PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

J.T.
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Kansas City will trade its second-round pick in the 2013 draft -- the second selection (No. 34 overall) in the round -- as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014 to acquire Smith from San Francisco, a league source told ESPN.

As a result of the trade, the Chiefs are expected to release former starting quarterback Matt Cassel, league sources told ESPN.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

symple19
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Good riddance. Although Reid's system is about the best you can get for a guy like Smith, he'll still fail and ensure the rest of the AFC West have a whipping boy

symple19
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Frankly, a pile of Badger scat would have been a fair trade for Smith. 2 picks is highway robbery. :lmao Chiefs

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Good riddance. Although Reid's system is about the best you can get for a guy like Smith, he'll still fail and ensure the rest of the AFC West have a whipping boy
The AFC West already had the Raiders as their guaranteed whipping boy, but it looks like the Chiefs will be staying down in the basement with them, tbh.....

Maybe the shitty Chargers will actually have a winning record this year :lol

benefactor
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Great deal for SF.

Bill_Brasky
02-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow.....I don't know that I've ever seen such a proven shitty player gain so much hype.

:lmao Chiefs

Lincoln
02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
chiefs will win 8 games next year book it

great trade for sf

phxspurfan
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Wow. Chiefs have Andy Reid, Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles and the #1 pick. They will be good soon.

Chinook
02-27-2013, 01:53 PM
That's about the largest over-payment I've seen since the Bailey/2nd for Portis deal.

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't understand how everybody has forgotten the pre-Harbaugh version of Alex Smith:lol..

He wasn't a rookie or 2nd year player that matured, improved his skills and learned the game..he was a veteran, mediocre QB that looked good in a great system(as a game manager)..he was destined to be a career backup QB, tbh..

Alex Smith = Kyle Orton, tbh..

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow. Chiefs have Andy Reid, Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles and the #1 pick. They will be good soon.
No they won't, they'll be mediocre AT BEST and could end up losing Bowe.... furthermore, their #1 pick has lost all value now that they won't be drafting a quarterback....

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Q: What do Shaun Hill, David Carr, Troy Smith, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Colin Kaepernick have in common?

A: Alex Smith has been benched in favor of all of them....

:lol Chiefs

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 02:25 PM
No they won't, they'll be mediocre AT BEST and could end up losing Bowe.... furthermore, their #1 pick has lost all value now that they won't be drafting a quarterback....

Everyone is missing the point. The Chiefs don't need a hall of fame QB to compete in this division. All we need is someone tha can keep the D honest. Can't do that with a QB who shits himself all the the time. Best case scenario next year,10-6.

Raven
02-27-2013, 02:25 PM
omfg!!! i wouldn't give a 7rounder for a player to be relased... what a dumb move

Chinook
02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
You'd think John Fox were the coach there and not read, to be honest.

gaKNOW!blee
02-27-2013, 02:42 PM
pretty tough to do, but they used a top 35 pick as well as a pick next year, and they STILL have the worst qb in the division.

LnGrrrR
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
pretty tough to do, but they used a top 35 pick as well as a pick next year, and they STILL have the worst qb in the division.

That's debatable... I think Smith is better than whoever the Raiders are going to start next year.

Phillip
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
i think this is a solid pickup for the chiefs

not sure why people are thinking this is so terrible

symple19
02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Q: What do Shaun Hill, David Carr, Troy Smith, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Colin Kaepernick have in common?

A: Alex Smith has been benched in favor of all of them....

:lol Chiefs

:lmao

so true... And the Niners just stole two picks for this bum :lmao

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Because Alex Smith is a game manager being asked to turn a franchise around, which will only end in failure, and because the Chiefs gave up way too many draft picks for said game manager....

Seriously, have the people who like this move watched the NFL since 2004? With all the QB-friendly rule changes, if your team doesn't have an elite quarterback, you're fucked with no chance of a ring....

And to the Chiefsfan pumping up the Chiefs maybe going 10-6 next year with Alex Smith: whoop de fucking doo.... I'd rather tank as much as possible and build a contender instead of being a mediocre playoff team and losing in the wildcard round every year.... a real franchise would take the risk on Geno Smith and try to develop him into a franchise guy, instead of once again settling for another team's game-managing leftovers....

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
I think people have gotten carried away with, "The Chiefs are just a solid QB away from being good!" and their team outside the QB position has gotten massively overrated.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I think people have gotten carried away with, "The Chiefs are just a solid QB away from being good!" and their team outside the QB position has gotten massively overrated.
Seriously, the Chiefs went 2-14 with Matt Cassell under center, and have barely upgraded the QB position with this move.... the Chiefs would be lucky to go 8-8 next year, imho, let alone 10-6....

td4mvp2k
02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Kansas City will trade its second-round pick in the 2013 draft -- the second selection (No. 34 overall) in the round -- as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014 to acquire Smith from San Francisco, a league source told ESPN. :lol @ KC

Lincoln
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't the 9ers have like at least 15 picks now this year?

They're going to be deep for years

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Haters gonna hate. :lolChiefs got nowhere else to go but up. Everyone makes it seem like they are mortgaging their future for a QB. Not every team can draft a franchise QB like Rivers, who led the Chargers to multiple Superbowls...oh wait...

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Haters gonna hate. :lolChiefs got nowhere else to go but up. Everyone makes it seem like they are mortgaging their future for a QB. Not every team can draft a franchise QB like Rivers, who led the Chargers to multiple Superbowls...oh wait...
Rivers sucking due to no O-line, depletion of his supporting cast, and poor coaching somehow makes Alex Smith a good quarterback? Solid logic :lol

And actually, Kansas City actually could have drafted a potential franchise quarterback with their first fucking overall pick, but got fraidy-scared and settled for another game manager....

Have fun with Andy "Fat Norv" Reid! :lol

FkLA
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
^Youre a dumbass if you think any QB this year is worthy of being the 1st overall pick.

mojorizen7
02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Arizona Cardinals FAIL.
Fuck 'em. They deserve it.
Now they're going to have to go draft a QB outside the top 10.

Great trade for SF. Highway robbery actually. I figured Smith would've garnered a 4th or 3rd tops. Still, QB's are expensive if you decide to go get one in FA or trade.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
^Youre a dumbass if you think any QB this year is worthy of being the 1st overall pick.
You're a dumbass if you think someone like Joeckel is worthy of a first overall pick in a QB-obsessed league, but then again, you also think Boris Diaw is better than David Lee :lol

The thing is, maybe Geno turns out to be a bust, but he at least has the potential to be a great quarterback with the right development.... back before the new rookie pay scale, I could see the logic in being risk-averse in the draft with QB's, but now there's really no excuse... and if Geno sucks ass, you can always tank for another quarterback next year (Carolina did this when they realized Clausen blew chunks)....

Taking a risk on Geno Smith's potential is much better than trading the farm for Alex Smith's proven mediocrity, tbh....

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Rivers sucking due to no O-line, depletion of his supporting cast, and poor coaching somehow makes Alex Smith a good quarterback? Solid logic :lol

And actually, Kansas City actually could have drafted a potential franchise quarterback with their first fucking overall pick, but got fraidy-scared and settled for another game manager....
:depressed:lol
Have fun with Andy "Fat Norv" Reid! :lol

Oh that's right I forgot, Rivers has an excuse for every year of his career. :depressed

Did I strike a nerve? Its ok, your team will get some balls and do something eventually.

JMarkJohns
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I think the 49ers will have like 13-15 picks. They will be active in moving up for key prospects. Amazing fortune to hit your stride at a time when replenishing through the draft is both cost effective and easily available through trade.

Lincoln
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Geno smith is horrible.

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
There is no franchise QB in this draft. Not one of them can step in from day 1 and lead a team. Wouldn't want to waste a top pick on a QB who won't be in the league long enough to justify it. Exhibit A: Ryan Leaf, hey, wasn't he a Charger?

FkLA
02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
You're a dumbass if you think someone like Joeckel is worthy of a first overall pick in a QB-obsessed league, but then again, you also think Boris Diaw is better than David Lee :lol

The thing is, maybe Geno turns out to be a bust, but he at least has the potential to be a great quarterback with the right development.... back before the new rookie pay scale, I could see the logic in being risk-averse in the draft with QB's, but now there's really no excuse... and if Geno sucks ass, you can always tank for another quarterback next year (Carolina did this when they realized Clausen blew chunks)....

Taking a risk on Geno Smith's potential is much better than trading the farm for Alex Smith's proven mediocrity, tbh....

So because the NFL is a QB-dominant league youd rather take Geno Smith whos a longshot to be a franchise QB over taking someone that has a good chance of starting for you 5-10 years? :lol

KC gave up too much for Alex Smith btw (although I wouldnt call two picks the farm), I wasnt commenting on that. I dont think its a good move since Ive never thought of him as much more than a game manager, but wasting the 1st pick on Geno Smith would be like 100 times worse of a move. Its one thing to take a risk in the mid-later rounds and another to take a risk based on potential with the 1st overall pick, dipshit.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
There is no franchise QB in this draft. Not one of them can step in from day 1 and lead a team. Wouldn't want to waste a top pick on a QB who won't be in the league long enough to justify it. Exhibit A: Ryan Leaf, hey, wasn't he a Charger?
Continuing to rebuild and sucking for 1-2 more years is a better option than wasting an early 2nd round pick (something that always has great value) on a stop gap who is known commodity as a game managing QB, especially since Smith far from guarantees the Chiefs becoming a competitive team.

I agree completely with you on Geno Smith tho, he's a gimmicky B12 QB.

Clipper Nation
02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Like I said, maybe Geno does turn into a bust... but the Chiefs haven't drafted a first-round QB since Blackledge and have traded for other teams' leftovers countless times with nothing to show for it.... at some point, doing the same thing all over again becomes insanity....

I also find it funny how ShinerBlack is trying to deflect from this shitfest by bashing the Chargers' franchise history.... newsflash: just like the Chargers, the Chiefs haven't done shit since the 1960's.... it's like a Browns fan trying to talk shit to a Lions fan :lol

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Like I said, maybe Geno does turn into a bust... but the Chiefs haven't drafted a first-round QB since Blackledge and have traded for other teams' leftovers countless times with nothing to show for it.... at some point, doing the same thing all over again becomes insanity....

I also find it funny how ShinerBlack is trying to deflect from this shitfest by bashing the Chargers' franchise history.... newsflash: just like the Chargers, the Chiefs haven't done shit since the 1960's.... it's like a Browns fan trying to talk shit to a Lions fan :lol:lol
Its called the pot calling the kettle black argument. What?You ain't down?:lol calm down killer no need for butt hurt here, season ain't even close to starting yet

ShinerBlack
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Continuing to rebuild and sucking for 1-2 more years is a better option than wasting an early 2nd round pick (something that always has great value) on a stop gap who is known commodity as a game managing QB, especially since Smith far from guarantees the Chiefs becoming a competitive team.

I agree completely with you on Geno Smith tho, he's a gimmicky B12 QB.

Yeah but when your team has no idea how to rebuild, as a fan you gotta take what you can get...

Raven
02-28-2013, 01:46 AM

the problem is not taking smith, it is giving up the first second rounder for a player who was not going to stay there..

J.T.
02-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Sorry posted this and had to run to work. SF made out pretty good with this trade, but gotta bank on Kaepernick not getting hurt. Dude did pretty good with not much NFL experience so hopefully he continues to get better. But if he gets hurt, they no longer have a backup QB who has proven he can win in Harbaugh's system. At the same time though, decent enough move for the Chiefs in a draft that definitely doesn't have a franchise QB. Although that has a lot to do with last season's QB class setting the bar pretty high. I just don't see a solid, high first round QB that you can build around in this draft. Maybe take Matt Barkley and cross your fingers that he works out. But now KC can use that #1 on another position.

TIMMYtoZO
02-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Nice trade for the 49ers. They won't do much this year, but those picks will help. They still need a QB. Kaepernick isn't the QB who will be leading them to a title.

J.T.
02-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Chiefs probably real pissed Andrew Luck didn't go back to Stanford for his senior year right about now.

Brunodf
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM

BUMP
03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
But if he gets hurt, they no longer have a backup QB who has proven he can win in Harbaugh's system.

It doesn't really matter. The whole "you need a backup QB" is one of the most overrated pieces of advice in NFL history. What super bowl caliber team has a backup QB that is capable of stepping in and still taking that team to a Super Bowl anyway?

Great deal for SF. They're so loaded all around, you could alternate me and Fabbs back there at QB and they'd still win atleast 6 games.

DUNCANownsKOBE
03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
It doesn't really matter. The whole "you need a backup QB" is one of the most overrated pieces of advice in NFL history. What super bowl caliber team has a backup QB that is capable of stepping in and still taking that team to a Super Bowl anyway?

The 2001 Patriots I SAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDD

That was a joke, they were a fluke example. I don't understand why people give a shit about having a good backup QB. Maybe back when you could Dilfer your way to a superbowl it mattered because you could have a backup game manager, but nowadays if your starting QB goes down you're pretty much fucked.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
03-01-2013, 09:41 PM
This is why the Chiefs are the Chiefs and the 49ers are the 49ers

J.T.
03-02-2013, 11:28 AM
This is why the Chiefs are the Chiefs and the 49ers are the 49ers

Reminds me of this, tbh.

WPOZbG7ibEE

KL2
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM

The Chiefs may do well this season however they'll do absolutely in the playoffs (if they manage to make it) nothing with Reid at coach, he's fucking horrible, I know I was an eagles fan. His play calling is predictable and idiotic, this guy will throw on 3rd 2 and rush on 4th and 5, he'll totally abandon the running game (even if it's doing well) as well and stick to just passing.

symple19
03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
you could alternate Bump and Fabbs back there at QB and they'd still win atleast 6 games.

Who would be the third down guy??

Avante
03-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Now we'll see what Smith is really all about.

Clipper Nation
03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
What happened to your Niners, faggot?

:lol Monkeyball Kaepernick choking

symple19
03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWKQSDRekBM

Avante
03-14-2013, 03:13 AM
What happened to your Niners, faggot?

:lol Monkeyball Kaepernick choking

Pretty hard to hit a receiver when he's being held for three yards.

Blake
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM

We already saw. That's why he was sent to Kansas City.

Avante
03-14-2013, 10:49 PM
We already saw. That's why he was sent to Kansas City.

Joe Montana went to KC.

Steve Young came from TB.

Fran Tarkenton was sent to NY.

Brett Favre played for how many teams?

Do I really need to list all those great QB's who played for more than one team?

Do you know anything at all?

Blake
03-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Do you know anything at all?

This is basically why you get shit flung at you on a threadly basis.

Avante
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
This is basically why you get shit flung at you on a threadly basis.

Who cares?

Here ya go slick, other great QB's with multiple teams.

Warren Moon
Kenny Stabler
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Randall Cunningham