PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld - Tony on the Outs???

Gino2882
07-04-2005, 04:04 PM
The main article on Hoopsworld.com is about San Antonio and Tony Parker. Could someone post that article for discussion?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 04:05 PM
feh

Spurodamus
07-04-2005, 04:10 PM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

"Hoopsworld" makes the NEW YORK POST seem like The New York Times.

timvp
07-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Hoopsworld is a joke.

Here's an exercise:

Pick seven random English words and put them next to each other. Put a period at the end. That sentence you just formed has more substance and is more reliable than the whole Hoopsworld site.

1Parker1
07-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Has Tony Parker, the weak spot in the Spurs' rotation, won his last championship ring? It appears the Spurs are interested in pursuing other options at the point. Read all about it in this special offseason edition of . . .The Texas Triangle.

:rolleyes.

spurschick
07-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Hoopsworld is a joke.

Here's an exercise:

Pick seven random English words and put them next to each other. Put a period at the end. That sentence you just formed has more substance and is more reliable than the whole Hoopsworld site.

Personal battery control wallet accept the notebook.

Egg
07-04-2005, 04:51 PM
well i would certainly like to read the article.. even if its shit.. can somebody post it?

1Parker1
07-04-2005, 04:53 PM
They have another article on the frontpage entitled:

"Trailblazers: Champions in '08.....Count on it" :lmao :lmao :lmao

timvp
07-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Personal battery control wallet accept the notebook.

Sounds like your laptop needs a new battery. Be sure to take you wallet to the store.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I guess you guys are going to have to pay for their content if you want to read it. I don't think anyone here has a subscription.

mookie2001
07-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm a contributer at
www.chodesonsports.com/enajera/is/agoodplayer

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't think there is any way that Parker gets moved. They did all they could this past offseason to resign him. If they were not sure he would be the PG of the future, they would have let him walk this year.

smeagol
07-04-2005, 06:47 PM
The Spurs could threepeat and there would still be rumours about TP being moved.

Go figure . . .

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I guess there is just nothing else to talk about.

Gino2882
07-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Well even if they are crap the article still could have some points...Someone gonna post it?

Rummpd
07-05-2005, 06:16 AM
This guy is an excellent writer - I have met him and he is a fan of Spurs basketball and their style of play (although his primary team is the Rockets).

Bill predicted the Spurs to win way back this year and stuck with it. Also, has credible sources in my opinion (by the way pick up a copy of his mag - Swish!) HINT = IT IS FREE - see web link below to order.

Bill is not one to speculate without good reason and this story might well have "legs".

See story below:

"The San Antonio Spurs are sitting pretty. Coming off of their second NBA championship in the Tim Duncan era, the Spurs have put the pieces in place that would seem to make them the odds-on favorites to win the Western Conference and the NBA title for years to come. Tim Duncan is certainly not going anywhere. He's signed through the 2007 season with a player option for 2008. The news is that the team has already lined up the man who will help extend Duncan's career. Manu Ginobili, who is quickly becoming the international equivalent of Michael Jordan (at least in terms of marketing), inked a fresh deal last summer that will keep him in black and white through the 2010 season. With those two in place, the Spurs have the foundation for many championships.

Some would say that Tony Parker's contract, which goes until 2011, gives the Spurs three solid rocks upon which to build a dynasty. Up until the Finals I would have been one of those people. Parker fell apart in the playoffs last season, but every player has a bad series. it's up to his teammates to pick him up and keep the team moving forward. The blame for the failure of the Spurs in the Lakers series of '04 cannot rest on Parker's shoulders alone. What is of concern, however, is the fact that Parker fell apart again this season - waiting until the late games of the Finals series to do it. His failure to show meant that guys like Robert Horry and Manu Ginobili had to make up for his lack of participation. It also showed the Spurs that perhaps they should consider going in a different direction at point guard.

The NBA Draft is a great place to meet people and talk about the game from the markets that don't usually get together to chat over a beer. We pass them in the locker room as we try to get to whichever player is giving an interview, but we don't spend a lot of time just chatting about the game. While there, we learned that Terry Stotts would be the next head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks, for instance. Milwaukee has been pursuing Flip Saunders, but the word from every team Saunders has spoken to is that he's not really serious about coaching this season. If Saunders opts to take a year off Stotts will be the man in Milwaukee. Lots of other tidbits came and went, some interesting, some purely speculation, and some just guys talking. Then one conversation suddenly turned to the San Antonio Spurs. My ears perked up.

An agent who is affiliated with one of the top point guards in the draft, under the condition that he remain nameless, hinted very strongly that the Spurs were very close to pulling a huge deal that would have shocked everyone. I asked if it involved Duncan or Manu and he said it did not - and that he couldn't say anything else about it. Clearly there is only one other person the Spurs could trade that would have shocked anyone - and the fact that this person is associated with a prominent college point guard only strengthens the feeling that Tony Parker was the one on the block. So I ask the question: Has Tony Parker won his last ring?

Forgetting for a moment the embarrassment of watching Parker get outplayed by the aging Derrick Fisher in 2004, let's look at what Tony did in the playoffs this year. The first round saw Tony step up in games four and five. After looking like that miserable Parker of the '04 playoffs through the first three games (collectively 16-46 from the field for 34%), Parker finally arrived in 2005 with back-to-back outstanding games. In Game Four he scored 29 points, dished seven assists, and committed only two turnovers. He even hit 6-of-7 from the foul line. In Game Five his free throws went south (2-7), but he still dropped in 21 points to go with seven assists. He shot 20-of-36 in the last two games of the Denver series, good for 56%.

Parker started the second round the way he finished the first, making us thing that perhaps he had shrugged off his playoff doldrums. He scored 29 points in Game One against Seattle and 22 and 18 in the next two games. He committed just six turnovers over that span and dished out 18 assists. Unfortunately, when it came time to put the Sonics away Tony ran away and hid. He scored just 12.3 points per game over the last three contests of the series, he shot 38% from the field, and he was much less aggressive, as demonstrated by his nine trips to the line over those last three games. It didn't bode well for a player who was about to match up with the league's MVP.

When the Western Conference Finals started and Steve Nash welcomed Tony Parker to Phoenix, the young man from France showed no fear at all in the face of his daunting defensive assignment. Nash pretty much had his way with Tony, but the Spurs point guard gave as good as he got. Parker matched Nash point for point - they each had 29 - and helped the San Antonio defense force Nash into six turnovers while drawing five fouls. He then scored 24 points on 12-of-20 from the field as the Spurs swept the Suns in their series-opening homestand. Tony was brilliant, shooting 60% from the field and helping the Spurs shock the world at how fluidly and easily they could score the ball. As before, however, the more important the games became, the worse Tony played. As the series played out his shooting dropped off (35% on 16 points per over games 3, 4, and 5) and he turned the ball over at a pace of four per game while he averaged just 4.6 assists. He didn't earn a single trip to foul line in the deciding Game Five.

The NBA Finals was a completely different story. No strong start, no heroic moments, and only one decent offensive performance in a game that was a washout for the Spurs. Granted, playing against Chauncey Billups is much different from playing against Steve Nash, Andre Miller, or Luke Ridnour. Billups is arguably the best defensive point guard in the league, and when he is determined to get to the hole there aren't many people who can impede his progress. Faced with the kind of intensity that an NBA Finals MVP brings, Parker all but disappeared for seven games. The Pistons lagged off of Parker, using Billups to help double team Duncan in the post, and dared him to shoot. They didn't let him get into the paint, and after the first game he didn't really even try to force the issue. His three-point game is still in progress (we hope) and his free throw shooting reached new lows in the Finals, making Parker a virtual non-entity throughout the series. In Game Seven we began hoping he would get in foul trouble so he could stop turning the ball over. When the Spurs needed to stop Billups one last time in the waning moments, it was Bruce Bowen, not Parker who got the call. Tony averaged 13.9 points, 3.4 assists, and 3.14 turnovers per game in the Finals, while shooting 46% from the field, 14% from three, and 44% from the foul line.

Tony Parker is simply not a clutch performer. He has his nights, and has shown Spurs fans some moments of brilliance. He had some excellent games early in series throughout the playoffs, but when you talk about the kind of player who you want to be quarterbacking your team in the NBA Finals, Parker is simply not a guy who comes to mind. Gregg Popovich is mindful of this. He knows what he has and where his weaknesses are. He also knows that the more the Spurs have to call on Tim Duncan to make up for the lack of effort from someone else, the shorter Duncan's career is going to be. Clearly the Spurs would jump at the chance to bring in a better defender, a better shooter, and a tougher guard at the point. It appears they made an attempt to do so on draft night. We can only assume that they will continue to pursue other options as free agency sets in.

The San Antonio Spurs are going to win several more championships before Duncan and Ginobili take seats in the Hall of Fame. The question remains, however: has Tony Parker won his last ring?

Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram is Executive Editor for NEWS@ HOOPSWORLD.COM and Swish Magazine and covers the Rockets, Mavs, and Spurs for Basketball News Services.

For a FREE subscription to Swish Magazine, visit: http://www.SwishMagazine.com/subscribe/

Coming soon to Swish: A FREE life-sized Allen Iverson poster, courtesy of Reebok!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onlineseats.com
your #1 source for
NBA Hoop Tickets
Heat Tickets
Suns Tickets
Bulls Tickets
Cleveland Cavs Tickets
all 30 NBA Teams.
powered by Onlineseats.com

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 06:27 AM
eck

DesiSpur_21
07-05-2005, 06:31 AM
An agent who is affiliated with one of the top point guards in the draft, under the condition that he remain nameless, hinted very strongly that the Spurs were very close to pulling a huge deal that would have shocked everyone. I asked if it involved Duncan or Manu and he said it did not - and that he couldn't say anything else about it. Clearly there is only one other person the Spurs could trade that would have shocked anyone - and the fact that this person is associated with a prominent college point guard only strengthens the feeling that Tony Parker was the one on the block. So I ask the question: Has Tony Parker won his last ring?

This is as stupid as it gets - If he remotely knows anything about NBA, he wouldn;t have asked "I asked if it involved Duncan or Manu and he said it did not" - such a piece of sh!t.

Rummpd
07-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Bill wrote what he could on this story. Read it and see he did not say Parker was to be traded only that it was a potentiality (which it is in my opinion).

Why is this such inane supposition - do you think that Buford/Pop would not pull a trade to improve team no matter who?

DesiSpur_21
07-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Bill wrote what he could on this story. Read it and see he did not say Parker was to be traded only that it was a potentiality (which it is in my opinion).

Why is this such inane supposition - do you think that Buford/Pop would not pull a trade to improve team no matter who?

But the fact is he cocked up a story that is attached with the champions - and that he knew u can write a piece with a guaranteed reading from the NBA fans

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 07:10 AM
There is absolutely no substance to that article other than the Spurs might make a trade this off-season. Crock of shit article.

Spurologist
07-05-2005, 07:17 AM
:stfu :idiot

Couldn't find anything else to write about, huh?

"An agent who is affiliated with one of the top point guards in the draft, under the condition that he remain nameless, hinted very strongly that the Spurs were very close to pulling a huge deal that would have shocked everyone. I asked if it involved Duncan or Manu and he said it did not - and that he couldn't say anything else about it."

This agent couldn't be IceColdBrewski, could it?

orhe
07-05-2005, 07:18 AM
This is as stupid as it gets - If he remotely knows anything about NBA, he wouldn;t have asked "I asked if it involved Duncan or Manu and he said it did not" - such a piece of sh!t.

what's so stupid about it? if you were at the draft and you heard the same stuff that he did wouldn't you ask who gets traded? sometimes your first reaction would be to ask if your top players won't get traded. (because you don't want them to)... it makes sense for him to ask this question since he covers the texas teams and on the past offseasons Dallas let steve nash go and Houston traded mobley and francis?

i guess hearsay ain't much of a source but at least he clarified how he got the info and just speculated on what he knew about the source. IMO it's a good article considering he made the foundation really clear its a lot better than the shit SAS breaks.

Rummpd
07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Whatever, suggest you all meet/read more by this guy before jumping on him? Again, he is a big fan of the Spurs organization. He also puts a lot of time in on the NBA and has lots of sources from the magazine etc.

By the way had dinner with Bill the night before the draft at ESPN Zone in NY - lots of good info on the NBA gleamed from him and other writers/editors.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 07:39 AM
when did Peter Vescey start writing for Hoopsworld?

exstatic
07-05-2005, 07:55 AM
HIS SOURCE IS A AGENT.

There were also about 45 agents who told their clients that they were surefire locks for the first round. Agents are liars and pimps.

He makes a HUGE jump to conclusions, too. Tony is NOT the only other moveable quatity that we have. Nazr, with an ending contract, or the rights to Scola would have made a pretty big splash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Damn, some of you guys are entirely too defensive about things.

The only untradeable Spurs are Manu and Tim.

If RC and Pop thought they could improve the team by trading Tony, they'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 08:05 AM
He makes a HUGE jump to conclusions, too. Tony is NOT the only other moveable quatity that we have. Nazr, with an ending contract, or the rights to Scola would have made a pretty big splash.

Sorry, but neither Scola or Nazr count as a blockbuster, and neither would make sense to move for a point guard.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Hoopsworld is a joke.

Here's an exercise:

Ouch! LJ, mind if I use that one to get back at hacks who write stuff that annoys me? Thanks! :lol

samikeyp
07-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Whatever, suggest you all meet/read more by this guy before jumping on him? Again, he is a big fan of the Spurs organization. He also puts a lot of time in on the NBA and has lots of sources from the magazine etc.

By the way had dinner with Bill the night before the draft at ESPN Zone in NY - lots of good info on the NBA gleamed from him and other writers/editors.

I have....everyone here is pretty much on target.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Damn, some of you guys are entirely too defensive about things.

The only untradeable Spurs are Manu and Tim.

If RC and Pop thought they could improve the team by trading Tony, they'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

Incorrect. Parker is also untradeable.

NCaliSpurs
07-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Tony is a Base Year Compensation player, right? Makes him pretty untradeable right?

The other thing this guy fails to mention, is that Tony tends to "fade" as series wears on because other teams tend to focus on taking away HIS penetration. This makes things easier on the other Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, TP's BYC status pretty much kills this speculation, no matter how many 'informed' sources want to pontificate on his availability...

2centsworth
07-05-2005, 08:29 AM
The other thing this guy fails to mention, is that Tony tends to "fade" as series wears on because other teams tend to focus on taking away HIS penetration. This makes things easier on the other Spurs.

the only thing that comes to mind after reading that is "don't be a homer Walter".

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Pretty much the people who want to see Parker traded are the dolts who rely only on a boxscore to understand the game.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Pretty much the people who want to see Parker traded are the dolts who rely only on a boxscore to understand the game.

I could name about 15 teams that would kill to have Tony Parker as their starting PG if he were a FA this summer. :rolleyes

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2005, 08:35 AM
I think the insinuation that we would pull off some big trade that involved our 23yr old PG (who is at the very least a known element) and recieve possibly a 2005 drafted PG who could be 18-22 (and unknown in NBA play, and unknown quantifier) ..................
.................................................. .................................................. ................
............well that is blatently ridicules.

This is an attention whore article.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Spurs fans don't seem to realize that Parker's penetration is as important to the Spurs' offense as anything that Ginobili does, if not moreso.

You know, if Ginobili had to face a defender on par with Billups in the Finals he would've been worthless and we'd have threads in here discussing who he could be traded for, and the Manu MobŪ would be beside themselves.

So shut the fuck up, take what someone with the moniker "The Rocket Guy" wrote on 'Hoopsworld' with a grain of salt, and stop cluttering this forum with such nonsense.

Fuck.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Furthermore, the Spurs just won a championship with what they have. You keep the core together and keep at it. Parker is very young and evidently well-liked by his teammates and coaches. No tinkering!

2centsworth
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Very insightful article to the rest of the country. Though the trade rumor is probably bogus,for people around the country understanding the demons Tony has been fighting and the progress he's made is part of getting to know the spurs. It's not as desperate as the writer claims, but it is an interesting dynamic within the the organization.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I agree the article sucked and it was stupid to quote an agent. They can say whatever they want for their interest. But it's normal for the Spurs to try and improve their team for next season and look at all options. I wouldn't be too shocked if they considered or even traded Parker. But right now, I doubt there is a tradeable PG out there that could replace Parker.

2centsworth
07-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Spurs fans don't seem to realize that Parker's penetration is as important to the Spurs' offense as anything that Ginobili does, if not moreso.

You know, if Ginobili had to face a defender on par with Billups in the Finals he would've been worthless and we'd have threads in here discussing who he could be traded for, and the Manu MobŪ would be beside themselves.

So shut the fuck up, take what someone with the moniker "The Rocket Guy" wrote on 'Hoopsworld' with a grain of salt, and stop cluttering this forum with such nonsense.

Fuck.
you're retarded.

boutons
07-05-2005, 08:46 AM
If Tony were up for a trade, it would have to be for another ready-to-play-now, top PG. Who could that be?

Why would the Spurs risk bringing another PG and perhaps blowing another year off Tim's prime trying get the PG to run the team?

A Tony trade now would be as traumatic to the Spurs team and fans as Malik's was.

It's The Silly Season for SpursTalk threads and sports "journalists", whose Silly Season is in bloom all year.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Ginobili laid some eggs in the Finals let's trade his ass.

There's nothing wrong with Parker that warrants moving him for the sake of moving him right now. At this point, I'd give him up for Wade and Wade only.

Moving Parker right now because he isn't perfect and forcing yourself to search for a point guard just as good is probably the most stupid (or "retarded", for 2centsworth) idea I have seen in this forum during this offseason.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
you're retarded.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

2centsworth
07-05-2005, 08:52 AM
If Tony were up for a trade, it would have to be for another ready-to-play-now, top PG. Who could that be?

Why would the Spurs risk bringing another PG and perhaps blowing another year off Tim's prime trying get the PG to run the team?

A Tony trade now would be as traumatic to the Spurs team and fans as Malik's was.

It's The Silly Season for SpursTalk threads and sports "journalists", whose Silly Season is in bloom all year.
the guy went overboard on the trade talk, but he was on target with about everything else. A lot of people think tony fades, and others think he a top 3 pg who has a couple of rough game here and there.

My take is he's an unbelievable talent, and without him the spurs would have an extremely difficult time winning championships. Nevertheless, of the big three he has the most room to improve which is good and bad.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Spurs fans would quickly realize just how horrible Parker was if the Spurs had to try to find a comparable talent in free agency, in the draft, or via a trade.

And no, Beno isn't that, no matter how much IceColdBlewski would like to claim otherwise.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 08:56 AM
others think he a top 3 pg who has a couple of rough game here and there.

I've never heard anyone call Parker a Top 3 PG. Top 10 maybe....even Top 5. Don't exaggerate.

As for the "Few rough games" here and there....no one has every said that Parker was consistent. We just feel as if for all the bad games he's had--he's had just as many good ones. While the Anti-Parkers concentrate on his bad games, we Pro-Parker's concentrate on the good ones and see the upside potential in them.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 09:01 AM
The closest comparable NBA point guard I can think of who was thrust into the playoff spotlight at a young age within the last decade or so was Sam Cassell. He was 24 when he started his rookie season and he was backing up someone else. Parker's already been through two championship runs as a starter and he just turned 23.

Get some perspective and stop trading him. Thanks.

Pee_Eye_Emm_Pee
07-05-2005, 09:09 AM
this article lost all it's credibility when i read the first line... second sentence! :lol :lol :lol

"The San Antonio Spurs are sitting pretty. Coming off of their second NBA championship in the Tim Duncan era...

anyways... TONY struggles, and he's inconsistant... i totally agree

his shot was much better last year than this year... i don't know what happened to it, but all i know is... the guy is young, he's fast and i don't see us trading him... i mean it makes sense, but why would you wanna trade a 22 year old (am i right?) point guard who has already won 2 championships...

i was pissed when he struggled in the finals... but i remembered, that he has done good things too... now i might be just looking at the good things he's done... i am not paying too much attention to his bad D or lack of D, and his BAD BAD SHOT... but i still like the guy, he stepped up against denver, against seattle... and he guarded NASH very well... better than what the MAVS did... so the guy is only going to improve... it's not he's losing a step, or he's getting a lot older... he's maturing every year, he'll be fine in my opinion...

btw... who would you guys want right now as your point guard instead of TONY??? lets hear it...

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 09:16 AM
btw... who would you guys want right now as your point guard instead of TONY??? lets hear it...

I've been asking them that question for weeks. Still haven't heard an answer. The only name that came up was Marbury :rolleyes

Pee_Eye_Emm_Pee
07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
the only reason marburys name is coming is cuz marbury use to kill the SPURS and TONY PARKER especially...

and ya'll know he's getting OLD... he's already in his 30s and he hasn't done shit in his career... tony has 2 championship rings, and all he has is... his NICKNAME, which eh gave himself

Phenomanul
07-05-2005, 09:24 AM
No one seems to bring out the fact that he went toe to toe with last season's League MVP. The article mentioned it... but really didn't give it the importance it deserved.

Getting outplayed by Billups is not the end of the world. Billups is a big-time performer and having played against him, is only going to make Parker a tougher cookie (or crouscant).

He is only 23!!!

You don't trade him based on the fact that it would take any other player, no matter how good, at least a year to adapt to the Spurs' system. Like MB mentioned, that would rob Duncan of one more year of his prime. That in itself is an untradable commodity.

Que Gee
07-05-2005, 09:25 AM
the only reason marburys name is coming is cuz marbury use to kill the SPURS and TONY PARKER especially...

and ya'll know he's getting OLD... he's already in his 30s and he hasn't done shit in his career... tony has 2 championship rings, and all he has is... his NICKNAME, which eh gave himself

If Tony doesn't start making the people around him better, he'll turn in to Marbury. Marbury is a great scorer and fun to watch. But he doesn't make the players around him better...This is why Kidd made the Nets so much better than he did etc...even though Kidd doesn't score as much.

Everyone needs to stop being defensive about the whole Parker thing. It doesn't say he WILL get traded...But if any of you think that Tony Parker is the caliber of player that is "UNTOUCHABLE" you are MOST CERTAINLY FOOLING YOURSELVES. He isn't at that level yet. Again, I'M NOT SAYING he should be traded...I am only stating that he is not at the level where he is untradeable.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 09:34 AM
At 23 years of age Tony Parker has been a starting NBA point guard for four seasons and has been a significant part of two NBA championship runs.

Is he untouchable? Fuck yes.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 09:35 AM
If Tony doesn't start making the people around him better, he'll turn in to Marbury. Marbury is a great scorer and fun to watch. But he doesn't make the players around him better...This is why Kidd made the Nets so much better than he did etc...even though Kidd doesn't score as much.

Parker's job isn't to make his team-mates better, he isn't the rock that glues the Spurs together--that's Tim Duncan. Guys like Kidd and Nash are the leaders of their respective teams.

If by making players better you are referring to Parker's assists, well he upped his regular season average to 6.5 assists or something, which is pretty darn good considering Spurs are built on motion offense and dumping the ball TD in the center.

Parker DOES make his team-mates better. He gives Manu Ginobili a great complementary teammate in the backcourt--with both able to lead fast breaks and increase the tempo. He makes guys like Bowen, Barry, and Co. get wide open for 3 pointers with his penetrations, AND he would make Nazr better if he quit fumbling the passes so much.

Everyone needs to stop being defensive about the whole Parker thing. It doesn't say he WILL get traded...But if any of you think that Tony Parker is the caliber of player that is "UNTOUCHABLE" you are MOST CERTAINLY FOOLING YOURSELVES.

No one thinks Parker is untouchable. We are just saying that Parker is a great fit for the Spurs, has a lot of upside potential, and that there really isn't anybody out there who is available OR who we would trade for that would make the Spurs better than they already are. Nash and Billups are not FA.

samikeyp
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
No one is untouchable if moving them makes the team better. Personally I don't see the realistic or feasible deal that would make the Spurs better by moving Parker.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I've been asking them that question for weeks. Still haven't heard an answer. The only name that came up was Marbury :rolleyes

Marbury!? might as well get Gilbert Arenas for parker. Actually, Arenas would be an improvement over Parker. Better defender/shooter/passer. Problem is he is too much of a ballhog.

Duncan would be happy 'cause he would have another Playstation buddy with Arenas. :lol

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 09:56 AM

:rolleyes Doesn't change the fact that this article is a piece of shit.

Some of you people don't seem to realise hopw difficult our system is to learn. Playing point guard is about distrubuting, scoring and keeping the team on track. Parker manages top do the last of those 2 well and sometimes even busts out the first, elevating him to a top tier point guard level. Consistency will be the key, can he ever find it?

Lets take Brent Barry as an example to why Parker is untouchable... Brent is a nba vet whose seen it all and whose basketball IQ and offensive awareness if off the charts. Yet he struggled with the new system and it was only late in the season that he was truly able to run the offense (even playing 2 guard he would set the offense occasionly later in the season) well.

Parker at 23 can handle this system with ease, its like second nature to him now. You change the point guard it will take them a year at minimum to be able to run it as efficiently as Brent Barry let alone Tony Parker. That as MB eluded to is one year of Tim and Manus prime that may be sacrificed to the learning curve of an unknown point guard.

Its simply not worth the risk.

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Marbury!? might as well get Gilbert Arenas for parker. Actually, Arenas would be an improvement over Parker. Better defender/shooter/passer. Problem is he is too much of a ballhog.

Duncan would be happy 'cause he would have another Playstation buddy with Arenas. :lol

:lmao Arenas can't distribute better than Parker on his worst night. He is a horrible playmaker.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 10:00 AM
:lmao Arenas can't distribute better than Parker on his worst night. He is a horrible playmaker.

You obviously haven't seen Arenas play. He is a much better passer than Parker. Problem is, he doesn't like to pass :lol But just wondering, if he could ever change that problem.

Dex
07-05-2005, 11:40 AM
If Marbury comes to San Antonio, I will have to stab my eyes out with a spoon so I won't be able to see it.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 11:40 AM
This guy is an excellent writer - I have met him and he is a fan of Spurs basketball and their style of play (although his primary team is the Rockets).

Sorry, I know you work for them and probably have to back the guy up, but he's put out so many poor articles in the last couple years it's pathetic.

In this article, the whole premise is from a "nameless" agent that didn't even say he was talking about Parker. I understand there's a stretch for material in the summer, but that's a big stretch. Also, he's glaringly wrong throughout the article. I could break it all down for you, but here's just some errors:

Faced with the kind of intensity that an NBA Finals MVP brings, Parker all but disappeared for seven games.

Parker outscored Manu on the road in the Finals.

In Game Seven we began hoping he would get in foul trouble so he could stop turning the ball over.

Tony only had one turnover in Game 7.

He also rips on Tony's defense without mention that only one basket was scored on Tony in the entire game 7.

That all being said, I don't think anyone is exactly untradeable in the NBA. And I'm not saying they would never look to trade Tony. But this article sucks.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 11:45 AM
And another thing, it's "Derek" Fisher, not "Derrick".

50 cent
07-05-2005, 12:07 PM
:lmao

This is just moronic. Tony just turned 23 and as mentioned knows the system like the back of his hand. Billups is the only PG I could see making the Spurs better and even then I'm not sure he would because Tony's speed and ability to penetrate draws defenders into the lane that creat wide open shots for the Bowens, Horrys, and Barrys once the ball is swung cross court (meaning Tony might not get the Assist, but was key in getting the wide open shot).

This article is all based on an assumption. Do you really think the Spurs would trade their 23 year old, Championship experienced PG for a PG in the draft that has never played a day in the NBA? If so, you are clueless how the Pop and RC run things.

dn0
07-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Chauncey Billups,
ups : one the clutchest performers of the league, good defender , good penetrator, outstanding shooter (specially free throws), avg. 6APG.
downs: 6 years older than tony, untradeable?

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Chauncey Billups,
ups : one the clutchest performers of the league, good defender , good penetrator, outstanding shooter (specially free throws), avg. 6APG.
downs: 6 years older than tony, untradeable?

READ: NOT A FA. And I highly doubt he's going to leave Detroit anytime soon. It's not like they are not title contenders themselves....

timvp
07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
exstatic hit it on the head earlier in this thread. Agents are liars and will say anything to boast their client's stock. But even worse than agents are agents at an NBA draft. They'll go out and get high school kids who are ready to enroll in college and sell them on the dream that if they declare for the draft now, they'll be picked in the first round and be instant millionaires. And then when the kids go undrafted, the agents drop them.

And this is who you get a scoop from?

Amazing stupid.

P.S.

I didn't even bother reading the article. We got a copy of that Swish Magazine or whatever and it was pathetic. The only thing it was good for was to open it up and laugh at the thousands (literally) of typos.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Swish MagazineAre you sure that's a basketball magazine?

timvp
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Are you sure that's a basketball magazine?

:lol

Yeah, that's what I was worried about too. I didn't want to open it and see an expose on Vince Carter.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
listen if Starbury does become a Spur (which I doubt a trade will happen) everyone on this board will jump on his bandwaggon the second after GM1 of the reag season is over

And then Jump back off in GM2 when he goes 6-20 with 7 assists and 6 TO's :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Who wrote that? Walton Buys Off Me?

Que Gee
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=1Parker1]Parker's job isn't to make his team-mates better, he isn't the rock that glues the Spurs together--that's Tim Duncan. Guys like Kidd and Nash are the leaders of their respective teams.

Steve Nash, I'll give you as a leader...as far as maybe scoring goes...But they both avg more points AND assists then Parker, so I'm going to disagree. Everything runs through Tim Duncan and I do agree with that.

I don't even want to talk about stats to be honest. I'm just saying that Parker hasn't achieved "untouchable" status yet. I think his play in the last two years playoffs cement that opinion. When its comes to playing the "best of the best" I don't think he's established himself as one of them. Is he young? Yes. Can he become A LOT better...Definitely! I am just saying that in the context of the this "string" is about, it would be really easy for him to become a guy who dribbles the ball way to much, and shoots way to often...Which is exactly what Marbury does. This play, in effect doesn't make the players around him better...by getting them more touches, in position to make easy shots etc. I don't think Tony moves the ball well enough as it is, and already dribbles to much. With his quickness and penetration, he should be a lot better at getting guys (BESIDES T.D.) better looks. I don't think he's done that yet.

Que Gee
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Steve Nash, I'll give you as a leader...as far as maybe scoring goes...But they both avg more points AND assists then Parker, so I'm going to disagree. Everything runs through Tim Duncan and I do agree with that.

I don't even want to talk about stats to be honest. I'm just saying that Parker hasn't achieved "untouchable" status yet. I think his play in the last two years playoffs cement that opinion. When its comes to playing the "best of the best" I don't think he's established himself as one of them. Is he young? Yes. Can he become A LOT better...Definitely! I am just saying that in the context of the this "string" is about, it would be really easy for him to become a guy who dribbles the ball way to much, and shoots way to often...Which is exactly what Marbury does. This play, in effect doesn't make the players around him better...by getting them more touches, in position to make easy shots etc. I don't think Tony moves the ball well enough as it is, and already dribbles to much. With his quickness and penetration, he should be a lot better at getting guys (BESIDES T.D.) better looks. I don't think he's done that yet.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
listen if Starbury does become a Spur (which I doubt a trade will happen) everyone on this board will jump on his bandwaggon the second after GM1 of the reag season is over

not me. But the trade is not gonna happen. I hope.

Jelly
07-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Nkd Lunch,
Love your Bush quote! Did you see that on TV? Actually, my recollection is just slightly different. I recall him cutting her off in mid-sentence to say "three jobs? well, that's just great! this is what America is all about!" and "let's all give her a hand" or something like that. The look on the woman's face was priceless.

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 09:46 PM
You obviously haven't seen Arenas play. He is a much better passer than Parker. Problem is, he doesn't like to pass But just wondering, if he could ever change that problem.

:rolleyes You obviously didn't read what I said, the word used was distributer not passer. Passing is only one part of distributing the ball well.

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I think Parker will get better at getting the ball to other players. He will use his insane ability to get into the paint to get other players involved. He will get better as he matures a bit more. I don't think there is another guard I would trade him for. Not even D. Wade.

MI21
07-05-2005, 10:17 PM
There have been 2 writers in the history of Hoopsworld (or bskball.com or whatever it used to be called) that have been any good.

Emett Shaw and Kori Ellis.

That site is a complete fuckup, I would never listen to what anyone has to say from there nowadays. (except Emett)

samikeyp
07-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I used to write for Hoopsworld....no love from the Aussies. :depressed

MI21
07-05-2005, 10:29 PM

I knew you used to write for them, but I never did read your stuff, so I didn't mention you.

The reputation of the site being a load of shit was already strong so I didn't bother reading it. I wouldn't of bothered reading Emett either but his articles always get posted on the Spurs Forums.

I'm sure you were better than the guy who wrote this shit :lol

SequSpur
07-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I can name a few other sites that are full of shit as well. :)

BTW, this topic is stupid.

samikeyp
07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
it's all good bro...I was messin with ya. :) Actually my stuff was a little boring....all I was allowed to do was straight news, just game recaps. I tried to get some opinion pieces but I was told that the fan base wasn't "evolved enough" Whatever the hell that was supposed to mean? Bill "the Rocket Guy" was my overall editor and Tom House the douche that covered the Mavs was the guy in charge of the Midwest Division writers. When I told them I was going to have to stop writing (a position that was, BTW, volunteer..not paid) because I had started a new job and was planning a wedding....House and Rocket Guy said that I was pussywhipped because I wanted to help my wife plan our wedding. I then proceeded to give out my free password to most of Cyberspace. :)

SequSpur
07-05-2005, 10:36 PM
http://www.concept-pkg.com/Downloadable_Files/combination%20padlock%201.jpg