PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Out - Will Pop be the Next Team USA Coach?

timvp
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
ESPN says (http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/8990848/mike-krzyzewski-done-team-usa-coach-7-years) Coach K won't continue as the coach for Team USA. (Obviously, Coach K can change his mind and I'd bet there's still a 50/50 chance he does just that.)

If the job officially opens up, Pop is the obvious choice to get the gig. He's wanted the job in the past and he's clearly regarded as the best coach in the NBA. However, Jerry Colangelo will make the decision and he and Pop haven't gotten along in the past; it seems like Colangelo can't move beyond the beatdowns the Spurs have handed the Suns through the years.

Personally, I hope Pop gets the job. He wants it, he deserves it and should get it.

So far, the only other candidate I've heard reported is Doc Rivers. He's a good coach but Pop should be the next in line. I also wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo considers other college coaches.

Considering Pop's age (64), this is likely his last chance to get the job.

Spur|n|Austin
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
ESPN says (http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/8990848/mike-krzyzewski-done-team-usa-coach-7-years) Coach K won't continues as the coach for Team USA. (Obviously, Coach K can change his mind and I'd bet there's still a 50/50 chance he does just that.)

If the job officially opens up, Pop is the obvious choice to get the gig. He's wanted the job in the past and he's clearly regarded as the best coach in the NBA. However, Jerry Colangelo will make the decision and he and Pop haven't gotten along in the past; it seems like Colangelo can't move beyond the beatdowns the Spurs have handed the Suns through the years.

Personally, I hope Pop gets the job. He wants it, he deserves it and should get it.

So far, the only other candidate I've heard reported is Doc Rivers. He's a good coach but Pop should be the next in line. I also wouldn't be surprised if Colangelo considers other college coaches.

It sure would be nice to see Pop ride off into the sunset with at least one more championship and a gold medal as well.

mercos
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
It would be a crime if Pop wasn't given the chance to coach team USA. On top of being the best coach in basketball at any level, he has also served this country in the Air Force.

polandprzem
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
If Pop gets it I might actually start cheering for USA team again

Fabbs
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Matty Bonner in the Olympics!
Yay! Yah! Yah!

PPoppers get ready for one colossal celebration!
schitkkk and Chump are the event planners.

capek
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Total bullshit if Pop is passed over. I'll be officially done with Team USA basketball if that happens.

timvp
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Getting ahead of myself but ..... if Pop does get the job, wouldn't Kawhi be a perfect fit for a spot on Team USA? A defensive player that can play multiple position and shoot from the perimeter who doesn't need the ball much to be effective?

I'd say Kawhi is a bit of a longshot because: 1) Scorers usually make the Olympic team -- not defenders 2) Kawhi will need to be closing into All-Star level and that probably won't happen in the next couple seasons

Texas_Ranger
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
when will they select the new coach??

dougp
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Getting ahead of myself but ..... if Pop does get the job, wouldn't Kawhi be a perfect fit for a spot on Team USA? A defensive player that can play multiple position and shoot from the perimeter who doesn't need the ball much to be effective?

I'd say Kawhi is a bit of a longshot because: 1) Scorers usually make the Olympic team -- not defenders 2) Kawhi will need to be closing into All-Star level and that probably won't happen in the next couple seasons

Don't coaches get to choose the team in the Olympics?

ChumpDumper
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Yay! Yah! Yah!

schitkkk and Chump are the event planners.Well, if Pop doesn't get the job, he will always have the consolation of owning you in perpetuity.

Spur|n|Austin
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM

If Bruce didn't ever get a selection, then Kawhi will not either..

Mel_13
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Coach K took Battier to the WCs in 2006.

loveforthegame
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Pop is more than deserving. Hope he gets the nod. :tu

Cane
02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Kawhi's game would translate well, and as long as he keeps improving he'll get in with or without Pop imo

Hopefully the Spurs can steal Kevin Durant through Coach Pop and Team USA:downspin:

DesignatedT
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
I didn't realize how old Coach K was until last year. He's already 66 so Pop should definitely get the job at 64.

Spur|n|Austin
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I didn't realize how old Coach K was until last year. He's already 66 so Pop should definitely get the job at 64.

WOW, he does not look 66 at all!

Mugen
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Doesn't help that the two best players in the world play the some position as Kawhi. He'd get an invite to the tryouts I'm sure and I hope he makes it.

That said, I think theres a >50% chance that Coach K changes his mind and ends up coaching again tbh. I think the top guys will be lobbying hard for him once again and Colangelo is a f'n tool.

ace3g
02-26-2013, 02:09 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Parker says Pop can coach French team if Team USA doesn't happen. "We'll just get him drunk. A lot of wine. It will be fun."

Spur|n|Austin
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Parker says Pop can coach French team if Team USA doesn't happen. "We'll just get him drunk. A lot of wine. It will be fun."

:lol

MR-Clutch
02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Time to start a twitter hash tag for pop? If it worked for bonner, it's gotta work for pop.

jesterbobman
02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Kawhi also has Paul George as a SF/ Wing with Defensive ability. George would probably be the option for that wing slot at this point.

capek
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Kawhi's game is much more well rounded than Bruce's, so I don't think that comparison works. Kawhi has a ways to go before something like this would be likely, but he's already being recognized as one of the best young players in the league, so it's not like it's a ridiculous long shot. I think his really strong showing in the rising stars game will help push him on the way, as it gave everyone a chance to see that he's a legit player, despite the modest role he plays in the Spurs current makeup.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM

I agree that Pop should be the replacement for Coach K and I don' really think the argument for anyone else is particularly compelling; I think the best anyone else can say is that he's not Popovich and doesn't bring the anti-aggrandizement baggage that Pop does.

With that said -- after the 40th anniversary of Munich and the theft that was the gold medal game in those Olympics, there was some sentiment last summer to make Doug Collins the head coach and allow him to lead the team to the gold medal that he was denied. I don't know that Collins' NBA record is particularly helpful to any effort to make him the head coach of the next Olympic team, but I have heard his name mentioned in this discussion.

Pasta Batman
02-26-2013, 02:43 PM

Not that Kawhi is flashy, but he's flashier than Bowen. He also has a more well rounded game.

dylankerouac
02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
I hope Pop gets it.

buttsR4rebounding
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
My question is what the hell has Jerry Coangelo done to deserve to be head of Team USA Basketball? Not only should Pop be coach, but afterward he should replace JCo as head of Team USA.

BatManu20
02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Pop deserves it, but Doc Rivers or Roy Williams will likely get it. Jerry and Pop aren't exactly beest friends.

TrainOfThought5
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
seriously tho, whats the beef between Jerry C and Pop?

spurraider21
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
#LetPopCoach

jjktkk
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Yay! Yah! Yah!

schitkkk and Chump are the event planners.

Yes that is correct. Would it be asking too much, if you could ask your Mobile Homeowners association, if we could have the event at the special events trailer?

Libri
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
#Pop4TeamUSACoach

WaterBuffalo
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I agree that Pop should be the replacement for Coach K and I don' really think the argument for anyone else is particularly compelling; I think the best anyone else can say is that he's not Popovich and doesn't bring the anti-aggrandizement baggage that Pop does.

With that said -- after the 40th anniversary of Munich and the theft that was the gold medal game in those Olympics, there was some sentiment last summer to make Doug Collins the head coach and allow him to lead the team to the gold medal that he was denied. I don't know that Collins' NBA record is particularly helpful to any effort to make him the head coach of the next Olympic team, but I have heard his name mentioned in this discussion.

Colangelo was appointed to restructure Team USA after a series of poor results in international competition:

"Krzyzewski was hired by Colangelo in the wake of the team's disappointing sixth-place finish at the 2002 worlds in Indianapolis and a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics in Greece."

George Karl was head coach with Pop as lead assistant at Indianapolis. There's probably more to the relationship issue between Pop and Colangelo; wasn't there an article about it last year?

benstanfield
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Doc hadn't done shit before Garnett and Allen came along, and hasn't done shit since their big three stopped being dominant. Their offense is putrid and he lets Rondo openly stat whore, as well as allowing multiple highly publicized locker room conflicts. Highly overrated coach IMO. I would put Pop, Thibs, Carlisle, Karl, Collins, & Adelman ahead of him. Speaking hyperbolically, I would say he's at about Spoelstra's level.

racm
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Doc hadn't done shit before Garnett and Allen came along, and hasn't done shit since their big three stopped being dominant. Their offense is putrid and he lets Rondo openly stat whore, as well as allowing multiple highly publicized locker room conflicts. Highly overrated coach IMO. I would put Pop, Thibs, Carlisle, Karl, Collins, & Adelman ahead of him. Speaking hyperbolically, I would say he's at about Spoelstra's level.

Thibs was the defensive assistant for Doc from 2008-2010, fwiw.

Slutter McGee
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I say bring Bob Knight out of retirement just because it would be fun to watch.

Slutter McGee

DMC
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
ESPN says (http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/8990848/mike-krzyzewski-done-team-usa-coach-7-years) Coach K won't continue as the coach for Team USA. (Obviously, Coach K can change his mind and I'd bet there's still a 50/50 chance he does just that.)

During the Olympic games, Doc said Pop should get that spot and said he'd like it as well, but that Pop should be first in line.

hooperflash
02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Matt Bonner gets the nod over Kevin Love :lol

Uriel
02-26-2013, 07:59 PM
However, Jerry Colangelo will make the decision and he and Pop haven't gotten along in the past; it seems like Colangelo can't move beyond the beatdowns the Spurs have handed the Suns through the years.
:lol

chazley
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I believe Pop will be considered, but a big factor working against Pop is his age. Alot of the talk around the USA Basketball program is about changing the culture the past few years, and Pop will likely be a one-and-done guy. He would be 71 by the second Olympics, and NBA coaches typically don't last into their 70s. I think Doc will get the offer because he has the better chance of being around for at least 2 Olympics. However, if you get guys like Lebron/Melo/Durant asking for Pop to get the job, Pop gets it in a heartbeat.

exstatic
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM

Didn't Iggy make a couple of coach K's USA teams? Very similar players, with Kawhi being a superior shooter.

exstatic
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
I believe Pop will be considered, but a big factor working against Pop is his age. Alot of the talk around the USA Basketball program is about changing the culture the past few years, and Pop will likely be a one-and-done guy. He would be 71 by the second Olympics, and NBA coaches typically don't last into their 70s. I think Doc will get the offer because he has the better chance of being around for at least 2 Olympics. However, if you get guys like Lebron/Melo/Durant asking for Pop to get the job, Pop gets it in a heartbeat.

?? No way in hell Pop is still coaching NBA at that point. I think he may not be coaching in the NBA by the '16 olympics. He could just do the WC/Oly every two years coaching gig. Not very stressful at all. USA basketball gives you a huge player pool to chose from. You pick the best, and get to coach them.

They're perfectly willing to let coach K have the team until he dies, and he's two years older than Pop.

chazley
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Highly doubtful that Pop ever settles for just a part-time coaching gig for the USA Basketball team. When he retires from the Spurs/NBA, he's done for good.

ace3g
03-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Chris Mannix Show ‏@ChrisMannixShow (https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixShow) .@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) on Team USA's next head coach: "I think it will be Doc Rivers...it should be Gregg Popovich."
Retweeted by Chris Mannix (https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI)

TampaDude
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I say bring Bob Knight out of retirement just because it would be fun to watch.

Slutter McGee

LOL that would rule! Bobby Knight is the MAN! :lol