PDA

View Full Version : Pop made the team watch Game 5 of last year's WCF...

racm
02-25-2013, 04:38 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bolch-nba-spurs-20130224,0,1839560.story

FuzzyLumpkins
02-25-2013, 05:06 AM
"Yeah," Popovich said. "We just have guys who played better defense than Vinny did."

:lol

chapnis
02-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Hopefully Pop watched it too.

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 07:46 AM

If you were on the team and you had this attitude - Pop would put you next to Blair in the doghouse and all your minutes would go to matty until you "got over yourself"

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 07:47 AM
If you were on the team and you had this attitude - Pop would put you next to Blair in the doghouse and all your minutes would go to matty until you "got over yourself"lol enlightened

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
lol enlightened

lol @ chumpie loling

your social address should be;

[email protected]#

you're welcome

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
So is enlightenment just a part time thing for you or just a big lie you tell yourself to tolerate your existence?

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
So is enlightenment just a part time thing for you or just a big lie you tell yourself to tolerate your existence?

It would be pretty sad to consider life just something you tolerate or even call "existence" and I am not sure what you mean by "enlightenment"

Thanks.

Uriel
02-25-2013, 08:46 AM
This isn't really news. We've known this since the first day of training camp.

Uriel
02-25-2013, 08:48 AM
For the record, there are a million things I can think of I'd rather do than watch Game 5 of last year's WCF...:depressed

But at the same time, it's that game which gives me hope things will be different this time; James Harden won't be around to make dagger 3's over Manu Ginobili, for instance.

UZER
02-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Pops has had a whole year to come up with a scheme to counter Sef on Parker. Golden state just rendered him useless in the 4th the other night by putting Thompson on him hedging him to the corner with traps. Pops counter was send parker to the corner to stand around while ginobili turned the ball over. I know, I know he was tired...but I was having flashbacks watching that.

I hope pop has something up his sleeve this year. But knowing his stubbornness, or inability to adjust for that matter, he'll use his trusty "They just made shots." line.

Pop
02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Pops has had a whole year to come up with a scheme to counter Sef on Parker. Golden state just rendered him useless in the 4th the other night by putting Thompson on him hedging him to the corner with traps. Pops counter was send parker to the corner to stand around while ginobili turned the ball over. I know, I know he was tired...but I was having flashbacks watching that.

I hope pop has something up his sleeve this year. But knowing his stubbornness, or inability to adjust for that matter, he'll use his trusty "They just made shots." line.

"We overachieved"... Such a weak way to justify a loss, has he ever said that any loss was on him?

SA210
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM

TJastal
02-25-2013, 10:02 AM
It would be pretty sad to consider life just something you tolerate or even call "existence" and I am not sure what you mean by "enlightenment"

Thanks.
Chumpy says his mum tolerates his existence in her basement as long as he always comes with her on.her weekly garage sailing / goodwill trips.

SA210
02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Chumpy says his mum tolerates his existence in her basement as long as he always comes with her on.her weekly garage sailing / goodwill trips.

:rollin

Gotta get to 80,000 posts before playoffs!!

http://exciteing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/computer_addicted_04.jpg

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Only after he finishes his fruit loops!!!!

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

:lmao

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 10:43 AM

It can't be easy to type this way...it explains the 67,000 lol's

SA210
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
It can't be easy to type this way...it explains the 67,000 lol's

Chumps parents tried stopping his addiction years ago...but unfortunately....

"Must. Post. On. Line..." NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO!!!"

http://www.myspaceantics.com//images/myspace-graphics/funny-pictures/computer-addict.jpg

jag
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM

If Ginobili plays like that, the Spurs aren't winning anything regardless of how Tony plays. It shouldn't be that easy to neutralize a team's best player/best scorer, but that's a risk teams take when they try to ride a PG to a championship.

Bruce Bowen used to do the same thing to opposing PGs. The only real adjustment that can be made is for someone else to take advantage of the other player match-ups on the floor. That's on Green and Manu.

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Chumps parents tried stopping his addiction years ago...but unfortunately....

"Must. Post. On. Line..." NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO!!!"

http://www.myspaceantics.com//images/myspace-graphics/funny-pictures/computer-addict.jpg

In tribute to chumpie - here is my response;

lol

UZER
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
If Ginobili plays like that, the Spurs aren't winning anything regardless of how Tony plays. It shouldn't be that easy to neutralize a team's best player/best scorer, but that's a risk teams take when they try to ride a PG to a championship.

Bruce Bowen used to do the same thing to opposing PGs. The only real adjustment that can be made is for someone else to take advantage of the other player match-ups on the floor. That's on Green and Manu.

And this is where "system" guys become a problem. Danny green is a scrub that has flourished in pops system. But when a wrench gets thrown in, like shutting down parker, all we have to rely on is Danny Green and an old and broken Ginobili. Ginobili used to be the only go that would say "screw pops system in taking over", but now he's just a shell and turnover machine.

If pop is a genius like everyone claims he is, then iis on him to find a way. And if you are right about relying on PGs to carry you (I agree btw), then pop is not as smart as everyone thinks he is, and has has been trying to run a PG driven system which he himself has beaten (Nash) over and over again.

Spurs7794
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
For all the talk about Tony shitting the bed, he only really played terrible in games 4 and the first half of game 5. He played decent/poor in game 3 but that was, per usual, the Spurs annual bitch game where they just let themselves get reamed in a series that they are winning. He was pretty bad in game 4 and came out to start game 5 in full panic mode (i think this was cuz of Pop's panic move). He managed to recover and have a good second half in game 5 and had a great game 6.

My hope is that Tony and the team are ready for the adjustments this year and don't go into a shell for a couple games before its too late.

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 12:02 PM

jag
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
And this is where "system" guys become a problem. Danny green is a scrub that has flourished in pops system. But when a wrench gets thrown in, like shutting down parker, all we have to rely on is Danny Green and an old and broken Ginobili. Ginobili used to be the only go that would say "screw pops system in taking over", but now he's just a shell and turnover machine.

If pop is a genius like everyone claims he is, then iis on him to find a way. And if you are right about relying on PGs to carry you (I agree btw), then pop is not as smart as everyone thinks he is, and has has been trying to run a PG driven system which he himself has beaten (Nash) over and over again.

There's nothing wrong with having "system" guys who know their roles. Great teams can't be built without role players who know and understand their limitations. Green isn't a "scrub" flourishing in a gimmick system, he's a solid role player who has been put in a position to succeed. And so far he's been making the most of that. During a playoff run, all coaches and teams rely on those types of guys you call scrubs to win championships. Miami wouldn't have won anything without Mario Chalmers.

Pop isn't relying on Tony to bring them another championship because he thinks it's the ideal way (in theory) to win. He's relying on Tony because it gives the Spurs the best chance to win.

Pop has given his role players reps and confidence; they've been put in a position to succeed. And when the time comes, the Spurs will need system guys like Green, Neal and possibly Bonner to knock down shots. Just like they've needed system guys like Jaren Jackson, Kerr and Finley in the past. That's not on Pop, and that's not on the system.

trypldubl
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with having "system" guys who know their roles. Great teams can't be built without role players who know and understand their limitations. Green isn't a "scrub" flourishing in a gimmick system, he's a solid role player who has been put in a position to succeed. And so far he's been making the most of that. During a playoff run, all coaches and teams rely on those types of guys you call scrubs to win championships. Miami wouldn't have won anything without Mario Chalmers.

Pop isn't relying on Tony to bring them another championship because he thinks it's the ideal way (in theory) to win. He's relying on Tony because it gives the Spurs the best chance to win.

Pop has given his role players reps and confidence; they've been put in a position to succeed. And when the time comes, the Spurs will need system guys like Green, Neal and possibly Bonner to knock down shots. Just like they've needed system guys like Jaren Jackson, Kerr and Finley in the past. That's not on Pop, and that's not on the system.

Dude that's not his point at all.

jag
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Dude that's not his point at all.

Was his point was that Manu sucks and that Green isn't a star? If one of your 3 best players is no longer capable of playing at a high level, then your team isn't going to win sh*t. I'm not sure how that's on Pop to "find a way to win."

silverblk mystix
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM

If this is the case....then spurs are fucked again this year!

ChumpDumper
02-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks.So it was just a lie.

I really didn't think it could be anything else.

lol

trypldubl
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Was his point was that Manu sucks and that Green isn't a star? If one of your 3 best players is no longer capable of playing at a high level, then your team isn't going to win sh*t. I'm not sure how that's on Pop to "find a way to win."

Dude I think his point is if teams shut down Parker then Pop needs come up with counter sets on offense if that happens. Right now if Parker does get trapped then the defense is forcing Green/Kawhi to make those plays. The other thing is Pop sometimes tries to counter that with Manu running the offense but his ball handling and ability to get by people is not what it used to be. That used to work in the past but not anymore.

UZER
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Dude I think his point is if teams shut down Parker then Pop needs come up with counter sets on offense if that happens. Right now if Parker does get trapped then the defense is forcing Green/Kawhi to make those plays. The other thing is Pop sometimes tries to counter that with Manu running the offense but his ball handling and ability to get by people is not what it used to be. That used to work in the past but not anymore.

pretty much this. And calling green a scrub was tounge-in-cheek.

Manu-20
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Lol at some of you on here saying the Warriors shut parker down in the 4th dude was cleary tired he's been caring us with Timmy out and that so called great defense didn't seem to affect him very much when Thompson was on parker in SA which wasn't on a BTB incase anyone here forgot. Also to counter OKC we do have much better D Splitter and Kawhi are playing better this season and Danny is starting to drive to the lane and create plays now almost every game, now granted does this mean they will continue to do this who knows but I fell much more confident this year with this team than I did last year.

trypldubl
02-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Lol at some of you on here saying the Warriors shut parker down in the 4th dude was cleary tired he's been caring us with Timmy out and that so called great defense didn't seem to affect him very much when Thompson was on parker in SA which wasn't on a BTB incase anyone here forgot. Also to counter OKC we do have much better D Splitter and Kawhi are playing better this season and Danny is starting to drive to the lane and create plays now almost every game, now granted does this mean they will continue to do this who knows but I fell much more confident this year with this team than I did last year.

Never said they shut him down but uzer used that as an example of what some teams are starting throw at the spurs in order to throw the offense off and cause turnovers. That defensive scheme is that the thunder will use again in crunch time of close games. Green is starting to drive the lane when the defender closes out on him. It is helping but he needs to finish at rim better. Hopefully that will improve.

The offense is only part of the problems with the thunder. The other is figuring a good scheme on how to defend Durant. Pop needs to decide if he should try to continue on focusing the defense on trying to contain Durant and Westbrook or try to focus on shutting everyone else down. One thing for sure is that Westbrook will chuck the Thunder out of one game in a series.

freetiago
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I wonder if anyone of the sackless turds on the team called out Pop on his terrible rotations in game 5
featured lots of Diaw/midget lineups
Jackson was the tallest player on the court at some points

hater
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't remember game 5 of last years WCF. Anything special happened?

spurraider21
02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't remember game 5 of last years WCF. Anything special happened?

not sure if serious. it was where most of our team played like crap except for Manu who was just going nuts, hitting big shot after big shot to keep us in it. we actually took a bit of a lead in the 3rd quarter. thunder made a huge run. we were down 11 or so with less than 5 minutes left but got back in it. late in the game we were down by just 2 and harden buried a step back 3 to seal the game. Manu was a +13 in his 38 minutes played and we lost by 5. all that says is we got outscored by 18 in the 10 minutes Manu wasn't playing

hater
02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
thanks. I really had wiped that memory off my brain.

as I been saying Kawhi is the key to success in the playoffs. We go as far as Kawhi shows up

Kidd K
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I love the pic plastered right up front in that article. Tim Duncan is blocking Kobe's shot with his elbow practically. Kobe got decimated on that shot.

vander
02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
yeah, who's going to create offense when TP gets shut down in the playoffs again?

Leonard?

Diaw?

02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
nice to see pop focusing hard on defense again. spurs never had the heart to break up their core and the core can be limited considerably by athletic players with a good defensive plan. the only way to stay in the game is to play better defense and hope the other team misses their shots. still don't know if the spurs can beat OKC once they turn back on the defensive focus

hater
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM
yeah, who's going to create offense when TP gets shut down in the playoffs again?

if TP gets shut down it's game over. as it should be. same goes with Lebron in the Heat and Durant in OKC.

therealtruth
02-25-2013, 07:59 PM

There's a big difference in what you're asking from the role players. In the past you asked guys like Jackson, Kerr, and Finley to knock down open shots because TD was drawing double-teams in the post.

Now your asking the role players to knock down contested shots because TP is unable to deal with length and quickness and the other team packing the paint. If they could do that they wouldn't be role players.

therealtruth
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM

I wonder if anyone of the sackless turds on the team called out Pop on his terrible rotations in game 5
featured lots of Diaw/midget lineups
Jackson was the tallest player on the court at some points

I remember the TNT broadcasters calling him out on his rotations.

Turnobili!

UZER
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Its not the role players job to create offense and carry the team. Its they're job to play their role and provide support. Sure they can help in spurts and hit some shots, grab boards, etc. And maybe even one of them can carry a quarter for one game in a series max. But allowing Parker to he removed from the equation, with no adjustment, and asking the role players to carry the load for am entire series is completely different.

If I saw Pop make an adjustment and the spurs still lost, I can accept that. The problem is there is never an adjustment. Its just run the same thing over and over even though its not working, then conveniently say "they just made shots".

And instead of finding a way to keep Parker involved, he just sends him to the corner rendering him useless since his three ball is shakey at best. That's not an adjustment...thats a concession.