PDA

View Full Version : Another year...spurs do nothing!

McGusto55
02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
How do you feel about it?

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
the fuck? Jackson/Diaw/Mills last season.

Blair has little value. You can't trade someone who no one really wants.

EJFischer
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
When you are leading your conference by 3.5 games and on track to finish with a win count in the mid to high 60s, there's no need to take risks at the deadline. If there isn't a clear value trade available, you stand pat. I don't know why anyone is surprised by this.

timvp
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm fine with the Spurs standing pat. I didn't see anything out there that was realistic and worth the hassle.

moisaenz
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Spurs are known to do more when players get waived than at the trade deadline.

lefty
02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
oh noes

its the end of the world

LongtimeSpursFan
02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Thankful. I really think this team has all the right parts to make another long run into the playoffs. I dont like dealing on "what if" or "potential' type scenarios this late into the season. Sure we can use a solid backup pg or another quality big but I just dont see anyone that can perform as well as Blair in the role of 4th or 5th big on the roster. As much as posters here like to complain of Blair he is actually a decent player for the role that he is in now.

Brunodf
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Blair/Bonner/Neal are annoying

Budkin
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Glad. There was nothing out there. Al Jefferson? Josh Smith? Please.

cd021
02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
a little pissed. I kind of like something new.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I didn't want the Spurs to move out any big pieces; couldn't expect them to make an impact trade with junk.

cd021
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm fine with the Spurs standing pat. I didn't see anything out there that was realistic and worth the hassle.

Yeah. but we really don't have another way of improving the team if things fall apart and we need to retool in the offseason. Jackson, Manu, Splitters big raise + 1st round cap hold. There's not a ton left over. Diaw and Mills are almost certain to be back unless traded.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
It was a good trade deadline for the Spurs, considering all the rumors that opponents could be strenghtening ( Gortat to OKC, KG to LAC, etc ) turned out to be futile.

MSPaint
02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Last year was to year to stir things up, this year only assets (if you can call them that) we had were the forever Spurs Blair/Bonner.

Buddy Holly
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM

You sound like a high school girl.

MSPaint
02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
It was a good trade deadline for the Spurs, considering all the rumors that opponents could be strenghtening ( Gortat to OKC, KG to LAC, etc ) turned out to be futile.

OKC DID get Ronnie Brewer, but still, good to know the Spurs competition didn't make any moves to push them ahead. No news is good news?

Beaverfuzz
02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
No one offered the Spurs a new backboard and a fresh coat of lacquer for the ATT Center flor for Blair.

timvp
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Great point. No contender did anything of note. Viewing it that way, the deadline was a success for the Spurs.

Spur|n|Austin
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
meh.

timtonymanu
02-21-2013, 05:07 PM
You must have not been around last season.

I'm glad the trade deadline is over. I don't have to see retarded trade machine threads from most posters.

pad300
02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm not particularly happy with it, doing nothing pretty much commits us to this team for the remaining Duncan years (This year, next year... maybe the year after). Jackson's expiring was the last major trade piece that wouldn't impact us on the floor, and I was hoping it could be combined with future picks & prospects to add another strong piece (eg. AK47)...Seriously which core contends better for the next 3 years:

Duncan, Parker, Manu, Green, Kawhi, Splitter, SJax, 2013 30th pick, 2015 pick
or
Duncan, Parker, Manu, Green, Kawhi, Splitter, AK47

It is my opinion that the franchise owed TD the best shot they could get him, even if it cost us in the future.

phxspurfan
02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
No problems with doing nothing this year. I'm glad we still have Blair as insurance in case our beloved Bonner goes down.

TrainOfThought5
02-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I didn't want the Spurs to move out any big pieces; couldn't expect them to make an impact trade with junk.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm not particularly happy with it, doing nothing pretty much commits us to this team for the remaining Duncan years (This year, next year... maybe the year after). Jackson's expiring was the last major trade piece that wouldn't impact us on the floor, and I was hoping it could be combined with future picks & prospects to add another strong piece (eg. AK47)...Seriously which core contends better for the next 3 years:

or

It is my opinion that the franchise owed TD the best shot they could get him, even if it cost us in the future.It would be very difficult if not practically impossible to pay the latter core for the next three years.

HI-FI
02-21-2013, 05:19 PM

or

It is my opinion that the franchise owed TD the best shot they could get him, even if it cost us in the future.

if you are talking about trading Jax, yes I think we could've done something with it. but IIRC, Pop told Jax before coming here he wouldn't trade him until his contract was done. Also didn't Jax have a family crisis recently? I imagine it would have been a shitty move to lie to him at this point. Basically Spurs were being :cryclassy:cry, and I respect that. Maybe it will cost us, but I think it's good if we honor our word.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
You sound like a high school girl.

he's right though.

watching the spurs piss away the deadline with those 3 on the roster is like... watching a guy throw away a tube a toothpaste that clearly coulda been rolled up.

hooperflash
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Told you they weren't on ps3 McGusto...

cd98
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I thought everyone hearing was satisfied when we added Baynes.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
he's right though.

watching the spurs piss away the deadline with those 3 on the roster is like... watching a guy throw away a tube a toothpaste that clearly coulda been rolled up.I don't' consider wasted toothpaste to be a big deal tbh.

Spur|n|Austin
he's right though.

watching the spurs piss away the deadline with those 3 on the roster is like... watching a guy throw away a tube a toothpaste that clearly coulda been rolled up.

Wow, your sure do live up to your user name.

ChumpDumper
I thought everyone hearing was satisfied when we added Baynes.They may have thought he was going to be a rotation player this season.

BatManu20
02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I wanted to see Bonner moved more than Blair tbh. Just disappointed we didn't add another athletic big. Could come back to bite us in the ass in the playoffs.

timtonymanu
Wow, your sure do live up to your user name.

He also thinks Danny Green = prime Ray Allen.

spurs10
Exactly what I expected. Spurs are the top team in the NBA...
:flag:

DAF86
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM
FO could have made use of the 10 mil expiring contract of the guy shooting 37% from the field, imvho, tbh, fwiw.

02-21-2013, 05:30 PM
no one else made a major trade either. the blockbuster trade of this year's deadline was jj reddick :lol

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
i am glad for baynes, but he needs to play. i think bonner and neal are okay, with very limited minutes. i think any minute for blair is wasted. spurs had to cash him in for anything they could get. if it cost a couple more near useless shooters, it shoulda been done. the benefit of forcing pop to play a better rotation woulda been the biggest trade asset.

make the most of your toothpaste tube. why be wasteful? extra effort sucks, stitch in time.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 05:35 PM

prime danny green = any version of ray allen

corrected

bigfan
02-21-2013, 05:36 PM
We have the best record in the league; I think we are ok.

SenorSpur
02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I figured that the Spurs would stand pat if they couldn't find the right deal for Blair. I was hoping that the Spurs could've pried Omri Casspi away from the Cavs, but again I conclude that the right deal wasn't there. I'm ok with the Spurs standing down.

Pasta Batman
02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
FO could have made use of the 10 mil expiring contract of the guy shooting 37% from the field, imvho, tbh, fwiw.

Big contract and many teams are trying to avoid the luxury tax. There's a reason why there weren't many trades this season.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
We have the best record in the league; I think we are ok.

Don't you know how it works here?

All regular season victories are fool's gold. Yet, somehow, all regular season defeats expose fatal flaws.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
i am glad for baynes, but he needs to play. i think bonner and neal are okay, with very limited minutes. i think any minute for blair is wasted. spurs had to cash him in for anything they could get. if it cost a couple more near useless shooters, it shoulda been done. the benefit of forcing pop to play a better rotation woulda been the biggest trade asset.He's not in the rotation now.

make the most of your toothpaste tube. why be wasteful? extra effort sucks, stitch in time.Adding more metaphors does not raise the value of the toothpaste.

Spur|n|Austin
02-21-2013, 05:46 PM

Trust me, I remember..

DAF86
02-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Big contract and many teams are trying to avoid the luxury tax. There's a reason why there weren't many trades this season.

Probably, I still haven't read the new cap rules.

callo1
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm fine that they didn't do much, but I would like to have seen them shore up the backup pg position, and get Jermaine O'Neal on the cheap.

LarryDavid
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
No sense in making a trade just to make one.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
If this is the price for Jack for RJ, I'm happy with it.

McGusto55
02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Knicks gonna sign with knicks..per..espn

McGusto55
02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
My bad...k-mart...signing with knicks

manufan10
02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
It's not like the Spurs didn't try to make a move. They just don't have pieces to move that would bring in someone who is significant. Other teams had better pieces.

McGusto55
02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Told you they weren't on ps3 McGusto...

Yea I remember...

KaiRMD1
02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
You can't fix what's not broke, there wasn't anything out there and the Spurs are doing pretty good. We'll see what happens later on but I'm not surprised. We could use Blair in the Thunder series, he's always known to give them fits.......if only pop can see that.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
He's not in the rotation now.

Adding more metaphors does not raise the value of the toothpaste.

blair isn't worth a non-rotation roster spot. believing in blair is one kinda stupid. believing the spurs can afford to waste a roster spot on a valueless trade player like blair is another.

the next time you run out of toothpaste, i hope you stub your toe. think of me when you realize you never woulda walked away, if you'd just squeezed out that ample amount still left in the tube.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
blair isn't worth a non-rotation roster spot. believing in blair is one kinda stupid. believing the spurs can afford to waste a roster spot on a valueless trade player like blair is another.

the next time you run out of toothpaste, i hope you stub your toe. think of me when you realize you never woulda walked away, if you'd just squeezed out that ample amount still left in the tube.I'll just buy some toothpaste. It's plentiful and readily available at all times.

EricB
02-21-2013, 06:41 PM

God this fan base is ridiculously spoiled.

timvp
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Being upset the Spurs didn't trade for a player who was never said to be available via trade is an odd reaction to the trade deadline, IMO.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 06:57 PM

the next time you run out of toothpaste, i hope you stub your toe. think of me when you realize you never woulda walked away, if you'd just squeezed out that ample amount still left in the tube.

If Blair has no value, I'm curious what you think was out there for the Spurs to trade for.

Robz4000
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm fine with there being no moves; there wasn't anyone to be had that would've made a difference or available without giving up important pieces (Splitter, Leonard). As was brought up earlier, none of the contenders made major moves, which is great news for the Spurs.

mienhmario
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I am dissapointed. It's funny how majority of the fans are okay with this. Yet, we still came up short for the past 5 years. If Duncan doesn't get his 6 ring, yet alone his 5 rings, I am deeply saden for Duncan.

All we needed was a mediocre lengthy player. I wonder how Kupchak or Cuban would have handled this if they were in this situation. I'm sure they would have done something before the deadline. ;(

DMC
02-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Every single team in the league has a few scrubs. Spurs fan expects the Spurs to have solid role players, all of them, even the D-league call ups. Then they moan about not having James White, Ian and James Anderson.

Spurs role players beat the Bulls starters, on the road. No reasonable trade would get you above that and it's too late in the season to give Tiago anything to worry about as far as his minutes.

The Spurs won't be contenders for a title (legit contenders) again before Tim retires. He's the face of the franchise, and until the big 3 are no more, they will not get any closer to the ring. Even then it will be quite some time before a decent pick comes their way.

dbreiden83080
02-21-2013, 07:12 PM

I feel they are 43-12...

Mark in Austin
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
I would have preferred that they move Bonner just so Pop isn't tempted by fool's gold again, but overall I like the chemistry & makeup of this team. Tim & Tiago together are making a huge difference this year. If the Spurs manage to enter the playoffs healthy I like their chances.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
If Blair has no value, I'm curious what you think was out there for the Spurs to trade for.

i didn't think he had no trade value until the league proved it today. i thought at least the spurs would add bonner and pull casspi or a cavs 2nd. melo or hickson wouldn't have been my favorites, but woulda made sense. victor claver. draft rights. a miami 2nd and scrub like lewis or jones. maybe something from the wizards like singleton or a 2nd? bonner with something from toronto? nazr or radmonovic and 1st swap. or a similar kinda 1st swap deal with some other deep playoff team?

basically any draft pick, a young balanced game tweener forward, somebody the spurs could buy out so they could open up the roster spot, bonner salary dump, neal rotation problem dump, or any combination of them all. anything but undersized bad knees "oh but he knows the system" blair!

BlackSilver
02-21-2013, 07:21 PM

or

My God. You are talking about mortgaging the future on some trade/any trade in the remote chance it might add 5% to our odds of winning a championship now. We have had a great shot of winning it all every single year AND the front office has quietly begun retooling for the future, all without going dipshit crazy over the salary cap, and you're complaining. To top it all, you're assuming SJax + 2013 30th pick + 2015 pick = AK47 or similar valuable player without having to give up any young budding star like Kawhi or Tiago. Wow. Time to throw away that Easy Button.

BlackSilver
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I am dissapointed. It's funny how majority of the fans are okay with this. Yet, we still came up short for the past 5 years. If Duncan doesn't get his 6 ring, yet alone his 5 rings, I am deeply saden for Duncan.

All we needed was a mediocre lengthy player. I wonder how Kupchak or Cuban would have handled this if they were in this situation. I'm sure they would have done something before the deadline. ;(

We already have that. Its name is Bonner. :rolleyes

Dex
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
The Spurs didn't need to do anything. When the Spurs had HWSNBN, that was a different story.

This same team won 20 straight last season and made it 2 wins deep into the WCF. This season they've won 11 in a row (now up to 15 out of 16), and are running away with the best record in the league at 43-12.

I don't care what happened with the backdoor sweep. You don't just go fucking with that kind of thing.

All of the improvements that the Spurs need were internal, and they've made them. Splitter is in the starting lineup and developing. Kawhi is developing. Bonner is getting limited minutes as the 5th big. Blair is riding the pine.

If I had to nitpick one thing, it's that Neal is still running the backup PG spot, but honestly, once we get Manu back up to speed, that may not be such a big deal.

Either way, I'm comfortable rolling the dice again with this team as is.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 07:36 PM
i didn't think he had no trade value until the league proved it today. i thought at least the spurs would add bonner and pull casspi or a cavs 2nd. melo or hickson wouldn't have been my favorites, but woulda made sense. victor claver. draft rights. a miami 2nd and scrub like lewis or jones. maybe something from the wizards like singleton or a 2nd? bonner with something from toronto? nazr or radmonovic and 1st swap. or a similar kinda 1st swap deal with some other deep playoff team?

basically any draft pick, a young balanced game tweener forward, somebody the spurs could buy out so they could open up the roster spot, bonner salary dump, neal rotation problem dump, or any combination of them all. anything but undersized bad knees "oh but he knows the system" blair!

Um...

Again, why are you angry at the team for not being able to move a player when you think he has no value whatsoever? Every one of the trade scenarios you mention requires another team to give something up. If they aren't giving it up, how does it happen?

Cane
02-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Didn't expect the JJ Redick stuff...still not sure what to think of that

Would've been nice to get a steal or more talent somehow but there's always buyout bargains

Obstructed_View
02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm fine with there being no moves; there wasn't anyone to be had that would've made a difference or available without giving up important pieces (Splitter, Leonard). As was brought up earlier, none of the contenders made major moves, which is great news for the Spurs.

Prett much this. If the Spurs could have found a way to rent Paul Pierce without giving up Splitter or Leonard I'd have been for it, but that was an extreme long shot. Aside from that, I'm pleased that the Spurs didn't have to give up Jack and that nobody else in the west got any stronger.

benefactor
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
At the passing of the deadline, Paranoid Pop was sitting in his car on his phone watching Danny Green not get traded. Soon after he started it up and waited for the carbon monoxide from the tailpipe hose to take him from this world.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Um...

Again, why are you angry at the team for not being able to move a player when you think he has no value whatsoever? Every one of the trade scenarios you mention requires another team to give something up. If they aren't giving it up, how does it happen?

SALEMANSHIP! maybe buford has none. is it so hard to sell blair to the cavs for a guy they wanna get rid of anyway. all my theories have a salemanship quality to them. most those teams had rumored blair interest. some those teams are just close to pittsburgh.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 07:46 PM
bufords an nba gm. and he can't seem to sell a cup of lemonade to the dad gum thirsty.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
SALEMANSHIP! maybe buford has none. is it so hard to sell blair to the cavs for a guy they wanna get rid of anyway. all my theories have a salemanship quality to them.All your theories have a stupidity quality to them as well.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
you might as well ignore me chump cause we darn sure gonna have to agree to disagree.

exstatic
02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
The people that harp on Blair/Bonner/Neal are annoying

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
squeeze your toothpaste idiot.

Leetonidas
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm gonna laugh when Neal shits all over some team in the playoffs and sends them home at the buzzer on a three pointer. I can understand the Bonner/Blair hate, but Neal? Dude's not that great but he's got balls and isn't afraid to take and make big shots.

Whisky Dog
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Everyone knows by now the Lakers are the only team allowed to fleece other weaker franchises in lopsided trades. The fact they didn't pull off some Dwight Howard for Lebron fleece job is a win for me at the trade deadline.

sananspursfan21
02-21-2013, 07:59 PM

this, for sure. your biggest opponents not trading is the new blockbuster trade :)

sananspursfan21
02-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm gonna laugh when Neal shits all over some team in the playoffs and sends them home at the buzzer on a three pointer. I can understand the Bonner/Blair hate, but Neal? Dude's not that great but he's got balls and isn't afraid to take and make big shots.

i've said it before, i try to hate the shots he takes because they look ridiculous, like he's just chucking. i stand up to yell at the screen, then the ball falls gently into the cylinder. i calmly sit down and give a little fist pump. no matter how much i try to dislike him, i love the guy.

wildbill2u
02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
We really had nothing to trade with that anyone wanted and we're leading the league. I don't see much of a terrific need to go tradin'

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
you might as well ignore me chump cause we darn sure gonna have to agree to disagree.Never.

elemento
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
I am fine with it tbh.

I was expecting maybe Blair for the rights of a Euro (we knew that SA would not get a 1st for him quite honestly), but I can't complain. It's better to stand pat than make a desperate dumb move.

exstatic
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM

Cuban completely dismantled his one and only championship team to avid the tax. He blew it up. That's what he did.

Solid D
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I was concerned the Spurs would move Blair for a 2nd rounder and leave themselves in a tough spot if Tiago or Timmy get dinged-up and have to sit a couple of games in the playoffs. DeJuan will likely still have plenty of value when rest is needed...or when a big gets 2 quick fouls.

PÒÓCH
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
The teams that made the most trades are the teams that have no chance of winning a championship..coincidence?

Poolboy5623
02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I thought we'd at least get a washing machine, in exchange for dejuan...but nothing?! No shock to me...his trade value(at best) is a late second rounder.

PÒÓCH
02-21-2013, 09:16 PM

You make it sound so simple, You give no credit to what the Spurs organization has been able do that other teams only wish...including your beloved Mark Cuban. These guys are the gold standard in the league (Pop and R.C.) when it comes to evaluating talent and staying within the salary cap. The season is not over yet and you're already giving up on them. Give them some credit and let them do what they do. Realize that at some point we have to win with what we have and players have to play. No need to hit the panic button, and BTW last I looked Cuban and Kupchak's team will not even make the playoffs.

SayTown
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I never understood trading for guys in the middle of season anyways, instead of making a trade at the start of the season and then the players can get used to the system and playing with each other

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
SALEMANSHIP! maybe buford has none. is it so hard to sell blair to the cavs for a guy they wanna get rid of anyway. all my theories have a salemanship quality to them. most those teams had rumored blair interest. some those teams are just close to pittsburgh.

You said Blair has no value. You're a mouth-breather who can neither spell nor punctuate. Explain again how Buford is supposed to convince an actual adult who probably went to college and has people who scout basketball for him to take on an asset that someone as moronic as you can see has no value.

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM

We have the best record in the league and made it to the WCF last season with this same squad. This year we have more cohesion than last, Duncan looks 5 years younger, and the Thunder are worse.

Why did we need to make a trade again?

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I never understood trading for guys in the middle of season anyways, instead of making a trade at the start of the season and then the players can get used to the system and playing with each other

I agree. Mid-season trades are always a gamble...especially with a team like the Spurs that is so good largely because of their system and not the merits of individuals.

superbigtime
02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I would have liked to have seen the Spurs move Bonner more than any other player. Blair may be useful in the playoffs (only in limited minutes), he has been bringing energy recently. Nothing to rely on, but he's there. Bonner on the other hand, just flat out sucks and is a reliable choker. He is completely worthless, which is unfortunate since I actually do 'like' the guy. But he sucks, period. He can't rebound, he can't D up and out-physical anyone, and he is unable to shoot in the clutch. He has failed to prove his worth in the playoffs over and over and over. It just SUCKS he is on the roster after all these years.

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
I would have liked to have seen the Spurs move Bonner more than any other player. Blair may be useful in the playoffs (only in limited minutes), he has been bringing energy recently. Nothing to rely on, but he's there. Bonner on the other hand, just flat out sucks and is a reliable choker. He is completely worthless, which is unfortunate since I actually do 'like' the guy. But he sucks, period. He can't rebound, he can't D up and out-physical anyone, and he is unable to shoot in the clutch. He has failed to prove his worth in the playoffs over and over and over. It just SUCKS he is on the roster after all these years.

I have to disagree. Bonner is definitely a choker, but he does play some decent defense at times. Blair doesn't have a defensive bone in his body and the energy he brings is often rife with mistakes, turnovers and, well, bad defense.

The year to trade Bonner is next season when hes an expiring. He just doesn't have enough value on his own merits as a player. But as an ace shooter that will expire at the end of the season, Bonner could make sense for a lot of teams. Besides, Bonner's nearly $4M salary next season will net you a lot more interesting players than Blair's tiny $1M.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
You said Blair has no value. You're a mouth-breather who can neither spell nor punctuate. Explain again how Buford is supposed to convince an actual adult who probably went to college and has people who scout basketball for him to take on an asset that someone as moronic as you can see has no value.

quit being a friggin' english professor! maybe you'll understand the post. i'm not saying anything complicated or difficult to understand.

yeah blair is worthless, but buford shoulda been able sell him anyway. blair is spurs dump. yeah he stinks, but spurs dump is of much higher quality than any other teams dump. and he's an expiring contract. surely some gm can be fooled, or convin$ed.

i think you're trollin me. so i'm not gonna put a lof of effort in more of an explanation.

the cavs are an easy (pitt) easy (bair) easy (contract) easy ($) easy (pick) easy (gem) easy (casspi?) easy (cap) easy (bonner?) easy (gem(s?) trade partner for blair. that's the short and sweet.

detroit and washington follow a similar line of thinking. they might be even be easier because there's no easy past casspi.

heat, blazers, celtics, bulls, hawks all had rumored interest. what convincing do they need? maybe they're like you? they just can't understand the blair is primo expiring spurs grade dump. maybe the spurs were pushing too hard for 1st swaps, draft rights, or unattainable gems? maybe the rumored interest was smoke screen?

i find the smoke screen case hard to swallow. i think most likely buford shoulda just settled. i'm convinced blair was at least worth (with convincing) a late 2nd, an open roster spot, some low grade dump to buy out, or whatever combo of those was available.

if i'm wrong, i guess i'm not surprised either. i very well could believe blair is the most valueless player in the league.

wildbill2u
02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
We did something. We brought in Bayne. I think he may prove to be as good as anything we could possibly have gotten in a trade since we didn't have much to trade with.

He has some pro experience and still young enough to develop some upside. If he can give us seven minutes like he did last night, I'm happy.

I'm never much for hopping on a bandwagon for a new big so I don't expect him to move Bonner or Diaw out of the rotation. Ain't gonna happen til Pop sees enough to give him those minutes.

But suppose last night is just the start of something good...eh?

DrSteffo
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Fakers should have done something, Spurs not so much.

DPG21920
02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
As a few others have stated, I am glad the Spurs did not trade Blair if his value was only a second round draft pick. Yes, while losing an asset for nothing (which is exactly what will happen for Blair this off season when he is a free agent and leaves the Spurs) is not a good thing, in this particular case the value of keeping him this year outweighed the losing him for nothing in the off season.

Beyond that thought I feel bad for Blair personally. His value is non-existent and he is in about the worst spot you can be in for a free agent: injury concerns, no playing time & trade value was pretty low. This might be the end for DB in the league as far as guaranteed money goes unfortunately. I could definitely see him sticking around, but bouncing around a little and it just seems like he might have to scratch and claw for guaranteed money due to his knees.

sventhedog
02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
nothing more we can do but hope that standing pat will give the spurs a different result this year because it has been failing the last few years.

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
nothing more we can do but hope that standing pat will give the spurs a different result this year because it has been failing the last few years.

:wtf

playblair
02-22-2013, 05:12 PM

DPG21920
02-22-2013, 05:33 PM
If they were "really interested" I am sure they would have made a solid offer. Don't think the Spurs were asking too much tbh..

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
As a few others have stated, I am glad the Spurs did not trade Blair if his value was only a second round draft pick. Yes, while losing an asset for nothing (which is exactly what will happen for Blair this off season when he is a free agent and leaves the Spurs) is not a good thing, in this particular case the value of keeping him this year outweighed the losing him for nothing in the off season.

Beyond that thought I feel bad for Blair personally. His value is non-existent and he is in about the worst spot you can be in for a free agent: injury concerns, no playing time & trade value was pretty low. This might be the end for DB in the league as far as guaranteed money goes unfortunately. I could definitely see him sticking around, but bouncing around a little and it just seems like he might have to scratch and claw for guaranteed money due to his knees.

i disagree with the top, but i'm right there with you on the bottom. the spurs not only wasted a roster spot by keeping blair, but they screwed him over really bad. they know darn well they shoulda taken a late 2nd and a open roster spot. they must know greene wouldn't sign, or have no faith in a toro. maybe there's an element of pride involved? i bet it's just a case where valuing team chemistry has gone the tiniest of a tad too far.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Fakers should have done something, Spurs not so much.

i wonder if gasol and clark woulda been an acceptable offer for smith? spurs needed to dump blair.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
i disagree with the top, but i'm right there with you on the bottom. the spurs not only wasted a roster spot by keeping blair, but they screwed him over really bad. they know darn well they shoulda taken a late 2nd and a open roster spot. they must know greene wouldn't sign, or have no faith in a toro. maybe there's an element of pride involved? i bet it's just a case where valuing team chemistry has gone the tiniest of a tad too far.Most teams couldn't just send back a second rounder for Blair.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM
You're probably too ignorant to know that most teams couldn't just send back a second rounder for Blair.

yeah i do that's why i said open roster spot. implying taking on somebody that gets bought out.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM
man chump you are a hater

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
yeah i do that's why i said open roster spot. implying taking on somebody that gets bought out.Who? That makes no sense. I can't even think of any team who has done that for such a low salaried player.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
million dollar scrub x. heat jones. raptors pietrus, maybe acy if possible.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
million dollar scrub x. heat jones. raptors pietrus, maybe acy if possible.So, no one anyone wants and a worthless pick.

May as well keep him unless he asks to be waived.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:32 PM
So, no one anyone wants and a worthless pick.

i don't consider any pick worthless in the spurs hands

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
i don't consider any pick worthless in the spurs handsGood for you. Point remains, those trades just don't happen.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
So, no one anyone wants and a worthless pick.

and a bought out "no one anyone wants" is an open roster spot for greene or a toro. without the headache of waived salary math.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
those kinda trades should happen. that's what i'm talking about when i say squeezing the toothpaste.

ace3g
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I hate those sports twitter bots that pick up any name or subject and make it sound like they have a source, Sports Whispers...cc

ChumpDumper
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
and a bought out "no one anyone wants" is an open roster spot for greene or a toro. without the headache of waived salary math.:lmao you think you can buy someone out without waiving them?

:rollin

Brunodf
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
God this fan base is ridiculously spoiled.
:depressedIts better play scrubs like Bonner/Blair/Neal than develop DeColo/Green/Kawhi/Splitter/Baynes
:depressedPop is always right! He traded our D for RJ/3 years of embarrassment

DrunkTXLabrat
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
:lmao you think you can buy someone out without waiving them?

:rollin

has that changed in the new cba? was it ever a thing? i thought players recieved in a trade could be bought out and have their salaries not count against the teams cap.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2013, 05:00 PM
has that changed in the new cba? was it ever a thing? i thought players recieved in a trade could be bought out and have their salaries not count against the teams cap.Wow. So much fail in so few sentences.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-23-2013, 06:10 PM
okay so i misunderstood the waiver rules. yeah it's a small fail. "ha ha! drunktxlabrat is that guy. the one who thought blair could be traded for an open roster spot."

ha ha! so funny! yeah, everybody knows buy outs still count against the cap!

fact, blairs contract coulda been absorbed by a team with cap space. blair = cap space + roster spot toothpaste squeezed outta the tube.

my strong opinion, lewis + late 2nd, nzar/radmonovic + late 2nd, melo + late 2nd, etc. all worth more than blair. blair = a pick + rotation upgrade toothpaste squeezed.

i suppose next you'll laugh at me for coulda shouldas. the fact still remains, blair is worthless. his offense is easily replaced. his heart, not so much. but his defense, just doesn't exist. no amount of heart is gonna make up for the size and talent he's of his nba opponents. chump, you just don't realize that fact. it's okay, i don't think the spurs do either. i hope everybody stays healthy, so ya'll don't find out.

i'm gonna post grumpy about it for a week or so. it just pisses me off. it's like watching somebody throw away an unsqueezed tube of toothpaste. amendment just for chump...

yeah toothpaste is cheap and replaceable... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
uh...
oh...
...um i can't finish the amendment.. it's too wasteful and ignorant.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
i'm gonna post grumpy about it for a week or so.I'll take the over.

EricB
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM
:depressedIts better play scrubs like Bonner/Blair/Neal than develop DeColo/Green/Kawhi/Splitter/Baynes

He traded two players who were retiring and one who's shot. Save that horsecrap...

Brunodf
02-24-2013, 01:46 AM
He traded two players who were retiring and one who's shot. Save that horsecrap...

So that trade was good for the Spurs :lmao, right?
Choosing Bonner/Blair/Neal over the young guys:lmao

Beanzamillion21
02-24-2013, 04:03 AM
sigh

Gagnrath
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
The Bowen and Pieces for RJ trade was trading the salery of 3 guys who were done for a guy who should have been peaking career wise. Yes arguably there could have been a year or two out of fabs but his heart issues make that questionable and in theory a year where Bowen was toward the end of the bench (honestly the hurt relations with bowen are the biggest loss of this trade in my opinion.). This was a case of mis evaluated talent though, Jefferson was the player that Kidd made. Jefferson on his own eats alot of possessions to score 15ppg and play average disinterested defense. Jefferson being bitchslapped by Kidd scored 20 ppg and plays slightly above average defense.

Once he got that pairing got separated you see the real Jefferson come out. I compare it in many ways to marion and nash though Marion also had kid for awhile which helped him considerably as well. Some players need a system to look good some players look good by being spoonfed. Jefferson was both.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm cool with no moves since there obviously wasn't anything out there that could have made a difference. There's no point making moves for the sake of making moves, especially when you have a system as difficult to learn as ours.

This team has made some big internal improvements this season, and it wins through self-sacrifice, chemistry and experience. Now we just need to stay healthy and get a few good bounces and we're as good a shot as any team at winning the rings.

EricB
02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
So that trade was good for the Spurs :lmao, right?
Choosing Bonner/Blair/Neal over the young guys:lmao

Yeah the trade was good. You traded nothing for a player. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

What young guys is bonner playing over?

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah the trade was good. You traded nothing for a player. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

What young guys is bonner playing over?
1):lol
2)Kawhi/Baynes/Splitter

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 01:10 AM
spurfan needs to learn about numbers.

EricB
02-25-2013, 02:00 AM
1):lol
2)Kawhi/Baynes/Splitter

Kawhi nor splitter is losing playing time to them.

baynes will get his chance best year and is not a difference maker this year.

again, thinking the players traded to Milwaukee were integral missed pieces is ridiculously stupid.

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Kawhi nor splitter is losing playing time to them.

baynes will get his chance best year and is not a difference maker this year.

again, thinking the players traded to Milwaukee were integral missed pieces is ridiculously stupid.
Thinking RJ was an upgrade and helped the team is ridiculously stupid

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
considering the low cost, that rj trade was an upgrade. the rj re-sign was the big rj mistake.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 04:24 PM
i wonder if the spurs coulda got wilson chandler for green, blair and filler?

txstr1986
02-25-2013, 04:24 PM
considering the low cost, that rj trade was an upgrade. the rj re-sign was the big rj mistake.

And now we all realize why the cost was so low...

Brazil
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM

the re-sign was a pure financial move

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Low cost? 14 mil for a player worse than Danny Green

DesignatedT
02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't see how anyone could dog the RJ trade. The FO made what they thought to be a game changing transaction to help the big 3. Nobody could have seen it working out as bad as it did.

The RJ extension is definitely the questionable part but it was either him or nobody. It's not like the Spurs could have went and spent 10m/yr on a FA. It was RJ or nothing. Some would have preferred to go with nothing and I get that.The RJ extension did allow us to bring Jackson back though.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't see how anyone could dog the RJ trade.

This.

Damn near 100% of SpursTalk and well over 90% of the NBA talking heads thought that the trade was a great move. It's easy to criticize it now with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but there are very few people that can bring up a post from June, 2009 that was critical of the trade.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Low cost? 14 mil for a player worse than Danny Green

designated and mel took the words right outta my mouth.

spurraider21
02-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Fabs was essentially done at the time of the trade
Bruce was set to retire at the time of the trade
They were thrown in as salary filler more than anything. It was pretty much Kurt Thomas for RJ at the time. In hindsight the RJ trade sucked ass but hindsight is 20/20. You can't really blame them for acquiring the one thing we had lacked for a while, a legit athletic wing scorer. In theory RJ was actually a perfect fit, much like Kawhi is for our offense, RJ was supposed to be the more explosive version of that.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
DesignatedT

i think the spurs shoulda gone with nothing. rj shoulda came back cheap or hit the road that off-season. is that the year the spurs lost hairston? i liked hairston.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
the re-sign was a pure financial move

that was a dad gum risky move. no hindsight necessary.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
DesignatedT

i think the spurs shoulda gone with nothing. rj shoulda came back cheap or hit the road that off-season.Those weren't really the choices available at the time.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
how were those not the choices chump

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
how were those not the choices chumpAll signs point to there being a predetermined deal between RJ and the Spurs where RJ opted out of his final year and signed for multiple years with a much smaller amount in the first year to keep the Spurs able to sign more players without running into tax problems. Some might argue that the Spurs could have just reneged on such a deal and been free and clear of RJ forevah, but such bad faith would have destroyed any goodwill the Spurs have with agents along with the ability to make similar negotiations in the future.

Spur|n|Austin
02-25-2013, 06:46 PM
i wonder if the spurs coulda got wilson chandler for green, blair and filler?

stop.

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Fabs was essentially done at the time of the trade
Bruce was set to retire at the time of the trade
They were thrown in as salary filler more than anything. It was pretty much Kurt Thomas for RJ at the time. In hindsight the RJ trade sucked ass but hindsight is 20/20. You can't really blame them for acquiring the one thing we had lacked for a while, a legit athletic wing scorer. In theory RJ was actually a perfect fit, much like Kawhi is for our offense, RJ was supposed to be the more explosive version of that.

Facts are facts and that trade was a mistake.
MJ thought Kwame Brown was better than Chandler/Gasol/Joe Johnson/Zbo/G.Wallace/TP/Arenas and wanted the best for the team, but that doesn't change the fact that picking Kwame was a mistake.

spurraider21
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
MJ thought Kwame Brown was better than Chandler/Gasol/Joe Johnson/Zbo/G.Wallace/TP/Arenas and wanted the best for the team, but that doesn't change the fact that picking Kwame was a mistake.

RJ had proven to be a good scorer on 2 different NBA teams, including one that went to the Finals for 2 consecutive years. its hard to predict that he'd completely flame out the way he did

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
All signs point to there being a predetermined deal between RJ and the Spurs where RJ opted out of his final year and signed for multiple years with a much smaller amount in the first year to keep the Spurs able to sign more players without running into tax problems. Some might argue that the Spurs could have just reneged on such a deal and been free and clear of RJ forevah, but such bad faith would have destroyed any goodwill the Spurs have with agents along with the ability to make similar negotiations in the future.

fair enough.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 07:17 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/300x/7837409.jpg

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
fair enough.

that's all technical details anyway. my point is rj shoulda been more appropriately dealt with that offseason. a trade shoulda been made. not a contract re-negotiation. that's on the spurs FO with their overconfidence and indecisiveness regarding their acquisitions.

therealtruth
02-25-2013, 07:32 PM
All signs point to there being a predetermined deal between RJ and the Spurs where RJ opted out of his final year and signed for multiple years with a much smaller amount in the first year to keep the Spurs able to sign more players without running into tax problems. Some might argue that the Spurs could have just reneged on such a deal and been free and clear of RJ forevah, but such bad faith would have destroyed any goodwill the Spurs have with agents along with the ability to make similar negotiations in the future.

I'm pretty sure any kind of deal like that would be illegal like Joe Smith's Minny deal that cost them draft picks.

therealtruth
02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
This.

Damn near 100% of SpursTalk and well over 90% of the NBA talking heads thought that the trade was a great move. It's easy to criticize it now with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but there are very few people that can bring up a post from June, 2009 that was critical of the trade.

I really didn't like the trade because I didn't think RJ's defense would be good enough.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure any kind of deal like that would be illegal like Joe Smith's Minny deal that cost them draft picks.Prove it.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
come on chump you have to admit that rj opt out thing was sketchy. i think the only reason they didn't get punished is cause stern figured more years and money for rj was punishment enough.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
come on chump you have to admit that rj opt out thing was sketchy. i think the only reason they didn't get punished is cause stern figured more years and money for rj was punishment enough.Or they simply couldn't prove anything.

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
I really didn't like the trade because I didn't think RJ's defense would be good enough.

:rolleyes