PDA

View Full Version : Bilinguals

AussieFanKurt
02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm studying French, I am pretty good at reading it and listening but speaking is tough. Any advice?

ashbeeigh
02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Find a way to immerse yourself in the language. It's the only way I can keep up with my Spanish. If I'm out of it for even a few weeks I feel like I won't ever be able to speak it again.

Latarian Milton
02-20-2013, 11:22 PM
although im not bilingual (unless you count ebonics as a language) i still have some honest advice in how to improve your speaking skills tbh. you're good at reading it so you can just grab a book and read it aloud, confidence is also an important element for such tough tasks like learning a new language. you can speak it out aloud w/o giving a shit about how other people think of you. it'd be best if you can have a tour to france and stay there for a while, still the best way to learn a new language is spending a few months or years in that country imho

Captivus
02-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm studying French, I am pretty good at reading it and listening but speaking is tough. Any advice?

Whats the problem? You have to think the words before you say them? Dont remember the words?
I speak a Spanish, German, English, Italian (rusty now), and the best way to practice is to speak it (i know it sounds obvious). Get someone that speaks french and speak.
One think that also good, maybe not exactly for speaking is watching movies in other languages. Nowadays you can get a DVD and watch a movie in French, and even with French subtitles, and if you have already seen the movie its even better, because you what they are saying.

AussieFanKurt
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Yeah I thought this would be the answer, unfortunately I don't have any frog friends and won't be going to France again soon.. I guess I'll just try what Latarian and Captivus says.. I try and think of English word first then translate to French.. tough

Reck
02-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Is it the accent you're having problem with or saying the words correctly?

AussieFanKurt
02-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Is it the accent you're having problem with or saying the words correctly?

Thats not really the problem. It is tough, it is more coming up with right words to say. I can easily read a sentence and know what it means but when it comes to saying something like I will go to the shops today at noon thats when I have trouble. Thinking in English to French is bad but I know no other way

Reck
02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
Oh you're having problem with identifying the gender of each words and when to properly say it, right?

AussieFanKurt
02-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Oh you're having problem with identifying the gender of each words and when to properly say it, right?

That is a part of it but also just remembering all the verbs... and general vocub. I'll see it and understand but then when I have to say I'm left with a mind blank.. just more practice I think

mingus
02-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Unless you are a savant it's going to take a little while to become comfortable using it. Just practice a lot. One thing that helped me ingrain different languages was to think in the language I was learning even when I wasn't studying.

Sportcamper
02-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Pick a subject you are interested in & go to You tube…There are tons of cooking You tubes in French…

Get a region free DVD/Blu-Ray player…Order the discs for the European market…Most European DVD’s contain the F.I.G.S. France, Italy, Germany & Spain…Not just for films either….Europe has a huge appetite for American Television…They purchase every episode of Friends, Fringe, Vampire diaries, Gossip Girl to name a few…

Fabbs
02-21-2013, 10:48 AM
http://wizbangpop.com/images/2008/01/french_news_babe_melissa_theur/doc-38932.jpg
She speaks French. You might ask her if she could be your study mate.

TheRealCB
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Watch french movies with french subs,that's how I perfected my English. Plus you can find the french Spurstalk,it really helps.

mrsmaalox
02-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Ta gueule! :D