PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio: Great interview with Pop

Uriel
02-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Pop discusses being coach of the All-star team, compares this year's team to last year's, explains why he thought we lost to Oklahoma CIty, and gives his thoughts on our odds of winning it all this time around.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8952460

BatManu20
02-16-2013, 03:43 AM
:tu

Spur|n|Austin
02-16-2013, 03:57 AM
That's some good, Pop right there. :toast

Pasta Batman
02-16-2013, 04:03 AM
That was solid.

chapnis
02-16-2013, 04:34 AM
"I don't wanna win 20 games in a row". Makes me think about that Detroit game haha.

Fireball
02-16-2013, 04:42 AM
good stuff ... he knows the statistics

wildbill2u
02-16-2013, 08:30 PM
This was a very unusual interview for POP. No sarcasm or humor. Just the straight dope on every question. It was the first time I ever heard an interview where Pop gave his real opinion on last year's team vs. this year's team without the little gibes.

DesignatedT
02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Highly recommend listening to this interview if you haven't yet.

capek
02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Dude is an empiricist per par. Very smart dude. Hope some great writer cajoles him into a co-writen autiobiography some day.

Fabbs
02-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Pop....explains why he thought we lost to Oklahoma CIty,..
If anyone can write it down please do.
I don't have 8 Pop minutes right now. Might later.

SpursRock20
02-16-2013, 09:27 PM

He said that we peaked at the wrong time, and our bench wasn't ready for the playoffs. He said we also weren't ready for a long series.

HI-FI
02-16-2013, 10:55 PM
This was a very unusual interview for POP. No sarcasm or humor. Just the straight dope on every question. It was the first time I ever heard an interview where Pop gave his real opinion on last year's team vs. this year's team without the little gibes.
co-signed.

that was a great interview. even though I love his grumpy, asshole remarks to reporters, I really wish I could hear more of this straightforward side of him. You can tell how passionate and intelligent he is about the game in this context.

It's going to suck when he retires.:depressed

therealtruth
02-16-2013, 11:48 PM
He said that we peaked at the wrong time, and our bench wasn't ready for the playoffs. He said we also weren't ready for a long series.

Especially after he destroyed the bench and rode the veterans too hard.

CGD
02-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Great interview. Reminds me of his tone during an interview he did during a summer league game last year. Candid, open, and insightful.

EricB
02-16-2013, 11:54 PM

Yeah so very busy I'm sure.

timvp
02-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Hell of an interview. Great find :tu

Splits
02-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Pop flat out says he was trying to tank games during the 20 win streak. Amazing admission, I bet he was ecstatic with the recent DET loss. We STers have all "known" this but I've never heard him say it straight-up like that.

racm
02-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Pop flat out says he was trying to tank games during the 20 win streak. Amazing admission, I bet he was ecstatic with the recent DET loss. We STers have all "known" this but I've never heard him say it straight-up like that.

I think more than anything else it showed that the defense wouldn't be elite until TD returned.

SA210
02-17-2013, 07:35 AM
One of the better interviews I've heard from Pop, pretty open about some things which was very interesting, but in case I missed it, correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think he mentioned Tiago at all as a plus to this season? Did I miss something? wtf lol

BigTex342006
02-17-2013, 11:22 AM
I was also surprised he didn't mention Splitter's improved play. He probably would have if the interview went longer or pressed about it. He mentioned Neal as one of the guys that are better this year, specifically for "knowing their role". That was somewhat odd for how poor he has played lately.

You can tell that Pop is a different person in a situation like the all-star weekend. He can relax and enjoy himself and the scenerio. When the real games are back, he will be back to business with no time or patience for bull shit or fluff.

This team is more prepared than last year's version. Playing balls-out offensively was some fun basketball to watch, and overwhelmed most teams, especially with the depth, but as usual, it doesn't always translate to playoffs. I like the fact that we have slowed down somewhat and are getting more stops. It is pretty simple....Spurs won't win it all if they aren't a top defensive team. Saying that though, they were pretty damn close to getting to the finals last year. OKC pretty much had to have some unbelievable games to pull it out (Perkins and Obaka going 18-20, Hardin hitting unbelievable shots, etc).

Not going to be easy by any stretch, but they have a pretty good chance at getting back to the finals. Manu's health and play are going to be needed no doubt, and they need to start coming together near the end. I actually think Pop played too many players during the last stretch run last year. The lineup shortens in the playoffs, and your horses get more minutes. I want the rotation normalized and consistent over the last seven games or so preparing for the playoffs. This may be one of the best last shots for getting to the championship series.

DesignatedT
02-17-2013, 11:26 AM
One of the better interviews I've heard from Pop, pretty open about some things which was very interesting, but in case I missed it, correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think he mentioned Tiago at all as a plus to this season? Did I miss something? wtf lol

He has multiple times in other interviews.

timvp
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Pop flat out says he was trying to tank games during the 20 win streak. Amazing admission, I bet he was ecstatic with the recent DET loss. We STers have all "known" this but I've never heard him say it straight-up like that.Yeah, that was a surprising admission. We've all seen games where we're like "WTF Pop wasn't even trying to win that game". I guess that's more than simply a case of a paranoid fan.

One of the better interviews I've heard from Pop, pretty open about some things which was very interesting, but in case I missed it, correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think he mentioned Tiago at all as a plus to this season? Did I miss something? wtf lolWell, to be fair, Pop also didn't call out Tiago by name for being the main example of a bench player who "wasn't ready for the playoffs". If Tiago played half as well as he's playing now against the Thunder, Spurs very well win that series.

polandprzem
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
But Green was the choker

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Interviewer:
"Did your coaching play into the OKC series loss? Anything you would have liked to have done differently?"

We know nuttless San Antone media won't ever ask him but wouldn't that be a doozy question. Yes i know this was espn.

romad_20
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Interviewer:
"Did your coaching play into the OKC series loss? Anything you would have liked to have done differently?"

We know nuttless San Antone media won't ever ask him but wouldn't that be a doozy question. Yes i know this was espn.

It helps that it was Dr Jack Ramsey (I think) asking.

timvp
02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
But Green was the choker

Splitter's D was as bad as Green's O, tbh.

therealtruth
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah, that was a surprising admission. We've all seen games where we're like "WTF Pop wasn't even trying to win that game". I guess that's more than simply a case of a paranoid fan.

Well, to be fair, Pop also didn't call out Tiago by name for being the main example of a bench player who "wasn't ready for the playoffs". If Tiago played half as well as he's playing now against the Thunder, Spurs very well win that series.

Pop certainly played a role in Tiago not being ready. He could have given him more minutes to get ready like he's doing this season. I still don't think DG will be ready enough to start for a championship team. A good defensive team might reduce us to playing 4 on 5 again and then Pop has to start Manu again. Better to get that out of the way now.

polandprzem
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Yup I do not negate this. But overall it was Green that everybody was mad at. And there were few guys that should level their game up rather then play poorly that's why Pop addressed it.

TD 21
02-17-2013, 06:14 PM

I'd have to listen to it again (which I don't feel like doing), but I'm pretty sure it was said tongue in cheek. I don't think he was literally trying to tank games during that streak, I think he was just hoping they'd lose at some point, for law of average purposes.

What I don't get is how he's come to the conclusion that the bench is so much better, when in actuality it's been worse than last season.

freetiago
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
all the guys from last season were mid season pickups or playoff virgins/young guys
Neal had 1 playoff series
Tiago had 1 series that he didnt start til game 5 and ended in 6
Danny Green wasnt even suppose to be on the team but he ended up starting and played his first series
Kawhi- rookie
Diaw- midseason pickup
Jack- midseason pickup
and Bonner the playoff choker

Brunodf
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM

I think u expected too much from a player who was just the 4th big last season tbh.
Pop also didn't make any adjustments to avoid the hack...

Obstructed_View
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
The difference in Pop:

Jack Ramsey <> Mark Jones.

SA210
02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Pop certainly played a role in Tiago not being ready. He could have given him more minutes to get ready like he's doing this season.

Solid D
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
I was thinking along the lines of what wildbill mentioned about Dr. Jack Ramsay. Pop gives Jack much respect...like student to teacher.

Sean Cagney
02-18-2013, 12:10 AM
This is a great interview.

Dingle Barry
02-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Really enjoyable. Wish there was at least one asshole comment though. This just felt like it was probably the T1000 in Pop form.

Mugen
02-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Great stuff from Pop.

Budkin
02-19-2013, 03:51 PM

I doubt he would be like that when Dr. Jack Ramsay is asking him questions just out of admiration and respect.