PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi thinks he's going to be a regular all star and the future of the spurs.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Kawhi..." I know i'm going to be a regular all-star one day..just got keep working hard"

Kawhi "I think I could be the future of the San Antonio Spurs, I'm working hard for it and that's what I want to do"

:wow

Brunodf
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Source? I don't like this...

Prime Time
02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Cocky, Trade him now Pop!

I love Kawhi's confidence, and I love it even more because of how hard he works. If he thinks he can be the future of the Spurs, He won't stop until he is.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 06:34 PM

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/02/15/130215leonardavailability2mov-2386893

Mel_13
02-15-2013, 06:35 PM

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/02/15/130215leonardavailability2mov-2386893

Chinook
02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Kawhi "I think I could be the future of the San Antonio Spurs, I'm working hard for it and that's what I want to do"

Hill, Blair and Malik Hairston :lol said the same thing.

Roger Freemason Jr.
02-15-2013, 06:37 PM

What's not to like? In fact, I feel that he's being really modest. He's never going to be chest thumping monkeyballer, but he acknowledges that he has the length, skill set, and room to grow. He is going to disrupt people's offensive game for the rest of his career, players are going to have nightmares about Kawhi's length.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Hill, Blair and Malik Hairston :lol said the same thing.
no one really thought those three would be the future of the spurs.

ffadicted
02-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm happy Kawhi sees a future with us :) You're more than welcome to stay!

Chinook
02-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Except the fact that no one really thought those three would be the future of the spurs.

You must have just started being a Spurs fan then. Hill and Blair were talked up a lot their first two years.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Whether he says out loud or believes it, it's no different. In order to achieve, you have to set goals/have a desire. All the greats do. Duncan has something like this too, I'd bet. It's what keeps him working. Same with Parker.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
You must have just started being a Spurs fan then. Hill and Blair were talked up a lot their first two years.

Not in the same league as kwahi.

Cklbmk
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Anyone who ever thought Blair was going to be amazing is clearly delusional. His lack of height made it apparent that his ceiling wasn't at that level. Hill I thought was going to be here longer, but I fully support that trade

timvp
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Great news. The first step in becoming an All-Star is to believe in yourself. Kawhi is humble and accepts whatever role is necessary but he also dreams big. Good combination :tu

Chinook
Not in the same league as kwahi.

That's just the recency effect. Hill's had better games than Kawhi has so far, and for the most part, he was just as much Spurs' material as Leonard is. I don't even have to elaborate on Blair's rookie year.

spurraider21
Kawhi's a hard worker. If he says he wants to be these things, he'll get himself there.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 06:48 PM

I remember Hill > Parker and Blair = Next Barkley.

Brazil
:tu

ffadicted
also LMAO @ kawhi being like "naaah I don't really give a fuck about other all-stars"

Darius McCrary
"How big are mah fingers? I'm not sure" :rollin

cheguevara
last few games I notice Kawhi playing with a mission. He needs to step it up even a few more notches in the playoffs and spurs can actually have a deep run

Chinook
Anyone who ever thought Blair was going to be amazing is clearly delusional. His lack of height made it apparent that his ceiling wasn't at that level. Hill I thought was going to be here longer, but I fully support that trade

It's easy to say those things now. The truth was, there were a lot of people who thought like playblair does now.

Chinook
02-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I remember Hill > Parker and Blair = Next Barkley.

Thanks. At least someone remembers.

Darius McCrary
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Kawhi sounded different in this interview than previously. I think the Spurs or NBA PR people have been working with him to be more confident and assertive in interviews.

cheguevara
02-15-2013, 06:51 PM
:lol I remember Blair the next Barkley :lmao

we sum pathetic homers up in here

Mayhem321
02-15-2013, 06:51 PM

Would you like better if he said that his ceiling is to be a role player ?
That's nothing wrong with confidence IMO.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 06:52 PM
That's just the recency effect. Hill's had better games than Kawhi has so far, and for the most part, he was just as much Spurs' material as Leonard is. I don't even have to elaborate on Blair's rookie year.

No just No. I can remember it as much as you do, for sure some people were talking about hill's future with the team, but i don't think there was a unison about that opinion.

Brazil
02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice overall interview

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
last few games I notice Kawhi playing with a mission. He needs to step it up even a few more notches in the playoffs and spurs can actually have a deep run

I feel like some of it was slowed down due to his injury. I'm sure the coaching staff is working on some things with him.

BatManu20
02-15-2013, 06:56 PM
The kid's confident as hell. I love it. He's got a quiet confidence though. It's not like he walks around bragging about it. He was asked a question, and he answered it confidently. Kid's gonna be a star!

hooperflash
02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
We already discussed Kawhi's statements this morning though :dramaquee
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209229&page=2

Gotta love that we have a decent future to look forward to, unlike the LOL Angeles Lakers.. I hope Dwight leaves! :lol

Chinook
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
No just No. I can remember it as much as you do, for sure some people were talking about hill's future with the team, but i don't think there was a unison about that opinion.

And there's not unison about Leonard's future. Others have backed me up on this too. There are threads on this forum from two years ago where people were wondering if the Spurs should trade Parker and keep Hill. People thought Blair was going to finally be the big next to Duncan. It's okay to deny those opinions now, and it's okay to say you never had that opinion, but don't try to pretend like this situation with Leonard is different. It's not, and it won't be until he signs an extension in a couple of years.

Brazil
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
I just saw tp in his media day. Nice interview with some major props to Tim :tu

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
And there's not unison about Leonard's future. Others have backed me up on this too. There are threads on this forum from two years ago where people where wondering if the Spurs should trade Parker and keep Hill. People thought Blair was going to finally be the big next to Duncan. It's okay to deny those opinions now, and it's okay to say you never had that opinion, but don't try to pretend like this situation with Leonard is different. It's not, and it won't be until he signs an extension in a couple of years.

I do think this time around is different for a couple of reasons.

1. Kawhi has the playoff performance that hill didn't have
2. Kawhi has had bigger responsibilities.

Chinook
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I do think this time around is different for a couple of reasons.

1. Kawhi has the playoff performance that hill didn't have
2. Kawhi has had bigger responsibilities.

So you have forgotten.

Hill pretty much beat Dallas in game 5 in 2010 by himself. He scored 29 points. He was great that whole series before he got destroyed by Nash in the CSF. Leonard has yet to have that type of game.

Hill and Kawhi have/had similar responsibilities: Hit threes, defend the other team's best perimeter player and get steals. Before you try to act like Kawhi is more dynamic on offenses, Hill was the starting point-guard for the Dallas series and for the end of the regular season. Leonard has more responsibilities than Danny Green, but he does not have more than Hill had.

Mel_13
02-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Somewhere in the archives is a thread from Blair's rookie season in which people seriously entertained the notion that Blair was the second best player to come out of the 2009 draft.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
So you have forgotten.

Hill pretty much beat Dallas in game 5 in 2010 by himself. He scored 29 points. He was great that whole series before he got destroyed by Nash in the CSF. Leonard has yet to have that type of game.

Hill and Kawhi have/had similar responsibilities: Hit threes, defend the other team's best perimeter player and get steals. Before you try to act like Kawhi is more dynamic on offenses, Hill was the starting point-guard for the Dallas series and for the end of the regular season. Leonard has more responsibilities than Danny Green, but he does not have more than Hill had.

You're equating hills performance to kwahi when clearly we we'rnt even contenders that year.

Chinook
02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
You're equating hills performance to kwahi when clearly we we'rnt even contenders that year.

Hindsight. It's clear you're just going to keep making excuses. I want Kawhi to be different than Hill and Blair, but there's no reason to think it will be yet. In two years, things will be clearer.

SupremeGuy
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM
I remember Hill > Parker and Blair = Next Barkley.LMAO... sad to say I remember that stuff too

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Hindsight. It's clear you're just going to keep making excuses. I want Kawhi to be different than Hill and Blair, but there's no reason to think it will be yet. In two years, things will be clearer.

Well, Kawhi is younger, and coming out of college was known. He was only acquired through trade (lucky that Pacers had such a good spot and already had Granger and George). Kawhi's already got the best physical attributes. His work ethic is one thing that is a knowable quantity. He might not be the scorer that Hill is in his years (so far), but he's already shown presence in playoffs, in tight games that mean something. Hill looks like he's about at his ceiling while Kawhi looks like he has the potential to get higher.

Although Hill had his moments, they were far and few, and that was a good reason to move him (for what he'd get paid). He had chances to step up to a new level in his later years, but faltered. He's still a quality player and would still be good for the Spurs in some areas, but Kawhi already has a greater grasp on how to fit in the system.

Of the 3, Kawhi/Blair/Hill, Kawhi has the potential to be the star. The other two do not.

Chinook
02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, Kawhi is younger, and coming out of college was known. He was only acquired through trade (lucky that Pacers had such a good spot and already had Granger and George). Kawhi's already got the best physical attributes. His work ethic is one thing that is a knowable quantity. He might not be the scorer that Hill is in his years (so far), but he's already shown presence in playoffs, in tight games that mean something. Hill looks like he's about at his ceiling while Kawhi looks like he has the potential to get higher.

Although Hill had his moments, they were far and few, and that was a good reason to move him (for what he'd get paid). He had chances to step up to a new level in his later years, but faltered. He's still a quality player and would still be good for the Spurs in some areas, but Kawhi already has a greater grasp on how to fit in the system.

Of the 3, Kawhi/Blair/Hill, Kawhi has the potential to be the star. The other two do not.

Kawhi can be a great player in the NBA, but whether or not he's going to be the face of the franchise is really up in the air. We're talking about possibly five or six years down the road when Parker retires. It's only about an even chance that he's even on the team then.

I'd love to see it, though. I'd love to see Green still with the team as a seasoned, consistent player. Hell, I hope Joseph is still around and has reached his potential.

Samr.
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Question is what type of player do you think he will become? What current-star would you compare him to?

DapDaGenius
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Ugh...people around the league have been mentioning how Kawhi really wants to be something great in NBA. This is old news to me.

Also Kawhi should be setting goals to be a regular all-star and the future of the Spurs. Especially after Pop said "I think he’s going to be a star. And as time goes on, he’ll be the face of the Spurs, I think."(Like what was referenced to in the video).

Chinook
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Question is what type of player do you think he will become? What current-star would you compare him to?

Danny Granger's offense will Paul George's defense? If Leonard gets there, then the Spurs have a good piece, but not the main piece, to a championship puzzle.

He could easy end up like Ariza, though. People forget how good Trevor was with the Lakers.

KL2
02-15-2013, 07:44 PM
And there's not unison about Leonard's future. Others have backed me up on this too. There are threads on this forum from two years ago where people were wondering if the Spurs should trade Parker and keep Hill. People thought Blair was going to finally be the big next to Duncan. It's okay to deny those opinions now, and it's okay to say you never had that opinion, but don't try to pretend like this situation with Leonard is different. It's not, and it won't be until he signs an extension in a couple of years.

You can't compare Blair and Hill to Leonard, they are both severely undersized for their position. At age 21 Kawhi is already one of the biggest and strongest SF's in the NBA, he's also got great length. Unlike them he can guard not 1, 2, or 3 positions but 4!

Hill is also SG, a position where guys are a dime a dozen, Leonard on the other hand is a SF you should know just how hard it is to get a good SF, it took SA around 5 years! Leonard's size allows him to score over nearly any defender, and board on them too. Hill? Not so much.

Don't forget Leonard was playing very well up until his injury, just now he's starting to get into rhythm.

DapDaGenius
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
"How big are mah fingers? I'm not sure" :rollin

LOL That was funny.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2011/06/holly-kawhi-leonard.png

Chinook
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
You can't compare Blair and Hill to Leonard, they are both severely undersized for their position. At age 21 Kawhi is already one of the biggest and strongest SF's in the NBA, he's also got great length. Unlike them he can guard not 1, 2, or 3 positions but 4!

Hill is also SG, a position where guys are a dime a dozen, Leonard on the other hand is a SF you should know just how hard it is to get a good SF, it took SA around 5 years! Leonard's size allows him to score over nearly any defender, and board on them too. Hill? Not so much.

Don't forget Leonard was playing very well up until his injury, just now he's starting to get into rhythm.

I hope you're right. But in two years, you may be running from that opinion just like a lot of people are running from their previous Blair support.

Also, Hill has become the type of point-guard that Indiana needs. He's not undersized anymore.

slick'81
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
kawhai is playing great u can see his confidence growing daily.He and splitter r keys to the spurs postseason run

therealtruth
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Hairston could maybe have had a chance to develop if he got a chance like Green did.

Kool Bob Love
02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
The power's in his hair Spurs fans. :toast

Cklbmk
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
It's easy to say those things now. The truth was, there were a lot of people who thought like playblair does now.

I wish I joined these forums earlier then I would have had a field day with Blair :P

Obstructed_View
02-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I remember people laughing at Jerry Rice when he said something similar.

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 08:39 PM

wtf do you need a source for?

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Kawhi is not going to be an allstar... that's like the dumbest thing I have ever heard....he might ave 15 ppg one day but an allstar? yeah right...

chapnis
02-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Kawhi is not going to be an allstar... that's like the dumbest thing I have ever heard....he might ave 15 ppg one day but an allstar? yeah right...

Not sure if you are joking or not. I can easily see Kawhi becoming a 20/8 kind of player.

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Not sure if you are joking or not. I can easily see Kawhi becoming a 20/8 kind of player.

Really? How is that?

Again, kawhi as well as the rest of the spurs look good because Parker is carrying these dudes...

Do you have your Spurs flag on your car yet?

monkeypunk
02-15-2013, 08:47 PM

If he can average 15 points, 7-10 rebounds, 2-3 steals and a block here or there, he will be an All Star regardless of what our friendly neighborhood midget might say. :lol

capek
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Really? How is that?

Again, kawhi as well as the rest of the spurs look good because Parker is carrying these dudes...

:lol He's averaging 10 as the 5th option on the team. And in games where Pop sits the big three, Kawhi actually gets to be the first option, and has shown he could be putting up blue chip numbers like any other of the top rookies in the league if he played on a shit team and was the first option every night.

So Kawhi said the dumbest thing you'd ever heard, and you said the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The one constancy there is you, ya dumb fuck.

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
If he can average 15 points, 7-10 rebounds, 2-3 steals and a block here or there, he will be an All Star regardless of what our friendly neighborhood midget might say. :lol

how in the fuck is he going to average 15 and 10 special ed? He makes what he gets now because all the fuckin attention is on parker, Duncan, and manu you fucking illegit retard....

put your money where your mouth is napoleon.....

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 11:06 PM
:lol He's averaging 10 as the 5th option on the team. And in games where Pop sits the big three, Kawhi actually gets to be the first option, and has shown he could be putting up blue chip numbers like any other of the top rookies in the league if he played on a shit team and was the first option every night.

So Kawhi said the dumbest thing you'd ever heard, and you said the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The one constancy there is you, ya dumb fuck.

you're a waste of oxygen....put your money where your mouth is df.

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM

how is that? he can't dribble, he has no postup game, he is skinny....oh let me guess...he can hit a open shot like matt bonner.....

dude, he is going to be a better than average player but a fuckin all star? really?

dbreiden83080
02-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Why? Kid believes in himself.

bluebellmaniac
02-15-2013, 11:13 PM

He just might be...

Buddy Holly
02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Damn, the little midget man is angry. What'd you guys do to piss off the dwarf? Put the peanut butter on the top shelf?

SequSpur
02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
7 * Carmelo Anthony (Knicks) F 6-8 230 05/29/84 Syracuse/USA
6 * LeBron James (Heat) F 6-8 250 12/30/84 St. Vincent-St. Mary HS (OH)/USA
5 * Kevin Garnett (Celtics) C-F 6-11 253 05/19/76 Farragut Academy HS (IL)/USA
9 | Rajon Rondo (Celtics) G 6-1 186 02/22/86 Kentucky/USA
3 * Dwyane Wade (Heat) G 6-4 220 01/17/82 Marquette/USA
1 Chris Bosh (Heat) C-F 6-11 235 03/24/84 Georgia Tech/USA
6 # Tyson Chandler (Knicks) C 7-1 240 10/02/82 Dominguez HS (CA)/USA
9 Luol Deng (Bulls) F 6-9 220 04/16/85 Duke/Sudan
24 # Paul George (Pacers) G-F 6-8 221 05/02/90 Fresno State/USA
11 # Jrue Holiday (76ers) G 6-4 205 06/12/90 UCLA/USA
2 # Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers) G 6-3 191 03/23/92 Duke/USA
11 # Brook Lopez (Nets) C 7-0 265 04/01/88 Stanford/USA
13 # Joakim Noah (Bulls)

Here is the list of this years allstars....so somewhere down the line, you think Kawhi is going to be in a crowd like this? hell no..... I'm sorry, you guys aren't seeing fuckin reality...

Buddy Holly
02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
how is that? he can't dribble, he has no postup game, he is skinny....oh let me guess...he can hit a open shot like matt bonner.....

dude, he is going to be a better than average player but a fuckin all star? really?

He can't dribble? Did they disconnect your cable or satalite before the season started? You sound like a homeless person in a New York subway. Crazy.

Buddy Holly
02-15-2013, 11:21 PM
13 # Joakim Noah (Bulls)

Here is the list of this years allstars....so somewhere down the line, you think Kawhi is going to be in a crowd like this? hell no..... I'm sorry, you guys aren't seeing fuckin reality...

The east team? Oh, you're trolling. Good job.

capek
02-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Damn, the little midget man is angry. What'd you guys do to piss off the dwarf? Put the peanut butter on the top shelf?

Holiday season is over. No more work as an elf in Macy's Santa's workshop.

Kool Bob Love
02-15-2013, 11:25 PM
13 # Joakim Noah (Bulls)

http://i.qkme.me/36g3mm.jpg

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Kawhi can be a great player in the NBA, but whether or not he's going to be the face of the franchise is really up in the air. We're talking about possibly five or six years down the road when Parker retires. It's only about an even chance that he's even on the team then.

I'd love to see it, though. I'd love to see Green still with the team as a seasoned, consistent player. Hell, I hope Joseph is still around and has reached his potential.

He was great in his first season and has been pretty great this season. He already has an influential impact on the D, much like Paul George. That to me is big already. The guy is basically a senior in college, and his 3rd year was without a training camp and a little bit of training with coaching staff. I'd say both him and Paul George are the next wings of the future.

Since Spurs likely won't get as lucky as Kawhi, he'll probably have a better chance of being on the team than most.

To me, the level at which he'll finish is up in the air, but that's a good thing. So far, when Kawhi wanted something and he's gotten it. He wanted to be a better shooter and he's making it happen. Other attributes have improved, such as his D (which does get overrated a tad by fans here). It's already apparent that he's got a higher ceiling than Hill so that was a good trade.

Spurs have the coaching staff for a guy like Kawhi. That to me, is the biggest advantage of them all.

As far as CJ, I think he will be with the Spurs next year. Neal/Mills were "now" stop gaps, but CJ gives them a Hill-like guard who can score and pass (run the offense). With Nando, they become a very dynamic set of guards. Then you have Green as well, who likely will be here through his contract (at the very least). All of these players fit the Spurs paradigm very well.

Pasta Batman
02-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Danny Granger's offense will Paul George's defense? If Leonard gets there, then the Spurs have a good piece, but not the main piece, to a championship puzzle.

He could easy end up like Ariza, though. People forget how good Trevor was with the Lakers.

He's already better than Ariza. Part of the problem with Ariza is he's never had a consistent shot. He's more athletic, but that's his main advantage over a lot of players.

monkeypunk
02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
how in the fuck is he going to average 15 and 10 special ed? He makes what he gets now because all the fuckin attention is on parker, Duncan, and manu you fucking illegit retard....

Seriously, SequSmurf, he's getting 10 now but getting more touches. More touches means more points, more points means more minutes, more minutes means more rebounds. He's already capable of 2-3 steals and a block here or there so it's just a matter of time before he's hitting those numbers. Add all this up and divide by your mom's ass and I'm predicting 2-5 AS selections over the course of his career, assuming he stays healthy.

And what the fucking shit does "illegit" mean? :rollin

DMC
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
After Tim and Manu retire, what else is there to overcome?

Russo21
02-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Kawhi = Scottie Pippen :chestbump

racm
02-16-2013, 12:38 AM

Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

angelbelow
02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Great to hear, sky's the limit for him.

capek
02-16-2013, 12:45 AM

Ya dude! BUT, Kawhi won't have a Jordan who's shadow he has to live in. I've always liked to imagine what Pippen could have accomplished with the chance to be the "man" while in his prime. Definitely shades of Kawhi there, once Timmy and Manu retire. So loving the opportunity to watch him progress first hand. :cheer

TimmehC
02-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Pippen?

That would be amazing.

racm
02-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Ya dude! BUT, Kawhi won't have a Jordan who's shadow he has to live in. I've always liked to imagine what Pippen could have accomplished with the chance to be the "man" while in his prime. Definitely shades of Kawhi there, once Timmy and Manu retire. So loving the opportunity to watch him progress first hand. :cheer

Pippen as the man led his team to 55 wins and took the eventual Eastern Champs to 7 games. Jordan couldn't win a playoff series until Pippen was drafted.

capek
02-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It's a high bar, no doubt. Very high bar, Pippen was an absolute beast. But with the tools Kawhi has show he possesses, and with how fast he's shown to learn and improve aspects of his game, imo Pippen is the best model to predict where Kawhi might go. A Pippen ceiling is totally justified imho

racm
02-16-2013, 01:11 AM
It's a high bar, no doubt. Very high bar, Pippen was an absolute beast. But with the tools Kawhi has show he possesses, and with how fast he's shown to learn and improve aspects of his game, imo Pippen is the best model to predict where Kawhi might go. A Pippen ceiling is totally justified imho

I like the kid, but let's wait and see. :toast

Jordanobili2320
02-16-2013, 01:18 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/kawhi-leonard-an-unassuming-star-in-the-making/

hoopsword article all about Kahwi!

spurs1990
02-16-2013, 01:29 AM
In five years when he's 26 years old he'll have plenty of opportunity to carry the bulk of shots, assuming the Spurs don't land a premium scorer in the interim.

What's not so clear is will the Spurs be a contending team, a prerequisite to even sniff an all-star roster.

chapnis
02-16-2013, 01:42 AM
In five years when he's 26 years old he'll have plenty of opportunity to carry the bulk of shots, assuming the Spurs don't land a premium scorer in the interim.

What's not so clear is will the Spurs be a contending team, a prerequisite to even sniff an all-star roster.

Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard beg to differ.

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 02:04 AM

We aren't really sure. Right now, teams are in transition. Spurs are one of the only "older" teams that still are capable. Lakers/Celtics/Pistons (done a few years ago) are all a thing of the past.

Aside from OKC and the Clippers, there exist question marks for the future. Indy has a strong potential with Paul George. Portland (if they could stay healthy) might put something together. Maybe Grizz (but ZBo will be gone).

polandprzem
02-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Stone cold bastard !

:D

99 Problems
02-16-2013, 02:34 AM
The equal of George now. Just has not been given the green light by Pop and frankly no need to. They been working on his game since summer league. He'll get more responsibility come playoff time. If this kid was at Fakers they'd be marketing him as the new LeBrian.

mathbzh
02-16-2013, 03:25 AM

You may be right and statistics says you are probably right.
But it's good that Kawhi think he can get there (At least if he realises he needs to work).

Who would have imagine Parker would become some day a legit (in a world with no Lebron) MVP candidate?
TP was probably the only one. He just had speed but added something to his game each year.
With the same drive, Diaw would have been an All Star.

John B
02-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Kawhi for sure will be an All Star. Manu and TD will soon retire. The Spurs need another All Star caliber to run with TP and KL to remain an elite team. Would it be Splitter or someone coming from a trade? I hope the FO are addressing this when they trade Blair and maybe Jackson's expiring contract for maybe a Josh Smith.

sehui
02-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Idiots thinking Kawhi can attain Pippen level. Good god, stop making Spurs fans look like bad homers.

Kawhi is good, I can see with the right development he can make a couple all-star games. If Kawhi was our number 1 option, we will never see a championship.

acoelho1
02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
KL's development has been extraordinary in only a couple of years out of college. He will definitely make many all star games.. why.. because he will be an elite defender and a top rebounder for his position. Secondly, he lives basketball and from what has been said by the coaches, he has a superstar's work ethic.

dunkman
02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Pippen strated slowly too it took him some seasons to be all-star, but he was an all-time great. If Kawhi can have a career like TP, it would be great too.

Pop
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Seriously, SequSmurf, he's getting 10 now but getting more touches. More touches means more points, more points means more minutes, more minutes means more rebounds. He's already capable of 2-3 steals and a block here or there so it's just a matter of time before he's hitting those numbers. Add all this up and divide by your mom's ass and I'm predicting 2-5 AS selections over the course of his career, assuming he stays healthy.

And what the fucking shit does "illegit" mean? :rollin

So 2 all star appearances would be the same as being "a regular all star"?

Pop
02-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Idiots thinking Kawhi can attain Pippen level. Good god, stop making Spurs fans look like bad homers.

Kawhi is good, I can see with the right development he can make a couple all-star games. If Kawhi was our number 1 option, we will never see a championship.

Exactly, lol at a Pippen who won't be shadowed by a Jordan, wtf am I reading???

Kawhi has a long way to go, I think a big thing for him would be to play way closer to the basket, it would allow him to play to his strength, rebounding is a big part of his skillset. That's one of the reason I wanted Garnett if possible, because he'd give Kawhi the possibility to stay close to the basket.

GrandeDavid
02-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Great news. The first step in becoming an All-Star is to believe in yourself. Kawhi is humble and accepts whatever role is necessary but he also dreams big. Good combination :tu

I agree entirely. It's great to hear that he believes in his tremendous upside but what an additional bonus to hear him state that he wants to remain a Spur long term. He has a phenomenal attitude and I'm hoping that the Spurs don't go through any bottom out period but transition into a new era as seamlessly as possible, obviously slipping a bit for a few seasons but nonetheless avoiding consecutive losing seasons. Hopefully the system stays the same even after Pop retires. But Kawhi Leonard is a nice future foundation.

Thomas82
02-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Currently, there are just 3 players in the NBA that are shooting 49% from the floor, 40% from 3 point land, and 83% in free throws......Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, and Kawhi Leonard. #truestory

k_nguyen93
02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Currently, there are just 3 players in the NBA that are shooting 49% from the floor, 40% from 3 point land, and 83% in free throws......Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, and Kawhi Leonard. #truestory

Source: http://www.hoopsworld.com/kawhi-leonard-an-unassuming-star-in-the-making/

Mel_13
02-16-2013, 10:32 AM

How about that.

And look what happens when you adjust the numbers to 49%/39%/82%:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2013&year_max=2013&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.49&c2stat=fg3_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=.39&c3stat=ft_pct&c3comp=gt&c3val=.82&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=mp

Bill_Brasky
02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
People need to stop trying to make comparisons and just let Kawhi be Kawhi:downspin:

jag
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
“I think he’s going to be a star,” Popovich said last summer. “And as time goes on, he’ll be the face of the Spurs, I think.”

His coach doesn't think it's so crazy.

will_spurs
02-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Yeah but there were also people (like me) saying that Hill > Parker was completely moronic.

Kawhi's situation is different. He is a legit lottery pick (ok, he was drafted 15, just outside lottery territory, but you know hat I mean), he doesn't have a complicated health record like Blair, he's not a tweener like Hill. He's a legit SF, defensive-minded, right now playing a strict role on the team but showing flashes of brilliance when let loose. I'm not saying he's going to be an All-Star, but at this stage it's certainly not ridiculous to think so.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah but there were also people (like me) saying that Hill > Parker was completely moronic.

Kawhi's situation is different. He is a legit lottery pick (ok, he was drafted 15, just outside lottery territory, but you know hat I mean), he doesn't have a complicated health record like Blair, he's not a tweener like Hill. He's a legit SF, defensive-minded, right now playing a strict role on the team but showing flashes of brilliance when let loose. I'm not saying he's going to be an All-Star, but at this stage it's certainly not ridiculous to think so.

I'm not saying it is. I simply made a comment that Hill, Blair and Hairston (of all people) were saying the same things back in Blair's rookie year.

Then people went off on how no one thought that Hill and Blair (we all agreed Hairston) were ever really going to be good. So the conversation has sort of devolved into people thinking that I'm criticizing Leonard when I was just stating the reality of professional sports. It's rare to see an NBA player stay with the same team for more than 5-7 years.

Personally, I think Leonard is a good player who can become really good. But I don't think he'll ever be the face of the Spurs (or any other organization), unless the Spurs are a bad team and Leonard is forced into the spotlight. If the Spurs can get a couple of more players with Leonard's potential in the next couple of years, I think the team has a good future.

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I simply made a comment that Hill and Blair and Hairston (of all people) were saying the same things back in Blair's rookie year.

Only gnsf were saying such things. Of course some clueless people on a message board will post retarded things. If you talked to any spurs fan in person they would laugh their ass off if you said Hill > Parker or Hairston was going to be an All-Star.

SpursTalk doesn't accurately represent the majority of Spurs fans.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Only gnsf were saying such things. Of course some clueless people on a message board will post retarded things. If you talked to any spurs fan in person they would laugh their ass off if you said Hill > Parker or Hairston was going to be an All-Star.

SpursTalk doesn't accurately represent the majority of Spurs fans.

The part you quoted was me saying that the players themselves made the same type of quotes as Kawhi himself did. That part had nothing to do with this board.

Brazil
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
How about that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2013&year_max=2013&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.49&c2stat=fg3_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=.39&c3stat=ft_pct&c3comp=gt&c3val=.82&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=mp

Now that's something :tu

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
The part you quoted was me saying that the players themselves made the same type of quotes as Kawhi himself did. That part had nothing to do with this board.

Ok. Here:

playblair
02-16-2013, 02:20 PM
haters ............. hill replaced parker in the starting lineup ..............

haters ......... blair led spurs back to back #1 seeds ................

Chinook
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Ok. Here:

I know what I said. And I agree that most rational folks probably didn't agree that Hill was better than Parker or that Blair was the next Barkley.

But that's not the point of my initial statement. Most people thought that Blair and Hill had potential and a future with the Spurs. I wasn't on this forum back then, so I have no idea what "GNSFs" were saying. From the archives, I just see that those were very popular threads.

Again, I was talking about similarities between quotes, and then people respond that there's this huge gulf between Kawhi and the other young players, that no one ever thought Hill and Blair were going to be good and that Kawhi is almost certain to be a star. Then I say that Kawhi is probably going to max out as a good player, but not a star.

Before Hill showed that he wasn't going to develop into a good point in San Antonio, and before people realized Blair wasn't really going to work on his fixable issues after he got drafted, people were excited about their potential. For all we know, Leonard never gets better than he is now. If that happens, people are going to be running from those opinions, too.

Embedded
02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
He doesn't chest-pound, and he doesn't have to be the center of attention, I like it. If thinking he can be an all-star one day drives him, let him state it! Mr. Leonard really doesn't have a me-first mentality. You didn't see him pounding his chest after he hit that final 3 against Cleveland. A JR Smith would have been demanding everybody look at him. Did you see JR Smith at that kids' game, demanding the ball? Even kids don't want to pass a ball to a Black Hole.

SpurPadre
02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
So 2 all star appearances would be the same as being "a regular all star"?

It is if you're Manu, who's been in the AS game twice but has been snubbed two other times while also sacrificing more AS trips because of his bench role. None of those personal setbacks keep Manu from being a regular all star caliber player.

SpurPadre
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Kawhi was not being cocky in saying what he said. True, alot of athletes like to say they're being confident when they're really being cocky but not in this case. As others have mentioned, this is Kawhi just wanting to believe in himself and reach for as high as he can. Trading Hill to get him was the best thing this team has done since winning the Championship in '07 and hopefully, he'll help add to those 4 titles and have a great long career for the Spurs.

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Again, I was talking about similarities between quotes, and then people respond that there's this huge gulf between Kawhi and the other young players, that no one ever thought Hill and Blair were going to be good and that Kawhi is almost certain to be a star.

You're making it sound like their was just as much hype and excitement around guys like Blair, Hairston and Hill as their is around Kawhi. I don't care how many threads were started by 15 year olds on a message board, very few credible Spurs fans who actually know basketball (there's a lot of them not on this forum believe it or not) thought that those three guys could be anything close to what Kawhi can be. Hill being the closest but even most Spurs fans had major concerns about his future as well. Kawhi is a total different situation compared to those other three guys. Not only do fans see Kawhi's potential but so do coaches and players around the league who have been constantly singing his praises for the last year and half.

Popovich calling Hill "his favorite player" is a lot different then him calling Kawhi "the future face of the franchise".

therealtruth
02-16-2013, 04:10 PM
It is if you're Manu, who's been in the AS game twice but has been snubbed two other times while also sacrificing more AS trips because of his bench role. None of those personal setbacks keep Manu from being a regular all star caliber player.

Pop is pretty much the reason Manu doesn't have more Allstar appearances. Pop originally started bringing him of the bench because Finley was useless of the bench. Then it seems he kept him there because of injury concerns.

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Pop is pretty much the reason Manu doesn't have more Allstar appearances. Pop originally started bringing him of the bench because Finley was useless of the bench. Then it seems he kept him there because of injury concerns.

Which was smart, since injuries have controlled some of his Spurs career during some seasons.

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 04:12 PM
You're making it sound like their was just as much hype and excitement around guys like Blair, Hairston and Hill as their is around Kawhi. I don't care how many threads were started by 15 year olds on a message board, very few credible Spurs fans who actually know basketball (there's a lot of them not on this forum believe it or not) thought that those three guys could be anything close to what Kawhi can be. Hill being the closest but even most Spurs fans had major concerns about his future as well. Kawhi is a total different situation compared to those other three guys. Not only do fans see Kawhi's potential but so do coaches and players around the league who have been constantly signing his praises for the last year and half.

Popovich calling Hill "his favorite player" is a lot different then him calling Kawhi "the future face of the franchise".

For one, Hill's ball handling improved, but very slowly. And he's still not really a PG even to this day.

SpurPadre
02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Which was smart, since injuries have controlled some of his Spurs career during some seasons.

Yes, to an extent it has helped Manu possibly extend his career but he's also a rhythm player who needs to get more consistent playing time for the team to reap the most benefits out of him. His minutes didn't go up that much last postseason until Pop reinserted him in the starting lineup when the Thunder backed us into a corner we ultimately couldn't get out of. I hope this coming postseason, Pop gives Manu some more minutes to work with so he can more effectively do his thing.

Richie
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
If Manu cared about NBA accolades like All Star appearances he could have come over when he was 22 instead of waiting until he was 25, or he could even have entered the draft earlier and really worked hard on coming to the NBA ala Dirk who got drafted at 20.

I'm pretty sure he'll take his 2 all star appearances and 3 rings over being a perennial all star on a bad team.

SpurPadre
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
If Manu cared about NBA accolades like All Star appearances he could have come over when he was 22 instead of waiting until he was 25, or he could even have entered the draft earlier and really worked hard on coming to the NBA ala Dirk who got drafted at 20.

I'm pretty sure he'll take his 2 all star appearances and 3 rings over being a perennial all star on a bad team.

Agreed except he'll still make the HOF and he'll finish with more than 3 rings, thank you very much.

SupremeGuy
02-16-2013, 05:08 PM
How about that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2013&year_max=2013&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=fg_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=.49&c2stat=fg3_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=.39&c3stat=ft_pct&c3comp=gt&c3val=.82&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=mpHoly crap! Awesome.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
You're making it sound like their was just as much hype and excitement around guys like Blair, Hairston and Hill as their is around Kawhi. I don't care how many threads were started by 15 year olds on a message board, very few credible Spurs fans who actually know basketball (there's a lot of them not on this forum believe it or not) thought that those three guys could be anything close to what Kawhi can be. Hill being the closest but even most Spurs fans had major concerns about his future as well. Kawhi is a total different situation compared to those other three guys. Not only do fans see Kawhi's potential but so do coaches and players around the league who have been constantly singing his praises for the last year and half.

First, I brought up Hairston because he was in Hill's quote from a couple of years ago. As far as I know, very few if any people thought he was going to be a star.

Second, it's absurd to read all this stuff about credible Spurs fans. None of us have any predictive sway. I know that this board is inundated with crappy threads, but that doesn't mean that most Spurs fans are much more rational than the lot on here. In my experience, most sports fans in general aren't very knowledgeable.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113831&highlight=george+hill+star

That thread is full of people from different degrees of experience having an actually debate on Hill's potential. This was the first thread that I found, but I'm sure that if I were to find some from 2010, there'd be even more people, "credible" and otherwise, who believed Hill had the potential to be a star. I didn't go looking for your opinion on the matter, so I have no reason to believe that you didn't disagree with Hill's proponents even at the height of Hill's stock. But what seems clear is that you're unjustly asserting that only ignorant or less-experience Spurs fans believed Hill or Blair would be impact players.

And Hill has and continues to get praise around the league. He finished tied for second in MIP voting in 2010. The Pacers thought enough of him to trade away three assets and give him $40 Million.

As I said, I want to believe Kawhi will be a star as much as anybody. I have no issue with him saying anything. But it's crazy to be chided by people who want to rewrite the past to make their present positions stronger.

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
But what seems clear is that you're unjustly asserting that only ignorant or less-experience Spurs fans believed Hill or Blair would be impact players.

Lol what? Impact player? I'm "unjustly asserting" that only ignorant or less experienced Spurs fans would believe that Hill is better than Parker or that Blair is Charles Barkely. Not that they could be "impact players". Blair could still very well end up being an impact player in this league. We are talking about Kawhi being an All-Star.

Also, not all fans who wanted to get rid of Parker because we had George Hill wanted to make such move because they believed Hill was better then Parker but because the return we could have received could have helped in other areas of need. Anybody who actually believed at any point in time that Hill was a better player than Parker is indeed ignorant as you stated.

Chinook
02-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Lol what? Impact player? I'm "unjustly asserting" that only ignorant or less experienced Spurs fans would believe that Hill is better than Parker or that Blair is Charles Barkely. Not that they could be "impact players". Blair could still very well end up being an impact player in this league. We are talking about Kawhi being an All-Star.

Sorry for the confusion. I just got tired of writing "star" over and over again. In that thread I linked to, there were people with thousands of posts (although I don't know how many they had then) who were saying Hill was going to be a star, and that the only reason he wasn't going to be a consistent all-star was because he was being blocked by Parker. There was a fair amount of people disagreeing with those takes, though. That was back in 2009; I imagine Hill's stock continued to grow as the season progressed.

Also, not all fans who wanted to get rid of Parker because we had George Hill wanted to make such move because they believed Hill was better then Parker but because the return we could have received could have helped in other areas of need. Anybody who actually believed at any point in time that Hill was a better player than Parker is indeed ignorant as you stated.

Truth. People were talking more about getting a top-five pick than they were about giving Hill the nod. In that thread I linked to, the hot idea du jour was trading Manu for a big, because Hill could replace Ginobili at the two. So, yeah, different levels of rationality on display there.

szkorhetz
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
How about that.

Scary.

Frank Dux
02-16-2013, 06:14 PM
:lol I remember Blair the next Barkley :lmao

we sum pathetic homers up in here
I also remember when Blair was technically a better rebounder than Rodman.:lmao

SenorSpur
02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I listened to the entire interview, including the part where Kawhi made those remarks. I didn't detect one hint of arrogance from him at all. It's almost as though he made those statements in the context of being a goal for himself. I like it and I'm not mad at him for uttering those statements. I can easily see him eventually achieving those goals for himself and for the Spurs - and I hope he does. Besides, if Pop predicts the same, it would be hard to argue against it.

HI-FI
02-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I loved hearing these comments from Kawhi. I don't think he was being arrogant at all. He sounded confident in his abilities and probably feels even more confident after Pop's comments on Kawhi's future. I think the awkwardness in his answer is because Kawhi is a very guarded, introspective person and it probably came out a bit strange, but personally I want to hear comments like this when it pertains to his future with the Spurs.

Capt Bringdown
02-16-2013, 08:43 PM

That must have been a lousy technique.

Whether or not he becomes a franchise cornerstone, and barring injury, Leonard's going to be in the league a long time. Blair will be out of the league soon.

weeks
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM
i dunno, i wonder sometimes if kawhi and pop don't get along. pop kinda gave reporters a look and said 'kawhi doesnt like talking to me much'

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
i dunno, i wonder sometimes if kawhi and pop don't get along. pop kinda gave reporters a look and said 'kawhi doesnt like talking to me much'

smh

therealtruth
02-16-2013, 11:50 PM

It would be ironic if the Spurs trade Blair and he finally figures it out and goes on to become the next Rodman.

capek
02-16-2013, 11:51 PM

You should work on your ability to distinguish what's worth wondering about tbh

The Reckoning
02-17-2013, 06:12 AM
so what if he has goals and something to work for?

id only care if he said "im playing for that big contract!"

Pasta Batman
02-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Blair has to drastically change a bunch of things (footwork, mechanics, learn a bunch of fundamentals, attitude) if he's going to ever do that. He should watch how Kevin Love uses his body to get rebounds.

z0sa
02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't like this...

Haven't seen or heard much Kawhi huh?

capek
02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Blair has to drastically change a bunch of things (footwork, mechanics, learn a bunch of fundamentals, attitude) if he's going to ever do that. He should watch how Kevin Love uses his body to get rebounds.

http://www.cheshirecatstudios.com/forum/resources/samuel-l-jackson-read-the-mother-fucking-thread-before-you-m/2351

longhorn
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
The hell was that question about his father being killed for?

cheguevara
02-18-2013, 04:04 PM
You should work on your ability to distinguish what's worth wondering about tbh

:lol

100%duncan
02-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Truth bomb.

apalisoc_9
11-11-2014, 01:47 PM
bump

Floyd Pacquiao
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/applause.gif hopefully pop doesn't make him go back to a spot up shooter role in a parker led offense. I want the Leonard led era to begin

hater
11-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Really? How is that?

:lol

apalisoc_9
08-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Nigga wins FMVP and DPOY after his comments :wow

Damn