PDA

View Full Version : Laser Intended For Mars Used To Detect "Honey Laundering"

ElNono
02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
A laser tool funded by the European Space Agency to measure carbon on Mars is now being used to help detect fake honey (http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/laser-intended-for-mars-used-to-detect-honey-laundering/). By burning a few milligrams of honey the laser isotope ratio-meter can help determine its composition and origin. From the article: "According to a Food Safety News investigation, more than a third of honey consumed in the U.S. has been smuggled from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals. To make matters worse, some honey brokers create counterfeit honey using a small amount of real honey, bulked up with sugar, malt sweeteners, corn or rice syrup, jaggery (a type of unrefined sugar) and other additives—known as honey laundering. This honey is often mislabeled and sold on as legitimate, unadulterated honey in places such as Europe and the U.S.."

mouse
02-18-2013, 01:05 AM
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/laser-intended-for-mars-used-to-detect-honey-laundering/

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2013, 01:48 AM
A laser tool funded by the European Space Agency to measure carbon on Mars is now being used to help detect fake honey (http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/laser-intended-for-mars-used-to-detect-honey-laundering/). By burning a few milligrams of honey the laser isotope ratio-meter can help determine its composition and origin. From the article: "According to a Food Safety News investigation, more than a third of honey consumed in the U.S. has been smuggled from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals. To make matters worse, some honey brokers create counterfeit honey using a small amount of real honey, bulked up with sugar, malt sweeteners, corn or rice syrup, jaggery (a type of unrefined sugar) and other additives—known as honey laundering. This honey is often mislabeled and sold on as legitimate, unadulterated honey in places such as Europe and the U.S.."

just like that milk powder fiasco a few years ago out of china, melamine or someshit was mixed into it...fkn wankers

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 03:19 AM
We simply need to put China on notice.

One more time, and we will stop buying from them.

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 06:48 AM
"We simply need to put China on notice."

Its' U S A corporations NOT testing their imports to meet safety, environment regulations. iow "Don't Trust (China or any foreign supplier) AND Verify".

But USA corps won't because complying with safety and security REGULATIONS costs them profits. Profits always trump Human-American, environmental health, which is why Repugs kill/defund OSHA, EPA, etc, etc.

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 06:50 AM
"We simply need to put China on notice."

Its' U S A corporations NOT testing their imports to meet safety, environment regulations. iow "Don't Trust (China or any foreign supplier) AND Verify".

But USA corps won't because complying with safety and security REGULATIONS costs them profits. Profits always trump Human-American, environmental health

It's not often I agree with you, but in this case, I do... what I left intact...

DarrinS
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Honey? Yuck

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
We're Corporate-Americans, Just Trust Us. No Regulations!

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
It's not often I agree with you, but in this case, I do... what I left intact...

"in this case", you are right, which is "not often"

Blake
02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Honey? Yuck

Honey is delicious, imo.

Consume some Texas honey and it helps block Texas allergens. :tu

Twisted_Dawg
02-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Honey is delicious, imo.

Consume some Texas honey and it helps block Texas allergens. :tu

If the honey comes from a farm no more than 50 miles from where you live. A good place to find real local honey is at the local farmers markets.

Blake
02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
If the honey comes from a farm no more than 50 miles from where you live. A good place to find real local honey is at the local farmers markets.

That makes sense.

I looked it up further, turns out there isn't much evidence that it really works as an antihistamine.

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
you are what you eat

Same for bees. Any medicinal value depends on the type of pollen the bees gather.

Manuka from NZ is one with some evidence

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/manuka-honey

Propolis component of honey also is supposed to have medicinal properties.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/390.html

Latarian Milton
02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
i reckon honey is still safe to drink as long as you don't buy it from walmart imho

Wild Cobra
02-19-2013, 03:48 AM
I both several pounds of local stuff one time from Natures. Made a six gallon batch of mead at 15.3%

Yummmm......