PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Jackson. Top 5 or hype?

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
60 catches and 1,000+ yards in 4 of his last 4 fulltime seasons the Jackson worshippers will blather.
18 yards per catch.

Fine. True.

Now look at how many times he has been targeted. Compare and contrast that with top NFL receivers. Near top NFL receivers. Middle of the road NFL receivers. Now you're gettin close.

72 catches, 142 times targeted.
49%
Of the top yardage NFL receivers, you'd have to go to 45th place to find another receiver with a suck ass sub 50% rate.

Same crap he pulled in San Diego sans one season where he consistently made effort to fight for balls. Rest of the time? Randy Moss type slacking.
As to playoffs? The ultimate slacker.
Vs Jets, PRivers throws a perfectly thrown jump ball to him while being guarded by 5'9" Revis. Jackson gets BOTH hands on the ball, Revis does not touch him or the ball. Jackson bobbles the ball on the way down, fumbles it, then lays on the ground making no attempt to tackle Revis. You see, after Jackson bumbled it, the ball bounced off himself as he lay on the ground. Other notable pouting incidents were the endzone bomb Rivers threw whereupon Jackson just jogged out of bounds. Yep, made no attempt for the ball whatsover. Dodged media after the game too.

6'5" long arms fast.
As to the Chargers not reupping him, while the Lord of No Rings A.J. Smith took a lot of heat, word was Jackson and his agents wanted top 3 money to the tune of 18 million a year for 5 years. I supported AJs telling them to shove it.

And with Tampa Bay you're getting the same stat padding you got in San Diego.

BUMP
02-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Seriously who fucking cares?

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
:lmao Darrell Revis is 5'9"? Since when?

Chargerfan constantly claims how overrated Vincent Jackson is, yet they can't explain how Rivers immediately turned to shit without Vincent Jackson while Josh Freeman had a career high in touchdowns and yards once Tampa got Vincent Jackson.

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Chargerfan constantly claims how overrated Vincent Jackson is, yet they can't explain how Rivers immediately turned to shit without Vincent Jackson while Josh Freeman had a career high in touchdowns and yards once Tampa got Vincent Jackson.
"Immediately turned to shit." :lol Fabrication.
Jackson worshipper constantly fails to mention how the year Jackson and his agents sat out pouting (2010) the Bolts featured others like Malkie Floyd, a 22 year old rookie Seyi Ajirotutu, Legedee Naannee (sp), Crayton, Sproils others stepping up to the plate in place of Jackson and hardly missing a beat.
Ajirotutu averaged 20 yards per catch and combined with Malkie Floyd and other Charger WRs to give PRivs 4,700 yards on 66% flingin with 30 TDs to boot.
Did not miss Jackson.

Revis 5'10" 5'11" whatever. Point being Jackson is 6'5" had huge advantage. If i was technomologically skilled i would post the play. Disturbing lack of effort by Jackson in a low scoring game.

DeadlyDynasty
02-17-2013, 08:53 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dC0IVuO0vHc/TMXOTFmGVLI/AAAAAAAAAAk/-Y-IniKaFNY/s1600/Privers6.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
02-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Even with SD's penchant for playoff choking, that Jets loss is one of the more shocking playoff results I can remember...it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that they were going to play against Peyton in the AFCCG--and with their ownage of him--quite possibly a SB berth as well. To this day the Chargers haven't recovered from that Shonn Greene run.

Fabbs
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Seriously who fucking cares?
DOK cares. And his opinion counts.
And apparantly Deadly Dil does also.
http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/revisjpg-6325dbb0a7cc602a_large.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
If you wanna blame somebody for that Chargers loss, VJax is way down on the pecking order. Cromartie, Norv, and Rivers are more at fault

vander
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I agree with OP, but, who here is LOLing at chargers/charger fans for letting VJ walk?

and tbh, as a second round pick, VJ is one of AJ's best draft picks, right up there with, uh, hmm... fuck

gaKNOW!blee
02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Not top 5, but a beast a definitely top 10.

With that shit o-line tho it wouldn't matter what WR's the chargers kept.

Clipper Nation
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
:lmao Darrell Revis is 5'9"? Since when?

Vincent Jackson was okay, but was also a diva with attitude problems and demanded too much money....

The real reason why Rivers fell off after Jackson left is because all the talent on our O-line either got seriously injured or walked and we lost LT, Sproles, and Turner... plus Norv was still the coach....

We were stuck with a quarterback who can't stay upright in the pocket for longer than like two seconds, NO running game, and a retard of a coach who called slow-developing plays with seven step drops that only exacerbated the issues with the roster....

jjktkk
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Vincent Jackson was okay, but was also a diva with attitude problems and demanded too much money....

The real reason why Rivers fell off after Jackson left is because all the talent on our O-line either got seriously injured or walked and we lost LT, Sproles, and Turner... plus Norv was still the coach....

We were stuck with a quarterback who can't stay upright in the pocket for longer than like two seconds, NO running game, and a retard of a coach who called slow-developing plays with seven step drops that only exacerbated the issues with the roster....

I can relate.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-18-2013, 03:21 PM

The other reason is because Rivers was never that good and was overrated when people thought he was good.

I'd also call him a diva with attitude problems seeing that he's 31 years old and never cared to have proper throwing mechanics or learn how to throw anything other than a jump ball.

Samuel Eto'o
02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Deadly Dil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHnJCzYPeU

Edward
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
The other reason is because Rivers was never that good and was overrated when people thought he was good.

I'd also call him a diva with attitude problems seeing that he's 31 years old and never cared to have proper throwing mechanics or learn how to throw anything other than a jump ball.

:lol Chargerfan disappeared faster than mookie at a TING family reunion because they don't wanna confront the fact Rivers is a lazy entitled piece of shit

Clipper Nation
02-22-2013, 10:51 AM
:lol Chargerfan disappeared faster than mookie at a TING family reunion because they don't wanna confront the fact Rivers is a lazy entitled piece of shit
Rivers IS a lazy piece of shit, I was hoping they'd cut his ass this year and pick a QB in the draft.... that being said, VJax is still an egotistical headcase and Norv is still an incompetent retard...

Edward
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, Norv Turner is a shitty coach, I never said otherwise as I'm pretty sure Norv Turner's wife probably thinks he's a shitty coach.

Vincent Jackson might be a pain in the ass, but there's something to be said for the season Josh Freeman had.

DeadlyDynasty
02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Yes, Norv Turner is a shitty coach, I never said otherwise as I'm pretty sure Norv Turner's wife probably thinks he's a shitty coach.

Vincent Jackson might be a pain in the ass, but there's something to be said for the season Josh Freeman had.

and the season Mike Williams had as well, since he was single-covered all year b/c of VJax

monosylab1k
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/oh-thats-a-nice-photo-of-a-man-and-his-dog.gif

Edward
02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/oh-thats-a-nice-photo-of-a-man-and-his-dog.gif

gratz on 20k posts

monosylab1k
02-22-2013, 04:54 PM
gratz on 20k posts

Hey. Just wanted to give you props. I think you're a real Suns fan with a lot of loyalty to your team. I hope you stick around Spurstalk. Posters like you make this site interesting. =)

Edward
02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Hey. Just wanted to give you props. I think you're a real Suns fan with a lot of loyalty to your team. I hope you stick around Spurstalk. Posters like you make this site interesting. =)

:lol forgot about det one

Fabbs
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
MultiTroll running faster then Tom Brady to a hair gel appointment set up by Giselle.
When asked to address:
49%

Samuel Eto'o
02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
boom! here comes the boom!

monosylab1k
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
MultiTroll running faster then Tom Brady to a hair gel appointment set up by Giselle.
When asked to address:
49%

I'm not addressing it because I don't give a fuck. Vincent Jackson was an irrelevent loser when he played for the San Diego Irrelevant Losers, and he's the same with whatever team he's on now.

Edward
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
When asked to address:
49%
I'll address it. You're ignoring other factors to glorify a stat that's never talked about largely because it's influenced by so many other factors.

For one, Jackson averaged 19.2 yards per reception last year, 1.4 yards more than any other receiver, and 3.1 yards more than any other 1000+ yard receiver. The drawback of that is a lower percentage of balls thrown his way are completed, but that's the case with most deep ball receivers. Steve Smith for example only caught 52% of the balls thrown his way.

Additionally, of 32 starters, Josh Freeman was 29th in completion percentage at 54.8%. Mike Williams has the same 49% number Vincent Jackson does. The only players on Tampa who caught over 50% of balls thrown their way were tight ends and running backs who run short routes. Freeman simply wasn't accurate last year and forced a lot of deep balls. Being on a shit team also means Jackson was playing from behind and needed to run aggressive routes. The last time Jackson was on a winning team he caught 63% of passes thrown to him.

I also don't think anyone is calling Vincent Jackson a top 5 receiver or saying it's even debateable. IMO he's somewhere in the 9-12 range:

Elite WRs:
1) Calvin Johnson
2) A.J. Green
3) Andre Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall

Probably still elite and had historically crappy QBs throwing him the ball but was so unproductive you can't give him the full benefit of the doubt:
5) Larry Fitzgerald

On the cusp of becoming elite:
6) Spook Bryant
7) Demaryius Thomas

Been consistently productive long enough so he's above the group below him:
8) Roddy White

For one reason or another, they're either barely top 10 or not top 10:
9) Michael Crabtree
10) Julio Jones
11) Vincent Jackson
12) Hakeem Nicks

Deion Sanders
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
9) Michael Crabtree

Oh! A phong is ringin!

Axe Murderer
02-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll address it. You're ignoring other factors to glorify a stat that's never talked about largely because it's influenced by so many other factors.

For one, Jackson averaged 19.2 yards per reception last year, 1.4 yards more than any other receiver, and 3.1 yards more than any other 1000+ yard receiver. The drawback of that is a lower percentage of balls thrown his way are completed, but that's the case with most deep ball receivers. Steve Smith for example only caught 52% of the balls thrown his way.

Additionally, of 32 starters, Josh Freeman was 29th in completion percentage at 54.8%. Mike Williams has the same 49% number Vincent Jackson does. The only players on Tampa who caught over 50% of balls thrown their way were tight ends and running backs who run short routes. Freeman simply wasn't accurate last year and forced a lot of deep balls. Being on a shit team also means Jackson was playing from behind and needed to run aggressive routes. The last time Jackson was on a winning team he caught 63% of passes thrown to him.

I also don't think anyone is calling Vincent Jackson a top 5 receiver or saying it's even debateable. IMO he's somewhere in the 9-12 range:

Elite WRs:
1) Calvin Johnson
2) A.J. Green
3) Andre Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall

Probably still elite and had historically crappy QBs throwing him the ball but was so unproductive you can't give him the full benefit of the doubt:
5) Larry Fitzgerald

6) Spook Bryant
7) Demaryius Thomas

8) Roddy White

9) Michael Crabtree
10) Julio Jones
11) Vincent Jackson
12) Hakeem Nicks

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/589434_o.gif

Blizzardwizard
02-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Vincent Jackson was great on field, but a bit of an ass off it. Not top 5 though. Top 10? Maybe.

Also :lol at the thought of cutting Rivers. That's something Norv Turner would do. Wait, what?

Blake
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Elite WRs:
1) Calvin Johnson
2) A.J. Green
3) Andre Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall

5) Larry Fitzgerald

6) Spook Bryant
7) Demaryius Thomas

8) Roddy White

9) Michael Crabtree
10) Julio Jones
11) Vincent Jackson
12) Hakeem Nicks

Wes not top 12?

It was the drop, wasn't it

Edward
02-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Wes not top 12?

It was the drop, wasn't it
I like how you're pretending your Wes Welker knob slobbing was trolling all along.

Blake
02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
I like how you're pretending your Wes Welker knob slobbing was trolling all along.

I'm talking about you leaving him off your elite list, Ed.

I think it's ridiculous myself to leave the AFC leader in receptions off the elite list.

Fabbs
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
The last time Jackson was on a winning team he caught 63% of passes thrown to him.
What "time" are you talking about?
His final Bolt season?
His entire time as a Bolt?

Edward
02-25-2013, 12:44 PM
What "time" are you talking about?
His final Bolt season?
His entire time as a Bolt?
No, his 2009 season with San Diego as that was the last winning team he was on.

Good job ignoring the rest of that post addressing your original argument.

Fabbs
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
No, his 2009 season with San Diego as that was the last winning team he was on.

Good job ignoring the rest of that post addressing your original argument.
I'll address it Edward. Calm down.

Darkwaters
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I just saw Vincent Jackson about an hour ago out here in Germany on a USO tour.

Fabbs
03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
The last time Jackson was on a winning team he caught 63% of passes thrown to him.
Malkie Floyd also caught 63% that year and matched Jacksons yds per catch.
Yet if you watched all the Bolt games, you'd see Malkie making many more difficult catches ie going up in traffic, fighting for balls. Slacker only caught the wide open ones.

For one, Jackson averaged 19.2 yards per reception last year, 1.4 yards more than any other receiver, and 3.1 yards more than any other 1000+ yard receiver. The drawback of that is a lower percentage of balls thrown his way are completed, but that's the case with most deep ball receivers.
Yet Jackson consistently has a much suckier catch/target rate then other deep ball receivers.

Looks like everyone agrees (yourself included) Jackson is in no way a top 5 receiver. Yet he had his agents try to pry top 3 money out of the Bolts, sitting out and pouting when he didn't get his way. Asstard.

Grit and Grind
03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Blame Norv

Fabbs
03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Blame Norv
Jackson actually pulled his slacker shit with Martyball also. Jacksons 2nd year, his 1st of seeing significant action. In the playoff disaster vs the Pattycakes facing momentum changing 3rd and long 3rd qtr, PRivers hits him with a beautiful pass. Wide open, 25 yard gain for 1st down into Pattsycake territory. Slacker lets it bounce off his chest. One of 5 million gift plays the Bolts handed the Pattycakes but point being his slackerness goes all the way back. Much of it can be attributed to his alcholism. But i mean cmon, own up.

True Norv is a joke and perhaps Bellicheat or one of the Harbaughs and/or a team with a solid core player base could have gotten him to play.
But as with his contract before and after San Diego, it's obvious Slacker Jackson plays for himself and no one else.

Fabbs
10-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm not addressing it because I don't give a fuck. Vincent Jackson was an irrelevent loser when he played for the San Diego Irrelevant Losers, and he's the same with whatever team he's on now.
monoslob with an accurate take. wow.

duncanOWNSkobitch
meh Freemans stats were projecting upward anyways. Jackson helped, no doubt. But OP and point is no way is he top 5.
Bear in mind this asstard thru his agents was asking for top 3 money. I don't even have him top 15.
Rivers is a hillbilly, but obviously he has been the victim or retarded coaches. Now that he has a fairly decent coach who mixes up the playcalling and recievers that make an effort to catch the ball (new young guys, Gates and Royal efforts suck) look at Rivers now. You buried him wayy too soon.

41 catches on 90 targets?
45%
He's doing the same thing in 2013.

10 catches 138 yds 2 t.d.s vs Atlanta.
A good game for sure including the one handed grab.
Still, 22 targets in a loss.