PDA

View Full Version : I'm ditching cable.

MannyIsGod
02-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Mainly because I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Digital-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361519385&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+home+run

I got one back around black Friday for 50ish bucks from Newegg an its been pretty amazing. I've been able to record local channels in HD on my computer and then stream those shows via the network to TVs throughout my place. Between that an online streaming, I just don't see a point anymore to pay 100+ bucks a month for channels I don't even watch.

Reck
02-22-2013, 04:29 AM
I'm contemplating dumping cable myself. Just having a tough time with the idea of not turning on the tv and watching CNN start up. I may just downgrade my services to the bare minimum.

Tough

Wild Cobra
02-22-2013, 05:08 AM
I dumped cable long ago, and have an antenna to my flatscreen.

No regrets!

CuckingFunt
02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I got rid of cable when I moved to a new apartment in May. Just seemed an easy corner to cut financially. I miss it terribly, but realize that I didn't need to be paying for it all those years.

Reck
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I got rid of cable when I moved to a new apartment in May. Just seemed an easy corner to cut financially. I miss it terribly, but realize that I didn't need to be paying for it all those years.

Hulu and Netflix help the cable withdrawals.

If I decide to drop it this is how I'd do. Figuring out how to watch live sporting events though. That I cannot live without.

lefty
02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I would cut cable easily if it wasnt for HD sports on a big screen

Yeah I know, Sopcast + Wiziwig links allow to watch real HD streams, but I prefer a real big TV tbh

I dont want to hook up my lappy to my TV

Venti Quattro
02-22-2013, 06:17 PM

Yeah I know, Sopcast + Wiziwig links allow to watch real HD streams, but I prefer a real big TV tbh

You have HDTV and cable in Algeria?

Brunodf
02-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Buy a Smart TV

MannyIsGod
02-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Hulu and Netflix help the cable withdrawals.

If I decide to drop it this is how I'd do. Figuring out how to watch live sporting events though. That I cannot live without.

The live sports is what made the decision hard for me. But honestly, all I watch are UNM games and Spurs games. And honestly, I'll just stream them online. Some UNM games are available on local TV but those are just home games and I'm usually at those. I'd rather pay for NBA league pass online than pay for cable that I never use since the LP moves with me wherever I go.

We do watch a lot of shows and movies on Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming. We watch a 3 to 4 hours of network TV a week which is what that tuner allows me to DVR also. Can't live without Parks and Rec.

lefty
02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
You have HDTV and cable in Algeria?
I even have running water

MannyIsGod
02-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Moving is what precipitated the change although we've been contemplating it for some time now. When Comcast wanted to charge me 50 bucks to move my service I told them to go fuck themselves. Then we signed up for their internet with Jess' name to get a discount. LOL. Bill dropped from 150 to 30 bucks a month. It will be 50 after the first 6 months but still much cheaper. I felt it was time to make the change.

symple19
02-23-2013, 04:25 AM
project free tv

symple19
02-23-2013, 04:26 AM
:lol paying for stuff

lefty
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
So

Has anyone else ditched cable?

Venti Quattro
03-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Lol this is such a hipster thread.

:cry Everyone's got cable, I don't want it anymore! :cry

lefty
03-05-2013, 01:52 AM

Or there are other reasons :lol

DarrinS
03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
30 dollar antenna would pick up your local HD channels.

Drachen
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
So

I ditched cable twice for a year each over the past 5. I would still have no cable, but a buddy of mine installs direcTV and gets two free boxes but needs only one, so he installed the other at my house. It is not hard at all to adjust with netflix. I just found other shows to watch. You discover shows that you probably wouldn't have watched otherwise. The only thing is basketball. That sucks.

Drachen
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM

it is 100% about money and 0% about being cool.

Drachen
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM

I didn't even need this, I just plugged my TV's coax input into the cable jack in the wall and it effectively used the wiring in my house as an antenna I guess because everything came through crystal clear.

DarrinS
03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I didn't even need this, I just plugged my TV's coax input into the cable jack in the wall and it effectively used the wiring in my house as an antenna I guess because everything came through crystal clear.

cool

Wild Cobra
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
I paid $9.99 for mine at Radio Shack.

DarrinS
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I just wish Time Warner used clear QAM instead of Swtiched DV. That way, I could use my HTPC for my DVR and channel surfing. Instead, I'm stuck with their set top box and shit DVR.

MannyIsGod
03-05-2013, 04:54 PM

I didn't need an antenna either. I still have comcast internet and they deliver all the local channels via QAM that any HD receiver can pick up through the cable.

Darius McCrary
03-05-2013, 07:26 PM
What kind of channels does this baby pick up

lefty
03-20-2013, 11:26 PM
http://live.wsj.com/video/more-people-are-cutting-the-cable-cord/CAC8362D-534B-40CB-AC29-8379604EF9FB.html#!CAC8362D-534B-40CB-AC29-8379604EF9FB

Heath Ledger
03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Im telling you all you need is one of those android tv boxes or xmbc running on a decent pc and you will have everything you need. Every movie and tv show at your finger tips and many live streams of cable channels, ppv fights etc. Absolutely fn' awesome stuff.

TeyshaBlue
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
I killed cable about 2 months ago. About the only thing I really miss are the TNT and Fox Sports SW Mavericks broadcasts. So, I just go to a local bar for game time. Win/Win.:lol

Other than that, I've got a smart blueray player and network boxes on each TV (Cheapo RCA brand from walmart...picked 'em up for $25 ea). Still get local on an antenna (cool, folding flat panel that hides on the back of my tv). So, all in all, I miss cable very, very little.

Blake
03-28-2013, 11:39 AM
If it weren't for sports, I'd drop cable fast.

DarrinS
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

same here

leemajors
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I killed cable about 2 months ago. About the only thing I really miss are the TNT and Fox Sports SW Mavericks broadcasts. So, I just go to a local bar for game time. Win/Win.:lol

Other than that, I've got a smart blueray player and network boxes on each TV (Cheapo RCA brand from walmart...picked 'em up for $25 ea). Still get local on an antenna (cool, folding flat panel that hides on the back of my tv). So, all in all, I miss cable very, very little.

https://account.nba.com/leaguepass/broadband

Drachen
03-28-2013, 01:08 PM

how much is it at the beginning of the season though?

lefty
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Havent ditched cable completely, but I just switched to basic cable

Saving 60$ a month lol

But since I live downtown, I'm sure I can get those channels OTA in HD with a Terk antenna

leemajors
03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
how much is it at the beginning of the season though?

I'd imagine it's probably the same as the TV one, unfortunately.

snickles
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
So

I got rid of cable tv at the end of last season's playoffs. i realized i would just turn it on and watch whatever, usually a movie on FX that i already had on dvd and seeing it for the 3rd time that week.

got a HD antenna for $50 and an amplifier (? i think thats what it was called) because a few channels were hit or miss without it. i picked up the 4 main channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and 9 or 10 other channels. And the HD channels....the picture absolutely blew away the quality of cable HD broadcasts.

i tried the free trials of hulu and netflix streaming, settled on netflix, saved $40 a month, and was generally a lot less worthless.

about 3 weeks ago, between me wanting an NBA fix, and my girlfriend moving in soon and having to have HBO, i got it reconnected. so i'm kind of worthless again, but i get all my games, and my gf is gonna pay for the cable when she moves in, so i guess its all good.

TeyshaBlue
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM

$30 = $50 and no beer? I'll keep on watching at my local bar.:p:

I dropped cable because I was tired of paying for that shit. Not sure why I would pay for just basketball when I can still get that for free and a beer.

Drachen
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
$30 = $50 and no beer? I'll keep on watching at my local bar.:p:

I dropped cable because I was tired of paying for that shit. Not sure why I would pay for just basketball when I can still get that for free and a beer.

because you pay more for beer at a bar than you would watching it at home and buying beer.

ElNono
03-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I just wish Time Warner used clear QAM instead of Swtiched DV. That way, I could use my HTPC for my DVR and channel surfing. Instead, I'm stuck with their set top box and shit DVR.

These cards claim to support SDV...

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

That includes 4 tuners...

Just get a CableCard from your cable company and you should be good to go.

MannyIsGod
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
I miss sports but I just stream the NBA. I have the MLS streaming subscription so I get all of those (and I can watch replays). Yeah I don't miss it at all. Ever downloading shows like the Walking Dead legit from Amazon is cheap and I still get HD.

lefty
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
lol subscribing for sports streams :lol

I stream sports for free, fuck that shit

Reck
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
lol subscribing for sports streams :lol

I stream sports for free, fuck that shit

Sometimes you get red flagged for streaming illegal shit online. lol

Happened to me once.

ElNono
03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
These cards claim to support SDV...

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

That includes 4 tuners...

Just get a CableCard from your cable company and you should be good to go.

Actually, reading the cliffnotes:

A Tuning Adapter from your cable operator might be required if your cable TV provider uses Switched Digital Video technology. Please check with your cable operator.

So apparently you might be able to get one of those from your cable provider and use any cablecard tuner card.

Also found a link from Time Warner cable on those adapters:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/tv/switched-digital-video.html

DarrinS
03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info ElNono. I'll look into it.

lefty
03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Sometimes you get red flagged for streaming illegal shit online. lol

Happened to me once.
whut

Reck
03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
whut

Back when I still use AOL.

lefty
03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Back when I still use AOL.

That makes sense

Heath Ledger
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
If you have a laptop with hdmi, install XBMC and the following plugins and you are set. All tv shows, movies, sporting events (or close enough)
1. Navi-X
2. Ice Films
3. 1 Channel
4. Mash Up
5. Movie2k
6. Project free tv
7. SportsDEvil
8. Video Devil
but there are literally thousands of other channels and plugins/conten libraries you can add. If you don't have a laptop with this stuff spend $100 (shipped) on a Minix Neo X5 (http://www.geekbuying.com) and either buy a good airmouse or a good wireless keyboard and mouse and you are Golden.

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
If you have a laptop with hdmi, install XBMC and the following plugins and you are set. All tv shows, movies, sporting events (or close enough)
1. Navi-X
2. Ice Films
3. 1 Channel
4. Mash Up
5. Movie2k
6. Project free tv
7. SportsDEvil
8. Video Devil
but there are literally thousands of other channels and plugins/conten libraries you can add. If you don't have a laptop with this stuff spend $100 (shipped) on a Minix Neo X5 (http://www.geekbuying.com) and either buy a good airmouse or a good wireless keyboard and mouse and you are Golden.

whats xbmc? i got a few lappys layin arond

Heath Ledger
04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.xbmchub.com
http://www.xbmcandroid.com

Cane
04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I am intrigued by these options

Especially since the goddam cable keeps glitching out like its turning into Agent Smith from the Matrix. Pretty annoying to miss the game changing momentum plays in the NBA because of cable signal lag or whatever the hell causes it

lefty
04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
1. Navi-X
2. Ice Films
3. 1 Channel
4. Mash Up
5. Movie2k
6. Project free tv
7. SportsDEvil
8. Video Devil
Yeah I had read about XBMC somewhere and installed it

I was like WTF this is a glorified media player with a few shitty channels and links

Thanks for the list, I will check out those plugins

Heath Ledger
04-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah I had read about XBMC somewhere and installed it

I was like WTF this is a glorified media player with a few shitty channels and links

Thanks for the list, I will check out those plugins

I agree a couple years ago I installed it and didn't get much out of it but it has come a lonnnnngggg way in development. Sports Streams are plentiful but you have to be patient sometimes finding a working link.

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2013, 05:07 PM
can xbmc be installed on a ps3?

im thinkn of doing a ps3 hdd conversion...4tb?

Heath Ledger
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I dont think so

DarrinS
04-09-2013, 07:49 PM
can xbmc be installed on a ps3?

im thinkn of doing a ps3 hdd conversion...4tb?

See my "Android on a stick" thread. Xbmc can run on one of those.

DarrinS
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
1. Navi-X
2. Ice Films
3. 1 Channel
4. Mash Up
5. Movie2k
6. Project free tv
7. SportsDEvil
8. Video Devil

I built my own HTPC, but I wish I had waited. These low cost android devices are pretty intriguing.

Heath Ledger
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
They are good but if you have an old pc laying around its better to use it i think. The android boxes and sticks are buggy (i have both) crashes are inevitable for the most part Ive been happy with my Minix, if you get one get Minix because it has a pretty large community of people developing it including the manufacturer back in China with some of the lesser known brands you are on your own.

TeyshaBlue
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
See my "Android on a stick" thread. Xbmc can run on one of those.

I'm running Xbmc on my Android phone. lol

Nathan Explosion
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I have a media streaming device in every room. I have a 360 in my room, my kids have Wiis and my backroom has a media streamer. All of them do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. For shows not found on any of these, I know of a site. For my sports, I know of a site. I haven't had cable in almost a year. My friend moved to AZ and I just let it go. In fact, I'm going to watch the Spurs game on my computer in my room. A 19" monitor isn't bad for a bedroom. And while the stream isn't HD, and I do like watching sports in HD, I can't really be choosy because I'm watching any sporting event for $25 (the cost of my internet with 30 mb download, thank you Grande). Add in the $16 I pay between Netflix and Hulu and I'm getting all my entertainment needs me for more than $100 less than what I was paying for cable.

The only thing I miss is recording sporting events, and with basketball, there's so many games on that it's not that big of a deal. And since the Cowboys suck, I don't want to watch half of their games anyway because they lose half of them.

Nathan Explosion
04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Not to mention, I can always get the ESPN broadcast on my 360. And tonight's game is on KENS, so HD it is for me. Yeah.

lefty
04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a media streaming device in every room. I have a 360 in my room, my kids have Wiis and my backroom has a media streamer. All of them do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. For shows not found on any of these, I know of a site. For my sports, I know of a site. I haven't had cable in almost a year. My friend moved to AZ and I just let it go. In fact, I'm going to watch the Spurs game on my computer in my room. A 19" monitor isn't bad for a bedroom. And while the stream isn't HD, and I do like watching sports in HD, I can't really be choosy because I'm watching any sporting event for $25 (the cost of my internet with 30 mb download, thank you Grande). Add in the $16 I pay between Netflix and Hulu and I'm getting all my entertainment needs me for more than $100 less than what I was paying for cable.

The only thing I miss is recording sporting events, and with basketball, there's so many games on that it's not that big of a deal. And since the Cowboys suck, I don't want to watch half of their games anyway because they lose half of them.
Rojadirecta forums have a recent matches download section : soccer, NBA, NHL, NFL

lefty
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Aereo wins major court battle against TV networksA remarkably tech-savvy decision
By T.C. Sottek (http://www.theverge.com/users/tcsottek) on April 1, 2013 11:09 am Email ([email protected]) @LaughingStoic (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=LaughingStoic)
117COMMENTS
DON'T MISS ANY STORIES FOLLOW THE VERGE

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/7958165/DSC_6265_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare

The United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals just rejected an appeal from TV networks against web-television company Aereo by a 2-1 vote, concluding that Aereo's system does not infringe the broadcaster's copyrights. Broadcasters argued that unlike Cablevision, Aereo lacked the proper license to operate — but the court ruled that the license doesn't matter since Aereo customers are streaming their own unique copies to themselves. The remarkably tech-savvy decision for Aereo today clears major legal difficulties for the web-television broadcaster, and will force TV networks to win an appeal either in front of the full Second Circuit or Supreme Court if they want to shut the streaming service down. "The Second Circuit stomped the broadcasters pretty hard," said The Verge's Nilay Patel, a former copyright attorney.
"THE SECOND CIRCUIT STOMPED THE BROADCASTERS PRETTY HARD."

It is beyond dispute that the transmission of a broadcast TV program received by an individual’s rooftop antenna to the TV in his living room is private, because only that individual can receive the transmission from that antenna, ensuring that the potential audience of that transmission is only one person. Plaintiffs have presented no reason why the result should be any different when that rooftop antenna is rented from Aereo and its signals transmitted over the internet: it remains the case that only one person can receive that antenna’s transmissions.
Judge Christopher Droney, Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Aereo allows TV watchers to stream HD video over the web with a proprietary remote antenna and DVR service. For $12 a month, customers can watch more than 20 local broadcast networks, including CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, and the CW. The company employs a fleet of miniature antennas that pull broadcast signals from the air, like the classic "rabbit ears" that capture local TV signals, and each customer receives their own antenna; from the start, Aereo contended that it was actually providing a use license for the antenna and the cloud DVR, and not the content itself. Upholding a long tradition of fighting innovation (http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3628402/aereo-streaming-live-tv-broadcasters), the broadcast television industry immediately attacked Aereo in court, with a spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters saying that "they're charging a fee for content they do not own."
"WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT WE WILL PREVAIL."
Open internet advocate Public Knowledge quickly hailed today's court decision. "Only in the world of copyright maximalists do people need to get special permission to watch over-the-air television with an antenna," said Senior Staff Attorney John Bergmayer. "Just because 'the internet' is involved doesn't change this." But CBS, a plaintiff in one of the groups suing Aereo, appears undeterred by the decision. "As the courts continue to consider this case and others like it, we are confident that the rights of content owners will be recognized and that we will prevail," a CBS spokesperson told The Verge.
The National Association of Broadcasters, part of another major group suing Aereo, expressed similar confidence; in a statement released today, the NAB said "today's decision is a loss for the entire creative community. The court has ruled that it is ok to steal copyrighted material and retransmit it without compensation." The NAB says that "we have and are considering our options to protect our programming," and "we remain confident that we will ultimately prevail." An NAB spokesperson tells The Verge that "NAB is disappointed with the Second Circuit's 2-1 decision allowing Aereo to continue its illegal operations while broadcasters' copyright actions are heard."
"THE PROMISE AND COMMITMENT TO PROGRAM IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST IN EXCHANGE FOR THE PUBLIC'S SPECTRUM REMAINS AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR AMERICAN FABRIC."
Aereo naturally welcomed the victory; "Today's ruling sends a powerful message that consumer access to free-to-air broadcast television is still meaningful in this country and that the promise and commitment made by the broadcasters to program in the public interest in exchange for the public's spectrum remains an important part of our American fabric," said Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia. "We may be a small start-up, but we've always believed in standing up and fighting for our consumers."
Aereo's legal difficulties are said to have stunted its growth in markets across the US, and has reportedly caused potential partners, like DirecTV, to shy away from cooperation (http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/31/4168416/aereo-talks-pay-tv-distributors-isps). For now, today's court decision alleviates Aereo's biggest albatross, allowing it to focus on expansion.
Nilay Patel and Greg Sandoval contributed to this report.

ElNono
04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Me, I just upped to a Hopper with Sling + Joey... liking it very much, tbh

lefty
04-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Project Free TV is the shit :tu

MannyIsGod
04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
That Aero decision is awesome. I was made aware of that court case just this past week and thought it was pretty interesting. I really am just anxious for ala carte TV to begin. I want maybe 7 channels at most. I know I had heard rumblings of HBO offering their programming to internet subscribers soon.

leemajors
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
That Aero decision is awesome. I was made aware of that court case just this past week and thought it was pretty interesting. I really am just anxious for ala carte TV to begin. I want maybe 7 channels at most. I know I had heard rumblings of HBO offering their programming to internet subscribers soon.

The decision to have video out on HBO Go apps was just the beginning, hopefully. I know they want on the AppleTV as an app as well.

Drachen
04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
UGH! my buddy hurt his back a few months ago (he is fine now), and his FMLA is up, but has decided to finish school full time since he is engaged to a vet who makes bank. He is the one from whom I get my free direcTV. Since he quit, he had to come get his box the day before yesterday. 2 games before the playoffs I lose my cable. Damn, now I have to figure out an alternate route to watch games. First world problems, I know.

Drachen
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I wish I could just buy FSSW a la carte.

Spur|n|Austin
04-18-2013, 01:20 PM

same here

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm sure I can get by with downloading the movies and TV shows I wanna see, then find a way to stream the sporting events, but that almost seems like too much of a hassle.

What I can, and have done though, is call up and threaten to cancel; they in turn give me better rates!

Drachen
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm sure I can get by with downloading the movies and TV shows I wanna see, then find a way to stream the sporting events, but that almost seems like too much of a hassle.

What I can, and have done though, is call up and threaten to cancel; they in turn give me better rates!

Really, to me, the best idea is to buy a sling box for a friends who I know will watch every spurs game, and gift it to him under the agreement that he always slings games to me. Then again, I am not totally sure how a slingbox works (I have never seriously looked into them, but understand the basic concept) so I don't know for sure if this would fly.

Thread
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM

It's nerve wracking doing that. So afraid they're just going to turn me down and I'll be embarrassed. I've pulled it twice in 2 years (and it's worked both times) and it's like when the date approaches I get so nervous like when the cars are due for smog inspections. Christ.

Spur|n|Austin
04-18-2013, 05:30 PM
It's nerve wracking doing that. So afraid they're just going to turn me down and I'll be embarrassed. I've pulled it twice in 2 years (and it's worked both times) and it's like when the date approaches I get so nervous like when the cars are due for smog inspections. Christ.

Yeah, I've found the main thing is to be firm when they try to counter your reason for leaving and demand to cancel. If they do say ok and begin the process, just hang up :lol I doubt they'll be calling back to finish the process.

AaronY
04-19-2013, 06:13 AM
I am intrigued by these options

Especially since the goddam cable keeps glitching out like its turning into Agent Smith from the Matrix. Pretty annoying to miss the game changing momentum plays in the NBA because of cable signal lag or whatever the hell causes it:lol

MannyIsGod
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Really, to me, the best idea is to buy a sling box for a friends who I know will watch every spurs game, and gift it to him under the agreement that he always slings games to me. Then again, I am not totally sure how a slingbox works (I have never seriously looked into them, but understand the basic concept) so I don't know for sure if this would fly.

I wanted to do this but then my mom asked me to show her how to tether so she could drop her internet. :lol

Drachen
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I wanted to do this but then my mom asked me to show her how to tether so she could drop her internet. :lol

LOL! awesome.

Winehole23
06-25-2014, 11:00 AM
That Aereo decision is awesome. I was made aware of that court case just this past week and thought it was pretty interesting. I really am just anxious for ala carte TV to begin. I want maybe 7 channels at most. I know I had heard rumblings of HBO offering their programming to internet subscribers soon.SCOTUS rules against Aereo 6-3:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/06/how-scotus-tried-to-limit-its-own-aereo-decision/373367/

MannyIsGod
06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Well that sucks.

lefty
06-25-2014, 12:22 PM
that sucks

Big Empty
09-12-2017, 03:29 PM
So if I just want high speed internet to stream Netflix, whats the cheapest way to go? Does anyone use hd antennas? Are you able to catch the NFL games? Im tired of paying 140.00 a month. I just want to be able to see the NFL games and NBA games for cheap and ill be happy.

jeebus
09-12-2017, 05:05 PM
You don't need an HD antenna. Any $10 antenna will pick up the local stations in HD.

TimDunkem
09-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Meh. Depends on your location and nearby interferences. Only a large antenna on my roof can pick up any more than 3 of the local channels around here.

baseline bum
09-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Meh. Depends on your location and nearby interferences. Only a large antenna on my roof can pick up any more than 3 of the local channels around here.

What side of town are you on? I think most of the networks broadcast from the southeast side.

TimDunkem
09-13-2017, 07:20 PM
What side of town are you on? I think most of the networks broadcast from the southeast side.
Kind of sandwiched between the North/Northwest side near Prue and Babcock. All I can pick up around here is CW, a poor Kens signal, and a few of the Spanish stations. :lol

DJR210
09-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Kind of sandwiched between the North/Northwest side near Prue and Babcock. All I can pick up around here is CW, a poor Kens signal, and a few of the Spanish stations. :lol

Im not far from you and using a 15 dollar antenna.. I get like 20 something channels..

leemajors
09-14-2017, 12:01 PM

https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/78264-san-antonio-tx

Pavlov
09-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Yeah, so many variables. My $30 outdoor antenna can pick up Waxahachie stations better than some local ones.

Chris
10-29-2017, 05:33 PM
PSVue $45 a month and I get all cable stations I had with Spectrum plus a ton of sports channels. Got the PS3 hooked up in the living room and the PS4 in my bedroom. Can run both at once on the same account. Highly recommend :tu

baseline bum
10-29-2017, 06:13 PM
PSVue $45 a month and I get all cable stations I had with Spectrum plus a ton of sports channels. Got the PS3 hooked up in the living room and the PS4 in my bedroom. Can run both at once on the same account. Highly recommend :tu

You never have any problems during busy periods, like say Saturday nights? Netflix can get really bad.

Also do you get local channels?

Chris
10-29-2017, 06:21 PM
You never have any problems during busy periods, like say Saturday nights? Netflix can get really bad.

Also do you get local channels?

I'm getting Austin's local stations because I live in Fredericksburg. If you're in San Antonio you will get KENS KSAT FOX etc..

No buffering problems at all so far..

Chris
10-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Only thing that sucks is PSN goes down for maintenance from time to time. I'm wondering if it will still be available during those periods.

baseline bum
10-29-2017, 06:37 PM
I'm getting Austin's local stations because I live in Fredericksburg. If you're in San Antonio you will get KENS KSAT FOX etc..

No buffering problems at all so far..

So you get Fox Sports for Spurs games though?

Chris
10-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah it comes with local sports FS1 FS2 and NBATv and all the ESPN except deportes and classic which is $10 more with the movie channels.

Xevious
10-29-2017, 08:02 PM
You can also install the PSVue app on firesticks and stuff IIRC if you don't want to use a PS, or want it in an extra room.

Chris
10-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Also like I can watch stuff on demand or that came on earlier in the day. Fast forward and rewind - this is all new technology to me :lol

baseline bum
10-29-2017, 08:22 PM
You can also install the PSVue app on firesticks and stuff IIRC if you don't want to use a PS, or want it in an extra room.

Are you in the San Antonio area? If so, do you get the local Fox Sports? I can't tell if the San Antonio area gets it from their webpage or if we only get the national FS1 and FS2 channels, and customer support was pretty clueless when I asked them.

IronMexican
10-29-2017, 08:26 PM
I had tried the PSVue trial ad took about half a year to cancel it:lol

It's not even that I canceled it, but that I got a new debit card.

It's cool, but I always have problems with Psn disconnecting on it sown, and me having to test network connection to reconnect.

If it weren't for the convenience of having it on the Playstation, I am sure I would have had more urgency to get rid of it. I want to try some of the other options. All I need is Viceland and sports games.

Chris
10-29-2017, 08:26 PM
It's free for 5 days If you want the test it. Just cancel before the last day to avoid a charge to your PSN wallet.

Xevious
10-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Are you in the San Antonio area? If so, do you get the local Fox Sports? I can't tell if the San Antonio area gets it from their webpage or if we only get the national FS1 and FS2 channels, and customer support was pretty clueless when I asked them.
No idea. I don't have it. :lol

baseline bum
10-29-2017, 09:40 PM

Did Spectrum jack up your internet rates when you cancelled TV?

Chris
10-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Did Spectrum jack up your internet rates when you cancelled TV?

Nah I got it down to $35 per month