PDA

View Full Version : Pop needs to be called out....again

UZER
02-28-2013, 03:09 AM
I'll say it again, Pop has had an entire year to come up with some sort of adjustment to counter teams putting a bigger player on Parker like OKC in the playoffs. Even more if you consider Phil was doing this to him 10 years ago. Instead it's more of the same

This is a supposedly a genius coach, but his refusal to make any adjustments to the game plan when teams go big on Parker is laughable and really eye opening. Is it really that easy to beat the Spurs?

I don't wanna hear "4 rings, 4 rings!" This is about this team, right now. Seriously, no adjustments? I mentioned this the other night against Golden State when they did the exact same thing to Parker in the 4th. Oh but but Parker was so tired. Oh but but Pop is giving us the best opportunity with this team. This is why people are always bringing up trading Parker. Its not about being a Parker hater. Its just a flawed system that's too easy to shut down, but that still does not excuse not making any kind of adjustments other than sending parker to the corner (basically removing him all together from the equation) and giving the ball an old broken down a ginobili.

Pop has beaten this system (phx) plenty of times so he of all people should know what other teams are gonna do against it and have a plan B. To just accept that "oh well they shut down parker" without making any adjustments is pretty pathetic. You chose to run this system, its on you.

I can accept losing with this team if I saw some sort of attempt to change the offense scheme when others teams do this to Parker, especially in the 4th quarter, and the other teams still manage to beat us. But instead I see bigger guy on Tony, Spurs turn into the Bobcats unable to get buckets. Unacceptable for a hall of fame coach.

I love Parker as a Spur. He has made great strides is his game to become an all around player. I want nothing more than to he wrong and win a championship with this being his team. His decision making is still a little suspect sometimes but he's come a long way and is doing everything he can so I'm not putting this all on him. Its on Pop. I mean we are still dealing with him playing freaking Bonner and Blair after all this time!

Maybe he's smarter than us all and saving the adjustment for the playoffs. History tells us different.

*in before "its only February, 4 rings fa**ot, its only one game"*.

Splits
02-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Manu needs to be called out. Again.

Dude is a scrub and shouldn't see the floor. Missing a free throw to ice a game is inexcusable.

UZER
02-28-2013, 03:19 AM
I don't disagree with the Manu take either. He needs to reign it in and play within his physical capabilities at this point in his career. His helter skelter play is really hurting the team since he's just not successful with it anymore and keeps turning the ball over....which brings up what I mentioned int the first post, Pop sending Parker to the corner and giving Ginobili is Russian roulette more than anything else right now.

KaiRMD1
02-28-2013, 04:03 AM
I agree with UZER, Parker is the leader and keeps the offense going. Once he's been taken out, that's it. Hell, when you look back at the three rings, Parker wasn't really useful until 2007 because the Cavs couldn't stop him. Pop needs to come up with a better game plan because the Spurs are liable to get taken out in the first round even if the other team figures out how to stop the offense like the Thunder figured out.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 04:32 AM
I'm really learning to enjoy the losses when I read stuff like this.

hooperflash
02-28-2013, 04:47 AM

ST GONE WILD!!

AussieFanKurt
02-28-2013, 05:18 AM

I wonder how many wrists are slit after these loses

UZER
02-28-2013, 05:47 AM
Selective reading if you think this is about the loss tonight.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 06:11 AM
Selective reading if you think this is about the loss tonight.Zero chance you would have posted this thread after a victory.

UZER
02-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Zero chance you would have posted this thread after a victory.

exstatic
02-28-2013, 06:47 AM

will_spurs
02-28-2013, 06:53 AM

Doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence, third time is a pattern...

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence, third time is a pattern...Yes, after every loss this happens. It's a pattern.

Fabbs
02-28-2013, 07:40 AM
http://cliknget.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/aaaa.jpg

exstatic
Rumpstatic?

Captivus
02-28-2013, 07:45 AM
One thing that i didnt like, was the Spurs not switching and letting TD con Jermaine, put Taigo on him... or double team him...something...
Thats my biggest complain about last nights game.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Fabbs sure loves looking at those pictures.

MultiTroll
02-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Fabbs
02-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Excellent OP.

PollyAnna Poppers refusing to address the points per usual. :lol
Zero chance sHe will.

SA210
02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
I'll say it again, Pop has had an entire year to come up with some sort of adjustment to counter teams putting a bigger player on Parker like OKC in the playoffs. Even more if you consider Phil was doing this to him 10 years ago. Instead it's more of the same

This is a supposedly a genius coach, but his refusal to make any adjustments to the game plan when teams go big on Parker is laughable and really eye opening. Is it really that easy to beat the Spurs?

I don't wanna hear "4 rings, 4 rings!" This is about this team, right now. Seriously, no adjustments? I mentioned this the other night against Golden State when they did the exact same thing to Parker in the 4th. Oh but but Parker was so tired. Oh but but Pop is giving us the best opportunity with this team. This is why people are always bringing up trading Parker. Its not about being a Parker hater. Its just a flawed system that's too easy to shut down, but that still does not excuse not making any kind of adjustments other than sending parker to the corner (basically removing him all together from the equation) and giving the ball an old broken down a ginobili.

Pop has beaten this system (phx) plenty of times so he of all people should know what other teams are gonna do against it and have a plan B. To just accept that "oh well they shut down parker" without making any adjustments is pretty pathetic. You chose to run this system, its on you.

I can accept losing with this team if I saw some sort of attempt to change the offense scheme when others teams do this to Parker, especially in the 4th quarter, and the other teams still manage to beat us. But instead I see bigger guy on Tony, Spurs turn into the Bobcats unable to get buckets. Unacceptable for a hall of fame coach.

I love Parker as a Spur. He has made great strides is his game to become an all around player. I want nothing more than to he wrong and win a championship with this being his team. His decision making is still a little suspect sometimes but he's come a long way and is doing everything he can so I'm not putting this all on him. Its on Pop. I mean we are still dealing with him playing freaking Bonner and Blair after all this time!

Maybe he's smarter than us all and saving the adjustment for the playoffs. History tells us different.

*in before "its only February, 4 rings fa**ot, its only one game"*.

:tu:tu

Russo21
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Didn't watch the game, was in Melbourne for a Linkin Park concert.

Pop certaintly does some strange things. I call him out for being a funny fucker though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/571752-san-antonio-spurs-the-top-ten-gregg-popovich-quotes-of-all-time#/articles/571752-san-antonio-spurs-the-top-ten-gregg-popovich-quotes-of-all-time

I think if this list was updated the 'nasty' speech would be right up there ;) Anyway, we'd won 18 games in a row at home, all streaks have to come to an end. And shit happens. At least the Lakers are still 2 games out of the playoff race ;) That's funny stuff right there.

pgardn
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
The OP has a good general point in that the opponent's PG should theoretically find himself in a defensive mismatch. How does the offense take advantage of this? It's easy to call out a mismatch,but can be difficult to hurt the opponent on the fly with a 24 second clock. Often times when a defensive team accidentally finds themselves in a mismatch they instinctively revert to a fairly effective trapping zone without even purposely wanting the mismatch. Or the offensive team takes way too long trying to take advantageSo it is interesting.

Parker should be able to pop a jumper or blow by and dish if he finds length at the rim. But the playoffs allow the bigger stronger quick guys to use way too much hand checking on the perimeter IMO. Thebo used this effectively last year and it really works in the 4th when Parker is tired AND refs swallow the whistle.

therealtruth
02-28-2013, 08:29 AM
The Spurs have to hope that the teams they face in the playoffs won't figure it out because the blueprint for how to stop Parker has been out there for a while. It's not like the Spurs ever countered. In the past they were able to rely more on Manu and Duncan when it happened.

jjktkk
02-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't wanna hear "4 rings, 4 rings!"

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :pop:

jjktkk
02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Excellent OP.

PollyAnna Poppers refusing to address the points per usual. :lol
Zero chance sHe will.

:pop: Quit posting and go puck up my drycleaning.

Seventyniner
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. Once is a chance, twice a coincidence, third time is a pattern...

...and if the Spurs win 60 games, they'll have 22 losses. If the third time is a pattern, what about the 22nd time?

Blake
02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I think Pop is digging the loss.

Gives him something to rant about.

UZER
02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Parker doesn't get tire from running around all game. He has excellent stamina. He wears down when bigger physical player starts pushing riding his hip and picking him up right across half court.

I say from the moment pop recognizes this switch with the bigger defender on him, start Parker off the ball and run him off of numerous picks to have the defender chasing and chasing and fighting through picks to wear HIM down like they used to do with Reggie Miller. Granted, Parker is not the shooter Miller was, but his mid range has improved dramatically, plus coming off of tight curls has the defense scrambling. Parker faster and has more stamina than most players in the NBA.

Don't just leave him out there to dry and try to run pick and roll over and over. Pop knows that doesn't translate in the playoffs. Ask Phoenix.

The problem with someone else bringing up the ball is, and again this goes back to being on Pop, he has spent all year shuffle the back up pg duties that no one is comfortable with the job at this point. In the playoffs, he will more than likely go back to Neal who is a turnover waiting to happen because he's not a true pg. This is where Pops constant tinkering with the lineup hurts the team come playoff time. So what happens? We have no one else to bring the up the in the playoffs which bring back to the first problem.

Its on Pop.

therealtruth
02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Parker doesn't get tire from running around all game. He has excellent stamina. He wears down when bigger physical player starts pushing riding his hip and picking him up right across half court.

I say from the moment pop recognizes this switch with the bigger defender on him, start Parker off the ball and run him off of numerous picks to have the defender chasing and chasing and fighting through picks to wear HIM down like they used to do with Reggie Miller. Granted, Parker is not the shooter Miller was, but his mid range has improved dramatically, plus coming off of tight curls has the defense scrambling. Parker faster and has more stamina than most players in the NBA.

Don't just leave him out there to dry and try to run pick and roll over and over. Pop knows that doesn't translate in the playoffs. Ask Phoenix.

The problem with someone else bringing up the ball is, and again this goes back to being on Pop, he has spent all year shuffle the back up pg duties that no one is comfortable with the job at this point. In the playoffs, he will more than likely go back to Neal who is a turnover waiting to happen because he's not a true pg. This is where Pops constant tinkering with the lineup hurts the team come playoff time. So what happens? We have no one else to bring the up the in the playoffs which bring back to the first problem.

Its on Pop.

The Spurs should have dealt for Eric Maynor. He's the closest to TJ Ford that was available.

silverblk mystix
02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
exstatic
Rumpstatic?

:lmao

Fabbs = underrated

silverblk mystix
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
To the OP - this is a multiple choice quiz- please choose the correct Pollyanna Popper/Popsucker response ;

A) 4 rings faggot

B) Who would you replace Pop with?

C) gnsf after a spurs loss lol

D) Hall of Fame coach - what have you done?

E) don't start threads you are a ____ ____ & _____!!!!

MR-Clutch
02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
First, this could have been posted in harlems thread.Second,The problem is also Parker decides he has something to prove when they put a long defender on him, and as a result takes poor % shots. This then leads to throwing our offense out of sync because Parker is no longer a willing passing. Then, when he does pass our guys that rely on him are completely out of rythmn because they don't know when to expect the pass. It's a vicious cycle. This is why kawhis offensive development is so important.

Blake
02-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I say Pop should have shot the free throw for Manu.

Blake
02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
To the OP - this is a multiple choice quiz- please choose the correct Pollyanna Popper/Popsucker response ;

B) Who would you replace Pop with?

Your typical response after being asked that question is to change the subject and/or run away.

trypldubl
02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

Its on Pop.

Dude the backup pg situation is a joke. Right now Pop's flavor of the moment is having manu running backup pg with mills at the two spot. If Pop would have just rode out the ups and downs with Nando since the beginning of the season then maybe by now he would be rounding into form. Pop did same thing with Splitter the past few seasons. If Splitter had been given the confidence early on then maybe he would not have wet the bed against Fisher in the playoffs last year.

I think Pop is a great coach and no one wants him fired or anything dumb like that. Its just that this team is playing better defense and has a shot at winning getting to the Finals. I think this loss was a good loss because it seems like more and more teams might start to use the same scheme to defend Parker. Now Pop might have no choice but to figure something out to counter this issue.

maverick1948
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I nominate KaiRMD1, Word7j, and as chairman of the committee Uzer to be on a committee to go to Pop and call him out to his face. Pop would end up in the hospital from laughing so hard at these 3. The would have to sew him up because he would bust a gut.

22pts
4 boards
8 assists
1 steal
1 TURNOVER

39 mins

WOW that is a lousy PG. Trade him before he scores 30 pt get 12 asst 10 boards and 10 steals with 0 TO and 0 fouls.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, do you think any player did substantially worse than usual this game compared to how he usually plays?

Maybe more than one?

No?

Everyone was great except Parker?

OK, then.

UZER
02-28-2013, 11:20 AM
I nominate KaiRMD1, Word7j, and as chairman of the committee Uzer to be on a committee to go to Pop and call him out to his face. Pop would end up in the hospital from laughing so hard at these 3. The would have to sew him up because he would bust a gut.

22pts
4 boards
8 assists
1 steal
1 TURNOVER

39 mins

WOW that is a lousy PG. Trade him before he scores 30 pt get 12 asst 10 boards and 10 steals with 0 TO and 0 fouls.

Man people really don't read on here. I was very complementary of Parker and said its not on him, its on Pop. I mentioned people bringing up trading him because this pg driven offense doesn't work in the playoffs. But again I said its not his fault when he's left out to dry by Pop.

UZER
02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Hey guys, do you think any player did substantially worse than usual this game compared to how he usually plays?

Maybe more than one?

No?

OK, then.

Lol still think its about this game.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Lol still think its about this game.lol you aren't answering the question.

trypldubl
02-28-2013, 11:40 AM

Maybe more than one?

No?

OK, then.

Dude this thread is not about just how the team as a whole played last night. If that were the case then we would be posting in the game or quick grades thread.

To answer the question, most of them did not play well last night. If they did then the Spurs would have won by double digits. The issue was how the offense was run during the final 5 minutes and in overtime in a tight game where the defense is focused on Parker.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Dude this thread is not about just how the team as a whole played last night. If that were the case then we would be posting in the game or quick grades thread.

To answer the question, most of them did not play well last night. If they did then the Spurs would have won by double digits. The issue was how the offense was run during the final 5 minutes and in overtime in a tight game where the defense is focused on Parker.Kind of answered its own question then.

Good job, thread!

UZER
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
lol you aren't answering the question.

Classic Chump thinking he wins arguments by trying to corner you with a question.

There's nothing to see here...move along.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Classic Chump thinking he wins arguments by trying to corner you with a question.

There's nothing to see here...move along.'Not much of an argument to win tbh.

It's hilarious that you are completely terrified at the thought of answering though. Doesn't even have to change your argument.

TJastal
02-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Manu needs to be called out. Again.

Dude is a scrub and shouldn't see the floor. Missing a free throw to ice a game is inexcusable.

:lmao

trypldubl
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
'Not much of an argument to win tbh.

It's hilarious that you are completely terrified at the thought of answering though. Doesn't even have to change your argument.

Dude your just sniping as usual....aren't you really kunking funt?

will_spurs
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Hey Chump, do you think that might have to do with the choices of the other coach?

Maybe more than one?

Do you think other coaches might catch on to the fact that putting a tall, athletic defender on Parker bothers him?

No?

Do you?

Actually Parker was great, so I'm not sure what you mean :)

OK, then.

Keep your head in the sand, you seem to like it.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Dude your just sniping as usual....aren't you really kunking funt?What do you think?

benstanfield
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Yep, better overhaul the offense in early March.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Hey Chump, do you think that might have to do with the choices of the other coach?Some of it might.

Do you think other coaches might catch on to the fact that putting a tall, athletic defender on Parker bothers him?If they don't know it's a possibility by now, they shouldn't be coaching.

Do you?Yes.

Actually Parker was great, so I'm not sure what you mean :)It's clear you don't. :)

Keep your head in the sand, you seem to like it.Keep bitching after losses. I like that.

trypldubl
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Yep, better overhaul the offense in early March.

It's called adjustments.

Bill_Brasky
02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Ball movement stopped in OT plain and simple. Did anyone besides the big 3 touch the ball in OT?

benstanfield
02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
It's called adjustments.

"Adjustments" being your stand-in word for actual ideas?

elbamba
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Its on Pop.

I think that it is a mistake to run away from pick and rolls with Splitter late in games. Tim was missing a step last night. He scored but he missed what seemed to be a bunch of easy shots. I think Splitter is a little better at getting to the rim on the pick and rolls, usually becasue he has a worse defensive player on him.

At the beginning of the year, Splitter was putting games away by scoring in bunches in the second half of games just by running the pick and rolls. I see the Spurs go to him less and less now.

elbamba
02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Ball movement stopped in OT plain and simple. Did anyone besides the big 3 touch the ball in OT?

Not only were the big three the only ones to touch the ball, but it was always over dribbling by one or two of them and then shooting a bad shot. There is no excuse for scoring one point through 4 minutes of overtime.

silverblk mystix
02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Dude the backup pg situation is a joke. Right now Pop's flavor of the moment is having manu running backup pg with mills at the two spot. If Pop would have just rode out the ups and downs with Nando since the beginning of the season then maybe by now he would be rounding into form. Pop did same thing with Splitter the past few seasons. If Splitter had been given the confidence early on then maybe he would not have wet the bed against Fisher in the playoffs last year.

I think Pop is a great coach and no one wants him fired or anything dumb like that. Its just that this team is playing better defense and has a shot at winning getting to the Finals. I think this loss was a good loss because it seems like more and more teams might start to use the same scheme to defend Parker. Now Pop might have no choice but to figure something out to counter this issue.

BINGO!

(DeColo and/or Mills - same difference - Just pick one.)

will_spurs
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Some of it might.
If they don't know it's a possibility by now, they shouldn't be coaching.
Yes.

So you mean there's a problem, but mentioning it is bitching... I wonder what this board is for.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
So you mean there's a problem, but mentioning it is bitching... I wonder what this board is for.Oh, it's definitely in no small part for bitching.

trypldubl
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
"Adjustments" being your stand-in word for actual ideas?

Dude there is a mismatch somewhere. You could run Manu off multiple screens to get a decent shot on the perimeter. Post Tim up high and depending on the mismatch post up Kawhi or run staggered screens along the baseline to get splitter a quick open look. The op even made some suggestions about playing parker off the ball. Have his defender chasing him around multiple screens and catch the ball curling toward the lane. Sort of like the way Rip did with the pistons. Parker's mid range jumper has improved enough that he can actually do this.

You don't have to change the whole offense but your adjustment to this should not be just running the pick and roll over and over unitl something happens. Pop also makes Manu run the same pick and roll instead of Parker but Manu is not quick enough at this point to get by his defender on a consistent basis. His ball handling trying to split the screen sometimes is iffy too.

letmk
02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Dude there is a mismatch somewhere. You could run Manu off multiple screens to get a decent shot on the perimeter. Post Tim up high and depending on the mismatch post up Kawhi or run staggered screens down low to get splitter an open look. The op even made some suggestions about playing parker off the ball. Have his defender chasing him around multiple screens and catch the ball curling toward the lane. Sort of like the way Rip did with the pistons. Parker's mid range jumper has improved enough that he can actually do this.

You don't have to change the whole offense but your adjustment to this should not be just running the pick and roll over and over unitl something happens. Pop also makes Manu run the same pick and roll instead of Parker but Manu is not quick enough at this point to get by his defender on a consistent basis. His ball handling trying to split the screen sometimes is iffy too.

This. When a longer and stronger can fight through the screen and chase Tony all over the court, it's at least not efficient to let Tony continuously dribble left-and-right, back-and-forth for the penetration.

And the assessment about Manu is also right on the point. Manu can still be very effective when he plays a supplemental role in offense. That way, he is just another player to opponents and their defense is not focusing on him.

Blake
02-28-2013, 01:08 PM

My favorite game of the season so far was the Bulls game where the Royal 3 sat.

The ball movement was immaculate. A thing of beauty.

UZER
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
This. When a longer and stronger can fight through the screen and chase Tony all over the court, it's at least not efficient to let Tony continuously dribble left-and-right, back-and-forth for the penetration.

And the assessment about Manu is also right on the point. Manu can still be very effective when he plays a supplemental role in offense. That way, he is just another player to opponents and their defense is not focusing on him.

Yet this has been the go-to offense in the playoffs during fourth quarters of games for the past 3 years or more years.... Tony dribble left - pick - cutoff, Tony dribble right - pick - cutoff, left - pick - cutoff, right - pick - cutoff, clock wings down, bad shot, rinse - repeat. Spurs eliminated.

Pop - "they just made shots"

Like I've said, I know we can't win every year, but losing the same way every year without making adjustments is the definition of insanity, and its on the head coach.

Pop
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Yet this has been the go-to offense in the playoffs during fourth quarters of games for the past 3 years or more years.... Tony dribble left - pick - cutoff, Tony dribble right - pick - cutoff, left - pick - cutoff, right - pick - cutoff, clock wings down, bad shot, rinse - repeat. Spurs eliminated.

Pop - "they just made shots"

Like I've said, I know we can't win every year, but losing the same way every year without making adjustments is the definition of insanity, and its on the head coach.

We lost because their role players outplayed the mighty Spurs bench last year but Spurstalk is still in love with the mighty bench and think something is wrong with TP for some reason...

EricB
02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Can't wait till the day pop quits.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Not sure how this is news to some of you guys. Stopping Parker has been the way teams have beaten the Spurs in the playoffs since Kobe and Shaq were still together.

Blake
02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Can't wait till the day pop quits.

Cool.

Who would you bring in as the new head coach?

silverblk mystix
02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Cool.

Who would you bring in as the new head coach?

"popsucker" sighting

Blake
02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Your typical response after being asked that question is to change the subject and/or run away.

Blake
02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
"popsucker" sighting

Labeling is wrong.

Wake up.

silverblk mystix
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Labeling is wrong.

Wake up.

:lol