PDA

View Full Version : Has Blair really regressed?

KL2
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm not so sure he has, in fact he may have gotten better. He's been pretty efficient in the few minutes he has gotten these past couple of weeks. I think if he were to actually get playing time on a consistent basis we'd have the same Blair+better defense (his weight loss has made him more quicker). Just think of how Splitter changed once he started getting more and more minutes. You can't bench a guy for forever, throw him out every once and a while and expect him to produce, which is what Pop has done and in the past done with Tiago.

That being said I'd still like to get rid of him because he's still a 6'6 center. I just don't think he's regressed as some of you believe.

pad300
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
The big issue is physical. It may be chronic, accumulated wear, or maybe just the length and intensity of the NBA schedule, but he doesn't have the physical "bounce" that he did in his first year. Mentally, he has become a better b-ball player; but physically, he looks at lot less capable.

Mel_13
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
He started 15 games this season before he was benched. The Spurs have been a better team since that change.

freetiago
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
His defense is still really bad and his iq is nonexistent
still hasnt learned he cant push people off going for rebounds or what a 3 second call is
also only has 1 post move (spin left, throw up circus shot, get blocked) and now he likes to shoot jumpers early in the clock

anyone can beast vs soft frontlines like Dallas/Cavs when they have Manu throwing between the leg passes to set you up
Blair will most likely remain a Spur
his contract isnt bad and hes not exactly sweetener in a stephen jackson trade
bonner is more likely to be traded

ace3g
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Blair is better suited for run and gun/all star type games, where defense isn't the focus. Adding a jumper to his game will help but he never consistently uses his body in the low block. There have been stints when he took his time and used the power dribble with great success, unfortunately that isn't the norm.

BatManu20
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
He's just too small. He gets out-rebounded by every guy he faces cause they're all have at least 3 or 4 inches on him. And players just shoot over the top of him cause of his height. So yea, it's more or a physical limitations thing. Unfortunately, it really hinders him at this level.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
He started 15 games this season before he was benched. The Spurs have been a better team since that change.

All the numbers over the past few years (including this one), that he's better on the bench than on the floor.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Blair is better suited for run and gun/all star type games, where defense isn't the focus. Adding a jumper to his game will help but he never consistently uses his body in the low block. There have been stints when he took his time and used the power dribble with great success, unfortunately that isn't the norm.

He got blocked so often when he did that power dribble (although his rebounding numbers looked good). Now he does a lot of pop-a-shot which has varying degrees of success.

DesignatedT
02-14-2013, 04:22 PM
He's a regular season player just like Bonner. He isn't built for the playoffs.

sananspursfan21
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
The big issue is physical. It may be chronic, accumulated wear, or maybe just the length and intensity of the NBA schedule, but he doesn't have the physical "bounce" that he did in his first year. Mentally, he has become a better b-ball player; but physically, he looks at lot less capable.

this seems to be the best explanation. theres still several games where in spurts he looks like his old self. what i notice about him is that when he's in the game, he goes unnoticed, not really good or bad. he doesn't rebound like he used to though. he's just kind of there, and that's a problem if there's someone out there who could be taking his minutes and making something of them

Strategic
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Blair should have been working on a 10 to 15 feet shot since his college days. Sometimes I wonder who is giving these guys council.

Destro
02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
he should have been a football player

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
If you were a head coach..Ask yourself..."Would you rather play Splitter or #45?"
Thread answered.

playblair
02-14-2013, 05:35 PM
^lets compare ...........

player A = 30/20 game elite rebounder .........

player B = couldn't post a pg (derek fisher) ...........

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Are you kidding me?
#45 sucks slut... Neal With It.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Player A= Can't get off the bench unless being showcased.

Player B= Starts every game and Has a Higher PER...

I choose Player B!

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Splitter and Leonard are averaging more Rebounds than #45.. lol Elite??

playblair
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
blair = better rebounder than diaw bonner splitter combined ...............

blair is needed in the playoffs ............

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
^^^ More Like #45 needs to get Laid Off!! Guy is a joke!

playblair
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
^hater................

That's not really fair. Blair is very good on the pick and roll. He was by far the best on the team until Splitter came along. Blair is also a pretty talented scorer. He's added a couple of shots to his game since he was drafted.

waisman
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Why Blair but Shot selection .
Is He think he is kobe ?

spurraider21
02-14-2013, 06:00 PM

blair = better rebounder than diaw bonner splitter combined ...............

blair is needed in the playoffs ............

^hater................

ace3g
02-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Lets see, Splitter is part of a Spurs starting line up putting up really good defensive numbers this season, Blair on the other hand when in the starting line up.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 06:02 PM

You can't reason with playblair's faulty logic. Oh well, soon enough he'll be on another team, and Blair will be dropping 30 and 20 regularly.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I can't stand #45.. so I guess I am a hater.

Even your name insinuates #45 riding the Pine!!
Shouldn't your name be BlairPlaying? as opposed to PlayBlair???

Either way, #45 will be traded and or released at season's end... It's a win win!

Arcadian
02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
That being said I'd still like to get rid of him because he's still a 6'5 power forward. I just don't think he's regressed as some of you believe.

Fixed

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
#45 is not Averaging 30/20 a game like Playblair has stated so I'd say he has regressed...

Obstructed_View
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
^hater................

So you conveniently delete the part where I mention he's a shitty defender. He's not just shitty, he's legendarily shitty. It's why he can't get any playing time. He's by far the worst defender on the team, and the guys he covers put up MVP numbers when he's on the floor. If he's not putting up Kobe type stats, he can't crack the rotation.

spurraider21
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
You can't reason with playblair's faulty logic. Oh well, soon enough he'll be on another team, and Blair will be dropping 30 and 20 regularly.

its not the logic i care about. its that he ends every sentence with ..............

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:17 PM
^^^^ PLayBlair!!! LOL :lol............

sventhedog
02-14-2013, 06:27 PM
one word. length.

Obstructed_View
02-14-2013, 06:34 PM
one word. defense.

tbh...........

moisaenz
02-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah he is going to be doing 30, 20 but in the D-League.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah he is going to be doing 30, 20 but in the D-League.

Yeah no shit right... Playblair thinks #45 could do this every night in the NBA though.

playblair
02-14-2013, 06:47 PM
So you conveniently delete the part where I mention he's a shitty defender. He's not just shitty, he's legendarily shitty. It's why he can't get any playing time. He's by far the worst defender on the team, and the guys he covers put up MVP numbers when he's on the floor. If he's not putting up Kobe type stats, he can't crack the rotation.

blair = great hands on defense ............ blair constantly steals or strips the ball from other bigs ..............

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:51 PM
blair = great hands on defense ............ blair constantly steals or strips the ball from other bigs ..............

I will give #45 that...but shit when you are 6'4' Center guarding a 7 footer you should be stealing/stripping the ball. "Low Enough"

Brazil
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Blair D sucks.
more Tiago less Blair = much improved defense see 2011 / 2012 season vs. this one.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-14-2013, 06:53 PM
you're right man.

he's pretty good at that crappy little quick flick thing he does. he can cut for and make passes. he's making some of those brave mid rangers. he tries to take charges. he causes and chases loose balls really well...

...but to rebound or block, he has to work twice as hard on half the knees. does anything else matter? matt bonner rebounds and defends better!

i wouldn't say blair has regressed. i would say he's a player like tony romo. the midget and the mental midget. the promising un-drafted gem qb who keeps choking. and the promising sleeper gem big that is just too dad gum short. a team is only as good as it's weakest player. coulda would shoulda is a fools game. but romo was choking early on. cowboys management shoulda known to cut the cord him early. how depressing is it being a cowboy fan these days?

we've seen blair crack the line up and shine. now he's all the way back at the bottom of the bench. we all know why. thank God the spurs are not the cowboys. blair is so gone. and he just may be better than ever. but even a prime blair is just too much of a defensive weakness. the spurs should trade him inside the conference, but outside the division. i think division rivals know all about blair. but it'd be awesome if we could exploit blair against an unwise playoff contender. perry jones? trey thompkins? quincy miller?

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 06:53 PM
POP Should be Playing Baynes over #45 though..

Obstructed_View
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM

He's got great hands. He strips the ball more than most bigs, which works out to about 8 percent of the time. The vast majority of the remaining 92 percent is spent giving up offensive rebounds, dunks and and-ones................

freetiago
02-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Blair starting = 30 rebounds for Bynum
Splitter starting = 2 rebounds for Bynum

case closed

pgardn
02-14-2013, 06:59 PM
He clearly cannot move his feet. He lost weight, but did not gain any significant quickness.

We have all witnessed pregnant sloths get by him.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
What about #45's awesome 15 foot running floater??
I cringe whenever I see that sorry ass throw that shit up..

Brazil
02-14-2013, 07:14 PM

case closed

:lol whatever serves for you dude.

Dex
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm convinced that playbair is actually Dejuan's mom, or just lives in an alternate reality.

LarryDavid
02-14-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't know if he's regressed, but be definitely hasn't improved or added to his game. It seems like most of his buckets come from PnR plays, which is fine. But I would love to see him develop a mid range jumper.

racm
02-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm convinced that playbair is actually Dejuan's mom, or just lives in an alternate reality.

Or a less eloquent version of theghostofjh from Pounding the Rock :lol

racm
02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't know if he's regressed, but be definitely hasn't improved or added to his game. It seems like most of his buckets come from PnR plays, which is fine. But I would love to see him develop a mid range jumper.

Still can't defend anyone

Too slow to defend perimeter players
Too small to defend pick and pop bigs

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 08:40 PM
POP Should be Playing Baynes over #45 though..
Need to play him a little to get his trade value back up, which he's doing a decent showing at. That and he knows the system way more than Baynes.

Pasta Batman
02-14-2013, 08:44 PM
He's got great hands. He strips the ball more than most bigs, which works out to about 8 percent of the time. The vast majority of the remaining 92 percent is spent giving up offensive rebounds, dunks and and-ones................

Or foul trouble. Heck, last game he had two lose ball fouls going for offensive rebounds.

When he's spoon fed, basically from (mostly) Manu and Parker.

Or a less eloquent version of theghostofjh from Pounding the Rock :lol

It's probably him, but more straight to the point, as the mods are more free with the talk (relative to PTR).

YoMamaIsCallin
02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Answer: yes. He doesn't seem to care much any more. He makes mistakes and fouls way too much. And his attitude seems to be to laugh it off, as opposed to the intensity you see from everybody else.

The Spurs are a precision execution system oriented team. Blair clearly doesn't buy into that. He's loosey-goosey out there.

I think he's just waiting to get traded.

LittleCriminal
02-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Answer: yes. He doesn't seem to care much any more. He makes mistakes and fouls way too much. And his attitude seems to be to laugh it off, as opposed to the intensity you see from everybody else.

The Spurs are a precision execution system oriented team. Blair clearly doesn't buy into that. He's loosey-goosey out there.

I think he's just waiting to get traded.

I'm waiting for that last sentence to happen too!! Only 7 days left.

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM

So true. And when every possession matters (aka the playoffs) you can't afford to have him on the court, due to his physical and mental limitations.
He's useless IMO.

Darkwaters
02-15-2013, 01:18 AM

case closed

I remember those two games. Night and day.

That truly does close this discussion.

Drom John
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
WS/48: .147, .132, .142, .141. Career .140.
PT reduced.

Blair is producing as usual. Diaw (and Splitter) have cut into Blair's playing time.

TJastal
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Hah.

That is one cool gif in your sig Obstructed_View! Besides the awesome animation part something that may not be apparent in this play is Splitter reads that crossover a split second before the defender does... and that's all the window Parker needs.. shows some serious IQ going one and just how far along chemistry has come. Merci!

Obstructed_View
02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Hah.

That is one cool gif in your sig Obstructed_View! Besides the awesome animation part something that may not be apparent in this play is Splitter reads that crossover a split second before the defender does... and that's all the window Parker needs.. shows some serious IQ going one and just how far along chemistry has come. Merci!

Someone posted it from another website. It has its own thread. It was too cool not to share.

And yeah, the Spurs are a fun offense to watch. I seem to recall someone predicting that the Spurs would pick and roll teams to death with Splitter in the starting lineup.