PDA

View Full Version : What teams have better 1 and 5 spots in the NBA?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Parker
Udrih
Barry

Mohammed
Duncan
Nesterovic

In the NBA, the 1 and 5 spots are the toughest spots to fill. Teams waste untold numbers of draft picks and long term contracts trying to stabilize those spots.

I posit that the Spurs are blessed with stability and quality of talent at both of those spots and that is without even considering that TD sees significant minutes at the 5. They have both an above average starter at those spots as well as an above average backup...and they are all under 30 years old sans Barry (who only sees occassional minutes at the 1).

This is why I am critical of desires in this forum to trade any of the Spurs' talent at point guard or center. There truly isn't a need to, especially when you realize that the Spurs' major need is a backup small forward who can give you 10 to 15 minutes a night. Much better to fill that need with a veteran free agent for a small, short term contract or to get away with using a platoon of Barry, Brown and/or Manu there.

The only thing that could screw this up would be an erroneous personnel decision or worse, a move motivated by budgetary, not basketball, concerns.

I'll close with a rather appropriate cliche: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

constantstate
07-04-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah we're semi-blessed. i like beno and the idea of barry/manu as backup help too... but not if we get to the playoffs and play parker 48mins because no one can bring the ball up against pressure. they have to start giving the ball to manu/barry more in the regular season to get them used to that.

i like rasho because against centers like shaq and yao, he'd actually see playing time... so the depth there is great too. nazr and rasho didnt co-exist though... we saw nazr come in late, and then rasho got hurt... so nazr basically took over the starting spot and all the mins. it would be cool to see what they do with a full season together.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:21 PM
If Beno wasn't a rookie I might be concerned. If we are having this same discussion two years from now, then yeah, we can start virtually trading him.

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Are they sending Beno to the summer league? He could use some work on his skills, and that can do nothing but help him.

E20
07-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Miami and Detroit have good starting 1 and 5 postions. Can't say much about there backups though. Same with Phoneix if you count Amare as a C.

constantstate
07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Miami and Detroit have good starting 1 and 5 postions. Can't say much about there backups though. Same with Phoneix if you count Amare as a C.
if you can count that, then you'd have to count miller and bibby... if bibby hadnt turned into a bricklayer after being a playoff mini-legend.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Can't really get away with calling TMac a 1.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd say that overall, Detroit has excellent 1 and 5 spots. Sure, Arroyo struggled against one of the top 2 defenses in the NBA but so did Beno. Hunter was great for them in the Finals. Their 5 spot is quite solid as well.

diego
07-04-2005, 04:57 PM
the only ones that matter are
nuggets: Miller - Camby & pistons: billups - wallace

I'd trade parker, rasho, and nazr for any combination of those (but i have a feeling it still wouldnt add up salary wise)

but yes point well taken, the spurs are fortunate, though they dont have the best individuals in these positions they are fairly deep, assuming beno matures and acclimates a little more this coming season