PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be sad . . .

smeagol
07-05-2005, 02:08 AM
. . . if we become like the Laker Fans. Some of them liked Snaq, some liked Kobe. And they quarrelled over who was better or who was more loved. Same thing is happening in this board with Manu and Timmy.

The only good thing is that Timmy and Manu proly don't give a rat's ass 'cause they dig each other, while Kobe and Snaq . . . well you know the story.

shyne
07-05-2005, 02:14 AM
I love them both but Manu is the fucken man!!

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 02:16 AM
. . . if we become like the Laker Fans. Some of them liked Snaq, some liked Kobe. And they quarrelled over who was better or who was more loved. Same thing is happening in this board with Manu and Timmy.

The only good thing is that Timmy and Manu proly don't give a rat's ass 'cause they dig each other, while Kobe and Snaq . . . well you know the story.
will never happen :elephant

timvp
07-05-2005, 02:24 AM
As long as fans learn to like the team more than any individual player, it'll be fine.

Timoha
07-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Hm. I know what you mean. Unfortunatly I've kind of felt like this myself. I love both tim and Manu and the SPurs as a whole, but I am, so to speak, Tim's number one fan. And unfortunatly how some people or jouranlists praise Manu over Tim makes me love Manu a bit less.

I wonder if this kind of talk was happening when Tim joined the Spurs and people were arguing whose team it was and who was the better player?

baseline bum
07-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Tim's a lot easier to love than Shaq is. Tim's never come to camp 50 pounds overweight... and Manu's a hell of a lot better of a person than Kobe. I do see Spurs fans becoming like Laker fan with their cockiness though. I used to see Laker fans cheer for the other team just because they wanted the game to be interesting. I wasn't pleased by what I saw from the fans in game 6.

Horry For 3!
07-05-2005, 03:35 AM
I don't see it becoming like that, everyone knows they're both good.

SuperManu!!!
07-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Thank god spurs players don't think like fans.....If they had our thoughts, they would be all day fighting for who's number 1

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 07:03 AM
This team begins and ends with Tim Duncan.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Actually, the Spurs have been ending with Manu a lot more lately.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Without Tim Duncan the Spurs would be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone the Finals.

TheTruth
07-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Without Tim Duncan the Spurs would be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone the Finals.
Agreed, but the Spurs wouldn't have sniffed the Finals w/o Manu.

samikeyp
07-05-2005, 08:35 AM
As long as fans learn to like the team more than any individual player, it'll be fine.

Well said. Sadly...that is becoming less and less the case in sports today.

GrandeDavid
07-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Tim Duncan makes good players great, simple as that. Tim is THE MAN. But I would never even try to drive a wedge between Duncan or Ginobili. They are one in the same. As a Spurs fan, I care more about the fan involvement and cameraderie. I like the good sportsmanship, the communty involvement, the community spirit when they are gunning for championships. Individual players I appreciate very much, but none more than the other. But in Tim Duncan, you are talking about one of the greatest players ever.

ObiwanGinobili
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I love them all.
I like the team and it's parts. (players, coaches, mngmt. etc)
I'm an equal oppurtunity lover. my fav. player is Manu. But I don't hate on any of the others. And there are times I get more enamored of Timmy, BIg Shot or Bowen.... becasue they've been shinning and Manu's been lacking. But then Manu does somethign crazy like cut the lane, do a handstand pass it around his back and over to the corner to himself then hits a 3 standing on one foot and tooting the national anthem on a harmonica..................and he;s my #1 again.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Shaq and Kobe helped create that division.

Tim and Manu are united.

No worries.

ALVAREZ6
07-05-2005, 11:49 AM
The Spurs are the good guys, the heroes, and we all love heroes.

Shaq is a 400 pound monster and Kobe is a greedy rapist.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
The initiator of the thread speaks as if the degeneration of Spurs fans into Laker fans is a hypothetical.

Sheyittt, it already happened.

Sense
07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
This team begins and ends with Tim Duncan.

talk about starting an argument...

ambchang
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Agreed, but the Spurs wouldn't have sniffed the Finals w/o Manu.
How soon we forget about 99 and 03.
It's silly to say that Manu won the championship because he stepped up.
How many championships would Jordan have won without Pippen? Magic without Kareem/Worthy? Russell without 7 other HoFers? Moses without Dr. J (or the other way)? Hakeem without hmmm..... Rudy T? Shaq wihtout Kobe and Phil Jackson? Isiah without Dumars, Laimbeer and Rodman?
Fact of the matter is, Duncan was irreplacable, with the whole Spurs system around him. Manu, on the other hand, could be replaced and the Spurs still could have won.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2005, 02:32 PM
This is still a big man's league. Look at what happened when a team was built around Kobe this year. That would be pretty much the same outcome if you built a team around Saint Emmanuel.

Tek_XX
07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I hope you guys are argueing just for the fun of it, because it doesn't matter who's better as long as the spurs win. And that's the difference between spurs fans and some other fans.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't think that will ever happen! There is no way you can't love Tim! and there is no way you can't love Manu! it just won't happen!

TOP-CHERRY
07-05-2005, 03:07 PM
talk about starting an argument...
Not really. It's just FACT. :D
This team does begin and end with Tim Duncan. Doesn't mean Manu isn't the 2nd best, and Tony is 3rd. It's just the way it is.

:)

Rydia
07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Either way...they need eachother. Tim was awesome the first two championship and needed Manu for this one. The first one (that Manu won) Manu needed Tim because he wasn't as good. A one two punch is the way we do it!

Trainwreck2100
07-05-2005, 03:22 PM
The key word in the original post is WE. We won't, however as the Spurs win more we will have more members on the wagon, and they will argue amongst themselves.

austinfan
07-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Why does one Spur player have to be "the best" (whatever that means)? I enjoy all of them for the different skills they bring:

I like Manu for his flair and the intensity he brings to each game.
I like Tim Duncan for his classic, effortless style and his anti-hype approach to life.
I like Bruce Bowen for his take-no-prisoners defense.
I like Devin Brown for being a San Antonio native and an up-and-coming talent.
I like Tony Parker for opening up the court for his teammates.

But most of all, I like the fact that they all play together as a team. When the Spurs are in a passing and shooting groove like that, it's a beautiful thing to watch.

vanvannen
07-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Sorry to read this has become another Tim/Manu thread with everyone picking sides. I don't think Smeagol meant that. He actually meant the opposite. Let's all realize we don't need to pick one as they are both on OUR team. Let's enjoy them as long as we can, and pray for more rings to come.
I guess this has to do with so many argentinean posters who can't take any bad comment about Manu. Guys, we are just building a hostile environment with this. We love Manu, he is argentinean and thanks god for that, but he is not MJ. Let's just put things into perspective. He is the best ARGENTINEAN player of all time. Nothing more, nothing less. He could be greater, but we will have to wait and see. Right now, lets cut the crap, praise him when he does good, and acknoledge it when he doesn't.
We are starting to make Spurs fans not like Manu because of this, and that is just not good for anyone.
And by the way, Tim Duncan is one of the best players that ever walked this Earth. Let's not forget that.