07-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Starters
4 Duncan
5 Nesterovic or Mohammed

Bench
4 Horry (primary backup big)
5 Nesterovic or Mohammed
4 Scola

There are two questions I see headed into the 2005-06 season, assuming that the above listed personnel comprise the five bigmen spots on the active roster:

1. Who starts at center?
2. Who is the secondary backup bigman off the bench?

I do not believe that it's cut and dried that Mohammed will be starting at the 5 next season. Mohammed does bring more physicality and rebounding up front, but he's gotta work on his handles, limiting his pump fakes, and on his defensive rotations. Some of those problem areas should improve with time.

The second question is much more vexing. Do the Spurs go with Scola as the second big off the bench or do they go with a bigger man?

E20
07-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Horry isn't going to play that many minutes in the season. They will play him but, not with heavy minutes.

constantstate
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
The second question is much more vexing. Do the Spurs go with Scola as the second big off the bench or do they go with a bigger man?

if you pay to buyout his contract, and he's 25, you play him, dont you? plus someone is going to have to give horry and duncan rest throughout the season... my thinking is that he'd take alot of horry's time in the regular season... or at least get that chance before anyone else.

if all things stay the same:

reg season depth
nazr/duncan/rasho
duncan/scola/horry

playoffs
nazr/duncan
duncan/horry/scola

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I would bet on Rasho starting next year, but that's just me. Between those 5 players, who i believe will all be here, it will be a difficult task of distributing minutes.

Center:
Rasho 23
Nazr 17
Duncan 8

Power Forward
Duncan 24
Scola 14
Horry 10

Come playoff time, even more difficult since it will eventually come down (close) to a three man rotation. Duncan 40, Horry 24, Rasho 20, Scola 8, Nazr 4?

boutons
07-04-2005, 03:43 PM
"he's 25, you play him, dont you? "

... only if he knows how to play The San Antonio Spurs Basketball, which will, typically, take him a year to figure out.

Gino2882
07-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Horry doesnt play big minutes in the regular season.

Nazr - Rasho - Scola (emergency)

Duncan - Scola - Horry

timvp
07-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Starters
4 Duncan
5 Nesterovic or Mohammed

Bench
4 Horry (primary backup big)
5 Nesterovic or Mohammed
4 Scola

There are two questions I see headed into the 2005-06 season, assuming that the above listed personnel comprise the five bigmen spots on the active roster:

1. Who starts at center?
2. Who is the secondary backup bigman off the bench?

I do not believe that it's cut and dried that Mohammed will be starting at the 5 next season. Mohammed does bring more physicality and rebounding up front, but he's gotta work on his handles, limiting his pump fakes, and on his defensive rotations. Some of those problem areas should improve with time.

Tough. But good problems to have.

REGULAR SEASON
Centers
Mohammed 25
Nesterovic 8
Duncan 15

Power Forwards
Duncan 18
Horry 15
Scola 15

Playoffs
Centers
Mohammed 25
Nesterovic 0
Duncan 20

Power Forwards
Duncan 18
Horry 25
Scola 8

JUUOT
07-04-2005, 06:12 PM
TIMVP i think you forgot to give minut to rasho meaning you trade him in the offseason of 2006

lol

NZHayden
07-04-2005, 07:36 PM
do you think the spurs are willing to resign marks? or do u think he'll head to europe for more minutes

DieMrBond
07-04-2005, 07:49 PM
do you think the spurs are willing to resign marks? or do u think he'll head to europe for more minutes

I thought he was heading to europe for more minutes and money... he'd stand to make a lot more money in europe at the moment than the league minimum, surely?

Heres another point tho - what if (big what if i know but) scola fits so well into the starting lineup with timmy at center, that that is what pop goes with? which leaves nazr rasho and horry on the bench... wouldnt that throw a spanner in the works!

TheTruth
07-04-2005, 09:37 PM
what a GREAT problem to have.

superfedja
07-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Hehe I love the way you think Shawn Michaels ... trade rasho to free up cash so we can re-sign Nazir and get scola so we can start him as PF and move Duncan to C

JUUOT
07-04-2005, 10:27 PM
scola looks like the perfect prototype of the energy guy coming of the bench.
we were clearly missing this piece this year forcing pop to move ginobili back on the bench against seattle.
Scola will come in this summer just to provide this role. a scoring threat from the bench.
horry rose up to the chalenge for the rest of the playoff but next year should be his last. This is why you keep rasho and nazr. because you need them when horry is leaving and mahinmi is not here before 2 years if he comes.

so you resign horry with honors due to this year playoff. you keep him in shape for him to get his 7th ring and retire as a spur or end his career in houston.

you bring scola to learn the job with horry and duncan (it takes a year to be an effective spurs) to be 100% ready to do the job next year

you keep both nazr and rasho at least until trade dead line during season if scola prove to be great otherwise just keep them both.

it will be hard with sharing minutes for the season but after horry leaves and scola gets PT