PDA

View Full Version : RETHINKING FEDERAL MARIJUANA POLICY

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 06:14 AM
This link was sent to me by my US House Representative, Earl Blumenauer.

link: THE PATH FORWARD; RETHINKING FEDERAL MARIJUANA POLICY (http://blumenauer.house.gov/images/stories/2013/The_Path_Forward_Rethinking_Federal_Marijuana_Poli cy.pdf?utm_source=DCS+Congressional+E-mail+Marketing+System&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f2fblumenauer.house.gov%2fimages %2fstories%2f2013%2fThe_Path_Forward_Rethinking_Fe deral_Marijuana_Policy.pdf)

admiralsnackbar
02-18-2013, 06:38 AM
This is one of the GOP's better recent strategies for re-branding themselves -- if they can get to some solid ideas concerning regulation at the individual level, I think it'll be good for the party.

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Executive Order: mj moved from Schedule I (higher than cocaine!) to Schedule V.

As with home brewing of much more addictive and mortal wine and beer, everyone has the right to home-grow up to 10 mj plants

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 06:40 AM
This is one of the GOP's better recent strategies for re-branding themselves -- if they can get to some solid ideas concerning regulation at the individual level, I think it'll be good for the party.
LOL...

Blumenauer is a democrat. So is Jared Polis.

admiralsnackbar
02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
LOL...

Blumenauer is a democrat. So is Jared Polis.

My mistake -- I only read the part about regulation and connected it to an article I read recently about the GOP (in the Economist, maybe?) and its efforts to renew their claim to fiscal conservatism. If you haven't already, expect to read a white paper on this topic from the other side of the aisle soon.

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 06:51 AM
My mistake -- I only read the part about regulation and connected it to an article I read recently about the GOP (in the Economist, maybe?) and its efforts to renew their claim to fiscal conservatism. If you haven't already, expect to read a white paper on this topic from the other side of the aisle soon.
How many of them live in states that have legalized it?

Funny thing...

I dislike many things Blumenauer does, but I voted for him over the RINO on the ballot. I agree with many things he has supported and done.

admiralsnackbar
02-18-2013, 06:52 AM
How many of them live in states that have legalized it?

None, I expect. Hence "re-branding."

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 06:56 AM
None, I expect. Hence "re-branding."

WA and CO have decriminalized possession, but selling is still a crime.

Wild Cobra
02-18-2013, 07:17 AM
K-3oEGCiWwE

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Full-Body Pat-Downs in America's Schools: How the War on Drugs Is a War on Children

On a warm spring afternoon at American colleges, the intoxicating aroma of surely medicinal marijuana will be floating like a soft caress in the breeze, and hard-working students will be stocking up on amphetamine cocktails to sharpen their overstressed young minds for the coming exams.

On a warm spring afternoon at the nation’s poorer public schools, children (and I mean children) will endure a daily police presence, including drug-sniffing dogs, full-body pat-downs, searches of backpacks and lockers, stops in the hallways—all in the name of searching for contraband.

the war on drugs has metastasized into a war on children.

Best publicized, perhaps, is the plight of young people in Meridian, Mississippi, where a federal investigation is probing into why children as young as 10 are routinely taken to jail for wearing the wrong color socks or flatulence in class. Bob Herbert wrote of a situation in Florida in 2007, where police found themselves faced with the great challenge of placing a 6-year-old girl in handcuffs too big for her wrists. The child was being arrested for throwing a tantrum in her kindergarten class; the solution was to cuff her biceps, after which she was dragged to the precinct house for mug shots and charged with a felony and two misdemeanors.

In New York City, kids who make trouble are routinely removed from school altogether and placed in suspension centers, holding cells or juvenile detention lockups. In the old days, you got a detention slip for scrawling your initials on a desk. Now a student can be given a summons by a school police officer. If the kid loses it or doesn’t want to tell his parents, it becomes a warrant—and a basis for arrest.

According to the New York Civil Liberties Union, some 
77 percent of New York’s school police interventions are for noncriminal matters like having food outside the cafeteria, having a cellphone or being late. Other minor offenses like shouting, getting into petty scuffles or being on school grounds after hours fall into the category of “disruptive behavior”—an offense that can get a student suspended. Just 4 percent of police interventions are in response to “major crimes against persons.”

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/full-body-pat-downs-americas-schools-how-war-drugs-war-children

mouse
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Bottom line it doesn't really matter what laws change, I can still get on the phone and have a gram of Hydro pot delivered to me withing 45 minutes 24/7.

They tried to get this nation to quit drinking in the 20s , stop taking acid in the 60s, stop smoking crack in the 80s, stop doing Ecstasy in the 90s, and meth is the 2000s Weed is the least of this nations drug problem.

Latarian Milton
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
im guessing that the most ardent marijuana prohibitionists are in fact backed, ironically, by the gangs and affiliated enterprises who live on the profites made from marijuana businesses. if marijuana gets legalized all over the nation, more companies will partake in the marijuana business and those who've already been doing this business will face more challenges and the profits will shrink alot. they fucking own this business and it's damn sure they won't want anyone to take a bite at their cake imho

boutons_deux
02-18-2013, 08:35 PM
"affiliated enterprises who live on the profits made from marijuana businesses."

the alcohol industry was, IIRC, the largest contributor to defeat of the CA mj referendum. use more mj, drink less alcohol

Latarian Milton
02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
smokeys will always get them dopes one way or another so it doesn't make much difference to the consumers whether shit's legalized or not imho. i might be wrong but i don't think the legalization of marijuana will necessarily lead to a bigger marijuana population tbh, and its not uncommon that crackheads use alcohol and drug at the same time

Wild Cobra
02-19-2013, 03:41 AM
smokeys will always get them dopes one way or another so it doesn't make much difference to the consumers whether shit's legalized or not imho. i might be wrong but i don't think the legalization of marijuana will necessarily lead to a bigger marijuana population tbh, and its not uncommon that crackheads use alcohol and drug at the same time
Smokeys in Oregon don't care. I remember a party at my place in the 70's when a neighbor complained about the music too loud. A police officer rang the doorbell, I opened the door and he asked us to turn it down. The bongs were out, and the room reaked of MJ. We turned it down, he left.