PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Biggest Offseason Mistake Was Not Picking Up Joel Meyers

spursmartyr
02-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Andrew Monaco is just soooooooooooo painfully mundane. Sean Marks is only liveable because he talks like a Euro soccer color commentator which is actually consistent with the Spurs' offensive style to be honest.

Joel, on the other hand, is one of the best announcers in sports, has Spurs experience, and had been a free agent for over a year. I mean, he ended up going to the NEW ORLEANS PELICANS after all. Don't think that was his first choice by any stretch, but he needed a job, and he prefers warm weather after all. I earnestly don't believe he's ever announced for a losing team in his career until this season. We really missed out.

I have a feeling the Andrew Monaco at color commentator experiment tonight is going to be a failure, but at least he's not the play-by-play announcer and we have Bill tonight. My only beef with Bill is over the last couple of years he emphasizes players' college alumni too much. "Tarheel/Townshend/Aztec triple" gets old after awhile, but obviously signature phrases like "Oh Mama" are epic. But bringing back the aging Joel for whenever Bill needs a break would be awesome this year, I could sure have used some "Break for the Spurs" or "Spurs aren't complainin'!" or "YESSS! Tony Parker DRRRRRRRRRRRRAINS IT!"

Ah well.

/rant

FuzzyLumpkins
02-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Monaco is the backup. Bill Land does most broadcasts. I agree that Monaco is not particularly good but he is getting better. Young talking heads are pretty forced normally. Take the new girl on the TNT sidelines last night for example.

Trainwreck2100
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
good point partner

SanDiegoSpursFan
02-22-2013, 10:51 PM
wrong thread

SanDiegoSpursFan
02-22-2013, 10:52 PM
wrong thread

spursmartyr
02-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Monaco is the backup. Bill Land does most broadcasts. I agree that Monaco is not particularly good but he is getting better. Young talking heads are pretty forced normally. Take the new girl on the TNT sidelines last night for example.

Bill has been the primary announcer since 2003-04, having done nearly equal shares of the 2002-03 season with Joel & the 2006-07 season with Dave Barnett, who really wasn't that great. But Monaco has been the 2nd or 3rd string announcer since 2005 & has always been terrible.

timvp
02-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Myers ain't cheap. I'm not sure if Monaco gets paid. That's the difference, tbh.

I'd rather the Spurs spend on personnel rather than backup play by play announcer, to be completely honest.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Andrew Monaco is just soooooooooooo painfully mundane. Sean Marks is only liveable because he talks like a Euro soccer color commentator which is actually consistent with the Spurs' offensive style to be honest.

Joel, on the other hand, is one of the best announcers in sports, has Spurs experience, and had been a free agent for over a year. I mean, he ended up going to the NEW ORLEANS PELICANS after all. Don't think that was his first choice by any stretch, but he needed a job, and he prefers warm weather after all. I earnestly don't believe he's ever announced for a losing team in his career until this season. We really missed out.

I have a feeling the Andrew Monaco at color commentator experiment tonight is going to be a failure, but at least he's not the play-by-play announcer and we have Bill tonight. My only beef with Bill is over the last couple of years he emphasizes players' college alumni too much. "Tarheel/Townshend/Aztec triple" gets old after awhile, but obviously signature phrases like "Oh Mama" are epic. But bringing back the aging Joel for whenever Bill needs a break would be awesome this year, I could sure have used some "Break for the Spurs" or "Spurs aren't complainin'!" or "YESSS! Tony Parker DRRRRRRRRRRRRAINS IT!"

Ah well.

/rant

Amen, brah. I said the same thing when we played the Pelicans. Joel was the best announcer we ever had.

baseline bum
02-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Amen, brah. I said the same thing when we played the Pelicans. Joel was the best announcer we ever had.

Jay Howard and Greg Papa were way better IMO. Myers whined about fouls and calls too much; couldn't stand his play by play.