PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Hometown fans admire Ginobili with passion, pride

timvp
07-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Hometown fans admire Ginobili with passion, pride

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070505.1D.ginobili.38cb3993.html

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

BAHIA BLANCA, Argentina — Manu Ginobili stepped off the plane and into the sunlight Monday morning to find a small army of fans and reporters awaiting his arrival. A large banner hanging outside the airport terminal also greeted him.

"Felicitaciones Manu Bienvenidos a Casa," which translated means "Congratulations Manu!, Welcome home!"
After a whirlwind four days that included talk-show appearances, celebratory dinners and a reunion with Argentina's Olympic team, Ginobili returned home Monday. Seven hours after he touched down, more than 3,000 people braved 40-degree weather to cheer him in a mall parking lot.

"It doesn't matter where I go," said Ginobili, whose Spurs last month defeated the Detroit Pistons for their third NBA championship. "These are always my people. I am a son of the city."

When Ginobili agreed to participate in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders Americas camp, he asked league officials to include a visit to his hometown.

The 10-kilometer ride from the airport became a parade. It didn't matter whether they were butchers, cooks, pharmacists or businessmen — they all left work to line the streets and cheer Ginobili as his bus passed. At nearly every intersection, cars stopped to honk their horns.

Ginobili first stopped at Hospital Municipal de Agudos to visit the children's ward. Though a few hundred people crammed the street outside the facility, the atmosphere was not as chaotic as Ginobili's hospital visit in Buenos Aires three days earlier.

Ginobili, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and the other NBA players and coaches on the trip signed autographs and handed out toys to the children. One doctor pulled Popovich aside to give him a few words of advice.

"You can win easier if Duncan make the free drops," he said, "and Parker no lose balls."

Said Popovich: "You could have my job."

During the NBA Finals, hospital staffers and patients stayed up late to watch Ginobili play. Dr. Pablo Bualo, who works on Ginobili's Web site in his free time, emailed a question to Popovich's radio show last season: Why do you bench Manu?

"I have never seen anything like this before," Bualo said. "In the hospital, in all the town, everybody is talking about Manu. You come here and everybody likes basketball."

Bahia Blanca has long been known as the capital of Argentine basketball. Ginobili's father, Jorge, has served as president of Bahienese Del Norte, a local club where Ginobili learned to play the sport. A year ago, he helped pay for a new court for the gym.

"I believe a big reason I've been able to get to where I am," Ginobili said, "is because of all the time I spent here trying to learn how to play."

When Ginobili arrived at his old gym — now renamed Estadio Manu Ginobili — he was greeted by dozens of young boys, most of them wearing No. 20 Spurs jerseys under their jackets. In the afternoon, Ginobili and the coaches put on a clinic at the club for about 250 local orphans.

"The game is spreading so much," Popovich said, "and now they have a role model in Manu to look up to."

Popovich has become quite the celebrity himself on his trip here. During the clinic, he was engulfed by children and adults seeking his autograph. When he walked on stage in the pep rally, the crowd began chanting, "Pop-o-vich! Pop-o-vich!" in tune with Queen's "We Will Rock You."

Said Popovich: "They must not have heard about Point Four."

Ginobili said he planned to spend the next month vacationing in his country.

"I'm not going to think about basketball or sports," he said. "I wouldn't change this moment in my life for anything. I will enjoy it."

timvp
07-05-2005, 12:12 AM
"You can win easier if Duncan make the free drops," he said, "and Parker no lose balls."

:lmao

That is almost signature worthy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2005, 12:21 AM
The question here is:

Is the Doc talking about turnovers, or heuvos?

:lol

Nikos
07-05-2005, 12:24 AM
The question here is:

I have to admit that was funny :lol .

Low blow though, and cruel.

smeagol
07-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Oh brother, LJ is going to have a field day with this one :lol

xcoriate
07-05-2005, 12:25 AM
The question here is:

:lmao Thats what I thought as well, classic.

smeagol
07-05-2005, 12:31 AM
The question here is:

You can ask him. He posts regularly at MG.com.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I love Manu!

WalterBenitez
07-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Hometown fans admire Ginobili with passion, pride
Popovich has become quite the celebrity himself on his trip here. During the clinic, he was engulfed by children and adults seeking his autograph. When he walked on stage in the pep rally, the crowd began chanting, "Pop-o-vich! Pop-o-vich!" in tune with Queen's "We Will Rock You."

I told you, POP is a rock star!!! :lmao

milkyway21
07-05-2005, 02:20 AM
One doctor pulled Popovich aside to give him a few words of advice.

he should have added... and Manu limit his turnovers:lol

he was #1 in TOs in the finals series, okay Doc? TP had 0 turnover in game2.

1Parker1
07-05-2005, 07:51 AM

:lmao