PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs Better Equipped To Win it All Now?

Tbiggums47
02-26-2013, 06:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8976099

racm
02-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Better D. They have no one to guard the refs though.

BobaFett1
02-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Better D. They have no one to guard the refs though.

I am not to worried about Stern refs. Spurs just need to play one game at a time.

justinandimcool
02-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Good points by all 3 of these clowns. Funny how smart ESPN analysts seem when it's not the same teams and arguments forced down your throat.

-Great point about OKC playing near perfect basketball to take homecourt advantage. Like they said, not sure lightning can strike twice with Martin instead of Harden, nor can I see it with similar teams like Houston or GSW.

-Green is better than last year. Kawhi is much better than last year. Tiago is much better than last year. Not to mention Tim and Tony being better too. They touched on Manu's decline balancing that out, but the development of those three guys is pretty much the reason there's so much hope even from the worst cliffjumpers.

-It comes down to the two BIGGEST reasons we lost other than lucky long twos- Who's gonna stop Durant, and who's gonna step up when Sefolosha inevitably smothers TP for a long stretch. I think we're equipped, but IMO it's a toss up right now.

AussieFanKurt
02-26-2013, 06:52 AM
earvin says the cliche shit... its not just TP, Manu and Duncan... we need everyone to play well fuck

racm
02-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Worth noting that the Spurs are 1-1 against OKC so far this season, and the loss came when Kawhi was out and the game was at OKC.

I remember KL coming up with a clutch steal late in the win against these guys.

AussieFanKurt
02-26-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm worried about KD and a similar reffing display last year in game 6 but certainly not concerned about froggy, someone should just get under his skin and he'll crack and throw a tantrum again

Uriel
02-26-2013, 07:06 AM
If Pop hadn't screwed up the rotation in Game 5 and just stuck with what worked, we'd be looking at a 6-game series in our favor. Bill Simmons seems to believe (as many Spurs fans do) that this series was one the Spurs had lost, not one the Thunder won. In fact, I'm almost certain that in the parallel universes that also featured an SA - OKC WCF, the Spurs came out on top more often than the Thunder.

Consequently, it follows that people who are declaring the OKC superior to the Spurs are blowing things out of proportion, and overanalyzing what essentially amounts to what Bill Simmons himself termed a "fluke."

BobaFett1
02-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Also Westbrook is gonna be downfall of the Thunder. Guy is not a leader or a true point guard/Brooks is not a good coach.

KL2
02-26-2013, 07:13 AM
The one guy I'm worried about the most is Ibaka, the guy does not miss and we've got nobody to stop him.

BobaFett1
02-26-2013, 07:19 AM
The one guy I'm worried about the most is Ibaka, the guy does not miss and we've got nobody to stop him.

But Ibaka is he worthy enough to carry a big load for the Thunder in the playoffs? Guy is good no doubt but Thunder lacks command of a point guard to distrbute the ball for a effiecent offense. I think S.A. has more bang for the buck.

Mal
02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I`m so worried about refs. They are excellent in screwing team they want. They did it perfectly in sunday`s game LAL @ DAL.

OKC is perfect team to playin 8-5 ball. Young, aggresive, overhyped, good FT shooting. Plus they play tough defense inside, great weak side help blocker in Ibaka. And they are good enough to win games without help. I`ve watched to many of this kind of shit, to not see what is going.

Spurs are good. Leonard, Splitter developed a lot, Duncan is fresh, Parker is in god mode. Jax and Manu are vets, who can jump on higher level of efficency in April, May.

I am not worried about any team in West, except maybe Memphis and Thunderefs. Memphis wont get help from refs. Clippers, Nuggets wont win 4 out of 7 vs Spurs with game 7 in SA.

mrjap2x
02-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Can we use the trick billups used against danny. Baynes can certainly do better than chauncey.

racm
02-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Splitter could play him well. I think he's our best guy to defend the quicker bigs in the league.

But Pop doesn't think a midrange pick and pop is worth contesting anyway since it's not a 3 or a shot at the rim.

Captivus
02-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I'm worried about KD and a similar reffing display last year in game 6 but certainly not concerned about froggy, someone should just get under his skin and he'll crack and throw a tantrum again

I said it before, that would be my plan. Just talk him out of the game, psych-out!

AFBlue
02-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Two keys to victory...

1) Better defense. Chase guys off the 3pt line or of their spots (Ibaka FT line jumper) and make them uncomfortable. Spurs didn't do enough of that last year and they hit all their set shots.

2) Parker beating his man off the dribble or screens, whether it's Thabo or Westbrick. If he can't do that consistently, then the Spurs are screwed.

John B
02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Spurs need to play a Bowenesque defense to throw Westbrook's game off. SJ also needs to shove KD around. Thunders are athletic. we have to slow it down, make it a grind game instead of a running one, I think we have a better chance.

spurspokesman
02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Im going to say this once and for all. " Harden is gone". So yes the spurs will beat okc if it comes down to it.

pgardn
02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
They are so much fun to watch I seem to find myself just enjoying the teamwork.

Tiago has taken a huge step forward on both ends. Leonard is now asserting himself... We are a better team, especially defensively.

I am interested to see how the team responds in the playoffs when teams put full attention on Parker and start beating him up throughout a series.

exstatic
02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Worth noting that the Spurs are 1-1 against OKC so far this season, and the loss came when Kawhi was out and the game was at OKC.

I remember KL coming up with a clutch steal late in the win against these guys.

The win was also without Manu.

exstatic
02-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Two keys to victory...

1) Better defense. Chase guys off the 3pt line or of their spots (Ibaka FT line jumper) and make them uncomfortable. Spurs didn't do enough of that last year and they hit all their set shots.

2) Parker beating his man off the dribble or screens, whether it's Thabo or Westbrick. If he can't do that consistently, then the Spurs are screwed.
The were able to cover Tony with Thabo because they had Harden to cover Manu. One other big difference between Harden and Martin is that Martin is basically a passive, disinterested defender. They'll have to put Thabo on Manu when both he and Tony are in the game, meaning crunch time.

Seventyniner
02-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I'll have to look into this a little more, but the "improved defense" schtick might not actually be true.

Last year, the Thunder were 11th in defensive efficiency, while he Spurs were 10th. It was basically a tie.
This year, the Thunder are 8th and the Spurs are 3rd. Yay! .....maybe

Remember that last season was basically two mini-seasons for the Spurs: before and after the acquisitions of Jax and Diaw. Last year's Spurs were 10th in defense over the whole year, but given the absolute tear they went on after the trade deadline, I'd have to think they were better than 10th on defense after that. I'd be really grateful if someone could either look up those numbers or tell me how to do it. My hypothesis is that the Spurs' defense this year is about the same as it was post-deadline last year, meaning that this year's team is not appreciably better than the one that finished last season.

That said, the Spurs were really, really good at the end of last season and there's no shame in not improving from that. Also, the Thunder will be easier to beat in the playoffs because Harden to Kevin Martin is a significant downgrade no matter how you slice it.

I have said many times that I believe last year's WCF result was an upset, and I still believe that. If the Spurs can get back to the WCF against OC, especially with home court, I really like the Spurs' chances.

Strategic
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm a little more concerned about the state of the Eastern conference. While the Spurs will be trudging through the Western conference playoffs, I don't see anyone being able to extent the Heat to a seven game series. I'm afraid they will be waiting with a weeks rest for whichever team comes out of the West. If it's the Spurs, Stern will be more than happy to make it as short of a turn around as possible.

callo1
02-26-2013, 08:50 AM
The biggest test will be when the system breaks down...got to have that guy that can make it happen.

racm
02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
The win was also without Manu.

Manu was out both games, actually.

racm
02-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I'll have to look into this a little more, but the "improved defense" schtick might not actually be true.

Last year, the Thunder were 11th in defensive efficiency, while he Spurs were 10th. It was basically a tie.

Remember that last season was basically two mini-seasons for the Spurs: before and after the acquisitions of Jax and Diaw. Last year's Spurs were 10th in defense over the whole year, but given the absolute tear they went on after the trade deadline, I'd have to think they were better than 10th on defense after that. I'd be really grateful if someone could either look up those numbers or tell me how to do it. My hypothesis is that the Spurs' defense this year is about the same as it was post-deadline last year, meaning that this year's team is not appreciably better than the one that finished last season.

That said, the Spurs were really, really good at the end of last season and there's no shame in not improving from that. Also, the Thunder will be easier to beat in the playoffs because Harden to Kevin Martin is a significant downgrade no matter how you slice it.

I have said many times that I believe last year's WCF result was an upset, and I still believe that. If the Spurs can get back to the WCF against OC, especially with home court, I really like the Spurs' chances.

3 point line defense?

I think the big difference is that last season's squad went on a tear buoyed by being lights out offensively and being pretty okay on defense. Final scores were closer to 120-100 than what we see now, closer to 105-90, and that's considering the pace has remained more or less constant.

rascal
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
It is the same team as last year with an upgrade to Splitter and a decline in Jackson and Manu.

superbigtime
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Splitter's improved play will make the difference, as will Kawhi's progression and absence of Harden. But if Spurs struggle with FG% (Bonner, Green, Neal), it's a tossup.

thispego
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I am not to worried about Stern refs. Spurs just need to play one game at a time.

You're foolish then

pookenstein
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
1. Can Tiago ramain nearly as effective at the line in the Playoffs as he is in the RS?
2. Can Green make his 3's or will he be in a slump?

To me these two are the biggest things the Spurs have to accomplish if we want to beat them. If the Big3 don't suck and both Tiago and Danny can step up we'll be good.

Seventyniner
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
3 point line defense?

I think the big difference is that last season's squad went on a tear buoyed by being lights out offensively and being pretty okay on defense. Final scores were closer to 120-100 than what we see now, closer to 105-90, and that's considering the pace has remained more or less constant.

I wanted to find the post-deadline numbers for things like opponent eFG%, defensive efficiency, etc. but your point is valid; looking up raw points scored and allowed is far easier to calculate.

racm
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
1. Can Tiago ramain nearly as effective at the line in the Playoffs as he is in the RS?
2. Can Green make his 3's or will he be in a slump?

To me these two are the biggest things the Spurs have to accomplish if we want to beat them. If the Big3 don't suck and both Tiago and Danny can step up we'll be good.

More like "will his cold streak coincide with the WCF again". He's more of an uber-streaky guy than Matt Bonner.

pookenstein
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
More like "will his cold streak coincide with the WCF again". He's more of an uber-streaky guy than Matt Bonner.

Yep, that's what I meant.

Mel_13
02-26-2013, 11:00 AM

I wanted to find the post-deadline numbers for things like opponent eFG%, defensive efficiency, etc. but your point is valid; looking up raw points scored and allowed is far easier to calculate.

I don't know where to get the advanced stats, but you can use the filters on basketball reference to get opp FG% and opp 3P% and other counting data. The numbers point to a conclusion that the Spurs were, as you suspect, better defensively after acquiring Jack and Diaw. They have also, contrary to your hypothesis, markedly improved their defense this year when compared to the post-deadline numbers.

Using opp FG% and 3p% as two useful metrics and dividing last season into three 22 game sections (game 21 was the Dallas game where the bench played the 4th quarter and overtime; game 45 was Diaw's first game and Jack's third game):

Games 1-22: .456/.339
Games 23-44: .452/.381
Games 45-66: .447.335

2012-13: .439/325

Here's an example of one of the searches:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&lg_id=NBA&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&team_id=SAS&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=team&game_num_min=45&game_num_max=66&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=opp_fg_pct

EricB
02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
The were able to cover Tony with Thabo because they had Harden to cover Manu. One other big difference between Harden and Martin is that Martin is basically a passive, disinterested defender. They'll have to put Thabo on Manu when both he and Tony are in the game, meaning crunch time.

Exactly what I have been saying. They could only afford Thabo on Parker cause of Harden.

Seventyniner
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I don't know where to get the advanced stats, but you can use the filters on basketball reference to get opp FG% and opp 3P% and other counting data. The numbers point to a conclusion that the Spurs were, as you suspect, better defensively after acquiring Jack and Diaw. They have also, contrary to your hypothesis, markedly improved their defense this year when compared to the post-deadline numbers.

Using opp FG% and 3p% as two useful metrics and dividing last season into three 22 game sections (game 21 was the Dallas game where the bench played the 4th quarter and overtime; game 45 was Diaw's first game and Jack's third game):

Games 1-22: .456/.339
Games 23-44: .452/.381
Games 45-66: .447.335

2012-13: .439/325

Thanks Mel. That is great stuff. :toast

Next week when I get back to my computer (as opposed to posting on my phone as I am now) I'll play around with those queries. It will really help with my followup stats post I plan to do in the next couple of weeks.

So the Spurs really have improved, even from the end of last season. The difference is remarkable, really. I think it's fair to compare OC's full season stats from last year to this year due to a lack of major mid-season moves either year. They're a good bit better on offense and slightly improved on defense, but the Spurs' defensive improvement is far greater.

look_at_g_shred
02-26-2013, 11:13 AM

This is a very good point my friend..

racm
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Next week when I get back to my computer (as opposed to posting on my phone as I am now) I'll play around with those queries. It will really help with my followup stats post I plan to do in the next couple of weeks.

So the Spurs really have improved, even from the end of last season. The difference is remarkable, really. I think it's fair to compare OC's full season stats from last year to this year due to a lack of major mid-season moves either year. They're a good bit better on offense and slightly improved on defense, but the Spurs' defensive improvement is far greater.

And IIRC they're even better at drawing fouls this season.

emanueldavidginobili
02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Im liking our chances, TP Tiago Danny and Kawhi are all better this season and Duncan is also playing well, and I know Manu has got older but when it comes playoff time hes going to be going all out knowing it could be his last playoffs, even against the Thunder last year he had 20 and 26 in game one and two wins and went off for 34 in a big pivotal game 5 that we should have one but Harden hit that ridiculous shot. And Harden meant ALOT to that team especially in crunch time and getting to the free throw line and also defensively, he was also sort of the PG at times when RW couldn't handle it to make plays for his teammates

wildbill2u
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
We're probably a better team than last year--but other teams have improved. It all comes down to whether other teams will be able to shut down TP by shutting down the lane and clogging his passing lanes.

I'm not crazy about relying on Green, Diaw and Kwahi hitting the kick out 3. That's the OKC strategy that killed us last year. They said if we were going to win it wouldn't be because of TP. No one could step up and TP kept trying to do the impossible against a stacked lane defense.

aal04
02-26-2013, 06:17 PM
The biggest improvements we have this year is also the same for OKC.

Our unproven younguns got a lot of experience.

Green, Kawi, Splitter and also KD, WB, Ibaka.

I think we are probably worse off vs OKC than last year. Harden v Kmart + Fisher plus valuable experience. But we should have beaten them last year whereas this year its a toss up. its not a lost cause, i think it will come down to whos hot on the night.

Also Miami got better as well. They are still gelling and they acquired some nice signings.

Not saying we are worse, im saying we are better, but so are the opposition and i can see the odds very similar to last year. ie - Wouldnt be surprised if we get eliminated in the wcf and wouldnt be surprised if we win a ring.

Its close

racm
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
We're probably a better team than last year--but other teams have improved. It all comes down to whether other teams will be able to shut down TP by shutting down the lane and clogging his passing lanes.

I'm not crazy about relying on Green, Diaw and Kwahi hitting the kick out 3. That's the OKC strategy that killed us last year. They said if we were going to win it wouldn't be because of TP. No one could step up and TP kept trying to do the impossible against a stacked lane defense.

Fwiw the Spurs are less reliant on the 3 ball this season. I see the offense incorporates more cuts (hi Jerry Sloan!) than before.

Russ
02-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Jack effectively defending LeBron for a stretch to everyone's amazement.

Neal hitting huge shots in swing games ala Mario Ellie, Steve Kerr, Jaren Jackson, Jerome Kersey, Horry, etc.

To beat the Heat (if they can get past OKC), the Spurs will need unexpected contributions from guys out to make a name.

I could even see DeJuan Blair with some eye-popping out-of-the-blue contribution in the course of a successful playoff run.

But interior D will likely be the key. Duncan, Splitter, etc. need to protect the hoop allowing the other defenders to radiate out and wreak havoc on the athletic guys who always kill the Spurs in the playoffs (like Westbrook). Like it or not (given his fragile state), Duncan remains the key.

therealtruth
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Fwiw the Spurs are less reliant on the 3 ball this season. I see the offense incorporates more cuts (hi Jerry Sloan!) than before.

They should have been doing that since forever. It shouldn't have taken recent playoff loses for Pop to realize that. The same thing happened to us in '04 when we lost 4 straight. We were able to make up for it in the past because of Tim's dominance down low. In '04 Malone's defense on him prevented him from having his usual effect. Teams have been using the same blueprint because it works.

benstanfield
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
LBJ might just be unstoppable right now. In crunch time his possessions end in points, assists or free throws.

Kawhi is a year older but so is Jack. Beating KD and then Lebron is a TALL order.

Richie
02-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Beating the Heat is all about Timmy/Tiago. Pop needs to find a defensive scheme that allows us to keep them both on the floor instead of matching up small with the Heat. If we can do that, we can beat the Heat.

If we can't, then Timmy has to carry us alone. If we win, it will likely have to be a reverse of 2007. Tony will be the best playoff player, but Timmy will have to win the Finals MVP. Pound the ball inside to Timmy against Bosh and hope he can carry us to 4 wins out of 7. Inside is where we have the big match up advantage against the Heat, and we need to use it.

BatManu20
02-27-2013, 12:11 AM
LBJ might just be unstoppable right now. In crunch time his possessions end in points, assists or free throws.

Kawhi is a year older but so is Jack. Beating KD and then Lebron is a TALL order.

This. It's not that the Spurs are lacking a key component to win it all, it's jut that they don't have the best player on the planet on their team. That's why I think that even if we made it the to Finals, we'd lose to Miami. Lebron's in God mode right now, and there's really nothing anyone can do to stop him (he had 40 pts and 16 dimes tonight). Then you factor in Wade and Bosh who are both having career years this year, combined with a plethora of 3-point shooters on that team, and there's nobody that can beat them in a 7 game series imo. Barring an injury to one of their big 3, the Heat are winning the Championship this year imho.

TD 21
02-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Beating the Heat is all about Timmy/Tiago. Pop needs to find a defensive scheme that allows us to keep them both on the floor instead of matching up small with the Heat. If we can do that, we can beat the Heat.

If we can't, then Timmy has to carry us alone. If we win, it will likely have to be a reverse of 2007. Tony will be the best playoff player, but Timmy will have to win the Finals MVP. Pound the ball inside to Timmy against Bosh and hope he can carry us to 4 wins out of 7. Inside is where we have the big match up advantage against the Heat, and we need to use it.

Not with the Heat currently starting a more conventional lineup (Haslem replacing Battier), he doesn't. In fact, this plays right into the Spurs hands, because it allows them to have Duncan defend Haslem and Splitter defend Bosh. That kills two birds with one stone, in that it means Duncan doesn't have to defend the pick and pop (against the best mid range shooter in the league, to boot) and that he can mostly stay within' the shadow of the basket, since Haslem's once reliable mid range shot has abandoned him post foot injury. I'd expect Spoelstra to relent and start Battier in game 3.

I agree with you though that Duncan is the key to the series. If he's the Duncan pre injury and he can extrapolate that performance over something like 38 mpg, the Spurs probably win.

As for James, as historically great as he's playing, I don't know that any player is "unstoppable". People claim Jordan was in his prime, but the reality is, he never faced a great team in the Finals. The Jazz were probably the best of the bunch and they were very, very good, but they weren't as good as this Spurs team, nor were they uniquely suited to attack the Bulls weaknesses the way this Spurs team is the Heat's. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Man In Black
02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
God mode needed double ot to get past Sacramento... today at home.

I'll take TP going demi-god mode plus TEAM ball against them or OKC.
I, for one, ain't going to prematurely give the Heat the LOB.

therealtruth
02-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Not with the Heat currently starting a more conventional lineup (Haslem replacing Battier), he doesn't. In fact, this plays right into the Spurs hands, because it allows them to have Duncan defend Haslem and Splitter defend Bosh. That kills two birds with one stone, in that it means Duncan doesn't have to defend the pick and pop (against the best mid range shooter in the league, to boot) and that he can mostly stay within' the shadow of the basket, since Haslem's once reliable mid range shot has abandoned him post foot injury. I'd expect Spoelstra to relent and start Battier in game 3.

I agree with you though that Duncan is the key to the series. If he's the Duncan pre injury and he can extrapolate that performance over something like 38 mpg, the Spurs probably win.

As for James, as historically great as he's playing, I don't know that any player is "unstoppable". People claim Jordan was in his prime, but the reality is, he never faced a great team in the Finals. The Jazz were probably the best of the bunch and they were very, very good, but they weren't as good as this Spurs team, nor were they uniquely suited to attack the Bulls weaknesses the way this Spurs team is the Heat's. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

What Bull's weaknesses would that be? It's always hard to compare different eras.

therealtruth
02-27-2013, 06:07 AM

Pretty much. The Spurs have to close of the paint and keep Lebron/Wade on the perimeter and then get low post scoring themselves.

TrainOfThought5
02-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Much Much Much easier said than done.

pgardn
02-27-2013, 08:21 AM

This is a nice thing to look at and make one feel comfy.

But if one actually uses the eye, it appears evident to this poster that teams are having to take and sometimes make tougher shots against us compared to last year. This is an opinion that I feel comfortable stating even if the numbers look fairly similar.

Do the stats filter junk-time, for example, or we just have to assume junk-time is similar year to year?

TJastal
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Ppl are overrating the heat, they can be beaten by a physical team that can match their athleticism. Hell all it ok for the mavericks to get into their heads was a couple bench guys named "the custodian" and mahinmi to put a few hard fouls on these soft prima donnas and they folded. :lol

TJastal
02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Pretty much. The Spurs have to close of the paint and keep Lebron/Wade on the perimeter and then get low post scoring themselves.

Except... if the spurs make it to the finals this year they won't be playing the heat. The guys they will need to stop will be named George, Hill, Granger, & West.

look_at_g_shred
02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Except... if the spurs make it to the finals this year they won't be playing the heat. The guys they will need to stop will be named George, Hill, Granger, & West.

In that case, game over!

dbreiden83080
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Better equipped to beat OKC but the Heat are also better...

dbreiden83080
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
This. It's not that the Spurs are lacking a key component to win it all, it's jut that they don't have the best player on the planet on their team. That's why I think that even if we made it the to Finals, we'd lose to Miami. Lebron's in God mode right now, and there's really nothing anyone can do to stop him (he had 40 pts and 16 dimes tonight). Then you factor in Wade and Bosh who are both having career years this year, combined with a plethora of 3-point shooters on that team, and there's nobody that can beat them in a 7 game series imo. Barring an injury to one of their big 3, the Heat are winning the Championship this year imho.

This is probably true but man oh man do i want to play them. Just give the Spurs the chance..

spurraider21
02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Its pretty crazy. Coming into the season (before the Harden deal, after the Lakers big moves) Spur fan wasn't feeling particularly great. Outside of Nando, no roster moves had been made, and we weren't crazy high on Nando anyway, so the only real hope was for some serious internal improvement. Surprisingly, that's EXACTLY what we've gotten. Kawhi has taken a noticeable step, Green is shooting a high percentage, but on way more attempts per game than last year, Tiago has been bumped into the starting lineup and has been a huge part of our suddenly elite defense, Tony has improved upon his MVP caliber season last year, Tim seemingly aged backwards (hope he returns to form within next 2-3 weeks though), and oh, yeah, did I mention our defense is elite again?

Definitely stronger than last year.

Johnny RIngo
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
With Lebron playing at near-GOAT levels and Wade coming back in a big way the past few weeks...Doubt it. Their first option AND second option are better than our best player(Parker) which makes it an uphill battle. Spurs have defense on their side but playoff history has shown a team can only go as far as their stars can take them and point guards don't traditionally lead teams to a title. If Duncan continued to play like he did at the beginning of the year and Ginobili was able to play more than 25 mins a game, we'd have a chance imo. Duncan will bring it in the post-season but I'm having doubts about Ginobili.

will_spurs
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
My question would actually be different: is OKC as likely to make it to the WCF as last year? I'm not so sure about that. Last year people were saying the West was wide open, but actually the top 2 teams were very clear (OKC and the Spurs combined for only one loss in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs). I'm not so sure it's the case again this year, and it's likely OKC will have to face the Clippers in the 2nd round.

Johnny RIngo
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
My question would actually be different: is OKC as likely to make it to the WCF as last year? I'm not so sure about that. Last year people were saying the West was wide open, but actually the top 2 teams were very clear (OKC and the Spurs combined for only one loss in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs). I'm not so sure it's the case again this year, and it's likely OKC will have to face the Clippers in the 2nd round.

OKC will play the Clippers and we'll play the Grizzlies. It's not like either matchup will be a cakewalk. I don't see the Thunder having much trouble with the Clippers tbqh.

look_at_g_shred
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
The only player who was able to check Manu in the OKC series last year was Harden. I'm curious to see if OKC has a way to stop Manu's penetration this year. I doubt Martin will be able to handle that task. The two games we've played OKC this year, manu's been out. I think the Splitter/Manu P-n-R could be deadly between the two. So say they put Thabo on Manu and he's able to hinder his game. That means Parker can have his way with westbrook/jackson/brewer. I also think Splitter can have his way in the paint as opposed to last year. I believe the learning experience Leonard had in last year's series will pay off big time. Now that he's gained some confidence, I see him going at Durant and making him work on the defensive end of the court, and that in itself can payoff. He's likely not to be the sharpshooter we know if he expends all of his energy on our side of the court. All that being said, we can't go into that series (if it happens) thinking we can beat OKC with just parker carrying the load. It's got to be a team effort. All Green, Neal, Bonner, and Blair have to do is hit their shots when they take them, and they don't have to take alot. If we do that, we got a hell of a shot!!

Budkin
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes, much more so. Better D and Tiago is killin it. TP is playing the best ball of his career as well. The only thing that concerns me is his ability to deal with solving the issue when he is guarded by bigger guards.

TD 21
02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
What Bull's weaknesses would that be? It's always hard to compare different eras.

They were thin in the middle and running on their fumes fumes, two things the Jazz weren't equipped to exploit (they still should have beaten them though). I always felt the Spurs would have beat them in '99.

hater
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
better equiped? maybe

but nobody is beating the Heat. So it's pretty pointless

02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
not really, they made almost zero personnel changes. thunder got weaker but heat got stronger. even if the spurs miraculously get past the thunder, they better pray for a lebron injury.

Gagnrath
02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
not really, they made almost zero personnel changes. thunder got weaker but heat got stronger. even if the spurs miraculously get past the thunder, they better pray for a lebron injury.

When JeBron isn't getting permission to bulldoze to the rim without a traveling or charge call he is a fairly mediocre mid and long range shooter, he's athletic as hell, and a good passer but he really depends heavily on getting bailed out against a stout interior defense which the spurs have this year.