is on track and has a chance to pass Rose but it's not an easy task.

YEP, wake me the next time BONNER or Blair does anything near that there.

senorglory
02-14-2013, 03:44 AM
This thread just reminded me about Malik Rose's exit interview in 05. It was so hard to watch. I felt so bad for him.

I think he got paid thereafter, so, don't feel too bad.

Mal
02-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Well sure, but he wouldn't be the fourth big. He'd probably be replacing Jackson and maybe Diaw.

Diaw is staying here. And probably yes. Despite Smith is able to play PF, he would be on floor guarding Durant/LeBron while Leonard will be thrown at Wade/Westbrook, which would be awesome. Parker and Duncan playing with them, you still have flexibility to go small or big when necessary.

I`d would love to get Smith, but it must be cheap, meaning Leonard, Diaw, Splitter are no go in that trade. Throw everything else include picks, Lorbek`s rights, De Colo other non-relevant players and pray for Danny Ferry doing big favor towards Spurs.

sventhedog
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
blair played well for the last few games. they're clearly featuring him for the trade.

therealtruth
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
YEP, wake me the next time BONNER or Blair does anything near that there.

It's the ridiculous the front office up to this season though Bonner could be a contributor on a Title team.

Sean Cagney
02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
It's the ridiculous the front office up to this season though Bonner could be a contributor on a Title team.

I still don't know how lol, he failed in the playoffs yearly and still had idiot fans in here saying he is good and still got mins lol.

spursmartyr
02-15-2013, 12:14 AM

Against the Suns? Really? I wouldn't rate him too high in that series. The attitude change which finally ended the Spurs' season-long fear of the Suns was the key. IIRC Game 5 was a blowout win for us that the Suns made a little interesting late but not that interesting.

Against the Mavs, I'll give him Game 2, but it was that insane three point shooting streak of our guys (Jax, Manu, Kerr) beginning in the late third quarter that brought us back and won us that game (not to mention our defense). Rose was hardly involved.

The offense was so terrible in the Nets series that it's hard to gauge anything as the "catalyst" or "spark factor".

Sean Cagney
02-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Against the Suns? Really? I wouldn't rate him too high in that series. The attitude change which finally ended the Spurs' season-long fear of the Suns was the key. IIRC Game 5 was a blowout win for us that the Suns made a little interesting late but not that interesting.

Against the Mavs, I'll give him Game 2, but it was that insane three point shooting streak of our guys (Jax, Manu, Kerr) beginning in the late third quarter that brought us back and won us that game (not to mention our defense). Rose was hardly involved.

The offense was so terrible in the Nets series that it's hard to gauge anything as the "catalyst" or "spark factor".

Good lord look at some of the games he had in some series that year and see you are just trying to take away from some of his moments huh? He had some great games in those playoffs and yes series he mentioned! I remember that game 6 a Dallas fan yelling you are a punk Malik!!!!!!!!! He was putting in work on boards that game! He had that and one too, missed alot of free throws though I remember when we were coming back! He was a good FT shooter and missed alot of them late and I was like damn man we need those lol.

The offense was bad against the Nets though except Tims I believe and stretches for someone here or there, terrible O series that was from the Spurs and Nets because of the Gritty D's.

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 06:55 AM
I still don't know how lol, he failed in the playoffs yearly and still had idiot fans in here saying he is good and still got mins lol.

In the deeper rounds of the playoffs teams don't beat themselves. You have to beat them. Bonner thrives of teams beating themselves by leaving him open. That's why it never translates to the playoffs. The only way it works is if Bonner can hit clutch 3's with a hand in his face. You might get away with playing Bonner in the first two rounds but as we saw last year after that it doesn't work.

Prime Time
02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
DeJuan Blair for Nazr Mohammed:downspin:

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
In the deeper rounds of the playoffs teams don't beat themselves. You have to beat them. Bonner thrives of teams beating themselves by leaving him open. That's why it never translates to the playoffs. The only way it works is if Bonner can hit clutch 3's with a hand in his face. You might get away with playing Bonner in the first two rounds but as we saw last year after that it doesn't work.

He's a role player. Teams tend to be better defensively. Even Neal has problems with teams (OKC, Clippers, Grizz), for example.

Sean Cagney
02-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Shoot he is not even really good in the first two rounds usually. He did good vs Utah last year I will give him that, otherwise he usually is around 30% for the playoffs. I agree with what you said though. I still wonder why sometimes he is open and puts the ball on the floor though in the playoffs? Nothing GOOD EVER comes out of that.
He's a role player. Teams tend to be better defensively. Even Neal has problems with teams (OKC, Clippers, Grizz), for example.

Yes, but to have a 33% or less PCT every year? I am sure role players with a hand in their face or against GOOD D teams have shot higher once in a while? He never does, thats the problem.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Shoot he is not even really good in the first two rounds usually. He did good vs Utah last year I will give him that, otherwise he usually is around 30% for the playoffs. I agree with what you said though. I still wonder why sometimes he is open and puts the ball on the floor though in the playoffs? Nothing GOOD EVER comes out of that.

Yes, but to have a 33% or less PCT every year? I am sure role players with a hand in their face or against GOOD D teams have shot higher once in a while? He never does, thats the problem.

I'm not saying he gets a free pass. Neither should Neal though. He should never actually play against any of those teams, especially the Clippers and OKC.

Don't worry - Diaw/Jackson/Kawhi will get time over Bonner.

Sean Cagney
02-15-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not saying he gets a free pass. Neither should Neal though. He should never actually play against any of those teams, especially the Clippers and OKC.

Don't worry - Diaw/Jackson/Kawhi will get time over Bonner.

I am not a huge fan of Neal so I won't argue there! His shot selection to me alot of times is horrible and he is not a backup PG. I agree on the teams he should not play against either, good point.