PDA

View Full Version : Interwebs fantastic coverage of the Spurs

bigfan
02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I figured Id sit here this morning and read all about the the Spurs record going into the all star break. Yeah, nothing on ESPN or SI other than the standard AP story, on Fox Sports there is a nice slam article saying the Thunder will kick our ass. I hope we win the championship this year just to piss these assholes off.

Dex
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50b678c69b7ed.jpeg

Jumi
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I figured Id sit here this morning and read all about the the Spurs record going into the all star break. Yeah, nothing on ESPN or SI other than the standard AP story, on Fox Sports there is a nice slam article saying the Thunder will kick our ass. I hope we win the championship this year just to piss these assholes off.

Yeah that pisses me off! NO ONE actually thinks we stand a chance against OKC, even without Harden! I dare to say at least 80% of Spurs fans thinks this as well! If we ring this year, this would be the sweetest championship in memory! I thought 2003 was the pinnacle of fandom, but one more would seal the deal!

Drive for five!!!!

Dex
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
OKC and Miami are the favorites for the Finals, end of story. While it would be foolhardy to completely write the Spurs off, they've got to prove they can get over that hump. Not sure why this is so surprising.

TrueSpursFan
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2096311/oie_2625239Fjiaa1SF.gif

Spur|n|Austin
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2096311/oie_2625239Fjiaa1SF.gif

What the hill is this from??

TrueSpursFan
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
What the hill is this from??

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/1/31/3934160/kawhi-leonard-all-star-develop-career

jyra
02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
It's from one of Bonner's Coach B videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG8DcxgaDIU

at 1:50

TrueSpursFan
02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks, I first saw it when reading the article on kawhi and his all star potential from pounding the rock. Loved it when I saw it!

Man In Black
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah that pisses me off! NO ONE actually thinks we stand a chance against OKC, even without Harden! I dare to say at least 80% of Spurs fans thinks this as well! If we ring this year, this would be the sweetest championship in memory! I thought 2003 was the pinnacle of fandom, but one more would seal the deal!

Drive for five!!!!

The term is called Selective Mutism. Those mouthpieces will not talk about the Spurs except disparagingly until the Spurs force their hand by being deep in the playoffs and hopefully in the Finals. Then they have no choice. If they talked about the Spurs with it's large foreign contingent of players, their coach who doesn't give a fuck about the media, and their players who care more about their market, than the NATIONAL market, then they couldn't run their agenda of crying about Large Market triumphs and failures. In essence, that media is just as Tabloid as the Grocery rags. Just on a different level.

Spurs have a chance this year, they know...they just refuse to talk about it.

anonoftheinternets
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
OKC and Miami are the favorites for the Finals, end of story. While it would be foolhardy to completely write the Spurs off, they've got to prove they can get over that hump. Not sure why this is so surprising.

And in order for them to prove they can get over that hump, they need to get over the hump? You're right, that is completely unsurprising. :)

Dex
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
And in order for them to prove they can get over that hump, they need to get over the hump? You're right, that is completely unsurprising. :)

:lol It's not rocket science.

Spurs have gone into the past two postseasons as the first seed, and still couldn't reach the Finals. That's a tough stigma to shake, and no one is going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't have a Lebron or Durant on your team. Spurs could continue to steamroll the rest of the regular season, but until they prove their worth in the playoffs, people are going to continue to doubt them.

mathbzh
02-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Spurs have gone into the past two postseasons as the first seed, and still couldn't reach the Finals. That's a tough stigma to shake, and no one is going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you don't have a Lebron or Durant on your team. Spurs could continue to steamroll the rest of the regular season, but until they prove their worth in the playoffs, people are going to continue to doubt them.
This is why a couple of year ago, nobody on ESPN would pick Phoenix over that proven boring team.

KaiRMD1
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM

^This, the Spurs have pretty much given all those haters more proof that the Spurs aren't a team to consider the "favorites" because we've always come up short in the playoffs. The crazy thing is the same thing has happened to other teams yet those other teams will still remain the favorites even after they lose in the playoffs time and time again. It just means the Spurs have their work cut out for them.

hooperflash
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Can someone take this video and upload only Kawhi's part? Lmao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG8DcxgaDIU

at 1:50

Obstructed_View
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I figured Id sit here this morning and read all about the the Spurs record going into the all star break.

There's your mistake. Scott Van Pelt committed what's likely a fireable offense in Bristol for any minor news anchor. That's your bonus for the weekend.

biskvito
02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
It's up to the players not choke and defeat the refs... I admit I have no idea how NBA players can play defense against teams like okc and miami... You have to basically outscore them on playoffs and hope for their star be on a bad night and guard the non stars

KenziE
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
It's up to the players not choke and defeat the refs... I admit I have no idea how NBA players can play defense against teams like okc and miami... You have to basically outscore them on playoffs and hope for their star be on a bad night and guard the non stars

This and there's no other way around it period !

TampaDude
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
IMHO, the Spurs are the only team in the West that can beat Miami in the Finals.

Oh, BTW...15,000 posts! :hat

chazley
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Let's see if Serge Ibaka/Kendrick Perkins/Nick Collison can combine to shoot 95% on 18 ft FG again in the playoffs. I like our chances.

Man In Black
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Let's see if Serge Ibaka/Kendrick Perkins/Nick Collison can combine to shoot 95% on 18 ft FG again in the playoffs. I like our chances.
Considering that Harden was responsible for many of those passes for those open shots and that he's now playing in Houston, I seriously doubt it.

Russ
02-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Considering that Harden was responsible for many of those passes for those open shots and that he's now playing in Houston, I seriously doubt it.

Harden for OKC last year was like Jack for the Spurs in '03 (he just fell one step short of Jack in the end).

But both Jack and Harden wanted too much money, so the team let them go.

Although I see titles down the line in OKC's future . . .

This year is their Turkoglu year. :)

ezau
02-15-2013, 01:08 AM
OKC had the option to let go of Ibaka for Harden, but they didn't. Tough luck for them.

MR-Clutch
02-15-2013, 01:46 AM
I know its not much considering Bayless is as much a homer as us but he took notice.
Skip Bayless✔@RealSkipBaylessKawhi Leonard, game-winning 3. Becoming a star at 21. Spurs win. Again. NBA's best record. Best in West.

callo1
02-15-2013, 05:31 AM
I will take the Spurs over OKC in a 7 game series this year. A much more involved and confident Splitter, to go along with an improved Duncan, and more experienced Leonard and Green.

TP ballin like crazy doesn't hurt either.

Spurs in 6.

racm
02-15-2013, 06:28 AM
I will take the Spurs over OKC in a 7 game series this year. A much more involved and confident Splitter, to go along with an improved Duncan, and more experienced Leonard and Green.

TP ballin like crazy doesn't hurt either.

Spurs in 6.

The Spurs are gonna play 5 on 8 silly. Though it wouldn't hurt if Green doesn't have one of his patented cold streaks in the WCF.

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM

It's going to take a championship for people to forget about the recent playoff upsets. The sweep to the Suns in '10 and the 1st round loss in '11. Even last year was a backdoor sweep.

Leetonidas
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Oh look, it's the :cry Spurs aren't getting any press from mainstream media :cry thread. Get the fuck over it already, it's been like 20 years of the same shit man

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM

The Spurs need to defend the stars well and limit the role players. They also need KL to play his best defense against Durant/Lebron.

It seems like in recent years Pop has become so focused on trying to stop the stars he's let the role players beat us. It's a reversal from '05 when he let Stoudemire average 37 and we still won the series. If Durant/Lebron average 40+ and the role players are not getting involved the Spurs can still win.

Dex
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
It's going to take a championship for people to forget about the recent playoff upsets. The sweep to the Suns in '10 and the 1st round loss in '11. Even last year was a backdoor sweep.

I think even making it to the Finals would be enough to vindicate them for the most part but, yes...if they are getting to the Finals, they BETTER keep their perfect record intact.

Expert
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Neither ESPN nor SI are interested in San Antonio, however SI at least tries to appear to be focused on reporting sports. ESPN has major offices in the big market cities. They take their cover stories from the stories from these offices. There's no money in reporting on the Spurs, no one wants to read it. If you want to know what's going on, read an article from 4 years ago and just change the date. The Spurs are doing what they've always done, and they will meet their demise this year as they always have, in the playoffs against a team that's built for a championship.

Eventually the bulk of the NBA fans want to read about their favorite teams and the other team that might challenge for a title. The Spurs are neither of these in most cases. The Mavericks don't get much press either, and didn't even when they won a ring.

Jumi
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
The sweep to the Suns really wasn't a big deal. We weren't a championship caliber team and the Suns were due. The first round loss to Memphis had more to do with Manu and Tim's health. Could the Lakers win with an injured Kobe and ailing Pau? How about the Thunder with a hurt Westbrook and hobbled Durant? When we were at full strength we made it to the WCF. We swept the Clips but now the Clips are gonna beat us in the playoffs cuz they're new and improved? Get outta here! No Harden and we still can't beat the Thunder? Nonsense! We were TWO games away from a trip to the Finals, but we "overachieved!" Nope, we kicked ass but came up a little short. Let's try this again!!