PDA

View Full Version : Article in Bahia Blanca newspaper details Finals MVP voting

Solid D
07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Here is a link to Manu's hometown newspaper and it has some interesting tidbits from the small articles within. One of them details who voted for Tim and who voted for Manu in the Finals MVP voting. They obviously take this very seriously.

I will post the native version, then a rather rough Google-fish computer translator version for the sake of ease (albeit a very rough translation of Spanish to English).

Here is today's sports section:
http://www.lanueva.com.ar/05/07/04/sc5747.sht

Here is the article in that sports section regarding MVP voting:
http://www.lanueva.com.ar/05/07/04/574093.sht

Bahía Blanca • República Argentina lunes 4 de Julio de 2005

ENFOQUE

A "Manu", el MVP se le escapó por un pelo

La historia de la elección del Jugador Más Valioso (MVP en su sigla en inglés) por parte de la NBA se remonta a 1966, ocasión en que fue elegido Jerry West, integrante del equipo Los Angeles Lakers, que perdió la final frente a Boston Celtics. Curiosamente, es la única oportunidad, desde entonces, que el nominado no alistó en el equipo ganador.
En la última edición, el seleccionado fue Tim Duncan pese a que algunos estimaban que bien pudo serlo nuestro Emanuel Ginóbili, aunque tampoco nadie discutió merecimientos del ala-pivote de Islas Vírgenes.
A todo esto, ¿fue o no bien fundamentada la expectativa de que el bahiense alcanzara tan preciado galardón?
Y, la verdad, en rigor "Manu" estuvo bien cerca de lograrlo, según nos explicó el colega Alvaro Martín, de ESPN.
Para empezar, conviene recordar que son nueve los periodistas designados para determinar el MVP, más el voto popular que los aficionados dejan en NBA.com, vía Internet.
Así, la organización intenta darle cuatro puestos a la prensa inmediata a ambos equipos (dos por bando). Los otros cinco votos se otorgan a medios electrónicos principales que transmiten la serie (ABC TV y ESPN Radio); a otros dos medios nacionales reconocidos ("Sports Illustrated" y "USA Today" ) y, por último, al presidente de la Asociación de Cronistas de Básquetbol Profesional o alguien que asigne dicha agrupación, siendo generalmente un cronista veterano.
El único requisito, no escrito, que imponen es que los sufragantes hayan preciado no menos de 82 juegos por temporada.
Pues bien, la compulsa arrojó los siguientes sufragios.
Por Duncan votaron Mike Monroe, de "San Antonio Express-News"; periodista del "Detroit News" ; periodista del "USA Today" ; cronista de ABC Sports; cronista de ESPN Radio y el presidente de la Professional Basketball Writers Association.
Por Ginóbili se inclinaron el periodista Johnny Ludden, de "San Antonio Express-News"; un periodista del "Detroit Free Press"; un periodista del semanario "Sports Illustrated" y el voto del aficionado tabulado en NBA.com.
Pues bien, hecha la suma, queda claro que Duncan fue favorecido por mínimo 6 a 4. O sea que, efectivamente, Emanuel Ginóbili estuvo ahí nomás de sumar otro galardón a los muchos que orlan su formidable trayectoria deportiva.
Su posible distinción no fue, en consecuencia, una mera ilusión de bahienses y/o argentinos, sólo movidos por afiebrados sentimientos nacidos de la Patria Chica. Hubo varios más, con poder de decisión, que pensaron lo mismo. Entre ellos, cientos de miles de internautas... aunque su preferencia sólo estuvo representada por un único voto.

Enrique Nocent/"La Nueva Provincia"

Solid D
07-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Here is the rough Google translated version to English:

White bay • Argentine Republic Monday 4 of Julio of 2005 APPROACH To "Manu", the MVP escaped by a hair the history to him of the election of the Most valuable Player (MVP in its abbreviation in English) on the part of the NBA goes back to 1966, occasion in which was chosen Jerry West, member of the equipment Los Angeles Lakers, that lost the end Boston Celtics in front of. Peculiarly, it is the only opportunity, since then, that the name one did not list in the winning equipment. In the last edition, the selected one was Tim Duncan although some considered that well it could be our Emanuel Ginóbili, although nobody either discussed merits of the wing-pivot of Virgin Islands. To all this, or was not well based the expectation of which the bahiense reached so appraised award? And, the truth, strictly speaking "Manu" was well near obtaining it, according to explained the colleague to us Alvaro Martín, of ESPN. In order to begin, it agrees to remember that they are the nine designated journalists to determine the MVP, plus the popular vote that the fans leave in NBA.com, via Internet. Thus, the organization tries to give four positions to the press immediate to both equipment (two by side). The other five votes are granted to main electronic means that transmit the series (ABC TV and ESPN Radio); to other two average recognized nationals ("Sports Illustrated "and" the USA Today") and, finally, to the president of the Association of Cronistas de Professional Básquetbol or somebody that assigns this grouping, being generally a veteran cronista. The only requirement, not written, that imposes is that the sufragantes have appraised not less than 82 games by season. Then, the collating threw the following suffrages. By Duncan they voted Mike Monroe, of "San Antonio Express-News"; journalist of the "Detroit News"; journalist of the "USA Today"; cronista of ABC Sports; cronista of ESPN Radio and the president of the Professional Basketball Writers Association. By Ginóbili they inclined journalist Johnny Ludden, of "San Antonio Express-News"; a journalist of the "Detroit Free Press"; a journalist of the weekly magazine "Sports Illustrated" and the vote of the fan tab in NBA.com. Then, made the sum, it is clear that Duncan was favored by minimum 6 to 4. That is that, indeed, Emanuel Ginóbili was there just to add another award to many that they trim his formidable sport trajectory. Its possible distinction was not, consequently, a mere illusion of bahienses and/or Argentineans, only moved by feverish feelings born of the Small Mother country. There were several more, with being able of decision, that thought the same. Among them, hundreds of thousands of internauts... although their preference were only represented by an only vote. Enrique Nocent/"La New Province "

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Some of this is Argentine hype, but it is clear that Ginobili is fast approaching real NBA superstardom.

2centsworth
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Some of this is Argentine hype, but it is clear that Ginobili is fast approaching real NBA superstardom.
I haven't seen a better perfomance from a two in a while. The guy was a beast.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 02:10 PM
There's absolutely not even a bit of Argentininian hype in that article. In fact it just states that Manu was very close to winning the MVP with votes going 6 for Duncan and 4 for Manu. It just says it was close.

Solid D
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't remember seeing in any other publication the detail of who voted and how they voted, as was the case in this article. It looks like Alvaro Martin of ESPN was the source.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:19 PM
He's the best 2 the Spurs have had since Alvin, if not Ice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Manu got the fan vote from NBA.com.

I think things are shaping up well for him to make a run at starting the A-S game as far as the fan voting goes.

Jelly
07-04-2005, 02:30 PM
I have asked this before, but don't think anybody answered. I'm sure some of our international posters would know. Is the MVP award something that is done in other sports outside the U.S. ? Does anybody agree with me that the MVP award is something that should be scrapped? How can we promote the concept of selflessness and team play and still have an MVP award?

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2005, 02:33 PM
cry me a river :D

duncan is the bread n butter of the spurs.

spurschick
07-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Considering that most know that TD is the MVP of that team, including the players, it's pretty noteworthy that the Finals MVP was one vote away from being a tie. I still think it's a shame that Bruce Bowen didn't receive any votes. In the past, we've heard the "should it be Shaq or Kobe" bs, most of it internally between the two of them. The great thing is that you will never hear that between Tim and Manu, or whoever else steps up.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
This is a nice problem to have.

E20
07-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I think things are shaping up well for him to make a run at starting the A-S game as far as the fan voting goes.

A long ass run.

hendrix
07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Jelly, in soccer there is the "golden boot" (usually the leading scorer) at some international championships, but thats about it. There is ALWAYS a "mention" to the leading scorer but thats not to discussion, whoever scores more goals wins it. :)

smeagol
07-04-2005, 02:56 PM
How can you read Argentine hype in this article is beyond me.

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 02:58 PM
cry me a river :D

duncan is the bread n butter of the spurs.
No doubt.

And I hope Spurs fans in SA and especially in Argentina, get that through their heads!!!

smeagol
07-04-2005, 03:01 PM
For those of you who can't read spanish, the article clearly sates that nobody argued the final decission, i.e. tha fact Timmy diserved the award.

smeagol
07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
No doubt.

And I hope Spurs fans in SA and especially in Argentina, get that through their heads!!!
Ehh . . .? Ok, if you say so . . .

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Ehh . . .? Ok, if you say so . . .
It's not in reference to this article (I read spanish perfectly, so I know that). It's in reference to people complaining about the award not being given to Manu.

It just gets on my nerves that people don't appreciate Tim as being the leader of this team, and that without him, we're not a lot. (even with Manu in the team)

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 03:17 PM
If you don't agree that Manu would defeat Superman and Spiderman combined while beating down the Incredible Hulk (apologies to Lou Ferrigno) with his 24" long male member then prepare to be jumped by the Manu Mob®.

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Calling Timmy's Mob...

Athenea
07-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Bring it on!!! :lol

milkyway21
07-04-2005, 08:12 PM
No doubt.

And I hope Spurs fans in SA and especially in Argentina, get that through their heads!!!exactly!

and to tell you the truth this MVP comparison between Duncan & Manu is beginning to piss me off...tired of it. If I'm Tim I'd be insulted, even Spurs fans are arguing over it. :pctoss

smeagol
07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
It's not in reference to this article (I read spanish perfectly, so I know that). It's in reference to people complaining about the award not being given to Manu.

If you know how to read spanish, then why do you say this:

Fans in Argentina, like the article mentions, acknowledge that Tim is the rightfull winner of the MVP award. The only ones that don't, are the casual fans and there is not much that can be done about it. Moreover, you should not worry about those.

If you don't agree that Manu would defeat Superman and Spiderman combined while beating down the Incredible Hulk (apologies to Lou Ferrigno) with his 24" long male member then prepare to be jumped by the Manu Mob®.
Old and boring.

:blah :blah :blah

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Yo Marcus, would you shut the fuck up with the Manu mob shit already!! You're a member of the Tony Parker church and you don't see anyone throwing that in your face! Quit while you're behind

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Fans in Argentina, like the article mentions, acknowledge that Tim is the rightfull winner of the MVP award. The only ones that don't, are the casual fans and there is not much that can be done about it. Moreover, you should not worry about those.
Alright. Maybe fans who know better agree with Tim being the MVP, but don't pretend these "casual fans" don't outnumber these others.

I've seen it on the news, heard about it; of fans who are angry because the award wasn't given to Manu. And you have to conclude that the majority of these are from Argentina, who (no offense) are fans of the Spurs only because their compatriot is in the team. And I'm positive that most would bandwagon to whichever team Manu landed in.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them, nor resent them for that. However, they're pushing it by not acknowledging Tim as being the reason the Spurs are in the Finals in the first place, and expecting the MVP award to be given to Manu just because he's from their country. That's the only reason I'm resenting them.

We've been fans of the Spurs for years, long before Manu was even drafted. So you cannot expect us not to react like we're doing when our boy, Timmy, who this whole city adores, is disrespected like he is.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Alright. Maybe fans who know better agree with Tim being the MVP, but don't pretend these "casual fans" don't outnumber these others.

I've seen it on the news, heard about it; of fans who are angry because the award wasn't given to Manu. And you have to conclude that the majority of these are from Argentina, who (no offense) are fans of the Spurs only because their compatriot is in the team. And I'm positive that most would bandwagon to whichever team Manu landed in.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them, nor resent them for that. However, they're pushing it by not acknowledging Tim as being the reason the Spurs are in the Finals in the first place, and expecting the MVP award to be given to Manu just because he's from their country. That's the only reason I'm resenting them.

We've been fans of the Spurs for years, long before Manu was even drafted. So you cannot expect us not to react like we're doing when our boy, Timmy, who this whole city adores, is disrespected like he is.
First of all what you're saying has absolutely nothign to do with that article. Furthermore, last I checked bandwagon fans outnumber real fans EVERYWHERE!! and noone here is arguing otherwise. Why would you resent someone that bases their opinion on nationality rather than actual skill? Seriously, you can resent them all you want, but its just stupid. and noone is disrespecting Tim! I don't know where you got that! Bandwagon fans over here love Tim, they just love Manu more; can you blame them?? Also if you think that Argentinians are disrespecting Tim because they think Manu should have won the MVP then you should focus on those 4 reporters that vote for Manu on from your own country.

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 10:42 PM
First of all what you're saying has absolutely nothign to do with that article.
Did I say it did? But the subject is about Finals MVP, and Manu and Tim, so I added my thoughts. No crime in that.

Furthermore, last I checked bandwagon fans outnumber real fans EVERYWHERE!! and noone here is arguing otherwise. Why would you resent someone that bases their opinion on nationality rather than actual skill? Seriously, you can resent them all you want, but its just stupid.
Well, the only way you would know how it felt to be in our shoes is if well... you were in our shoes. ;) Their only intention is to make Manu the recipient of accolade, which is mere country pride, which is completely expected. The only time this becomes too ridiculous is when they don't like Timmy getting the award, when he deserved it a lot more. It is "Finals MVP" which means the WHOLE finals series, in which Timmy was constant, when Manu was not.

I guess I'm going a little overboard with this, but you have to understand us too. Some are less tolerant than others when it comes to bandwagoners trying to undermine our "bread and butter", as someone put it earlier.

and noone is disrespecting Tim! I don't know where you got that! Bandwagon fans over here love Tim, they just love Manu more; can you blame them?? Also if you think that Argentinians are disrespecting Tim because they think Manu should have won the MVP then you should focus on those 4 reporters that vote for Manu on from your own country.
Noone? You can't be too sure about that.

And no, I don't blame them for loving Manu more, as you can't blame us for loving Timmy more, and defending his importance to our team.

Spuritista
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I wonder why masterminds of NBA read Argentinian Articles???
We are clueless about basketball. You should spend time on something more interesting.

xcoriate
07-04-2005, 10:53 PM
I wonder why masterminds of NBA read Argentinian Articles???
We are clueless about basketball. You should spend time on something more interesting.

.... :rolleyes

Jolly, In Aus we have the MVP award for basketball (NBL) and the equivilant in other sports however it may not be called the MVP. Titles such as "best and fairest" in Aussie Rules but it is essentially an MVP count with the exception that you are excluded if you have had a suspension.

This is the same in most places as far as I know and I don't see a problem with it. With the way the media views team success in voting for these awards it hard to not be a team player and win. Part of being the best is making those around you better. The true candidates understand this so there is no problem in my book.

milkyway21
07-05-2005, 12:32 AM
[B]We've been fans of the Spurs for years, long before Manu was even drafted. So you cannot expect us not to react like we're doing when our boy, Timmy, who this whole city adores, is disrespected like he is.
Top-Cherry , you just said the words outta my mind...:D

i hope this debate will end soon. I don't want to start hating a Spur like Manu just bec. of this you know.... :rolleyes

smeagol
07-05-2005, 12:56 AM
I've seen it on the news, heard about it; of fans who are angry because the award wasn't given to Manu. And you have to conclude that the majority of these are from Argentina,
I have not heard this on the news. If you have, it has to be related to people in SA, not people in Argentina.

Since when does the local media focus on Argentina? American reporters probably believe Argentina is part of Brazil.

What are you talking about?

They expected Manu winning the MVP award because had a real chance of getting it. People at the SBC center were chantting "MVP, MVP" in games one and two and again in game seven. Last time I checked, its Americans who go to watch Spurs games at the SBC. Or maybe Manu's familiy members have really loud voices :lol

Again talking about disrespect when nobody is disrispecting Timmy. As MaNuMaNiA said, don't focus so much on the Argentines. Focus on the four judges who voted for Manu, including San Antonio's J. Ludden (who is not Argentine, by the way).

smeagol
07-05-2005, 12:57 AM
i hope this debate will end soon. I don't want to start hating a Spur like Manu just bec. of this you know.... :rolleyes
:rolleyes forum

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Who cares as to who voted for who?

Duncan won a legitimate MVP ballot theres no more that needs to be said on the matter.

Tim Duncan is the 2005 Finals MVP!

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Who cares as to who voted for who?

Duncan won a legitimate MVP ballot theres no more that needs to be said on the matter.

and noone is arguing against it, ABSOLUTELY NOONE! the article just mentioned how close Manu was, that's all.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Yo Marcus, would you shut the fuck up with the Manu mob shit already!! You're a member of the Tony Parker church and you don't see anyone throwing that in your face! Quit while you're behind

Suck a dick.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 07:01 AM
c'mon guys, can't we all just get along?

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 07:13 AM
the article just mentioned how close Manu was, that's all.

:rolleyes
Who cares?

hendrix
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
:rolleyes
Who cares?

The newspaper is from Bahia Blanca, there's the people that care about it the most, so that's why the newspaper put it.
See? It's easy.