PDA

View Full Version : Manu's family's facilities were robbed?

TMTTRIO
07-04-2005, 10:42 PM
The great champion of San Antonio Spurs arrived at his native city where he was awaited with great expectation. There he will continue with the program of Básquet Without Borders sponsored by the NBA. On the other hand, her family underwent a robbery this same dawn. The thieves took 50,000 pesos of the geriatrical one that the Ginóbili they have in Bay.
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1007806

:depressed

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
sad, but over here that's nothing

kolko
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
$50,000 were stolen yesterday of the geriatric of one of Manu's brothers.

timvp
07-04-2005, 10:49 PM
sad, but over here that's nothing

True. I thought it was low of Bill Simmons to predict a kidnapping happening in Manu's family.

Tek_XX
07-04-2005, 10:50 PM
What was taken? How much is 50,000 pesos?

TOP-CHERRY
07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I thought it was low of Bill Simmons to predict a kidnapping happening in Manu's family.
They just don't realize how serious it is.
Very ignorant, indeed.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
What was taken? How much is 50,000 pesos?
50,000 pesos is like 17,500 dollars

shyne
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
I know his family doesnt want to leave their home, but if I was Manu i would seriously consider moving them over here at leasts till he retires, its not worth something tragic happening.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I know his family doesnt want to leave their home, but if I was Manu i would seriously consider moving them over here at leasts till he retires, its not worth something tragic happening.
can't really force them though, and ultimately they want to stay

shyne
07-04-2005, 10:56 PM
ya i know but even they have to be worried about their safety and I know Manu is.

E20
07-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I'd hire some body guards that know Bruce Lee type fighting or equip the with lots of guns. Also some vicious attack dogs would be nice.

xcoriate
07-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Its not Manus decision and its not one he would make for them. Sure Argentina is a troubled country but its a home, people don't want to leave there home.

shyne
07-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I wouldnt want to leave my home either, but when your life is at risk everyday you have to do whats right for you and your family. The more famous he gets the worse its going to be.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2005, 11:25 PM
On the one hand he shouldn't have to move, but knowing the security situation down there is about on par with Baghdad, he needs to either consider moving his family out of country or building a friggin' fortress for them down there.

leemajors
07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
wasn't there already an attempt at kidnapping one of his family? i didn't think it was low of simmons, it seems like a fact of life for celebrities down there - the risk doesn't go away.

smeagol
07-04-2005, 11:43 PM
On the one hand he shouldn't have to move, but knowing the security situation down there is about on par with Baghdad, he needs to either consider moving his family out of country or building a friggin' fortress for them down there.
Slight exaggeration forum

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 11:58 PM
monumental exaggeration forum!

Marhq
07-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Let's not overreact here. This had nothing to do with Manu being famous or rich and totally unrelated with that kidnapping plot.

Manu's family owns a retirement home, two guys broke into the building and took the money they had to pay the staff's salaries.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Yeah, and we all know no one has ever exaggerated to make a point. Some of you need to calm the fvck down.

The point remains the same. Manu is probably one of the single richest non-drug dealer in that country, you know he's a marked man.

I don't mean it as a slight to any of you Argentines, but let's face it - it's not exactly the safest place in the world down there for anyone with money.

smeagol
07-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah, and we all know no one has ever exaggerated to make a point. Some of you need to calm the fvck down.

The point remains the same. Manu is probably one of the single richest non-drug dealer in that country, you know he's a marked man.

I don't mean it as a slight to any of you Argentines, but let's face it - it's not exactly the safest place in the world down there for anyone with money.
Low blow forum :lol

Marhq
07-05-2005, 12:32 AM
AHF please, stop showing us your ignorance :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:29 AM

Aggie serisouly stick to what you know! Manu is not even in the TOP 20 list of the richest people in Argentina. Guess what, most of the richest people in Argentina AREN"T DRUG DEALERS EITHER! We live here, we know how things are up in here, and its as bad as its advertised. Take our word for it, we know more than you in this subject

leemajors
07-05-2005, 03:14 AM
damn check out the vbucks on manumania!

Horry For 3!
07-05-2005, 03:34 AM
That is lame. I hate people like that, this kid stole like 1k worth of my stuff and I found out who it was and beat tha fuck out of him. :)

Spurologist
07-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Check out my vbucks

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Okay, my bad. Manu is one of the single highest profile rich people in that country.

Fuck, quit taking everything as a personal insult to yourselves and admit the security situation sucks down there.

I mean, it's not like there wasn't already credible reports of a plot to kidnap his family last summer after he signed his 50+ million dollar contract or anything.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Welcome to South America. How about that Brazilian soccer star who gets picked up at the airport in Belo Horizonte, commences a live radio interview in the backseat of the car, and while on national radio, the car gets stopped by assailants and they all get robbed. All LIVE on the air in front of a national audience. Then when the bandits take off, the soccer guy says "excuse the commotion. We just got robbed. Now back to the interview."

:lmao

smeagol
07-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Fuck, quit taking everything as a personal insult to yourselves and admit the security situation sucks down there.
FYI.

Security is as bad as Brazil or Mexico.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
^Word. I've never had any problems whatosever in Brazil and I've been all over the place. Then again, I'm pretty cautious and wise to the ways of the world.

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that whenver an american refers to the security situation "down there" they are refering to anything below the Mexican/American border.
Most people are aware that kidnappings for ransom are a gorwing problem in alot of South and Central American countries. Not just Argentina.
No one is saying Argentina is a dangerous shithole. So everyone let's just take a deep breath.

Nueva Laredo. now thats a dangerous shithole.

johndraegerhhs
07-05-2005, 08:55 AM
50,000 Peso=5,000 Dallars

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Dollars

Mr. Ash
07-05-2005, 09:12 AM
50,000 Peso=5,000 Dallars

Argentina pesos ($17,500 usd), not Mexican pesos.

ManuLoco
07-05-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah! Manu's family should consider moving to the US (aka Happyland), the place where nothing goes wrong ladies an gentlemen!!! The least problem you could have is getting your kids killed by a psycho at school or getting yourself killed by another psycho at work. Not to mention the fact of living every single day thinking of the possibilty of having acts of terrorism at any given moment.
Please people, every country has it's own problems. Argentina is no hell and the US is no heaven either. Besides, didn't Malik got robbed lately in the US? Oh, then he should consider moving somewhere else with his family!!!
And to the guy who said that the only rich people in Arg where drug dealers, STOP SEEING TOO MANY MOVIES!!! You have the misconception that in every latin country people wander in the streets smokin pot with one hand and holding a rifle with the other one...typical yankee.

spurschick
07-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Besides, didn't Malik got robbed lately in the US? Oh, then he should consider moving somewhere else with his family!!!

Malik got robbed by some workers that were inside the house and the guy only took his rings to impress his girlfriend. Malik was lucky enough to get them back, but I sure hope he's invested in a wall safe since then and didn't just stick the rings back in the entertainment center.

Beyond the nursing home being owned my Manu's family, I think it sucks that someone would rip off a nursing home. In any country, that's just low.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 10:26 AM
:depressed. That's sad. I remember watching them interview Manu's grandmother during the halftime special in the Finals. She was so cute! And she was clearly so proud of Manu and what he has acheived and what he has come to mean to the country of Argentina.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Fuck those robbers, find those fuckers and kill em.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Security sucks ass in Argentina, and the cops don't give a fuck about the people, and neither does the fucking government.

I don't have 1 single relative that HASN'T been robbed or jumped in Argentina...and I know I already mentioned this but, my cousin works at a clothes store and had a gun held to her because, and she was forced to give the fucker all the money and then the fucker asked for a jacket, lmao.

You can get away with anything in Buenos Aires...It's bullshit.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Fuck those robbers, find those fuckers and kill em.

...Is it just me or does Alvarez seem like a young T-Park in waiting?

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
...Is it just me or does Alvarez seem like a young T-Park in waiting?
WTF is your point?

1Parker1, I already get the point that you dislike me, so what's new?

What are you trying to say?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Security is as bad as Brazil or Mexico.

I agree there. I think it's pretty much that way all over South America, but the relevant part of that part of the world with respect to this discussion is Manu's home country of Argentina.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 12:26 PM
WTF is your point?

1Parker1, I already get the point that you dislike me, so what's new?

What are you trying to say?

:lol Alvarez, I don't dislike you! :angel

I was just referring to your extensive use of foul language...which is similiar to T-Park's posts.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Well I think that using foul language is appropriate when discussing killing another person...it fits in perfect.:lol

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I agree there. I think it's pretty much that way all over South America, but the relevant part of that part of the world with respect to this discussion is Manu's home country of Argentina.

Nah, you're wrong there. The average US city is probably more dangerous than 90% of cities/towns in South America.

It's the very few large cities like Rio, Buenos Aires, etc that have the most crime. If you get out of those cities, it's less dangerous than average US city. But it's true crime is on the rise everywhere, what's new?

manubili
07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
If I was Manu, I'll take some security steps in order to protect my family. But I wouldn't move.

Here we have some cases about rich soccer players relatives being kidnapped, so it's no so strange.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:22 PM
yeah! Manu's family should consider moving to the US (aka Happyland), the place where nothing goes wrong ladies an gentlemen!!! The least problem you could have is getting your kids killed by a psycho at school or getting yourself killed by another psycho at work. Not to mention the fact of living every single day thinking of the possibilty of having acts of terrorism at any given moment.
Please people, every country has it's own problems. Argentina is no hell and the US is no heaven either. Besides, didn't Malik got robbed lately in the US? Oh, then he should consider moving somewhere else with his family!!!
And to the guy who said that the only rich people in Arg where drug dealers, STOP SEEING TOO MANY MOVIES!!! You have the misconception that in every latin country people wander in the streets smokin pot with one hand and holding a rifle with the other one...typical yankee.

Hey, stupid ass, I'll respond to your incredibly senseless post since I speak from experience having lived on three continents, including six years in Brazil:

1. At least in America, kids not only can go to school, they must. And guess what? There are higher education opportunities for ALL kids in America, regardless of race or socioeconomic background. Regarding extremely random acts of school violence among the THOUSANDS of schools in America, how many shitty acts do you think go unnoticed in South American schools yet simply go unreported either due to a lack of transparency or accessibility by the media? Wake the fuck up, don't even try to compare South American educational systems to that of the United States.

2. Acts of terrorism? Idiot, 9-11 happened and its over. It was a sick fluke. America is much more secure than any South American country will EVER be. Do you think that living in fear of kiddnapping is not living in fear of terrorism? Are you that fucking stupid? I have two friends, an acquaintance and the brother of my wife's brother-in-law who have been kidnapped in Brazil. In the case of the latter, the guy was held in a fucking doghouse during the blistering Mato Gross summer heat for 100 days and lost around half his weight. Don't be talking about terrorism coming from South America, jack!

3. Malik had his house broken into by petty thieves. What is much more common in South America are armed bandits breaking into houses for drug money, food money, any money, ready to kidnap and kill to get a few bucks.

In summary, don't bring that hollow pride, fake, ignorant bullshit around here, kid. Crime happens below the Equator just as it does above it.

And just to be fair, a big "fuck you" to any ignorant Americans who pile on these types of threads just to pile on and insult people from other countries. And an even heartier "fuck you" to envious people who know nothing about America, its history, its people, its generosity and what it stands for, yet want to shit on America out of their own insecurities and failures. Most of all, America is infinitely "safer" than any South American country will ever be as a whole, and that is something not even worth attempting to debate. It does not mean that America is "better". That is a matter of personal opinion. But from a law enforcement perspective, the U.S. is just safer. Now, if the U.S. continues deficit spending and goes bankrupt and there's social chaos, okay, maybe the equation changes. But if things continue as they are today, its just a fact.

Regardless, wherever one lives, exercise precautions when dealing with strangers and look both fucking ways before crossing the street.

Have a nice day! :hat

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Most of all, America is trillions of times "safer" than any South American country will ever be as a whole.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I've also lived in many different countries. Can I ask what other South American countries besides Brazil you have lived in?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Okay, my bad. Manu is one of the single highest profile rich people in that country.

I mean, it's not like there wasn't already credible reports of a plot to kidnap his family last summer after he signed his 50+ million dollar contract or anything.
You want to me get kidnapp reports from the US? How about just Texas? how about San Antonio?? don't tell no one gets kidnapped in the US? Would you say the US is a dangerous place for rich people?? Yes, there are kidnapings in Argentina, yes there are robberies, and yes there are murders, but not more so than most countries. I wasn't taking anything as an insult man, I was merely correcting you. Now if you want to choose not to believe me, someone who knows more about what happens in Argentina than you ever will, then that is you choice. I would never presume to argue with you about anything related to San Antonio, because obviously you know more about it than me.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Grande David...Why do u live outside the States then? I wouldn't ever leave perfection behind...

PS: Who in the fuck envy you??? I know I don't :)

CalsonicKansei
07-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if his parents moved into a new home or still live in the same old house as before? Cause i saw that halftime thing about his neighborhood? And it looked like it was a bad place to live.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey, stupid ass, I'll respond to your incredibly senseless post since I speak from experience having lived on three continents, including six years in South America:

1. At least in America, kids not only can go to school, they must. And guess what? There are higher education opportunities for ALL kids in America, regardless of race or socioeconomic background. Regarding extremely random acts of school violence among the THOUSANDS of schools in America, how many shitty acts do you think go unnoticed in South American schools yet simply go unreported either due to a lack of transparency or accessibility by the media? Wake the fuck up, don't even try to compare South American educational systems to that of the United States.

2. Acts of terrorism? Idiot, 9-11 happened and its over. It was a sick fluke. America is much more secure than any South American country will EVER be. Do you think that living in fear of kiddnapping is not living in fear of terrorism? Are you that fucking stupid? I have two friends, an acquaintance and the brother of my wife's brother-in-law who have been kidnapped in Brazil. In the case of the latter, the guy was held in a fucking doghouse during the blistering Mato Gross summer heat for 100 days and lost around half his weight. Don't be talking about terrorism coming from South America, jack!

3. Malik had his house broken into by petty thieves. What is much more common in South America are armed bandits breaking into houses for drug money, food money, any money, ready to kidnap and kill to get a few bucks.

In summary, don't bring that hollow pride, fake, ignorant bullshit around here, kid.

And just to be fair, a big "fuck you" to any ignorant Americans who pile on these types of threads just to pile on and insult people from other countries. And an even heartier "fuck you" to envious foreigners who know nothing about America, its history, its people, its generosity and what it stands for, yet want to shit on America out of their own insecurities and failures. Most of all, America is infinitely "safer" than any South American country will ever be as a whole, and that is something not even worth attempting to debate. Regardless, wherever one lives, exercise precautions when dealing with strangers and look both fucking ways before crossing the street.

Have a nice day! :hat

Out of the countries I've lived in, I have to say: Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay on average are safer than average US place, crimewise.

Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela(getting there) are the most dangerous countries. But then again, get out of the large cities there and it's a lot safer. Actually Colombia is the only country I can think of, that is dangerous all over the place, but then again I never lived there so I might be wrong.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Security sucks ass in Argentina, and the cops don't give a fuck about the people, and neither does the fucking government.

I don't have 1 single relative that HASN'T been robbed or jumped in Argentina...and I know I already mentioned this but, my cousin works at a clothes store and had a gun held to her because, and she was forced to give the fucker all the money and then the fucker asked for a jacket, lmao.

You can get away with anything in Buenos Aires...It's bullshit.
You're wrong, and I don't know where your relatives live but I've got most of my relatives here and NOT ONE ever got mugged!? Now I wouldn't call Buenos Aires safe, but its definately not as bad as you make it out to be. Have you ever lived here? and if so, what part of Buenos AIres did you live in?

hendrix
07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
I have two friends, an acquaintance and the brother of my wife's brother-in-law who have been kidnapped in Brazil.

Wouldn't that be YOU!?? :lol

Athenea
Put down the xenophobic glasses. Damn this place is sucking more and more...

GrandeDavid
^I've lived in Brazil but have visited other countries. And when I speak of safety, I look at a country's ability to defend itself from external and internal threats. Not just suicide bombers or other attacks, but internal crimes. In general, somebody commits a crime in America and gets caught, his ass is grass.

By the way I edited "trillions" to "infinite". In ANY country you are always going to have safety zones. It may be a gated community in Santiago or even Chavez-administered Venezuela. But as a whole society, America may be so free as to allow some of the freaks to rampage and kill, but as a whole, you don't have so many starving crackheads looking to break into your home every single day. You don't have so many thieves and "quadrillas" staking out your business for the next kidnapping.

Where else have you lived?

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm not xenophobic. On the contrary, I'm very welcoming to foreigners. I live in Brazil, and love it, and also have a home in my native San Antonio. At least twice per year friends from Europe and South America stay in my home in San Antonio. I was personally going off on that one message by that one guy that really pissed me off, and that's really not like me. Maybe I should've kept it private, and sorry for offending others. But I did not buy into those lame analogies.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I live and always will live where I've chosen: my country, my land, my home.
I visit Brazil a lot for biz. Have u lived in Argentina??? U can't compare Brazil to Argentina security wise.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm not xenophobic. On the contrary, I'm very welcoming to foreigners.
It shows ...
U speak lightly of things u don't know about my country.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
In general, somebody commits a crime in America and gets caught, his ass is grass.

:lmao :lmao IF CAUGHT, that is your keyword in general people get away with crimes here in US.

By the way I edited "trillions" to "infinite". In ANY country you are always going to have safety zones. It may be a gated community in Santiago or even Chavez-administered Venezuela. But as a whole society, America may be so free as to allow some of the freaks to rampage and kill, but as a whole, you don't have so many starving crackheads looking to break into your home every single day. You don't have so many thieves and "quadrillas" staking out your business for the next kidnapping.

Bullshit again. I absolutely know for a fact that 99% of South American citizens don't live scared of starving crackheads breaking into their houses.

So you've only lived in Brazil. Beleive me, Brazil is a whole other world compared to other countries in South America. Your experience extendends only to Brazil.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Also, I speak FROM EXPERIENCE. Hey, if I didn't like South America, in my case Brazil, I would not be living down here. I would seek other business opportunities. Truth is, I respect all countries and don't say that one is "better" than the other. But I just don't think one can sensibly compare individual safety in the U.S. versus developing countries. That's just stupid. Its possible that I could be kidnapped in Texas, sure. But its much more likely that it would happen below the Equator. That's just a statistical fact.

So people don't need to be insulting Americans, making references to terrorism and other bullshit.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Grandedavid...next time u speak shit about Brazil among Brazilians...call me. It would be a nice experience for me at least. I seriously doubt it'd be nice for u.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Out of the countries I've lived in, I have to say: Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay on average are safer than average US place, crimewise.

Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela(getting there) are the most dangerous countries. But then again, get out of the large cities there and it's a lot safer. Actually Colombia is the only country I can think of, that is dangerous all over the place, but then again I never lived there so I might be wrong. WAY WAY WAY OFF!! I lived in Venezuela, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Argentina, and the safest is Chile right now because of their economic situation. Venezuela is a mess, Caracas has on average 50 murders EVERY week!! and I mean murders like shot, stabbed, etc.. and this is for a city of about 4 million! Thats about the same as Colombia when the civil war was at its peek! There's absolutely no way you can compare Colombia and Venezuela with Brazil and Argentina, not even close! Brazil and Argentina only recently have began to experience excesive amounts of crime. For example, did you know that in 2000 Argentina was the second country with less murders a year? That's changed a lot since then, but its still not as insecure as everyone seems to think. I agree that the US is safer than most of Latin America, barrin maybe Chile and Mexico, but all I'm saying is Americans tend to think ALL of South America is a breeding ground for drugs, lack of education, and an overall war zone, and that is simply not true!

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:44 PM
But I just don't think one can sensibly compare individual safety in the U.S. versus developing countries. That's just stupid.

why can't this be compared?? why is it stupid?

Its possible that I could be kidnapped in Texas, sure. But its much more likely that it would happen below the Equator. That's just a statistical fact.

Maybe because you are an American citizen, true. But we're talking about security for everyone, not just americans.

So people don't need to be insulting Americans, making references to terrorism and other bullshit.

referrencing to terrorism is an insult??? since when??

hendrix
07-05-2005, 01:45 PM
So speaking of security concerns in the United States is insulting its inhabitants but speaking of security in Argentina is granted because you live in Brazil. Awesome.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:46 PM
:lmao :lmao IF CAUGHT, that is your keyword in general people get away with crimes here in US.

Bullshit again. I absolutely know for a fact that 99% of South American citizens don't live scared of starving crackheads breaking into their houses.

So you've only lived in Brazil. Beleive me, Brazil is a whole other world compared to other countries in South America. Your experience extendends only to Brazil.

1. Law is much more transparent in the U.S. AS A WHOLE.
2. Bullshit your self, man. If I did state "99.9%" than that figure should certainly be taken with a grain of salt. Ditto for the "crackhead" reference. My point is that its harder to make ends meet in countries with low GDP's per capita, and its been well-documented that South American societies suffer profoundly from skewed incomes. Hopefully that will change for the better over the long haul. I am a proponent of free trade, and I think that's a long term positive course, but that's another topic altogether.
3. Brazil is a whole other world? Culturally, sure. And my experience extends beyond Brazil. But now I'm curious to know where you have lived.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
So speaking of security concerns in the United States is insulting its inhabitants but speaking of security in Argentina is granted because you live in Brazil. Awesome.
Right on target! :spin

GrandeDavid

2. Bullshit your self, man. If I did state "99.9%" than that figure should certainly be taken with a grain of salt. Ditto for the "crackhead" reference. My point is that its harder to make ends meet in countries with low GDP's per capita, and its been well-documented that South American societies suffer profoundly from skewed incomes. Hopefully that will change for the better over the long haul. I am a proponent of free trade, and I think that's a long term positive course, but that's another topic altogether.
3. Brazil is a whole other world? Culturally, sure. And my experience extends beyond Brazil. But now I'm curious to know where you have lived.

Finally, I used "South America" in a generic sense so as not to directly reference a specific country, although I have done so with Brazil. I guess I'm an authority on Brazil since nkdlunch has granted me that license. :hat

nkdlunch
WAY WAY WAY OFF!! I lived in Venezuela, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Argentina, and the safest is Chile right now because of their economic situation. Venezuela is a mess, Caracas has on average 50 murders EVERY week!! and I mean murders like shot, stabbed, etc.. and this is for a city of about 4 million! Thats about the same as Colombia when the civil war was at its peek! There's absolutely no way you can compare Colombia and Venezuela with Brazil and Argentina, not even close! Brazil and Argentina only recently have began to experience excesive amounts of crime. For example, did you know that in 2000 Argentina was the second country with less murders a year? That's changed a lot since then, but its still not as insecure as everyone seems to think. I agree that the US is safer than most of Latin America, barrin maybe Chile and Mexico, but all I'm saying is Americans tend to think ALL of South America is a breeding ground for drugs, lack of education, and an overall war zone, and that is simply not true!

my point was that right now, those 4 countries(Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina) are the most dangerous in SA. How is that way off???

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
You really can't make an assumption on the whole of Latin America because you happen to have lived in Brazil. Latin AMerica isn't one entity, security concerns varie with every country. You made a generalization that although it may have been correct, it was for all the wrong reasons

hendrix
07-05-2005, 01:52 PM
My point is that its harder to make ends meet in countries with low GDP's per capita, and its been well-documented that South American societies suffer profoundly from skewed incomes. Hopefully that will change for the better over the long haul. I am a proponent of free trade, and I think that's a long term positive course, but that's another topic altogether.

I guess you live there to get benefits from the low incomes, right? You're traveling around the globe looking for "better" opportunities and exploitating people. Yeah... I thought so... you really like Brazil... those damn South-americans really work for a dime.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:54 PM

That comment makes no sense whatsoever. I never ever ever EVER mentioned Argentina. What I did do was mention "South America", hence "developing countries" based on MY EXPERIENCE. Obviously I'm aware that there are pros and cons and similarities and differences among nations. But really, you need not get offended. I think Argentina is a fabulous country. In this specific thread, I did not like that one post wonder person mocking 9/11 and indirectly referencing school violence acts like Columbine as if they are the norm in America.

Talk abou xenophobia! Good grief!

Settle down, folks. If anybody loves international brotherhood and bonding, its me. But if you look at threats to one's individual security, America is safer in that regard. I'm not saying that "America is better than other countries". I am just stating a fact.

To clarify my original tone:

I WAS PISSED OFF AT THE SMART ASS MOCKING OF TERRORIST THREATS AND SCHOOL VIOLENCE IN AMERICA. TO ME, THOSE ARE NOT DESERVING SUBJECTS OR WORTHY OF SARCASM.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
my point was that right now, those 4 countries(Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina) are the most dangerous in SA. How is that way off??? Because its simply not true, Peru has as a high a kidnapping risk as either Brazil or Argentina. I know because I lived there. Bolivia is right there also. I'd say Colombia and Venezuela are on top as the most dangerous, then maybe Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia and then Chile. However, they are all preety close except for the extremes like Venezuela, Colombia and Chile.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I guess you live there to get benefits from the low incomes, right? You're traveling around the globe looking for "better" opportunities and exploitating people. Yeah... I thought so... you really like Brazil... those damn South-americans really work for a dime.

Again, you are talking directly out of your ass with utterly no substance whatsoever. I won't even address this other than to say that if I knew you, you'd disappoint me.

But I will say this- I am HELPING people. Again, you do not know my profession or anything about me. I'd suggest you either take a nap or enlighten yourself with a good history book.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Because its simply not true, Peru has as a high a kidnapping risk as either Brazil or Argentina. I know because I lived there. Bolivia is right there also. I'd say Colombia and Venezuela are on top as the most dangerous, then maybe Peru, Paraguay, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia and then Chile.

We are talking about crime in general. Not only kidnappings.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Settle down!! now you're just insulting people, not arguing.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
We are talking about crime in general. Not only kidnappings.
I know, so was I, I just put kidnappings as an example

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
That comment makes no sense whatsoever. I never ever ever EVER mentioned Argentina. What I did do was mention "South America", hence "developing countries" based on MY EXPERIENCE. Obviously I'm aware that there are pros and cons and similarities and differences among nations. But really, you need not get offended. I think Argentina is a fabulous country. In this specific thread, I did not like that one post wonder person mocking 9/11 and indirectly referencing school violence acts like Columbine as if they are the norm in America.

Talk abou xenophobia! Good grief!

Settle down, folks. If anybody loves international brotherhood and bonding, its me. But if you look at threats to one's individual security, America is safer in that regard. I'm not saying that "America is better than other countries". I am just stating a fact.

To clarify my original tone:

I WAS PISSED OFF AT THE SMART ASS MOCKING OF TERRORIST THREATS AND SCHOOL VIOLENCE IN AMERICA. TO ME, THOSE ARE NOT DESERVING SUBJECTS OR WORTHY OF SARCASM.

As opposed to your polite comments about fear of starving crackheads coming into your house :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
As opposed to your polite comments about fear of starving crackheads coming into your house :lol
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

spurschick
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Is this really what happens around this forum during the off-season?
:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
I have two friends, an acquaintance and the brother of my wife's brother-in-law who have been kidnapped in Brazil.

Sorry to interrupt this battle, but ... you have a wife?

GrandeDavid
Grandedavid...next time u speak shit about Brazil among Brazilians...call me. It would be a nice experience for me at least. I seriously doubt it'd be nice for u.

Athenea, I am in Brazil right now! I simply echo the sentiments of my fellow Brazilians!! All I hear day in and day out is bitching and moaning about everything from Lula to CRIME. And if you are Argentinian, I think I'd have to ask the Brazilians to warm up to you and give you a chance...although, political malcontent toward Argentina is temporarily better now that Brazil won 4-1 over Argentina in that soccer tournament in Germany recently. :lol

As much as I pay in taxes in Brazil, as many friends as I have down here, including family, I will say whatever I want about Brazil, and I would NEVER badmouth such a beautiful country. Nor did I badmouth your land, either. I simply spoke the facts. Deal with it.

Finally, if you only knew how I get after ignorant Americans toward other countries!

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Sorry to interrupt this battle, but ... you have a wife?

Yes.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Is this really what happens around this forum during the off-season?
:rolleyes
This quote has turned into a "political forum" thing LOL!

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes.

Oh, I always thought you were a sex-crazed playboy ;)

Okay, back to the battle. :)

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:06 PM

You do make a valid point. In this case I speak for Brazil. Like America, Brazil is a consumer market. I guess its the Andean nations, the "safe havens" who are the producers. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Athenea, I am in Brazil right now! I simply echo the sentiments of my fellow Brazilians!! All I hear day in and day out is bitching and moaning about everything from Lula to CRIME. And if you are Argentinian, I think I'd have to ask the Brazilians to warm up to you and give you a chance...although, political malcontent toward Argentina is temporarily better now that Brazil won 4-1 over Argentina in that soccer tournament in Germany recently. :lol

As much as I pay in taxes in Brazil, as many friends as I have down here, including family, I will say whatever I want about Brazil, and I would NEVER badmouth such a beautiful country. Nor did I badmouth your land, either. I simply spoke the facts. Deal with it.

Finally, if you only knew how I get after ignorant Americans toward other countries!
You didn't speak facts! facts from where?? you know Brazil, and you extrapolate what you know about one country into an argument about the security of Latin America as a whole? thats not facts my friend.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM

:lol with a name like Grande David, I thought u were a pornstar :lol

j/k

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Thank! Hey, guess you didn't notice my wedding ring during that roundtable discussion! :lol

I didn't intend for this to be a battle, I was just responding to a troll. Unfortunately I spoke too soon and have offended some folks, which obviously was not my intention. Some subjects just get me fired up.

smeagol
07-05-2005, 02:11 PM
My 2 cents.

1) Manu's familiy isn't going anywhere and people in SA should not be concearned about their well being.

2) The major cities in the US are safer than Buenos Aires, Caracas, Bogotá, Medellin, Rio and Sao Paulo. If anybody disagrees, please let me know why.

3) Lets not always make these threads a US vs Argentina thing. I'm guilty of this too.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I didn't intend for this to be a battle, I was just responding to a troll.

It's okay. The battle is good in the offseason. It's better than the 9 million "Let's trade Rasho for crap" threads :)

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I didn't intend for this to be a battle, I was just responding to a troll. Unfortunately I spoke too soon and have offended some folks, which obviously was not my intention. Some subjects just get me fired up.
I think you do have a valid point in there somewhere, its just that your outburst because of some dumb poster who happened to relate terrorism with everyday crime didn't show you in the best of lights http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif but I think you're right, most US cities are safer than most latin american cities. ALthough I still think people have the wrong idea about latin american every day life.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
A MESSAGE TO ALL ARGENTINIANS-

1. I APOLOGIZE FOR OFFENDING ANY OF YOU WITH MY HEATED DIATRIBE ABOUT SAFETY IN SOUTH AMERICA, AS A WHOLE. BUT NOT ONCE DID I MENTION "ARGENTINA". NOT EVER. IN FACT, I HAVE SOME GOOD ARGENTINIAN FRIENDS IN BOTH THE U.S. AND BRAZIL. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO VISITING ARGENTINA SOMEDAY SOON AND HAVE NO DOUBT THAT IT IS A WONDERFUL COUNTRY.

2. FROM THE BEGINNING, I DEFINITELY SHOULD'VE AVOIDED TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT. I OBVIOUSLY UNWILLINGLY BECAME MORE POLITICALLY INCORRECT BY MAKING A GROSS GENERALIZATION ABOUT "SOUTH AMERICA". I SHOULD'VE IMMEDIATELY CLARIFIED THAT I SPEAK FROM A "BRAZILIAN" POINT OF VIEW.

3. I AM AN AMERICAN, BUT I ALSO RESIDE TEMPORARILY IN BRAZIL, WHERE I HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCY. I AM DOWN HERE NOT NECESSARILY BY CHOICE, BUT BECAUSE MY WIFE IS A DOCTOR DOWN HERE WITH A SUCCESSFUL PRACTICE. I SPEND HALF THE YEAR IN BRAZIL, HALF IN AMERICA. IT WORKS. BUT I KNOW BRAZIL INSIDE AND OUT AND MOST OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS AND BUSINESS ASSOCIATES ARE DOWN HERE. I LOVE BRAZIL, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IT IS A COUNTRY IN WHICH ONE CAN FRANKLY DISCUSS PROBLEMS AND WHAT HAVE YOU. I AM AN EXPORT CONSULTANT FOR, AMONG OTHER PRIVATE ENTITIES, THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT. IN MY LINE OF WORK AND ALSO BEING INVOLVED IN TWO MAJOR CHARITIES FOR UNDERPRIVELEGED CHILDREN IN BRAZIL, I KNOW THE PROS AND CONS OF LIVING DOWN HERE. THE PROS FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS, BUT AMONG THE CONS, PERSONAL "SAFETY" ON A DAY-TO-DAY BASIS IS THE BIG ONE. NO, YOU DON'T LIVE YOUR LIFE THINKING SOMEBODY IS GOING TO ASSAULT YOU. BUT IT IS SOMETHING YOU ARE CAUTIOUS ABOUT WHEN YOU WALK AT NIGHT, PULL INTO YOUR GARAGE, WHEN YOU GO MOUNTAIN BIKING WITH SOME FRIENDS AND HAVE TO HAUL ASS BACK TO THE CITY AT DUSK SO THAT YOU WON'T POSSIBLY GET ROBBED ON THE CITY PERIPHERY. THAT'S JUST REALITY, NOT AN INSULT TO ONE'S NATIONAL IDENTITY.

Again, sorry for offending anyone! Now you guys know me and my angle on things.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 02:19 PM

Hmmm I don't think u could criticize Brazil the way u r doing here live...Even if u live and have family there. Brazilians are way more nationalist than any other ppl except from Americans. They have a huge country and live their lives intra muros.
U can't even say "Maradona>Pelé" without getting "unhappy" looks directed at u.
And Americans r having a tough time with these new reciprocity policies (I see it all the time at airports).
I sure think u can hear Brazilians bitch and moan about their country but I seriouly doubt they'll accept happily whatever a foreigner like u could say about their land :)

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM

1. I APOLOGIZE FOR OFFENDING ANY OF YOU WITH MY HEATED DIATRIBE ABOUT SAFETY IN SOUTH AMERICA, AS A WHOLE. BUT NOT ONCE DID I MENTION "ARGENTINA". NOT EVER. IN FACT, I HAVE SOME GOOD ARGENTINIAN FRIENDS IN BOTH THE U.S. AND BRAZIL. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO VISITING ARGENTINA SOMEDAY SOON AND HAVE NO DOUBT THAT IT IS A WONDERFUL COUNTRY.

2. FROM THE BEGINNING, I DEFINITELY SHOULD'VE AVOIDED TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT. I OBVIOUSLY UNWILLINGLY BECAME MORE POLITICALLY INCORRECT BY MAKING A GROSS GENERALIZATION ABOUT "SOUTH AMERICA". I SHOULD'VE IMMEDIATELY CLARIFIED THAT I SPEAK FROM A "BRAZILIAN" POINT OF VIEW.

3. I AM AN AMERICAN, BUT I ALSO RESIDE TEMPORARILY IN BRAZIL, WHERE I HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCY. I AM DOWN HERE NOT NECESSARILY BY CHOICE, BUT BECAUSE MY WIFE IS A DOCTOR DOWN HERE WITH A SUCCESSFUL PRACTICE. I SPEND HALF THE YEAR IN BRAZIL, HALF IN AMERICA. IT WORKS. BUT I KNOW BRAZIL INSIDE AND OUT AND MOST OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS AND BUSINESS ASSOCIATES ARE DOWN HERE. I LOVE BRAZIL, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IT IS A COUNTRY IN WHICH ONE CAN FRANKLY DISCUSS PROBLEMS AND WHAT HAVE YOU. I AM AN EXPORT CONSULTANT FOR, AMONG OTHER PRIVATE ENTITIES, THE BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT. IN MY LINE OF WORK AND ALSO BEING INVOLVED IN TWO MAJOR CHARITIES FOR UNDERPRIVELEGED CHILDREN IN BRAZIL, I KNOW THE PROS AND CONS OF LIVING DOWN HERE. THE PROS FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS, BUT AMONG THE CONS, PERSONAL "SAFETY" ON A DAY-TO-DAY BASIS IS THE BIG ONE. NO, YOU DON'T LIVE YOUR LIFE THINKING SOMEBODY IS GOING TO ASSAULT YOU. BUT IT IS SOMETHING YOU ARE CAUTIOUS ABOUT WHEN YOU WALK AT NIGHT, PULL INTO YOUR GARAGE, WHEN YOU GO MOUNTAIN BIKING WITH SOME FRIENDS AND HAVE TO HAUL ASS BACK TO THE CITY AT DUSK SO THAT YOU WON'T POSSIBLY GET ROBBED ON THE CITY PERIPHERY. THAT'S JUST REALITY, NOT AN INSULT TO ONE'S NATIONAL IDENTITY.

Again, sorry for offending anyone! Now you guys know me and my angle on things.
LOL! I love this guy! hahaha no need for an apology my friend, everyone has an off day. Personally I didn't think you offended anyone that bad as to need to make such an apology, but then again I could be wrong. Either way, I share your sentiments, I too have awesome Brazilian friends, they are the most upbeat people I know! Its just a joy to be around them.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Hmmm I don't think u could criticize Brazil the way u r doing here live...Even if u live and have family there. Brazilians are way more nationalist than any other ppl except from Americans. They have a huge country and live their lives intra muros.
U can't even say "Maradona>Pelé" without getting "unhappy" looks directed at u.
And Americans r having a tough time with these new reciprocity policies (I see it all the time at airports).
I sure think u can hear Brazilians bitch and moan about their country but I seriouly doubt they'll accept happily whatever a foreigner like u could say about their land :)

Athenea, think what you will, but if I may, I'd like to give my take on your latest comments.

1. Um, yes I would and do discuss openly social issues in Brazil, especially since I'm directly involved in trying to humbly pull my weight in IMPROVING them.

2. You fail to realize that I am not some American tourist down here. I live here. I breathe here. I give blood, sweat and tears here. I am respected down here. I speak Portuguese as fluently and with as Brazilian an accent as I do American English.

3.And if/when, which is very rare, somebody in Brazil does/were to say something rambling and lacking in substance about American society, I would check his ass. JUST AS I'D DO TO AN AMERICAN CRACKING ON BRAZIL OR ARGENTINA JUST FOR THE SAKE OF DOING SO. The original post I attacked did just that. Then people like you chimed in, wanting to barrel your chest out in defense of something which does not exists- animosity toward your country. At least with me it does not.

4. Obviously you know nothing whatsoever about American-Brazilian relations based on the comment you just made. Perhaps you should stick to YOUR own knowledge arena, whatever that may be.

5. Regarding the "Maradona>Pele" comment you made, that has to do with soccer. I am too kind of a person to talk such yang about other countries' icons in the first place. But for the record, and you know this, the greatest soccer player of all time is Pele. ;)

WalterBenitez
07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
WAY WAY WAY OFF!! I lived in Venezuela, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Argentina, and the safest is Chile right now because of their economic situation.

Jesus you defeated me ... I lived only in ARG, BRA :depressed

What do you do?

CHile yeah ... it is the safest place ... ARG well you know after crisis the things went down, BRA I lived I was worried, but never happened sth to me ...

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm going to Santiago in October after I get back from the U.S. Should have some very nice running weather for me that time of year! :)

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:40 PM
By the way, I'm finally getting my post count up! Guess I'm no longer a "Pass-First Guard". :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Regarding the "Maradona>Pele" comment you made, that has to do with soccer. I am too kind of a person to talk such yang about other countries' icons in the first place. But for the record, and you know this, the greatest soccer player of all time is Pele. ;)
man... and I had such high hopes for you! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifLOL you were doing fine up until that whole "pele is the greatest" thing. Correct if I'm wrong but didn't FIFA give Pele AND Maradona the title of greatest players in history? Either way it boils down to preference. Personally I think Maradona was better, but I'm biased! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif This is a friendly comment, not to be misconstruded as the beginning of yet another long ass discussion! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

WalterBenitez
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM

1. I APOLOGIZE FOR OFFENDING ... accepted

2. FROM THE BEGINNING, I DEFINITELY SHOULD'VE AVOIDED TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT. You should keep being politically correct

3. I AM AN AMERICAN, ... I SPEND HALF THE YEAR IN BRAZIL I envy you... I miss Brazilian weather

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
man... and I had such high hopes for you! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gifLOL you were doing fine up until that whole "pele is the greatest" thing. Correct if I'm wrong but didn't FIFA give Pele AND Maradona the title of greatest players in history? Either way it boils down to preference. Personally I think Maradona was better, but I'm biased! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif This is a friendly comment, not to be misconstruded as the beginning of yet another long ass discussion! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif

I was just having fun with the lady. Hey, I agree with you that Maradona is better than Pele. Why? Because he likes Manu, so in my book that makes him the best! :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I was just having fun with the lady. Hey, I agree with you that Maradona is better than Pele. Why? Because he likes Manu, so in my book that makes him the best! :lol
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif You allright!

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Notice how neither "Athenea" nor "Hendrix" have nothing else to say, nothing worth a damn bit of validity or substance to offer to this thread. I guess its dead now.

Kids, this was just training for the battle blogs. Don't take it personal. I'm sure you are all decent, upstanding individuals who seek nothing more than world peace and an immediate end to poverty and crime.

Athenea, Brazil loves you (yeah right)! :lmao

austinfan
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey, how about a Pele v. Maradona Battle Blog? Or a Brazilian soccer v. Argentine soccer Blog? That should raise the blood pressure around here a little, huh? :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey, how about a Pele v. Maradona Battle Blog? Or a Brazilian soccer v. Argentine soccer Blog? That should raise the blood pressure around here a little, huh? :lol
raise blood pressure?? it would blow the roof off of this place! not a good idea! You can't really prove either one, I'm talking about Pele vs Maradona. brazilian soccer vs argentinian, well its hard to argue against 5 world cup championships.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 03:23 PM
^I'd love to do that. I'll take Brazil for the fun of it. The problem is I'm not too knowledgeable about soccer. I do, however, know that Brazil has more World Cup titles (5) than any other nation. The great news is it won't affect my blood pressure like it would if it were to involve, say USA basketball versus Argentina. It would be painful having to endure the smack. Damn.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 03:26 PM

You don't wanna go there dude. Visit latin soccer forums and you will see it's sooo ugly. By the end people start insulting other countries racially,they make references to old wars between countries,etc. It's nasty. Of course this forum will never be like that.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 03:32 PM
You don't wanna go there dude. Visit latin soccer forums and you will see it's sooo ugly. By the end people start insulting other countries racially,they make references to old wars between countries,etc. It's nasty. Of course this forum will never be like that.

That's why I want to take Brazil in this case, because I'll be able to take the political and cultural cracks with a grain of salt. :lol

austinfan
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM

OK, maybe it's not such a good idea after all. I just thought it might have been a way for people to release some steam, but maybe it would generate too much animosity. Maybe we need a topic that's a little more laid back, like Tex-Mex v. interior Mexican food (I love both). :spin

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I wouldnt want to leave my home either, but when your life is at risk everyday you have to do whats right for you and your family. The more famous he gets the worse its going to be.

Besides, have you all seen Manu's phat ass crib in San Antonio? I have, its a couple blocks from my parents' house. I'm sure space and luxury will not be an issue. He could probably fit a few king-sized bed in his wine cellar. I'm sure the fam will love his sand-beached swimming pool. Besides, Capt. Hernandez (main security guard at The Dominion) will make sure all gawkers stay at bay.

hendrix
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Notice how neither "Athenea" nor "Hendrix" have nothing else to say, nothing worth a damn bit of validity or substance to offer to this thread. I guess its dead now.

Naaahh.... You take all what you said back. THAT ended it.
Apologies accepted.

GrandeDavid

TO ALL ARGENTINIANS, AGAIN:

I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD BEFORE GOING ON MY RANT. SORRY FOR THROWING SALT INTO THE WOUND. I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS SO MUCH SENSELESS CRAP BEING SHAT ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY.

MaNuMaNiAc
Besides, have you all seen Manu's phat ass crib in San Antonio? I have, its a couple blocks from my parents' house. I'm sure space and luxury will not be an issue. He could probably fit a few king-sized bed in his wine cellar. I'm sure the fam will love his sand-beached swimming pool. Besides, Capt. Hernandez (main security guard at The Dominion) will make sure all gawkers stay at bay.
Yeah, and I'm sure Manu's wife would love having to spend every minute with her in laws! hahahahaha

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 03:43 PM
hendrix, there ya go. Also I was silly for not reading every single post. I didn't realize there was so much stupid shit being talked about your country. Sorry for all the insults by other folks. BUT, I NEVER mentioned Argentina. That is for the record.

The thing that pissed me off was when this Athenea chick chimed in as if she spoke for Brazilian culture as a whole and acted as if she understood my role in Brazilian society and what they think of me. Get the fuck out of here! What a letdown that bird is. I am loved in Brazil and its a place, as in America, where my opinion is valued. When I get pissed and complain about the reality of the crime situation, its because I have a reason and cause to. People respect that shit. People don't respect petty ass "nationalism".

Anyone want to do battle with me on this in a blog? Should be fun! :lol

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
You're wrong, and I don't know where your relatives live but I've got most of my relatives here and NOT ONE ever got mugged!? Now I wouldn't call Buenos Aires safe, but its definately not as bad as you make it out to be. Have you ever lived here? and if so, what part of Buenos AIres did you live in?
Yes, I have lived in Buenos Aires, all my relatives live there, in Belgrano, which isn't a bad part of town, and it still happens...maybe we are just unfortunate.

I know that it's only in major cities like Rio and Buenos Aires in South America where that stuff happens, but in general, it's pretty clean compared to the states. I'm going to visit Buenos Aires and Rio this summer...

The crime in US cities is pretty bad, as well as any big city, it's just what happens.

What I was saying earlier is the difference in the US and Argentina is the goverment/cops. US, there's cops everywhere in cities...in Buenos Aires, they don't seem to give a shit.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Nah, you're wrong there. The average US city is probably more dangerous than 90% of cities/towns in South America.

It's the very few large cities like Rio, Buenos Aires, etc that have the most crime. If you get out of those cities, it's less dangerous than average US city. But it's true crime is on the rise everywhere, what's new?

nkd, I respect your takes and look for forward to your insights, but now I disagree with you.

I just do not buy this claim that "its less dangerous than average US city"...meaning when one leaves the major metropolises. Particularly in Brazil, many people today are migrating toward the interior of the country, populating mid-sized cities in the 250,000-1 million population range in search of economic opportunity. In the city in which I reside, Uberlândia, the population is 650,000. To me, in my personal experience, its a little paradise for an outdoorsman like myself, but ALL I HEAR from long term residents is how the good old days of walking the streets at night are long gone. Now there are car jackings, robberies and all kinds of shit. When my parents visit from America, although the LOVE Brazil, the hospitality, natural beauty and friendliness of the people, we, from the Brazilian side, are frequently plodding "safe" stuff to do, and when to go where.

Thank God I have never been victim of a crime in Brazil, other than having countless hot Brazilian girls in dental floss bikinis trying to seduce me, but I hear about crime alot. Like Uberlandia, with the demographic changes, these smaller towns are seeing sharp rises in crime. There is also a Mercosul socioeconomic development report, which I'll TRY to locate in English and/or online, which backs this claim. Plus I have eyes and ears and personal experience to back up my claim. Like you said, crime is on the rise everywhere...but I would not go nearly so far as to say that South American smaller cities are less dangerous than their U.S. counterparts.

Again (ATHENEA, HENDRIX etc.), its nothing at all against those South American cities or cultures, I'm just chiming in my personal experience and knowledge.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
MaNuMaNiA or Athenea, I haven't been to all of Buenos Aires' neighborhoods, so I don't know all of the differences...I just wanna know, which are the worst neighborhoods in Buenos Aires?

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Alvarez, ALL of BA if fvcking dangero......just kidding! :lol

JsnSA
07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
People are stupid.

I dont care about which country is safer...most countries have crime problems..the US is no different.

I do agree with those who think Manu should try to talk his family into moving to the US though...not because the US is better or any crap like that.

Its just the fact that right now...for whatever reason...there is a semi-fad amongst the criminal element in some south American countries (and Argentina is one of them) to try and kidnap family members of wealthy people...and right now with Manu being in the public profile so much..it makes him a larger target than other wealthier people.

Its like his fame is advertising for him to become a target. Dumbass crook #1- "Whos family member should we kidnap?" Dumbass crook #2- "How about that Manu guy...I hear he has a lot of money".

The US has plenty of issues with crime...but right now the likely hood of his family being specificaly targeted in the US is much much lower than if they stayed in Argentina.

It doesnt mean they cant go back and visit..and maybe even return permanently at some point when Manu's fame has dropped a bit over there.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 04:25 PM
JsnSA, the Ginobilis don't want to move. Manu has hired security guards to protect them, but they aren't going anywhere. They've been there their whole life, and they don't wanna leave...even if it is better for their safety.
Manu probably has tried to convince them to come to San Antonio, but nothing's worked. It would be terrible if something happens to one of his family members...
If I were him, I'd hire a bunch of security with all kinds of weapons to surround their house 24/7, accompanied by some vicious rottweilers and dovermans, and maybe pitbulls.

nkdlunch
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
nkd, I respect your takes and look for forward to your insights, but now I disagree with you.

I just do not buy this claim that "its less dangerous than average US city"...meaning when one leaves the major metropolises. Particularly in Brazil, many people today are migrating toward the interior of the country, populating mid-sized cities in the 250,000-1 million population range in search of economic opportunity. In the city in which I reside, Uberlândia, the population is 650,000. To me, in my personal experience, its a little paradise for an outdoorsman like myself, but ALL I HEAR from long term residents is how the good old days of walking the streets at night are long gone. Now there are car jackings, robberies and all kinds of shit. When my parents visit from America, although the LOVE Brazil, the hospitality, natural beauty and friendliness of the people, we, from the Brazilian side, are frequently plodding "safe" stuff to do, and when to go where.

Thank God I have never been victim of a crime in Brazil, other than having countless hot Brazilian girls in dental floss bikinis trying to seduce me, but I hear about crime alot. Like Uberlandia, with the demographic changes, these smaller towns are seeing sharp rises in crime. There is also a Mercosul socioeconomic development report, which I'll TRY to locate in English and/or online, which backs this claim. Plus I have eyes and ears and personal experience to back up my claim. Like you said, crime is on the rise everywhere...but I would not go nearly so far as to say that South American smaller cities are less dangerous than their U.S. counterparts.

Again (ATHENEA, HENDRIX etc.), its nothing at all against those South American cities or cultures, I'm just chiming in my personal experience and knowledge.

Once again, you are talking about Brazil. Brazil is a different world from the rest of South American countries. It's a huge country and they have different problems, some of them like poverty/corruption are similar but not the same.

I'm from Bolivia, your neighbor, but I lived in Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Argentina and now the US. And small cities/towns in those countries from my experience are as safe as an average city here in US.

But I know it's getting worse so who knows maybe in the future it will be as bad as you claim.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 04:32 PM
^nkd, and I clarified that I speak from the Brazilian perspective. That is interesting that you are from Bolivia and that you have lived in those other nations. I, particularly, am looking forward to getting acquainted with Santiago, Chile. My partners and I are exploring setting up a sales office for our franchising business in Santiago. Looking forward to the altitude, the running, the culture, the wine and, most importantly, the business-friendly climate.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Fvck the Americas altogether! I'm moving to Asia. :lol

JsnSA
07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
JsnSA, the Ginobilis don't want to move.

I understand that. I wouldnt necessarily WANT to move either. Its thier home.

But you have to admit that it would be the smarter move.

I would be freaking if I knew people were planning on kidnapping my family.

That would scare me a lot more than if the plot was just to kidnap me.

But your right...If you cant get them to come...I would definatly have armed guards watching them all the time...but I guess that would suck for them too.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I understand that. I wouldnt necessarily WANT to move either. Its thier home.

But you have to admit that it would be the smarter move.

I would be freaking if I knew people were planning on kidnapping my family.

That would scare me a lot more than if the plot was just to kidnap me.

But your right...If you cant get them to come...I would definatly have armed guards watching them all the time...but I guess that would suck for them too.
I feel the same way, I'd rather have people planning on kidnapping me instead of my family members...it'd give me an excuse to carry a deagle or an smg around so I can light up any mofo that tries to kidnap me.

It's probably smarter for them to move, and follow Manu around where ever he goes. I hope he retires in SA so they can stay there, and eventually move back to Argentina.

But If I were Manu, I would be freakin out if people were planning to harm my family. If I had his kind of money and I couldn't convince them to come to the states, I would build a fortress around their house :lol...either that or move them into a naval base.

kolko
07-05-2005, 05:26 PM
MaNuMaNiA or Athenea, I haven't been to all of Buenos Aires' neighborhoods, so I don't know all of the differences...I just wanna know, which are the worst neighborhoods in Buenos Aires?

I think the southern neighborhoods are more dangerous than the northern ones. For me, the safest place to live in BA is in the north (Belgrano, Nuñez, Saavedra, Coghlan). Also Vicente Lopez is a nice place to live, very quiet.

Buenos Aires in Google Maps: Link (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=buenos+aires&ll=-34.601784,-58.455849&spn=0.057240,0.080561&t=k&hl=en)

WalterBenitez
07-05-2005, 06:21 PM

LA BOCA, we are the worst people in town ... that's why we appreciate the antichrist (TP) :cooldevil

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I think the southern neighborhoods are more dangerous than the northern ones. For me, the safest place to live in BA is in the north (Belgrano, Nuñez, Saavedra, Coghlan). Also Vicente Lopez is a nice place to live, very quiet.

Buenos Aires in Google Maps: Link (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=buenos+aires&ll=-34.601784,-58.455849&spn=0.057240,0.080561&t=k&hl=en)
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure...

most of my family lives in Belgrano which is like NE BA, I believe...and they still have all been jumped!

I guess we're unfortunate...

Athenea
07-05-2005, 07:05 PM
hendrix, there ya go. Also I was silly for not reading every single post. I didn't realize there was so much stupid shit being talked about your country. Sorry for all the insults by other folks. BUT, I NEVER mentioned Argentina. That is for the record.

The thing that pissed me off was when this Athenea chick chimed in as if she spoke for Brazilian culture as a whole and acted as if she understood my role in Brazilian society and what they think of me. Get the fuck out of here! What a letdown that bird is. I am loved in Brazil and its a place, as in America, where my opinion is valued. When I get pissed and complain about the reality of the crime situation, its because I have a reason and cause to. People respect that shit. People don't respect petty ass "nationalism".

Anyone want to do battle with me on this in a blog? Should be fun! :lol
Nice...another fan :spin
considering you spoke about South America as a whole I don't see Y u get horrified by my comments.
It's not that I can't understand your point of view...it's that I just don't believe u can freely criticized Brazil among Brazilians...
May be I know squat about US-Brazil relationships but I do see the "preferential" treatment that Americans receive in international airports. May be that's not your case (obviously u r beyond that, probably carrying some especial credentials :drunk ).
Querido, você quemou filme! E não se preocupe: os brazileiros são muito legais comigo porque eu sei me-comportar corretamente na casa deles :smokin .

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 07:10 PM
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure...

most of my family lives in Belgrano which is like NE BA, I believe...and they still have all been jumped!

I guess we're unfortunate...
Belgrano is not the safest part of Buenos AIres. It depends which part of Belgrano, you must live near Nuñez then.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Belgrano is not the safest part of Buenos AIres. It depends which part of Belgrano, you must live near Nuñez then.
Not me personally, I live in Philadelphia, but my close relatives live in Belgrano.

They live in a nice area actually, close to all the embassies, like 3 blocks off of Avenida Cabildo.

I'm not gonna tell you exactly where they live but it's around the street names off: Virrey del Pino, Arcos, Pampas, Ciudad de la Paz, and I can't think right now, but all the streets will be fresh in my memory after I visit in the first weeks of August.

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's a bad area.

My cousins live really close to the Mexican embassy.

Athenea
07-05-2005, 07:25 PM
ALVIE, there're some dangerous places in BA and GBA, places like "hoods" in US. Most of those places have been eradicated from inside the city. Southern GBA has some tough places nearby wealthy neighborhoods (like Lomas de Zamora, Temperley, Lanus). Same goes for the Northern part of GBA.
As long as u have the danger zones well identified and the transportation is safe/reliable you should be able to wander around without major problems.
May be the exposure to dangerous situations is bigger in Buenos Aires due to its active night live (from 10 pm to 8 am).

smeagol
07-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm not gonna tell you exactly where they live but it's around the street names off: Virrey del Pino, Arcos, Pampas, Ciudad de la Paz, and I can't think right now, but all the streets will be fresh in my memory after I visit in the first weeks of August.
That's a nice part of town.

Enjoy your stay in the most beautiful city in the World!

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 08:23 PM
That's a nice part of town.

Enjoy your stay in the most beautiful city in the World!
Thanks, and yeah it's my favorite city in the world, I love it...I wish the economy/politics were in good state in Argentina right now...

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Nice...another fan :spin
considering you spoke about South America as a whole I don't see Y u get horrified by my comments.
It's not that I can't understand your point of view...it's that I just don't believe u can freely criticized Brazil among Brazilians...
May be I know squat about US-Brazil relationships but I do see the "preferential" treatment that Americans receive in international airports. May be that's not your case (obviously u r beyond that, probably carrying some especial credentials :drunk ).
Querido, você quemou filme! E não se preocupe: os brazileiros são muito legais comigo porque eu sei me-comportar corretamente na casa deles :smokin .

Preferential treatment at airports? What are you talking about? I will say that I have been through Brazilian Customs at least 50 times in my life and regardless of the volume of luggage NOT ONCE have I ever been hassled, so you may have a point. But think about it...

1. Why do Americans receive this so-called "preferential treatment" at international airports (as if that has anything whatsoever to do with this thread)? Um, let me venture out and take a stab. Uh, ya think it could be that most Americans traveling abroad are doing so overwhelmingly for legitimate tourism or business? Hence, most American travelers are not clearing foreign customs to live abroad illegally or to traffic in illegal goods and services. True, there are exceptions to the rule, but from an efficiency standpoint, why on Earth would Americans NOT receive this alleged "preferential treatment"? :rolleyes

2. And I didn't "queimar" porra nenhuma, menina. Your personal experience appears quite limited in the scope of Brazilian culture, and you know absolutely zilch about how I, personally, fit into that vast concept. Do not try to impose your limited point of view on my existence here. I will repeat, once again, and then this subject will be closed with you. Read carefully:

I am not Argentinian and I am not some drunk soccer fan talking trash in Brazil. I live here, I pay taxes here, I help people, I have countless friends and connections. I am well-respected and so is my opinion. It has nothing to do with me being an American, but it has to do with the cards that I bring to the table, in this case, Brazil. I speak Portuguese with no accent, I treat people around the globe with the utmost respect, and I am what Brazilians like to call me "verdadeiro".

I DO CRITICIZE BRAZIL AMONG BRAZILIANS, EVEN TO A BRAZILIAN DEPUTADO FEDERAL (CONGBRESSMAN) FRIEND OF MINE. EVEN TO MY WIFE, WHO IS BRAZILIAN. AND MY OPINION IS VALUED AND RESPECTED.

Now that is the end of this discussion. Maybe to a stranger, perhaps an Argentinian wandering through Brazil, perhaps it would be wise to avoid "criticism" of that culture, but in my case, again, I am no tourist and you have absolutely no grounds, insight, basis etc. to assume what I can and cannot say in Brazil. Maybe you'd get your ass chewed out talking about social issues in Brazil, but not me. That is a fact, sweetheart.

Pleasant chat!

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 07:48 AM
One more thing to add. There is no American on this Earth who is more proud to be American than I. As proud? Sure. But not more.

Having said that, I tolerate foreign dissidence and negative opinion of America on a daily basis. My whole angle is either to educate that person or understand why they harbor the view they have. Perhaps that individual is frustrated because he/she cannot obtain a work visa for the United States. Perhaps that individual is a naturally envious person, what have you. Maybe that person had to listen to some individuals, who appear to be American, blast and rip into their native country.

In whichever case, I try to always be patient and set a great example of what it means to be an American, especially when I am overseas. That includes:

-being real
-being honest
-being friendly
-being helpful
-be generous
-being a gentleman
-being strong

But if somebody makes smart ass remarks about the deaths of my countrymen and destruction of my national landmarks through a terrorist act, then those are fighting words. That is the entire reason I am in this thread.

Some stupid, worthless asshole created a phantom username just to post one smart ass, hateful comment referencing September 11th. That's why I jumped in furiously. No offense to any other people and my intent is not to belittle other cultures and nations. In fact, as I have cited numerous times, I have considerable experience overseas.

Having said that, if any of you, American or not, would like to "throw fists" with me in a battle blog, let LJ know.

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 09:46 AM

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's a bad area.

holy shit dude! my family lived in Calle Arcos!! what a coincidence. That is a nice ass area, eventhough they robbed the supermarket across the street from us like 4 times already! :lol

My dream would be to live in that area. Too bad my family moved now. I was there in the summer and the women.... wow.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
nkd, just curious, are you a U.S. citizen now?

hendrix
07-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Whatever pleases you dude...
but boy... you are such an arrogant

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 09:59 AM
nkd, just curious, are you a U.S. citizen now?

nope. resident.

ALVAREZ6
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
holy shit dude! my family lived in Calle Arcos!! what a coincidence. That is a nice ass area, eventhough they robbed the supermarket across the street from us like 4 times already! :lol

My dream would be to live in that area. Too bad my family moved now. I was there in the summer and the women.... wow.
That's cool.

What was the closest intersection to where they lived? or the streets near it?

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Whatever pleases you dude...
but boy... you are such an arrogant

Who me? Damn, and here I thought your comprehension of the English language was competent. :lol

Dude, I'm anything BUT arrogant. To begin, I don't think an "arrogant" person would've been so damned apologetic about allegedly offending people from another country, especially when that was not my intention.

This is a fan forum and a fun place for arguing and venting. We all should take things with a grain of salt and be more careful about the impressions we form of others.

Having said that, I give you my word that I'm anything at all but arrogant.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
nope. resident.

Well I hope you enjoy your stay in America however long the duration may be.

I admit to knowing very little about daily life in small Bolivian towns...actually, with regard to Bolivia, I know little more than macro-economic stats and basic demographics.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint!

Athenea
07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Who me? Damn, and here I thought your comprehension of the English language was competent. :lol

Dude, I'm anything BUT arrogant. To begin, I don't think an "arrogant" person would've been so damned apologetic about allegedly offending people from another country, especially when that was not my intention.

This is a fan forum and a fun place for arguing and venting. We all should take things with a grain of salt and be more careful about the impressions we form of others.

Having said that, I give you my word that I'm anything at all but arrogant.
GrandeDavid is not arrogant just condescending (another form of pride). Keep preaching bro, among us poor South American azzes :elephant
The more u talk...

chungoman
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
holy shit dude! my family lived in Calle Arcos!! what a coincidence. I live in Arcos too. Near Barrancas de Belgrano.

diego
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
having lived in DC, SF, Chicago, Santiago Chile, Buenos Aires Arg, and Beijing China, by far the most dangerous places were the US cities, even though they are considerably smaller.

GrandeDavid you argue that skewed income is a cause for crime in developing countries particularly south america, yet the US is right there in the top 10. why isn't that a cause of crime in the US?

bottom line, crime is a constant anywhere but it does not have a constant probability. I've been mugged in Hiroshima, but had no problems in a Saigon whorehouse, despite what logic would tell you. Big countries like Brazil and the US, you can't make generalizations about that kind of stuff.

I do think it is true however, that if you are kidnapped in the states, it is probably a sociopath intent on killing you, whereas if you are kidnapped in South America, it is probably a professional criminal intent on collecting the ransom. there is a significant difference

finally, i feel that most places on earth are pretty safe, but the media and politicians need issues and stories and what better than crime stories. I was living in SF when that woman got killed by her neighbors dogs, and for the next year the media had you convinced that drug dealing white supremacists had attack dogs waiting to eat you at every corner. much the same has happened with the kidnapping phenomenon in South America- yes, it happens, but it is not nearly as widespread as the media would have you believe.

ManuLoco
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Too bad I don't live my life through this forum, because if so I would've been able too answer to all your countless posts grandedavid. Im not going to say you're a moron because I don't agree with you. All I wanted to say is that Argentina is not a jungle as many americans think and bad things also happen in the US. The people who say manu's familiy should consider moving to the US should've said they should consider moving to Finland or Sweden, countries where you are really safe.
I guess you're a grown up man, but just as an advice i'd like to tell you you shouldnt pay too much attention to the infinitesimal amount of news you get about argentina in the US because, generally, the really bad news get shown in the US.
Finally, about football (soccer) Brazil >>>> Argentina but Maradona >>>> Pele.

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
That's cool.

What was the closest intersection to where they lived? or the streets near it?

I think it was Arcos + Echeverria. The supermarket across the street I think is called Disco.

ah I think there is an empanadas place in that corner or close by. They were soooo good. try 'em when ure there.

nkdlunch
07-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Some stupid, worthless asshole created a phantom username just to post one smart ass, hateful comment referencing September 11th. That's why I jumped in furiously. No offense to any other people and my intent is not to belittle other cultures and nations. In fact, as I have cited numerous times, I have considerable experience overseas.

Having said that, if any of you, American or not, would like to "throw fists" with me in a battle blog, let LJ know.

Can you please directly quote the post that pissed you off? I'm curious to know which post you were offended by, cause I don't remember reading such post. thanks

hendrix
07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
GrandeDavid you argue that skewed income is a cause for crime in developing countries particularly south america, yet the US is right there in the top 10. why isn't that a cause of crime in the US?
Poverty? Crime? In the almighty USA?

I do think it is true however, that if you are kidnapped in the states, it is probably a sociopath intent on killing you, whereas if you are kidnapped in South America, it is probably a professional criminal intent on collecting the ransom. there is a significant difference

finally, i feel that most places on earth are pretty safe, but the media and politicians need issues and stories and what better than crime stories. I was living in SF when that woman got killed by her neighbors dogs, and for the next year the media had you convinced that drug dealing white supremacists had attack dogs waiting to eat you at every corner. much the same has happened with the kidnapping phenomenon in South America- yes, it happens, but it is not nearly as widespread as the media would have you believe.

Excelent dude. I liked your post.

ALVAREZ6
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I think it was Arcos + Echeverria. The supermarket across the street I think is called Disco.

ah I think there is an empanadas place in that corner or close by. They were soooo good. try 'em when ure there.
oh ok, I know where that is, real close to where some relatives live...they normally buy their food at Disco.

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Can you please directly quote the post that pissed you off? I'm curious to know which post you were offended by, cause I don't remember reading such post. thanks

No, I will not go back a few pages and look it up because this issue has been beaten to a pulp. I feel you mean well, nkdlunch, but this issue is done as far as I'm concerned. It was somebody, their first post ever here, with Manu in the username. I did not take lightly some references to threats of terrorism in the U.S. and so on. My interpretation of their tone was that they were exaggerating the threat of terrorism and other stuff. The error I commited was not reading every preceding post. For example, I read where AggieHoopsFan had compared security in Argentina to that in Bagdad. Alright, when such comments are flying around here, I can see people getting pissed off. So all in we need to take this with a grain of salt.

But that's enough on this issue in this thread from GrandeDavid unless somebody would like to discuss it in a battle blog or something.

Truth be told I'm just playing devil's advocate to test my battle skills. ;)

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Um...excuse me? What does my argument about the effects of skewed income in developing countries' crime rates have to do with crime rates in the U.S.? Please clarify because I would like to give you a straight answer.

Let me ramble on, if I may...

Crime exists everywhere, but in developing countries many crimes are of necessity, perhaps the result of a lack of employment opportunity, perhaps malnutrition, poor education. There could be many reasons. My personal belief is that many crimes in the U.S. are drug related or are the result of an ultra-competitive culture. Related to this thread, kidnapping is on the rise throughout South America. That is a fact. Its growing because law enforcement is slow to respond, probably due to infrastructural and training issues etc.

Crime sucks, its everywhere, but different types of crimes are commited moreso in some countries than other. That's just my opinion, which was formed through experience, study and listening to people in the field, both down here and up there.

But please clarify what you'd like to know.

Shelly
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Tpark who????

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Okay, I'm leaving my office now and heading to my club to go for a 15K run. Tomorrow I'm away on business in Sao Paulo, the largest city in the greatest nation in South America, for a few days. I promise to check back by the weekend. Meantime, have fun!

Btw, lighten up, people! And, Argentina & bdklunch, I was only joshing about Brazil being "the greatest nation in South America". ;)

GrandeDavid
07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Did I ever tell you guys that I find South American women, meaning from all countries across the continent, to be very sexy and downright smoking hot? Not to mention super sweet, friendly and warm?

How's that for changing the trajectory of this discourse? :lol