PDA

View Full Version : Aron Baynes. Consolation for Robertas?

Solid D
02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
As far back as November, timvp (perhaps others) commented about how Aron Baynes reminded him of Robertas Javtokas. I, too, have been reminded of Robertas, the more I've watched Aron. (In fact, I had to edit this thread after looking back to see who else had compared the two players).

Although the Spurs never received monetary recompense for their investment in Robertas, there are a few similarities to his game and Aron's. Aron isn't quite the leaper that Robertas was prior to his car accident, but here are a few that come to mind:

* International player who played basketball in an American University.
* Played in Lithuania for Rytas.
* Won slam dunk contest
* Play a physical syle in the role as screen-setter and rebounder.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Robertas_Javtokas.jpg/220px-Robertas_Javtokas.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Aron_baynes_san_antonio_spurs.jpg/220px-Aron_baynes_san_antonio_spurs.jpg

Is Aron a shadow or copy of what Javtokas would have given them or is Aron one of those big JAGs who come and go?

superbigtime
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Damn it's too bad Javtokas never joined the Silver and Black. What a hulk, and lots of ability.

LittleCriminal
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-27YSspNM

Mr. Body
02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I may be wrong, but beside Baynes being much more earthbound, Javtokas seemed more athlete than basketball player, while Baynes seems to have a better feel for the game. Those seals on drives are moments Baynes shows he really understands the game. I'd also guess he's stronger than Javtokas. He'll be more of a positional defender/bone-cruncher as opposed to more of a weak-side defender.

Darkwaters
02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I may be wrong, but beside Baynes being much more earthbound, Javtokas seemed more athlete than basketball player, while Baynes seems to have a better feel for the game. Those seals on drives are moments Baynes shows he really understands the game. I'd also guess he's stronger than Javtokas. He'll be more of a positional defender/bone-cruncher as opposed to more of a weak-side defender.

I like your assessment and definitely agree with it. Good points.

Mr. Body with the goods.

Solid D
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM

I think you're probably right about the athletic aspect, however, Robertas developed into quite a basketball player over the years. I'm sure you've seen him play, either for Rytas, Zalgiris or the Lithuanian N.T. but sealing players like Aron did last night is nothing new to Javtokas. He's a pretty astute player.

Mr. Body
02-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I really haven't seen Javtokas play in quite a while, to be honest. He was a good post defender back then.

Bruno
02-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Over the years, Javtokas has turned into a player that is more strong than athletic. I don't think than the current Javtokas is more athletic than the current Baynes.

They are close players but I would say that Baynes is better offensively while Javtokas is likely better defensively. Javtokas is just an offensive disaster with bad hands and no shooting touch and he can't hit a FT.

Solid D
02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Yes! Much better FT shooter than Robertas.

timvp
02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty good comparison. Pre-injury Javtokas was an elite athlete -- somewhere close to Dwight Howard. He lost a lot of athleticism after his motorcycle accident but he had so much extra athleticism that he remained an above average athlete. Skill-wise, Javtokas never advanced much on the offensive end. On D, he remained pretty damn good, though.

Pop called Javtokas a "Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot" type player and I always thought that was pretty accurate :lol. In the NBA, he wouldn't have been able to score much at all but he would have been a very good post defender who could defend the rim a bit and rebound.

Baynes is in a similar mold. Not as advanced defensively but he probably has a better basketball body since he's bottom heavy and has wider shoulders. Baynes isn't as mobile as Javtokas but he's coordinated enough to become a plus defender. Baynes is already a plus rebounder. But overall, his D is a work in progress since he's still deceptively raw.

Offensively, Baynes has better hands, better touch and his wide frame makes it easier for him to finish through contact. In Europe, Baynes showed off a bit of a jumper, which is something Javtokas never developed.

It's tough to say what Baynes' ceiling is. Javtokas was easier to figure out what he was going to be -- which was a backup center who could help in certain matchups but whose lack of skill could limit him to 9th or 10th man.

Good call, Solid D, on the American college and Rytas connections :tu

DapDaGenius
02-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Javtokas reminds me of Guile from street fighter...as if he was the real life version of him.

DAF86
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Please Pop, play Baynes to see what we have in him before the playoffs.

Whisky Dog
02-22-2013, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-27YSspNM

Baynes shows some deft ability with the one handed tip in put back around the rim. He had one in that video and I remember one from last night as well.

Obviously he won't be anything but insurance this season, but if he can develop into a Spurs system big in the next year or two that would be nice.

bigfan
02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Im one of the guys that is still very pissed we didnt try a bit harder to bring over Javtokas, even after the accident (even more than Scola) but time has marched on I guess. Regarding Baynes, I like what I see so far. He is a big galoot (with skills) and I bet Coach Pop can mold him into a darn good center over the next year or two. Baynes and Splitter, the "Ivory Towers"??

Southwest Texas Fan
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
As far back as November, timvp (perhaps others) commented about how Aron Baynes reminded him of Robertas Javtokas. I, too, have been reminded of Robertas, the more I've watched Aron. (In fact, I had to edit this thread after looking back to see who else had compared the two players).

Although the Spurs never received monetary recompense for their investment in Robertas, there are a few similarities to his game and Aron's. Aron isn't quite the leaper that Robertas was prior to his car accident, but here are a few that come to mind:

* International player who played basketball in an American University.
* Played in Lithuania for Rytas.
* Won slam dunk contest
* Play a physical syle in the role as screen-setter and rebounder.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Robertas_Javtokas.jpg/220px-Robertas_Javtokas.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Aron_baynes_san_antonio_spurs.jpg/220px-Aron_baynes_san_antonio_spurs.jpg

Is Aron a shadow or copy of what Javtokas would have given them or is Aron one of those big JAGs who come and go?

This guy reminds me of Kevin Durand. He's the actor that plays Ricky in Real Steel.