PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fearless Volume Chuckers: A Necessary Playoff Evil?

Calispursfan11
02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Westbrick, Kobe Bean, Jamal Crawford, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, James Harden, Carmelo Anthony, Eric Gordon, Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis, Jason Terry, Brandon Jennings...

Are these kinds of guys necessary to postseason success in this league? I realize that some of them have never tasted the second round of the playoffs but in general the successful teams all have at least one ridiculously high volume shooter, efficient or not.

Notably, the Spurs have only one arguable chucker in Gary Neal, but he does not get enough playing time to make it onto the Fearless Authentic Volume Chucker list above. Manu and Tony will chuck when time is running out but are generally very efficient and fundamentally sound. Does this lack of fearless chucking hurt the Spurs and other chucker-less teams in the playoffs? I think it may because the Spurs role players tend to freeze up and choke in the playoffs while the fearless chuckers can create their own shots, enter the turbo chucker mode and tend to step up their games in the playoffs. Since the Spurs don't have any true chuckers, does that place them at a disadvantage however slight when comparing the regular season to the playoffs? I think it does.

Discuss.

DAF86
02-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Since when is Manu 0.2 a fearless volume chucker?

SpursIndonesia
02-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Since when is Manu 0.2 a fearless volume chucker?

Since he wears that red gold jersey this season.

DAF86
02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Since he wears that red gold jersey this season.

17.3 shot attempts per game isn't volume chucker territory for a number one option, tbh.

SpursIndonesia
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
17.3 shot attempts per game isn't volume chucker territory for a number one option, tbh.

Well, he isn't a prototypical volume chucker, and he does pick his moment rather wisely, but this season, when he chucks, he chucks, ask question later. Perhaps more appropiate, he's hogging the ball a bit too much out of his position, though as Manu 2.0, he does have the skill as a playmaker.

DAF86
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Get it right, it's Manu 0.2 tbh.

midnightpulp
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Hurts. Only one player you mentioned has won anything.

That said, I do think a Fearless Volume Chucker can be an asset to a team that's a huge underdog.

midnightpulp
02-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh, and when has Eric Gordon become considered a FVC? He was Mr. Efficient in LA. He'd often score 20 points on like 12 shots.

SpursIndonesia
02-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Get it right, it's Manu 0.2 tbh.

Yeah, ok mate, if you said so. :D

Latarian Milton
02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
you need such style of players to take the responsibilities, no matter the shots are made or missed. the rockets are shitting pants tonight w/o beard nig because none of the sorry asses want to take the responsibility. niggas all look afraid to take the shots and they fear the strong criticism from their fanbase if they miss those shots, and that's why they're nothing but 1st round fodder even if they manage to make the playoffs

Calispursfan11
02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Agree with Latarian. We need some more chuckers on the Spurs tbh... Cos you know Bonner and Green are gonna pass up shots they need to take during the playoffs and the ones they do take will provide structure to many a homeless shelter come April-May.

Calispursfan11
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Oh, and when has Eric Gordon become considered a FVC? He was Mr. Efficient in LA. He'd often score 20 points on like 12 shots.

Well ok. But otherwise, my list is pretty darn accurate tbh. Also, I am happy that you coined a new Spurstalk-ism in "FVC".

Raven
02-14-2013, 11:36 AM
they can be good if paired with the best center in the league, otherwise they hurt their team as much as any type of player.

mindcrime
02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Hurts. Only one player you mentioned has won anything.

That said, I do think a Fearless Volume Chucker can be an asset to a team that's a huge underdog.

Actually 2 have. Kirby and Terry

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2013, 12:52 PM
define a chucka? chucks on every possession?

or chucks during stretches of t he game, when there was a better alternative shot selection?

Latarian Milton
02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
there're two types of players you can use for that purpose imho. 1. guys who are known to have big hearts and hit big shots, with examples such as fisher and horry; and 2. guys who don't give a shit whether it hits or not, they're double edged swords that can be brilliant and shoot lights out on a given night but can also turn cancers and brick shots for fun when they're high on drugs, mike james gives you a perfect example of such kind of players imho

Calispursfan11
02-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I think the work of John Starks defines the value of a fearless chucker tbh. Although Starks never won a championship, that Knicks team would not have been nearly as deadly without him overall even though he would have those occasional 2-18 performances. He didn't care - he would keep shooting. I think Chuck Person was a chucker as well (no pun intended), but I do not have his stats in front of me to confirm for you detail freaks... His nickname "The Rifleman" sorta assumes he is a chucker tho... Right?