PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Sarunas Jasikevicius

timvp
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Word is Jasikevicius wants to be a starter. Some people (including some on our forum) believe that he's the best point guard in the world. He's dominated over in Europe and for the Lithuanian national team.

The Spurs almost signed him two summers ago but he couldn't get out of his contract. Perhaps he'll want to join this diverse bunch here in San Antonio, but chances are he's going somewhere to start.

A question is though, how good do you think Jasikevicius will be in the NBA? Will he bust or is he going to be a good point guard in the league?

CalsonicKansei
07-04-2005, 10:28 PM
once he finds out that parker is getting paid 66mil, we are fucked.

third post!

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Isn't Jasikevicius super slow?

I'm not sure if his game will translate well to the NBA, even though he can definitely shoot. I heard that the Pacers and Heat were both looking at him. I'm not sure who else.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2005, 10:32 PM
These teams are reportedly looking at him:

Indiana, Miami, Portland, Utah, Dallas, Boston and Cleveland

Supposedly he wants the full MLE :wow

kolko
07-04-2005, 10:38 PM
According to this article from Israel

http://www.one.co.il/cat/articles/article.aspx?id=64093&bz=4

the Celtics have offered Sarunas Jasikevicius a multi year contract.

Solid D
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Larry Bird wants Saras, but he can't make a big offer (article below in link not cut-'n-paste-able).

http://www.24sec.net/article.asp?index=2046

"I think he's the best player in Europe," Bird said. "He's one of the best competitors I've ever seen."

shyne
07-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Lets see how he shoots from an NBA 3 point line not that high school one they use in the Olympics.

timvp
07-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Where is that guy Zeleni or whatever that posts here. He says this guy is the best PG in the world and a future All-Star.

I have a feeling that he busts. Defensively, I don't see how he's going to be able to keep up.

xcoriate
07-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I think he will do fine, by no means do I think he can be the best PG but I certainly see him with the ability to start.

Basketball isn't all athletics, you can go a long way with smarts and I think he can make it.

Clandestino
07-04-2005, 11:41 PM
i don't see him being able to handle the physical nature of the nba

Solid D
07-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I think Saras is more than ready for the NBA now. He does let his emotions get the best of him sometimes, though.

leemajors
07-05-2005, 03:16 AM
nash has never been able to keep up defensively and does just fine?

zeleni
07-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Where is that guy Zeleni or whatever that posts here. He says this guy is the best PG in the world and a future All-Star.

I have a feeling that he busts. Defensively, I don't see how he's going to be able to keep up.

Sarunas is what Europe seems as best. I just claim NBA doesn't have a better PG to show up. Believe me, his defense in quite good, mostly couse this guy really wants to win. Ginobili and Sarunas are on the same page on this. When he sees, that scoring won't change, he will defend like losing it would mean the end of the world. But he is mostly assist, 3pt and fast ball player. I would like him to compliment Steve Nash. That would be wacky.

timvp, he is a success. Was a x-factor on every team he played for.

polandprzem
07-05-2005, 03:24 AM
Forget this guy.
Indiana wants him ? They can have him

Horry For 3!
07-05-2005, 03:25 AM
It'll be interesting where he goes and how he does in the NBA but I think he'll be fine.

SpizdiStrann
07-05-2005, 03:43 AM
-respect to you kori... but sometimes you just like others posters here, write about things you acctually just heard. people here express their opinion about the man, and they had seen him only one or two games. sad.. :rolleyes

Isn't Jasikevicius super slow?.
no he´s not.. he´s not so athletic like wade, but he still know how to walk.. anyway - he is quite faster than beno.. if this anything means to you.

I'm not sure if his game will translate well to the NBA, even though he can definitely shoot.
yes, becouse nba game is so complicated, that he will not be able to understand it. truth is that the best basketball players play in nba.. but the best basketball is played in euroleague. nba is far too much about muscles, speed, dunking, .. and on and on.. hell -that is not what is basketball about, and there is another way how to play this game. and saras defenitely know how to play!! more than limited tony parker, or starbury, or even your mvp steve nash.. and is he able to translate the point of basketball to nba?? not sure.. he´s not that good 3p shooter, and he can´t jump high, and he´s still slower than your fantastic PG with amazing playmaking skills tony.. but at least_ if nenad krstic can play in nba, with his limited skills... and he acctually play good.. than i´m not affraid that saras will not be nice surprise.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 03:49 AM
truth is that the best basketball players play in nba.. but the best basketball is played in euroleague. nba is far too much about muscles, speed, dunking, .. and on and on.. hell -that is not what is basketball about
:lmao

timvp
07-05-2005, 03:51 AM
We'll see how Jasikevicius plays in the NBA. Posters like SpizdiStrann and Zeleni seem to think he'll be awesome. The truth will be told on the court.

SLOVENIAN 8
07-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Hm Jasekivicius is a verry good shooter, but he is not so fast. And he will need to used to NBA . I dont know how good he would be in NBA. Might he will be awsome or sux or something in the midle.
If he will go to NBA than we will see how good he is.

timvp
07-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Hm Jasekivicius is a verry good shooter, but he is not so fast. And he will need to used to NBA . I dont know how good he would be in NBA. Might he will be awsome or sux or something in the midle.
If he will go to NBA than we will see how good he is.

I think he will either open the door for a lot of Euro players or slam it. He's the best there is in Europe and if he fails, it'd be a big play to all of the older prospects over there.

SLOVENIAN 8
07-05-2005, 04:10 AM
I think he will either open the door for a lot of Euro players or slam it. He's the best there is in Europe and if he fails, it'd be a big play to all of the older prospects over there.

Hm he is the best here in Europe?
I dont think so. I think that there were better players before ant will still be better than Sarunas. If he fails for me is that nothing so big.
NBA is not like Euroleague

timvp
07-05-2005, 04:18 AM
Hm he is the best here in Europe?
I dont think so. I think that there were better players before ant will still be better than Sarunas. If he fails for me is that nothing so big.
NBA is not like Euroleague

Everyone is saying he's currently the best player in Europe.

Untrue?

zeleni
07-05-2005, 04:24 AM
Everyone is saying he's currently the best player in Europe.

Untrue?

certainly the best PG who plays in Europe at this time. Being Jaka Lakovic second. ;) Now do you agree Slovenian8? :spin

(just for the sake of an argument. :lol )

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 04:46 AM
-respect to you kori... but sometimes you just like others posters here, write about things you acctually just heard. people here express their opinion about the man, and they had seen him only one or two games. sad.. :rolleyes

I don't think that you understood what I said, or maybe you are just being negative.

I asked a question about him being slow - thus the question mark at the end of my sentence.

Also the reason that his game may not translate to the NBA is not because I believe that NBA basketball is so complicated :rolleyes It's for the reasons you said ... it's about "muscles, speed". A lot of players who come to the NBA (especially at his age) who are not incredibly athletic or fast have a very difficult time adapting.

This guy wants more than $5M a year and a guarantee to start. So it's reasonable to question.

Karl Mundt
07-05-2005, 05:11 AM
Sarunas was only put in the All-Euroleague first team at the last second, due to his very good performance at the Final Four, so based on the opinions of people who made up the vote, the best player in Europe is Anthony Parker. But Sarunas has won so much past few seasons that you could argue he wasn't that motivated until the Final Four. He is a great shooter who can hit several threes in a row with ease, specially when it's needed most, he's a very good passer and very passionate about winning, which has been said before. I do question how he'll do on the defensive end though, watching him a big i get a sense he is a bit of floater on defense, doesn't really pay too much attention to it. I remember the final quarter in the Olympics semi final against Italy, when they were down by 4-6 points with 1 or 2 minutes left, anyway there was still plenty of time for a comeback, and when the Italians brought the ball over, he was just standing around, he wasn't moving, he wasn't covering anyone, he was just waiting for them to shoot so he could get the ball again. I don't think i've ever seen anyone do something like that in a basketball game. I remember cringing at the thought of him doing that playing under Popovich, i think he would be literally foaming.

Europeans would like to be accepted as equals in basketball (and other things incidently) so they often overestimate their players. The thing is, while it's the same sport on both sides of the ocean, certain differences do exist between the two styles, and not all players who excel in Europe are likely to do the same in the NBA (and the other way around aswell). Sarunas and Bodiroga are the two best players who haven't played in the NBA in the last 10 years and part of the reason for that is that they are both unorthodox and NBA teams have had trouble imagining how their style would blend with the role they would have to play on their teams. I like Sarunas and i really hope he does well, but i think it's most likely he's projected to play a 6th man type role.

zeleni
07-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Karl Wundt, I hope you are wrong.

Having an European style on a NBA team would benefit NBA. Mike d'Antoni imported his game from Benetton and made an impact. Why wouldn't be the same with Sarunas?

Maccabi now surely kicks ass even maybe with everyone except those teams in the finals. (there i still would dare going) So Sharunas can be a very good foundation.

SpizdiStrann
07-05-2005, 07:26 AM
, but i think it's most likely he's projected to play a 6th man type role.

i think we all know that would kill him.. he will not accept deal, which doesn´t make him a starter. if someone bench him, or give him just small role, that would make nonsense. i believe that he´s not able to play as a back-up. so i have doubts about his future too.. but on the other hand, team which will risk and give him all credit and chance to show up will get an amazing PG; born leader and winner.

from the teams which showed interest in him, i think he should wait a few weeks to see what will happen with cavs. cuz indiana, i think isn´t a team for his game.. - cavs are. and if they bring redd, and resign ZI,/or sign curry, he will have enought place to play with his game. in this scenario cavs would be serious title contender next year..

SpizdiStrann
07-05-2005, 07:27 AM
and he said that he want to have three year deal, min. 10M.. that means 3M+ every year, not 5M..

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 09:39 AM
The Spurs certainly wouldnt accomodate his intentions of starting so...

gus
07-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Saras won't be a star here because:

1.- He is not young.

2.- He is not fast.

3.- It takes one year to Europeans to adapt.-

Gus

wildbill2u
07-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Lets see how he shoots from an NBA 3 point line not that high school one they use in the Olympics.

One of the great myths of the NBA is that you have to be able to score at will from the 3pt. line. The result has been a stiffling of shooting from 15-23 ft by many guards who simply don't practice at that distance enough.

Would you rather have Parker shooting 40-45% from that distance on a pull up jumper off a dribble--or shooting under 30% spotting up outside the arc?

Eyal
07-05-2005, 06:34 PM

Yea, Stojakovic and Nowitzki are really bad 3pt shooters... :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
and he said that he want to have three year deal, min. 10M.. that means 3M+ every year, not 5M..

Well I think he's changed his mind about that. The Pacers were giving him a good look but they didn't know if they could get him because other teams were looking at spending the whole MLE on him. That's a contract starting at around $5M. The Pacers only have about $3M to start for him.

Sense
07-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Isn't Jasikevicius super slow?

I'm not sure if his game will translate well to the NBA, even though he can definitely shoot. I heard that the Pacers and Heat were both looking at him. I'm not sure who else.

I thought he was a cutter that shot like crazy...

Atleast he showd us his shooting against the U.S.

Gino2882
07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
This guy wants the full MLE.

timvp
03-13-2006, 04:56 AM

Apology Accepted.

:smokin

zeleni
03-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Apology Accepted.

:smokin

:blah

No apology given. :lol

1. Guy has 8,3 PtpG
2. Guy has 3,2 AsPG
3. This playa hardly ever plays with starters of his team.

Carlisle has isolated Sarunas and uses Peja as a shooter. Peja does not shoot as he used to while playing with Vlade.
I won't apologize until they finish playing play-off. I still think, mind you, that Jasikevicius has a lot to do, while Tinsley showed everything he could do with this bunch.

After all, the guy is clutch material. Pacers can do a lot of damage.

And while we talk stats: I cannot presume to judge a rookie player who is a part of car-crash team like the pacers have been this year on his abbilities.

timvp
03-13-2006, 06:49 AM
:blah

No apology given. :lol

1. Guy has 8,3 PtpG
2. Guy has 3,2 AsPG
3. This playa hardly ever plays with starters of his team.

Carlisle has isolated Sarunas and uses Peja as a shooter. Peja does not shoot as he used to while playing with Vlade.
I won't apologize until they finish playing play-off. I still think, mind you, that Jasikevicius has a lot to do, while Tinsley showed everything he could do with this bunch.

After all, the guy is clutch material. Pacers can do a lot of damage.

And while we talk stats: I cannot presume to judge a rookie player who is a part of car-crash team like the pacers have been this year on his abbilities.

You do know that Tinsley has been been injured all season, right? He hasn't played 30 minutes in a game since Christmas.

Jasikevicius was starting ... until teams figured out he couldn't defend or dribble. And now teams have started guarding him with taller players, which has made his shooting percentage fall to around 30% as of late.

Still think he's the best point guard in the world?

zeleni
03-13-2006, 08:29 AM
He didn't start as long as I was observing him after the trade.

30 % is also FG of Peja as of late.

No, Pacers need to get their shit together. They can hardly be called a team lately.
After the post-season I can say a word about Sarunas. And by then maybe they will also import a Slovenian to be bound for NBA Finals.

Sarunas has good numbers and was hardly a starter. Enough hate for a player who had to provide numbers and chemistry within a team with Artest-related problems. Guy had a horrible team selection to start his NBA career with all those injuries and affairs. Sarunas is a victory player, here he wasn't dealing primarely with basketball, if you know what i mean.

FromWayDowntown
03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Apparently, for now at least, Rick Carlisle thinks Sarunas is the third best point guard . . . .

on Indiana's roster.

Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060315/SPORTS04/603150469/1088)

T Park
03-15-2006, 09:57 PM
ouch.

Owned again.

When will he admit, that hes been overrated.

Not all european stars are destined to make it in the NBA.

THAT SIMPLE!

CharlieMac
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
That dude was a serious bomb for me in my fantasy league.

T Park
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Good shooter?

Yeah.

But as Macijauskas, Andrew Gaze, Zarko Paspajl, have proven, it takes more than just being a "shooter" to make it in this league.

Guru of Nothing
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
You do know that Tinsley has been been injured all season, right? He hasn't played 30 minutes in a game since Christmas.

Jasikevicius was starting ... until teams figured out he couldn't defend or dribble. And now teams have started guarding him with taller players, which has made his shooting percentage fall to around 30% as of late.

Still think he's the best point guard in the world?

Weird!!

Without the letter J, there is no NBA ... it's NASCAR-esque.

Ignore me [/temp sig]

Cant_Be_Faded
03-16-2006, 01:40 AM
I've said since he was drafted that he was too slow and one dimensional to be a good pg

timvp
03-16-2006, 02:20 AM
I've said since he was drafted that he was too slow and one dimensional to be a good pg

I'm sure you did.

velik_m
03-16-2006, 02:47 AM

when was he drafted?

Pero
03-16-2006, 03:14 AM
LOL, was he drafted at all?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-16-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm sure you did.

alot of people did
in fact, only the euro posters were the ones that kept saying he'd be good
naturally

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=803656&postcount=24

zeleni
04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Since they inactivate Sarunas, Pacers are on a horrible streak. Tinsley doesn't do shit and Peja is not an important part of this team. Simply put:
Pacers without Jasikevicius are worth jack in the playoffs.

That says something about how important is Jermaine and Ron Artest.

Now about Jasikevicius. The guy will be the only one who could make some difference for the Pacers. This becoming more and more evident, while Jamaal Tinsley proves he should play in the Euroleague.

genghisrex
04-07-2006, 09:39 AM
The Pacers are 32-34 with Sarunas in the line-up, 4-4 without. They're 21-22 when he plays at least 20 minutes and 15-16 when he players fewer. The great game changer at work, I see.

:monkey

boutons_
04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Another game changer, $91M worth, is KMart.
Nuggs are something 21-5 when KMART DOESN'T play. :lol :lol :lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM
looks like either kmart or boozer is goin to be ina knick jersey next season.