PDA

View Full Version : Pitino Regrets The Coaching Celtics Because They Didn't Get Duncan

Thomas82
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Pitino Regrets The Coaching Celtics Because They Didn't Get Duncan

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/february/pitino-regrets-coaching-the-celtics-because-they-didn-t-get-duncan.html

Tim Duncan ended up exactly where he was supposed to be.....point blank, period!!

ThaBigFundamental21
02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I get a strange enjoyment out of hearing this for some reason. I'm not sure how Pitino thought it was a good idea to mortgage his future and plans on getting a player the Celtics were never guaranteed to have! That's pretty foolish if you ask me. No backup plan?

racm
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
:lmao getting the chance to draft Kobe, Duncan, and Pierce and whiffing on the first two

Drachen
02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
You know what? The Spurs were the best thing to happen to Duncan too. Yeah I said it.

Think about it. If THIS was the type of guy that Duncan was going to have coaching him I am not sure that he had the career that he has had. I think that LA has the beaches and the fake boobs, New York has their "center of the universe" draw. San Antonio's competitive advantage is their organizational solidity. For a player like duncan I think that this is important.

I could be wrong, but from what we know about duncan I think this was the best situation for him.

(I must say, just in case someone misinterprets, Duncan was also the best thing to happen to san antonio since big dave.)

scanry
02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
You know what? The Spurs were the best thing to happen to Duncan too. Yeah I said it.

Think about it. If THIS was the type of guy that Duncan was going to have coaching him I am not sure that he had the career that he has had. I think that LA has the beaches and the fake boobs, New York has their "center of the universe" draw. San Antonio's competitive advantage is their organizational solidity. For a player like duncan I think that this is important.

I could be wrong, but from what we know about duncan I think this was the best situation for him.

(I must say, just in case someone misinterprets, Duncan was also the best thing to happen to san antonio since big dave.)

Not really. Without Duncan, i seriously doubt the Spurs would even be in San Antonio.

Drachen
02-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Not really. Without Duncan, i seriously doubt the Spurs would even be in San Antonio.

I disagree, but that point doesn't matter. He has had the same coach, the same owner, RC Buford has been around since he was drafted. The way the org is run is very solid, etc.

Do you think that Rick Pitino would still be Boston's head coach?

dunkman
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
They had Pierce and Joe Johnson, not bad at all.

rascal
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM

Duncan would have had a great career anywhere he went. Duncan is directly responsible for the spurs success.

rascal
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM

St. Louis Spurs

Drachen
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Duncan would have had a great career anywhere he went. Duncan is directly responsible for the spurs success.

I didn't say that he wouldn't have had a great career. He would have had a wonderful career. He would have been one of the top three PF to play the game, but I think that the stability he received here in addition to a coach who wasn't afraid to coach him pushed him farther. What other coach would have told him to play with only his left hand risking the embarrassment to his new superstar of getting owned by Greg Ostertag and Jermaine Oneal just because he wanted him to develop his game?

Not Pitino, he was looking to slide right into a great situation not to actually develop players.

ManuTastic
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Pitino is a dumbass spoiled baby.

Obstructed_View
02-26-2013, 04:13 PM

They wouldn't be. They wouldn't even have survived if he'd signed with Orlando as a free agent.

rmt
02-26-2013, 05:55 PM

This.

I didn't say that he wouldn't have had a great career. He would have had a wonderful career. He would have been one of the top three PF to play the game, but I think that the stability he received here in addition to a coach who wasn't afraid to coach him pushed him farther. What other coach would have told him to play with only his left hand risking the embarrassment to his new superstar of getting owned by Greg Ostertag and Jermaine Oneal just because he wanted him to develop his game?

Not Pitino, he was looking to slide right into a great situation not to actually develop players.

TD was pretty much NBA ready when he started - just needed to learn some tricks from playing Malone. I think he might have done even better in a big market where they could spend a lot more than SA (still can't believe they traded Scola away to get rid of Jackie Butler's contract). As TP said, Duncan would be like God in NY.

Thomas82
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Here is an excerpt from a piece I wrote 3 years ago:

Not everybody can be as lucky as a Tim Duncan or a Magic Johnson, who were lucky enough to go to teams that were winners without them (when healthy). As a matter of fact, it's possible that neither would have had the careers that they had if they went to other teams and were expected to carry the load right away. As hard as it might be, imagine if Tim Duncan would have been drafted by the Celtics instead. Instead of playing next to David Robinson, he would have been playing next to Walter McCarty or Andrew DeClerq and backed up by Pervis Ellison (a failed #1 overall pick). Imagine if Magic Johnson was drafted by the Jazz instead of the Lakers. In their last year in New Orleans, the '78-'79 season, they finished 26-56. All he would have had to play with was a declining Pistol Pete Maravich. Since he was cut midway through the '79-'80 season, that would mean it's all up to Magic Johnson to carry that team on his back. That 1977 Lakers and Jazz trade changed the whole landscape of the NBA, and so did the Spurs winning the 1997 draft lottery.

aal04
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
what a douche.

"I regret coaching celtics because i didnt get a silver platter"

What ever happened to making use of what is given to you?

Thomas82
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
I get a strange enjoyment out of hearing this for some reason. I'm not sure how Pitino thought it was a good idea to mortgage his future and plans on getting a player the Celtics were never guaranteed to have! That's pretty foolish if you ask me. No backup plan?

He tried to gravy-train his way to some championships.

+1

Russ
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Tim Duncan -- just one more guy who ain't walking through that door.

dunkman
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Pitino was simply awful as NBA coach. Players like Pierce, Billups, Bowen and Walker played for him and he missed the playoffs every season he coached the Celtics. Joe Johnson arrived the following season after he was fired, tbh.

baseline bum
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Yeah, New Orleans and Anaheim were both ready to steal the Spurs away in 98 and the 99 title is the thing that saved professional basketball in San Antonio. Unbelieveable how apathetic the city was to a team with Tim Duncan on it in the 97-98 season; that vote in 98 went down in flames when everyone kept acting like the Alamodome was some great NBA building.

Capt Bringdown
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Pitino was simply awful as NBA coach. Players like Pierce, Billups, Bowen and Walker played for him and he missed the playoffs every season he coached the Celtics. Joe Johnson arrived the following season after he was fired, tbh.

Never liked the guy and his cheesy, motivational-speaker persona.

Libri
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
No wonder he was so bitter back then and continues to be. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRik9erWgQ8

Chinook
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Duncan would not still be playing if he were on another team. Pop's done a great job preserving him. I also don't think he'd have many (if any) rings had he not gone to an organization with a winning culture, a fading but still viable star and a front office that was able to find talent despite their lack of elite draft picks or spending power.

Duncan would probably have gone to the Magic in 2000 and endured poor seasons due to Grant Hill being hurt. He probably would have languished there until at least 2004. Then, he may have gone to Dallas, Denver or Detriot, or some other team with cap space that year. He almost certainly would not have had the same stable system he's had in San Antonio for his whole career.

So would he have still been talented player? Of course. Would he be a Hall-of-Famer? Probably. But I don't think he'd have won enough to be considered a top-10 player like he is now.

He'd probably have a DPOY, though.

Russ
02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
He'd probably have a DPOY, though.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

ThaBigFundamental21
02-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Had Tim played somewhere else I guarantee his stats would be even prettier. You know some other coach would have had him playing more minutes, and being a selfish post player. Would his knee had held up? Would his career been as long, who knows? Maybe he had a PG that could create easier shots for him??? Maybe he had another quality big man to play with for longer in his career? There are so many damn variables.

Tim has always done what's best for the Spurs. He is a great dude. He has never been a me first/stat padding chump. The Spurs/Big 3 have always been amazing at not being greedy and sharing the ball. It's what has made them so good over the years. Honestly though, I'm willing to bet Tim would have close to 15k rebounds and about 28 thousand points. Not that it really matters. But I agree, he almost certainly wouldn't have as many rings.

Sean Cagney
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
:lmao getting the chance to draft Kobe, Duncan, and Pierce and whiffing on the first two

Pierce is good and a HOF, but the other two are top 10 players of all times or near it lol. BIG Difference there.

EricB
02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
There's no "might have been gone" the spurs WERE gone. New Orleans. Owenership had visited and everything.

mrjap2x
02-27-2013, 04:25 AM
There's no "might have been gone" the spurs WERE gone. New Orleans. Owenership had visited and everything.

So this great website could have been PelicanTalk?

Kool Bob Love
02-27-2013, 04:35 AM
The Spurs were never gonna leave San Antonio. Stop that.

aal04
02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
I think David Robinson had more to do with the organization than Pop.

Guy is more humble than TD.

Dave initiated it, Pop and TD just rode the wave

exstatic
02-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Can't believe BITCH-tino is still crying about this.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2013, 08:02 PM
The Spurs were never gonna leave San Antonio. Stop that.

No title, no arena; no arena, no Spurs; no Duncan, no title.