ducks
07-03-2005, 11:54 PM
New power forward Thomas won't slow down the Suns
By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
July 1, 2005

Photo
AP - Jul 1, 5:09 pm EDT
More Photos
PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns introduced new forward Kurt Thomas on Friday and sent a message to fans who loved last season's up-tempo style -- the team got tougher, not slower.

``We don't want to lose what we had last year,'' coach Mike D'Antoni said. ``So parts of the game will have that, and parts of the game will have some other stuff. We'll see how it all plays out in October. But, I think the bottom line is we're a better team right now.''

The Suns acquired the 6-foot-9, 235-pound Thomas and shooting guard Dijon Thompson on Tuesday in a draft-night trade with New York. The Knicks received Quentin Richardson and Nate Robinson, taken by Phoenix with the 21st overall pick.

Phoenix, which has never won an NBA championship, tied the franchise record last season by winning 62 games with Richardson as an integral part of a 110-point-a-game offense. But the Suns ran into San Antonio in the Western Conference finals and couldn't handle the Spurs, winning just one game.

That didn't keep Thomas, a 10-year veteran, from saying he considers the Suns his best chance to earn a championship ring.

``Myself coming in, and all the other pieces that I think they're going to add in, I think it's going to be a big help to them,'' he said.

Thomas will be counted upon to take pressure off center Amare Stoudemire, who averaged 29.9 points in the playoffs, with 42 against Tim Duncan and the Spurs in the Game 5 loss. According to team president Bryan Colangelo, Stoudemire is counting on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
``We wanted to get tougher, have more of an inside presence, get someone that would complement the style of play and give a big assist to Amare Stoudemire, who called out Kurt Thomas' name -- I think about a month ago -- in terms of a trade target,'' Colangelo said.

The Suns hope to re-sign free agents Stephen Hunter and Joe Johnson. They have to work out a contract extension for Stoudemire and add some depth.

But Thomas, who was a teammate of point guard Steve Nash in Dallas for the 1997-98 season, is almost certain to qualify as this summer's big catch.

He averaged 11.5 points and a career-high 10.4 rebounds last season, giving the Suns (Nash and small forward Shawn Marion) three of the nine NBA players to average a double-double.

``There are a lot of questions how we're going to play, if it changes our style, and it doesn't,'' D'Antoni said. ``You know, we kind of characterized it as small ball, but it's actually skill ball, and he's a skilled player. I think with him we're faster.

``He can play at the side of Amare, and that means Shawn's out running and not taking the ball out like he did last year, and he's faster on the wing than probably anybody in the NBA.''

Thomas has improved steadily, averaging 12.2 points and 8.5 rebounds in 400 games over the last five years after posting 8.2 points and 6.0 rebounds in 227 games his first five. Often used at center by the Knicks, he can alternate with Stoudemire and Hunter inside, and the Suns are counting on his defensive ability even more than his offense.

``I just want to come in and do what I do,'' Thomas said. ``Play with a lot of intensity, play hard, defend, rebound and -- when the opportunity is there -- put it in the hole. I love to play defense; I don't like my guy to score on me.''

TheTruth
07-03-2005, 11:58 PM
yes he will.

ducks
07-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I think with him we're faster.

you are not faster!

DDS4
07-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Whatever makes them sleep better at night.

LilMissSPURfect
07-04-2005, 01:51 AM
sorry for what i'm about to say....but i've heard nothing but suns nba champs in 05 [other forums] and i just have to vent!

"VALLEY of the IDIOTS!"

its what it iz......

Spursdaone
07-04-2005, 01:53 AM
he will clog the lane for amare and slow them down

atleast with marion n hunter they stayed outta amare's way :lmao
You only wished he was in the way but Kurt Thomas spreads the floor just like the 3 point shooters so there won't be a problem there. Hunter was the guy that got in the way because he has no mid range shot.

leemajors
07-04-2005, 03:11 AM
how does taking away quentin richardson help spread the floor again? he may have sucked in the playoffs but he was a big part of their regular season success.

TheTruth
07-04-2005, 05:27 AM
how does taking away quentin richardson help spread the floor again? he may have sucked in the playoffs but he was a big part of their regular season success.
Don't pay attention to spursdaone. He likes to piss people off, and he's good at it.

Spurologist
07-04-2005, 06:36 AM
D'antoni at his best again. "I think with him we're faster." You think? Please think again. How are you faster, coach? I don't think you touched on that.

I don't see how you are faster when you replace a young guard (24yrs) with 30 year old POWER FORWARD. Maybe D'antoni has a defensive scheme where Thomas stays on the offensive side of the floor while the suns play 4 on 5. Then as soon as the opponent scores, quickly get the ball to Thomas. I'll give it to him, they'll be a lot faster that way. I do that in NBA Live BTW. Works to perfection. :fro

One more thing. Maybe if Amare actually played defense phoenix might have won more than 1 game against the spurs. I don't think I have ever seen a super star power forward that doesn't play defense. Oh wait. Barkley never did (he admitted this) and look where it got him. NO RINGS.

Thomas will help, but like Around the Horn, I am selling big time of them getting a ring.

NASHville
07-04-2005, 08:07 AM
I think it is a good move but the Suns needs to play some defense.

Spursdaone
07-04-2005, 12:22 PM
It shouldn't matter at all because Kurt Thomas plays like a guard on the offense and takes jump shots. Hunter on the other side can only Dunk and take short range shots. Suns will be a monster for anyone next year and could upset the Spurs.

Sense
07-04-2005, 03:05 PM
lol thomas was the fastest knick when he was in NY..

Lol....

But he'll still slow em down..

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I think it is a good move but the Suns needs to play some defense.
(gasp) You don't say?!

;)

Spursdaone
07-04-2005, 03:18 PM
How is Kurt Thomas going to slow down Amare Stoudemire? Stoudemire most time will take it one on one in the fastbreak and Q. Richardson doesn't have time to get back. Q. was not that fast either.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Thomas has never looked 6'9" to me.

I'd give him 6'7" maybe.

I still don't see how this makes Phoenix that much better.

Jdspur20
07-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Whatever makes them sleep better at night.
:lol

Horry For 3!
07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
haha @ being faster with Kurt Thomas there than Quentin. Your funny D'Antoni! You silly guy you

ambchang
07-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Reminds me of the early century Mavs. Too much offense, and then they just randomly shipped out offensive players and go after decent defensive players with no regard of team chemistry. I think this makes the Suns a weaker tteam.

mookie2001
07-04-2005, 05:53 PM
they must add antwan jamison and antoine walker

Spursdaone
07-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Reminds me of the early century Mavs. Too much offense, and then they just randomly shipped out offensive players and go after decent defensive players with no regard of team chemistry. I think this makes the Suns a weaker tteam.
You only wish they became like the mavs. This team kept their top 3 scorers while adding on some defense and rebounding and now they will dominate all teams. There are only 2 teams that can come out of the west in my opinion. Phoenix or San Antonio.