PDA

View Full Version : Nineteen years ago today: Robinson's quadruple-double

EJFischer
02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
One of only four players to ever manage it. 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks. Hat tip to the Admiral today.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199402170SAS.html

EDIT: Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpT0QdUDIY

freetiago
02-17-2013, 06:21 PM
didnt he almost have a few others within a span of a month
and tim should be in that list tbh
we all know it was 10 not 8

Obstructed_View
02-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Wow. That makes me feel old.

sook
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
looks like a fluke..

j/k, admiral was the real deal.

BatManu20
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Most undervalued Center of all-time.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
After watching that video:

1. For those that didn't see Robinson play, he made spectacular dunks like that on a nightly basis. There probably wasn't anyone who dunked more than he did for several years.

2. Microcosm of Dennis Rodman's career with the Spurs in a single play: Robinson gets a quad double, and Rodman makes a shot that doesn't count and walks around trying to get credit from the crowd for it.

3. :lol Zubaz

4. :lmao Lindsey Hunter "toying with the Spurs" while down 20 with the clock winding down.

5. Still sickens me to see Sean in a Pistons uniform. Glad he was there that night, though.

6. David also had 2 steals, only one turnover, and only one foul in that game.

Slutter McGee
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I was 9 when this happened. I still remember my dad yelling in the living room and thinking he was an idiot.

Slutter McGee

Hemotivo
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
lol @ coach LUCAS

timvp
02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
That was the only game I went to that season. The Alamodome listed points, steals and assists and the H.E.B. Hustle Board had the team total for blocks. I counted along tracking Robinson's blocks as best I could and when he got that final one a preteen timvp was celebrating. People looked at me like I was crazy but I was like seriously David Robinson just got a quadruple-double do you know how rare that is?!?! Nobody really seemed to care ... but then again, Robinson was such a freak of nature at that point in time that he was putting up video game stats game in and game out.

The more gripping conversation around me at the time were the fans trying to figure out if Dennis Rodman had popcorn glued to his head ........

Chomag
02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Drob is everything Dhoward WISHES he could be. IF Drob had a supporting cast like TD I wonder how many more Championships Spurs would have had. Then again if Spurs did they would never have been able to draft Duncan so...ya...

Funny how these things work out.

timvp
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2wcg1eh.jpg

That's one of the most impressive streaks in basketball history, IMO.

Perhaps the most amazing part is that Robinson was playing on a team that probably would have won about 15 games without him. The rest of the starters at the time were Vinny Del Negro, Willie Anderson, Dale Ellis and Terry Cummings :lol

Fifteen might be generous, tbh. But, seriously, how does a bigman do that well with no point guard on the floor? And not only is he putting up monster stats, he won all those games as well.

Obstructed_View
02-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Drob is everything Dhoward WISHES he could be. IF Drob had a supporting cast like TD I wonder how many more Championships Spurs would have had. Then again if Spurs did they would never have been able to draft Duncan so...ya...

Funny how these things work out.

Agree. Robinson dreams of having Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson.

Marco
02-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Ma fav all-time Spur.

99 Problems
02-17-2013, 10:59 PM
I love the footage of him finishing with Navy. The crowd with all those military uniforms there to see him finish up. He was truly a special gift, given to us (basketball fans everywhere) to enjoy, love and admire.

Mr. Body
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
One of only four players to ever manage it. 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks. Hat tip to the Admiral today.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199402170SAS.html

EDIT: Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpT0QdUDIY

Vinny Del Negro posting up Isiah Thomas. :lol

EricB
02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
I remember Sean Elliott looking absolutely miserable in shoot around and during the game.

Whisky Dog
02-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Absolute freak of nature. Too bad we couldn't have had some talent around him in that 91-95 stretch, but he got 2 rings and went out with his last game being an NBA finals clinching win so proper ending for a great player.

Splits
02-18-2013, 03:10 AM
OT but damn if Rodman and Artest aren't the same dude. So many similar (hateful) mannerisms.

alamo50
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Hell yeah.

racm
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
OT but damn if Rodman and Artest aren't the same dude. So many similar (hateful) mannerisms.

Well, one's a better rebounder and the other's a better shooter. :lol

johnnySpurs
02-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Most undervalued Center of all-time.

Often by so-called San Antonio fans...

Das Texan
02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I remember being at that game, sitting behind the backboards, prolly about halfway up the lower sections.

It was fun, glad I was able to have been in the building for that historic performance from Mr. Robinson.

If I recall, they posted that he had a quad double shortly after he actually got it.

timvp just beat the team to it in acknowledging it.

:lol :lol

Obstructed_View
02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
The stat people at Spurs games are legendarily poor at their job.

FromWayDowntown
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I remember listening to the end of that game on radio with Jay Howard counting down the blocks and assists (and fretting about whether the stats crew would award blocks/assists on certain plays to David). I hadn't actually seen the game until a few years ago, when NBATV replayed it. A DVD of that replay now resides in my Spurs collection. I agree with others: it's difficult for those who didn't see David Robinson in his prime to understand just what a force he was, though games like this go a long way toward illustrating that point.

timvp's cut from David's 1993-94 game log doesn't go back far enough to show the 27-12-10-8 game about a month earlier against Minnesota that nearly was a quadruple-double as well.

Also remarkable to me: between December 8, 1993 and April 19, 1994, David Robinson had 8 different games in which he went at least 19-10-5-5. I can't find anyone (since 1984-85) who's had more such games in a single season. Hakeem had 7 of them in a season 3 different times; Shaq had 6 of those games in a season twice; Duncan has had 5 such games in a single season once; Garnett has never had more than 3 such games in any particular season.

Obstructed_View
02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
timvp's cut from David's 1993-94 game log doesn't go back far enough to show the 27-12-10-8 game about a month earlier against Minnesota that nearly was a quadruple-double as well.
Thank you for that, FWD. I had forgotten about that game. My lingering memory of the Detroit game was that I almost expected him to get a quad double. That Minnesota game is the reason why.

spurraider21
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I was too young to see this game, but Robinson is the reason I became a Spurs fan

cheguevara
02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Drob did not have the talent around him like TD but he did have the recognition. Probably most popular Spur ever. Even overseas, he was usually the 4th or 5th most popular player. I guess the Admiral nickname helped too.

Probably will go down as the most famous spur ever.

dunkman
02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
The Admiral was an amazing player. Too bad the Spurs hired bad coaches during his prime. Robinson - Rodman - Elliott was a solid core.

EJFischer
02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Today, the very next day, turns out to be the 27th anniversary of the quadruple-double that Alvin Robertson recorded with the Spurs: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198602180SAS.html

I was around for David's, but this was before my time as a Spurs fan. Anyone here have memories of this era? Looking at his player page at Basketball-Reference, it looks like he was an good but not great player who had one stand-out season with the Spurs in 1986. His quadruple-double included 10 steals, and he was voted defensive player of the year that year. Also most improved player. But it looks like he regressed after that, and aside from two other pretty good seasons with Milwaukee, had an unremarkable career. All I know about him aside from his stats page is that I remember he was accused of illegal activities with underaged girls a few years ago. (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35606969/ns/sports-nba/) I don't recall ever reading what happened after that. Given his legal issues seem like they potentially vastly overshadow his athletic contributions, I didn't want to make a thread celebrating his quad-dub, but I'll mention it here for the sake of completeness.

(David, meanwhile, I will celebrate given the slightest opportunity from now until the end of time.)

Budkin
02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
DRob made me a Spurs fan in 1990. 2003 title is my favorite because he went out on top. Didn't Timmy almost have a QD in that same clinching game?

Budkin
02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
The Admiral was an amazing player. Too bad the Spurs hired bad coaches during his prime. Robinson - Rodman - Elliott was a solid core.

What? Bob Hill wasn't an amazing coach? :lol

EJFischer
02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Didn't Timmy almost have a QD in that same clinching game?

Yes. The last game of the 2003 finals Timmy famously had a line of 21-20-10-8: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200306150SAS.html

Personally though, while that stat line is the most memorable for being (a) incredible and (b) a championship-clinching effort, I think Duncan's most impressive stat line ever was from game 1 of that series. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200306040SAS.html) 32 points, 20 rebounds, 6 assists, 7 blocks, and 3 steals. More importantly, he did it with a 0.691 TS%, whereas in the famous last game his TS% was only 0.495.

32-20-6-7-3 with a true shooting of 69.1% is basically enough to win a game singlehandedly. And he did it in the finals. That's my favorite Duncan stat line ever.

Budkin
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes. The last game of the 2003 finals Timmy famously had a line of 21-20-10-8: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200306150SAS.html

Personally though, while that stat line is the most memorable for being (a) incredible and (b) a championship-clinching effort, I think Duncan's most impressive stat line ever was from game 1 of that series. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200306040SAS.html) 32 points, 20 rebounds, 6 assists, 7 blocks, and 3 steals. More importantly, he did it with a 0.691 TS%, whereas in the famous last game his TS% was only 0.495.

32-20-6-7-3 with a true shooting of 69.1% is basically enough to win a game singlehandedly. And he did it in the finals. That's my favorite Duncan stat line ever.

I always forget that Game 1 because I was so pissed about them losing Game 2 which they had no business losing.

therealtruth
02-18-2013, 10:28 PM

It's easy to forget how much Tim carried us. The front office repaid him by not getting him quality bigs to help.

GoodOdor
02-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Sucks that he was a playoffs choker, tbh.

Sean Cagney
02-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Sucks that he was a playoffs choker, tbh.

Damn Gaykers fan in here of course running their mouth, the most annoying fans on the planet. Go to your board you arrogant fu*ck, worry about your season now TBH........... Worst fans on these boards are faggot Lakers fans.

Sean Cagney
02-19-2013, 01:55 AM

What a sick stat line.
It's easy to forget how much Tim carried us. The front office repaid him by not getting him quality bigs to help.

Yeah that part sucks, never got him the help he needed after 07.

D-rob fan
02-19-2013, 02:00 AM
Watching Robinson glide down the court makes me wonder how he'd do in today's league with weak centers. All the centers in the league now seem to lumber down the court. Even Howard and McGee don't glide quite like Robinson.

GoodOdor
02-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Damn Gaykers fan in here of course running their mouth, the most annoying fans on the planet. Go to your board you arrogant fu*ck, worry about your season now TBH........... Worst fans on these boards are faggot Lakers fans.

:lol

Sean Cagney
02-19-2013, 03:26 AM
:lol

Hey it's funny because is the truth man lol..........

racm
02-19-2013, 06:36 AM
If D-Rob had a second star next to him pre Tim D he would have won a ring at least once.

Then again, having no second star meant the Spurs got Timmy.

bklynspursfan
02-19-2013, 10:35 AM
On this day in 1986, San Antonio Spurs guard Alvin Robertson recorded the NBA’s second quadruple double—20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 steals—in a 120-114 victory over the Phoenix Suns.

superbigtime
02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Dave is and was awesome. I think it's terrific how he attends the games now.

Why the fuck aren't some of the old time Spurs honored with a retired #.

EJFischer
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Why the fuck aren't some of the old time Spurs honored with a retired #.

You mean like Johnny Moore or James Silas or George Gervin?

superbigtime
02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
You mean like Johnny Moore or James Silas or George Gervin?

No jerkoff, like Alvin Robertson, Mike Mitchell, and Larry Kenon.

EJFischer
02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
No jerkoff, like Alvin Robertson, Mike Mitchell, and Larry Kenon.

Mike Mitchell maybe, though his stats don't look that remarkable to me. Larry Kenon has the issue of having played most of his career for other teams. Alvin Robertson, as mentioned earlier in the thread, both played much of his career for other teams and has the slight issue of having been sent to prison multiple times for domestic violence and sexual assault, and was implicated two years ago in the kidnapping and forced prostitution of a 14-year-old girl. I think it unlikely the Spurs will consider honoring him with number retirement.

superbigtime
02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Mike Mitchell maybe, though his stats don't look that remarkable to me. Larry Kenon has the issue of having played most of his career for other teams. Alvin Robertson, as mentioned earlier in the thread, both played much of his career for other teams and has the slight issue of having been sent to prison multiple times for domestic violence and sexual assault, and was implicated two years ago in the kidnapping and forced prostitution of a 14-year-old girl. I think it unlikely the Spurs will consider honoring him with number retirement.

I just mentioned the oldies who I think merit being honored, I mean heck Avery is up there so why not. Mitchell averaged 23 and 6. That ain't bad. Yeah I know about Alvin Robertson's troubles, he'll never get his # retired. Some folks just are touchy about forced prostitution of a minor I guess. Kenon would be nice, since he was a figure for this team before and after the transition from ABA to NBA. Maybe Artis Gilmore. Sometimes I feel like they are forgotten and that bothers me.

Drachen
02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
because avery was a dumb mistake.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 08:00 AM
because avery led the team to a title.

Drachen
02-21-2013, 10:37 AM
because avery talked a lot while getting his ass drug to a championship.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Operative word: Championship.