PDA

View Full Version : This year's Spurs vs last year's Spurs...

KL2
02-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Which team is better? Last year the Spurs were an offensive juggernaut heading into the playoffs. This year the Spurs aren't as good offensively but defensively they are waaay better. Jack has really fallen off, however TP is having one of the best years of his career, Splitter/Green/Kawhi have all stepped their games up as well, Manu was playing very well up until his injury and Duncan is Duncan.

I don't think SA has peaked yet, not until everybody is 100%. How do you think this team will do these playoffs, and do you think this team would beat last year's OKC team or is it too early to tell?

racm
02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
This team is worse on offense because they're not shooting that well from 3 but they're much better on defense because Duncan is blocking shots at a career best rate and the 3 point defense has significantly improved.

Hard to beat OKC since they play 8 on 5 tbh.

capek
02-15-2013, 01:34 AM
38% vs 39%, not sure that small dip makes them worse on offense. Splitter in starting lineup, Kawhi another year, Nando and Baynes to add in there, revival Timmy, and their much improved D makes this year's team clearly better in my eyes. Haven't fully gelled yet but SPAM, so whaddya expect.

Arcadian
02-15-2013, 01:40 AM
2013 spurs > 2012 spurs

Duncan and Parker are better, defense is better, and Splitter is playing next to Duncan and giving him the help he needs. And I like our chances against OKC. We're not losing to them two years in a row.

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
This year's Spurs is 3rd in defensive ratings, last year 11th
This team is 2nd defending 3s, last year 19th
This team is 4th in ppg, last year 2nd.
This team is 15th defending the PnR, last year 30th.

We are better, much better.

freetiago
02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
i think post trade spurs from last year were better
they had everyone clicking and the defense was actually good but the begining the season dropped the numbers
this years spurs can be better but the offense needs to pick up
guys are playing better but it doesnt feel the same

Sean Cagney
02-15-2013, 02:14 AM
they had everyone clicking and the defense was actually good but the begining the season dropped the numbers

D is alot better so what are you talking about? Post trade Spurs went on a huge roll but their D was not that great at all, they scored alot. I would rather D pick up then O! Our O is good this year and we have some playing better! It feels better, last year I knew they would fade eventually with that D and they did! They relied on the three too much although that roll was great. Offense is fine! We have had alot of guys out this year and if they get back and on the same page soon look out! This years team has a higher ceiling.

Kidd K
02-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Well, we're playing better D'. . .but the health of the team has definitely not been as good. As long as it's good by time the playoffs start, and remains so. . .we'll be fine, but Ginobili keeps going down with different injuries every time he comes back from another one. It's safe to say he probably isn't going to be anywhere near 100% throughout the playoffs. Kind of makes trading Jackson seem like not such a good idea anymore. He needs to step it up for us.

This team is worse on offense because they're not shooting that well from 3 but they're much better on defense because Duncan is blocking shots at a career best rate and the 3 point defense has significantly improved.

Hard to beat OKC since they play 8 on 5 tbh.

Yeah, that's still my main concern going into the playoffs. I'm not one of those types who thinks we will beat anyone unless shady shit goes down. . .but you'd have to be a fool to think our biggest chance of losing isn't because of Stern's refs. I think we can beat any team (though yes, we're beatable. . .as is everyone else). . .but the refs and lopsided officating concerns me more than any particular team does after last year's horrendous pro-Thunder officiating.

TimmehC
02-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Defense > Offense
2013 > 2012

Russo21
02-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Most of the guys on the team have improved, Splitter, Duncan, Parker, Leonard etc etc. In fact, most of the guys are at the same level or improved on last year, except Stephen Jackson. I'd say he's the only weaker link from last year to this.

6 points per game on 37% FG and 25% 3PFG, 3 rebounds, 0.9 combined steals/blocks. Salary is about 10 million. I hope he is gone by the deadline, the way he's going he's making RJ's tenure in silver and black a success.

timtonymanu
02-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Well we have to wait until what happens in the playoffs to say which team is better, but I definitely believe the team has a better chance this year than last. As good as the team was last year, I definitely felt they were fool's gold. This year, I think they have a legit chance at a championship.

Reasons:

-More chemistry (Diaw and Jackson's acclimation)

-Splitter/Duncan lineup + Duncan's resurgence (Chuck mentioned that our team and the Grizzlies are the only two frontlines that could take on Miami. Odd to hear now considering we were very thin and lacked the size at the front just at the start of last season)

-Leonard's development (The Spurs definitely need to run more plays for him and make him a scoring option)

- Parker's improvement (He's better than he was last season)

-Bonner out of the rotation (Probably one of the biggest factors)

And most importantly, the defense. The Spurs were a middle-of-the-pack defensive team for quite some time. Now they are back in the top 5 defensively. Of course, our success mainly relies on our health and if our team can keep up this level in the playoffs and not choke. (Splitter, Green, Neal to name a few)

Mal
02-15-2013, 03:06 AM
I am not watching many games, but I can easily say that this year team is way better. Parker is playing almost god mode, Duncan is fresh and being core of defense. Kawhi and Tiago improved a lot. And even with decline of Manu, Jax, Bonner, Blair overall this team is better. Jax and Manu still can return to playing basketball on highest level. We all know how veteran team works.

timtonymanu
02-15-2013, 03:09 AM
:lol the Jack hate on this board is so unwarranted.

Jack's contributions alone in the WCF last year already make him more successful than RJ's tenure. It's not his fault that most of the team choked in the WCF, so don't bring up :cry Why didn't they advance then?" :cry

And like RJ's stats are so good right now. 3.9 PPG, .297 3PT%, .438% FG, 1.6 RPG. Give me Jack's 10 million contract any day.

carina_gino20
02-15-2013, 03:19 AM
the way he's going he's making RJ's tenure in silver and black a success.

Who is this RJ you speak of?

timtonymanu
02-15-2013, 03:21 AM
Who is this RJ you speak of?

Exactly. I don't care how shitty some people think Jack is. He should never be compared to that guy.

Mal
02-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Exactly. I don't care how shitty some people think Jack is. He should never be compared to that guy.

It more complicated. RJ was meant to be 4th option, Jax is 7th. Spurs with RJ didnt have Leonard, Tiago.

RJ faild, badly, to contribute as 4th option with high salary. He sucked on D, and fail on O.

And since Spurs traded his ass directly for Jax, comparission is obvious.

Jax is better team mate, better defender, but this season he took couple steps back on contribution. Will he play better while season continue ? Or better is to trade his expiring 10mil along with draft picks for rental guy, who can contribute right away - Josh Smith, Dalembert.

spurraider21
02-15-2013, 04:04 AM
with Tiago's emergence and Kawhi suddenly blooming, its tough to dispute we are better than last year. Duncan better than last year, TP somehow outdoing last season. Just a matter of having Manu healthy

KaiRMD1
02-15-2013, 05:37 AM
The D is better but the O isn't. It's work for us in the past

BatManu20
02-15-2013, 05:43 AM
Last years offense was better, this years defense is better. But, none of this matters if our role players disappear on us again in the playoffs. If Green, Kawhi, Boris, Bonner, and JAX don't knock down their open looks, we'll lose. Splitter too. It's that simple.

racm
02-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Last years offense was better, this years defense is better. But, none of this matters if our role players disappear on us again in the playoffs. If Green, Kawhi, Boris, Bonner, and JAX don't knock down their open looks, we'll lose. Splitter too. It's that simple.

I don't think KL's a guy who's a strict spot-up shooter. He's getting a bigger role in the offense, tbh. Would be a nice safety valve in the event of another Sefolosha-on-Parker adjustment.

IMO his ability to create his own shot as well as his defense was missed in the game at OKC (where the Spurs lost by 14 due to losing Ginobili and Leonard).

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 07:41 AM
The offense still has time to improve but it's good to see the defense has improved. When the offense improves it's only going to increase the margin of victory.

bklynspursfan
02-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Just out of curiosity where'd you find those stats?

Spur|n|Austin
02-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Interesting, I'm also curious as to where you snagged those though. Good stuff!

Prime Time
02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
2013 Parker>2012 Parker
2013 Duncan>2012 Duncan
2013 Leonard>2012 Leonard
2013 Pop>2012 Pop

SpurSpurSpurs
02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Same question. Shocked to see us at 30th place for PnR defense.

look_at_g_shred
02-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Not to mention we are a better free throw shooting team which hurt us last year.

boutons_deux
02-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Not to mention we are a better free throw shooting team which hurt us last year.

low FTs and high TOs were famous, horrible weak points of the 2003 NBA Champions. :)

Pop
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM

I agree with that, also Tiago doesn't look very solid under pressure, especially at the line, I wouldn't trust him at the line on the road in a close game. He shot basically the same during last regular season.

Brooklyn game with Mr Whammy in his face : 55% at the line. Lol at people who say no to Smith for Splitter because of his FT shooting...

So yeah a lot of the improvements are fans trying to convince themselves imo. Last season team was incredible and could/should probably have won it all so it's not like this one has no shot but I don't think the odds are significantly better either, Green and Tiago are still the same players, Kawhi got better, Manu got worse.

ginobilized
02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Not even close...2013 squad is curb-stomping 2012 Spurs.
This team has yet to peak and really has made impressive improvements from last season.
I can see the offense clicking in the home heavy 2nd half of the season.
Remember, this team has played more road games than any other NBA team up to this point. These improvements are all the more significant due to this.
Barring injury, I can see this team representing the West in June.

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
I agree with that, also Tiago doesn't look very solid under pressure, especially at the line, I wouldn't trust him at the line on the road in a close game.

Like that Cleveland game, 2 fts and spurs was down by 3...:rolleyes

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Synergy

bklynspursfan
02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Synergy

bklynspursfan
02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
This is also a difference:

Tony Parker, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, Duncan and Tiago Splitter have allowed just 86.4 points per 100 possessions in 199 minutes together.

That's good for #1 in the league

http://stats.nba.com/leagueLineups.html?MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&filters=MIN*GE*100&sortField=DEF_RATING&sortOrder=ASC

timtonymanu
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
It more complicated. RJ was meant to be 4th option, Jax is 7th. Spurs with RJ didnt have Leonard, Tiago.

RJ faild, badly, to contribute as 4th option with high salary. He sucked on D, and fail on O.

And since Spurs traded his ass directly for Jax, comparission is obvious.

Jax is better team mate, better defender, but this season he took couple steps back on contribution. Will he play better while season continue ? Or better is to trade his expiring 10mil along with draft picks for rental guy, who can contribute right away - Josh Smith, Dalembert.

I definitely don't think Jack is untouchable and if a good trade comes along and Jack is involved, the Spurs have to pull the trigger. I just think it's stupid though how a lot of people on this board think he will be completely useless for the playoffs. That's dumb considering how much he's stepped up for this team in the past.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
The team offense is better (even though they aren't shooting as high a percentage) in that they have the ability to score more even if 3pt shots aren't falling. They have more motion in this year's offense than last year. Spurs are better with experience as well with their young guys and newer guys (including Jax/Diaw/Mills).

silverblk mystix
02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
#1) Timmy playing like he got tired of coasting and decided to get back to work.

#2) Pop deciding to play the players that give the spurs the best chance of being a better team - or hopefully a championship team---instead of playing the players he likes the most.

#3) Last season was sometimes painful to watch and Pop's favoritism took away the joy of watching. Couldn't even enjoy the victories and/or winning streaks because you just KNEW...you just KNEW ...it would bite the spurs in the ass in the end.

This season it has been fun again and enjoyable to watch.

Lot better this season - so far.

Man In Black
02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
It's better because of continuity and more experience in the Corporate Knowledge. if any of the Big 3 go down with any knick-knack injury, then it's over. Because truth, without any of them at close to full or better, then the Spurs aren't winning...Barring a huge uptick in play from either Kawhi, Tiago, or Danny Green.
Kawhi and Tiago have already raised their games, Danny is still too inconsistent.

But yeah...I like this team's chances a lot because the other powerhouse West team haven't looked as powerful as the Spurs have. I know the Clippers improved with Billups back and I know that OKC looks vulnerable because of Westbrook's me 1st mentality. I think the Spurs have just as good a chance as anyone even if no one in the media is talking about it.

rascal
02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Not even close...2013 squad is curb-stomping 2012 Spurs.
This team has yet to peak and really has made impressive improvements from last season.
I can see the offense clicking in the home heavy 2nd half of the season.
Remember, this team has played more road games than any other NBA team up to this point. These improvements are all the more significant due to this.
Barring injury, I can see this team representing the West in June.

What is their record against the top 5 teams in the league?

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 06:42 PM
This is also a difference:

That's good for #1 in the league

http://stats.nba.com/leagueLineups.html?MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&filters=MIN*GE*100&sortField=DEF_RATING&sortOrder=ASC

I would like to know what happens when you replace DG with Manu who's get even better defensive stats.

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
#1)
#2) Pop deciding to play the players that give the spurs the best chance of being a better team - or hopefully a championship team---instead of playing the players he likes the most.

#3) Last season was sometimes painful to watch and Pop's favoritism took away the joy of watching. Couldn't even enjoy the victories and/or winning streaks because you just KNEW...you just KNEW ...it would bite the spurs in the ass in the end.

This season it has been fun again and enjoyable to watch.

Lot better this season - so far.

Exactly. I was tired of Pop's excuse that the team wasn't good enough to be a top 5 defensive system. When he finally goes back to his defensive principles and plays the better defenders more, shockingly, the Spurs get better defensively. We would have been much better if Pop would have done that sooner. It was the same thing with Splitter. However, finally it looks like he's more reasonable now. Now he has to figure out the backup PG situation.

silverblk mystix
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Exactly. I was tired of Pop's excuse that the team wasn't good enough to be a top 5 defensive system. When he finally goes back to his defensive principles and plays the better defenders more, shockingly, the Spurs get better defensively. We would have been much better if Pop would have done that sooner. It was the same thing with Splitter. However, finally it looks like he's more reasonable now. Now he has to figure out the backup PG situation.

It isn't that hard a decision...as a matter of fact either DeColo or Mills should just be given the job right now and allow them the chance to get comfortable and hit their stride by playoff time.

Pop is over thinking this one again and I hope it doesn't bite the spurs in the ass this season too.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 11:06 PM
It isn't that hard a decision...as a matter of fact either DeColo or Mills should just be given the job right now and allow them the chance to get comfortable and hit their stride by playoff time.

Pop is over thinking this one again and I hope it doesn't bite the spurs in the ass this season too.

Each of the 3 has had their chances. no player has shined consistently, but it's obvious that Neal is a 2. Pop tries to find him minutes and it's hard without putting at the 1. At the very least, getting him minutes before the trade deadline (same with Blair) is a good thing to try and build up value.

freetiago
02-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Should just play ginobili at SF since he cant defend screens either
neal at 2 and de colo at the 1
ginobili plays mostly offball and the ball is in de colo's hands

jackson can sit on the bench

spursmartyr
02-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Kobe would destroy Gary Neal in the playoffs