PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Did cuban piss away dirks prime

Lincoln
02-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Lol his best centers until Tyson being dampier and 2010 haywood

Findog
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
It's really hard to win a title. Brutally hard. A core of Nash/Finley/Dirk was never going to get past Kobe/Shaq. The 2003 Spurs was probably their weakest title team, so maybe if Dirk hadn't gotten hurt they might have had a chance to take that series. Giving out big contracts to Haywood and Dampier would never happen under the current CBA. If anything he missed out by handing over a 55 win team to a coach like Avery. I think Pat Riley wins the Finals in 2006 no matter which roster you gave him. Same with Nellie winning that GS-Dallas series in 2007.

Given everything that happened in the Dirk Era, I think at most they missed out on one other title. I don't think the Mavs beat the Spurs in 2007 if they get past Golden State.

Kai
02-27-2013, 12:27 AM
He got a ring, it's all good.

midnightpulp
02-27-2013, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't go as far to say he "pissed it away." Cuban did indeed surround Dirk with quality talent. I think the Mavs' failure to reach the Finals in the first half of the 00s was due more to Don Nelson being the coach than a failure to build a championship caliber roster. When Avery came in and got the Mavs to play defense, they made the Finals and were half a quarter away from a championship.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Avery was a horrible coach, too, though.... he deserves some blame for wasting Dirk's prime by turning the entire team against him and ruining Devin Harris, imho...

It was also his decision to tank a few games specifically to draw the Warriors in 2007, who had owned the Mavs in the regular season that year, iirc... they probably would have beaten the Clippers in the playoffs that year, but instead, Avery ruined a golden opportunity for a ring that year...

HI-FI
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
I don't think he wasted his prime, but they didn't capitalize on situations like they hoped. THey should've had another ring, and probably would have if not for the officiating against the Heat.

Cuban, as much as I can't stand him, was always aggressive in building a great team. I think had he been older, wiser and not learning the ropes the same time as Dirk, could've built a better team around him. His recent experiment with trying to get Howard and Williams is an example of him swinging for the fences and striking out.

Venti Quattro
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Dirk went into God mode and won a ring. A lot of NBA stars die trying to win one. He actually got one.

KaiRMD1
02-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Dirk got a ring and a finals MVP so no

Venti Quattro
02-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Given everything that happened in the Dirk Era, I think at most they missed out on one other title. I don't think the Mavs beat the Spurs in 2007 if they get past Golden State.

If you include that, then he really should've had 3. But winning one is already a feat in itself. Kobe missed two chances to win a ring. But in the end, the five he won are worth it.

midnightpulp
02-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Avery was a horrible coach, too, though.... he deserves some blame for wasting Dirk's prime by turning the entire team against him and ruining Devin Harris, imho...

It was also his decision to tank a few games specifically to draw the Warriors in 2007, who had owned the Mavs in the regular season that year, iirc... they probably would have beaten the Clippers in the playoffs that year, but instead, Avery ruined a golden opportunity for a ring that year...

Oh I know. I wasn't championing Avery. I was more illustrating the fact that all the Mavs really needed to do to evolve from great team to championship contender back then was to play better defense, which Avery, as shitty as he was, got them to do. In addition to that, Steve Nash's departure helped out in that regard, as well.
And like Findog alluded to, Dirk had the misfortune of playing in the toughest Western Conference in NBA history.

AaronY
02-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Cuban tried his ass off and acquired a lot of talented players for Dirk to play alongside. He did make some mistakes but he did better than a ton of other owners did in surrounding similar stars with talent (think Lebron in Cleveland, AI in Philly, Dwight in Orlando, etc.)

Thebesteva
02-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Mavs are kind of like the Colts of the NBA...they definitely deserved more than 1. It was so hard for everything to go their way.

scanry
02-27-2013, 02:58 AM
Mavs are kind of like the Colts of the NBA...they definitely deserved more than 1. It was so hard for everything to go their way.

Good comparison. The Mavs are the Colts and the Patriots are the Spurs. Dallas definetly deserved the 2006 chip.

However you cannot blame Cuban becuase the Mavs were always a good $20 - $25 mil over the cap from 2005 - 2010.

Sean Cagney
02-27-2013, 03:04 AM
It's really hard to win a title. Brutally hard. A core of Nash/Finley/Dirk was never going to get past Kobe/Shaq. The 2003 Spurs was probably their weakest title team, so maybe if Dirk hadn't gotten hurt they might have had a chance to take that series. .

They had no shot in that series, and that Spurs team you said their weakest title team beat that three peat LA team! Dirk does not get hurt the same result, they blew that game one bigtime and were basically up easily 2-1 when he got hurt, they had game three in control in Dallas and were up 2-1 when he went down, they had no shot in that series as their frontline was way too weak and played no D at all. Believe me they had no shot there, once SA beat LA it was a wrap that year, period. Spurs were deep that year as well, don't get where that was their weakest team, they won 60 games and had a vet bench and youth as well, Duncan that year was on a different planet, period.

If Webber does not get hurt in 03 Dallas does not get to the WCF, it's all irrelevant now though as it happened the way it did.

Jacob1983
02-27-2013, 04:01 AM
“It feels amazing to know that no one can ever take this away from us again, and for one year, we’re the best team that was out there”.

Dirk has a ring and a Finals MVP trophy and no one can take that shit from him ever. Not Wade. Not Stern. No one. I love how haters fuckin' hate the fact that Dirk is a champion and a has a ring. It makes the championship even better and more special.

rayjayjohnson
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
dirk rang.

thread is as dumb as OP tbh

Spursfanfromafar
02-27-2013, 04:06 AM
I think Cuban, despite how much Spurfan hates him, did all he could to take the Mavs from being a joke to a perennial contender. And that includes surrounding Dirk with enough talent. The only point of inflection came in last season, when I thought the Mavs screwed up their strategy badly in search of the Howard-DWill dream. Sadly, despite realising that it was a nightmare not so much a dream, the Mavs have been doubly screwed by the new CBA and its effect on the trade market. Will take a while for the Mavs to recover again, and by that time, the Dirk window will be practically gone.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2013, 05:23 AM
they got robbed in 06

dirk should have 2-3 rings or maybe even 4....too bad he played in a stacked west

MI21
02-27-2013, 05:55 AM
No way. 1 ring is more than most of the NBA have won...

JoeTait75
02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Lol his best centers until Tyson being dampier and 2010 haywood

Did you watch the Mavericks during the '90s? They were beyond a joke. That they went from where they were back then to a perennial contender and an NBA Champion says a lot about the job Cuban has done.

Sportstudi
02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Good comparison. The Mavs are the Colts and the Patriots are the Spurs. Dallas definetly deserved the 2006 chip.

However you cannot blame Cuban becuase the Mavs were always a good $20 - $25 mil over the cap from 2005 - 2010.

Did you watch the Mavericks during the '90s? They were beyond a joke. That they went from where they were back then to a perennial contender and an NBA Champion says a lot about the job Cuban has done.

While I agree that Cuban tried his best to surround Dirk with good players, I think he also had a habit to grossly overpay somde dudes who weren't worth that amount of money at all, especially big guys. For instance Damp was never worth 60 $ million and Diop and Haywood also got much more than they actually deserved.

Concerning Avery it was interesting how often he got outcoached in the playoffs. In 2007 he wanted more vets after losing to the Heat (Shaq, Payton, Walker) and got completely embarrassed by Nellie. Thus, in the next year he was begging for guards only to lose again, this time vs. the Hornets.

Latarian Milton
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM
dirk's better off playing alongside a defensive big and that's why cuban pissed away so much money for bigs who seem to be legit defenders in the first place but later turned out to be craps, until that year when you got TC and dirk immediately delivered a championship for this city. cuban is as much a fan of his team as anyone on this board and i have no doubt about it, dude just lacks the knowledge to know what his team really needs, and he's also rather poor at judging a player's ability imho

ambchang
02-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Cuban didn't, Stern did though.

hater
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
he got a ring and will make the HOF easily. Dirk was never good enough to deserve multiple ships anyway.

Brunodf
02-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Talking about Cs yes... But Dirk always had good/great guards/forwards

spurraider21
02-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Dirk always had loads of talent around him. I still remember the team with Nash, Finley, and prime Jamison

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Didn't piss away Dirk's prime but shut the window on them winning another title with Dirk as the centerpiece.

Sportstudi
02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Dirk always had loads of talent around him. I still remember the team with Nash, Finley, and prime Jamison

Unfortunately Nash had never played for the Mavs like he did for the Suns after Cubes let him go.

spurraider21
02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately Nash had never played for the Mavs like he did for the Suns after Cubes let him go.

this is true. he was more of a gunner with the Mavs, but then again the Mavs offense didn't run through Nash at all, and on Phoenix he dominated the ball. I'm not sure his Phoenix style would have complemented Finley and Dirk that well, though.

DMC
02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Cuban cashed in after the ring. I think he got that ring unexpectedly. The Mavs should have won two or three rings. They never had the presence in the paint until TC. Cuban is a business man, he will only lose so much before he cuts his losses. Rings are great, but at the end of the day someone has to pay for it and the Mavs aren't the Lakers in terms of fan base.

Latarian Milton
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Cuban cashed in after the ring. I think he got that ring unexpectedly. The Mavs should have won two or three rings. They never had the presence in the paint until TC. Cuban is a business man, he will only lose so much before he cuts his losses. Rings are great, but at the end of the day someone has to pay for it and the Mavs aren't the Lakers in terms of fan base.
great point. DFW ain't a big basketball market and cuban has already done the best a businessman could ever do for a sports franchise, so i understand cuban's decision when he chose to let TC walk. cuban had been one of the league's biggest spenders for well over a decade until 2012, not to say that he's been fined a tally of several million dollars by the league since he took office. people need to put money where their mouth is when they criticize him for being mean on TC tbh, they can spend less on cowboys games and buy more mavs products

mercos
02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Definitely not. The Mavs competed every year, and Dirk got one ring. Barkley, Malone, Stockton, and many other Hall of Famers have none.