PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report: Kawhi Leonard will sit out tonight (knee); diagnosis 1 game.

ace3g
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs) Injury report: Coach Pop said at shootaround Kawhi Leonard will sit out tonight (knee). Leonard only expected to miss tonight's game.

loveforthegame
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
That sucks. We need him tonight. :td

Hopefully it's just rest since it's for one game.

capek
Shit. really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want this to be a lingering issue for him this season. :(

DesignatedT
Damn.

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Damn it. I'm going to this game. :(

Blizzardwizard
Saving him for tomorrow, no doubt.

TDomination
Shit. really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want this to be a lingering issue for him this season. :(

Seriously :(

Richie
Assuming it is his tendinitis acting up again?

Boomersgold
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Is Jacks playing? Certainly wouldn't want Bonner getting any extended minutes.

bklynspursfan
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Dam.. This really sucks. He missed the last game vs these guys too.

timtonymanu
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Agreed.

Tonight's game just got tougher.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I think its an insurance policy to ensure we at least split the two games against LA and GS

GB20
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
:stirpot:

timtonymanu
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
On the bright side, he's only missing tonight's game. He's probably good to go on any night if we aren't on a b2b.

ace3g
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Let Diaw start at SF

Floyd Pacquiao
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
really hope the tendonitis isn't acting up. his knee is bothering him though on count he's always grimicing after dunking.

RD2191
02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
damn, this blows

boutons_deux
02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Spurs chances seriously degraded

Brunodf
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Shit hope he will not be traded

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Pop just resting the players in the TNT games that he's supposed to rest.

BlackSilver
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Probably just another right knee effusion or whatever that thing is called.

Das Texan
Pop giving TNT and Stern the finger, nothing really to see here.

bluebellmaniac

:lmao

Bruno
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Damn, let's hope it won't turn into an injury that will bother him long term wise. Knee issues could quickly turn into a big deal.

Chinook
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM

I won't believe if unless he rests Green. No way he lets a scrub like Kawhi take the night off and makes his franchise shooting-guard play.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I think its an insurance policy to ensure we at least split the two games against LA and GS

Well we need the one tonight vs. Clipps more than we need to beat a GSW team. This game is very tough already and now just got tougher. We could be facing 0-3 vs this team this year.

EricB
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Throw away game now.

DesignatedT
02-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Manu needs to play 30+ minutes for the Spurs tonight.

Pasta Batman
Well we need the one tonight vs. Clipps more than we need to beat a GSW team. This game is very tough already and now just got tougher. We could be facing 0-3 vs this team this year.

I'm sure it's a mix or rest and health. The GSW is a lot more winnable than Clippers though.

Das Texan
And it allows Vinny to not see the Spurs at full strength, which is just Pop's way of saying, Hi.

capek
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM

:lol

On the plus side, De Colo will probably get more minutes and have a chance to gain some confidence in a nationally televised game.

Chinook
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Seriously, though, I don't think this affects the Spurs' chances tonight at all. Kawhi isn't needed for this game. His offense may have been helpful, but someone else should be able to cover Caron Butler just fine. Really, he can miss the next two games without me worrying about the Spurs' chances.

cd021
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Is Jacks playing? Certainly wouldn't want Bonner getting any extended minutes.

Captain is good to go according to Spurs Nation. Should start unless the go with Neal and Green and backload Jacksons minutes

Man In Black
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Doing this means that the Clippers don't learn anything from playing the Spurs...WIN OR LOSE. The Spurs have already lost to the Clippers twice and for whatever reason, they just didn't sustain the excellence that we normally see from them in those previous losses. It could be CP3 vs TP is an issue. CP3 goes all HARD cause he wants the W, but we all know that last season in the playoffs, the Clippers couldn't do it as evidenced by the sweep.

Should the Spurs meet them again, as currently constructed, with the return of Chauncey Billups and the inclusion of Grant Hill, the Clippers have veteran leadership up and down the roster and should be an even more formidable this year. But then again, the Spurs are playing at an even higher level than last year, should they meet I see Spurs in 6.

cd021
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Seriously, though, I don't think this affects the Spurs' chances tonight at all. Kawhi isn't needed for this game. His offense may have been helpful, but someone else should be able to cover Caron Butler just fine. Really, he can miss the next two games without me worrying about the Spurs' chances.

Agree. Tonight is more about Green's D on Paul and what ever he can contribute from deep. Buttler is more of a stationary player at this point. He doesn't attack nearly as much now.

crc21209
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, tonight's game just got less exciting. Unfortunately this means more minutes for Manu (whos just getting back to normal) and Neal. I can't see Pop giving Jack major minutes after he's missed the past 3 games. This really, really sucks. Our best perimeter defender out against a team who thrives on the perimeter...

cd021
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM

On the plus side, De Colo will probably get more minutes and have a chance to gain some confidence in a nationally televised game.

I really like how Pop is giving De Colo minutes. He can't afford to play him every game but he has been able to start and play big minutes against top teams. He has played well in the @Miami game and chicago game.

Strategic
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Leonard's the perimeter leader on defense, hate to see him miss.

boutons_deux
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Neal and Danny must shoot high %ages.

Darius McCrary
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
1) If his knee is truly suffering from tendonitis, no long term worries here. Assuming the Spurs have athletic trainers worth a crap h just needs to adjust his strengthening regimin to strengthen the musclesaround the knee and/or resolve any muscle imbalance there. However, as i stated in the original kawhi knee thread, it'll be difficult for him to properly rehab that knee in the context of an NBA season. May linger the rest of this season. Probably will.

2) I'm gonna go ahead and call it, CIA Pop. Didn't he sit people against the Clips earlier this season? Also the Spurs hardly seemed to take Clips game 1 seriously this season. I think Pop wants Vinny to stay in the dark on how to defend our full strength team.

Budkin
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Goddamit

Mugen
02-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Non-issue tbh.

My guess is that his tendinitis spreads to Tim & Manu for tomorrow's game.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Non-issue tbh.

My guess is that his tendinitis spreads to Tim & Manu for tomorrow's game.

No doubt.

There's really no reason for either Tim or Manu to play both ends of a B2B for the rest of the season.

Southwest Texas Fan
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
CIA Pop...

SpurPadre
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Pop just doesn't believe in "statement" games in the regular season, that's all.

aal04
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
We need this W a lot more Clippers.

2 straight losses to the Clippers. Sure had some circumstances around them, but the Clippers are a lot better than last year. We need to figure them out more then they need to figure us out. Especially with the coaching gap with Pop.

This is an important game to see how we are truely fairing

Hoops Czar
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Oh, another phantom knee injury. No doubt the same Knee condition that will plague Duncan and Manu against GS.

TampaDude
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Pop giving TNT and Stern the finger, nothing really to see here.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
No doubt.

There's really no reason for either Tim or Manu to play both ends of a B2B for the rest of the season.

Sure, Why lose one when you can lose two. Rest them all or rest none.

boutons_deux
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
0-3 won't be confidence-building

cheguevara
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
0-3 won't be confidence-building

spurs don't need confidence vs. Clippers. Spurs are a veteran bunch, if they lose it will be because the big 3 are old and the role players are playoff pussies(pretty high chance of this)

DesignatedT
02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Regular season outings have always proven to be worthless come playoff time.

timvp
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't think this is CIA Pop. Kawhi said after the Bulls game that his knee is still bothering him. I've seen him flexing it during games to keep it loose.

Sucks, tbh. Hopefully he can somehow get close to 100% between now and the playoffs.

BatManu20
02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
We might as well rest our player tonight and get ready for GS tomorrow night tbh. I hope Pop only plays Tony and Tim a few minutes and lets our bench play the whole game. Give Stern the old middle finger again on national television too.

Spur|n|Austin
02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Well shit, I sure would love to see him ball Butler..

Man In Black
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I think it's CIA. Why let him play in the Rising Stars Challenge at all? Last year he didn't play, this year...he did. If Pop was really concerned, then Kawhi would not have played again.

Why give the Clippers any intel on how the sets are with Kawhi on the court? This way, again, win or lose, the Clippers don't learn much.

101A
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Pop just doesn't believe in "statement" games in the regular season, that's all.

It's not just that he doesn't believe in them, they actually don't exist. This game is, literally, just 1/82...and right now, with the cushion the Spurs have AND the home-heavy remaining schedule, there is no reason to think they won't have HCA, regardless of what happens tonight.

I was thinking before the RRT that if the Spurs were within 2 games of OKC (as in the Spurs TRAILING), the good guys would have a pretty good chance to secure the 1 seed; as it stands now? Damn near a lock.

DesignatedT
02-21-2013, 03:57 PM
We might as well rest our player tonight and get ready for GS tomorrow night tbh. I hope Pop only plays Tony and Tim a few minutes and lets our bench play the whole game. Give Stern the old middle finger again on national television too.

Spurs play on National TV tomorrow also. Spurs can also still win this game without Kawhi. No reason to give up already.

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I think it's CIA. Why let him play in the Rising Stars Challenge at all? Last year he didn't play, this year...he did. If Pop was really concerned, then Kawhi would not have played again.

Why give the Clippers any intel on how the sets are with Kawhi on the court? This way, again, win or lose, the Clippers don't learn much.

I think this is one of those injuries that just won't go away until he gets a lot of rest.

spurraider21
02-21-2013, 04:00 PM
People saying "we don't need him" are getting on my nerves. I went to game 3 of the clippers series last year, and it was Kawhi who was the spark and catalyst of our huge comeback.

I'm goin to be at the game today, sucks he won't be playing.

Chinook
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
People saying "we don't need him" are getting on my nerves. I went to game 3 of the clippers series last year, and it was Kawhi who was the spark and catalyst of our huge comeback.

I'm goin to be at the game today, sucks he won't be playing.

First off, Leonard was one of the sparks on that run, but not the only one.

Second, I believe people are saying that losing Leonard doesn't put the Spurs at some major strategic disadvantage against Los Angeles. There's no one he needs to match-up against for the Spurs to win. Duncan, Parker, Green and Splitter are going to have critical roles in this game. Leonard definitely could have been an X-factor, but he's not necessary to the game plan like he would be against the Thunder.

Third, I'm sorry you won't get to see Leonard play tonight. It sucks buying a ticket for a road game and not seeing that team at full strength.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
I would really fucking like Pop to go all in on an important regular season game, just once. Jesus, what a fucking puss.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
important regular season game

Jumbo shrimp

Military intelligence

you get the idea..

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Jumbo shrimp

Military intelligence

you get the idea..

Spurs haven't treated a regular season game like it's important since 2007. Can you do math?

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Spurs haven't treated a regular season game like it's important since 2007. Can you do math?

Sure can. This, however, isn't a math problem.

EJFischer
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Given our cushion at the top of the conference, I don't particularly care if we win this game. Far more concerned about Kawhi's health. We aren't coming out of the west without him at 100%. His game is crucial for us, but I doubt that he has the kind of experience yet to be able to change it to compensate for nagging injury.

spurraider21
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM
First off, Leonard was one of the sparks on that run, but not the only one.

Second, I believe people are saying that losing Leonard doesn't put the Spurs at some major strategic disadvantage against Los Angeles. There's no one he needs to match-up against for the Spurs to win. Duncan, Parker, Green and Splitter are going to have critical roles in this game. Leonard definitely could have been an X-factor, but he's not necessary to the game plan like he would be against the Thunder.

Third, I'm sorry you won't get to see Leonard play tonight. It sucks buying a ticket for a road game and not seeing that team at full strength.
I demand substantial sanctions. I live in LA and the spurs are only here a few times a year. It's not like Kawhi got dinged during the sacto game

spurraider21
02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I would really fucking like Pop to go all in on an important regular season game, just once. Jesus, what a fucking puss.
CIA Pop too CIA for my liking

Embedded
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
We're going to win, without Mr. Leonard. Clippers haven't played since 2/14, and trade rumors concerning Bledsoe and Jordan might have been unsettling to team chemistry, confidence.

KenziE
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
KL is fine no need to jump ship man emo bunch we got here Lac win by 2 ....

Chinook
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
I demand substantial sanctions. I live in LA and the spurs are only here a few times a year. It's not like Kawhi got dinged during the sacto game

Blame the Lakers, not the Spurs. I don't know what the Lakers had to do with it, but they have more money.

spurraider21
02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Blame the Lakers, not the Spurs. I don't know what the Lakers had to do with it, but they have more money.
:tu

Darius McCrary
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Leonard was massaging his knee lightly when he went you the bench last game, but he was smiling and chit chatting while doing it. I think he'll be okay, for the most part.

ace3g
02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Elliott should send Kawhi his shiny knee brace sleeves and top it off with his elbow sleeve as well.

http://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/top160/photos/Elliott.jpg

bklynspursfan
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Could it mean also they're going to rest Tim/Tony/Manu tomorrow again and rely on Leonard to play a role like he did in the Bulls game?

HI-FI
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
CIA Pop or not, I really hope this is something that can be managed effectively til the offseason, where he can hopefully make a complete recovery. I don't even mind sitting him a few games if it improves our chances in the playoffs. as i've said before, i just hope his knee is alright for the duration of this season/career.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
CIA Pop or not, I really hope this is something that can be managed effectively til the offseason, where he can hopefully make a complete recovery. I don't even mind sitting him a few games if it improves our chances in the playoffs. as i've said before, i just hope his knee is alright for the duration of this season/career.

In the interview at shootaround, Pop said that they wanted to make sure that they didn't do anything that would "prevent him from playing heavy minutes in the playoffs".

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Sure can. This, however, isn't a math problem.

True, but the math tells you that the Spurs haven't won a title since Pop started pulling this cutesy shit.

benefactor
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
True, but the math tells you that the Spurs haven't won a title since Pop started pulling this cutesy shit.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Moving on from oxymorons to correlation/causation.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Given our cushion at the top of the conference, I don't particularly care if we win this game. Far more concerned about Kawhi's health. We aren't coming out of the west without him at 100%. His game is crucial for us, but I doubt that he has the kind of experience yet to be able to change it to compensate for nagging injury.

I don't particularly understand why Kawhi's knee was worth risking for an exhibition game and for Sacramento, but not for a team that will probably end up the Spurs' opponent in the conference finals, and also a team that's pasted them twice.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Moving on from oxymorons to correlation/causation.

If you say so. The Spurs don't take games seriously anymore, and they've been embarrassed in the playoffs every single year since then.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
If you say so. The Spurs don't take games seriously anymore, and they've been embarrassed in the playoffs every single year since then.

If you say so.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
And a new pet theory was born.

manufan10
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM

I'd say there were a few embarrassments, but far from every single year being an embarrassment.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
I'd say there were a few embarrassments, but far from every single year being an embarrassment.

Really? 4-1 to the Lakers, 4-1 to Dallas, 4-0 to Phoenix, 1 losing to 8 and losing four straight after 20 in a row. Which one wasn't embarrassing?

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
And a new pet theory was born.

Been saying this for years. Probably since the last time you contributed to a thread that didn't involve the D League.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Been saying this for years. Probably since the last time you contributed to a thread that didn't involve the D League.OK -- and a pet theory was repeated for years, along with a lame attempt at an insult.

manufan10
02-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Really? 4-1 to the Lakers, 4-1 to Dallas, 4-0 to Phoenix, 1 losing to 8 and losing four straight after 20 in a row. Which one wasn't embarrassing?

I'd explain it to you, but it would just be a waste of time. You're not going to agree anyways. You just want to :cry about something.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
I'd explain it to you, but it would just be a waste of time. You're not going to agree anyways. You just want to :cry about something.Been saying this for years.

Not D-League related.

EJFischer
02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't particularly understand why Kawhi's knee was worth risking for an exhibition game and for Sacramento, but not for a team that will probably end up the Spurs' opponent in the conference finals, and also a team that's pasted them twice.

Exhibition game isn't relevant, that's the player's call. It's not like Popovich chose to activate him for the Rising Stars Challenge. It's also not like that was a particularly contact-heavy event. Rule number 1 of All Star weekend is don't hurt anyone.

For Sacramento they clearly didn't think it was a risk. Since Sacramento, they do. Tonight is a road game on a back to back against a tough team, and we have a cushion at the 1-seed. The logic for protecting your crucial asset given knee trouble after the last game is clear. It costs very little and could be hugely beneficial by the postseason.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd explain it to you, but it would just be a waste of time. You're not going to agree anyways. You just want to :cry about something.

Apology accepted.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
For Sacramento they clearly didn't think it was a risk. Since Sacramento, they do.
What an incredible coincidence.

Ice009
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM

This statement sums up what I have been thinking about it for the last three seasons. We've been embarrassed every time since Pop started doing this. I didn't agree with it back in 2009 and I still don't agree with it now.

Arcadian
02-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Wow, people are talking in this thread like he's out for the season. It's one fucking game, and he just played the rising stars game and looked really good. Chill the fuck out.

Bill_Brasky
02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Ugh

EJFischer
02-22-2013, 12:19 AM
What an incredible coincidence.

Are you actually having difficulty grasping the idea of consensus changing with the collection of more data, or are you just being obdurate?

Fireball
02-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Wow, people are talking in this thread like he's out for the season. It's one fucking game, and he just played the rising stars game and looked really good. Chill the fuck out.

You think he looked good? I really thought he cringed after making his first 3pointer in that rsing stars game - maybe because of his knee still bothering him. He better should not have played at All-Star Weekend ...

exstatic
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Probably just another right knee effusion or whatever that thing is called.

That's what I was thinking. Kawhi's been carrying a big chunk of the load in the last month. With the Big Three back in play, he could stand some rest, but at this point, Pop is probably paranoid about just resting players for a NT game. Everyone will have some malady listed if they don't play, like the knee effusion. If it were really the tendonitis, I wouldn't think it would be only one game.

TampaDude
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Heh...guess we really didn't need KL last night...

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Does he have the green light for tonight?

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Are you actually having difficulty grasping the idea of consensus changing with the collection of more data, or are you just being obdurate?

His knee was a problem before all-star weekend. Manipulate it all you want, but the data doesn't change. You seem to be refusing to grasp the reality that Pop holds players out of big games, and has done it so consistently that nobody's really surprised that he chose last night to hold Kawhi out.

DesignatedT
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
His knee was a problem before all-star weekend. Manipulate it all you want, but the data doesn't change. You seem to be refusing to grasp the reality that Pop holds players out of big games, and has done it so consistently that nobody's really surprised that he chose last night to hold Kawhi out.

Still at it? Last night game must be eating you up. How dare Pop sit out a starter and win by 30!

Chinook
02-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I hope people on this board can stop overrating Leonard now. He's a solid player and a strong piece for the future, but he's not one of the Big Three.

Pop
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I hope people on this board can stop overrating Leonard now. He's a solid player and a strong piece for the future, but he's not one of the Big Three.

I don't think his importance is overated, especially when you consider Pop absolute refusal to start SJax when Leonard is out and instead going small with Green and Neal at the 2 and 3.

It's one game, for one game KY was the leading scorer on a big 3 less team that beat a playoff team...

Green had an extremely nice game tho and the Clips starting 3 is not exactly a monster, but I don't think we can rely on him having this kind of game on a regular basis at this point.

This is Paranoid Pop btw, I'm locked out of my account, can't remember my pw or the random email I used to register...

Chinook
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't think his importance is overated, especially when you consider Pop absolute refusal to start SJax when Leonard is out and instead going small with Green and Neal at the 2 and 3.

It's one game, for one game KY was the leading scorer on a big 3 less team that beat a playoff team...

Green had an extremely nice game tho and the Clips starting 3 is not exactly a monster, but I don't think we can rely on him having this kind of game on a regular basis at this point.

This is Paranoid Pop btw, I'm locked out of my account, can't remember my pw or the random email I used to register...

You could always try to PM Kori or timvp.

As far as Leonard goes, I don't think there's any doubt that he's important to the stretch run, but really, all of the Spurs' top eight are important. I just don't get why people though that sitting Kawhi with a known injury was tantamount to conceding a game for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Still at it? Last night game must be eating you up. How dare Pop sit out a starter and win by 30!

No. Last night game good. Pop love sit starter still fact. You make strawman that fail.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Because the Clippers didn't show up for the game, KL's suddenly overrated? You clearly have not been watching the defense with Duncan, KL and Splitter on the front line. The fact that they didn't happen to need him doesn't diminish his value going forward.

Wait, you're trolling right?

Chinook
02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Because the Clippers didn't show up for the game, KL's suddenly overrated? You clearly have not been watching the defense with Duncan, KL and Splitter on the front line. The fact that they didn't happen to need him doesn't diminish his value going forward.

Wait, you're trolling right?

I'm not trolling. I think Leonard is a fine player, but he's not up there with the Big Three. People in this thread were acting like he makes or breaks this roster on any given night, and that's just not the case. If Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are playing, I expect the Spurs to beat any team they play, no matter who else is out.

DesignatedT
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Spurs aren't winning a ring without Leonard just like they won't win a ring without any of the big 3. Maybe it's time you realize that. He might not be on the level of the big 3 just yet but he's just as important in order to accomplish the ultimate goal.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Spurs aren't winning a ring without Leonard just like they won't win a ring without any of the big 3. Maybe it's time you realize that. He might not be on the level of the big 3 just yet but he's just as important in order to accomplish the ultimate goal.

They're not going to win without Splitter, either, but you don't see people conceding games when he doesn't play. Maybe it's time you learn to read my posts before criticizing me. I didn't say the Spurs could win a title without him (or Splitter, or Diaw, or Green, or Jack now). I was specifically addressing people thinking the Spurs can't win ANY given game without him.

DesignatedT
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
They're not going to win without Splitter, either, but you don't see people conceding games when he doesn't play. Maybe it's time you learn to read my posts before criticizing me. I didn't say the Spurs could win a title without him (or Splitter, or Diaw, or Green, or Jack now). I was specifically addressing people thinking the Spurs can't win ANY given game without him.

I think you would have seen the same reactions had Splitter been ruled out before last nights game.

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Both guys are very important to winning. Not having either would be a big blow. It's pretty simple, that both guys have been key to putting the Spurs into an even higher level than they were last season.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I think you would have seen the same reactions had Splitter been ruled out before last nights game.

Maybe, and if there were an easy way to determine that, I'd owe you an apology. But when Splitter was missing games last year, I don't recall people having the same doomsday predictions. I was just casually lurking at that time, though, so I can't say anything for sure.

I do know that the Spurs have gone through stretches without Duncan and Ginobili this season, and the board was generally optimistic during many of those games. The Spurs even played well when Leonard missed all of those games earlier this season. I think people freaking out about Leonard missing a game shows a lack of faith in the rest of the Spurs' players. If San Antonio can blow out Chicago without any of the Big Three, we damned sure should have expected a healthy Spurs to beat Los Angeles.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Both guys are very important to winning. Not having either would be a big blow. It's pretty simple, that both guys have been key to putting the Spurs into an even higher level than they were last season.

Exactly, but the Spurs' system is can survive a player missing a game, no matter who that player is. It's like people on this board were saying, "I know the Spurs can beat teams without Duncan and/or Ginobili, but Leonard is more important than those guys most of the time." They (meaning the bloggers) were even saying on 48 Minutes of Hell that Leonard may have supplanted Manu in the Big Three. It's that kind of crap that just drives me up a wall.

capek
02-22-2013, 04:13 PM
That's what I was thinking. Kawhi's been carrying a big chunk of the load in the last month. With the Big Three back in play, he could stand some rest, but at this point, Pop is probably paranoid about just resting players for a NT game. Everyone will have some malady listed if they don't play, like the knee effusion. If it were really the tendonitis, I wouldn't think it would be only one game.

I think it's probably the tendonitis, but it was about not having Kawhi play both games of a back to back, rather than the tendonitis flairing up to the point where it was dangerous to let him play at all. With a day between games I bet Kawhi would have played both. I'm sure Pop was thinking he'd have to rest Timmy and/or Manu tonight after a tough game against the Clips, so was planning to stagger who would sit for each game. It's definitely a bonus that Kawhi was able to sit and we were still able to get such an easy win.

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Exactly, but the Spurs' system is can survive a player missing a game, no matter who that player is. It's like people on this board were saying, "I know the Spurs can beat teams without Duncan and/or Ginobili, but Leonard is more important than those guys most of the time." They (meaning the bloggers) were even saying on 48 Minutes of Hell that Leonard may have supplanted Manu in the Big Three. It's that kind of crap that just drives me up a wall.

A game or two in the season won't matter. As far as importance to team, I do like less reliance on Manu though. I don't think he can play those big minutes anymore, and Pop is better served by varying it up more. I like that Nando is on the team and can bring some of what Manu can from playmaking, while Kawhi brings some of his defensive attributes. No one will replace Manu, but I'm glad there are several guys who bring various attributes that he has.

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
A game or two in the season won't matter. As far as importance to team, I do like less reliance on Manu though. I don't think he can play those big minutes anymore, and Pop is better served by varying it up more. I like that Nando is on the team and can bring some of what Manu can from playmaking, while Kawhi brings some of his defensive attributes. No one will replace Manu, but I'm glad there are several guys who bring various attributes that he has.

Well put my friend.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Sure. The Spurs' chances of winning a title hinge of the Big Three playing to the best of their abilities, the Medium Three (Splitter, Leonard and Green) playing well on both sides of the ball, with at least one of them rising up to near-Big Three status each game, and the pack finding ways to fill in the cracks. If any of those three things fails to occur, the Spurs will be watching the Finals from home.

DesignatedT
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
I do know that the Spurs have gone through stretches without Duncan and Ginobili this season, and the board was generally optimistic during many of those games. The Spurs even played well when Leonard missed all of those games earlier this season. I think people freaking out about Leonard missing a game shows a lack of faith in the rest of the Spurs' players. If San Antonio can blow out Chicago without any of the Big Three, we damned sure should have expected a healthy Spurs to beat Los Angeles.

I understand what you were getting at now, Spurs fans should know not to count out the Spurs no matter who is in/out of the lineup. Saying that, I don't think Leonard is "overrated" at all.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I understand what you were getting at now, Spurs fans should know not to count out the Spurs no matter who is in/out of the lineup. Saying that, I don't think Leonard is "overrated" at all.

I can't stress enough how much I like Leonard as a player. I think he's a key part to the team's success and will hopefully be around for years to come. But as I said in another post, you have people saying things like Leonard has pushed Manu out of the Big Three, or that Leonard is the leader of the perimeter defense.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 05:01 PM
This was in the 48 Minutes of Hell article recapping the Kings' game (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-kings-tony-parker-rodeo-road-trip-kawhi-leonard):

The gradual rise of Kawhi Leonard also resumed its mission on Tuesday night. Leonard scored 15 points on 4-of-11 shooting. It wasn’t the most efficient night from the floor for Leonard, but the second year forward forced six foul shots and made the sort of intangible plays that help negate poor shooting percentages. One one play in the second half, Leonard used his unusually long arms (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/kawhi-leonard-spurs-defense) to save a ball going out of bounds along the baseline right to Tim Duncan under the basket, who was able to draw a shooting foul.

Even with Manu Ginobili back in the rotation and playing well (12 points, seven rebounds), Leonard is making his case for membership in the Spurs’ big three. It’s like that scene in Drumline where Nick Cannon has to challenge someone to take their spot on the varsity (or whatever it’s called) [Andrew's note: Actually it wasn't Nick Cannon's character, it was another one. Check the comments below.]. Leonard’s working up the gusto right now to take on Ginobili.

Is the only choice we have whether to blindly hate on a player or to make irrational extensions like this? That game wasn't even a great example of Leonard's potential.

TheSkeptic
02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
This was in the 48 Minutes of Hell article recapping the Kings' game (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-kings-tony-parker-rodeo-road-trip-kawhi-leonard):

Is the only choice we have whether to blindly hate on a player or to make irrational extensions like this? That game wasn't even a great example of Leonard's potential.

I like 48MOH but their basketball analysis is not as good as what you read from the regulars here even tbh. This is probably worse than the one time I saw an article there where the writer suggested starting Bonner next to TD.

Leonard's a great player who's undoubtedly useful to have (I mean I've pretty much forgotten about Hill and I was heartbroken when he left :lol), but fans like those ones are letting the Chicago game cloud their perceptions and they're not really looking at Leonard in the present imo.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not trolling. I think Leonard is a fine player, but he's not up there with the Big Three. People in this thread were acting like he makes or breaks this roster on any given night, and that's just not the case. If Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are playing, I expect the Spurs to beat any team they play, no matter who else is out.

He's not an all-star, so he's automatically not Manu, Parker or Duncan. If the Spurs want to win a title, however, they aren't doing it without a healthy Leonard starting next to Duncan and Splitter.

Chinook
02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
He's not an all-star, so he's automatically not Manu, Parker or Duncan. If the Spurs want to win a title, however, they aren't doing it without a healthy Leonard starting next to Duncan and Splitter.

Sure. If you want, you can read the recent part of the thread to see that we all agreed on that. I was talking about something else.

SupremeGuy
02-22-2013, 08:48 PM
So is my boy Kawhi playing tonight?

DesignatedT
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs
Kawhi Leonard will return to action to tonight against Golden State. #GoSpursGo

Obstructed_View
02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Sure. If you want, you can read the recent part of the thread to see that we all agreed on that. I was talking about something else.

About how overrated he is. Yeah, it sounds stupid to say.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
and they won't do it with out a healthy Ginobili either.

True, but less so than in previous seasons. There are playoff scenarios where Leonard is probably as vital as Manu to the team's chances.

Chinook
02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
About how overrated he is. Yeah, it sounds stupid to say.

So you don't read the thread and then try to respond a day later?

I was talking about how silly it was to think Leonard was so important that though the team has gone on winning streaks missing him, Jack and the Big Three at points, that people would think him being out for a game automatically meant a loss. Seeing as the Spurs blew the Clippers out, I think my annoyance at those bad takes was warranted.

I also said that Leonard is getting overrated by people who think he's already a star, or even anymore than a role player right now. I posted a quote for 48MoH to show what I meant.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2013, 06:00 PM
So you don't read the thread and then try to respond a day later?
I responded immediately. The Clippers didn't show up and you think that means Leonard's overrated. You responded, I responded. I don't see where time passing between responses makes your take any less dumb.

I was talking about how silly it was to think Leonard was so important that though the team has gone on winning streaks missing him, Jack and the Big Three at points, that people would think him being out for a game automatically meant a loss. Seeing as the Spurs blew the Clippers out, I think my annoyance at those bad takes was warranted.
Don't recall anyone saying his absence automatically means a loss. A big win in his absence doesn't mean he's not a huge cog in this team's title chances.

I also said that Leonard is getting overrated by people who think he's already a star, or even anymore than a role player right now. I posted a quote for 48MoH to show what I meant.
A star, no. Part of the big three, obviously not. Any more than a role player right now? Um, yeah.

Chinook
02-23-2013, 07:19 PM
I responded immediately. The Clippers didn't show up and you think that means Leonard's overrated. You responded, I responded. I don't see where time passing between responses makes your take any less dumb.

No, you waited a 20 hours after I suggested you read the thread to see what my argument was (because you obviously hadn't), and then your response showed you STILL hadn't read the thread. It's cool if you didn't want to do it, but you shouldn't have tried to continue to the argument then.

Don't recall anyone saying his absence automatically means a loss. A big win in his absence doesn't mean he's not a huge cog in this team's title chances.

Yeah, that's why it's clear you hadn't read the thread (or even my responses). No one was arguing whether Leonard was needed for the Spurs to win a title. I was specifically addressing the doom-and-gloom attitude in this thread. People were talking about Pop sitting Leonard as a sign he didn't take the game seriously, and many were predicting a loss here and in the game thread. You know that attitude very well, since you were spearheading it.

A star, no. Part of the big three, obviously not. Any more than a role player right now? Um, yeah.

There are stars and then there are role players (and then non-factors). There is no in-between. There are varying degrees of role players, for sure. Bruce Bowen was on another level than Robert Horry, who was on another level than Steve Kerr, Kevin Willis and the like. Role players are necessary to win a title. Jack was a role player in 2003, for example. It's not an insult to call someone that, especially in their second year. Leonard will have to play his role for the Spurs to win, as will Splitter and Green.

The basic issue I have with much of your argument is that it blurs this distinction. Shane Battier was essential for the Heat to win last season, but would have seemed crazy if Heat fans had freaked out when Battier got injured this season. Likewise, it would have made little sense for Mavericks fans to be more upset about JJ Barea leaving than Tyson Chandler leaving. Essential (even critical) role players are still role players.

Juan
07-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Leonard arguably the Spurs best player in the NBA Finals.