PDA

View Full Version : Without Manu, Tony, Timmy..How would the spurs regular season look like?

apalisoc_9
02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Thoughts?

will they make the play-offs, if yes, how far will they advance?

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Thoughts?

Am I to imagine an NBA team with a 33 million dollar payroll (below the minimum required by the CBA and 16 million less than the next smallest payroll) or am I to imagine the remaining Spurs plus the NBA talent I could reasonably expect to buy with 36 million dollars?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
It would look like Kawhi Leonard running away with the DPOY, Most Improved Player, and MVP trophies as well as the hearts of NBA fans everywhere.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-25-2013, 12:33 PM
50-32

SpursIndonesia
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Thoughts?

No playoffs, but not the worst team of the league either, around the Suns territory.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Like Orlando's.

Spursfanfromafar
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
The Toros + the Spurs' role players.

apalisoc_9
02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Am I to imagine an NBA team with a 33 million dollar payroll (below the minimum required by the CBA and 16 million less than the next smallest payroll) or am I to imagine the remaining Spurs plus the NBA talent I could reasonably expect to buy with 36 million dollars?

Former, and to make up for the roster..add an a few d-leauge toros players

50-32

No playoffs, but not the worst team of the league either, around the Suns territory.

I would consider the suns as the worst western confrenece team tbh

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Former, and to make up for the roster..add an a few d-leauge toros players

Then they're a lottery team. Better than Phoenix and Sacramento, not as good as the Pelicans.

apalisoc_9
02-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Then they're a lottery team. Better than Phoenix and Sacramento, not as good as the Pelicans.

Roster wise, yes. But coaching and chemistry should at least give them a run for the play-offs IMO

Brunodf
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
7th seed

Brazil
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
If Pop is still the coach, I see them as a >.500 team in the fight to go in the PO in the west

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Roster wise, yes. But coaching and chemistry should at least give them a run for the play-offs IMO

Stepping up for one game, such as in Chicago, is one thing. Over the course of 82 games, the talent deficit overall, and the lack of playmakers in particular, keep them well out of the playoff picture IMO.

Now, you take the current roster and coaching staff, subtract the Big 3 and Jack, and give RC 46 million dollars to buy NBA talent... I'm confident that the Spurs are still a playoff team.

SpursIndonesia
02-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I would consider the suns as the worst western confrenece team tbh

Still better than the Bobcats though, it's the league not only the western conference. I know, semantic. :lol

02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
depends... where did the money go? if it has gone to good use and the spurs get some decent talent, then they will be like the nuggets with a 4-5 seed possibility. if they didn't replace the talent or spent their money unwisely, then the spurs might sneak into the playoffs for a first round exit, but that is as high as they go.

maverick1948
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Let's see

C Diaw/Blair/Baynes
PF Splitter/Bonner
SF Kawhi/Jax
SG Green/Neal/De Colo
PG CoJo/Mills

With the money left over could we use Lorbek, Bertans, and Hanga? They are part of the Spurs team. Without them, I see us needing a PG and a big C. Also, addition to the bench. A record of 44-38 is not out of the range for this young bunch. They can play ball, but someone would have to step up like Splitter, Green or CoJo to join Kawhi as leaders of the team on the floor and off. Hanga is looking pretty good in Europe. He could step in at SG/SF/PG. He has skills for matching Green and Neal/DeColo and size to backup SF. Bertans is 20 and has a ways to go before he would add a lot but again would fill in at backup SF. As for Lorbeck, he is a top PF in Europe and as with all Euro players needs a year in the NBA to get the speed and quality of game to be really effective. He would make a good backup for Splitter.

With these 3 players, I could see the Spurs making the playoff at 4 to 6 seed and maybe pulling a first round series win. But to go further, it would take time to develop the team. 44-38 1st year back to 50 wins thereafter.

sexinthatsx
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Easy. Just look at the Spurs game against Miami when Pop sat out Duncan, Manu, and Parker. We'll still be a really fast-paced scoring team; I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs would end up playing like the Rockets are currently playing, hovering around .500

KaiRMD1
02-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Spurs make the playoffs as a number 8 seed. If they played in the east, they'd be a number 2 seed

sventhedog
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
the team would be moved to another city. reasons:

having an useless front office without a single star
pop leaves because he doesn't want to work with useless people
no fans because no one wants to watch a team made by useless people

sananspursfan21
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
i think i get the idea here. saying that manu, tony, timmy all were drafted to serve in the military just before the season begins, how would the spurs do? 46-36, assuming the spurs are still paying for the boys so they can only sign league minimums and make d-league call ups as replacements. players like kawhi and gary neal would step up. i think even sjax would take on a bigger scoring role. tiago would probably lead the team in offense maybe getting 18-20 ppg, kawhi probably getting 15-16 ppg. they would probably make the 5-7th seed, and probably lose first round unless there's a serious emergence in kawhi. that's my scenario, it's an extra optimistic view, but not unlikely. can we please pray this should never happen

hater
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
like the lakers

Pop
02-25-2013, 06:38 PM
People overrating the bench that lost to OKC and the Clippers bench in last years playoff.

The team wouldn't sniff the playoff, you're dumb as hell if you think different, look at the Rockets, how can you compete with that when your best player is Kawhi Leonard vs Harden & co...

Look at the Jazz big men, look at Portland starting five and stop with that bs tbh...

Richie
02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
With Pop? 30-52

Without Pop? 20-62 at best.

MANUNG-Ginobili
02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
still a decent team..fighting for the final play-off spot..

Boomersgold
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
People overrating the bench that lost to OKC and the Clippers bench in last years playoff.

The team wouldn't sniff the playoff, you're dumb as hell if you think different, look at the Rockets, how can you compete with that when your best player is Kawhi Leonard vs Harden & co...

Look at the Jazz big men, look at Portland starting five and stop with that bs tbh...

How can you compete with the Rockets when your best player is Kawhi Leonard? The same way that resulted in us losing to the Heat, the NBA's best team in the East, by a mere 5 points. Great teamwork, great coaching and great team chemistry make for a better team than one built just on "talent".

You're obviously not a Spurs fan if you're blaming our bench for our losses against OKC and the Clippers last year. Pop shortened the rotation in the playoffs, which probably actually caused us to lose. His inconsistent rotations throughout the regular season screwed us over in the post season. I mean, having Gary Neal running the point isn't exactly the best idea.....

Pop
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
How can compete with the Rockets when your best player is Kawhi Leonard? The same way that resulted in us losing to the Heat, the NBA's best team in the East, by a mere 5 points. Great teamwork, great coaching and great team chemistry make for a better team than one built just on "talent".

You're obviously not a Spurs fan if you're blaming our bench for our losses against OKC and the Clippers last year. Pop shortened the rotation in the playoffs, which probably actually caused us to lose. His inconsistent rotations throughout the regular season screwed us over in the post season. I mean, having Gary Neal running the point isn't exactly the best idea.....

Lol weak excuses from the typical bench loving spursfan who think his bench would be the top seed in the east...

The Harden-less Rockets almost beat us at full strength btw, teams play down to the competition all the time...

Boomersgold
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Lol weak excuses from the typical bench loving spursfan who think his bench would be the top seed in the east...

The Harden-less Rockets almost beat us at full strength btw, teams play down to the competition all the time...

Sometimes true, I guess. I'm not saying that we'd beat the Rockets without Manu, Parker and Duncan, but that we wouldn't be as bad as we think we'd be.

Pop
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Sometimes true, I guess. I'm not saying that we'd beat the Rockets without Manu, Parker and Duncan, but that we wouldn't be as bad as we think we'd be.

Yeah I'm not saying we finish last either, but making the PO seems unrealistic.

PG rotation would be the worst in the league when it's the most competitive position
SG would be one dimensional shooters
SF would be the strongest and then again Kawhi would be in a world of troubles if he becomes the focus of the defense
Frontline wouldn't have a defensive anchor, would be extremely small most of the time is Pop is still the coach...

therealtruth
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
I think they said it on Inside the NBA, a system is for players that can't play. If you can play you don't need a system.

spurraider21
02-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I would guess something like Philadelphia of the past couple of years (before this season). Somewhere around .500. Would be a playoff team in the east, somewhere like the #10 or 9 team in the West. Now if we could use the remaining 25 mil or so of the cap to fill the roster with NBA talent it would be a playoff team

dbreiden83080
02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
.500 or a little better.. Pop would get the most out of the team..