PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Kings - Feb. 19

timvp
02-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Tim Duncan B+
Stout D in the paint. Rebounding was great, especially in first half. O wasn't smooth but he looked healthy.

Manu Ginobili B+
Agility on D was missing but jumped well for rebounds. Aggressive on O and made plays. Commendable effort.

Tony Parker A-
Sloppier than usual but admirable energy. Played with physicality. Highly productive. Best player on the court.

Kawhi Leonard B
Individual D was solid but didn't help much elsewhere. Forced it a bit on O but getting to the line was helpful.

Danny Green A-
Played through illness and did well. D was inconsistent but really helped on O with slick passes and big shots.

Tiago Splitter B
Foul trouble derailed his night. Defended adequately; he was a plus in the paint. Wasn't very involved on O.

Boris Diaw B+
Active enough on the boards. Passing helped facilitate offense. Surprisingly visited the charity stripe 5 times.

Gary Neal C-
Couldn't hit a shot. D was terrible at times. Thankfully, shot selection was okay and he limited his mistakes.

Matt Bonner C-
He was involved a lot of D with mixed results. Didn't do anything of note on offense.

Nando De Colo B-
I liked his passing and he looked more comfortable next to Ginobili. D was error-prone, though.

DeJuan Blair C
Was a ball of energy. Some good though mostly not so good.

Patrick Mills C+
Came close to providing a spark but couldn't quite turn the corner.

Pop B-
He used a full 12-man rotation. This is late in the season to do that. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.

spurraider21
02-20-2013, 01:59 AM
when i miss a game, i don't read recaps by the sports sites. i wait for quick grades, then watch highlights. thanks LJ

hooperflash
02-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Spot on with the grades :tu

Now to see where Blair lands.

chapnis
02-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Sounds about right to me with the grades.

Just a sloppy game, lotsa turnovers but got the W I guess.

Boomersgold
02-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Thought Patty played well. He went back to his score-first mentality, which meshed well with Manu's playmaking. Defense was better than usual.

Big thumbs up to TP for another impressive game. Can't say the same for Bonner though. I wanted him off the court every time that he was on. Puzzled as to why Pop doesn't give Baynes a chance.

EricB
02-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Did Baynes play? Cause if not dont think that's a 12 man rotation.

moisaenz
02-20-2013, 02:28 AM
I guess the rotation used was just to disperse minutes in this last part of the rodeo trip.

chapnis
02-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Ummm...

Parker/DeColo/Mills
Green/Ginobili/Neal
Leonard
Duncan/Bonner/Blair
Splitter/Diaw

Looks like 12 to me.

timvp
02-20-2013, 02:33 AM
Did Baynes play? Cause if not dont think that's a 12 man rotation.

13 active players nowadays, tbh.

EricB
02-20-2013, 02:36 AM
13 active players nowadays, tbh.

Semantics

racm
02-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Classic game of an elite team winning a game without playing winning basketball.

17-10 disadvantage in turnovers (Tony was great but 7 turnovers... yikes), bigs limited by foul trouble, couldn't hit a 3 at all, but overall the defense was the story. 37.8 FG% is great, even considering the relatively high pace and the Kings uncharacteristically getting themselves to the line.

AFBlue
02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
This was a vintage Bonner performance...and I mean that in the worst way possible. He couldn't hit shots, turned the ball over and was foul on defense.

I actually thought the team as a whole was a bit sloppy on O and overaggressive (e.g. foul prone) on D. Against a better opponent, that probably would've resulted in a loss.

Game ball to Danny Green...he pushed the pace on O, made threes, and (uncharacteristically) converted shots around the rim.

jjktkk
02-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Pop B-
He used a full 12-man rotation. This is late in the season to do that. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Really?

romsho
02-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Pop B-
He used a full 12-man rotation. This is late in the season to do that. Hopefully he knows what he's doing.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you think so doctor?

mando6599
02-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Couldn't watch the game, is SJax still taking "personal leave"? Was he on the sideline at all?

Dex
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Semantics

Mathematics

Strategic
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Nando De Colo B-
I liked his passing and he looked more comfortable next to Ginobili. D was error-prone, though.

In the midst of the back up PG logjam(for lack of better word usage), it now looks as if De Colo has earned the spot? Parker also referenced as much this week. I'm wondering if you think this decision has been made, and if so, what your thoughts are about it.

Das Texan
02-20-2013, 10:53 AM
typical tpark talking out of his ass with no facts.

:lol

bigfan
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Not pretty but the difference between good teams and bad ones is good teams win ugly games like last night.

Spur|n|Austin
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Pop B-
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

TJastal
02-20-2013, 01:03 PM

I completely agree the speculation is warranted. I don't think its a coincidence that the grades in your list Timvp steadily decline the furthur down one gets in the rotation. I've only been saying this for several months now, but it bears repeating. Pop needs to figure out a coherent plan for 7th-12th, and figure it out NOW, not a month from now, not two months from now, and certainly not right before the playoffs start.

Another troubling thing is Aaron Baynes not seeing action. LOL if Pop thinks the turds are going to cut it in the playoffs. He is going to need a big bruising 7 footer who can rebound in traffic at some point, gauranteed. Splitter and Diaw are not bruisers and Tim Duncan is 36. It's going to be a problem that frankly needs addressing.

TJastal
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Really?

:lol @ the sound of offended popsuckerwhine

superbigtime
02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I like how Coach Bud inserted Baynes when Pop was out. Granted, everyone is back now (other than Jax) so there is an 'excuse' to not play Baynes, but even when Spurs were still shorthanded Pop let Baynes sit. We got a little best record cushion, and it's clear Bonner still sucks... Baynes should get some playing time. Come on Pop, this dude didn't come from across the pond to sit on the fucking bench behind turd towers and flashes-of-brilliance Diaw. Incorporate him into this team!

jjktkk
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
:lol @ the sound of offended popsuckerwhine

:lol Doesn't watch Spurs games on TV, but checks the boxscore. Thinks agreeing with Tim makes him smarter.

Pasta Batman
02-20-2013, 07:35 PM
In the midst of the back up PG logjam(for lack of better word usage), it now looks as if De Colo has earned the spot? Parker also referenced as much this week. I'm wondering if you think this decision has been made, and if so, what your thoughts are about it.

He's probably got the lead on it, and they are going with it. Hopefully it sticks that way. It would make sense, now that everyone is sorta healthy again, to see if it works. It's especially vital since Manu's minutes will likely limited throughout the season, so you want a Manu-like guy on the court.

Dingle Barry
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I like how Coach Bud inserted Baynes when Pop was out. Granted, everyone is back now (other than Jax) so there is an 'excuse' to not play Baynes, but even when Spurs were still shorthanded Pop let Baynes sit. We got a little best record cushion, and it's clear Bonner still sucks... Baynes should get some playing time. Come on Pop, this dude didn't come from across the pond to sit on the fucking bench behind turd towers and flashes-of-brilliance Diaw. Incorporate him into this team!

this