PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein's Mid-Season Power Rankings

BatManu20
02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/207284_578364202182426_1299948024_n.jpg

Marc Stein has the Spurs at the top spot of course, currently holding the best record at 42-12. MIA, OKC, LAC, and DEN round out the top 5. Thankfully we have a home-heavy schedule the second half of the season.

I've noticed a few people on these boards have been saying that HCA would be nice, but isn't essential. I think it's absolutely essential for the Spurs to have HCA if wan't a legitimate shot at winning a title this year. I don't think we can beat OKC and/or MIA in a 7 game series without it. What do you guys think?

BlackSilver
02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
We've fizzled enough times with HCA, that I don't subscribe to its importance anymore.

Brunodf
02-19-2013, 08:21 PM
4 west teams in the top 5...

spurraider21
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Home heavy schedule doesn't excite me. A LOT of tough games

YoMamaIsCallin
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I'll say what I've said before. With HCA, you lose one of the first two at home and poof, it's gone and now the other team can win out at home. HCA is not nothing but it's not that much either, compared to playing well going into the playoffs and bring healthy. HCA plus winning the first two is good. HCA without winning the first two is not good.

BatManu20
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Home heavy schedule doesn't excite me. A LOT of tough games

That's true. We got OKC twice and LAC twice, along with some other good teams like Golden State twice. Starting off on Thursday in LA against the Clips. That's going to be a tough one. Still think HCA is imperative.

spurraider21
02-19-2013, 08:53 PM
That's true. We got OKC twice and LAC twice, along with some other good teams like Golden State twice. Starting off on Thursday in LA against the Clips. That's going to be a tough one. Still think HCA is imperative.
Well yeah, I mean I'd rather play tough home games than tough road games. But as you said our schedule has us playing okc twice, the clippers twice, we still get Miami once, the lakers twice (laugh it off if you choose, but they've played us close, or we played down. Either way). IIRC we still have games against Denver and Memphis too

baseline bum
02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
HCA is critical with the calls Methlahoma gets at home.

Darkwaters
02-20-2013, 12:41 AM
4 west teams in the top 5...

Have you seen the East recently? They have two good teams (Heat, Knicks) and a bunch of garbage afterwards. I mean, the Pacers are their third best team. The West has the Clippers in that spot. Also, all of the league's absolute worst teams are out East (I'm thinking Washington, Charlotte, Toronto, etc).

Basically, it's no great achievement to make the playoffs out East. And the Heat's record really isn't very impressive considering their East-heavy schedule.

Spur|n|Austin
02-20-2013, 12:42 AM
We've fizzled enough times with HCA, that I don't subscribe to its importance anymore.

Please explain "enough times".

MR-Clutch
02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Please explain "enough times".

Since 2007? More specifically the past two years.

racm
02-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Since 2007? More specifically the past two years.

1st seed should mean conference finals berth more actually.

That said, the Spurs are great at home and the officiating would actually favor them a bit at home, despite having mediocre scorekeepers.

Raven
02-20-2013, 06:36 AM
rockets 8th? what has this guy been smoking?

racm
02-20-2013, 06:48 AM
rockets 8th? what has this guy been smoking?

Their point differential indicates they're likely to go on a huge run soon.

Mal
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Their point differential indicates they're likely to go on a huge run soon.

Do they want to do it ? Lottery pick could help them better than 1st round exit expierience

therealtruth
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I will take HCA but not at the expense of actually improving for the playoffs. We all know the difference this year is going to be the defense. In the past we relied on being able to outscore teams but when they played good enough defense we couldn't score enough. With defense this time we'll be able to hang around in tough road games.