PDA

View Full Version : TNT giving notice to Aron B.

jermaine
02-22-2013, 01:21 AM
I found it very funny how they referred to him an the dude from Batman. They had me cracking up ttalking about how bighe is. How wide his shoshoulders are.

chapnis
02-22-2013, 01:35 AM
He is our biggest player.

cheguevara
02-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Well he does look like he took a gallon of steroids fore d game

KaiRMD1
02-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Once Baynes figures out how big he is, it's over.

playblair
02-22-2013, 01:39 AM
blair/baynes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bonner ..................

Boomersgold
02-22-2013, 01:41 AM

I can agree with this. A stretch 4 that gives nothing on defense shouldn't be on the regular rotation of an NBA team.

outmap
02-22-2013, 01:43 AM
He almost ripped Hollins shoulder on a rebound, the guy is not only big but strong; And that block!
Once he figures out the system, he won't be a Reggie Evans as he claimed to be, he will be the Spurs version of Pekovic!

tim_duncan_fan
02-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Baynes, Baynes, Baynes's the name!

TrainOfThought5
02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
seriously that was a nasty, toe to toe, grown man block.

and he was classy enough to recover and send a Timmy-like outlet pass.

:toast: i love him

chapnis
02-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Baynes > Bonner > Blair

Dingle Barry
02-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Bonner creates a great mismatch... stop hating. His D is exceptional too for what he is. Pop's just looking for the Steve Kerr type of moment from him.

please never post here again

Sean Cagney
02-22-2013, 02:15 AM

Get Blairs sorry ass outta the equation there. STOP IT. I wish Baynes would take both their damn minutes lol.
Bonner creates a great mismatch... stop hating. His D is exceptional too for what he is. Pop's just looking for the Steve Kerr type of moment from him.

STFU you idiot.... STOP IT.

capek
02-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Hopefully this game pushes Pop to start giving Baynes whatever minutes here and there he's currently giving Blair. Then he starts to chip away at Bonner's minutes, until Baynes is the 4th big off the bench by the playoffs. The kind of space this guy demands and his ability to push guys into spots could make it so much easier for the second unit to get open lanes to the bucket, as well as rebound off missed shots.

TrainOfThought5
02-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Hopefully this game pushes Pop to start giving Baynes whatever minutes here and there he's currently giving Blair. Then he starts to chip away at Bonner's minutes, until Baynes is the 4th big off the bench by the playoffs. The kind of space this guy demands and his ability to push guys into spots could make it so much easier for the second unit to get open lanes to the bucket, as well as rebound off missed shots.

did u see him seal the lane for SJax to get the easy layup?!?!?!

i swooned.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Aron Mensah-Baynesu

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 02:26 AM

Baynes should get more of a chance after trade deadline. Slowly but surely. Not going to be easy.

letmk
02-22-2013, 02:29 AM

It looks unlikely though. Tonight's rotation before the garbage time should be the one Pop will use. Tim/Splitter/Diaw are the 3-big man rotation, and Bonner gets some sporadic minutes.

freetiago
02-22-2013, 02:31 AM
Baynes needs to dye his hair red and start flopping everytime he attempts to go up for a rebound
maybe Pop will play him then

capek
02-22-2013, 02:32 AM

i swooned.

That was some impressive stuff! Baynes didn't look super compfortable (though he picked up confidence as went) out there, but you could tell he knows better where he's supposed to be then he did when he got here. That's some observable improvement. I just hope Pop puts him on a trajectory to be at least compete for a spot in the rotation as the season winds down. Looks like he's done that with De Colo, which I and some of us were calling for early on, so hopefully that's a good sign that he'll do that with Baynes too.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Shit will be lost if he's assigned to Austin.

RD2191
02-22-2013, 02:34 AM
Baynes needs to dye his hair red and start flopping everytime he attempts to go up for a rebound
maybe Pop will play him then
LMFAO

capek
02-22-2013, 02:37 AM
It looks unlikely though. Tonight's rotation before the garbage time should be the one Pop will use. Tim/Splitter/Diaw are the 3-big man rotation, and Bonner gets some sporadic minutes.

Could have said the same thing about Neal being the back up PG in the first couple months of the season. In fact, most of ST said just that. But I kept calling for Colo to get a chance to earn the spot on the court, and looks like that's happened. Hopefully Baynes will get the same chance, which I don't think is too unlikely. Because 1) Spurs shopping Blair like a used car salesman shops a lemon, in general the extent to which he's fallen out of the rotation, and 2) I believe that if Baynes can just take over Blair's sporadic minutes, he will be able to show enough to indicate he'd have a much greater impact on the success of the team than Bonner is capable of.

letmk
02-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Could have said the same thing about Neal being the back up PG in the first couple months of the season. In fact, most of ST said just that. But I kept calling for Colo to get a chance to earn the spot on the court, and looks like that's happened. Hopefully Baynes will get the same chance, which I don't think is too unlikely. Because 1) Spurs shopping Blair like a used car salesman shops a lemon, in general the extent to which he's fallen out of the rotation, and 2) I believe that if Baynes can just take over Blair's sporadic minutes, he will be able to show enough to indicate he'd have a much greater impact on the success of the team than Bonner is capable of.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Before today, I think Pop is show-casing Blair a little bit to the potential buyers. Now, there is no need for that, and Baynes should be ahead of Blair for the leftover minutes.

Sean Cagney
02-22-2013, 02:42 AM
I'm sorry you don't understand the Spurs system.

You're ignorant and should lose any respect you had from anyone (if any) for talking that way. Keep it civil... it's the internet lol

MAN STFU Spurs system, Bonner is some shit and proved it for years on end in the playoffs. Don't even speak to me on that clown. I understand his 30% shooting in the playoffs, whats hard to uderstand he sucks?

I agree with other dude, don't post here again with Bonner a good defender and Kerr type moment.

Keep your Bonner crap you speak for ransom becase we won't want to hear it.

playblair
02-22-2013, 02:46 AM
increase blairs minutes ............. give bonner pattys role................

baynes/blair compliment each other & bring physicality .................

toughness line up..............

manu
leonard
jackson
blair
baynes

jesterbobman
02-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Baynes could be a Pek type with huge value as a space eater inside. But it takes time for players to adjust(Look at Pek rookie vs Sophomore year) and Baynes may not be ready by the playoffs. I hope he is, because he could have a huge impact if the knowledge of the system is good enough that he cuts down mental mistakes.

The screen on Jacksons high speed drive to the rim was pretty awesome.

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 03:02 AM
increase blairs minutes ............. give bonner pattys role................

baynes/blair compliment each other & bring physicality .................

manu
leonard
jackson
blair
baynes

Give minutes ahead of Blair/Bonner. Done. That's really all you need. Blair is as much trash as you think Bonner is.

capek
02-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Can people stop quoting trolls like playblair? He should be on everybody's ignore list by now.

letmk
02-22-2013, 03:08 AM
After this RRT, I wish that Baynes could get 10 minutes for 10 games to show whether he can contribute for playoffs. Unfortunately the chance of that happening is slim to none.

Pasta Batman
02-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Can people stop quoting trolls like playblair? He should be on everybody's ignore list by now.
Apologies. New here, but I am about to start.

KL2
02-22-2013, 03:12 AM
He may be big, but can he stretch the floor?

3pt shooting>>>>post/put back points, shot blocking, rebounding, setting great screens, altering shots.

capek
02-22-2013, 03:13 AM
Apologies. New here, but I am about to start.

Just a general statement, not necessarily directed at you. Plenty of long time members who should know better do it all the time, just to complain about their crap posts, when it'd be better for everyone if the trolls were on everyone's ignore list, so no one has to be bothered with 'em :tu

anyways, enough of that soapbox. I see Blair's averaging 13.6 minutes this season, would love to hands those lock stock and two smoking barrels over to Baynes. Make it happen Pop!

capek
02-22-2013, 03:15 AM
He may be big, but can he stretch the floor?

3pt shooting>>>>post/put back points, shot blocking, rebounding, setting great screens, altering shots.

:lol

Almost took that bait. Nicely played :tu

jermaine
02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
I was looking at dude an said im hope Pop still knows he plays for us. I watch every game hoping to see him play. I wanted to see him against D.Jordan. his rrecovery speed, O My Dam..

jermaine
02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
He also sets a mean asss screen! Niggas would get tired of feeling those shoulders.

UZER
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
"These playoffs aren't for him." - Pop on Baynes circa late April 2013

DapDaGenius
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
increase baynes minutes ............. give blair pattys role................

baynes/duncan compliment each other & bring physicality .................

manu
leonard
jackson
duncan
baynes

Fixed it.

Embedded
02-22-2013, 08:46 AM

i swooned.
Wow, I saw that seal-off too, realized this guy had some basketball smarts as well. He was more effective than Mr. Blair last night.

Strategic
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
He's not going to be able to match the athleticism of Dwight Howard, but I'm not sure that he doesn't have similiar upper body strength. It was good to see him get some floor time.

racm
02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
He's not going to be able to match the athleticism of Dwight Howard, but I'm not sure that he doesn't have similiar upper body strength. It was good to see him get some floor time.

He can screen two players at the same time. Can Dwight do that?

UZER
02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
He can screen two players at the same time. Can Dwight do that?

Dwight's screening his entire team right now.

manufan10
02-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Aron Mensah-Baynesu

:lmao

I'm not getting caught up in the hype yet. He probably won't get significant minutes this season. However, I am looking forward to seeing him getting more minutes next season.

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Just a general statement, not necessarily directed at you. Plenty of long time members who should know better do it all the time, just to complain about their crap posts, when it'd be better for everyone if the trolls were on everyone's ignore list, so no one has to be bothered with 'em :tu

anyways, enough of that soapbox. I see Blair's averaging 13.6 minutes this season, would love to hands those lock stock and two smoking barrels over to Baynes. Make it happen Pop!

Blair doesn't have a 13 minute slice of the rotation.

Look at Blair's game log from the day Splitter was inserted into the starting line-up until the Atlanta game that Duncan rested before hurting his knee the next night in Philly. Blair only played in 10 of the 18 games and virtually all of his minutes were in garbage time. When Tim, Tiago, and Diaw are all healthy Blair only plays in garbage time and in case of foul trouble. Even if Baynes was given all of Blair's minutes, he would still rack up plenty of DNP-CDs and only see the court in garbage time.

Before you say Bonner, look at Bonner's minutes in that same stretch. He got a few stints as a situational player to jump start a sluggish offense, but he was also getting the great majority of his minutes in garbage time.

The bottom line is that Baynes can only get a spot in the real rotation by having minutes carved out of Tiago's and Diaw's playing time. That's not going to happen this season. So, I'll be pulling for more blowouts because the guy is fun to watch.

Seventyniner
02-22-2013, 10:36 AM
The bottom line is that Baynes can only get a spot in the real rotation by having minutes carved out of Tiago's and Diaw's playing time. That's not going to happen this season.

This. If Pop is forced to play more than 3 bigs in the playoffs, we're screwed anyway as it's likely due to injury. That or foul trouble.

KL2
02-22-2013, 10:39 AM

He definitely should be able to, I saw him bodying up Pekovic (6'10 290) who I think Dwight called the strongest guy in the league. Watching those two guys battle was pretty entertaining, they looked evenly matched.

KL2
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM

i swooned.

He was doing that against against Charlotte and most recently against the TWolves. He set like 4 straight screens that picked off Rubio perfectly allowing TP to either score or suck in the defense and kick it out to a wide open shooter. Brett Brown even raved about his screening ability. It reminds me of when Tiago first started getting consistent playing time, the screens he would set for guys really helped the offense.

TampaDude
02-22-2013, 10:52 AM
The name is Baynes...Aron Baynes... :hat

look_at_g_shred
02-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Dude looked more comfortable on the court last night.

capek
02-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Blair doesn't have a 13 minute slice of the rotation.

Look at Blair's game log from the day Splitter was inserted into the starting line-up until the Atlanta game that Duncan rested before hurting his knee the next night in Philly. Blair only played in 10 of the 18 games and virtually all of his minutes were in garbage time. When Tim, Tiago, and Diaw are all healthy Blair only plays in garbage time and in case of foul trouble. Even if Baynes was given all of Blair's minutes, he would still rack up plenty of DNP-CDs and only see the court in garbage time.

Before you say Bonner, look at Bonner's minutes in that same stretch. He got a few stints as a situational player to jump start a sluggish offense, but he was also getting the great majority of his minutes in garbage time.

The bottom line is that Baynes can only get a spot in the real rotation by having minutes carved out of Tiago's and Diaw's playing time. That's not going to happen this season. So, I'll be pulling for more blowouts because the guy is fun to watch.

I don't know, I think there's an 8-12 minute chunk out there each game that could eventually go to Baynes by the season end. It hinges on Baynes first grabbing all of Blairs minutes (garbage time and because of foul trouble for Tim/Tiago still count), and over time showing a net benefit to running a larger back up lineup of Diaw/Baynes over a small lineup that for part of it has us playing small ball with Jack at the 4. Tiago is averaging 23.7 mpg, Diaw is averaging 23.6, Bonner 12.6, Timmy 29.4, SJax 20.8.

I could easily see Pop the empiricist, Pop the experimenter start by giving Baynes consistent garbage time minutes, and if he determines it would be worth a further experiment at this point in the season, and assuming Baynes shows solid play and incremental improvement in those marginal minutes, I could see Pop shaving a minute here, a minute there from other players and lineups to give Baynes that 8-12 minutes outside of just garbage time and foul trouble situations.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
that win was great. those garbage minutes for baynes were beautiful. the boards and put backs, the screens, and the affected shots.

blair looked awful. can't wait to see baynes gobble all of blairs showcase minutes. #letblairdnp

i'm pleasantly surprised with how all around decent bonner is looking. the spurs need to give him better passes. he's a diva about his shot. a bonner/baynes garbage minute rotation might be good enough for more? diaw could move to the 3?

add manu and nando, and that lineup is plenty willing to make a dime. 3's, shots, cuts everywhere. i love the idea of a nando, manu/baynes pick and roll. and manu/baynes anchor the defense pretty well. that is a solid bench. um... sorry jackson, mills, and neal. maybe injury time?

Mel_13
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't know, I think there's an 8-12 minute chunk out there each game that could eventually go to Baynes by the season end. It hinges on Baynes first grabbing all of Blairs minutes (garbage time and because of foul trouble for Tim/Tiago still count), and over time showing a net benefit to running a larger back up lineup of Diaw/Baynes over a small lineup that for part of it has us playing small ball with Jack at the 4. Tiago is averaging 23.7 mpg, Diaw is averaging 23.6, Bonner 12.6, Timmy 29.4, SJax 20.8.

I could easily see Pop the empiricist, Pop the experimenter start by giving Baynes consistent garbage time minutes, and if he determines it would be worth a further experiment at this point in the season, and assuming Baynes shows solid play and incremental improvement in those marginal minutes, I could see Pop shaving a minute here, a minute there from other players and lineups to give Baynes that 8-12 minutes outside of just garbage time and foul trouble situations.

We'll see, but I don't believe it will happen.

You really can't look at season averages and Splitter is a good example. He's averaging over 28 minutes for January and February. Including the early season games that Blair started in the averages doesn't reflect reality. Reality is that the lion's share of the 96 big man minutes will be split between Tim, Tiago, and Diaw. There will be small ball with Jack based on the matchups. Baynes won't play in situations that call for small ball and he will only play against conventional line-ups by taking time from Tiago or Boris. I just don't see it.

KenziE
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
after he grabbed an offensive reb out of hollins from behind and put back in for two Reggie Miller said he thought Baynes would kiss his guns after making the basket pretty funny stuff :lol

Interrohater
02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Has anybody made a highlight reel of last night's game for Baynes? I missed the block!

LittleCriminal
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Has anybody made a highlight reel of last night's game for Baynes? I missed the block!

I'd want to see this as well... Baynes looked x100 better than #45!

GB20
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Chase_the_Bass
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I am downloading the game right now, maybe I can download some editing software and make the highlight for youtube. Can't be that hard to do

Interrohater
02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
I am downloading the game right now, maybe I can download some editing software and make the highlight for youtube. Can't be that hard to do

:tu thanks!

loveforthegame
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
He's still a little unsure out there but much improved from previous games. You can see the flashes of what he's going to bring to the team.

NASpurs
02-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Can you keep some of the things Webber and Miller were saying about him? That shit was hilarious.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Aron Mensah-Baynesu

No. Baynes isn't better than the bigs the Spurs already have.

Samr.
02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Personally I think Baynes would benefit from some time in Austin. Let him go up there, wreck shop for a few weeks or a month, get some confidence and pt, then come back down as an in-shape insurance policy for playoff injuries.

superbigtime
02-22-2013, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Baynes getting some of Diaw's minutes. I think Baynes actually WILL be playing in the playoffs. maybe not regularly as a set part of the rotation, but certainly if fouls against Tiago start racking up. It seems that Tiago can sometimes be a foul magnet; he gets some phantom foul calls. diaw was victim of one last night too, with that nice block which was called a foul.

capek
02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Personally I think Baynes would benefit from some time in Austin. Let him go up there, wreck shop for a few weeks or a month, get some confidence and pt, then come back down as an in-shape insurance policy for playoff injuries.

Ya, no. He got his stint in Austin. His conditioning is fine. There's no reason to send him back down there. Let him be with the team, practice with the team, let him get some minutes on the court to put into practice everything he's learning and gain some confidence.

02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
hope the coaching staff takes a real interest in developing baynes. with some polish, he could be a solid 7 footer and those are the rarest breeds in the NBA. don't let him run around loose like blair.

letmk
02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Ya, no. He got his stint in Austin. His conditioning is fine. There's no reason to send him back down there. Let him be with the team, practice with the team, let him get some minutes on the court to put into practice everything he's learning and gain some confidence.

This. Unlike CoJo, who needs all kinds of experience, Baynes has already played in Europe League for a few years. He knows how to play professional basketball, just needs to learn to adjust to NBA/Spurs play. Even training with the team alone helps him more.

wildbill2u
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
This. Unlike CoJo, who needs all kinds of experience, Baynes has already played in Europe League for a few years. He knows how to play professional basketball, just needs to learn to adjust to NBA/Spurs play. Even training with the team alone helps him more.

As you say, he has some pro experience. And I think I remember reading that the coach of the Australian national team is an ex-Spur coach and uses the Spurs system. Perhaps it won't take too long for the Mighty Roo to adjust to our team's system.

BlackSilver
02-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Thank you for the reminder. Done.

Sean Cagney
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry you don't understand Pop. "For years" he's been playing him and won't stop anytime soon so stop bitching about it. I trust pop, just look at where he's gotten us to this point.

I said he's a good defender for WHAT HE IS. Bonner isn't the reason why we've lost in the playoffs recently, so don't be so obsessed with him leaving/not playing. If you don't think he's a solid player for what we need him for then you have some learning to do. I can teach you if you want to respond ignorantly again.

Good defender for what he is? A unathletic guy who can get blown by easily by longer 3's and 4's, seen it too many times. I do not want him out there in regular rotation again for the playoffs, sorry he is a proven choker and thats a fact when it comes to the playoffs and I am not a fan. He gets alot less minutes this year, so obviously POP is getting it now right? You said it won't stop but obviously POP has now awaken and seen it's true and he plays alot less.

He is not he reason we lost, but if someone better had his mins like they are this year then perhaps we go further than having someone out there who is solely out there to hit threes and he is not hitting? If he is not hitting what is he doing? He is not a post player or rebounder! What is his role then? He is not a solid player and what we need him to DO is hit shots when it counts, he doesn't do that so stop your telling me I should learn when I learned years ago he is what he is.

Career playoffs 3.2 ppg, 2.2 rbpg, 37% FG and 32% 3PT, thats all I need to know thank you so I don't need to learn you do. Go ahead and talk aobut how he does this or that when thats all I look is this here and see the whole.

Skoobz
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Hey Bro, can you PM me and let me know where you download the game from?

bigfan
02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
The future Spurs "Ivory Towers": Baynes and Splitter :)

ChumpDumper
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
No. Baynes isn't better than the bigs the Spurs already have.Neither was Pops.

dbestpro
02-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Do not over estimate the d-league. They may run some Spurs stuff but the break down to one on one stuff after a pass or two.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Neither was Pops.

:lol Yes, he was. Pop ran sets with Michael Finley at power forward.

Cane
02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA6Ue9qLwzs

AussieFanKurt
02-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Will get no time this year but next season providing he stays around he will get good time

ChumpDumper
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
:lol Yes, he was. Pop ran sets with Michael Finley at power forward.Well, Finley was an NBA player. Pops, not so much.

Obstructed_View
02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Well, Finley was an NBA player. Pops, not so much.

Yet still not a big.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Yet still not a big.Pops wasn't an NBA big either.

Interrohater
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW_7dMxEm9Y

jag
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Been a while since I've seen a good old fashioned debate about Pops Mensah-Jabbar. All we need now is for someone to bump a Scola thread and a Mahinmi thread.

Obstructed_View
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Pops wasn't an NBA big either.

Yet he was still better than Matt Bonner and Michael Finley. Go figure.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Yet he was still better than Matt Bonner and Michael Finley. Go figure.Except he wasn't. Go figure. I was all for getting someone else, but Pops just wasn't as good as people trying to pimp his legend think.