PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin

cantthinkofanything
02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Hadn't listened to them in a while but for the last couple of nights, have put on the headphones and played the box set on shuffle. Can't overrate this band. Maybe one of the highest ratios of good songs to bad songs ever. Brilliant.

Leetonidas
02-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Indeed. They have good range

redzero
02-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Pink Floyd is way better.

Leetonidas
02-25-2013, 11:42 PM
^true

cantthinkofanything
02-26-2013, 12:44 AM

balderdash!

CubanSucks
02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
I love both but Pink Floyd a little more. But as balli once said, both bands are for adolescents venturing out into the music world for the first time. :depressed

Spur|n|Austin
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Led Zeppelin = Pink Floyd :downspin:

Viva Las Espuelas
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I like them both but prefer Zeppelin more. Zeppelin is more dynamic of a band where Floyd really only has one speed. Plus Floyd didn't have Bonzo.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Robert Plant's voice can get annoying after awhile, whereas Waters/Barrett/Gilmore don't screech

BobaFett1
02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Led Zep>Pink

FuzzyLumpkins
02-26-2013, 09:45 PM

fOi2nVB31GM

FuzzyLumpkins
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I like them both but prefer Zeppelin more. Zeppelin is more dynamic of a band where Floyd really only has one speed. Plus Floyd didn't have Bonzo.

Yeah because Piper's is so much like Umma so much like Animals so much like Dark Side so much like the Wall so much like Momentary Lapse.

I love Zeppelin but they did a whole lot of standard blues progressions and fills just at 130 bpm. Sure they would mix in D'yer or some brogue but they had a very specific formula.

JudynTX
02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
My favorite song to veg out too. :tu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dvrir5kig&feature=share&list=PLC14DF2A84E1FFCD4

leemajors
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Plant's voice grates on my nerves now, I can't listen to them much anymore. I really want to see Beware of Mr. Baker, he says some hilarious shit about John Bohnam.

IronMexican
02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
I love both but Pink Floyd a little more. But as balli once said, both bands are for adolescents venturing out into the music world for the first time. :depressed

It's true. Both are just sort of a gateway for other music.

CuckingFunt
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Both bands are, in my opinion, waaaaaaaaaay overrated.

CubanSucks
02-27-2013, 08:59 PM
It's true. Both are just sort of a gateway for other music.

No shit. They're a gateway in the same way Kubrick and David Lean are, they're older and iconic so most people hear/watch them before anything else. That doesn't take anything away from their prestige

FuzzyLumpkins
02-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Both bands are, in my opinion, waaaaaaaaaay overrated.

Spoken like a true hipster.

CuckingFunt
02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Spoken like a true hipster.

Yeah, probably.

Though I'd stipulate that my opinion in this case isn't just half-hearted posturing.

z0sa
02-28-2013, 12:55 AM
I definitely prefer Floyd (like others said, mainly because of Plant's at times ridiculous vocals, and not in a good sense either) but I could never get enough of Jimmy Page's guitar work.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Yeah, probably.

Though I'd stipulate that my opinion in this case isn't just half-hearted posturing.

At least you didn't try to compare them to Godspeed or Battles.

I am kind of confused how you can overrate a band. If you don't like them as much as other people do then that is one thing. This is not like sports though where you can say 'the Lakers are overrated' and then they lose over projections. If you want an objective measure, if either band were somehow to reform and play then they would mot likely sell out stadiums with $150 GA tickets. The Stones have been doing that for decades.

Do you think that people that like Floyd and LZ a lot have bad taste or something?

Mark in Austin
02-28-2013, 04:26 AM
No Quarter (not quite Zeppelin but close - just Plant & Page doing some re-worked Zeppelin songs with a Moroccan influence) is probably one of my top 5 favorite albums ever. How The West Was Won is an amazing live album - especially the acoustic stuff.

J.T.
02-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I remember the first time I smoked pot too.

CuckingFunt
02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
At least you didn't try to compare them to Godspeed or Battles.

I am kind of confused how you can overrate a band. If you don't like them as much as other people do then that is one thing. This is not like sports though where you can say 'the Lakers are overrated' and then they lose over projections. If you want an objective measure, if either band were somehow to reform and play then they would mot likely sell out stadiums with $150 GA tickets. The Stones have been doing that for decades.

Oh, I understand what you're getting at. Liking or not liking a band is entirely a matter of personal taste and is wholly subjective. Especially when dealing with two bands who are, admittedly, quite hard to fault in terms of their talent and musicianship; both would likely fare quite well when tested against whatever objective measures one could use to gauge a band's quality and success.

When I say that Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd are overrated, it's not meant to question their inherent goodness or to suggest that the people who have rated them so highly are objectively wrong. Rather, it is a reaction to the fact that I don't hear whatever it is that other people think is so special; neither band particularly moves me. It is all a matter of personal taste, of course, which is ultimately infallible. I don't think I'm right for finding them boring, and I don't think anyone else is wrong for finding them amazing.

Do you think that people that like Floyd and LZ a lot have bad taste or something?

No. I just think they have different taste than I do.

ohmwrecker
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Sure. If you are a stoned, teenaged virgin.

rascal
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't listen to either.

redzero
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Sure. If you are a stoned, teenaged virgin.

Yeah, because this definitely doesn't apply to fans of both bands.

JoeChalupa
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
One of my favorite bands of all time. To say they are overrated is just a matter of opinion. Today's music is waaaaaaaaaay overrated.
Could also be a generational thing. Classic Rock rules!

ohmwrecker
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, because this definitely doesn't apply to fans of both bands.

True, but there is an opportunity for sex with Zeppelin. Nobody wants to have sex listening to songs about mommy and daddy not loving them. If you do, something has gone horribly wrong.

redzero
02-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Shout out to Joe Chalupa for stating the obvious yet again.

True, but there is an opportunity for sex with Zeppelin. Nobody wants to have sex listening to songs about mommy and daddy not loving them. If you do, something has gone horribly wrong.

...then don't have sex while listening to Pink Floyd. Seems like a simple solution.

This is almost as bad as the "I like X more than Y because you can dance to X!" justification.

CubanSucks
02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
...then don't have sex while listening to Pink Floyd. Seems like a simple solution.

This is almost as bad as the "I like X more than Y because you can dance to X!" justification.

I'd say this is way worse considering HE'S the one sounding like a virgin teenager for desperately bringing sex into this.

"Bro, have you ever tried fucking a chick to Floyd?! Just doesn't work. At least with Zeppelin I can pound some pussy!"

ohmwrecker
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
lol "desperately"

I didn't bring up the debate and I never said I did not like Pink Floyd. I just brought up a distinctive difference between the two. although I do prefer Barrett era Floyd. I just kind of outgrew post Barrett Floyd, honestly.

z0sa
03-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Ummm pink floyds great gig in the sky was voted the best song to fuck to. Not recently but and not any floyd member singing but still..

z0sa
03-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Also pretty dsotm was the best album to fuck to. Not so sure about that one though

redzero
03-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Plus the sex scene from The Departed had the Van Morrison version of Comfortably Numb playing.

CubanSucks
03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Plus the sex scene from The Departed had the Van Morrison version of Comfortably Numb playing.

I was gonna bring up Comfortably Numb but he did talk about the lyrics not being sexy and even though paying attention to lyrics during sex is retarded he's not wrong

Medvedenko
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Led Zeppelin while a great band stole a shit load of music from other artists and musicians and called it their own. IMO, they're the best cover band of all time.
A lot of their hits were reworked blues songs they claimed their own and even after a long legal battle had to pay royalties. Real Talk.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
The blues genre as a whole pretty much steal from everyone. There's 12 bar blues and rhythm changes. All pretty follow the same chord progressions only in different keys.

ohmwrecker
03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I was gonna bring up Comfortably Numb but he did talk about the lyrics not being sexy and even though paying attention to lyrics during sex is retarded he's not wrong

That's one song. If you can finish your business (not to mention satisfying your partner) in under 5 minutes, I guess you deserve some kind of award or something.
Listen, if you guys really get turned on listening to Pink Floyd, more power to you. I made a completely innocuous comment about how someone might make a distinction between the two bands. It's just a joke.
You guys get pretty wound up about weird shit. Light up a J, put on some headphones and listen to Dark Side. Chill out.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Zepplin is probably my favorite band of all time.

redzero
03-01-2013, 11:10 PM
That's one song. If you can finish your business (not to mention satisfying your partner) in under 5 minutes, I guess you deserve some kind of award or something.
Listen, if you guys really get turned on listening to Pink Floyd, more power to you. I made a completely innocuous comment about how someone might make a distinction between the two bands. It's just a joke.
You guys get pretty wound up about weird shit. Light up a J, put on some headphones and listen to Dark Side. Chill out.

You're really projecting.

ohmwrecker
03-02-2013, 09:53 AM
You're really projecting.

You are over analyzing as per usual.

Proxy
03-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Fucking compatibility... the true determinant of a band's worth

Proxy
03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
In all seriousness, both bands are as solid as it gets for the era and genre. They deserve that respect regardless of taste, imho.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Robert Plant's voice can get annoying after awhile, whereas Waters/Barrett/Gilmore don't screech
Good point, I agree :tu. Pink Floyd is the shit, both are top notch bands.

mojorizen7
03-02-2013, 07:04 PM
The blues genre as a whole pretty much steal from everyone. There's 12 bar blues and rhythm changes. All pretty follow the same chord progressions only in different keys.

Exactly. To single out Led Zep as a band who simply stole from the 12 bar blues and turned up the volume is an ignorant stance that has always bothered me. The majority of the rock,metal,country music we've heard for decades owe's itself to black music pre 80's.

The blues progressed, and bands like Black Sabbath and Zeppelin simply pushed it forward. Hard rock/metal/whatever was born.

Samuel Eto'o
03-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I remember the first time I smoked pot

Yeah we all do. You talked about it on ST for weeks...

J.T.
03-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah we all do. You talked about it on ST for weeks...

Nah dude you're thinking of like Trainwreck or Leetonidas

mrsmaalox
03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
I prefer Pink Floyd; Led Zeppelin is okay but I get bored with it real fast.

Led Zeppelin is for hot, horny animalistic fucking. Pink Floyd is for intense, soul aching fucking.

ALVAREZ6
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I prefer Pink Floyd; Led Zeppelin is okay but I get bored with it real fast.

Led Zeppelin is for hot, horny animalistic fucking. Pink Floyd is for intense, soul aching fucking.
:wtf :wtf :wtf

where did the notion of fucking to music begin? I don't think i've ever played music in the background for the intent of fucking to it...especially classic rock.

mrsmaalox
03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
:wtf :wtf :wtf

where did the notion of fucking to music begin? I don't think i've ever played music in the background for the intent of fucking to it...especially classic rock.

Well I haven't actually done it myself, I was just going by the themes of some of the songs :lol

cantthinkofanything
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Well I haven't actually done it myself, I was just going by the themes of some of the songs :lol

I always put on Immigrant Song and time my lovemaking so that right before climax, I lift my arms to the sky and join Plant in proclaiming, "Valhalla I am coming!"

Or I just finish silently in an old tub sock.

cantthinkofanything
03-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Why dude gangsters always nut in socks?

then you stretch out the sock and putted on the head of you hoe and make her wear dat jizzy sock hat around for a day or so
it show her who the boss beedid