PDA

View Full Version : Official Buyout Watch List

ace3g
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Well Spurs decided to stand pat after the trade deadline, doesn't mean they can't look at the buyout options like last year (Diaw).

Also Donte Greene is still available and linked to the Spurs in workouts and one of the teams interested.

Shifty
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Can't we take a day off?

DesignatedT
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Who are some candidates? Big guys in Dallas?

Mel_13
Luxury tax implications make this very unlikely.

Pasta Batman
Drop Blair. He obviously has very little interest. Green at this point is better than Blair potentially.

crc21209
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
But is there even anybody worth mentioning that may get bought out this season?

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Spurs would obviously have to remove Blair from the team. It's not like people really want him.

ace3g
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Can't we take a day off?

Probably, but just creating a thread so when that time comes, people have a place to post news/updates.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Spurs would obviously have to remove Blair from the team. It's not like people really want him.

Unless he is claimed off waivers, the Spurs can't get rid of his salary and they're right up against the tax line right now.

benefactor
02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Gotta have a roster spot first.

loveforthegame
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
The Spurs are too close to the LT to waive a player and gamble on whether another team would claim them.

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Unless he is claimed off waivers, the Spurs can't get rid of his salary and they're right up against the tax line right now.

Good point. If no one wanted to trade for him, it's highly doubtful that anyone would pick his ass up.

bklynspursfan
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
I thought we would've needed to get rid of someone in order to add anyone else?

TrueSpursFan
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN: With roster at max 15, Spurs gonna have trouble doing the bought-out FA thing. So close to luxury tax, might not have been option anyhow.

Spur|n|Austin
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Probably, but just creating a thread so when that time comes, people have a place to post news/updates.

:tu

dunkman
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Spurs only have $750K left, after that luxury tax kick in. 750K for 1/3 the season, will K-Mart consider that?

Bruno
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Spurs have enough space below the tax to waive a player and sign someone for the rest of the season.

The only candidate to be waived/bought out is Blair. I don't think Spurs will do it on their own but if Blair wants to be freed, Spurs will grant his wish.

Saying that, I haven't heard of a single player available or who could be bought out, that would make some kind of difference for Spurs.

cd98
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Good thing we used our last roster spot on Baynes.

Chinook
02-21-2013, 03:39 PM

It shouldn't. The Spurs are about 600k under the tax line. That's enough room to fit a pro-rated minimum deal, maybe even two by the time the deadline hits.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Spurs have enough space below the tax to waive a player and sign someone for the rest of the season.

The only candidate to be waived/bought out is Blair. I don't think Spurs will do it on their own but if Blair wants to be freed, Spurs will grant his wish.

Saying that, I haven't heard of a single player available or who could be bought out, that would make some kind of difference for Spurs.

Good to know that the option exists.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 03:40 PM
It shouldn't. The Spurs are about 600k under the tax line. That's enough room to fit a pro-rated minimum deal, maybe even two by the time the deadline hits.

I thought they were much closer to line after the Baynes signing. I stand corrected.

timvp
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is the only mildly interesting name I've seen so far.

Sdayi135
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Spurs only have $750K left, after that luxury tax kick in. 750K for 1/3 the season, will K-Mart consider that?

KMart will probably go to Miami after the Pittman trade.

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is the only mildly interesting name I've seen so far.

I think Donte Green if he were available would be a good one to bring in early for early evaluation before the summer. Spurs have been good about this in past seasons recently.

Chinook
02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I thought they were much closer to line after the Baynes signing. I stand corrected.

We were all thinking they would be back when it was reported that Baynes would get a four-year, $3.2 Million deal. But his minimum deal only ended up using 240k if I recall correctly. So the Spurs were able to save most of that space.

jestersmash
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Can't we take a day off?

What are you talking about?

sananspursfan21
02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
i really don't care, the whole team chemistry deal is really working right now. i'm indifferent, it was good news to me that there was no trade at the deadline. donte green wouldn't be a bad addition but otherwise i'd almost rather they didn't move anybody

Anonymous Cowherd
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
apparently Hakim Warrick will be waived FWIW

jjktkk
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Well Spurs decided to stand pat after the trade deadline, doesn't mean they can't look at the buyout options like last year (Diaw).

Also Donte Greene is still available and linked to the Spurs in workouts and one of the teams interested.

Familar with Green's collegiate career, but what about his NBA career? Has Green been a starter, or a rotation player in the past?

jyra
02-21-2013, 06:55 PM

So that's one option off the table.

SURGE
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
SPURS should pick up Greene n waive blair

SpurSpurSpurs
02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
KMart will probably go to Miami after the Pittman trade.

Sad that KMart goes to the Knicks. NY may have the oldest roster in the league and still acquiring.

Strategic
02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Another possibility is to waive Blair and bring up either Rick Jackson or Jamychal Green from the Toros. Green has been a monster on the boards, grabbing almost 40 total in the last three games alone. Jackson plays under the glass well. Both of these guys are true 6'9". Green appears to have the edge in athleticism among the two, along with being able to hit his free throws.

Concerning Donte Greene, earlier this year I wanted the Spurs to take a look at him, but this late in the season I'm not sure how he would both be able to get into game shape, along with learning enough to fit with the team. He has not played in a game this year to my knowledge.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Another possibility is to waive Blair and bring up either Rick Jackson or Jamychal Green from the Toros. Green has been a monster on the boards, grabbing almost 40 total in the last three games alone. Jackson plays under the glass well. Both of these guys are true 6'9". Green appears to have the edge in athleticism among the two, along with being able to hit his free throws.

Concerning Donte Greene, earlier this year I wanted the Spurs to take a look at him, but this late in the season I'm not sure how he would both be able to get into game shape, along with learning enough to fit with the team. He has not played in a game this year to my knowledge.

a toro would be a smart move. the guy would know the spurs system.

exstatic
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM

He still has to be paid, and there isn't a minimum salary between where we are now and the tax.

Not happening.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
He still has to be paid, and there isn't a minimum salary between where we are now and the tax.

Not happening.

I thought so, too. Turns out, there is. The Spurs can waive Blair and sign another player to a prorated portion of the minimum salary while remaining under the tax line. See Bruno's post on the first page of this thread.

exstatic
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I thought so, too. Turns out, there is. The Spurs can waive Blair and sign another player to a prorated portion of the minimum salary while remaining under the tax line. See Bruno's post on the first page of this thread.

I think Bruno is figuring that Blair will take nothing in order to be released. That might leave enough room. That's unlikely, though. The usual buyout is 50% of remaining salary. That would cut into whatever Bruno was calculating by about $200K.

raybies
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Why would spurs waive Blair now and get nothing?

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
I think Bruno is figuring that Blair will take nothing in order to be released. That might leave enough room. That's unlikely, though. The usual buyout is 50% of remaining salary. That would cut into whatever Bruno was calculating by about $200K.

No, they have enough room even if they pay off Blair's full salary. I don't believe such a move is very likely at all, but it is possible to make such a move and remain under the tax.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Why would spurs waive Blair now and get nothing?

In order to sign a free agent that they believe can help the team more than Blair.

Strategic
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
I think Bruno is figuring that Blair will take nothing in order to be released. That might leave enough room. That's unlikely, though. The usual buyout is 50% of remaining salary. That would cut into whatever Bruno was calculating by about $200K.So then maybe the only way for the Spurs to come away with any room is for Blair to ask to be released. I'm not sure why he would do this. He's been rumored to be wanting out for some time(though rumors are like .........), but if he believes the Spurs have been trying to find someone interested in him and have found not takers, Why would he think he could find someone interested enough to pay him for the rest of this season and beyond?

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Another possibility is to waive Blair and bring up either Rick Jackson or Jamychal Green from the Toros. Green has been a monster on the boards, grabbing almost 40 total in the last three games alone. Jackson plays under the glass well. Both of these guys are true 6'9". Green appears to have the edge in athleticism among the two, along with being able to hit his free throws.Man, Blair would average 20 points and 20 rebounds in the D-League.

Spursfanfromafar
02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Don't know if any of them will be useful - but the Bucks will surely waive some of its excess front court list. They have 8 members in Ilyasova, Dalembert, Gooden, Henson, Sanders, Ayon, Przybilla, Udoh. I reckon they will retain their young core - Henson, Sanders, Ayon, Udoh, Ilyasova.. and Gooden's long contract makes him un-waivable. That means, Dalembert and Przybilla will be expended and I want neither of them.

raybies
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
In order to sign a free agent that they believe can help the team more than Blair.In that case they could have easily got a second... IMO (see warriors trades) Either way it was said our demands were too high, I doubt we waive a player we stood by at the deadline ... but whatya know

Chinook
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
It would take a great player being bought out for the Spurs to release Blair. I'd think it would be more likely that they release Baynes if anything.

Strategic
02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Man, Blair would average 20 points and 20 rebounds in the D-League.........and still be a twitter baby hanging his dirty laundry out for the whole world to see.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
........and still be a twitter baby hanging his dirty laundry out for the whole world to see.That's not a reason to waive him.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 10:14 PM
In that case they could have easily got a second... IMO (see warriors trades) Either way it was said our demands were too high, I doubt we waive a player we stood by at the deadline ... but whatya know

The Warriors added cash to get those teams to take their players. The draft picks they received in return are protected to the point that they'll never be conveyed. If the Spurs were willing to pay someone to take Blair, he'd be gone right now.

And I agree, it's doubtful that they waive Blair, but it is possible.

Strategic
02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
That's not a reason to waive him. You're right, but a 6'6" center that hasn't improved on his 4 feet from the hoop game is troubling. I agree that he is a decent insurance player and his price is right.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Man, Blair would average 20 points and 20 rebounds in the D-League.

i don't think he would

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 12:13 AM
i don't think he would

and even if he did, he still wouldn't average 1 block.

DJR210
02-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Can't we take a day off? Take as many days off as you need, I personally like the thread.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
i don't think he wouldYou're probably right. I'm underestimating.

Poolboy5623
02-22-2013, 12:49 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about...no other contender made a move, why should the spurs? They have depth at every position and no one is gonna come around thats going to make a difference. Hell I even like baynes, for what he is...a big body(that's actually tall to)..I hope he makes the playoff roster..I just don't get it, this team is playing some of the best ball I've seen and ya wanna change it up?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about...no other contender made a move, why should the spurs? They have depth at every position and no one is gonna come around thats going to make a difference. Hell I even like baynes, for what he is...a big body(that's actually tall to)..I hope he makes the playoff roster..I just don't get it, this team is playing some of the best ball I've seen and ya wanna change it up?

keeping blair just for the sake of his corporate knowledge is dumb. he is worthless. look at the garbage minutes against the clipps last night, specifically blair. he was guarding wings very poorly, and looking lost on offense. who sets the screens, who's suppose to score on a blair/baynes garbage time rotation? trick question, a bonner/baynes rotation woulda kept running it up. blair shouldn't be on the team.

one better, how about baynes/toros green, free agent greene, or casspi? maybe they wouldn't have been running it up, but at least they'd be gaining experience. there'd be more to be hopeful about.

the spurs are the top seed. the spurs do look like they are going all the way. every player is arguably serviceable, except one. blair has no place. there's no room for a wasted roster spot on the spurs. bottom line. it's too late to hope for change, but i'd get used to some grumpy posts for a few games.

is it excessive to expect the weakest player on the team to be dealt with immediately? imo it's just competitive.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Is Donte Green so much better than Blair that he will make a difference this season/playoffs?

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
There's no player that can make a difference like Diaw did last season. Last season Blair was still a starter when Diaw was acquired. Diaw pushed Blair out the starting line-up and out of the rotation completely. There is no similar weak link among the Spurs' top 8 players this year.

CGD
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Can someone provide a run down of any key dates, if any, for such waivers to be finalized?

not sure what the Oden situation is, but that's a player I would release Blair for if he wants to sign here to rehab. The rest of the season in the hopes of him staying longer term.

FireMicoHalili
02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Take as many days off as you need, I personally like the thread.
Tang ina ka

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Is Donte Green so much better than Blair that he will make a difference this season/playoffs?

it's not about making the difference right away. it's about having the better upside and making the most of a spot on the roster.

blair isn't coming back, at least i sure hope not. he shouldn't even play over baynes this season. why not give the blairs spot away?

green or somebody could start learning right away. maybe provide some value in a unlikely injury situation. both win now and win later are positively affected by adding anybody useful over blair. blair is hopelessly undersized. his corporate knowledge does nothing, he doesn't have the skills to pair it with.

Bruno
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
More details on Spurs luxury tax situation:
Spurs are $556K below the tax.
Signing a player today to the min for the rest of the season would cost $276K against the tax.
So, even when factoring things like unlikely bonuses that could raise Spurs team salaries, Spurs can without a problem waive a player and sign someone else for the rest of the season.

To me, the key question is what Blair wants. There are two options:

1) Blair is fine with staying a Spurs for the rest of the season.
Is there an available player worth waiving Blair?

2) Blair wants to be bought out or waived.
Should Spurs keep an unhappy Blair or accepting his request?

In the case 1), I think the answer is no. I don't see a player significantly better than Blair available.
In the case 2), I would be for letting Blair go. Blair isn't good enough to risk hurting the chemistry and he deserves that "gift".

Strategic
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
The only man out there that could fit in with the team this year and knows the schemes is McDyess. Antonio is capable of playing the 4 and 5 position on the team. The question is, if he would be willing to come back to the Spurs for this year, would you rather have him on the bench than Blair? Just asking

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM

No, but he might have a future with the team beyond this season.

Besides, I'm not exactly convinced that Blair does anything to make this team better. He is wholly reliant on others to create his offense for him, and then he just gives it back on the next possesion either with a boneheaded turnover or his matador defense.

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Signing a player today to the min for the rest of the season would cost $276K against the tax.
So, even when factoring things like unlikely bonuses that could raise Spurs team salaries, Spurs can without a problem waive a player and sign someone else for the rest of the season.

In the case 1), I think the answer is no. I don't see a player significantly better than Blair available.
In the case 2), I would be for letting Blair go. Blair isn't good enough to risk hurting the chemistry and he deserves that "gift".

Realistically speaking, Blair might be interested in moving on to another team where he has a chance to play. Then again, he might be more interested in riding the playoff train again this year and maybe getting to be a part of a championship team. Sure he probably won't play, but they came pretty close last year and since hes here already... Theres always next season for him to get playing time on a new squad, afterall.

I could just see this playing out either way.

Shifty
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM

What are you talking about?

Take as many days off as you need, I personally like the thread.
I was joking because this thread was made minutes after the trade deadline. It was "exhausting" to be waiting for a trade and then when it was finally over there is a new deadline to keep an eye on.

Realistically speaking, Blair might be interested in moving on to another team where he has a chance to play. Then again, he might be more interested in riding the playoff train again this year and maybe getting to be a part of a championship team. Sure he probably won't play, but they came pretty close last year and since hes here already... Theres always next season for him to get playing time on a new squad, afterall.
I believe he would prefer to stay. He will probably not play that much, but if he does play well, even for a little while and the Spurs go far (title even better), he could turn that into extra money in free agency. Think of Barea, Ariza, every player that hit free agency after a championship regardless of contribution (Bulls, Lakers, Spurs).

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 04:07 PM

I could just see this playing out either way.

He cannot earn a new (good) contract without playing, so I think he'd want to go elsewhere.

ohmwrecker
02-22-2013, 04:50 PM
No, but he might have a future with the team beyond this season.

Besides, I'm not exactly convinced that Blair does anything to make this team better. He is wholly reliant on others to create his offense for him, and then he just gives it back on the next possesion either with a boneheaded turnover or his matador defense.

It was a rhetorical question. There is no benefit, at this point in the season, in waiving Blair to sign a player who is potentially only marginally better, would only get minutes due to injuries and doesn't know the system. Might as well wait until next year and use the roster spot and the money on someone more viable.

Bruno
02-22-2013, 05:33 PM

It sounds like DeJuan won't asked a buyout. To me, unless a great player is bought out, it ends my interest in Spurs doing a roster move.

FlAVaK
02-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Not spurs-related (unless one sees him as a replacement for Bonner) but didn`t know were else to put it:

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/51490/tim-ohlbrecht-turned-down-a-10-day-contract-from-the-celtics.html

"Tim Ohlbrecht received a 10-day contract offer from the Boston Celtics but the German big man elected to turn it down, his agent Tyler Glass told Sportando. Ohlbrecht is averaging 13.3ppg and 7.3rpg in D-League with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers."

Does it happen a lot that a player rejects a 10-day-contract? Or is it pure bs by his agent...

jyra
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
There are some rumours on Twitter that he is going to sign with the Rockets for the rest of the season.

exstatic
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Not spurs-related (unless one sees him as a replacement for Bonner) but didn`t know were else to put it:

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/51490/tim-ohlbrecht-turned-down-a-10-day-contract-from-the-celtics.html

"Tim Ohlbrecht received a 10-day contract offer from the Boston Celtics but the German big man elected to turn it down, his agent Tyler Glass told Sportando. Ohlbrecht is averaging 13.3ppg and 7.3rpg in D-League with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers."

Does it happen a lot that a player rejects a 10-day-contract? Or is it pure bs by his agent...
This is what happens when you're a tax payer that uses your entire MLE. You get hardcapped, and other teams beat you out to players you might want.

ace3g
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Omri Casspi has started to appear in rumors for being bought out in Cleveland.

http://www.fearthesword.com/2013/2/23/4022022/nba-rumors-omri-casspi-may-be-bought-out

Darkwaters
02-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Jermaine O'Neal Not Interested In Chasing Championship
Feb 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
Jermaine O’Neal is not interested in chasing an NBA championship.

Several contending teams were reportedly interested in O’Neal, who could have sought a trade deadline buyout of his contract with the Phoenix Suns.

“I’m no longer looking to go and try to win a championship. When you don’t fit, it looks like you can’t play,” said O’Neal, who admits to savoring his surroundings a little more. “Basketball justifies a lot for people, but I don’t need that. I have a great family, and that’s my concentration.

“This year I’ve enjoyed going into every arena for some reason. I’ve enjoyed the bus rides, the dinners, the locker room stuff, all of that. Maybe it is the last one.”

O’Neal’s 13-year-old daughter is scheduled to have heart valve surgery on Mar. 5.

O’Neal will leave the Suns to be at his daughter’s side for three days starting on the day of the surgery.

“I don’t know if God is trying to tell me something, because I’ve had to fly back to my family quite a bit this year,” O’Neal said. “My girl just had a balloon put in her chest three days ago. When you’re 17 years into the league, you have to look at that.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226349/Jermaine-ONeal-Not-Interested-In-Chasing-Championship

TD 21
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Off the top: Petro, Diop, Casspi, Maggette, Honeycutt (if Casspi get's bought out and the Rockets sign him, so that they have room for a third PG), Pryzbilla, Douglas, Pietrus and Bell, are candidates, while Warrick and Price have already been bought out.

Chinook
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Jermaine O'Neal Not Interested In Chasing Championship
Feb 23, 2013 12:37 PM EST
Jermaine O’Neal is not interested in chasing an NBA championship.

Several contending teams were reportedly interested in O’Neal, who could have sought a trade deadline buyout of his contract with the Phoenix Suns.

“I’m no longer looking to go and try to win a championship. When you don’t fit, it looks like you can’t play,” said O’Neal, who admits to savoring his surroundings a little more. “Basketball justifies a lot for people, but I don’t need that. I have a great family, and that’s my concentration.

“This year I’ve enjoyed going into every arena for some reason. I’ve enjoyed the bus rides, the dinners, the locker room stuff, all of that. Maybe it is the last one.”

O’Neal’s 13-year-old daughter is scheduled to have heart valve surgery on Mar. 5.

O’Neal will leave the Suns to be at his daughter’s side for three days starting on the day of the surgery.

“I don’t know if God is trying to tell me something, because I’ve had to fly back to my family quite a bit this year,” O’Neal said. “My girl just had a balloon put in her chest three days ago. When you’re 17 years into the league, you have to look at that.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226349/Jermaine-ONeal-Not-Interested-In-Chasing-Championship

That's a man who has is priorities straight.

Sdayi135
02-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Off the top: Petro, Diop, Casspi, Maggette, Honeycutt (if Casspi get's bought out and the Rockets sign him, so that they have room for a third PG), Pryzbilla, Douglas, Pietrus and Bell, are candidates, while Warrick and Price have already been bought out.

If this is the list, then the Spurs may be better off keeping Blair because none of these will help much.

ace3g
02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo) Cavs forward Omri Casspi was diagnosed with acute appendicitis. His appendix was removed last night.

boutons_deux
02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
That's a man who has is priorities straight.

Priorities usually change when your old, hurt, and fat.

JP le Requin
02-24-2013, 02:07 PM
what about gilbert arenas as pg backup?

ShinerBlack
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
what about gilbert arenas as pg backup?

Arenas was never the same after bricking those two free throws against Lebron and the Cavs a few years ago. It was right after that he imploded. Don't think he'd fit here, especially with no time to learn the system.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
If this is the list, then the Spurs may be better off keeping Blair because none of these will help much.

casspi and honeycutt would both be more useful than blair.

JP le Requin
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
ok, arenas is done, i am agree
i just rode omri casspi wish a buyout...and spurs always keeping an eye on him...
today he is recovering "appendicitis" in hospital

Andthentherewas21
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo) Cavs forward Omri Casspi was diagnosed with acute appendicitis. His appendix was removed last night.

Anyone interested in Casspi better hope he didn't have his surgery at the same hospital as Varejao

DrunkTXLabrat
02-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Anyone interested in Casspi better hope he didn't have his surgery at the same hospital as Varejao

true

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2013, 07:56 PM
The Blair-hate is tiresome IMHO. He's not a difference-maker, but he's fine as a deep bench big who knows the system and plays hard when he gets on the court. No need to waive him to bring in another non-difference maker who doesn't know the system.

ajballer4
02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Thunder close to resigning Fisher

ajballer4
02-25-2013, 01:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8982543/sources-oklahoma-city-thunder-trying-bring-back-derek-fisher

EricB
02-25-2013, 01:55 AM
That doesn't bode well for the spurs...

wildbill2u
02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
We're not talking about a player who is so good and has such high BB IQ that he could fit into the system and play right away--because none of those players would be available. No sense in bringing someone in this late who wouldn't know the system and therefore Pop wouldn't use him.

If there was someone Pop wanted to bring in so he could be ready by next year, then the FO might try. ? We're not using Joseph at all & Baynes sparingly.

elemento
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
So far nobody worth a look tbh

I'd rather keep Dejuan

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:14 AM
We're not talking about a player who is so good and has such high BB IQ that he could fit into the system and play right away--because none of those players would be available. No sense in bringing someone in this late who wouldn't know the system and therefore Pop wouldn't use him.

If there was someone Pop wanted to bring in so he could be ready by next year, then the FO might try. ? We're not using Joseph at all & Baynes sparingly.

that's what makes casspi, honeycutt, greene, or a d leaguer 3/4 so appealing. jackson aint getting any younger. diaw isn't either, and diaw green are just place holders at 3. leonard has shown enough injury risk to warrant some real injury insurance.

big is set with duncan, splitter, diaw, bonner, baynes. guard is set with tony, manu, green, decolo, mills, neal, cojo.

blair is dead weight. he's not good injury insurance. big is filled, and the spurs need more depth at 3. another diaw, with a little better defense and rebounding, would hit the spot.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
that's what makes casspi, honeycutt, greene, or a d leaguer 3/4 so appealing. jackson aint getting any younger. diaw isn't either, and diaw green are just place holders at 3. leonard has shown enough injury risk to warrant some real injury insurance.

big is set with duncan, splitter, diaw, bonner, baynes. guard is set with tony, manu, green, decolo, mills, neal, cojo.

blair is dead weight. he's not good injury insurance. big is filled, and the spurs need more depth at 3. another diaw, with a little better defense and rebounding, would hit the spot.

And you think such a player is sitting around unemployed?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
yes. there is a gem in the d league waiting for nba minutes. there also woulda been one in the trade market.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
if you're gonna put somebody in when injury hits. it should be somebody with potential to surprise. we know what blair is, and it aint what we need.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
A Diaw with better rebounding and defense?

No.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
the potential for

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Moving goalposts.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Moving goalposts.

i'm not sure what this means. if i need a goalpost moved i'd call on baynes over blair. if you're talking about me moving my goalpost to suit your argument. well yeah, because my bad i wasn't clear enough in the first place. If there was someone Pop wanted to bring in so he could be ready by next year, then the FO might try.

potential diaw, with better defense and rebounding. i don't see why casspi couldn't be that. good all around game. half a season of experience. a full playoff experience. then training camp and preseason.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
i'm not sure what this means. if i need a goalpost moved i'd call on baynes over blair. if you're talking about me moving my goalpost to suit your argument. well yeah, because my bad i wasn't clear enough in the first place. If there was someone Pop wanted to bring in so he could be ready by next year, then the FO might try.

potential diaw, with better defense and rebounding. i don't see why casspi couldn't be that. good all around game. half a season of experience. a full playoff experience. then training camp and preseason.

Well, since such a player doesn't exist, this entire discussion is moot.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
surely there is an unsigned d leaguer that matches the discription

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Surely not. If such a player existed, then one of the 30 NBA teams would have at least signed him to a 10-day contract.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Surely not. If such a player existed, then one of the 30 NBA teams would have at least signed him to a 10-day contract.

just because no other team found somebody doesn't mean somebody doesn't exist. i think you put too much faith in the quality of nba gms. look at the spurs, blair stinks and they won't cut him. there is an error factor in talent assessment of nba gms.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
just because no other team found somebody doesn't mean somebody doesn't exist. i think you put too much faith in the quality of nba gms. look at the spurs, blair stinks and they won't cut him. there is an error factor in talent assessment of nba gms.

Well, now you're just chasing your own tail. If such a player exists, but can't be recognized by even one of the 30 GMs in the NBA, then he may as well not exist.

You've now reached the point of advocating that the Spurs waive a player even though you claim that they don't possess enough FO skill to sign a proper replacement.

admiralsnackbar
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Moving goalpost in 5, 4, 3, 2...

elemento
02-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Not from a buyout but I absolutely like Travis Leslie as a cheap prospect.

2nd round pick from 2011, he never had a proper chance in LAC. He had good numbers in college (especially adv stats) and he is doing well in the D-League. He is basically Neal's opposite. Very good defender (Best Case:Tony Allen) and very good rebounder for a G. Not a great shooter though.

This season SA is stacked at the G position, but next season he is worth a try if we don't bring Neal back and Mills opts out. Chump probably knows him well from the D-League. He has been playing for the Santa Cruz Warriors since he was released by the Clips.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Well, now you're just chasing your own tail. If such a player exists, but can't be recognized by even one of the 30 GMs in the NBA, then he may as well not exist.

You've now reached the point of advocating that the Spurs waive a player even though you claim that they don't possess enough FO skill to sign a proper replacement.

the quality assessment problem isn't with incoming talent, it's with outgoing. i have no doubt in the spurs FO's ability to find talent. they even address the obvious needs. i just doubt them when it comes time for goodbye. perfect example: what are the odds they re-sign blair? one better, what are the odds they overpay?

the spurs love to wallow in their own filth. for all the spurs FO skill, they have a problem with overconfidence and indecisiveness. i suspect it's the downside to striking oil sooo often. they take too long to recognize and resolve roster issues. it can be a failed experiment like rj or an overachieving one like george hill. yeah those situations turned out great. rj wasn't that bad, and resulted in jack back. and kawhi. but what about the humongous headache spent figuring out the obvious?

how many timmy championship seasons have been spent dealing with some stupid easily solved roster headache? that's why all spurs fans love a good trade machine. we all know the deal. blair is this years head ache. it's a small one and i don't think it'll hinder the playoff run. but even a small headache isn't helpful.

this thread is about waiver pick ups. we know darn well blair ain't goin nowhere. don't perpetuate spurs FO blair injury insurance bs. the spurs couldn't pull another diaw outter thin air? one that's better at defense and boards? the hell they can't. shoot down casspi or greene, yeah they might be fails. but don't tell me the roster is better off with blair.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
I'll let that last post stand. Classic drunk post.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Raja Bell and Jazz have a buyout settlement in place, but it rests on Bell's ability to find a contract elsewhere. So far, still no takers. Bell's agent, Herb Rudoy, continues to talk to several teams. Bottom line, as it's been for months, is no team has stepped up to commit
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania

slick'81
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
bell is done fck him

swaggerjackson
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Also don't Bell and Manu have some personal issues? I remember really wanting the Spurs to go after Bell years ago, but it was leaked the Manu's agent said he couldn't stand Bell. This could be complete bullshit (it is coming from me) but I remember something like that.

Strategic
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Who could fit the Spurs needs? Who would be a professional? Who would be better than Blair for the next 30 some games? Who is mature? Who has played along side TD, TS, MG, TP and other Spurs? Who is 6'9" and would bring his best every time? Who, Who, Who, Who, Who? The Spurs already have a front court youth movement in Splitter, Leonard, Baynes and D League. Do you really think Blair will be here after this season? Screw it, I'd be calling Antonio and asking if he's serious about another run. Just saying, all these responses that nobody else is out there........ Right now for this year for 10 minutes a game, I would rather have McDyess.

mute
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
bring up cojo

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
i'd rather the spurs find a young project guy. but mcdyess isn't a bad idea. he's probably a safer playoff player than baynes or bonner. he wouldn't add any depth to the spurs at 3. but with mcdyess around, diaw could play 3.

i don't like bell. i think he's too old and doesn't do anything for to help on rebounds. but a wing defender is a good idea.

MR-Clutch
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
DTxL is quickly becoming one of the more annoying posters around here. He reminds me of the guy that used to pretend to be a scout in the think tank, his name is eluding me right now.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
DTxL is quickly becoming one of the more annoying posters around here. He reminds me of the guy that used to pretend to be a scout in the think tank, his name is eluding me right now.

texas 2 step

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
i'm no scout i'm just a spurs fan. i came in here to trade ideas with ya'll. i apologize if i'm coming off annoying.

i've been checking out this forum as a non-poster for a while.

it seems like this forum needed a voice like mine. maybe it's just the trollers. but talk of blair is good injury insurance and tempered expectations from baynes and spurs need a backup point. i think the general poster in here is nuts.

Baseline
02-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Why is there an assumption that McDyess can still play? Or would even want to play?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
chris wright, maine red claws.

exstatic
02-25-2013, 09:29 PM

No. NBA GMs are not blind. If a player of such potential existed, he'd be on somebody's 15 man roster.

ace3g
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) After forward D.J. White's letter of clearance finally arrived from China, he'll sign with Celtics in next 24 hours, sources tell Y! Sports.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
No. NBA GMs are not blind. If a player of such potential existed, he'd be on somebody's 15 man roster.

"the quality assessment problem isn't with incoming talent, it's with outgoing."

ace3g
02-28-2013, 01:51 PM
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) Cavs and Omri Casspi indeed engaged in buyout talks, I'm told, with deal to part ways possible before March 1 deadline (which is Friday)

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)
Any player waived by March 1 becomes eligible to play in playoffs for another team as long as he signs w/new team by end of regular season

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) Rockets are a legit & confirmed suitor for Omri Casspi, who is recovering from emergency surgery last weekend to take out his appendix

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)

Playoff eligibility deadline officially 11:59 PM Friday night. So long as waivers requested by 11:59 ET, player is eligible for playoffs

swaggerjackson
02-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Would the Spurs be interested in Casspi? I know that they were previously interested but that was before Kawhi. Do you guys think he is worth enough to let go of someone? I don't but we are not deep at small forward. And Sjax health has been a concern as of late. Whatchu think?

ace3g
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
There haven't been many names mentioned in rumors for buyouts, so far only Casspi and Raja Bell from my knowledge; could be a slow front for this deadline as well.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM

ace3g
02-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) Just going online now: ESPN sources say Bulls in talks to sign Louis Amundson. Decision on veteran power forward expected Friday

DrunkTXLabrat
02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
oh man drunktexaslabrat is a bit sick and loopy, i didn't even finish that post. i was gonna squash it, cause it's a bit stretchy and risky. then i hit reply in delirium.

wanna read something i think is funny?...

i was planning to tie it together. saying blair gifted rotation minutes are causing chemistry issues and mental mistakes. casspi available for pine ride, forcing better chem bonner/baynes minutes. and a closing Israeli player taking a small $ deal irony joke.

ace3g
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) Celtics will sign Terrence Williams for rest of season and conditionally for 2013-'14, league source tells Y! Sports.

from earlier:

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)
Celtics sign forward Shavlik Randolph to a 10-day contract.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo) Louis Amundson turned down offer to sign for the rest of the season with an NBA team since he already committed to signing 10-day with Bulls

ace3g
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA (https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA) The Kings are working on a buyout with Aaron Brooks, according to @mr_jasonjones (https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones). Rockets could be interested, they pursued him this summer.

raybies
03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
aaron brooks for back up point?

Just a couple seasons ago he was a starting point right?

dunno best option so far... tbh

elemento
03-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Funny but I would welcome Aaron Brooks to be San Antonio's backup PG.

Robz4000
03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Too bad CoJo is just now getting his chance at backup PG (hopefully anyway). By the time the Spurs figure out if he's an option or not, Brooks will be with another team. Fwiw, I doubt he'd come to the Spurs anyway.

Darius Bieber
03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Spurs don't have an open roster spot, so I don't see them signing any buy-out products..

ace3g
03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Not getting my hopes up because our roster is full, but Spurs could give Blair one more "showcase" game tonight and then see if he wants to be bought out by the deadline tonight.

raybies
03-01-2013, 05:05 PM
For the right piece it might be patty that gets bought out... waived? Either way spurs do their "due diligence".

Would think they would want a commitment first before they did anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs people are talking with his people as we speak.

Pg is obviously our weakest link since we got the Baynes insurance. Don't think Blair is going anywhere or they would have dealt him before the deadline, but Brooks is very interesting option especially considering our players at that position.

spurraider21
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Aaron Brooks officially bought out. Not sure how I would feel about having him here, but its news worth reporting here

spurraider21
03-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Not getting my hopes up because our roster is full, but Spurs could give Blair one more "showcase" game tonight and then see if he wants to be bought out by the deadline tonight.

highly doubt Holt would buy him out

ace3g
03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) After a buyout with the Sacramento Kings, guard Aaron Brooks and the Houston Rockets are discussing a deal, league sources tell Y! Sports.

elemento
03-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Houston will have to cut someone to add Brooks. Maybe James Anderson or Tyler Honeycutt

TD 21
03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I'd be surprised if it's not Honeycutt. Anderson is probably only in trouble if they also sign Casspi (presuming he get's bought out, of course).