PDA

View Full Version : Which team that didn't make a move should have?

chasky
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Strauss: The San Antonio Spurs should have swung for the fences and gotten Josh Smith. It's an easier risk to take from my couch, but a Stephen Jackson-Tiago Splitter package for Smith's services would be the right play here. San Antonio has a knack for improving jump shots (See: Kawhi Leonard and Richard Jefferson), and a sweeter-shooting Smoove could be a devastating force. A Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili-Leonard-Smith-Tim Duncan team would be my favorite to win the West.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130221/nba-best-worst-2013-trade-deadline

Opinions?

SpurSpurSpurs
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
System, not humble, no back up SF, PnR > ISO and too many other reasons to mention. Even Hollinger's unreliable trade machine predicts we're going to lose at least 3 more games with that deal.

Poolboy5623
02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Not sure what to think...if the spurs don't win it, we can always wonder..

ChumpDumper
02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Not worth the rental fee.

BatManu20
02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Spurs didn't necessarily need to trade for Smith, but they needed to make a trade imo. This team is far from perfect, and as constructed is built more for regular season success than the playoffs imo. I guess we'll see come playoff time. I, for one, don't think we can beat OKC or Miami in a 7 game series right now, but I think it'd be really close. Wish we would've at least swung another athletic big or backup PG, but I guess they're banking on Tiago's improvement and Parker's play to be enough.

MSPaint
02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Strauss: The San Antonio Spurs should have swung for the fences and gotten Josh Smith. It's an easier risk to take from my couch, but a Stephen Jackson-Tiago Splitter package for Smith's services would be the right play here. San Antonio has a knack for improving jump shots (See: Kawhi Leonard and Richard Jefferson), and a sweeter-shooting Smoove could be a devastating force. A Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili-Leonard-Smith-Tim Duncan team would be my favorite to win the West.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130221/nba-best-worst-2013-trade-deadline

Opinions?

Did San Antonio really improve his jumpshot? I sure do remember a lot of bricks...

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Spurs didn't necessarily need to trade for Smith, but they needed to make a trade imo. This team is far from perfect, and as constructed is built more for regular season success than the playoffs imo. I guess we'll see come playoff time. I, for one, don't think we can beat OKC or Miami in a 7 game series right now, but I think it'd be really close. Wish we would've at least swung another athletic big or backup PG, but I guess they're banking on Tiago's improvement and Parker's play to be enough.

Care to give an example of a legal, somewhat realistic, trade that would have changed your opinion?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
rj did get better at the 3

DrunkTXLabrat
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM
i don't think smith would have been worth any of the big 3 kawhi or splitter though.

SpurSpurSpurs
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM

I disagree, there is a chance we can win a 7 game series against OKC or MIA with the current roster we have. Then if a back up PG steps up and Baynes to really (I mean really) develop well, pretty sure we can be the team to beat, at least in WCF.

exstatic
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
OKC must not feel set. They had something brewing and held Perk out of last night's game.

There are no perfect teams. Even OKC and Miami have flaws.

BatManu20
02-21-2013, 09:49 PM
I disagree, there is a chance we can win a 7 game series against OKC or MIA with the current roster we have. Then if a back up PG steps up and Baynes to really (I mean really) develop well, pretty sure we can be the team to beat, at least in WCF.

Well I didn't mean I don't think we CAN win. I should've worded it better. I know we can win, I just think that right now we'd lose in a 7 game series. I like our chances against OKC bette than Miami even though everyone thinks we'd be a tough matchup for Miami. If Lebron goes God mode, there's literally nothing we can do. And they still have Wade and Bosh and they good 3-point shooters all over the court. Battier has become almost automatic from 3 if he's open. OKC I think would still go 6 or 7, but I think we can beat them. I'm just worried about their fresh legs in a game 6 or 7 over our older guys, like what happened last year. But, a lot can happen from now until playoff time though, so we'll have to wait and see.

shorttotry
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Honestly I'm happy with the team we have. I'd love another defensive big and ditching either Bonner or Blair, but that ain't gonna happen without packaging one of the players that I don't want to part with. I really think we we can beat OKC as we are... Miami, well that's a big question mark.

shorttotry
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
But as I watch this Miami Chicago game, Lebron is in official God mode already.

BatManu20
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
And it's come to the point where anytime Bonner enters the game bad things just start happening. It's like clockwork. If he plays in the playoffs (which he will cause Pop loves him), he'll be a huge liability.

Mel_13
02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
And it's come to the point where anytime Bonner enters the game bad things just start happening. It's like clockwork. If he plays in the playoffs (which he will cause Pop loves him), he'll be a huge liability.

Pop didn't show him much love in Games 4-6 of the WCF.

sananspursfan21
02-21-2013, 10:06 PM
didn't see where anyone addressed the issue of tiago missing should we have done such a goofy trade. well, any smart trade the spurs could have made would have had to leave splitter out. for this team to have a chance this year, he has to be in a spurs uniform

Richie
02-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Utah should have got something for Jefferson. They'll lose him for nothing in a couple of months, could have at least got a decent role player.

ffadicted
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
> Best record in the league and best chance of dethroning Miami
> "Should've swung for the fences"

MFW

pad300
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Care to give an example of a legal, somewhat realistic, trade that would have changed your opinion?

AK47 for Sjax, 2013 1st, 2015 first
or
Marion for Sjax, 2013 1st

spursmartyr
02-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Well that guy is a fucking moron. Crawl, motherfucker, crawl!! Since trading Splitter for a hybrid forward means that the Spurs would have literally zero bigman depth.

spursmartyr
02-22-2013, 01:02 AM
or

No, and no. Marion is washed up/ineffective as an "elite" utility player now – and Kirilenko sucks. Someone lived under a rock in May-June of 2003 and 2012.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 01:02 AM
or
Marion for Sjax, 2013 1stSo two guys who weren't on the block.

OK.

exstatic
02-22-2013, 01:15 AM
LAC

letmk
02-22-2013, 01:29 AM
This guy knows nothing about basketball if he ever watched a Spurs game. Smith might be a nice addition, but Splitter's role to this Spurs team is much more important than an unsure SF/PF player.

cheguevara
02-22-2013, 01:34 AM
:lmao clips :lmao

T Park
02-22-2013, 01:41 AM
or

lmfao @ Shawn Marion

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Obviously not sure how reliable the rumors were but if the asking price for Garnett was Bledsoe + Jordan and KG was willing to accept the trade, then the Clippers fucked up not pulling the trigger.

Man In Black
02-22-2013, 02:31 AM
All that time on his couch and he don't know shit about the game.

Mal
02-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Splitter for half year rental of Smith ? I suppose that wasnt even an option to discuss.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-22-2013, 04:31 AM

Opinions?

:lmao No. No freakin way. Goes against the core principles of our team.

This team cannot win the Championship without Splitter, and no way Smoove learns the system and buys into Pop's plan in two months flat.

If you really want a Smith-to-Spurs argument, it has to be in the off-season, and even then it's the kind of wild risk the Spurs don't take.

buttsR4rebounding
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Well I didn't mean I don't think we CAN win. I should've worded it better. I know we can win, I just think that right now we'd lose in a 7 game series. I like our chances against OKC bette than Miami even though everyone thinks we'd be a tough matchup for Miami. If Lebron goes God mode, there's literally nothing we can do. And they still have Wade and Bosh and they good 3-point shooters all over the court. Battier has become almost automatic from 3 if he's open. OKC I think would still go 6 or 7, but I think we can beat them. I'm just worried about their fresh legs in a game 6 or 7 over our older guys, like what happened last year. But, a lot can happen from now until playoff time though, so we'll have to wait and see.

I think we beat OKC. I think we were the better team last year. The series swung on an insane shooting perfomance by Perkins/Ibaka in a game that they shot a combined 91% and we lost by 6 points. I believe we are better this year than last. Tiago's improvement on both offensive and defense is notable. Tony is playing at a different level right now and much has been made of Tim "turning back the clock" although I don't believe he has fully recovered from the knee injury. Plus, OKC without Harden is not as good. Even with the Perkins/Ibaka onslaught they still needed Harden to be unconsious from 3 point range to win that game. Spurs take OKC in 5 or 6 this year. Heck, the Spurs went on the Rodeo Road trip up 1 game on OKC and may come back up 4. Who should fear whom? :nope

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 09:48 AM
or

AK47 was never on the market, so I regard that as more fantasy than realistic.

SJax plus a pick for Marion, IMO, would have been enough to get Dallas' attention. I also believe it would have been overpaying. Not grossly overpaying, but overpaying nonetheless. The team dumping salary normally pays the premium. I do agree, however, agree that Marion would have been valuable against Durant and LeBron.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Honestly I don't think we can beat OKC. It's going to be close again. They did get UNREAL performances from role players last year. Not sure that happens again. I do have a fear of one sided officiating, I know every fan of any team bitches about officiating. But I think small market NBA fans have legit complaints.....

Miami is clicking, I don't think their team is as good as OKC's or ours, but they have LeBron James. They are playing amazing right now, and flat out handled OKC last year. This season will be interesting come playoff time, we have a shot. Though I have to admit, last year I was drinking the Kool-aid, thought we were winning it all! This year I haven't ever really thought, "We are winning it all."

pad300
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
AK47 was never on the market, so I regard that as more fantasy than realistic.
AK47 is 32 this February. AK47 has a player option this summer, and 1 year left if he doesn't exercise it. AK47 is having a great season. AK47 can get one last big contract in his career. AK47 is contracted to MIN; they have no ring hopes, and nobody actually loves living in Minneapolis. Conclusion AK47 will opt out this summer.
If AK47 opts out, he is a UFA, and MIN has no bird rights....
Therefore if someone put an offer on the table, MIN would consider it. Two picks for a rental? IMO MIN would take it. We might have even got away with one pick...

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
AK47 is 32 this February. AK47 has a player option this summer, and 1 year left if he doesn't exercise it. AK47 is having a great season. AK47 can get one last big contract in his career. AK47 is contracted to MIN; they have no ring hopes, and nobody actually loves living in Minneapolis. Conclusion AK47 will opt out this summer.
If AK47 opts out, he is a UFA, and MIN has no bird rights....
Therefore if someone put an offer on the table, MIN would consider it. Two picks for a rental? IMO MIN would take it. We might have even got away with one pick...

I disagree.

AK47 may well opt out, but Minnesota wasn't going to trade him to avoid that risk. Certainly not for 1 or 2 late first round picks. Kevin Love is looking for the right moves from management. Trading AK47 would be the wrong move.

Bruno
02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I have little doubts Spurs could have made a deal that would have made marginally better this season, BUT:

First, I have some doubts this move would have been good enough to be a deciding factor in the playoffs.
Second, it isn't all about this year. This move would have cost some financial flexibility and/or draft picks which would have hurt Spurs future.

rascal
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

The Spurs will not beat Miami unless there is an injury to a key Miami player.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Consider the source on this. Strauss wrote last spring about how the Spurs are "quite boring" (http://hoopspeak.com/2012/05/the-spurs-are-boring/) after they beat Utah, sided completely with the league (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-121204/nba-aftermath-david-stern-san-antonio-spurs-drama) in the Restgate fiasco and suggested that the Spurs were a PR problem for the league, and begrudgingly agreed (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130123-West/nba-western-conference-all-star-reserve-picks) that Tony Parker should be an All-Star this year by calling him deserving but one of "the players I'd least like to watch."

Strauss thinks the Spurs needed Josh Smith not because it would have made the Spurs better, but because it would have made the Spurs more interesting to him.

batman2883
02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
ak47 is still around??

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Consider the source on this. Strauss wrote last spring about how the Spurs are "quite boring" (http://hoopspeak.com/2012/05/the-spurs-are-boring/) after they beat Utah, sided completely with the league (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-121204/nba-aftermath-david-stern-san-antonio-spurs-drama) in the Restgate fiasco and suggested that the Spurs were a PR problem for the league, and begrudgingly agreed (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130123-West/nba-western-conference-all-star-reserve-picks) that Tony Parker should be an All-Star this year by calling him deserving but one of "the players I'd least like to watch."

Strauss thinks the Spurs needed Josh Smith not because it would have made the Spurs better, but because it would have made the Spurs more interesting to him.

Wow. He also left Duncan off his All-Star team entirely.

Interrohater
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Maybe I'm getting sappy in my old age, but I do believe that by not trading Captain Jack and showing loyalty to him in a very rough time in his life, they will be richly rewarded in the playoffs. You read it here first: Captain Jack will be the hero in a tight game this postseason.

As was demonstrated last night, this team is a very cohesive unit. To throw that in disarray to "swing for the fences" is the sort of move that the Lakers or Knicks would do. Forget team chemistry, IQ, understanding of the system and just go and purchase the best athlete you can find.

Interrohater
02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Come on man, give them some credit. Lebron is out of his mind right now, but I'm not so sure that his team will be able to handle the Spurs as a whole. There's no way to shut him down, but unless he can score 100 points on 50 shots, it's a team game and the Spurs are the best in the game when it comes to playing team basketball.

BlackSilver
02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Maybe I'm getting sappy in my old age, but I do believe that by not trading Captain Jack and showing loyalty to him in a very rough time in his life, they will be richly rewarded in the playoffs. You read it here first: Captain Jack will be the hero in a tight game this postseason.

As was demonstrated last night, this team is a very cohesive unit. To throw that in disarray to "swing for the fences" is the sort of move that the Lakers or Knicks would do. Forget team chemistry, IQ, understanding of the system and just go and purchase the best athlete you can find.

I'm with you brother. Some things don't show up on a stat sheet.

SpurSpurSpurs
02-25-2013, 04:04 AM

at least in WCF.

sventhedog
02-25-2013, 08:21 AM
splitter is too much to give up for someone who might not resign with the team. end of story.